A Looking Community
HBO (ended 2015)

We thought Thanksgiving would mean a bit of a slowdown in TV Land, and had planned to skip FTW vs. WTF this week. Oops, we were wrong! There was almost as much noteworthy TV as there was food in our Turkey Day spread—the main difference being that while our holiday buffet was wholly delicious, the week's TV offerings were both good and bad (and some extra bad, in the case of one specific animated series on Fox). So while we all recover from our mashed-potatoes hangover, let's revisit the television that made us thankful and the television that made us thankful for the WTF section this week.

SPOILER ALERT: The "week in review" nature of this story means that there are spoilers throughout. We've called out some of the biggies at the start of the entries in questions, but many of the pictures tell all. If you're not up to date on the week in TV, you may want to bookmark this story for another day. 

[Boardwalk Empire SPOILER ALERT] Nucky Thompson & Co. closed out their best season yet with a wrenching finale

HBO's expensive, violent period drama ascended to real greatness in Season 4, on the back of a glut of great performances and the writers' smart use of their ever-weird lead character Nucky Thompson. The season finale took most of the audience by surprise; even though the festivities were less explosive than they've been in years past, the show managed to hit us with a gut-punch anyway with the death of a fan-favorite character. 

This week's Person of Interest hurt real bad

The series concluded a three-hour arc with a masterpiece of an episode, examining its characters through the lens of a tragedy and doing so in its darkest and most beautiful installment yet. But the piece de resistance was the stirring opening, a montage set to Johnny Cash's "Hurt"—it was oh-so-Jonah Nolan-y, and the best part of one of the best episodes of the year. 

These Breaking Bad caricatures

An artist named Anthony Geoffroy put several characters from the greatest show of all time through his creative filter to produce an excellent series of extremely exaggerated portraits. Just look at the size of Mike's melon! 

Steven Universe showed us that not even adorable cats can  the downside of adorable cats

Steven discovered that the Crystal Gems can be transformed into various things, and he obviously wanted to exploit this exciting new power—but he only managed to turn his fingers into meowing cat heads. It was weird... and adorable. Unfortunately, that's when things went awry, and kitten heads started sprouting up all over him, in a sort of kid-friendly Cronenberg-esque body horror. While oddly disturbing, it also demonstrated that Steven Universe is committed to depicting the potential pitfalls of superpowers, even in their most darkly cute incarnations.

Vic, Shane, and Lem from The Shield reunited

Michael Chiklis tweeted this photo of himself and former The Shield castmates Kenny Johnson and Walton Goggins, and we immediately felt the urge to dust off our complete series DVD set. But we can't help but notice someone's missing; where's Ronnie (David Rees Snell)? Still in prison?

The second trailer for HBO's Looking is almost too much Groff to handle

When HBO released the first trailer for Looking, its forthcoming new series starring Jonathan Groff, we were excited. And after watching this second, longer trailer—which offers a better sense of the show's characters and tone—we're extra excited. January 19 can't come soon enough!

Atlantis, TV's easiest and breeziest action-adventure series

This U.K. import from the creators of Merlin is the perfect Saturday-evening treat, with nothing too brainy or serious going on and plenty of humor and Commodore 64-grade special effects. The three central characters—Jason, Hercules, and Pythagoran—have already fought dragon-lizards, a minotaur, and angry Atlantians, and it's the kind of show where paying close attention is mostly optional, though when you do, you're guaranteed to be entertained. Plus it stars Robert Baratheon!

Glee's piano man finally got some lines

And even though they were pretty depressing and Blaine totally ignored everything he said, it was pretty awesome to actually hear him speak. #thelittlethings

[Sleepy Hollow SPOILER ALERT] Ichabod Crane is a father!

