Lizzie McGuire

Those Freaky McGuires

Aired Unknown Jun 28, 2002 on Disney Channel

• those freaky mcguires

Although this episode was very entertaining, I didn't like how it lost it sense of realism, one of the best things about this show is that it's something you can relate too, and all of that was lost in this episode. Matt & Lizzie switch bodies, probably one of the most ridiculous plots on this show, but it worked in a way.

I laughed ever single time Matt as Lizzie fell in the hallway, and the thing I mostly enjoyed about this episode was Kate's humiliation. You think after this episode, Kate could just stop being mean to people, but nope, I guess she just wont learn her lesson just yet. Not even a bucket of chili will change her.

I liked how the siblings dealt with the situations they were put in to. Like Lizzie as Matt trying to prove Matt's innocence. Or Matt as Lizzie just standing up for himself and having an original thought which definitely helped Lizzie in the popularity department.

A weird episode, that I'm a bit ambivalent about. Maybe if the writers made it clear that this was a dream sequence, but the fact that this might have actually happened just turns me off completely. Not the best, not the worst. Memorable, I'll give it that.
  • Every Series Has A Clunker.

0.9
    Amongst the course of every television series there is always that one episode that ‘outshines’ the rest in its low quality. That one episode that was a bad idea to being with. That one episode that shouldn’t have been written. That one episode that shouldn’t have been filmed. That one episode that should never have aired. This is that episode.

The very concept (that Lizzie and Matt switch bodies) violates the underlying reality of the series. In fact, the sole redeeming feature of this episode is the indication that it is nothing more than one long dream sequence.

Not only does the very premise of the episode intrude upon the show’s reality, but it’s also down right creepy! A brother switching into a sister’s body, and vice versa? The ‘ewww’ factor is off the chart! Just talking about it makes me squirmy! To quote Miranda from “Gordo’s Bar Mitzvah”, “Ewww. Let’s not go there!”

I suppose the theory behind this episode is to show that each has problems and the other knows how to solve them. But nothing can justify such an ‘icky’ plot. It’s bad enough that a boy is suddenly thrust into a girl’s body (likewise a girl into a boy’s), but to have it be his own sibling? Who’s the target audience here? The Deep South?!?

Shunting one’s mind from the horror that is this episode, there is one bright spot to come out of it all. And that is the display of acting skills of the thespians involved.

Jake does a passable impression of the Lizzie character whereas Hilary does a masterful job portraying the Matt character. Once again something is proven to us that we already knew: that Hilary Duff is a fantastic actress! As I have said before, she has that ‘It’ quality that will take her far in this business.

And as far a subplot goes, there isn’t one!

In a nutshell, there are favorite episodes, least favorite episodes, and then there is *this*. The one episode of the series to date that I can honestly say I dislike. Like the plague, this episode should be avoided at all costs.

To quote “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”, “Run away! Run away!”
  • Lizzie and Matt just can't seem to be able to see eye-to-eye. So they'll have to walk a day in each other's shoes... literally!

I've always liked the whole"Freaky Friday"-esque scenario, so this was a pretty neat episode, one worth watching.
    It is quite interesting to see Lizzie and Matt go through each other's trials.
    My only real complaint, is the ending. Simply put: did it all really happen? Or was it all a dream...?
  • In this episode after Lizzie and Matt have an argument and yell the words "stay out of my life" Matt and Lizzie find themselves in eachothers bodies!Too scared to tell their parents they live eacthothers lives and find out how hard their lives r

I thought this episode which lacks originality is actually quite good I enjoyed the episode and every time Its on I always watch it(yes I know how sad) I thought Jake Thomas (Matt) was brilliant pretending to be a girl but sadly thought that Hillary Duff (Lizzie) was a bit too over the top for me but she still pulled it off to make a truly great episode.
  • Lizzie and Matt switch personalities after they shout ‘STAY OUT OF MY LIFE’ both at the same time. They have to go to school as each other. But as Matt in Lizzie’s school and vice versa might work out to be better.

