Lizzie McGuire

Obsession

Aired Unknown Jun 29, 2001 on Disney Channel

7.8

A really great episode considering this was one of the first times in Lizzie Mcguire history that we have three plots in one episodes rather than two, there were some flaws in this episode, but overall, the episode was rather enjoyable. The thing that happens a lot on Lizzie Mcguire which I think is a huge flaw is the characters undergoing some huge metamorphosis over night. Like when Lizzie became a "bad girl", or when she started the gymnastics, she became a pro overnight as well. Many other character changes have happened, too many to mention.

Now overnight, Lizzie has become an environmentalist that is a jerk to all her friends. Good to see Parker again after "Picture Day" Good recurring character. The Gordo & Larry was was entertaining, but I think Jo & Sam dealing with Matt & Lizzie were the best thing about this episode.

Great resolution, great episode, looking forward to the next.
  • I believe in what Lizzie is doing for the environment, but.....

Well, Lizzie tries to help the environment by recycling, wearing clothes not made from animals, and becoming a vegetarian. I support what she was doing for the environment. I care a lot about the environment. I recycle, look out for animals, and I am a vegetarian, but I still think Lizzie went too far and ended up losing her friends and hurting a lot of people, including herself. Matt ends up doing the same thing when he becomes a hall monitor. He takes his responsibility way too seriously, and he becomes power hungry.

I think when taking on a responsibility, don't take it too seriously, and don't be bossy about it. You'll end up hurting a lot of people.
  • Lizzie gets obsessed again

6.2
    I do like Lizzie McGuire but this episode is just another tale about one of the characters becoming obsessed about something. It is something different but it's just this happens too many times, the only thing different about this episode from all the others is that not only one person get's obessed, this time it's three people. If I was correct didn't Lizzie get obsessed in "Election" and that was only about seven and eight episodes ago.

Gordo often becomes obsessed as shown in a few episodes.

It is only Matt's obsession that is something different (however he does become obsessed with acting in the episode "The Rise & Fall Of The Kate Empire").

Overall this episode was good but did lack a good storyline.
  • Obsession

The various obsessions of Lizzie, Matt and Gordo are driving friends, family, teachers and themselves to distraction. Gordo is intent on winning the Science Olympics at all costs against defending champion Larry Tudgeman. Matt becomes hall monitor at his school and gets carried away with his own power, giving out citations to schoolmates by the dozen and even trying to do the same to teachers and family members. Meanwhile, after she and Miranda work on a successful volunteer project at school, Lizzie becomes an environmental warrior, a fanatic for collecting clothing and food for the homeless, and even a vegetarian! All three learn that they must put limits on their fanaticism or else their original causes will suffer as a result.
  • Three Stories In One.

5.1
    This episode departs from the formula others have followed. Namely, a main plot and a subplot. Here we get not only a main plot, but TWO subplots. We see Lizzie go into ‘save the world overdrive’, Matt ‘power overdrive’ and Gordo in ‘winning overdrive’. This episode aptly lives up to its title. ‘Obsession’ is definitely the theme visited throughout all the plots. Everyone’s obsessed about something.

This episode also proves a long-standing assertion of mine. That Hilary Duff looks good in ANYTHING!
    Here she makes burlap look chic!

Lizzie learns that if one tries to do too much one accomplishes nothing. At some point in our lives most people ‘get’ the concept of civic involvement and want to do what they can to help. But there is a ‘dark side’ to this as well. One can easily fall into the idea that one must help as much as one can. The problem comes in that certain people always feel that they can help more, do more, than they already are. And since they feel that they CAN do more they do. But the feeling of always being able to do more, and more, and more, will never be sated. What one FEELS one can do and what one actually CAN do are two different things. One can always “feel” that they can do more, even when in reality they can’t. This is the trap Lizzie falls into. The world is just too big, and possesses too many problems, for any one person to “fix”. A point Lizzie’s behavior gets across to the audience.

As far as “Subplot A” goes, Gordo is locked in an intellectual showdown with Tudgeman in the annual science Olympics. He’s obsessed with winning, a foreshadowing of his obsessive nature that shows up again in “Gordo and the Dwarves”. As a consequence of this ‘battle of wills’, Tudgeman is cast once more in his occasional role of antagonist. Not just that, but this particular episode portrays him in his most unflattering light of the entire series.

Caught smack dab in the middle of all this craziness is Miranda. It’s interesting to see Miranda function essentially on her own. Lizzie’s new obsession has caused a rift between the two of them. And Gordo’s obsession leaves him unable to dispense advice and comfort. Miranda is left to her own devices, and when left to such is apologetic and unsure. Notice the way she almost pleads with Lizzie to talk to her. Normally it’s Lizzie who makes the rapprochement first—this is unfamiliar territory for Miranda. We saw this in “Pool Party” as well when Lizzie didn’t initiate the rapprochement. Miranda had to do so, and was apologetic and unsure. Her being in this situation does not happen often.

“Subplot B” revolves around Matt’s obsession with power. Yet another common malaise. Power corrupts. Matt allows his Hall Monitor powers to go to his head.

All in all this is a ‘filler’ episode, AKA: a normal episode. And that’s okay. We have a theme that dominates all aspects of the episode (obsession) and we get a rare ‘twofer’ in regards to subplots. An okay episode.