Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

ABC (ended 1997)

gabfan31

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Fan Reviews (92)

• Yet another live action chapter in the Superman legacy which threatened to further destroy the charm of the character.

With the backing of a major TV network, ABC, in a primetime slot and film in the late-90's with access to potential cutting edge visual effects, this incarnation of Superman was a complete waste of resources.

It was a series that staggered on for 4 years and ended with an unresolved cliffhanger.

Each episode was more pathetic than the next, with juvenille tounge-in-cheek one-liners and horrible C-list guest stars... typically comedians... as the most uninventive villans ever.

The only element of this series that kept it alive was the romance between Lois and Clark.

As for Superman himself... the fact that a man from another planet arrived on Earth with magically powers was the only beleiveable concept in the show.

The character was reduced to a lazy idiot who did nothing more than push the villan over onto the ground at the end of each episode and fold his arms across his chest with a "stern glare".

Literally every single episode grew more and more frustrating as Superman refused to ever use the most basic of his powers in the most dire circumstanes.

And if the weekly villan ran away... Superman refused to ever use his super-hearing, speed or vision to follow or track.

But if Lois Lane ever wanted food from China or chocolates from Sweden, Clark would regularly appear with these items in mere seconds.

The usual story lines left you literally screaming at the TV... "Why are you standing there, Superman, do something!!!"

My only hope was that the writers and producers of this series were left out of work at the end of it's run, for their effortless and untalented approach to the storylines and plot points.

This series was only watchable because the majority love Superman in general and because the actors playing Lois and Clark were insanely hot.

So hot, in fact, you couldn't believe they waited 3 years to bang each other. Another point that made the series freakishly childish.

Now if only they could make another live action Superman-based series that never... EVER will actually show Superman in it... endlessly frustrating viewers all over again...

... and so lives on Smallville.
  • this has to be the worst show on superman ever!!!!

the guy doesnt even look like superman. and the woman looks like lois if lois were on crack. i cant believe this show was on for so long. i think desperate housewives made this show a success, and thats probably why they chose terry hatcher to be on desperate housewives so that she could bring her lonely fan base with her. i really thank the wb or cw whoever, for bringing us smallville. i just hope that this big mistake doesnt happen again. unfortunatly it will, i mean we did have charmed and 7th heaven run for a long time and those two shows had no buissness being on any channel let alone one of the biggest and most popular networks around.
  • The show revolves around superman and his relationship with miss lane as the truth about clark is revealed to her.All the while they save the world and try to make thier love work

5.5
    Mostly i find this show as being simply underrated and underapperciated.This show helped ferment a path for more recent shows like smalliville to follow and im printed the man of stell onto us all.I must admit however that for a man of steel dean caine really ever looked as super as he should.He looked sexy in the suit and frial,he was a much beeter clark which he played to perfection with all the quirks and peroanllity flaws.The villains were also at times unbeileveable or so thinly written it was ever so dfficult to grasp their motivation and reason for their crimes
  • BOOOOOOOOOOO

crappy hated it even cause i didnt watch a full episdoe but i still hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated hated
  • Should have been placed BEFORE a speeding locomotive!!!

4.5
    Sorry but maybe it was that he had a squeaky high voice... Or the terrible terrible costume... Or maybe it was just that this was the first Superman the same age as me.... But I could not take to this show. It was also the show that made it difficult for me to say I liked Superman. Prior to this Superman was uncool. Especially with girls. It suited my nerdy disposition to be a fan. But girls all raved about Dean Cain! Oh he was a heart-throb... Pictures of him abounded... And talk about the show everywhere... A nerd can't take part in that? Ruined the charactor for me. And I'm sorry but 9 years on I hope all those sycophantic teen magazines finally admit that his version of the Superman costume was the worst ever!!! Well Brandon Routh's might give it a run for it money...
  • Well, that's 3 hours I'm never getting back...

5.5
    I just checked out the first DVD of this series to see what I thought. After a pilot that was mediocre at best, I debated whether to give another episode a chance, and finally decided I really should. So I've now watched three episodes (if you count the pilot as 2). That's three hours of my life that I'm never getting back.

I don't know... maybe I'm just spoiled by shows like BtVS, Angel, Alias, and of course Smallville. But I kind of like fantasy shows where the other characters (besides the hero) are at least moderately intelligent.

