Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

ABC (ended 1997)

gabfan31

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Fan Reviews page 3 of 4

• This started out strong, but at the end it ate itself alive from the inside

This show was like only 50% faithful to the comics but in terms of character development this is the most faithful adaption ever! With the appearance of LOIS & CLARK, they were sort of giving us a girl's version of the Super saga,much like the comic book LOIS LANE.But this telling was a program designed to get the female audience, without alienating the guys. It mixed humor with action! Unfortuently it soon nose-dived to bad-movie terrotory. After the wedding of lois and clark there was no point of watching it. It soon became clear that the scripts were not as good as before. This show was great until H.G. Welles showed up. Then it went downhill from there. I am sure that is why this show got cancelled.
  • A great show about Superman and his real life as Clark Kent.

If this is a show that you did not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you. Teri Hatch and Dean Cain are terriffic.
  • The Man of Steel modernised.

My memory isn't great on this, so forgive a little error here or there!
    The great thing about the show was that it put Superman back on screen but with a more modern setting.
    That it focused on Lois and Clark was something that I think a lot of comic fans were upset about but I think it was fine. There was still plenty of action.
    One of the best things was that their relationship was sometimes central to the plot and the solving of situations. Often Superman and Lois would have to work together or exchange saving each other.
    Also, that Lois was in a love triangle with two aliases of the same person was a very interesting dynamic!
    Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher were both great, as was the rest of the cast.
  • So many supermen...

And no one to stay forever. I really liked this series, but how come did they need so many actors since then? The movie is now coming, and we dont meet Dean Cain or tom Welling. That is a pity coz I can only get more confused.
    People need to identify to their heroes. There have been 5 James Bond's, not 20!! please, people in productions, behave!
  • An Excellent Show packed With Action, Comedy and Romance!!!!!!!

This Was The Television Show That Got Me Hooked on SUPERMAN.
    The Creator (Deborah Joy LeVine) Should Be Very Proud.
    The Cast Were Excellent!!!! They All Fitted Into Their Roles. Especially Dean Cain Who Played Superman / Clark Kent, Teri Hatcher Who Played Lois Lane and John Shea Who Played Lex Luthor.
  • Should have been placed BEFORE a speeding locomotive!!!

4.5
    Sorry but maybe it was that he had a squeaky high voice... Or the terrible terrible costume... Or maybe it was just that this was the first Superman the same age as me.... But I could not take to this show. It was also the show that made it difficult for me to say I liked Superman. Prior to this Superman was uncool. Especially with girls. It suited my nerdy disposition to be a fan. But girls all raved about Dean Cain! Oh he was a heart-throb... Pictures of him abounded... And talk about the show everywhere... A nerd can't take part in that? Ruined the charactor for me. And I'm sorry but 9 years on I hope all those sycophantic teen magazines finally admit that his version of the Superman costume was the worst ever!!! Well Brandon Routh's might give it a run for it money...
  • The best Lois, The best Clark, The best Perry, The best Jimmy, The best Kents, The best Luthor.

I was only six when the show started. My idol at the time was Peter Pan, but i didnt know much about Superman. However, it soon became my favourite show. If i missed an episode i cried. The show taught me about morals, about love, about good parenting, and gave me a passion for journalism (which i still have today).

Having gorwn up on this show, i am somewhat biased in saying it is the best interpretation of the superman mythos. But i plan to make a case for it.

On Clark:

The Clark Kent of LnC is post-crisis so superman is his disguise (and not the other way around). I much prefer it this way, as it shows Clark as a struggling human hero, instead of a unbelievable and unflawer alien one. After all he has grown up on a farm in kansas and been raised by two of the most wondeful humans on the planet. They taught him love, respect and humility, but also that he couldnt be totally honest, because humans on mass are not as accepting as they are, and they would want to use him for their own gain.

On Lois:

Lois is determined, confident, disrespectful, arrogant, and idignant. She is also sentimental, perseptive, caring, and hates injustice. She hunts down stories, and risks her life, because she is so intensly passionate about her work. It is never hard to see why Clark loves her so much. However, she is blind when it comes to him, not seeing past his disguise so well that she falls in love with one persona and not the other

On Perry:

The greatest elvis fan, a beaming and demanding voice, and a father figure to both Jimmy and Lois, this incarnation of Perry is delightful. Like he says 'he didn't become editor of the daily planet because he could yodel'.