Holy moly, Sleepy Hollow. You're not holding anything back, are you? Last week you revealed the true identity of the Headless Horseman, and this week you let slip that Katrina was pregnant with a son at the time of Ichabod's death. Now we just want to know why Katrina never felt like this was something she needed to share with her dear husbanc, unless the kiddo died, turned out to be evil, was sacrificed, etc. In which case, uh, it was probably better that Ichabod didn't know. Except that now he does and it's all we can think about. And speaking of fatherhood...

Our own Tim Surette is now a dad!

TV.com's youngest future intern entered the world this week, when Tim and his wife became the proud new parents of a beautiful baby girl. Congratulations, Tim!

How I Met Your Mother's "Bedtime Stories"

We definitely applaud Carter Bays and Craig Thomas's ambitious decision to script an entire episode in rhyme, but we wish the tales that Marshall told baby Marvin to keep him quiet during the bus ride to Farhampton had been funnier. However, Lin-Manuel Miranda rapping about how nothing rhymes with Canada was pretty great.

[Family Guy SPOILER ALERT!] The Griffins lost a beloved family member

Character deaths happen all the time on TV shows (see last week's FTW if you need proof), but we never expected such a big one to happen on Seth MacFarlane's flagship animated series. That's why we're still reeling over the hit-and-run accident that took Brian's life; even though the demise of the Griffin family pooch was handled fairly admirably—especially for Family Guy—we just refuse to believe it's true. Brian was Stewie's best friend, and usually the smartest brain in the room, and now he's gone? Get outta here!

(For the record, we're guessing Brian will somehow be back before the season's through... at which point his temporary departure from the mortal coil will be even more WTF, on account of the show being a dick and messing with us like that.)

Hart of Dixie's lame excuse for Jaime King's absence

We've been wondering all season how the show would write Lemon out of the story when Jaime King went on maternity leave (kudos to the series for concealing her pregnancy so well up 'til now). But as far as excuses go, having to take care of a bitchy grandmother who fell—off-screen—after an argument with Brick was probably the weakest of the weak. Seriously, it would've been easier to send her off on an extended visit to her annoying kid sister, Magnolia, who's now at boarding school. Or to a really long vacation at a spa? Anything but the stupid "grandmother who broke her hip" excuse!

The Walking Dead's Governor storyline

For the second week in a row, we saw one of the worst citizens of The Walking Dead's post-apocalyptic world play daddy to a girl he just met, husband to a woman he barely knows, and savior to a family that isn't his. And his idea of "protection" is to murder anyone who stands in gets in way of him holding all the power. Instead of creating a complex character, the show just made him complicated. Can we get back to the coughing and sneezing of the prison now, please?

[The Mentalist SPOILER ALERT!] The reveal of Red John was kind of underwhelming?

The Mentalist finally wrapped up its extended Red John arc with a somewhat shoulder-shrugging reveal. Sheriff Thomas McAllister, the inept sheriff from the series' second episode, was Red John? He was the one who murdered Patrick Jane’s family? He was the villain who'd eluded Jane for a decade? To be fair, 95 percent of TV shows wouldn't've been able to pull off such a reveal and have it not be a disappointment. But it's still kind of a bummer that it went down this way. At least the storyline is finally over, right?

What's on YOUR list of TV loves and hates this week?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/22/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

189 Comments
Comments (189)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Here's one for THIS week: Tony Musante dead from complications from ORAL SURGERY!

ORAL surgery? So now oral surgeons are killing people?

Quick, before the Association Of Dentists has this removed:

The actor Tony Musante has died, at age 77, from complications following oral surgery.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-actor-tony-musante-106130
Flag
BRIAN SHALL LIVE AGAIN!!!!, a bunch of posts about crossover ep with simpsons and future eps with Birans name in it, also this was posted in an article Oct 29th

Family Guy has recruited two familiar TV voices for an upcoming episode, and those voices belong to Maya Rudolph and Glenn Howerton. Rudolph, a veteran of SNL and Up All Night, will assume the role of an avid runner who catches Brian’s eye. To win her over, he pretends to be a fellow jogger. “After Brian experiences the ‘runner’s high’, he becomes a distance running douche, and even signs himself up to run a marathon,” Family Guy executive producer Steve Callaghan tells EW.