I've watched three hours of the series, and so far, Clark has been saved from discovery on about 5,000 occasions solely due to the fact that every other character on the show is a complete idiot.

The pilot can best be described as "cheesy." That's actually the one and only adjective that comes to mind.

In the second episode, we have a bad guy who can generously be described as far, far too stupid to be a federal agent. Seriously - how many clues can he be given that Clark is Superman before it will at least occur to him?

The second episode, btw, also features a court order that was apparently obtained from nowhere without the approval of the bad guy's superior, a group of federal agents firing guns in an airplane (which anyone can tell you is a Very Bad Idea) and then assuming that the squashed bullet they found (which had hit Clark) had missed (again, utterly idiotic, since if they had indeed missed Clark, they'd all be dead because the airplane casing would have been punctured).

Lois, supposedly a terrific investigative reporter, shows a remarkable lack of any grasp of the obvious on many, many occasions during just these three hours.

At this point, I'm going to assume that these three episodes are typical, and stop watching. There are other, better, things to do with my time.
  • Started out strong, but lost its way

6.1
    A lifelong fan of Superman -- in all his incarnations -- I remember how excited I was when this show premiered on ABC back when I was in high school. And for the first season or two, that excitement was well justified. But around season three, the show took a nose-dive. While the stories had always had something of a soap opera element to them, that began to take over the show, while the superhero elements got farther and farther into camp and foolishness. Teri Hatcher was strong, but while Dean Cain was a perfect Clark Kent, he never made a convincing Superman. When the show eventually went off the air, it was well past its prime.
  • This shows was the best series about Superman, up until today's Smallville (Which I think spreads the story so thin, it seems like a watered down version of Lois & Clark's:The New Adventures of Superman).

I loved this show when I was young, and I still love Superman at my age now. I'm 18, and I personally think that since this show stopped airing in the US, Smallville has been the best series that has anything to do with Superman. Smallville is my new favorite show, but it still doesn't replace the classic Man in blue tights and a red cape saving Lois and the world from danger. This show is missed by many and will probably make its comeback to the airways in no time, with all these superhero series, cartoons, and movies that have being brought back into the public's eye. I would love to see it back and welcome it with open arms!
  • Superman Rocks

Dean Cain & Teri Hatcher are a great team in Lois & Clark. From Season one to the end i always enjoyed the show. It was more drama than super hero. Still had a cool super hero side. I thought the cast in this show was a good one. I always liked Dean Cain as Clark Kent/Superman. The plots tended to always be good. At times i would of liked to see him more as Superman. Liked i said more drama but still was a good show. Near the end i enjoyed more than most but got bad ratings. I wish would of not ended the way it had did. Still in the end a decent Superman show.
  • Superman rocks

• If you are a Superman fan, you would like it!

I highly recommend this boxset, for the sharpness of the dialogue between the principle actors, the introduction of Tempus and the season cliffhanger alone. Throw in Luthor, red kryptonite and a very romantic dance to 'fly me to the moon' and despite any of its downfalls, you have a great second season.
  • Especially the sight of Dean Cain in tights.

This take on the man of steel had an emphasis on comedy drama with a romantic twist. The show also had a harmless camp tone, reminiscent of the 1960s tv show Batman, which could be enjoyed by viewers of all ages. Dean Cain & Teri Hatcher were both ideally cast as Clark & Lois and their presence made the show a very watchable one.
  • Very Interesting Take on the Man in Red, White & Blue

7.3
    This show was a treat for me growing up. It featured a small town feel to it before Smallville came around. And it featured a much better looking Teri Hatcher than the version we have today (sry DH fans, all 10 of you). Dean Cain filled in well as the man from Krypton. Not to schmaltzee or over the top. If Season one was the appetiser, then season two is the main course. This is the season that really nails Lois and Clarks relationship, as the audience witness the love triangle of Lois/Clark/Superman continue as Clark and Lois begin dating different people whilst secretly yearning for each other. The will they, won't they relationship is firmly at its best during this season as Lois remains oblivious to Clarks other life, and Clark fresh from the rejection at the end of season one, has no idea where to go from here. As far as character development of the two leads goes, this certainly is the best season, it never shines so brightly as it does here, but it does suffer from missing some of the supporting cast established during season one. The lack of Cat, as Lois's office rival is a shame, but the biggest downfall of the season is that Lex Luthor (John Shea) is sadly missed, only popping by for a brief appearance. His absence lays way for Metroplois to be overrun with second rate villains, who Lois and Clark must stop, week in week out. Even the appearance of Comic book villain Metallo is just a poor excuse to wedge a character familiar to fans into the show. Thank god for the introduction of Tempus then, who proves that a new character just as threatening as Luthor could be created, in arguably the best episode of the season and possibly one of the best of all 4 years. Tempus offers a villain who has a personal interest in seeing Lois and Clark fail, and this is the beginning of a number of his appearances.
  • great series

