Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

ABC (ended 1997)

gabfan31

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Fan Reviews (91)

• Introducing Dean Cain!

This show is why I love Dean Cain, and Terry Hatcher for that matter. I love how the show focused more on Clark then Superman. Because Clark was the person, Superman was just the persona. I liked that they really went with that.

Plus, I loved the relationship and banter with Clark in Lois in this one more then the others.
  • Great Show

This is one of my favorite shows. I love how the game of cat and mouse was played with Lois and Clark's relationship. A great site to find more LnC pictures, wallpapers, and etc.. is http://folc4evernaday.com
  • This show was SUPER man!

This show is in my top 5 favourite shows of all time!

I remember when it first aired in 1993 (I was only 11 years old at the time) - and this is the show that had one of the biggest influences on my childhood.

This is the kind of show that the whole family could get into - the writers knew what they were doing, it had a terrific cast [Teri Hatcher / Dean Cain / Lane Smith & Justin Whalin], and almost every episode was superb! However, this show did break the Superman tradition - when Lois finally realised who Clark Kent really was (Superman), and married him.

I was disappointed when they cancelled the show, I had never missed an episode in its entire original run. Oh well, 4 seasons was nothing to sneeze at.

It is great that they have now released the complete series to DVD.
  • This show is the best show i've ever seen!

Lois and Clark The new adventures of superman is the best show i've ever seen, it should of had more seasons. I am compleatly hooked on it and i've seen every episode loads of times. This is the best superman show i've seen it focuses on Lois, Clark and Superman relationship mostly and also you get to know Jimmy, Perry and the Kents. This show has everything; action, comedy and romance. The parts were all played well Teri hatcher played the perfect Lois Lane and Dean Cain played a great Clark Kent/ Superman and he is so fit!!! They updated Clark a bit and now he is not so dorky and is very nice which i think is better then before. This show is the greatest and i recomed everyone watches it i wish i was still doing more seasons!
  • Story of the legendary Superman Clark Kent and his soulmate Lois Lane and how they battle obstacles together and fall in love.

Great show.I started watching it when i was a kid and i fell in love with it immediately. My favorite superhero of all time had always been SUPERMAN. I was obsessed with the cartoons. This show got deep into the passion between Lois and Clark. In the movie they had passion but these just goes deep deep into their passion. Teri Hatcher is just so great as Lois Lane she's just so funny and crazy. Dean Cain also plays a great Clark Kent/Superman. The stories are great. The acting great. The action great. The crew did a great job with all the special effects. The supporting actors like Lane Smith and others also did a great job. Really, really great show.
  • wowzers

to my beliefs of a male of the human ind i thin that this show is a great show to all of our home made sociotys. this show has broguth us laughter from its comedy and fun and excitment from its action and adventure concepts. i am proud to be reviewing this show. anyone who likes smallvile and always wonders what happens beetweens lois and clark and havent seen this is up for a big hhuge treat. following its hit movies and comicsin the mid 1950s and 1960s this show rockets off to leave fans puzzled no more about superman.
  • This is a show reguarding an indepth look at Clark Kent taking the focus away from Superman by letting you get to know the man behind the tights. Dean Cain is an excellent modernized versoin of Clark Kent. Teri Hatcher nailed the character of Lois Lane.

This has been one of the best Superman adaptations ever in my opinion. They updated Clark Kent a bit to make him more appealing and less dorky but they kept the most important parts of him-his ultimate goodness and values. By focusing on Clark rather than Superman it opened the possibility to get more into the other characters as well. You really got to know and love Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, along with the Kents. The characters are more heartwarming on this show than any other Superman story I've seen. I own all fours seasons and I still enjoy it.
  • Cool Thing!