I hope they bring him back pet cemetery style or do a Ghost moment with Brian and stewie doing pottery.
Flag
WTF: Herschel's death.

FTW: I love Dracula against all odds.
Flag
So help me, I too love Dracula. I spend the first 10 minutes of every episode thinking "what is going ON in this crazyland?" but 20 minutes later I am totally sucked into it's wacky, gorgeous world.
Flag
Finaly someone agrees with me ! :D
Flag
The previews of the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover have Brian in them, so I'm guessing Brian becomes a ghost or Stewie eventually clones him. This stunt was pulled only to get ratings, and it succeeded phenomenally. But only 3 things on this show ever stuck: the Jewish drugstore guy's wife was killed, Cleavland left, and Joe's wife had her baby. That's IT! Brian will be back in one form or another.

The finale to the Red Jon storyline was in some ways better and in other ways worse than the fake Red Jon reveal and death in season 3. Fake Red Jon seemed more dangerous and psychotic. really the fitting the evil persona that was described... and then Jane killed him in 2 minutes after his reveal. REALLY anti-climactic. REAL Red Jon just seemed too... nice. And kind of wimpy. But the chase scene and Patrick killing Red Jon with his bare hands seemed more fitting than just shooting him point blank with a vacant expression. If they made Fake Red Jon the real McCoy and gave him Real Red Jon's death scene, this would've been the perfect end to the storyline. Instead you get this, but I am glad that this stupid storyline is done once and for all. (Though honestly, I would've liked to have seen Elizabeth Rohm's psychiatrist character as Red Jon, since she's one of the only people Jane trusted after his family's deaths. Still can't believe they killed her off and put her head in an oven.)
More+
Flag
I gave up on The Mentalist last season, but I was kind of hoping Jayne had a split personality that was Red John. Because that's the only way I would have been happy (read: completely emotionally drained) by a reveal. Jayne's split personality, that hypnotist/cult leader guy, or, in the worst case, a member of the CBI team.

POI - painful and fantastic. And go Elias :D

Congrats Tim (and Tim's wife)!
Flag
Person of Interest FTW for the entire outstanding 3-episode arc and 3 years of stunning entertainment!
(Think they will EVER be even noticed by the Emmy Awards' cable only-judges)?
Flag
HA! Just in case some ... um... "educationally challenged person" misses that "THE WEEK IN REVIEW" in the page title means "THIS PAGE IS A SERIES OF SPOILERS", TV.com has added a SPOILER ALERT for the entire page. Hopefully, this will quash the whiners who get halfway down the page and are surprised to read about something they haven't watched or see a screen capture that gives away the big reveal. But if not, remember that you and you alone are responsible for what you put before your eyes. (Sorry, but the spoiler whingers have become really irritating.)
Flag
I don't watch Family Guy, but I can easily see Brian coming back as a ghost/imaginary character that only Stewie can see.
Flag
Congrats Tim! What's the name of the baby though?
Flag
FTW agree for Sleepy Hollow, Person of Interest, Glee Piano Man getting lines
FTW Blacklist
FTW The scene in Mentalist where Jane chokes "Red John" no matter what you thought of the reveal that scene deserves an Emmy for Simon Baker
FTW On Lady Gaga's Holiday Spectacular the 3 Muppets nobody understands what they are saying, did the classic carols (Swedish Chef, Beaker & Animal)
FTW Renfield's back story on Dracula & his "master" saving him
WTF/FTW Glee cast doing The Fox with their puppets
Actually completely WTF to How I Met your mother for the rhyming episode & this season, the wedding has to be over already, stop with these delay episodes

Flag
Congratulations to you and your wife Tim, welcome to many sleepless nights that are not by choice.
Flag
Haha, oh god, once again people complaining about spoilers in the "This week in review" article. Seriously, people. Don't click on this article if you're not caught up on important stuff.
Flag
Totally agree about the Mentalist. My wife and I thought it was all a fake out even after he killed the so called 'Red John'. Honestly, we're still waiting for the 'You thought Red John was dead' trailer for next season.