On Jimmy:

Jimmy's struggle to gain a small amount of power in his life is endearing. He has low self esteem but Clark and Lois help him build on that by allowing him to help. He does tend to get himself in trouble on his search for his big chance at a story, but his intentions are always good, and he is loyal to his friends.

On Cat and Jack:

Both of them didnt last longer than season one. Both of them were great. Cat for comedy value, and Jack because his veiwpoint was so different (he is from a different class to any of them) and also because in my opinion, he figured out Clark's secret in the episode that preceeded the 'Luthor's demise' arc. But then thats open to interpretation.

One the first episode:

After probing to Perry he should be given a chance, Clark becomes a journalist at the daily planet, and from first site, falls in love with Lois Lane, who at first embodies the opposite of Clark. She has no respect, no humility and is spectical about men and love. Seeing through her confidence, he instantly becomes protective of her, perhaps sensing she is alot less capable than she pretends.

Compelled to do more with his gifts than saving the odd person here and there, and also needing a disguise as the people of the big city are not so easily fended off, Clark and his mother come up with a costume (the superman outfit), just in time for clark to save Lois and a Rocket full of innocent people from being blown to bits by a bomb Luthor has planted. Lois here falls in lust with this 'stranger' because of his good looks, his mystery, and the idea of a hero.

Later, Superman appears at the Luthor mansion (btw Luthor is in lust with Lois adding a further dimension to the triangle) to tell Lex that he is on to him. This is the beginning of the greatest feud of all time.

One the story as a whole:

Clark and Lois become fast friends. In the second season, as Lois begins to understand her crush on superman is superficial, she and Clark begin to explore a romantic relationship. When this relationship progresses to Clark's proposal, Lois announces she knows he is superman, throwing a big wheel in the works. After going back and forth and making us scream they do finally get married. After finding out they can't have children, the show ends on the surprising note of Lois and Clark discovering a baby in their house.

Lex:

This Lex is human. He has feelings, which makes him even scarier because he is unpredictable and a psychopath. He loves Lois as much as Clark does. There is a great scene in the clone arc, where Clark and Lex finish each others sentences as they talk about how they feel towards Lois. When they realise this they look at each other for a long moment before Lex announces 'Just this once, you can trust me'. The fact that Clark almost accepts this, even though Lex betrays him within mnuites of saying this, is a key indicator of how dangerous and manipulative Lex is.

He loves power more than anything. Lex prizes the fact his building is the highest in metropolis. When superman appears, he is higher than lex, so he is the only thing lex has left to conquer. At the end of the first season, he brings Superman down to his basement (the lowest) and as he locks him in a kryptonite cage says 'i wonder, will the pain of loosing the challenge you represent be worse than the pain of constantly loosing to you?'

Their dynamic is very strong. They HATE each other, more than any other lex and superman have.

Style:

Some people consider LnC a romantic comedy. It certainly has elements of this. There are gags and intentionally funny episodes. There are thrid wheels in 'Mason' and 'Dan scardino' that bring in humourous jelousy. However, it cant be given one genre. It also has sci-fi elements (aliens, futuristic technology etc). The combination of the two is very effective.

-------

what i have said doesnt really express how much i love the show. yeah its cheesy sometimes, and the graphics are old, and some of the storylines kinda stank, but it is most definately an amazing story.

Lois: Is it true what Tempus said

Herb: Yes, in the future you are reveared as highly as any women in history

Lois: oh, no i mean about being galactically stupid

Herb: No no miss lane. Not stupid, Blind. You see that is what makes your story so timeless, why parents never tire of hearing it. Time after time we are all blinded by love.
  • i loved this show. it made superman my all time favorite superhero. i had the biggest crush on him and i loved lois and clark's relationship.

i loved this show. it made superman my all time favorite superhero. i had the biggest crush on him and i loved lois and clark's relationship. it always kept you at the edge of your seat even though u knew they would end up together. they were my favorite tv couple.
  • Better then Smallville, a true tribute to Superman.

Before Smallville started to rewrite Superman history, Lois And Clark: The New Adventures of Superman paid an almost perfect tribute to the true story. Dean made a perfect Superman and still is the best to fill the roll to date. This show is proof that all good shows end to early.
  • Clark becomes a reporter & meets Lois Lane. Thats when the adventure begins.

