Loonatics Unleashed Forums

The CW (ended 2007)

What do you want to see in season 3?

StellaMagic

[1]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 18

If the Loonatics have a third season, what do you hope it will have? Here's what I hope:

-How the Loonatics became a team

-More of Tech's past, especially of his relationship with Mallory

-more appearances from the S1 and S2 villains

-More family members of the Loonatics (Family Business)

-New human ally.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

-Silverstar-

[2]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    StellaMagic wrote:

Here's what I hope:

Why not? As long as it's done well, and not cheesy.

:

Pass. I neither need nor want to see any of that. Someone still has to convince me that there's any romantic feelings between Tech and Mallory, 'cause I just don't see it. They were colleagues at one time, then Mallory went evil and became Mastermind; that's really all there is to it.

:

Perhaps, but that's not really that important to me. The Loonatics could never face a single recurring nemesis as far as I'm concerned, provided the villains that they did square off against were formidable and made for action-packed, compelling stories.

:

I don't need to see that either. "Family Business" was an OK episode, but no need to get frisky. The show's not about the Loonatics' families, after all. Too much domestic stuff would take away from the superhero premise, which would be a bad thing.

:

-New human ally.

Honestly, I don't see that adding anything. They already have to toggle between 6 team members, plus they already Zadavia as an ally; having any additional characters beyond those 7 would create too much of a mess in terms of giving each one of them equal screen time; any more heroes/allies would simply be overkill. I only believe in adding new characters when it's artistically vaild; it becomes a cheap marketing ploy when you just stick in another character for the sake of their being there. I've never agreed with change for change's sake alone. Why add new allies to the team when there's already a tug-of-war for screentime going on between the characters they have now?

Myself, I'd like to see:

-More of the Guardian Strike Sword, especially delving further into its' mysteries and origins, and having Ace occasionally struggle with mastering it and unlocking its' secrets. Which brings me to my next item...

-I'd like to see Ace fleshed out a little more. Give him some flaws and quirks and not just portray him as the all-too-capable Mr. Perfect Hero. Ace desperately needs to become more relatable.

-Less Duck-centered episodes. Danger got far too much attention in season 2. Give the others a chance to shine.

-I'd like to see Tech start using his powers again. His inventions are great, but he does have superpowers, so he might as well use them.

-Give Rev, Lexi and Slam more to do. Their roles in this past season have been pretty light overall.

-More action-themed stories and less cameos by Looney Tunes descendant characters. It's an OK novelty, but they should put space between the cameos or else it just gets old. Let Loonatics stand on it's own merits rather than going crazy with the guest stars.
    Edited on 03/01/2007 9:19am
    Edited 2 total times.

Skifox

[3]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    StellaMagic wrote:

If the Loonatics have a third season, what do you hope it will have? Here's what I hope:

-New human ally.

More backstory in general would be welcome, for the team as a whole as well as for the individual members. The writers just need to be careful to craft a good, solid history, not one that seems thrown together just so they can say they did one.

While the "Tech's past" part goes with what I just said, I still see no basis for concluding that he ever had any romantic involvement Mallory. The only "evidence" I've ever seen cited is the fact that they shared a locker, which is hardly indicative of anything. They could have been assigned together, or even if they chose that arrangement, being colleagues and friends makes that perfectly normal. Think about it - does sharing a locker seem particularly romantic? No, it doesn't. On top of all that, ex-flame comme supervillain adversary sounds like something out of an anime space opera, and that's not the kind of vibe LU needs to send out.

I'd like to see a few more recurring villains, too. Several have clearly had return potential, and trying to come up with a new villain for every episode is a lot harder than coming up with a few new villains and some new schemes for the old ones. Hopefully, occational repeats could lead to a higher quality of writing overall.

In the context of providing backstory, family is fine, but beyond that it would distract from the main focus of the show, i.e. the Loonatics themselves and whatever crisis they're dealing with at the moment. The family angle worked really well in "The Family Business" because it was directly involved with the main plot, but that's not a premise that can be recycled for another character.

