Lizzie McGuire

Magic Train (aka Lizzie and Miranda's Magic Train)

Aired Unknown Feb 14, 2004 on Disney Channel

• “Good Bye, Good Bye, Good Friends Good Bye...”

4.2
    Being that this episode revolves around a ‘kiddy’ show, I feel the above used quote (from “Bear in the Big Blue House”) is more than justified.

This particular episode has resonance for many reasons. To begin with, it debuts mere weeks after the passing of one of the giants in children’s television (the incomparable Captain Kangaroo).

Also, the reluctance of the characters here to be seen liking and watching a ‘kiddy’ show serves as a bit of an allegory of fans of “Lizzie McGuire” itself. As is well documented, the show has a sizeable fan base far outside of the “4-12” year old age range that Disney says is the ‘target’ audience of the series.

And lastly, this is the last episode to unfurl itself since the show wrapped production in June of 2002. June. Of 2002. And *this* episode is just *now* making its way to American shores? Over a year and a half since the show ended its run?

Not only that, but while this may be the last episode shown, as far as production order goes, the *actual* final episode was shown in February of 2003—a year ago!! Scheduling should not be done like this.

What we the audience (as well as Lizzie and her classmates) learn here is a lesson that has been handed down to us by all the greats figures of childhood. A message that has been the same be it delivered from Bozo the Clown, Jim Henson, Shari Lewis, Mr. Rogers, or even the Captain. Never be ashamed of who you are. We are all special, and we should revel in what makes us, well, us. Be it the continued liking of a cherished friend from one’s youth or something other, we should not feel less than others. One can be an adult without losing sight of those people and things that made one the adult they are. There are many a person alive today who would not be the person they are had it not been for the likes of those men and women who were willing to give over a large part of their lives to the betterment of others. We all owe a special debt of gratitude to these stalwart champions of fair play and moderation. Were that they were indeed ‘my neighbor’.

Once more, Gordo is the one who ‘gets it’ first. He likes the show and he’s not afraid to admit it. Or even sing it. Though, in retrospect, perhaps he *should* be afraid of singing it! *LOL* It looks like those Glee Club lessons haven’t helped his pipes any!

There’s just something very endearing about seeing Lizzie and Miranda enjoy themselves watching a children’s show. Though, they being so close to one another, it’s a wonder that each was unaware that the other has continued to watch the show all these years. Heh, not only does Miranda watch it still, she tapes it! *LOL*

Though on the subject of the show itself, who names a male character “Daisy”? “Daisy”? “Barney” I can understand. “Oscar”? No problem. Heck, even “King Friday the 13th” I can dig. But “Daisy”?

As for the subplot, Matt turns the home into a ‘dirt museum’. Which, let’s be honest, does a great disservice to Jo’s housekeeping (which explains why she closes it down so violently).

While this episode may not be as ‘meaty’ as others, and does seem to ‘suffer’ from the sort of kinetic energy that has infused the latter part of Season Two, it is still a surprisingly solid offering (well above expectations) that imparts a very important lesson to those watching. Don’t be afraid of being yourself. A message worth listening to whether you’re thirteen or one hundred and thirteen.

So, this is it, the last dribbling of “Lizzie McGuire”. An odd way to close out the best sitcom to have come down the pike in decades.

This being a Disney program, what better way to send the show off than to paraphrase a good old fashioned Disney song?

Now’s the time to say goodbye
    To all our company
    Through the years we’ll all be friends
    Wherever we may be
    L-I-Z-Z-I-E M-C-G-U-I-R-E
    Lizzie McGuire, Lizzie McGuire
    Forever let us hold our banner high
    L-I-Z – Zounds you’ll be missed!
    Z-I-E- Egads, what will we do without you?
    M-C-G-U-I-R-E!!
  • This episode was so cute, adorable and very entertaining.

I found this episode of Lizzie McGuire so adorable and cute. With those two baby show characters Clover and Daisy, I can see why Lizzie, Miranda and Gordo love them because I would do too. I liked this episode because once again Lizzie and her friends managed to outsmart and the evil, sinister Kate. The sub plot was quite funny how Matt gave tours of his house to show the neighbourhood the dirt in there. It was such a good season finale and it was really well performed and written.
  • Lizzie and her friends go to see a kiddie show. They are afraid that Kate will catch them.

I like this episode, but it is a bad way to end a show. This show could've ended in a very very better way like they leave middle school and they go on off to high school and conqour many new things. They could meet new people and see how their teachers are. Instead it is they go see a kiddie show and they like it but Kate saw them and it was a bad scene. At the very end of the show as well the series, they finally stand up that there is nothing wrong with liking a kid show. Bad way to end a show.
DISNEY