I actually felt quite the opposite about The Walking Dead's Governor arc. Rarely does a show put the spotlight on the villain in such a focused manner, and I found his desperate need to regain the family he had lost a powerful driver for him. We know what lengths he will go to to keep his family close (including a living-dead daughter in a closet in chains, hello!). We all know the Governor is unbalanced, but I thought it was cool to see how just when we thought he was going to turn a corner into the human race, he back-pedals into his personal madness. I thought the last two episodes added a new dimension to the character that the last season didn't.
Flag
I haven't read the comments but skimmed down to see something about spoilers and decided to skip the comments for now.
First of all this is a list of moments that happened in last weeks shows (it says it in the title so obviously there will be spoilers if you aren't up to date on your shows). I skipped this article for a bit because I was behind on all shows. Today I am just skipping show mentions for shows I am not caught up on. Yes, I'm defending tv.com on this point.

Well done tv.com on this list;.-)

FTW: Blacklist--everything about the last episode
FTW: POI--everything for the past 3 episodes
FTW: SoA--clay dying and for the rest of the show
FTW: Boardwalk Empire (some good, some not so great but over all the season and the finale were FTW)
FTW: The Good Wife--everything

WTF: TWD's governor only episodes (please, no more)
WTF: The Mentalist and the Red John reveal

I can't remember if AHS was on this week but I don't think so. If it was then it definitely deserves a FTW

I'm not up to date on Sleepy Hollow, Homeland or Arrow so I skip past stuff on that so as to not see spoilers. It's actually easy to do that;-)

More+
Flag
"so I skip past stuff on that so as to not see spoilers. It's actually easy to do that"

What is this wicked black magic you're using?

Every other post, you remind me why you're one of my favorite members around here. :3
Flag
Thank you! a few kind words/sentiments and you totally made my day wonderful!

...only every other post? I'll have to strive harder;-)

er, the wicked black magic is also known as common sense....lol

Thanks again and a compliment goes a long way. I think you are also a wonderful member.
Flag
Well, yeah. There are posts of yours relative to certain shows that I either don't watch or have yet to watch, so the comment sometimes goes right over my head. xD
Flag
Mentalist was ok, those relealings that build up for years are always underwhelming
Flag
As far as I'm concerned, the Red John storyline on The Mentalist will be ended properly when Patrick wakes up to find Patrick Duffy in the shower, and we learn that everything since the end of season 3 was just a dream.
Flag
Staff
A quick note about all the spoiler complaints: We've added a blanket alert below the intro at the top of the page.

But please keep in mind that there's only so much we can--or are willing--to do do with a story like this one; given the fact that it's about things that happened on television within the preceding week, spoilers are part of its DNA. Read at your own risk!

(Yes, the spoiler alerts that appear in this story are weak. We included them as a last-ditch courtesy to those folks who sometimes decide to peruse the page even though they perhaps aren't caught up on recent TV events. Sounds like we would've been better off not using them at all.)
Flag
As someone who does sometimes read this article without being full up to date I would just say that it's not the spoiler alerts that are the problem but the pictures.

You can start skipping after reading each sub-title i.e. Spoiler Alert - Boardwalk Empire..... and easily skip on by without ruining anything, but I find (and assume most people) that the picture is instantly registered and negates the spoiler alert.

So no you wouldn't have been better off not using them, just using more generic pictures below (you could even have used pictures of the characters who did die....just not the pictures of them dead).

No one complaining about spoilers are complaining that they are there, just that they are practically unavoidable.
Flag
personally when I notice a picture coming up I focus on the title or focus up and over to the corner of the screen so as not to see the picture until I can indirectly determine if it is a show I am up to date on. This takes a bit of self control and patience which is not an innate skill of mine so I have to be aware and cautious when coming to the article if I am not up to date on my shows. If I screw up and see a spoiler then it is my fault since I came here knowing the article has "spoilers" and I failed to adhere to my method of avoiding "spoilers" (paid to close attention to the screen instead of using my peripheral vision to determine if it is a spoiler).