I didn't really want to watch this series when it first aired because I thought it would be silly & some episodes were, but as a whole this was a great show. It got to the point that I never missed an episode. Of course what Dean Cain did for a pair of tights had a lot to do with it as well LOL I loved Lois & Clark & I was very upset when they took it off the air. But I forgave them a little bit when it came on DVD.
  • Started out strong, but lost its way

6.1
    A lifelong fan of Superman -- in all his incarnations -- I remember how excited I was when this show premiered on ABC back when I was in high school. And for the first season or two, that excitement was well justified. But around season three, the show took a nose-dive. While the stories had always had something of a soap opera element to them, that began to take over the show, while the superhero elements got farther and farther into camp and foolishness. Teri Hatcher was strong, but while Dean Cain was a perfect Clark Kent, he never made a convincing Superman. When the show eventually went off the air, it was well past its prime.
  • it needs to return

This show rocked.This show and the superman movies with christopher reeve were the best portrayles of the superman figure.Dean cain was a hottie and did a marvelous job portraying superman and Teri hatcher was just the perfect person to play lois lane.When you watch this show you just get hooked on it.
  • Bring it Back!

It was a great show, I used to watch it every day when I was 9-10. I loved it. I picked up watching it again 4-5 years later and i loved it.
    you had to love Dean Cain who played a pretty solid Superman in my opinion. And Teri Hatcher got her calling card here.
  • As a kid, I thought it was just awesome. After watching smallville for the past four seasons, compared to it this series blows.

6.1
    When I first caught reruns on it on TV when I was 10, I thought it was the best show ever made. I was always a fan of comics, like batman and spiderman. I thought a TV series would be great. To me back then, basically anything on TV amused me so I loved this show. However now that I watch the eps, I find it to be boring and unrealistic. They had Lex die off at the end of season one cause the guy playing him got tired of commuting between LA and NY. Well thats too bad, but Lex Luthor is the one we love to hate, he's what keeps Superman on his toes and makes it interesting. Thus though the love story between Clark and Lois was interesting to watch, it just lacked good story telling and was more like a kiddie show, where every week a new villain would make its appearnce and Superman would have to stop him. Thats no fun thus unless they had brought back Lex Luthor, the show was going to be a bust anyways.
  • This shows was the best series about Superman, up until today's Smallville (Which I think spreads the story so thin, it seems like a watered down version of Lois & Clark's:The New Adventures of Superman).

I loved this show when I was young, and I still love Superman at my age now. I'm 18, and I personally think that since this show stopped airing in the US, Smallville has been the best series that has anything to do with Superman. Smallville is my new favorite show, but it still doesn't replace the classic Man in blue tights and a red cape saving Lois and the world from danger. This show is missed by many and will probably make its comeback to the airways in no time, with all these superhero series, cartoons, and movies that have being brought back into the public's eye. I would love to see it back and welcome it with open arms!
  • Love it!

This show is one of the best superman shows ever. Hang smallville. This show is what you want to see. Go Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain are the best. No superman has ever been as good looking. I just wish they\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d send it more frequently in Sweden :(( Too bad.
  • This show would probably take place after the show 'Smallville' as it shows the life of Clark Kent after he leaves the Kent farm and heads to Metropolis during his young adult years. This was such a great show and shocked it hasn't made its return to TV.

This show was the first of its kind, as it took a broad look at Clark Kent's life after his departure from the Kent farm and into the real world of Metropolis as a young adult. I think even after Smallville is complete, years down the line this type of show could be done again, especially since it's been a while since the 'Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman.' Has been aired.

We see a younger Lois in this show as well, as it propelled Teri Hatcher’s acting career, besides the few episodes she played as 'Penny Parker' in the hit TV show 'MacGyver.'

I really enjoyed watching this show in the mid early 1990s.

I believe this was the first show to take both Clark and Lois in holy matrimony. Both married and even had a child, which kept us hanging due to the show being cancelled. Now, could you imagine if Lois and Clark from Smallville got married and had a child. HA HA!
  • This show was a blast ! Just how many times can LOIS get away with calling CLARK "FARMBOY" and "FLYBOY" ! (laughs)

The humor between LOIS and CLARK was great ! Just how many people in METROPOLIS can get away with calling SUPERMAN (aka CLARK) "FARMBOY" and "FLYBOY".