Exactly what point would would another human ally serve? Are you speculating that Zadavia may be leaving permanently at the end of Season 2? If Zadavia stays, then a new ally would just be redundant, and if she goes, why would she need to be replaced? It's been made clear this season that the Loonatics can function just fine without her help or supervision, and with the six team members already fighting for their fair shares of screen time, one less character would probably be beneficial.

I think Silverstar covered the things I'd like to see pretty thoroughly, so I won't waste time repeating them. The one thing I'd like to add is better villains. Not to say they've done badly in that area so far, but every now and then there needs to be a really sinister adversary, someone with truly dark motivations who puts the planet or the city or the Loonatics themselves in genuine peril.
    Edited on 03/01/2007 10:05am

-Blackstar-

[4]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    StellaMagic wrote:

Sure, as long as it was done well and not rushed. It could either be done as a single episode, or as a 60 minute "featurette".

:

Why would we need to see that? They were just colleagues at the University, nothing more. I don't get why you persist in thinking that Tech and Mallory are/were lovers. And even if they were/are involved (which I doubt), the thought of those 2 characters "knocking boots" is a gross-out of the highest order! Certainly nothing that I'd want to see.

:

More so the S1 villains than the S2 ones. Fans would feel ripped off if season 3 was nothing more than a rehash of season 2. Personally, I wouldn't have the season 2 villains resurface until season 4, if there is one.

:

Only if their being shown served a creative and artistic purpose and wasn't just showing them for the sake of showing them. The "Family Business" formula worked once, but it wouldn't be interesting over and over again.

:
    -New human ally.
    I'm with my bro and Skifox. Unless this new human would be a replacement for Zadavia, I don't see the need for such a character. Honestly, I think that the shows' writers need to do a better job of juggling screentime between the 6 Loonatics that they have now before they bring in any new people.

As for what I would like to see, much of it was already covered by Silverstar and Skifox. Basically, I'd like to see more action oriented story lines, less "guest-LT-descendant-of-the-week" plots, Ace becoming more "human" and less "larger-than-life", Lexi, Rev and Slam getting more attention, and some of the emphasis taken off of Duck for a while.
    Edited on 03/01/2007 10:58am

Skifox

[5]Mar 1, 2007
    -Blackstar- wrote:
    ...the thought of those 2 characters "knocking boots" is a gross-out of the highest order! Certainly nothing that I'd want to see.

That made me think of something else, stemming from the fact that humans and anthros... Um, no. Anthro characters need to stick to other anthros for romantic partners, which leads to my point - where are the other animals in society? Surely the Loonatics and other LT descendants (and their families, of course) aren't the only ones. When we see just people, in a crowd or on the street or the like, the animators need to put random anthros in the group. Otherwise, the Loonatics' very existence doesn't make much sense.

SuperFreak5000

[6]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 3

AFAIK, humans and anthros had romantic relations in the early days of cartoons including MM/LT. Matter-of-fact, I recently saw The Daffy Buckaroo. I found it hilarious but I'll warn you that it isn't the most politically correct of cartoons. Anyways, the human Indian chief's wife was an anthro duck.

As far as the viewing public is concerned, the public at large seemed accepting of the relationship of Roger and Jessica Rabbit. There didn't seem to be any public outcry against such a fantasy union. Somehow, I don't envision a huge change in the public's sensibilities towards cartoon human/anthro relationships since the late 80s. AFAIK, I haven't read nor heard about complaints with Family Guy's Brian having relations with human women. I don't believe there'll be protests if (and I mean a big if) a human/anthro romance happens on LU.

So, if there are humanoid/anthro romances in the world of Acmetropolis, it shouldn't be anything groundbreaking or shocking. So far on the show, it seems that the two groups intermingle without clashing and there has been acknowledgement of attraction between the groups. (Pierre Le Pew admiring Lexi, Black Velvet's crush on Tech, the male Loonatics acknowledging Black Velvet's attributes, Duck's crush on Misty Breeze....)  