Stanking has an easier suggestion on how to avoid spoilers.
Flag
Fair enough, that's quite an impressive bit of concentration you do there. My main point is that my method (making a judgement on the first two words of the sub-title, which are normally the show title, and then skipping that post) has never caused problems before. If it was I would have either stopped reading this article unless fully up to date or would know it as the way things are in this article and wouldn't of made the initial minor complaint.

The point is this week's article (just this week's) has made a small easily avoidable mistake that is not present in previous weekly round ups.

I quite enjoy this article and as have said many times I have read it when not fully up to date with no spoilers on multiple occasions in the past. This week they put pictures that are incredibly spoiler filled right there, making them almost unavoidable (unless blessed with your admittedly impressive method of selection).

I realise you seem to think we are having a whine for no real reason but can you tell me what would be so wrong with keeping the pictures spoiler free so that no one is annoyed?
More +
Flag
on IMDB message boards I have seen sentences "blacked out" until you hover over them and then the words show up. Maybe something like that with the photos would keep everyone happy (at least thought that could control their hovering abilities)
Flag
No, they're not. Avoid the page altogether. You can do it. It's not difficult.
Flag
Yes.....thanks for that. Obviously you can avoid the page before but (as I yet again seem to have to explain) previous FTW/WTFs have NOT caused the same problem.

Therefore it is not obvious to someone clicking on this article that there will be major unavoidable spoilers right there in the pictures.

Previously this has not been the case. If it had then my complaint would never have come about would it?

Anyway we seem to be going round in circles without you (seemingly) able to fully realise my point. So I'll just ask this:

With your way the answer is simple: Unless fully up to date, you can't read this article and then TV.com can post as many spoiler filled pictures as they want.

With my way: Anyone can read the article regardless of whether they are 100% on the week's events and simply skip the stuff they aren't up to date on. However the only requirement is that the pictures can't contain pictures of the characters dead (hell they can still be a picture of the character...just not their last moments).

Is that really so much to ask so that we can all enjoy the same article without having things spoiled?
More +
Flag
@stanking below:

Ha I enjoy the analogy but don't think it's the same. Different picture = no problem. Also I should point out it was only a minor complaint as it didn't actually ruin anything for me, unlike some others.
In a way yes if I had I would have myself to blame but only to an extent. I still think the easiest solution is to keep the picture spoiler free so us "speeding" fools can read the article with an admittedly only reduced risk of spoilers.

Don't cut them out, just help give me (and others) that option.

Never saying I wasn't responsible for what I read, but you're gonna base your actions off of your previous experiences. If previously this article has never spoiled anything (even with spoilers included as I have skipped them) then it not insane of me to click again expecting to be able to do the same again. Again this is mainly just an opinion and not so much a complaint as luckily I had watched Boardwalk Empire and although I am not currently up to date on Person of Interest that post was skippable.
More +
Flag
Mint, what's spoiled here is you. When it comes down to it, you're responsible for what you look at. Just accept that. The fact that you've gotten away with looking at the weekly review in the past doesn't change that. You may get away with speeding all the time, but when you get caught, you don't tell the judge that it hasn't been a problem in the past. You're responsible for your actions. Only you.
Flag
Yes! It's the headlines and pictures that spoil things, and they can't always be avoided. I stayed away from tv.com as much as I could after the Doctor Who special, to avoid spoilers. I still saw some.
Flag
The title itself is a spoiler alert so don't feel bad and please don't change this article just to cater to people who didn't read the title of the article, aren't caught up on their shows and don't know how to skim without focusing.....
Great list and well done. Ignore the cries of "spoilers"---what did they think this article was about?
Flag
Damm Spoilers! I see you guys announce the spoiler but sometimes you can't avoid to see the photo, and in the boardwalk empire one there's some pretty obvious information! I wish these pictures gave away less information in the future...Just my opinion
Flag
The Dude abides. Seriously though nice picture. I agree it's the pictures that are the problem not anything else.
Flag
RIP, Paul Walker. =(

Congrats, Tim! =)

(Start off a bit negative, end up buoyant...)