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was a phenomenal television success. A much more lavish version of the popular Superman television series which had first aired forty years earlier, Lois & Clark focused more on the Man of Steel's early adult years in Metropolis. With the unknowing help of Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher), Clark Kent (Dean Cain) created Superman there in Metropolis after finding work at the world-famous Daily Planet newspaper, where he meets fellow reporter Lois Lane. After Superman's debut, Lois becomes infatuated with Superman and continues to reject Clark's romantic overtures due to past bad experiences with men. The rest of the first season Daily Planet staff includes Perry White, the chief editor, society columnist Catherine Grant (Tracy Scoggins), and cub reporter/photographer Jimmy Olsen (Michael Landes/Justin Whalin). Other major characters in the series include archvillain Lex Luthor (John Shea) and Superman's adoptive parents, Martha (K Callan) and Jonathan Kent (Eddie Jones). In a salute to the original Superman series, Phyllis Coates guest starred as Lois's mother, Ellen Lane in the last episode of the season. Coates had, of course, been the original Lois in the first Superman series. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman began to play up the romantic aspects of the series as the season progressed. By the end of the second season Lois had finally realised that Clark Kent and Superman were the same person so it came as no surprise to her when he finally revealed his true identity and proposed marriage. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman went where few shows care to go - it allowed the relationship between the two title characters to grow and develop naturally, as it might in real life. The real ratings problems began in the third season, when the network insisted on a fake wedding. Nicknamed the "ARRGGGHH" by the fans, the non-wedding arc included a clone, a kidnapping, and even amnesia. It would have been bearable if the famous couple had ended up together, but the network, afraid of the Remington Steel curse, refused to allow it, which set up some interesting season rewrites, because the original intent was to allow the marriage to occur. Lois & Clark ended in 1997 with a cliffhanger, canceled by a network that did its best to bury the successful series in order to bring back The Wonderful World Of Disney. By the end of the last season, Lois and Clark had come a long way from the prickly, anything for a story, but marshmallow-hearted woman and the naive farm boy from Kansas. The Ice Queen had softened, the farm boy had grown up. Both had fallen in love, married, and were discussing children. The last episode was unsatisfying due to its lack of a conclusion, but the series is still popular today. Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman left a lasting mark on the face of a mythos where Clark Kent was real, Superman was the disguise, and Lois Lane was essential to his make-up. It left wonderful recurring villains, such as Tempus, and a timeless love story that makes one believe in true love.
  • loved it

it was great, i absolutely loved it why did they cancel it why ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    I loved it when louis finally found out clarke was superman ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    Classic show ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! The only annoying thing was that they rushed their wedding and stuff which had been what the whole show had been building up to for years ! ! all because the damn tv people wanted it to finish !! bah humbug
    Oh and the other annoying thing was when the writers didn't know how to get louis and clarke out of a sticky situation they would just invent some riduclus scientific thing that made no sense what so ever, but i dont care obout that it was still good!!!
  • Live action version of the comic book and cartoon series of superman that focuses more on supermans alter ego clark kent and his girl friend and future wife louise lane.

The best and most gripping television programe i have watched for a long time the story lines are great i have to say my favourite episode is The House of Luthor because luthor finaly gets what he deserves and is the secong closest time that superman gets to dying after home is where the hurt is where he gets the vires but the episode wasnt as good as the house of luthor. I would love a new series with new actors playing lois and clark brad and angelina maybe.
  • a wonderful show.

i really loved all about "lois & clark": the fact that the main characters actually really are lois and clark and that "superman" plays a supporting role, the deep humanity in this show and in the character of clark kent, how clark struggles with the burden and the responsability of having super powers, interfering with his own life and his relationship with lois all the time, his pain because lois wouldn't love him in the beginning but his alter ego superman, his never killing or even seriously hurting anybody not even in rage (one of the reasons i couldn't care less about "smallville" is the brutal way clark kent sometimes uses his powers), the chemistry between dean cain and teri hatcher, the enormous charisma they both provide, the sometimes very eccentric humour, ... . there are three words to say when it comes to "lois & clark - the new adventures of superman": bring it back!
  • This show is about a person names Clark Kent who has these amazing powers and in order for him to use them for good he needs a secret identity. Clark saves the day when someone needs help and still has time to complete his job and spend time with Lois!