I really like watching these series. Thats why I also started to watch smallville. I think that Lois and Clark where really meant for eachother. This show really had his good points and his bad points. Some of this episodes maked me cry but there were some episodes i though why why make this one.

I hope there will come a new serie that involvs superman in it or a show that is like the same because this is a serie i love to watch and I still will watch it ont the tv. But for now I go for Prisonbreak
  • A different take on the Superman story with a stronger focus on Lois & Clark rather than Superman. Better series now that I'm older.

Having never read a single Superman comic and barely seeing any of the 4 Superman movies, this was my Superman, my primary venture into the Superman universe. I was also only 9 when this series began so some of the series was over my head.

Even though I was young at the time I first saw some of this series, it stuck with me. While on the original airings, I started to like the show less and less once the Lois & Clark relationship really took off because I was more interested in Superman and wasn't watching it for the love story. Once in college, though, I gathered all the episodes and rewatch the whole series, beginning to end, this time appreciating this relationship focus more.

While the series was a bit chessy at times, it was still a good show. This wasn't a typical superhero vs supervillain show. Most of the "bad guys" were ordinary humans. While I would have liked to see a little more of the supervillians, I still liked the fact that it was different from other superhero shows. Even Lex Luthor wasn't a major villian all the time, mostly in season 1 only, but with some major plots later that revolved around him even though he wasn't technically involved.

Sadly, the show ended before it finished the plot line started at the end of season 4. While this was a little bit of a disappointment, it wasn't a completely open end. It gave enough closure not to anger all fans but still left things unanswered. Give it a chance if you enjoy Superman.
  • Superman makes the jump to live action TV. The results: super...Ok that was cheesy, but the show was good. It was a solid and entertaining transition of a superhero to the tv, yet still had much room to improve, unfortunately it never got the chance.

Superman makes the jump to live action TV. The results: super...Ok that was cheesy, but the show was very good. Dean Cain played an awesome Superman. He had both the look to pull of nerd and man of all men hero. Plus, his acting wasn't too shabby either. The characters surrounding him such as Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher) were all high caliber as well. What does this mean? It means that a show that even with some cheesy special effects now and then, still had a solid acting core to fall back on and pull it through into the category of good entertainment. The show was by no means perfect, but it was entertaining and perhaps the best live action superhero TV show ever. Yup, including Flash, the Incredible Hulk, and old Batman.

My final review: A solid and entertaining transition of a superhero to the tv, yet still had room to improve. Worth watching to bring back memories of the 90's or for those who are comic book fans in general.
  • You gotta love it!

The New Adventures of Superman is one of those shows I love because of it's pure cheese element. I think the chemistry between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher was brilliant and made the show what it was.

Despite the dreadful special effects, which I guess weren't too bad for the time you can't help but get involved in the storylines.

I preferred the second Jimmy to the first one, and felt he was not only a better actor but also blended better with the other cast, his relationship with Perry was perfect.

I felt the show gotta better as it progressed through the series but then I do love Lois and Clark as a couple so I guess I'm biased.

A show you just don't wanna miss! Get them all on DVD!
  • A different take on the Superman story with a stronger focus on Lois & Clark rather than Superman. It proved an even better series now that I'm older.

Having never read a single Superman comic and barely seeing any of the 4 Superman movies, this was my Superman, my primary venture into the that universe. I was also only 9 when this series began so some of the series was over my head.

Even though I was young at the time I first saw some of this series, it stuck with me. While on the original airings, I started to like the show less and less once the Lois & Clark relationship really took off because I was more interested in Superman and wasn't watching it for the love story. Once in college, though, I rewatched the whole series, beginning to end, this time appreciating this relationship focus more.