FTW: PersonofInterestPersonofInterestPersonofInterestPersonofInterestPersonofInterestPersonofInterest.
Flag
FTW: Klaus v. Marcel & his minions.
Flag
FTW: Sleepy Hollow for turning in one creepy awesome episode and for Ich finding out that he is a daddy.
FTW: The cliff hanger on The Blacklist has us sitting on the edge of our seats.
FTW: POI awesome episode dealing with Carter's death.
FTW: Grimm for dealing quickly with their sub plots and for turning in a great episode.
FTW: Congrats to Tim for becoming a Daddy *HUGS*
WTF: The ending of Red John on the Mentalist. We were disappointed to find out who it was and we are unsure if the mystery is really over or not.
Flag
Congratulations, Tim!!!!
Flag
Sincere congratulations to you and your wife, Tim.

Flag
POI & TWD FTW/WTF!
Flag
The best line(s) from The Mentalist was years ago when Jane announced to someone he was from the CBI. He said something like, "I know it sounds made up, but I assure you, it's a real thing. We even have a website." Red John was never believable, so this nonsense being over is a FTW. As badass as Red John was portrayed, the idea of Jane catching him wasn't ever believable. Meh...
Flag
Congratulations Tim. You are one of the most interesting and interactive, not to mention well written journalists, around the corners of the internet that I visit. I wish you and your family all the best!

Now, please get back to work. Those hateful Homeland reviews aren't gonna write themselves.
Flag
YES I do enjoy his work, and his Homeland reviews, mainly because he tells it how it is.
Flag
CONGRATS TIM!!! :D
Flag
The Mentalist was underwhelming. I checked out of this show two seasons ago. I only watched because I wanted to see what they did with the story. Wish I hadn't wasted my time. They had a good villain with Bradley Whitford and even a place to go with that and they totally missed the boat. Sheriff McAllister was terrible and not believable. Boo! Time to end this show. Good thing CBS has Person of Interest. What a great opening sequence and awesome end of the 3 part story. Excellent.

Congrats on your new child Tim!
Flag
I completely disagree about the Mentalist thing. I think it was a great episode and great revel
Flag
Congratulations to Tim and his wife on the birth of their little girl.
Flag
Congratulations, Tim! Being up in the middle of the night with the baby will give you a chance to watch what's been sitting in your DVR.

As for TV, I'm still reeling from The Day of the Doctor, since I couldn't watch it until Tuesday. I also love all the extras that have been released online. And I really liked the rhyming story on HIMYM. It was very creative and clever.
Flag
Anyway we can get some pictures of the newest little intern!
Flag
My three minor complaints with this FTW/WTF:

1. Breaking Bad was brilliant but not "the greatest show of all time"

2. The Governor episodes have been an awesome change of pace

3. Your spoiler alerts are terrible, the photos directly below give it all away for both deaths you talk about. I don't follow Family Guy closely but if I hadn't managed to see Boardwalk Empire's finale yet I would be seriously pissed off.
Flag
Yeah they're spoiler alerts sucked. Ruined Boardwalk Empire and Sons of anarchy for me. But i disagree. Breaking Bad The Wire and The Sopranos are the 3 greatest shows of all time. Breaking Bad IMO being the best. One could also argue for Game of Thonres.
Flag
I choose the same Three, but put The Wire as my favourite.
Flag
The Wire is pretty amazing. Its a close 2nd for me.
Flag
Homer puts it more politely than I would. If you even click the link to an article entirely devoted to what happened in the previous week and then have the audacity to bitch about spoilers - with or without the courtesy spoiler tag - your sanity and/or intelligence is seriously in question. Sorry, but you're blaming someone else for something you yourself did.
Flag
I guess no one reads the title of the article which basically says "spoilers" if you aren't caught up on your shows. It's also easy to skim past stuff (even photos) on shows you are not caught up on (I do it all the time and haven't had a problem and if I do then I have no one to blame but myself since the title of this article speaks for itself).
Flag
I think you have misunderstood Hungry_Homer111 below, who is agreeing with me.