Lets bring this show back, we could use a laugh or two on tv again !

Also, if this show came back, would love to see "flashbacks" of CLARK or LOIS growing up.
  • Lois and Clark followed the romantic relationship between its title characters. Clark comes right off the farm from Smallville, and starts working with hardnosed and bitchy Lois. What follows is 4 years of bad guys, fighting, love, marriage, and ofcourse

Lois and Clark was on for an amazing 4 years. It has been forgotten since it was cancelled. Lois and Clark capitalized on the romantic aspect of the Superman/Lois relationship. For the first time Lois wasn't the damsel in distress that needed saving, she was an equal partner in many aspects. While Teri Hatcher's Lois did get herself into trouble almost every episode, she also was usually the one who solve the mystert first. The chemistry between Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain was great. The show follows the progression of Lois and Clark's relatioship, until finally they are married. After that point,
    the show did get a little odd though. True fans learn to love the crazy plotlines though. My personal favorite is when they travel back in time and assume the Robin Hood roles. Lady Loiset? How great is that?
  • Dean Cain as superman = WOW!

Puting Dean Cain as superman and a young Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane = A hit show!

I love Lois and Clark, and after watching every episode ten times or so, I still can't get enough.
    Everyone that can see past the superman cape and into the lives of Lois and Clark will love this show as much as I do.
  • My favourite show of all time!

Lois and Clark The New Adventures of Superman is my favourite show all time. The DVD is out and I've got it! Now again I'm watchig the first season all over again and the magic is still there. Dean Cain was a good Clark Kent/Superman bring a really human side to the world's greatest superero and I loved the portrayal of Lois Lane as a careerwoman who is at the top of her profession. I loved it when they brought in the romance and finally married them because it was certainly a long time coming.
  • Why don't they make shows like this one anymore? It was extremely funny, full of adventure and romance. Lois & Clark is definitely my personal favorite, probably because it just uses the right way to get to you...

Lois and Clark was one of those shows that I liked even before I saw any of the episodes. I mean, it's about Superman, the ultimate icon of the good in the world.
    And then when I actually saw the Pilot episode, I became addicted immediatelly. I just coudn't wait to see some new futile attempts of Lex Luthor to bring down Superman or how the Lois & Clark relationship will go.
    The first season was nearly perfect, mostly developing the relationships between main characters and pointing out some basic topics like Clark's Identity, Rivalry with Lex Luthor, Kryptonite effects and the chemistry between Lois and Clark.
    Then in second and third season the series reached its peak with Lois finally figuring out Clark's identity and Lex Luthor being alive again.
    The show lost its pace a little then in 4th season with all those new Kryponians trying to conquer the Earth, but there was always H.G. Wells to save the day and the series was just getting better when they suddenly decided to cancel the filming of the 5th season, even though they promised Superman will return...but he didn't...until Smallville aired, but it's not the same since there's no Red and Blue and Yellow dress with a big S.
    Even the special effects were satisfactory for the low budget of the series.
    Actually I can say Lois & Clark is the only series in which I coudn't find an error, except it being cancelled before its proper ending!

Season One

Overall Rating: 8.7
    Story: 8
    Graphics: 8
    Originality: 7
  • this second super hero show to actually be good (fist batman). good acting good twist good charcters good plot only thing that was bad is if you compared it to the comic.

this was the second super hero show I ever watched. the fist is the legendary batman. This show is the first original plot super hero show in decades. It is no wonder they got more than one season out of this show. This show is the reason dean cain was even on ripleys.
  • A favorite, defiantly one of the best, if not the best superman show!... mind you there aren't that many?!

A TV Classic, for me Dean Cain is my favorite superman. This show is a witty feel good 45 minutes. Every episode (except the double bills) ends on a high note which in my opinion is very rare for television these days (and getting rarer).

The main story behind this show is a will they won't they can they should they relationship between Lois Lane (Hatcher) and Clark Kent (Cain).

Finally some time around season 3 they do, which in my opinion this is where things get worse. The show starts to loose its foundation in the seemingly real and jumps into the very unreal. Things stopped being about Lois and Clark and more about the strange situations that they could be put in, e.g. Alien Invasion, Clark going to new krypton, A bad guy with kryptonite round every corner, A magic baby appearing for them both.

