Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Season's Greedings

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 04, 1994 on ABC

• In a series of over the top villains, the most over the top of them all!

So it's a Christmas episode - time to expect some festive storylines and some moral message about the meaning of Christmas. Normally I hate that sort of thing, but this particular one has to go down as my all time favourite Holiday episode of any US TV show that I've seen - and all because of Mr. Schott, our rogue toyman. It's one of the most absurd acting performances I've ever seen - had me in stitches with the sheer energy of it (misplaced, but you can tell he's trying). From the moment he enters with his enormous forehead and bellows "MS. DUFF-AY!" (which he seems to do an awful lot; it's hilarious every time), you know you're in for something special, but the real highlight of the episode is his bout of maniacal laughter in his warehouse full of Atomic Space Rats. "They will pay...and pay...AND PAY!!!!" Had me in stitches.

I've no idea whether this was supposed to be intentionally hilarious or is there by dint of the producers having a soft spot for comic book over-the-topness, but the effect was a great one. I'm not normally a huge fan of behaviour changing storylines, but I can overlook that. There were some funny scenes intermingled with the cringeworthyness - look out for Perry White as Father Christmas (Santa to you American types).

So the moral of the story - if you go far enough into the absurd, you come out with laughter. All hail Mr. Schott and his army of Atomic Space Rats!

Sir Thursday
  • Great Christmas Episode

This was a great and funny episode. First off i say Dean Cain is good at writing the scripts. He proved it by doing this episode. It is basically a fired toy maker makes a evil toy that makes people greedy. Also all the adults act like kids. The best part in this episode was Lois & Clark fighting like bro and sis. Its funny as hell cause Clark is like Lois is in trouble. Then when he burned her heel off and his mom was yelling at him. Classic and just brilliant. Also Perry dancing on the desk was very funny too. In the end the toy maker did the right thing. I also like the message about christmas being taken over by crappy toys. And how people go insane for shopping. I like the way it ended with Lois & Clark getting closer to each other. This was one of my favorite episodes of season two now. A classic.
  • Christmas time...

This will be my last Christmas review of the yaer ... well I hope it is. Everyone is going crazy over the new toy which make you greedy because of this special spray inside it. This is all because of the Toy man who got fired because no one liked his toys so he is getting revenge. We get to see a clasic Superman villain Toy man as previously stated. I felt thatthey didn't go the right way eith toy man they should have tried to make him more like he was in the comics. In the Comics you don't even know if he is human or not. Well that was the only drawback in this episode. Later...
  • This is so hilarious!!

Adults acting like children is such a hilarious concept!!!!Especially Perry dancing on his desk - classic!! And the sibling-like rivalry between Lois and Clark is soooo cute!!! The way they acted like brother and sister is their teasing was so adorable!! And the way Martha responded to Clark burning Lois\' heel was so cute - she was so empowering and treated Clark like such a little kid - classic!!
  • True Meaning of Christmas

This was the first episode that Dean Cain writen. It's a shame he doesn't do it often because this episode was really good due to characterization, plot, and build up. In the first and some of the second half it has mean spirited fun by satrical parody on Christmas consumer culture. It shows how truely ridiculous people's greed over a certain product no matter how dumb or crazy it looks, people can't help but be drawn to it and to have the addictive urge to buy it. Sort of like drug dependance or gambling problems. And yet it's an empty pleasure that can never fill you up, sort of like chewing on bubble gum when the flavor runs out. It's funny just seeing members of the Superman family act contrary to their own personas and are just all id. From seeing Lois have a bad case of the gimmies and play hop scotch in the Daily Planet down to Clark play dirty tricks with his superpowers. Another thing that's funny are the bad guys themselves played by Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford best known as the Jeffersons whom are bad guys we actually like and aren't so bad. As usually their funny but their also sympathtic and humane characters.

Of course by some of the second and final half, things start to get warm and the true meaning of Christmas surfaces. From the redeming acts of the bad guys to Lois and Clark spending Christmas together where theres a small hint of development toward romance.

In the end it goes to show that greed and consumerism are nothing compared to love, joy, friends and family which are the true meaning of Christmas.