Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Lord of the Flys (1)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 1996 on ABC

• Great concepts, average execution.

Like most of the later episodes of this series, the first episode of Season 4 is mostly a mixed bag. Clark must return from New Krypton to battle the evil Lord Nor, who has taken the entire town of Smallville hostage. I didn't particularly care for the New Krypton storyline from this season, and this episode is exactly why. It's very confounding, just as something cool happens something that's a little bit cheesy or over-the-top takes it all away. As a viewer I find that disappointing. That being said, I really liked seeing the Black Suit - although I personally would have liked it in silver, as it is in the comics. I liked the idea of Nor - and his followers - coming to earth. Heck, the villain himself didn't even bother me. But I don't understand why they didn't just name him General Zod and call it a day. Most of all, the score falls into pure melodramatic territory, and actually takes away from the episode in a few cases (especially the end). I really wanted to like this episode, but it's simply just too uneven for me to really get behind.
  • OK

7.4
    It's good to have Lois and Clark back in action, but this is not one of my favorite arcs on this show. I liked the long awaited reunion on the steps of Lois's apartment and the concubine conversation between the two, but I can't say as the rest of the episode is really noteworthy for me.
    The Kents get taken hostage AGAIN. Jeez, they get taken prisoner more than Lois anymore.
    Wonder why they changed Ching from Jon Tenney to the new guy. An Ok episode but nothing worth getting excited over. Def. better than the Lois has amnesia storyline from last year.