It felt like the story writers ran out of good stories and just explored the more strange, each time trying to beet themselves with a stranger story line/series theme/sub plot.

That said I still give this show 10 stars and wish they hadn't stopped it. Now if only Smallville was half as good as this!
  • I Grew up With This Superman

I grew up with this Superman series and had watched this before I even knew the Superman Movies exsisted.
    I think this programme was how do you say... 'Nineties' funny in that it is cheesey but its the sort of cheese you LOVE. The characters that you don't see in the movies or see alittle from are all well formed and there seems to be real chemistry between the actors, but that could just be there acting skills at work.
    To me growing up with this Superman means that Dean Caine will always be the Real Superman, But even if you've never seen the series I think that apart from the technical things that dont match the franchise, it fits in very well with the other Series and movies.
  • My favorite DC`s character always has been Superman. When I saw this show, I was really exciting.

I saw every episodes at least twice, it`s great, I loved this show.

I loved Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, they was perfect for Clark and Lois, the looked so good together.

I loved the humor, the jokes, the romance, the adventures, the action, the relationships, all!!

I still miss this show, even when I see Smallville, i think is not the same, I like more Lois & Clark than Smallville. I like more Dean Cain as Superman than Tom Welling....
    And Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane is my favorite character in this show.
  • Original, and yet new.

Not every episode was perfect of course, but what show can accomplish that. For the most part the L&C writers didn't seem to take their material too seriously, which was good, since Superman is supposed to be a comic book character. And yet they took the underlying issues just seriously enough that it didn't look like they were in another world.

Now, if only they hadn't tried to be edgy, and stuck with being corny and heartwarming, maybe they would have been on for at least one more season. A crying shame, there doesn't seem to be any place on Television for a good ole show where the hero wins, gets the girl, and isn't...constantly...riddled with angst.
  • a story of an adult clark kent and his life in metropolis and how he handles his life as a reporter and how he deals with being superman

I really enjoyed the show, I thought it was a lot of fun and didn't like that it was cancelled with a cliffhanger being the end, because it just leaves u wondering what would've happened if the show would of gone on it should be on again with a continuation of the last episode.
  • This show is a whole new twist from the original Superman Comics. Yet this show was one of the most popular and remains so til this day. It has great plots and has fairly good graphics for the early 90's.

Over all this is one of my Favorite shows from the whole line up of Superhero shows we have seen including cartoons. Something about how Teri and Dean work together to create this play off each other really helps the show maintian and keep your attention through out the whole episode, not just at the begin and end.

This show was also really good about sticking to superman facts in comics and other tv series. their puns and little hits were some of the greats and well hidden lines that only some comic and superman fans would pick up on.

And then there was Lane Smith. (pause for a moment of Silence........) he was the best person they could have gotten to play Perry White. In FAct i don't think there has been a better on since!!!! And as for Jimmy well i liked the first Jimmy personal, the second one tried to act like Jimmy to much and gave a bad performance but he wasn't that bad and i was able to make due after a few episodes.

Superman Costume was Great!!! It looked how i think superman's costume should have looked back in the 70's in the movies

~~~In Memory of Lane Smith~~~
    "Great Shades of Elvis"
  • Superman makes the jump to live action TV. The results: super...Ok that was cheesy, but the show was good. It was a solid and entertaining transition of a superhero to the tv, yet still had much room to improve, unfortunately it never got the chance.

Superman makes the jump to live action TV. The results: super...Ok that was cheesy, but the show was very good. Dean Cain played an awesome Superman. He had both the look to pull of nerd and man of all men hero. Plus, his acting wasn't too shabby either. The characters surrounding him such as Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher) were all high caliber as well. What does this mean? It means that a show that even with some cheesy special effects now and then, still had a solid acting core to fall back on and pull it through into the category of good entertainment. The show was by no means perfect, but it was entertaining and perhaps the best live action superhero TV show ever. Yup, including Flash, the Incredible Hulk, and old Batman.

My final review: A solid and entertaining transition of a superhero to the tv, yet still had room to improve. Worth watching to bring back memories of the 90's or for those who are comic book fans in general.
1 2 3 4