While the series was a bit chessy at times, it was still a good show. This wasn't a typical superhero vs supervillain show. Most of the "bad guys" were ordinary humans. While I would have liked to see a little more of the supervillians, I still liked the fact that it was different from other superhero shows. Even Lex Luthor wasn't a major villian all the time. He was only really around in season 1, but returned later for a few episodes here and there.

• Strong characterization of Lois and Clark make this a must-watch for Superman fans.

Lois and Clark is a mid-90's television show that served as a launching ground for both Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher's careers. Let's get this out of the way first: The show is not perfect. The effects are hokey, the villains laughable, and the writing sub-par. What does work is the chemistry between the two title characters - this chemistry is really the best reason to check the show out. Hatcher obviously was the more experienced of the pair, and helped carry the more dramatic scenes. Cain as Clark Kent is satisfying, although he can come off as a bit stiff. I enjoyed him much more as Clark, as opposed to Superman. His portrayal of the Man of Steel is somewhat disappointing. He doesn't have quite the stature of Kal-El, and, more importantly to a fan like me, the producers didn't bother to give him one of Superman's most famous features - his piercing blue eyes. The quality of the show also declined over time, as the first season is great, the second merely good, and the third and fourth average and below average, respectively. I think the creative teams moved too fast with the inevitable romance, and then spent the next seasons trying to delay the inevitable. This makes for a frustrating viewing experience, so I'm not surprised the show was cancelled after four seasons. Overall however, if you are a fan of Superman, you should check this show out. I would particularly recommend the first season, as this is quite possibly the best presentation of the Lois and Clark dynamic.
  • this second super hero show to actually be good (fist batman). good acting good twist good charcters good plot only thing that was bad is if you compared it to the comic.

this was the second super hero show I ever watched. the fist is the legendary batman. This show is the first original plot super hero show in decades. It is no wonder they got more than one season out of this show. This show is the reason dean cain was even on ripleys.
  • I Grew up With This Superman

I grew up with this Superman series and had watched this before I even knew the Superman Movies exsisted.
    I think this programme was how do you say... 'Nineties' funny in that it is cheesey but its the sort of cheese you LOVE. The characters that you don't see in the movies or see alittle from are all well formed and there seems to be real chemistry between the actors, but that could just be there acting skills at work.
    To me growing up with this Superman means that Dean Caine will always be the Real Superman, But even if you've never seen the series I think that apart from the technical things that dont match the franchise, it fits in very well with the other Series and movies.
  • Good entertainment

This show had a little bit of everything... action, suspense (in a comic book sorta way), humor, and romance. Terri Hatcher was great in this and Dean Cain made a very down to earth (heehee) Superman. Terri and Dean had great chemistry and their scenes together sizzled with sexual tension. I liked that the show had plenty of humor mixture throughout, with plenty of little jokes about Superman's suit and hair. I thought they did a good job with the progression of the characters and the Lois/Clark relationship. Both Lois and Clark grew through their relationship with one another, becoming better and stronger people.

I have to say that I was disappointed with the last episode. It seemed like the writers just slapped something together to finish off the show, and it really didn't do justice to what was otherwise in excellent series.
  • Good series

I used to watch this when I was little then a couple of years ago in nz when they show it on tv, now I just got all the season a couple of weeks ago, 4th season was only ok, but I really love the 3rd season. 2nd and 1st ain’t too bad.

4th season the ending could be better, lol. Oh well…

I just realize that watch the show again I found it funny, I didn’t realize till now. In the 3rd season, when Clark hears something Lois can back him up, last time he would always make an excuse. Lol. I like the relationship between Clark and his parents, it is very cool. I found it funny that Lois is in love with superman but think Clark is a pest… lol and some times the things she say is very funny, because we know Clark is superman.

Good show, always bring memory back, and I also love the relationship between Lois and Clark, it’s really funny, most of the time any ways. lol
  • The Man of Steel modernised.

My memory isn't great on this, so forgive a little error here or there!
    The great thing about the show was that it put Superman back on screen but with a more modern setting.
    That it focused on Lois and Clark was something that I think a lot of comic fans were upset about but I think it was fine. There was still plenty of action.
    One of the best things was that their relationship was sometimes central to the plot and the solving of situations. Often Superman and Lois would have to work together or exchange saving each other.
    Also, that Lois was in a love triangle with two aliases of the same person was a very interesting dynamic!
    Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher were both great, as was the rest of the cast.
  • Probably the forefather of all things Super Hero related today.