AFAIC, if there's romantic segregation now between humanoids and anthros in the world of Acmetropolis, it would be a step backwards concerning [cartoon] socio-political ideologies.  I would like to believe that the respective groups view each other as equals in all matters.

What I would like for the third season?

Well, so far I'm enjoying the formula of the 2nd season; so in the vein of the 2nd season I would like to see:

More of the friendships between the Loonatics. Lexi/Duck and Tech/Rev are my favorite friendships but I would enjoy seeing other friendship dynamics.

More character developments and background stories.

The amalgamation of comedy, drama and action.

The complexity of story quality seen in season 2; sensible plots that go beyond simple black and white situations.

The intro changed to showcase Duck's daffy side while still being able to show competency. One thing that I like about the 2nd season's intro is that it isn't generic like the 1st season's intro. The lyrics are good because it adequately explains the show and the characters. But overall the 2nd season's intro seriously needs to be re-mixed to a fuller sound and better pacing.

Edited on 03/01/2007 10:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Skifox

[7]Mar 2, 2007
    I was just expressing an opinion there. There are times when a human anthro/pairing is... tolerable, namely when it serves a specific comedic purpose, as it often did in old shorts. The same applies to Roger and Jessica. I mean, how ridiculous is it that a babe like Jessica would fall for an awkward, goofball rabbit? It's funny, so it works. Another thing - humans in those cases are highly stylized. The people in LU are treated much more realistically, so that's a factor as well. As for Family Guy, the whole point of that show is to do and say things to offend one's sensibilities for comedic effect. People who watch that show aren't likely to squawk about anything the writers decide to do.

Attraction is perfectly fine in my book, but that's the limit. I find a lot of people attractive that I simply should not and will not pursue. The same thing applies to most everyone, including characters in the LU universe.

Either way, the idea of Tech and Mallory even flirting turns my stomach, to say nothing of romantic involvement.

SuperFreak5000 wrote:
    The intro changed to showcase Duck's daffy side while still being able to show competency. One thing that I like about the 2nd season's intro is that it isn't generic like the 1st season's intro. The lyrics are good because it adequately explains the show and the characters. But overall the 2nd season's intro seriously needs to be re-mixed to a fuller sound and better pacing.

There are things I like better about the second intro sequence, but the music is not one of them. I think the lyrics are cheesy, especially some of the earlier lines, though it's better than that monologue they had for season one. The music itself lacks harmonic and rhythmic depth, has no clear melodic line, and has too many dead spots (which goes with your fullness and pacing points). It needs to balance the characters better, too. Ace gets twice as much time as anyone else, and you don't even see poor Rev's entire self at any point. I think the music from the first season without the chaotic, disjointed visuals would be a good starting point.

WCBSFMTALRG

[8]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 4
    Ace and Lexi romance and how they meet before becoming a team.

-Silverstar-

[9]Mar 2, 2007
    WCBSFMTALRG wrote:

Though I'm not a die-hard shipper for this couple, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with some Ace/Lexi moments, provided that they weren't overdone. As long as the romantic stuff didn't get in the way of the action/superhero stuff, I wouldn't complain.

I've already stated my opinion on a "how they met" story, so there's no need to repeat myself.

Crossfire_7

[10]Mar 2, 2007
    Hmmm, something just struck me: If Ace and Lexi did get together before the end of the show (a good deal of time at that), what if they could take a similar direction as what Disney did with Kim and Ron? As in, they openly admit being BF and GF, yet much of their old relation remains intact (like Kim still gets impatient with Ron`s antics)?

Black_Oracle

[11]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    Skifox makes a good point about attraction between humans and anthros being better for comedic effects, but not in a serious context. Mastermind and Tech romantically involved i find unappealing as well; Mastermind's (as quoted from a site) 'an embittered academic rival of Tech's', they're enemies, that's all i really see to their relationship.

