Lizzie McGuire

First Kiss

Aired Unknown Feb 08, 2002 on Disney Channel

• first kiss

A very pivotal episode of Lizzie Mcguire tonight, it was quite eventful as well. It's valentine's day and everyone is paired up except Lizzie, Miranda, and Gordo. Lizzie then "falls in love" with her paper boy, Ronnie who she becomes obsessed with much to Miranda & Gordo's discomfort.

This was one of the first episodes where Gordo looked at Lizzie in that way. In a way that's more than a friend. Which probably got all the fans cheering, I know it got me cheering. This episode was also one of the first really emotional ones for Lizzie. She gets her heart broken. Sam & Jo showed that they are the best parents here, and I commend their characters.

I think as the viewers matured, so did the series, and that really shows in this episode. A great pivotal intriguing episode of Lizzie Mcguire.
  • A Pivotal Episode.

A major ramification results from this episode. That being Gordo’s realization that he’s begun to think of Lizzie as more than a friend. Note his confused, conflicted emotions in his discussion with Miranda. And later his reaction to Lizzie and Ronny kissing. He’s shocked, and then he’s shocked anew over how he is feeling. Then finally his sincere listing of Lizzie’s attributes and a hesitant almost/not quite breaching of some subject.

It is obvious to Gordo (and the audience) that his feelings have moved beyond his subconscious (as evidenced in “Just Like Lizzie”) to his conscious mind, and now he has to deal with it in some manner. This is a major step in advancing the long-standing Gordo/Lizzie romance thread. And in that, this episode serves to further advance an outstanding story plot.

In addition to that, this episode is a “growing” episode for Lizzie, which heightens its dramatic appeal. Lizzie has her first boyfriend. This is a major development for the character. To ‘love and lose’ is a basic fundamental of life. A ‘rite of passage’ almost. Lizzie has her heart broken, and in so doing the audience has its collective heart broken as well.

Also, this episode provides an excellent chance for Hilary Duff to stretch her acting skills, especially the crying scene in the library. It is not hard to see why this is Hilary Duff’s favorite episode of the series. So much happens to Lizzie’s world in this one. She ‘loves’. She loses. There’s a shift in her relationship with Gordo (on his part). It is a seminal episode.

As far as the main plot goes it is pure gold. The subplot on the other hand…

This is where the episode lets me down personally. Coming from a purely bias perspective, I dislike seeing one of the protagonists ‘gotten over on’ by an antagonist. Matt comes away ‘taken’ by Melina, ‘beaten’ if you will. On a personal level I find that unsatisfying. And what’s worse, it’s not just Matt, but Sam (an innocent bystander) that is made to suffer as well. That just doesn’t sit well with me.

We see Melina for the first time since “The Untitled Stan Jansen Project”. And as in that episode, she is portrayed as an antagonistic foil to Matt. Carly Schroeder, the actress who portrays her, is very good at playing ‘bad’.

Overall, the episode is lopsided. On one hand there is a really excellent main plot. On the other, a subplot that fizzles. But be that as it may, the main plot makes this an episode that must been seen.
  • Awww! I cried my heart out!

Lizzie falls madly in love with her paper boy. She and him are spending so much time together. Unfortunately, Lizzie gets obsessed and talks about him only. Miranda is so worried about her and tries to talk to her, but Lizzie gets angry and hurts her feelings. Poor Miranda! Then, Ronnie soon breaks up with Lizzie, because he likes another girl. Aww, how sad. That broke my heart!

This episode brought tears to my eyes. Well, I did giggle when I saw Lizzie and Ronnie kissing, but when she ended her friendship with Miranda, that's when the tears came. By the time Ronnie broke up with her, I was bawling!
  • An episode which Lizzie McGuire fans have been waiting for.

This has to be one of the best episodes of the series. It had romance, comedy and drama, what more could you ask for in a Lizzie McGuire episode? I think that this is the type of episode that all Lizzie McGuire fans have been waiting for. I also found it very touching towards the end when Gordo almost revealed his secret feelings towards Lizzie. The sub plot was very funny and entertaining as Matt tried to do everything possible for Melina in order to get a rare baseball card, well you can't exaactly say that Matt doesn't work hard ecspecially for when it's something which he wants. This episode is definately worth watching and any Lizzie McGuire fan would totally love this episode.
  • An episode which Lizzie McGuire fans have been waiting.

• Funny and very touching episode. Young Love, It's the best love Hilary said it was her favorite episode to film. You something, I think it's mine too!

This was probably my favorite episode of the series. Hilary played lovestruck and yet she is showed her dramatic side. A side we had never seen before. I think that's how we all are after we lose our first love. While very funny it was also very touching. Some scenes I was in total silence for about 5 minutes after the show ended. It was really good. I never thought of Hilary as a romantic lead but now I know she is. I paticular loved the scene where she talked so fast about Ronny. That has been funny since Adam and Eve. Girls talking fast and you can't understand half of what they're saying, that is just too funny!!! But that's my #1 Lizzie pick of all time HANDS DOWN!!!!
  • This episode reminded me of myself..... this episode had alot of meaning, i enjoyed every scene of it.