Lizzie is trying to find something to wear to school that day but finds that all her clothes have some sort of stain on them. She can only blame one person Matt. She accuses him for switching her laundry clothes with her closet clothes. They talk and talk until they start fighting but then they shout at the same time ‘Fine I’ll stay out of your life.’ Then somehow they switch personalities. Now Matt is Lizzie and Lizzie is Matt.
    They both pretend to be sick so they don’t have to go to school as each other But Lizzie tells her parents that Matt dared her to pretend to be sick. They ended up having to go to school as each other anyway.
    At school Lizzie strikes up a conversation with Ethan Craft and Larry Tudgeman about bruises, scabs and scars.
    When Lizzie went to her first class she was about to sit down when Kate pulls away Lizzie’s chair so she falls onto the floor again Lizzie quotes ‘I seem to be spending a long time on the ground.’ But to retaliate Lizzie fills Kate’s locker with frogs and when Kate opened her locker she ran away and then slipped on a banana peel and fell onto her stomach and while she was sliding she opened the door of the cafeteria but as she slid in a bucket of chilies and chili sauce smothered her. When Lizzie was having lunch, Kate came out and yelled at Lizzie about the chili incident. Lizzie had another mischievous scheme. She let Kate sit in her place but she snuck a loaf of bread with vegemite on top where she was sitting. When Kate sat down it made a horrible squishing noise. Meanwhile at Matt’s school he gets detention for three weeks because the principal thinks that Matt put bubbles in the water fountain but after loads and loads of detective work they find out the culprit is Clark Benson whose pudding Matt always spits in.
  • Lizzie chooses an outfit but finds it dirty. There is only one culprit, Matt. They start yelling at each other and they yell simultaneously,” STAY OUT OF MY LIFE" They then switch bodies so Matt is Lizzie and vice versa. Watch how they cope at school

Lizzie chooses an outfit but finds it is dirty. There is only one culprit, Matt. They start yelling at each other and they yell simultaneously,” stay out of my life" They then switch bodies so Matt is Lizzie and vice versa. They both pretend to be sick so they don't have to go to school with their different personalities. Sam and Jo find out the truth though and send them to school anyway. I am going to call Lizzie, Matt and vice versa. Anyway Matt dressed in what looked like geek fashion. Lizzie dresses as a nerd. They go to school and it is disaster for Matt. He keeps on slipping in Lizzie's high heels. It is hilarious. Matt then goes to her first class and Queen of Mean pulls the table back so Matt falls on his back. Matt then puts frogs in Kate's locker and puts banana peels in the hallway and puts a bucket of chilli in a doorway. Kate opens her locker and frogs come out, she runs down the hallway and trips on the bananas and skids all the way to hit a bucket of chilli and it fell. ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Matt was invited to eat with Ethan Craft although he did not care much about it. Kate then comes up and she told Ethan Lizzie tipped lots of chilli on her. Ethan said Lizzie could not have done that stuff. Matt then says I am personally insulted. Kate sits down on Matt's chair and something squished on her. She stood up and a vegemite sandwich was stuck on her.

Anyway Lizzie had three weeks of detention at school but Melina and Lanny help her find the culprit, CLARK BENSON!!! Lizzie promises him that Matt would never sneeze in his pudding again. Clark then goes to tell the principal what he had done. Matt was cleared!!!

At home Lizzie and Matt are worried about changing back. At the stroke of midnight Lizzie wakes up as herself. Lizzie goes and wakes Matt up. He sees that he has changed back. They laugh happily and hug each other?!?! Aw well anyway Sam and Jo wake up and see them hugging. They think they are dreaming!!! hahalol
  • As usual they're always fighting so after lizzie and matt vow to stay out of each others life they mysteriously switch bodies...

This episode was one of my favorite llizzie mcguire episodes i remember being all excited after they swaped bodies they had complete control of each other and of course matt went out of control in lizzie's body but he didnt let kate boss her i guess him around and at least he did something back and lizzie turned matt into a good kid and they were so happy when they switched back but this was a little weird because its not everyday in a lizzie mcguire world she switches bodies with annoying matt!
  • Freaky Friday it's not, but it's better than some of the episodes..

7.8
    Truly, it was not honestly one of the best episodes of this series, but in my opinion it was certainly not the worst. I can actually think of 3 episodes I would rank worse than this, just off the top of my head.