As a few of you have been saying, I definitely think the most important thing for a 3rd season is better and solid writing of the episode plots. Keep the focus on the action-adventure theme mixed with some in-depth character development and revelations. A balance between learning more about our heroes (and some villains) on the inside/psychologically and impressive action sequences. And some more epic, grand-scale arc stories would be great to see as well.

I don't mind seeing the return of some old villains, but that's got to be spaced out with new villains too, and in new story scenarios that aren't too similar to previous ep plots.

I also would like to see other anthros in Acmetropolis. It just doesn't seem right that the Loonatics are the only ones.

Ace i agree could do with being made 'less perfect'. He's still coming across alot as the 'faultless, courageous, unbeatable fighter' leader figure.

Like Silverstar says, Tech needs to start using his powers more again, though not to the complete decrease in his inventive weaponry work. And i would welcome a new challenge for him to provide an opportunity for character growth and developmnent. This second season seems to have stuck Tech in his monitor, inventor and base duties role alot. He needs a chance to deal with a new problem out of his usual familiarity zone.

It would be nice for Slam and Rev to get a little more attention on a regular ep-to-ep basis. Give their characters more of an important role and function to play in plots. Make more creative use of their powers on screen. Actually, more creative use of powers could apply to most of the Loonatics (save Lexi and Duck who both have had new power developments this 2nd season).

And that's all i can think of now.

SuperFreak5000

[12]Mar 5, 2007

I figured it goes without saying that humanoid/anthro romances are considered comedic situations. Just like how male characters in drag (especially when the male in drag is hit upon by other male characters) are utilized for comedic purposes.

Loonatics: Unleashed, does have it's moments of comedy. That's why it wouldn't surprise or horrify me to see a humanoid/anthro romance. IMHO, it's a moot point to be against such a situation. Anthros are nonexistent fantasy creations. It's like not wanting to see donkeys with unicorns. I feel that in the realm of storytelling, the absurdity of humanoid/anthro romance is merely an allusive device to comment upon the odd human couplings in real life.

As for Ace/Lexi romance; eh ... I'm indifferent to it. Other than perhaps the meta-reference to the Bugs/Lola romance in Space Jam, personally I'm not seeing any signs of romance in LU between Ace and Lexi. Sure there was that ham-fisted moment of Lexi fretting over Ace's demise in last season's finale (which I only took to be friendly concern); but since then I haven't seen anything remotely shippy. If a romance suddenly happens between Ace and Lexi in this season's finale, I'll probably be annoyed. There's hasn't been any hints all season long. Personally, I prefer show's to drop hints and to buildup towards a romance instead of suddenly plopping it down out of nowhere. If this show goes into season 3, and if TPTB have been planning on having a Ace/Lexi romance, I feel that the romance should be strongly hinted upon ASAP. From there on, have the audience aware of Ace and Lexi's feelings until the time of the official romantic relationship (most likely at the end of the series).

Crossfire_7

[13]Mar 5, 2007
    SuperFreak5000 wrote:

As for Ace/Lexi romance; eh ... I'm indifferent to it. Other than perhaps the meta-reference to the Bugs/Lola romance in Space Jam, personally I'm not seeing any signs of romance in LU between Ace and Lexi. Sure there was that ham-fisted moment of Lexi fretting over Ace's demise in last season's finale (which I only took to be friendly concern); but since then I haven't seen anything remotely shippy.

At least, not by your criteria. But you`re right, there hasn`t been any real Ace/Lexi hinting aside form us crazy shippers` wild speculation and over-analyzing.

SuperFreak5000 wrote:
    If a romance suddenly happens between Ace and Lexi in this season's finale, I'll probably be annoyed. There's hasn't been any hints all season long. Personally, I prefer show's to drop hints and to buildup towards a romance instead of suddenly plopping it down out of nowhere.

I know what you mean. Give people the satisfaction of seeing couples they were expecting and hoping for finally come to pass, am I right?

SuperFreak5000 wrote:
    If this show goes into season 3, and if TPTB have been planning on having a Ace/Lexi romance, I feel that the romance should be strongly hinted upon ASAP. From there on, have the audience aware of Ace and Lexi's feelings until the time of the official romantic relationship (most likely at the end of the series).

