A Looking Community
HBO (ended 2015)

Things are looking up for Looking, because HBO has officially renewed the Jonathan Groff-fronted freshman dramedy for a second season. The news comes in the wake of Sunday's series-high ratings of 519,000 viewers (not to mention a highlighted spot in our most recent edition FTW vs. WTF). Now, you're probably looking at that number and asking yourself why the network is even bothering to move forward with the series, which looks at the lives and exploits of three gay men in San Francisco. Here's why: When DVR and online streaming numbers are factored in, the series is looking at 2 million viewers a week. Also, Jonathan Groff is a national treasure. 

But that's not the only good news Looking received today! According to TV Line, three cast members who've appeared as guest stars in Season 1 have been promoted to series regulars for Season 2. Lauren Weedman, who plays Dom’s best friend and roommate Doris, Raúl Castillo, who plays Patrick’s new boyfriend Richie, and Russell Tovey, who plays Patrick’s charming boss Kevin, will all be back full-time next season. Does this mean we're looking at a potential Richie-Patrick-Kevin love triangle? Because I would totally support that.

Anyway, I'd also be remiss if I didn't point out that Looking is now renewed for Season 2, and True Detective is not. The latter is averaging 10.9 million weekly viewers. What is HBO waiting for (other than to maybe find a new director)?

Are you excited for another season of Looking?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/22/2015

Season 2 : Episode 10

35 Comments
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Soy argento (de Argentina) y esta página, que el original es en inglés, el traductor de mi PC lo hace textualmente y no literalmente. Ésto hace que los comentarios a veces son irrisorios porque no dicen lo que realmente quieren decir. Pero igual entiendo lo que pretenden decir. En cuanto a "Looking" ansioso espero la segunda temporada. Sobre todo la vida de Patrick, que es la que más condimentos tiene y más si ya se prevee un triángulo amoroso Patrick-Richie-Kevin. En cuanto a Agustín, no es un personaje negativo, sino que es un personaje frustrado, que es lo que lo lleva a ser negativo. Es como un león enjaulado que se enoja con todos y consigo mismo porque no sabe cómo salir de la jaula. Me encanta este personaje. En cuanto a Dom, es el más conformista de los tres, pero su cumpleaños 40 hizo prender la mecha de la rebelión y ya no se conforma con ser camarero. Y por última, cómo me gustaría que Wentworth Miller tuviera un personaje en esta serie!!!! Saludos a todos
Flag
I read this and made a genuine fist pump... I have never done that before in my entire life, but I get it now.
Flag
Yah boo sucks! to all the early naysayers. If you'd seen the film Weekend you'd know there was something special being produced.
Flag
I like the show but I am kinda pissed that the character Frank will not be a series regular, he is my favorite.
Flag
So happy about this. I know peeps complained about it being slow and boring. I didn't see it that way at all. I kind of like the slow reveal. Like peeling back an onion, layer by layer, until we get to the gooey caramel center and, okay, I'll stop with that analogy because an onion caramel candy is just wrong. But you get my meaning...

I like these guys... even when they're being totally upside down asses making a mess of their lives. Black and white is boring... I'll take grey any time... so much more interesting to watch them slowly implode or blossom into something truly breathtaking.
Flag
I'm thrilled this is renewed! :) I was skeptical of the show after the pilot, but it quickly started inching its way up my most-anticapted-shows-of-the-week list with every episode aired. Now, it's definitely in my top 3, and I'm so happy I can look forward to anticipating the season 2 premiere!
Flag
nice news, but hopefully they do something different...the show is a bit slow...i wouldn't mind if things went a bit faster...

