A Looking Community
HBO (ended 2015)
We've had a few weeks now to get into HBO's new series, Looking, and I have to admit: I'm hooked! This week's episode featured two of characters going on an epic day-long date and getting to know each other. & that's it! It felt very real, watching these two people who don't really know each other spend a day together and I loved every minute of it! I can't wait to see where this show goes and what will happen for this very likable group of friends. I'm already picking favorites. Are you?

Patrick

Oh so naive, sweet, adorable Patrick! Has a crush on his boss and almost ruins the first potential boyfriend he finds by pretending he just wants to hook up. Oops! I really want things to work out for him, but I have a feeling we're going to see his heart get broken a few times during the run of Looking. He's just too sweet for things to go his way.

Agustin

Hotttttt! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Agustin is so hot! He's just moved in with his equally hot boyfriend, but it's clear that Agustin is going to mess this one up. He seems too preoccupied with finding other people to have sex with, and his boyfriend, although going along with it, does seem to want to be exclusive. Yikes! I hope they can figure this one out because they are just so cute together when things are going well.

Dom

Dom's a little older than his friends but to be honest, he also seems to be a little less mature. He seems to be only interested in having one night stands, although the show does make it clear early on that he has done the relationship thing in the past and (maybe) failed at it. I'm interested to see where his relationship with Lynn (Scott Bakula, drool!) goes, but I can't see it working well, to be honest. Dom seems like he might care too much what other people think and having an (even older) boyfriend might not fit into his life at this time.

Richie

It's unclear how long Richie might stay in the picture (see my thoughts above) but I really like him. He seems super genuine (maybe the most out of any character on the show) and real. I like getting to know him as Patrick does. I hope that even if he & Patrick don't make it as a couple, Richie stays around. Only time will tell, I suppose. Or the writers. Anyone know any of the writers?

Frank

I have a feeling that Frank is going to be the one facing heartbreak first. He genuinely seems to love and care for Agustin, who seems hellbent on destroying their relationship with lies and sex. I would put money on Frank sticking around too long, getting really hurt, and then finally standing up for himself and leaving his boyfriend. Fingers crossed Agustin makes it up to him because I don't want to see Frank leave the show, either.

Doris

The token woman! We haven't really gotten to know Doris that well yet, but so far it seems like her only role is to be the token women. I'm hoping she starts to get some stories of her own so this character can become a well-rounded female character in a male-dominated show.

Poll

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/22/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

28 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 21, 2014
As a gay man i find this show spot on in the way it shows the different life styles of that gay community. From the down right sex obsessed to the ones that seek long term commitment. This has always been the way of the community for decades. Think it is spot on. As a Brit also loving that there is a rather attractive Brit also. :-)
Flag
Staff
Mar 21, 2014
Yeah, I do like that this show shows such a variety of characters. I loved the first season!
Flag
Mar 17, 2014
I just wish Dom would shave off that awful mustache...
Flag
Staff
Mar 17, 2014
Aw, I like the 'stache!
Flag
Feb 24, 2014
I didn't care for the pilot episode, but I've loved every ep after that. Richie is by far my favorite character, and I hope that Patrick is smart enough to keep him around. I think that Patrick will at some point ruin their relationship, but eventually, he'll realize how good for him Richie was and wind up with him.

I'm really enjoying Dom, too. I think he seems like a really nice guy who realizes he needs love in his life to be happy but he's reluctant in giving random sex younger guys to get there, cause to him, it feels like giving in to old age. I think Lynn is a great companion for Dom, and I'd like to see him stick around, but I doubt the show can hold onto Scott Bakula long term.

I can't stand Agustin. I don't find him attractive at all, just because he's not my type. I also don't feel like he's always got his friends' best interests at heart. We saw this in the last episode when he was completely being a prick about Richie. Richie is 5x more mature than Agustin seems to be, but I think Agustin may grow some after the inevitable crash and burn his relationship with Frank is obviously coming to.

I don't really have any strong feelings about Frank. Being attached to Agustin, he seems a little superficial to me compared to the others, but that's probably just my dislike of Agustin clouding my judgement of him. It feels so obvious that he and Agustin are heading towards a split that I haven't tried investing anything in his character, because he feels so temporary. Unfortunately, I feel like the writers are ignoring his development for the same reasons.

I do like Doris, and I would also like to see more from her. I don't feel like I know anything about her yet, but her humor is enjoyable, and she seems like a great friend to Dom. I hope she gets some deeper involvement in the storylines in season 2.