Although it wouldn`t hurt to possibly begin hinting starting with season 2`s finale, you know, to give us something to look forward to developing throughout season 3. Like, maybe a quick little slip of the tongue that the speaker then quickly tries to cover up, wondering themselves why they said that. Or, perhaps one of them gets concerned about the other and begins realizing their feelings, but the other doesn`t appear to return any signs...yet. Whatever they decide to do, so long as they make it work well, it sits well, right?

SuperFreak5000

[14]Mar 5, 2007
    Crossfire_7, I definitely agree with the points you made.

Crossfire_7 wrote:
    SuperFreak5000 wrote:

As for Ace/Lexi romance; eh ... I'm indifferent to it. Other than perhaps the meta-reference to the Bugs/Lola romance in Space Jam, personally I'm not seeing any signs of romance in LU between Ace and Lexi. Sure there was that ham-fisted moment of Lexi fretting over Ace's demise in last season's finale (which I only took to be friendly concern); but since then I haven't seen anything remotely shippy.

At least, not by your criteria. But you`re right, there hasn`t been any real Ace/Lexi hinting aside form us crazy shippers` wild speculation and over-analyzing.

It's really hard to tell if that moment between Lexi and Ace was supposed to be romantic. (*sigh* I miss the days of floating hearts, wagging tongues and a character's heart visibly thumping in their chest to show infatuation. It was so easy to tell when Bugs was interested in a gal.)

So, I figured I would wait to see if that moment was supposed to be taken as romantic by seeing if shippy hints would be dropped in season two. (I've been burned before by first season's so-called shippy hints. Examples: Jack Splicer/Kimiko; Beast Boy/Raven.) So far, the current season hasn't supported that supposed Ace/Lexi shippy moment. I wonder if that means the possibility that [one of the choices]:

(a) TPTB never planned on any romance.

(b) TPTB planned on an Ace/Lexi romance but nixed the idea by season two.

(c) TPTB planned on an Ace/Lexi romance but saved the best moment(s) for last.

Edited on 03/05/2007 8:57pm

robocop001

[15]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 5

WCBSFMTALRG wrote:

I'm sure this has been discussed on other threads, and pardon me if I'm out of the loop, but since Ace descended from Bugs and Lexi descended from Lola wouldn't that logically make them relatives? I mean this is assuming Bugs and Lola got together in the Space Jam movie, which they made more than enough progress on in the end, and it seems to make the most sense on how their "family tree" works.

On the subject of human/anthro love affairs, I really don't see a problem. Dismissing the thought of two characters with possible affairs (I'm not reffering to Tech's said pairings)with each other simply because one has fur, ears, and a tail or a "What would it be like if they were in bed?" fantasy seems rather silly to me. Then again, it's your opinion and not mine. Perhaps I'm just used to it since I read all sorts of interacial and 'intergalactic' relationships in all sorts of Sci-fi literature from Star-Trek, Star Wars, Man-Kzin Wars, Planet of the Apes, you name it. However, as long as the characters like each other or have anything in common, then hey, why not? Sure it may seem rather 'shocking' to some but wouldn't at least be a bit more realistic if the two races mixed instead of just having typical one-sided relationships?

Onto the subject of what I would expect for a possible season 3? As mentioned many times I would like to see better writing, better in-depth for characters, and a AT LEAST a decent theme song. Seriously, the first theme was pretty good, the second, however, is like a broken record. Ironically the guy who sings the song happened to play the villain in last saturday's episode, as a singer of all things. He sings terrible songs and is a villain (or puppet) at the same time, he really is evil.

lordant

[16]Mar 5, 2007
    Can't say, haven't fully seen Season two or even ONE yet lol.