I personally love all superman series, especially this one. Everyone is just so funny and they play such an important roll in this show. Lois and Clark getting together is just what everyone wants to see. It just is so magical when they are together. When Lois and Clark get married they don't keep anything from eachother. In fact they are so open and they always resolve their problems no matter what. I would give this show five stars anyday. I love the way this show was done and there is no other better way that I can say this.
  • A Superman show done right.

I have seen many versions of the Superman comic book series on the visual medium, this is one of the best that is up there with the first two Superman movies. The series was inspired by the John Bryne Superman comics in the 80-90's, the great thing about those comics were it actually made Superman and the gang into more three dimentional human characters. And that is the true stength of this show. Making all the characters three dimentional and more human.

Everything about the show was done right. From the special effects that are up to par. To the casting, all of the people that play their roles actually look (or a little) like their counterparts. Dean Cain really looks a lot like the comic book character and played the duo identity Clark as a regular guy not as some needy illconfidant goof ball (which I always found unbelievable). Perry White by Lane Smith was peged right gruff and a big Elvis fan. Jimmy by Justin Whalin and Michael Landes were both young, smart, and on a neverending quest for coolness and girls, a little shaky on self-confidence sometimes but not short of courage. And Teri Hacher who also looks like her comic book counterpart as Lois whom is feminine, beautiful, competative, confidant, and always determined to get the next story. Even the villians were good from John Shea as Lex Luthor was charasmatic, meneceing and as venumous as a Cobra. And many others most of them guest villians.

The show wasn't afraid to have fun when it came to comidy which it did well to help give it personality. From some wild plots to the dialog itself. It was also a beautiful romance story that actually developed, timed just right, had real emotion and never got boring. What was rare about the relationship going on in this show is that it actually felt realistic because it actually went somewhere. This is a good thing because I always felt the trouble with most relationships in shows like "Dawson's Creek" or "Party of Five" always fall victum to this repetative pattern where the relationship is not just at a stand still but gets broken for no good reason by having someone else step in and either character cheats on the other and has a lame excuse for their actions.

Although may'be the only real flaw with the show was by fourth and final season the show lost a little altitude, some say it was because of both characters getting married but that's not completely true. It was merely a classic case of length of time, the Lois and Clark story ran it's course and it was about time it grounded. And in the end it ended alright if not with a bang.

Sure Smallville may'be better but if you want a break from it's all too seriousness then watch this show because this interpretaion of the mythology knows when to have a little more fun, and is superpowered with both a warm heart and brain.
  • I think this is the only series I have ever watched over and over again. It has the \"Will they, or won\'t they\" romance scenario as well as being just incredibly romantic with great dialogue. ~ a 32 year old fan married 10 years to her best frie

I think this is the only series I have ever watched over and over again and would want to have on a desert island. It has the \"Will they, or won\'t they\" romance scenario as well as being just incredibly romantic with great dialogue. They are totally believable as a couple and as best friends and are always true to each other. TV shows these days just do not have \"real\" relationships anymore - its very hard to root for your favorite character when they go around sleeping with other guys (like Lorelai this season on Gilmore Girls -that was just heartwrenching). I watch a lot of Tv on DVD, and though I like Farscape and Beauty and the Beast (with Catherine and Vincent), I have to admit that Lois and Clark is currently my favorite tv show of all time. And my heart longs for more characters with real romance and integrity on TV primetime.
    ~ a 32 year old fan married 10 years to her best friend
  • More about Clark and not about Superman

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was one of my favorite TV shows. I would label this show as a Romantic Comedy between Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Its not about superman its about Clark. We see that Clark created the character Superman and not the other way around. The show is not about the action, its about the chemistry and storylines between Lois and Clark as friends and partners and even lovers. I as a fan was waiting for that day to come where Lois finally found out that Clark was Superman. Finally, I have to say, To this date Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain has to be one of the hottest and sexiest Lois and Clark ever played on TV or Movies. I remember the big posters of those two together in character promoting the show. HOT! & SEXY!
  • Clark Kent moves to Metropolis and gets a job at the Daily Planet. He meets Lois Lane, they fall in love and eventually get married. All in just 4 seasons!

