Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Barbarians at the Planet (1)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 01, 1994 on ABC

• Lex Luthor proposes marriage to Lois, but Lois can't decide because of what it will mean to her friends and carrer. So Lex makes the decision for her by taking both out of the equahion, though his ruthless tactics.

We see all these characters at their best. We witness how far Lex's evil extends and affects those around him. Sort of like how termites would eat up trees little by little until they fall down. He goes step by step ruining the good guys lives just to get what he wants. From buying off the Daily Planet and giving everyone including Perry White crummy new jobs. Down to the most dramatic measures which is destroying the Daily Planet building. You can't help but feel a sense of pathos for these characters seeing their lives getting destroyed but mainly for Lois and Clark as everything that has happened is begining to alienate Lois from not just her friends but Clark. They start to suffer a rift in the relationship, from the new job she's taking down to one moment of truth when we hear Clark admit he loves her. But of course she is unable to think of him beyond friendship. And of course in the final moments we see more of how far his villiany goes when during the proposal to Lois we see clips as to what happened in between certain events, we know it's obvious that Lex is wrong for her since right now he's lying to the one he loves and know Lois's life could be destroyed by saying yes. But as cruel as fate is sometimes she says yes and we can't help but feel the hurt Superman feels, a broken heart can be more devestating and painful than Kriptonite.