But i have to say the boss of Kevin....damn he is really really hot...!
Flag
Awesome news, was a little worried considering the way HBO has treated some of its more recent freshman comedies that it wouldn't have been renewed.
Flag
I demand more Russell Tovey in season 2!!
Flag
With his promotion to regular I'm sure you'll be pleased :)
Flag
That is great for Looking. I am still wait for True Detective.
Flag
Considering the numbers and the critical reception there are no risks whatsoever for True Detective, no need to worry
Flag
I'm excited the show is coming back and I really hope the revamp it for Season 2 and take some time to really think about the characters and decide what kind of show they want to be. I feel like it has so much potential but it just hasn't found its stride yet.
Flag
This is great! I was beginning to worry about being overly invested, but it seems I'll get away with it.

And boy do I love Richie.
Flag
I do like the show but there's plenty I'd change about it.

Considering that Patrick, Dom and Agustin are supposed to be friends, there seems to be very little linking them and their lives together and there's little sense of history between them.

Augustin in particular seems to be out in his own self-obsessed little world. I find him very annoying and I wouldn't mind it at all if he fell under a tram and his lovely doting boyfriend found someone better.

Dom is an interesting character but he's out-done on the show by the fantastic Scott Bakula as Lynn. He really shows Dom up. AND DITCH THE AWFUL MOUSTACHE, DOM!!

Patrick gets the most compelling storylines by far and that's the most enjoyable part of the show. The episode with just him and Richie was wonderful.

Finally, more Russell Tovey. He's great. Seems I'll be getting my wish on that front at least.
Flag
While I agree about Agustin (he's the worst character of the three) I disagree about the lack of history between the characters. When Agustin moved out in the second episode and him and Patrick said their goodbyes I felt there was really great chemistry (signifying their long relationship) in the scene.

I think the series will slowly divulge more information about the core trio and their relationship with one another, but for now it seems comfortable focusing on the individual characters, and allowing each to develop on their own, which is fine with me too (not all friends are with each other all the time).
Flag
Staff
More Russell Tovey is always, always a good thing, in my opinion. I'm very excited he'll be around in Season 2.
Flag
Good news, this show is VERY GRADUALLY winning me over. Maybe I'll be really into it by the end of the season.
Flag
Yay!! Best news today :)
Flag
Super happy.
The show is slowly finding it's footing and it's getting better every week.
And I would never say no to more Jonathan Groff on my TV.
Flag
yes!
is scott bakula a regular? i really like his character.
Flag
Staff
I really like his character, too. But unfortunately Bakula is not a series regular.
Flag
hmpf.

thanks!
Flag
Well, I'm excited! (No one is shocked)
Flag
I prefer this to Girls, and with True Blood and The Newsroom ending HBO is probably looking to keep something going.
Flag
this show got awful reviews, but looks like hbo dont give a damn
Flag
Staff
As everyone below me has already said, it's more that the show had poor ratings, not poor reviews. In fact, I gave it a very good review back in January!
Flag
I think reviews were generally good but ratings are lacking... though at HBO that seems to be a lesser concern than say at a network...
Flag
Yes, ratings are soft, but not abysmal (I mean, not Enlightened-like abysmal). And HBO likes to support niche shows praised by critics and liked by those who watch them (because Looking not only has good reviews but it is also well considered by its public).

Also, it shows signs of episode-by-episode growth -that is, interest- and HBO likes that too.
Flag
what are you saying? It got very good reviews.
Flag
I can't say a dramedy that follows the lives of three single people as they go through their laughs, loves, and heartbreaks is a terribly appealing premise. Whether you're talking three gay men, straight men, straight or gay women, hell married men or women too...it's all ultimately the same sort of show to me. So no, I'm not excited, as this will continue to be another non-entity to me.
Flag
That was also my first thought when I heard about this show. Sure I am all for displaying normality rather than cliche/stereotypical characters of a certain gender/ethnicity/sexual orientation etc. but how is that a compelling premise for a show? Just because a show is about say women (traditionally underrepresented on TV offending my feminist tendencies), I do not feel more inclined to watch it unless the premise is interesting/compelliong in its own right.
Flag
You do know that the premise of what most consider to be the best sitcom of all time is 'about nothing' don't you?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members