When I first watched the first season, I got addicted. I didn't know why, the special effects were ok but the storylines were good. People think that Teri Hatcher is the "Hot" Lois, I disagree. This is the worst Lois, she's too wimpy. Anyway, even with the whole frog-eating clone story arc, I think this show is great! I liked the wedding/clone/amnesia arc, it was interesting. I think getting married was a good thing. I hate how they normally drag out the romance of Lois & Clark. The chemistry with this couple is great! If the chemistry doesn't work, the show doesn't. The music is cool, the special effects improve, and the stories are great! AWESOME SHOW!
  • Updated version of Superman for the 90's. How could it go wrong?

This is by far one of the better Superman series ever. It was fresh for the 90's, and had a GREAT cast.
    Towards the end though it did get a bit weird, but I still love it.
    Dean Cain had the image and attitufe of Superman/Clark Kent perfectly. The ideas for the episodes were original and very interesting.
    Another great aspect was the focus on Clark and Lois's relationship and less on Superman which made for the show's popularity and not so cheesy all of the time (like other Superman series).
    All in all, this was a great show, and the seasons are deffinately worth picking up on DVD.
  • A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.

A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.A great show and a great addition to the superman saga.
  • i love this show. please bring it back. if you dont i will tell everyone to stop watching tnt. i know i am only one person but i hope you listen to me. i will get a petition if i have too. so please just bring it back. please, please!!!

hey i really love this show, and i love smallville too. i just love superman. he is the best super hero. batman and those other heroes have nothing with him. i know that if you bring it back it will just be re-runs but i dont care just bring it back. it would even be better if you could continue the show. i know teri and dean are still alive and well. everyone who use to be in the show may not be there, but that is ok. once you have teri acting as lois and dean acting as clark, the show will be a hit. just make sure that when you are airing the show that it doesnt clash with smallville. you can bring it back at 6:00pm like you use to every night. please listen to me. i just want to see the show from beginning to end. please please please. i know i am just a small 15 year old girl living in a small caribbean island known as Trinidad(and Tobago). but just please take me in to consideration. thanks for taking the time to listen to me. bye. God Bless.
  • Love, love, love this show!

I started watching DVD Season 2 on January 17th and I haven\'t stopped since. (I had taped most of the series off cable in 2001 so I have most of the episodes). I watch it every day. It\'s like a drug.

Dean Cain is absolutely the hottest guy around. His interpretation of Clark Kent is the best by far. Definitely a guy for the 90's. I love the way Clark is the real person and Superman the disguise.

The chemistry between Dean and Teri is explosive and I can\'t see anyone else playing the roles as well. What I really love about the series is that the romance of Lois and Clark is really front and center. It's like rereading a great romance novel over and over.

I wish it could have gone on for at least another season, to help tie up all the loose ends (the baby, does Alt-Reality Clark finally find his Lois Lane, do Perry and Alice get back together, do Lois and Clark finally have a child of their own). Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to love what I have and let my imaginination fill in the blanks.
  • An Excellent Show packed With Action, Comedy and Romance!!!!!!!

This Was The Television Show That Got Me Hooked on SUPERMAN.
    The Creator (Deborah Joy LeVine) Should Be Very Proud.
    The Cast Were Excellent!!!! They All Fitted Into Their Roles. Especially Dean Cain Who Played Superman / Clark Kent, Teri Hatcher Who Played Lois Lane and John Shea Who Played Lex Luthor.
  • The best Lois, The best Clark, The best Perry, The best Jimmy, The best Kents, The best Luthor.

I was only six when the show started. My idol at the time was Peter Pan, but i didnt know much about Superman. However, it soon became my favourite show. If i missed an episode i cried. The show taught me about morals, about love, about good parenting, and gave me a passion for journalism (which i still have today).

Having gorwn up on this show, i am somewhat biased in saying it is the best interpretation of the superman mythos. But i plan to make a case for it.

