Loonatics Unleashed

Family Business

Aired Saturday 12:00 AM Nov 11, 2006 on The CW

• Rev helps out with the family business. Tech helps Rev help out. Classic road-runner & coyote antics ensue. Meanwhile, Rev's jealous younger brother Rip gets himself possessed by an alien parasite that draws out his "darker emotions"...

As a long-time Looney Tunes fan, I must admit that I found the concept of this show utterly atrocious and was very disappointed in Warner Bros for coming up with something as, well, lame as "Loonatics Unleashed." So it says A LOT for this episode that I'm giving it a full-blown ten. :) Rev Runner and Tech E. Coyote are the only characters in the entire Loonatics group who get away with allusions to their "ancestors" (unlike Ace and his "What's up, doc," which makes me want to bury my face in my hands and weep every time he does it). Far from being screamingly unfunny (Ace, again), every Road-runner & Coyote reference in here is hilarious, from Ma and Pa Runner's "coyote issues" to Tech constantly falling off the cliff because of something Rev does. Even more impressive, this episode does something that many of these action-comedy cartoons neglect, and that is character development. This is an episode full of discussions on relationships: first, there's the greater focus on Tech & Rev's (extremely hilarious, IMO) friendship (did anyone else notice Tech wiping sweat off Rev's forehead when they were both working on the Robo Amigo? That was kind of astonishingly cute); second, there's Rev's relationship to his parents (he seems very fond of and yet embarrassed by them at the same time); third, there's the younger brother Rip, who feels overshadowed by Rev and ignored by his father (a guy who needs to learn how to be a better parent). "Family Business" isn't exactly subtle, *particularly* with regards to Rip, but it's so rare to have an episode dealing almost entirely with relationships that I felt it was worth noting. This focus also adds a rather cute element to the humor as you watch Rev try to make everyone happy (or at least less insulted, on Tech's part), begging here, fast-talking there, and in general making me want to give him a hug. :p It's very telling of Rev's personality, and it's always gratifying to know more about a character after finishing an episode. The writers have got something here. If they can consistently do what they did in "Family Business," which is 1. successfully bring back some of the original Looney Tune humor so that it FITS in the framework of the new show (instead of just having them randomly throw out famous catch-phrases for no reason), and 2. give the characters personality, Loonatics Unleashed may actually turn out to be decent. I personally think that the Rev-and-Tech scenes are the highlights of the entire show: it was a somewhat daring move for the writers to turn them into buddies instead of mortal enemies, but look how great it turned out. (Compare with Ace, who seems to be struggling between a fledgling personality of his own and the spectre of Bugs Bunny, and consequently fails at being either. He particularly fails at emulating Bugs--it's so painful to watch him try Bugs' tricks.@_@) Now we have two characters who can stand on their own, out of the shadows of their predecessors, and they have a dynamic that is much livelier than anyone else's (though Duck does a fine job being funny with almost everyone except Ace & Lexi). Plus--added bonus--both of them are SMART. So nice to have 2 smart characters instead of the usual 1. And even nicer is the fact that their "smart" conversations aren't blindingly asinine like other kids' cartoons (for example in TMNT2k3, to show that Donatello is smart, they had him talk about T. rexes while the other 3 turtles are like, "What's a T. rex?" What kind of a little kid nowadays doesn't know what a T. rex is, I ask you??); in contrast, Rev once goes on a spiel about the difference between porpoises & dolphins, a factoid I doubt even some adults know, and another time he rambles about the history of the number "googel," which, while hardly obscure, is at least not as ubiquitious as a T. rex.

So with the two strongest characters in the group to work with, no wonder "Family Business" turned out so well. Now do this with the other folks, Warner Bros.
  • This is the best loonatics episode scince the cloke of the black velvet.Getting to see Revs famlily, wacthing tech falling off the clif

This is the best loonatics episode scince the cloke of the black velvet.Getting to see Revs famlily, wacthing tech falling off the clif,this eps is just so funny too.i really liked it when Rip got taken over by the Bio-brain parsite and the loonatics had to stop him.Epiosdes like these are what make this show so appeling to every fan.How I hope in the future that we see more of the other loonatics relatives,now that would be awsome,lets just hope that this show has many more great episodes like this one because trust me its going to need some soon.
  • Rev's family comes for a visit, and his bro Rip is at the mercy of a parasite that forces dark desires on him, like his jealousy over Rev and his greatness.

I think this is a very good episode. Rev showed a lot of character here. His family is in the inventing business. They also showed issues toward coyotes when they saw Tech. Tech showed that despite any issues they have with each other, they are best friends since Tech helped Rev when he needed help. Rev was a great brother because he rescued his brother from a parasite that makes him think angry thoughts. His dad is another story. He played favorites without knowing. Still, this was a very good ep that reveals more about Rev. Good show, Kids WB!