I'm not particularly bitching about it (it spoiled nothing for me personally), but rather I am pointing out the futility of their spoiler alerts. Also what you say is not strictly true, in previous FTW/WTFs I have openend the article and simply skipped past the posts relevant to any TV show for which I am not up to date. This is not possible in this case as the picture of Richard Harrow's face mask leaves little to the imagination.

Also answer me this; if this article is intended solely for those completely up to date with all the week's TV then why do they even bother with spoiler alerts?

The point remains, the spoiler alerts are negated by the pictures below, they could have left any other picture from the relevant show and I would have no grievance (however minor my grievance currently is) whatsoever.
Flag
"why do they even bother"... Could it be a tongue-in-cheek wink at those who cry anytime they see something they didn't know and immediately blame the poster? After all, if you follow Person of Interest and don't know by this time that [SPOILER] died, you've been living under a rock. And as Vicky pointed out, the title of this page, "THE WEEK IN REVIEW", basically says "CLICK THIS TO SEE A SERIES OF SPOILERS", so I think it's more humorous than an honest attempt to protect people's ignorance. What's truly humorous to me is that TV.com gets bitched at whether they use the spoiler tag or not.
Flag
I have only watched half the first season of Person of Interest, and will probably return to it at some point, luckily that is one post I did manage to skip without getting anything spoiled.

You ignore the fact that, as I said, previous FTW/WTFs have not been spoiler filled whilst still being about the past week's events. It is simply this week's article that has spoiler pictures negating the warnings.

TV.com doesn't get bitched at regardless of whether they use spoiler tags or not. If it didn't use them at all even in an article like this then sure people would be angry, but I have no problem with them using them and then discussing major spoilers, as you say that is the point of this article, however I do have a problem when they take away your chance to heed the alert as the pictures (which it is pretty impossible not to register instantly) negate the spoiler warnings.

If you think this article is solely for those who are up to date on every TV show of the past week then fair enough but even most of us TV addicts aren't always 100% with all story lines across all of TV. I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to enjoy the bits of this article we are up to date with whilst being able to skip the other parts (as I have done numerous times before with no problem).

Anyway my concern has somewhat been dealt with by an additional warning from TV.com pointing out that the pictures are spoilers themselves.

More +
Flag
I agree with your #3. I mean, I get that this article is designed specifically to talk about big events on TV, and you have yourself to blame if you see something about a show that you don't want to be spoiled on, but if they go out of their way to have spoiler alerts in the article, then don't actually show the event that you're giving the warning for, because that completely defeats the purpose.
Flag
FTW: Person of Interest finishing off a great 3 part story arc with an episode that actually surpassed my very high expectations by not only giving us the badass Reese we all expected, but also exploring the emotional impact that last week's events had on all of the characters, and emphasizing how much they've changed (or haven't changed) since the pre-pilot days by contrasting the current-day story with the flashbacks. And, as mentioned in the article, the opening montage was like a work of art which brilliantly pulled us into the episode.

Also, congratulations, Tim!
Flag
Yes.
Flag
Congratulations Tim.
Flag
A WTF missing: Paul Walker
& CONGRATS TIM!!
Flag
Paul has been on TV, but most of his career, and certainly all of his fame, happened on the movie screen.
Flag
Yeah, but movies also screen on tv and other member mention that he started his career on tv.. so..
Flag
What happened with Paul Waker?
Flag
Congratulations Tim!
Flag
True. Congratulations Tim!
Flag
Brian is dead?!