On Clark:

The Clark Kent of LnC is post-crisis so superman is his disguise (and not the other way around). I much prefer it this way, as it shows Clark as a struggling human hero, instead of a unbelievable and unflawer alien one. After all he has grown up on a farm in kansas and been raised by two of the most wondeful humans on the planet. They taught him love, respect and humility, but also that he couldnt be totally honest, because humans on mass are not as accepting as they are, and they would want to use him for their own gain.

On Lois:

Lois is determined, confident, disrespectful, arrogant, and idignant. She is also sentimental, perseptive, caring, and hates injustice. She hunts down stories, and risks her life, because she is so intensly passionate about her work. It is never hard to see why Clark loves her so much. However, she is blind when it comes to him, not seeing past his disguise so well that she falls in love with one persona and not the other

On Perry:

The greatest elvis fan, a beaming and demanding voice, and a father figure to both Jimmy and Lois, this incarnation of Perry is delightful. Like he says 'he didn't become editor of the daily planet because he could yodel'.

On Jimmy:

Jimmy's struggle to gain a small amount of power in his life is endearing. He has low self esteem but Clark and Lois help him build on that by allowing him to help. He does tend to get himself in trouble on his search for his big chance at a story, but his intentions are always good, and he is loyal to his friends.

On Cat and Jack:

Both of them didnt last longer than season one. Both of them were great. Cat for comedy value, and Jack because his veiwpoint was so different (he is from a different class to any of them) and also because in my opinion, he figured out Clark's secret in the episode that preceeded the 'Luthor's demise' arc. But then thats open to interpretation.

One the first episode:

After probing to Perry he should be given a chance, Clark becomes a journalist at the daily planet, and from first site, falls in love with Lois Lane, who at first embodies the opposite of Clark. She has no respect, no humility and is spectical about men and love. Seeing through her confidence, he instantly becomes protective of her, perhaps sensing she is alot less capable than she pretends.

Compelled to do more with his gifts than saving the odd person here and there, and also needing a disguise as the people of the big city are not so easily fended off, Clark and his mother come up with a costume (the superman outfit), just in time for clark to save Lois and a Rocket full of innocent people from being blown to bits by a bomb Luthor has planted. Lois here falls in lust with this 'stranger' because of his good looks, his mystery, and the idea of a hero.

Later, Superman appears at the Luthor mansion (btw Luthor is in lust with Lois adding a further dimension to the triangle) to tell Lex that he is on to him. This is the beginning of the greatest feud of all time.

One the story as a whole:

Clark and Lois become fast friends. In the second season, as Lois begins to understand her crush on superman is superficial, she and Clark begin to explore a romantic relationship. When this relationship progresses to Clark's proposal, Lois announces she knows he is superman, throwing a big wheel in the works. After going back and forth and making us scream they do finally get married. After finding out they can't have children, the show ends on the surprising note of Lois and Clark discovering a baby in their house.

Lex:

This Lex is human. He has feelings, which makes him even scarier because he is unpredictable and a psychopath. He loves Lois as much as Clark does. There is a great scene in the clone arc, where Clark and Lex finish each others sentences as they talk about how they feel towards Lois. When they realise this they look at each other for a long moment before Lex announces 'Just this once, you can trust me'. The fact that Clark almost accepts this, even though Lex betrays him within mnuites of saying this, is a key indicator of how dangerous and manipulative Lex is.

He loves power more than anything. Lex prizes the fact his building is the highest in metropolis. When superman appears, he is higher than lex, so he is the only thing lex has left to conquer. At the end of the first season, he brings Superman down to his basement (the lowest) and as he locks him in a kryptonite cage says 'i wonder, will the pain of loosing the challenge you represent be worse than the pain of constantly loosing to you?'

Their dynamic is very strong. They HATE each other, more than any other lex and superman have.

Style:

Some people consider LnC a romantic comedy. It certainly has elements of this. There are gags and intentionally funny episodes. There are thrid wheels in 'Mason' and 'Dan scardino' that bring in humourous jelousy. However, it cant be given one genre. It also has sci-fi elements (aliens, futuristic technology etc). The combination of the two is very effective.