Crossfire_7

[17]Mar 5, 2007
    robocop001 wrote:

I'm sure this has been discussed on other threads, and pardon me if I'm out of the loop, but since Ace descended from Bugs and Lexi descended from Lola wouldn't that logically make them relatives? I mean this is assuming Bugs and Lola got together in the Space Jam movie, which they made more than enough progress on in the end, and it seems to make the most sense on how their "family tree" works.

Aye aye aye, here we go again. Again, I must point out that even if they had a common ancestor or two, there`s nothing saying that they are closely related to any extent. Why, their ancestors could`ve split FT-wise after Bugs/Lola, giving each rabbit different grandparents, different great grandparents, great great grandparents and so on. They could be as many as 11 or 12 generations apart, by which time they might as well be unrelated people.

They could be siblings, or very distant cousins, the problem is that WB hasn`t given the official word one way or another (and driven just about everyone here absolutely nuts as a result). Most of us prefer to think of them as very distant cousins at the least, until we are told otherwise (which, if they are actually unrelated, might break a few shippers` hearts, but not mine, since IMO the prospective Ace/Lexi romance is far more interesting than Bugs/Lola ever was, although it`d be nice if Bugs and Lola did get together).

Crossfire_7

[18]Mar 5, 2007

SuperFreak5000 wrote:
    So far, the current season hasn't supported that supposed Ace/Lexi shippy moment. I wonder if that means the possibility that [one of the choices]:

(a) TPTB never planned on any romance.

*stops breathing*

SuperFreak5000 wrote:
    (b) TPTB planned on an Ace/Lexi romance but nixed the idea by season two.
    *faints*

SuperFreak5000 wrote:
    (c) TPTB planned on an Ace/Lexi romance but saved the best moment(s) for last.
    *reawakens with big grin*

Annabees

[19]Mar 6, 2007

It's really hard to tell if that moment between Lexi and Ace was supposed to be romantic. (*sigh* I miss the days of floating hearts, wagging tongues and a character's heart visibly thumping in their chest to show infatuation. It was so easy to tell when Bugs was interested in a gal.)

(laughs) I wish we had that in real life.  Oh, if I had some easy-to-read, clear shipper hints whenever I wanted to find out if a guy liked me or not.   

I didn't have any trouble believing the scene was romantic in nature.  For example, did you see the way Ace grinned?  I've seen a man grin like that before.  And that's usually I sign I should leave the room and give my parents some private "Hey, I-haven't-seen-you-all-day" hugging time. 

-Silverstar-

[20]Mar 6, 2007
    robocop001 wrote:
    On the subject of human/anthro love affairs, I really don't see a problem. Dismissing the thought of two characters with possible affairs (I'm not reffering to Tech's said pairings)with each other simply because one has fur, ears, and a tail or a "What would it be like if they were in bed?" fantasy seems rather silly to me. Then again, it's your opinion and not mine. Perhaps I'm just used to it since I read all sorts of interacial and 'intergalactic' relationships in all sorts of Sci-fi literature from Star-Trek, Star Wars, Man-Kzin Wars, Planet of the Apes, you name it. However, as long as the characters like each other or have anything in common, then hey, why not? Sure it may seem rather 'shocking' to some but wouldn't at least be a bit more realistic if the two races mixed instead of just having typical one-sided relationships?

I don't dismiss the Tech/Mastermind coupling because one's an anthro and one's a human; I don't buy it because there's no solid evidence to support it. The ONLY thing which could possibly be construed as a hint is that Tech and Mallory shared a locker in college. That's it. Is that automatically a sign that love is in the air? Hardly; I know plenty of buddies in school who've shared lockers, and not any of them have gone on to find their thrills on Blueberry Hill. Sharing a locker isn't an indication of anything. Besides that, heroes dating villains isn't something which happens on kids' shows; it's seems more suited for anime or something. Finally, it seems to me that the animators went out of their way to make Mallory unattractive, what with her colossal noggin and all. Do you really think that they planned for someone who looks like that to be Tech's dreamgirl? Would you actually want to see those two get intimate and freaky-deaky?? I rest my case.
    Edited on 03/06/2007 6:28am