(The dog, not the Governor)
Flag
I think they played it smart with the Mentalist's ending. If it were that overwhelming, fast, and "american" style of cliffhanger, then it would just be a like a CSI 2-parter. However, they slowed the scene down to make you think of Jane's motive and actions. He could have been the bigger man, he could have walked away and let him bleed to death. But no. He slowly choked him, in a park full of children. The climax was there, but because we are used to flashy endings, no one saw it. It wasn't the reveal of Red John, it was Patrick's reaction that was the climax of the show.
Flag
Congrats Tim!
Flag
FTW: The return of Gallifrey (sort of) in the Doctor Who universe. Plus the cameo at the very end.
Flag
Congrats, Papa Tim!
FTW: Klaus's badass takedown on Marcel's minions, Ichabod Crane's badass takedown of the (terrible-looking) Tree Monster & Dracula's badass takedown of Renfield's torturers.
Flag
Congrats Tim..
Tim is going to be way too nicer on his reviews now. Babies mellows people out...or the lack of sleep will make him way too cynical. Either way i cant wait to read Tim The Dad 's reviews.
Apart from POI feels-fest, how hot was Tom Mison's Ichabod the Protective n bad-as* dad?
Flag
So hot!
Flag
"or the lack of sleep will make him way too cynical"
but how would you spot the difference from how Tim was pre-baby? :D
Flag
His writing gets all giddy/fanboy when he likes an episode..and all too indifferent when he doesn't (like he is expertly itemizing a recipe of a bad meal). Its fun reading his reviews.
They all have a style. Sometimes, you could watch an episode and almost "hear"or predict what --insert reviewer's name here-- will say about a scene (if not all episode), which scene will get a screen-grab, gif, be a talking point, or you watch something and it doesnt sit well, but know --insert reviewer's name here-- will analyze it or better yet explain it from the source material books/comics.
Flag
"Lin-Manuel Miranda rapping about how nothing rhymes with Canada was pretty great"

Pretty much the only thing I enjoyed in this episode. It's a shame HIMYM is going away with such a lame last season.
Flag
Also WTF, the resolution to the Red John storyline on the Mentalist was a carbon copy of the Jack of all Trades storyline on Profiler, where the serial killer who murdered the title character's family was, after several seasons, revealed to be masquerading as a bumbling small-town sheriff.
Flag
The Red John episode of The Mentalist was indeed underwhelming (not an awful ep, just 'meh') but I sort of expected it to be after +5 years of build up... I found McAllister a bit of a grey character, an underachiever in his 'real life' so not sure if I am totally convinced that he had the smarts to be Red John but hey, maybe that's the key to why he'd have to overcompensate for being a loser... I am actually more interested in the aftermath of the reveal (even if there is a 2 year time jump) than in the anticlimactic death of Red John...
Flag
"Looking": Allons-y, Alonso!

"The Mentalist": I didn't even remember that guy. At the point they were, it was either the president or Lisbon.
Flag
A week in tv listing and FTW-ing twitpics and drawings? I know it's been a slow week, but please stick to stuff that has actually been on tv.

Definite FTW Person of Interest

Holiday scheduling is a yearly WTF in my book. There's only so much time I can stand family and friends without copious amounts of alcohol. Guess a big FTW also goes out to Netflix for making tv shows available, legal and on demand.
Flag
Congrats Tim.... your nights of sleeping are over and get used to all that gray hair you will be getting soon lol.
Flag
Congratulations, Tim!

But I must say that Atlantis is a poor second cousin to Merlin in every way. I'm baffled that this show is from the same creators, or maybe it does make sense as a downward spiral: The first four seasons of Merlin were great, sometimes even spectacular when the acting, storylines and cinematography came together. But the creators kinda screwed up the last season of Merlin, waiting far toooo long for SPOILER Merlin's secret to be revealed to Arthur.
Flag
I couldn't agree more.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members