Lizzie McGuire

Dear Lizzie

Aired Unknown Jan 24, 2003 on Disney Channel

• Lizzie becomes the website's advice columnist and does very well in the job. A lot of people ask Lizzie for advice (including Larry, Kate and Gordo) and tell her their problems.

So close but so far away.

This is an episode where a lot of Lizzie/Gordo fans have been waiting for. Now the main thing I'd like to focus on is the last scene, where Gordo writes an anonymous letter to Lizzie confessing that he likes 'his best friend as more than a friend.' I'm sure everyone who recognizes this situation in real life and every Lizzie/Gordo fan got goosebumps when they were watching this scene. Lizzie said: "I couldn't let confused guy down," when Gordo responded: "You didn't".
    This was the moment where Gordo openly admitted that he liked Lizzie as more than a friend. After this, Gordo repeats the letter he sent to Lizzie. The answer Lizzie gave him was really wonderful. "I wish I could tell you what to do, but I can't. All I can say is just follow your heart, it'll tell you what's right." This is an advice everyone who is in the same position as Gordo should listen to. When Lizzie walks away, Gordo tries to tell her but he chickens out. This shows how hard it is to let your best friend know that you feel more for him/her. He knows if he tells her, nothing is ever gonna be the same. As a finishing touch in this amazing scene you hear the song "Out of Reach" by BBmak, which is perfectly chosen for this scene. If you watched all the Lizzie McGuire episodes and if you're a Lizzie/Gordon fan you'll love this scene. The dialoges are great, the atmosphere is perfect and the music is well chosen. A really must-see for every Lizzie fan!

Definately 10 ouf of 10!
  • With Great Power There Must Also Come Great Responsibility.

The power to mould the actions of others. With that power there must also come great responsibility. But like with everything else, even the most judicious use of power can have unforeseen consequences.

Lizzie becomes the advice columnist for the school paper. Some of her advice pans out, some of it doesn’t. And it is with that that I have a problem. The first time someone follows Lizzie’s advice (which was given to an “anonymous” letter writer) and it doesn’t work out the person that sought the advice in the first place is all over Lizzie like a bad rash. The advice, to stand up to bullies, is solid.

So, the bully had reinforcements and the person was forced to hide in the cafeteria trashcan for an hour. That doesn’t change the fact that the advice is still solid. Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you (like Gordo said, “you win some, you lose some”). The surest method of dealing with an aggressive force bent on conquering you is to meet it with an even greater aggressive force. When the prey puts up too much of a fight the predator backs off. Whether it’s the water buffalo and the lion or you and a bully. Hunt the hunter.

This episode is singular in that not only does it advance *one* long standing plot thread, but it also subtly develops a *second* one as well.

But first things first.

Gordo reveals to Lizzie, by way of an anonymous letter to the advice column, that he thinks of her as more than a friend. This is the most major advancement of this thread from Gordo’s perspective since “First Kiss”. Gordo has known since then that he has feelings for Lizzie, and this episode shows that he’s finally reconciled himself to that. And like in “First Kiss” he’s about to breach the subject to Lizzie but hesitates and backs off. But he has taken the step to some degree, in the veiled letter. Progress. Definite progress.

As for the second plot thread this episode advances, that would be the “Redemption of Kate”. Note Kate’s “anonymous” letter to Lizzie for advice. She admits that she’s popular, and has great fashion sense. But she doesn’t feel happy. This directly proves what the audience has been able to surmise over the course of the series: that Kate isn’t happy with her new popular self. She misses her old life, with her old friends Lizzie, Gordo, and Miranda. Kate is finally admitting to herself that she’s not happy with her life. And more than that, she’s so unhappy that she’s willing to (anonymously) send a letter to *Lizzie* asking her for help. That in and of itself is important. Who does she turn to with an intimate personal problem such as this? Her former best friend Lizzie. Who is it that has always been there for Kate, even after she’s been pushed away? Lizzie. It would seem that Kate finally realizes who her true friend is. The first step to recovery is the admitting that there’s a problem, which Kate does in this episode. The development is subtle (but tangible) to say the least, but possible repercussions are enormous. In the course of a single sentence Kate’s taken possibly her most dramatic step forward yet in the quest of reclaiming her old life. Bravo Kate.

This week’s “Where in the World is Miranda Sanchez” Answer Is: Out Sick.

Miranda is gone from this episode due to being out sick. It’s good that the producers have acknowledged Miranda’s absence from these episodes. While they have a different feel to them, they have been packed with enough guest stars to make one forget that Miranda isn’t there. Miranda’s absence from this episode is much better handled than in “Lizzie’s Eleven”. An explanation of a character’s absence goes a long way towards acceptance of that character’s absence. Miranda’s being gone from this one is handled well, and after the early goings one forgets to “miss” her. So while these “Miranda-Less” episodes haven’t so far been ruined by her not being in them, they do have a different feel. A more “urgent” feel, if you will.

And let’s give it up for Sam McGuire. Note the stunned look on Jo’s face when Sam figures out and answers Lizzie’s question. It’s like she’s shocked at his insightfulness, and a little bit jealous of his taking care of Lizzie’s worries, as though that’s her sole domain. We saw this same sort of “jealous” bit in “Pool Party” when Sam went and talked to a despondent Lizzie. Like Sam said, he’s “good”. ;-)

And let’s not forget Larry. This episode (along with “She Said, He Said, She Said) makes it clear that while Tudgeman sees himself as super cool and a great guy to be friends with, he’s fully aware that others don’t see it that way. And like any feeling human being it hurts him. We all have an instinctive want to be accepted by our peers, and when we’re not it leads to turmoil. Tudgeman *is* a great dude (with the best hobbies), and while maybe only Lizzie can see his true character, others *should*.

As for the subplot, another kid threatens Matt’s supremacy as King Prankster in class. Melina is not very helpful in this one, pronouncing Matt’s reign at an end and urging him to “give it up” while he still has some dignity left. But in typical fashion, Matt is able to come up with a scheme (with Melina’s approval) that bests his rival and propels him “back on top”. We’ve seen this type of “battle of the pranksters” before in other shows, but it is humorous.

But one does have to wonder where Lanny is at in this episode. Since the subplot takes place in Matt’s class at school, one would expect to see Matt’s fellow classmate and best friend, Lanny (or for that matter Oscar or Reggie). I guess they are “out sick” as well? Man, there must be an epidemic going around Matt’s hometown! *LOL*

Not only do we get plenty of guest stars to fill the void that is left by Miranda’s absence, but also we get some we haven’t seen in a while. Namely Claire, and Parker (whom we haven’t seen since the middle of Season One).

But I do have to wonder, am I the only one who noticed that when Matt’s class recited the Pledge of Allegiance that they omitted the part that says “One Nation Under God” by quick panning to Matt, and then back again? Interesting, considering the producers of the show had no problem with mentioning God in “Xtreme Xmas”. More likely than not it was a jab at the recent controversy involving the Pledge of Allegiance and Constitutionality.

One last note. Did anyone else notice that “Animated Lizzie” sounds different in this episode? Or for that matter, that Hilary sounds different than usual? Was she ill during the filming of this episode? She sounds “stuffed up”.

Overall this is a very “crowded” ep, but in a good way. We get some major advancement on the two major plot threads of the series, and we get some added comedic bonuses. The developments on the long-standing plot threads alone make this an episode worth watching.