Lizzie noticed she had love for valentined day, but she found one, who she had a bit of puppy love with, and out of the blue he broke her heart.....this episode may be able to realte o many kisds during their teen years. i know it did relate to me, i think almost opf girl in this world has had to face at least one bad heart break by a guy that they thought they were perfect with. I have and if you havr not faced that just yet beleive me one day you will it happens all the time.
  • I Heart You!

Valentine's Day is approaching and Lizzie and Miranda notice that the love bug seems to have bitten everyone in school except Gordo and themselves. At home she talks about it to Miranda on the phone when the McGuire's paperboy Ronny Jacobs comes to the door to collect. She accuses him of eavesdropping on her; he accuses her of being rude to him. She follows him outside to argue, but it's obvious that there is a big attraction between the two. The next day she tells Miranda there's a boy she likes. Miranda is shocked to hear that it's Ronny, not Ethan, and immediately tells Gordo. The next morning Lizzie rushes out to get the paper--because there's a note from Ronny inside it. At school Lizzie is in full crush mode, talking endlessly about Ronny to Miranda, then Gordo. Miranda thinks Gordo is jealous of Ronny, but he denies it. Later Lizzie and Ronny are having a good time skating together. He asks if she considers themselves boyfriend and girlfriend. Both of them are afraid to say it, but Ronny finally does and gives her a ring. It's a romantic moment, and they share a kiss. In the background, a stunned Gordo watches.

Lizzie comes home practically walking on air. When Sam and Jo find out about Lizzie's new love, Sam is worried but Jo thinks it's nice--until she sees the ring, then she's concerned too. Miranda tells Lizzie that she's losing her mind over this boy. Lizzie blurts out that Miranda is just jealous because she doesn't have her own boyfriend. Miranda is hurt by this and their friendship seems threatened. But there's trouble with Ronny. The next time he sees Lizzie he tells her there's a girl at his school that he likes too, and he doesn't know if now is the time for he and Lizzie to be boyfriend and girlfriend. He offers to let her keep the ring, but she tearfully give it back. In the library, Lizzie is still upset and crying when Gordo finds her there. She pours out her heart to him and he does his best to console her. Gordo seems right on the verge of saying something else to Lizzie, something big, but he stops short. He and Lizzie leave the library arm-in-arm with Miranda. All are friends again.

Meanwhile, Matt just need one baseball card to complete his collection, be can't find it anywhere. The only person who has one is Malina, the girl who got him into so much trouble in the past. She's willing to give up the card for a price--a BIG price. Matt has to do everything she asks for a couple of days, and even after he's done all this, she still demands "one more thing." At home, Sam McGuire admires the way his son went out and chased down the one missing card he needed, but he's not happy when he finds out the "one thing" that Matt traded for it was Sam's own beloved baseball card collection!
  • the episode all lizzie fans were fianlly waiting for...a guy! and its not Ethan!

When Lizzie finally gets a boyfriend! we see the gang go through alot when lizzie steers away from the group just because she has a boyfriend, miranda realizes that her best friend cares about him more than her and gordo. And another episode where Gordo still can't pluck up the courage to ask Lizzie out, her mum was most understanding when Ronnie Breaks up with her and also her dad understood. Words at a time in a girls life with her first boyfriend just wont work.. these things sort themselves out along with alot of tears :( overall this episode appeals to an issue all girls go through thoughout their life let it be the first boyfriend of many to come.
  • Lizzie experiences the fantasy and the pain of finding and being left by a boyfriend. Mean while, her family and friends cope with the reality of Lizzie being in love. And we explicitly see Gordo's love for Lizzie as more than a friend.

This episode is my favorie among all Lizzie McGuire.

Lizzie believes that the "love bug" has bitten everyone at school except her, Miranda, and good ol' Gordo. What she does not know is that Cupid, and not the love bug, is waiting to cross her heart for the cute, and at the end big time jerk, paperboy.

Miranda and Gordo go nut when they see Lizzie being consumed by her first romantic experience with someone outside their circle of friends.

At home, Jo and Sam do not make anything out of it at first, but then they "burst a blood vessel" when Lizzie says, "Ronnie gave me a... friend ship ring". Sam says no, Jo tries to get hold of the situation by avoiding confrontation.

Matt, as always, is too caught up on his own problems to care about Lizzie's romantic life, looking for a card to complete the Yankee rooster of baseball cards. Melina Bianco finds a way to extorting Matt, she gets her shores done by him, and Matt gets the card (after doing a final dirty deed for Melina).

And we see Miranda's insight into the whole situation by helping Gordo realize that what his feeling about Lizzie and her boyfriend are not confussion or doubt, but jealousy, for he truly loves Lizzie as more than a friend. Lizzie almost got that message too at the end of the episode when Gordo tries to tell her, but quickly changes the subject to Miranda's approaching Lizzie and him.

Overall, this episode is great.