Basically this episode was take-off on the Disney film "Freaky Friday" except this time it involves a brother and sister, instead of a mother and daughter. It seems odd that they would make a boy and girl switch body's with one another and not make them really care about changing genders beyond hairstyles and clothes. I guess this is explainable by the fact that this is a show aimed for about 8-14 year olds and not the 25 year old woman that I am. Still, I think the show did portray effectively how the characters had to interact as one another.

I think that Hillary Duff did a perfect job in portraying Matt's characteristics. One could actually believe that should could have actually switched body's with Jake Thomas. I was so thrilled when Matt (as Lizzie) finally gave Kate was she so had coming to her. When "Lizzie" finally told Kate off about Ethan, it was the highlight of the episode.

Jake Thomas did so-so in his portrayal of Lizzie. He seemed a little bit frozen in his portrayal of her, in my opinion. He actually made Lizzie seem more like a loser when "Lizzie" felt the need to make Matt dress the way he ended up. Even she does not dress that way, so I did not buy it when she decided to slick down Matt's hair and make him look like a walking nerd. Although, it did seem like Lizzie to get to the bottom of the fountain incident.

My one quibble with the entire episode was the fact that I still do not know if it was supposed to be a dream or not. I mean Matt acts as if he does not remember it, and when "Matt" falls out of his bed, Lizzie wakes up. This makes me think it was a dream. The only way to have known was if Lizzie went to school the next day and Kate and everyone else talked about the chili incident.

All in all, it certainly was not the best episode of Lizzie McGuire, but it was not the worst either.

Final Grade: C+
  • Those Freaky McGuires To me was one of the funnest episodes to be shown on Lizzie McGuire.

To me was one of the funnest episodes to be shown on Lizzie McGuire.

This i think was the funnyest because it shows how girly Jake Thomas can be and he is such a funny guy lol. It also shows how weird the cloths can get that they make Hilary wear when she's Lizzie McGuire.

To see Jake Thomas with out his hair spiked up like it always was in the other episodes of LM was a surprise as i thought "that looks nothing like Jake", but now that is how Jake hows his hair.

The real score for this episode would just have to be 10+ as none of the other episodes was as funny as this one lol.

• Blah

0.7
    As usual, Lizzie and her brother Matt are involved in a big fight. "Fine! I'll stay out of your life!" they both scream at each other simultaneously. Then, to their amazement, something totally unbelieveable and mysterious happens--their personalities switch bodies, Matt becoming Lizzie and Lizzie becoming Matt! The siblings are horrified by the change, but they are unable to explain it to their parents, so they have no choice but to go to school like everything was normal. Well, not exactly. Matt (as Lizzie) dresses up like Elton John on his worst day and goes around school tripping over his (her) shoes, making better friends with Ethan Craft by talking about guy stuff like scabs and bruises. Gordo and Miranda are mystified by the changes in the girl they think is their old friend Lizzie, especailly after she pulls a revenge prank on Kate. Meanwhile Lizzie (as Matt) slicks her (his) hair down and dresses like a nerd, hoping to stay quiet and attract as little attention as possible. But that doesn't happen, as Melina tells him (her) that he's in trouble for a prank some other student pulled. Lizzie (Matt) tells her and Lanny about the strange occurance that took place, and surprisingly, they believe him (or is it her?) So they seek out the real culprit, Clark Benson, and clear Matt's name. Miranda and Gordo are also surprised--they think the new Lizzie is showing more self-confidence than ever before.

The brother and sister finally arrive home and compare notes on what has happened during the day, finding out that they both helped solve problems for each other. But they are no closer to getting back into their own bodies than they were when the left home in the morning. That night, Matt (Lizzie) tosses around uncomfortably in his bed and falls on the floor. In her room, Lizzie awakens suddenly, and yes, she's Lizzie once again! She rushes into the hall where she meets up with Matt and tells him she's back to normal, but they are interrupted briefly by their parents. After Mr. and Mrs. McGuire go back to bed, Lizzie asks Matt if the whole weird ordeal really happened. Matt asks back warily--did what happen? The whole issue is left up in the air.
DISNEY