-------

what i have said doesnt really express how much i love the show. yeah its cheesy sometimes, and the graphics are old, and some of the storylines kinda stank, but it is most definately an amazing story.

Lois: Is it true what Tempus said

Herb: Yes, in the future you are reveared as highly as any women in history

Lois: oh, no i mean about being galactically stupid

Herb: No no miss lane. Not stupid, Blind. You see that is what makes your story so timeless, why parents never tire of hearing it. Time after time we are all blinded by love.
  • Better then Smallville, a true tribute to Superman.

Before Smallville started to rewrite Superman history, Lois And Clark: The New Adventures of Superman paid an almost perfect tribute to the true story. Dean made a perfect Superman and still is the best to fill the roll to date. This show is proof that all good shows end to early.
  • Clark becomes a reporter & meets Lois Lane. Thats when the adventure begins.

I didn't really want to watch this series when it first aired because I thought it would be silly & some episodes were, but as a whole this was a great show. It got to the point that I never missed an episode. Of course what Dean Cain did for a pair of tights had a lot to do with it as well LOL I loved Lois & Clark & I was very upset when they took it off the air. But I forgave them a little bit when it came on DVD.
  • Love it!

This show is one of the best superman shows ever. Hang smallville. This show is what you want to see. Go Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain are the best. No superman has ever been as good looking. I just wish they\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d send it more frequently in Sweden :(( Too bad.
  • This show was a blast ! Just how many times can LOIS get away with calling CLARK "FARMBOY" and "FLYBOY" ! (laughs)

The humor between LOIS and CLARK was great ! Just how many people in METROPOLIS can get away with calling SUPERMAN (aka CLARK) "FARMBOY" and "FLYBOY".

Lets bring this show back, we could use a laugh or two on tv again !

Also, if this show came back, would love to see "flashbacks" of CLARK or LOIS growing up.
  • Dean Cain as superman = WOW!

Puting Dean Cain as superman and a young Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane = A hit show!

I love Lois and Clark, and after watching every episode ten times or so, I still can't get enough.
    Everyone that can see past the superman cape and into the lives of Lois and Clark will love this show as much as I do.
  • My favourite show of all time!

Lois and Clark The New Adventures of Superman is my favourite show all time. The DVD is out and I've got it! Now again I'm watchig the first season all over again and the magic is still there. Dean Cain was a good Clark Kent/Superman bring a really human side to the world's greatest superero and I loved the portrayal of Lois Lane as a careerwoman who is at the top of her profession. I loved it when they brought in the romance and finally married them because it was certainly a long time coming.
  • A favorite, defiantly one of the best, if not the best superman show!... mind you there aren't that many?!

A TV Classic, for me Dean Cain is my favorite superman. This show is a witty feel good 45 minutes. Every episode (except the double bills) ends on a high note which in my opinion is very rare for television these days (and getting rarer).

The main story behind this show is a will they won't they can they should they relationship between Lois Lane (Hatcher) and Clark Kent (Cain).

Finally some time around season 3 they do, which in my opinion this is where things get worse. The show starts to loose its foundation in the seemingly real and jumps into the very unreal. Things stopped being about Lois and Clark and more about the strange situations that they could be put in, e.g. Alien Invasion, Clark going to new krypton, A bad guy with kryptonite round every corner, A magic baby appearing for them both.

It felt like the story writers ran out of good stories and just explored the more strange, each time trying to beet themselves with a stranger story line/series theme/sub plot.

That said I still give this show 10 stars and wish they hadn't stopped it. Now if only Smallville was half as good as this!
  • Original, and yet new.

Not every episode was perfect of course, but what show can accomplish that. For the most part the L&C writers didn't seem to take their material too seriously, which was good, since Superman is supposed to be a comic book character. And yet they took the underlying issues just seriously enough that it didn't look like they were in another world.

Now, if only they hadn't tried to be edgy, and stuck with being corny and heartwarming, maybe they would have been on for at least one more season. A crying shame, there doesn't seem to be any place on Television for a good ole show where the hero wins, gets the girl, and isn't...constantly...riddled with angst.
< 1 2 3 4