Overall, I'm loving this show, and I really, really hope we get another season of it!
More+
Flag
Feb 22, 2014
i am truly enjoying looking, i was surpised to be honest, i didn't expected to like it so much, a lot of it has to do with Jonathan Groff's performance, he has me grinning from ear to ear in every scene
Flag
Feb 22, 2014
Your assessment of Dom's character is immature.
What's wrong with wanting only one night stands, whether or not one has done the relationship "thing" as you so keenly put it.
This attitude is typical of someone who knows nothing about 1) men and 2) gay men -- no matter how many friends you will claim to have, you know nothing about us. Never will.
Flag
Feb 24, 2014
completely agree!!
Flag
Staff
Feb 24, 2014
I'm not judging at all! Just trying to accurately describe the characters as I'm seeing them. Meant no offense. Patricks clearly wants a boyfriend, and has said so. Dom clearly wants one night stands, and has said so. Now he's faced with potential boyfriend material & I'm interested to see how it goes! I like the juxtaposition there between Patrick & Dom.
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Personally as a 20+ year San Francisco resident that embraces the Castro and gay community, I find this show to be insulting, trite and down right out of touch with the contemporary gay male. Out of the hundreds of people that I know that live in the neighborhood only a small percentage of them are represented in any way shape or form in this show. So yeah, NONE of them are likeable or memorable.
Flag
Feb 22, 2014
Simple. It stereotypes just like Will and Grace, Modern Family and Queer As Folk. The opening scene of the show was presented to all the world as gays having cheap, shallow anonymous public sex then throw inconstant empty blathering about bars, alcohol and partying. Empty stereotyping. Doesn't the community have enough bad representation out there that we don't need another show made by unknowledgeable suits telling us and the world how WE are. So yes, insulting.
Flag
Staff
Feb 21, 2014
I have a feeling that over time they'll continue to add more characters and types of characters. Not every show can portray every type of person in the world! But I do think this group of friends are very believeable!
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Can you explain why you find the show insulting?

I don't know how is the gay life in SF but I find the characters genuine and I think a lot of gays can relate to them and their stories wherever they are. It's a good thing the writers don't make the show too Castro-related and make it universal.
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Patrick and Dom are my faces. Don't really like Agustin at all, might have some potential down the road but right now ehhh. The boyfriends (Richie & Frank) are OK and I really like Doris. More Doris lol
Flag
Staff
Feb 20, 2014
Patrick, Patrick, Patrick. Though that's probably born out of my long-standing love affair with Jonathan Groff. I am also mildly obsessed with Russell Tovey's Kevin, even though he's just a recurring guest-star.
Flag
Feb 20, 2014
Doris is the best for me. Her lines are awesome and she's the sarcastic one.
Flag
Staff
Feb 20, 2014
Yeah, I hope they flesh her out more in upcoming episodes. She seems awesome!
Flag
Feb 20, 2014
Patrick is such a likable protagonist, while he is naïve, only in the sense that he tends to talk before thinking and seems to get into a lot of difficult situations because of it (which can make him come across as careless, like during his first hook-up with Richie). But other than that, a really great lead.

I find your description of Dom a bit harsh @jessicakroeber, although it is mostly true. He's just so relatable in the sense that he's a middle-aged man and has nothing to show for himself, which may or may not be his own fault, but I definitely feel for his situation. On the romance side of things I honestly don't think he's looking for a meaningful relationship, which is a perfectly fine lifestyle for someone to choose, even if it does come across as immature.

I don't like Agustin, and unfortunately I think there's little the series can do to change that. As this stage he just seems like a person who's never content with what they've got and lives very much for the moment and often throws caution to the wind, which would be admirable if he weren't just following his whims. I can't see his and Frank's relationship lasting much longer.

interesting point/ idea on whether or not the writers will keep Richie and Frank around if and when they break up with their respective partners. I'd just assumed the series would have a revolving door of secondary characters that would play the 'significant other' roles as they do in most shows, but it would definitely be cool if the writers keep them around even after the dissolution of their relationships, should that occur.

Doris does feel like a very token woman character at this point unfortunately. I hope they didn't think they had to have a main female cast member. I'm very interested to learn the backstory between her and Dom though, they used to be married if I'm not mistaken? I did I completely misinterpret something?
More+
Flag
Staff
Feb 20, 2014
Yeah, I'm not really passing any judgement on Dom, but I am trying to call it like I see it. I think he's at a different place in his life for sure. I do think he was married to Doris at one time. I'm also hoping to learn more about him!

I'm not sure yet if the love interests are going to be a revolving door or if some will stick around. I've seen shows where love interests become regulars even after breakups but who knows! I'm excited to see what happens!
Flag
Feb 20, 2014
richie is adorable! true, he is not the prettiest but he has so much charme!

i really don`t like augustin. at all! i adore his boyfriend, though.

Flag
Staff
Feb 20, 2014
Yeah Frank seems so nice! I hope we get to know him better in upcoming episodes.
Flag
Feb 19, 2014
I don't get the fuss for Richie. I watch this show with my boyfriend, we're both mexicans, and we hate that he's considered a hot mexican. He's pretty ugly for our taste. They could have done better casting wise.
Flag
Feb 24, 2014
I agree, for us Latinos he isn't the best casting choice
but I guess they wanted to continue with the stereotypes and show a very "chacalero" look...
Flag
Feb 25, 2014
I am Brazilian and I can't understand why people consider Brazilians so hot. I see them everyday and I got used to them. Probably that's the same for you guys. I have a hard time finding a Mexicans good looking, and I do find Richie cute. Btw I read the actor is not of Mexican descent but of Puerto Rican.
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Someone with charm is more interesting than someone who is only hot. ;)
Flag
Staff
Feb 19, 2014
I have no comments about his looks, but I think his personality is amazing. I just think he's a really genuine person & I like that!
Flag
Mar 01, 2014
I agree. I don't get what the fuss is about Patrick, I don 't think he is good enough for Richie.
I think Richie can do better .
Flag
Feb 19, 2014
He doesn't have to be the hottest Mexican out there to be considered a good casting choice.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members