Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

ABC (ended 1997)

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Fan Reviews (91)

• A different take on the Superman story with a stronger focus on Lois & Clark rather than Superman. It proved an even better series now that I'm older.

Having never read a single Superman comic and barely seeing any of the 4 Superman movies, this was my Superman, my primary venture into the that universe. I was also only 9 when this series began so some of the series was over my head.

Even though I was young at the time I first saw some of this series, it stuck with me. While on the original airings, I started to like the show less and less once the Lois & Clark relationship really took off because I was more interested in Superman and wasn't watching it for the love story. Once in college, though, I rewatched the whole series, beginning to end, this time appreciating this relationship focus more.

While the series was a bit chessy at times, it was still a good show. This wasn't a typical superhero vs supervillain show. Most of the "bad guys" were ordinary humans. While I would have liked to see a little more of the supervillians, I still liked the fact that it was different from other superhero shows. Even Lex Luthor wasn't a major villian all the time. He was only really around in season 1, but returned later for a few episodes here and there.

Sadly, the show ended before it finished the plot line started at the end of season 4. While this was a little bit of a disappointment, it wasn't a completely open end. It gave enough closure not to anger all fans but still left things unanswered. Give it a chance if you enjoy Superman.