It may seem outdated, but this show still holds a place with me and many others. This series was the fore bearer to all series and movies to come related to super heroes. It finally made Superman look good, but also focused on his "human"side and growing relationship with Lois Lane, while maintaing tru to all the classical and historical superman references. In its time I think this was not appreciated enough and as such was probably the reason that the series was cancelled after so few seasons, nowadays it would most likely have lasted at least 6 seasons before ending on a great note.
    Anyone who loves the current smallville and would like to imagine where that series creators and writers could take CK after it should check out this series and maybe get an idea of what could be done with todays technologies.
  • One of my personal favorites..

One of my personal favorites.. love watching this show.. feel it could have gone on much longer that it did....also felt the season finale could have been better...

Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher had great on screen chemistry and were pretty funny together at times.....the other cast members were pretty good too.......

It was definitely underappreciated and should have been given more due.......I think it really set the way for Smallville with Tom Welling to follow (which is one of my favorite shows right now)

All 4 seasons out on dvd now!!!! Will definitely buy the last season that just came out...
  • Super engaging

I'm not an avid fan of Superman; more of a casual admirer but I have to say that this show really rocked. A few years back I started watching it when the series came out on DVD. It didn't take me long to get hooked and soon I was binge watching it. My favorite season was the second one. This show had a winning mix with action, romance, some adventure, suspense, mystery, and some good humor thrown in there. An overall good blend however toward the end it got more of a sci-fi element and then the executives made some unsound choices when making and marketing the show. Still the majority of the episodes where pretty good. My biggest complaint was that the show ended on a cliff hanger when now married trying to start a family Lois and Clark discover an infant left on their doorstep for them without any saying where the baby was from or who gave it to them. That was to be the start of a new season that never got created. It so deserved a better ending.

Still, I highly recommend this show with its engaging characters, great acting, super action, superb storytelling, and ever so often a great joke that is well placed.
  • superman and co - the stories :)

Oh... this is a show which got from great to .. well.. mediocre .. all because of actor's like Mr. Shea, who was a great Lex Luthor, but decided that the commute between work and home was too much, so, at the end of Season 1, they killed Lex Luthor.

I mean, let's face it.. Season 1, was the best, until they killed Luthor. The show was jazzy, fun, quick, action, drama, and great storylines. But, then came the killing of Luthor and season 2, 3 and 4 non-sense.

It got from bad to worse.. Nevermind, the dropping of Cat Grant, the recasting of Jimmy Olsen, the show just didn't have that zest of Season 1.

And of course, killing Supes' arch enemy in the first season, that was totally unrealistic, but then again, what to do?

The fact that this show lasted 4 seasons, is a testament of how much people like Superman. Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher were great together, there is no denying, and overall the cast was superb. Lane Smith as Perry White was comic book perfect! So, the special FX weren't always top notch, but still, overall, the show had potential.

Could have lasted longer, had things gone differently in Season 1's ending, which to me, is keep Luthor and keep the same staff for the show.
  • Good show...

lois and clark the new adventures of superman follow clark kent and his early years in metropolis. Season one I guess the main villain is lex luthor as usual and then at the end of the season they killed him off. season 2 villain is a criminal organization known as intergang. We also see lex luthor in one episode. lois and clark is mainly about clark kent and his struggles with being superman. the show lasted 4 years, I guess it started getting stupid in season 4. In season 1 jimmy olsen was played by Michael landis but in 2,3,4 he was played by Justin Whalin. Some people say they replaced him because he looked to much like dean cain. I like seeing the live action superhero shows like this now if only they could do a batman one. At times this show can be funny and cheesy but for the most part it's awesome. I have the season 2 dvd set. Later...
  • A pretty good show.

Lois and Clark is not as good as Smallville, but it's a pretty good show when it came out during the 90s. at that time, the superman movie franchise went sour after the release of superman 4. a new reinterpretation of the superman genre was badly needed, lois and clark provided that. this show did well really well in terms of the quality of the stories. perhaps the ratings wasn't good enough during the last season, but this was a pretty good show in terms of storyline and execution. this is an interesting take on superman, dean cain is a perfect clark kent.
< 1 2 3 4