A Lost Girl Community
Showcase (ended 2015)
Okay. Let me breathe for a second and relax, because there's NO WAY I just saw what I just saw. If there's one thing I hate is having a show treat me like I'm mentally challenged and keep repeating the obvious throughout an episode. I felt that was exactly what happened here in "Dark Horse".

But let's start from the beginning.

This episode begins with Bo and Rainer arguing about his former warrior turning out to be a crazy lady, and him swearing he didn't know a thing about her swapping sides. And HERE's where I begin to say "No-No". This whole dialogue felt forced, we're still TOLD how much they love each other, without seeing much of this love. Bo, naturally, goes to her grandfather for explanations.

Another bit of "I want to be heartfelt, but really I'm sappy" dialogue where we learn that Bo is to be the Dark Queen and bring about the apocalypse. She's called The Chosen One, and if you recall, she's been called thus since Season One, so bravo (?) for finally telling us what that was all about. We were shown a non-realistic scene where Rainer and Trick had a word-off about Bo's future safety and she was all, "We're gonna be fine." RIIIIIGHT.

Then came Massimo, crazy as ever. I mean, is it just me, or was he much more menacing as the Dark Druid from previous seasons? I get that the writers would want to give him a substancial backstory (this is my future career, writing scripts, so I know a bit about this), but to make him a childish mamma's boy was an overkill. Or rather, his monologues were. I just wanted to put some tape over his mouth and kill him already. (Thanks Bo!) Massimo had Lauren and of course Bo would do everything to get her back.

Next... a scene where Kenzi's at Evony's? I mean, SERIOUSLY. How did she get to be there? If there is one thing I rescue out of the whole mess that was Season Four, is Ksenia Solo. GIVE THE GIRL SOME GOLD STAR PLZ. She slapped the heck out of Evony when she learned that she was Massimo's mamma, and THIS was when the episode started looking better for me.

Dyson swore his fealty to the Queen, blah blah... was that REALLY necessary? She's not Queen of anything yet.

Tamsin, on the other hand, I care very deeply about. She was in this episode what she had been before, so YAY. Brooding over her love for the succubus, no doubt, she spent the majority of the episode trying to save Bo and Kenzi. When asked to translate some ancient Norse text, being the Valkyrie that she is, we learnt more about what would be necessary to stop Bo's daddy from coming forth.

Here's what I loved about this: the fact that Kenzi's become an integral part of this show, and that she certainly has been handling the reins of it for some time. She started thinking about what she could do to help, and was true to the evolution of her character like no other.

In the Dark Horse HQ (where were all the crazy pony ladies?), Bo sucks the chi out of three zombies. And she gets Dark-y, whatever, and Dyson "brings her back" by kissing her. SO TERRIBLE. I couldn't help but roll my eyes repeatedly at this and wait for it to pass. Not that I have anything against the pairing...but the dialogue! UGH. Then, Bo gets Dyson to swear he's keep everything in check while she goes to save Lauren. AAAAAND another facepalm. Rainer made Bo shed no tear. NOT ONE. And he was supposed to be her true love. I do not approve of the way this was handled. Very poor writing; character development was almost null... Anyway.

I also feel like the writers started an arc with Massimo being introduced before, but that it got SO out of hand that they had to wrap it up as messily as they did here. I saw no point in this plot being so long as it was. It took up nearly half the episode and amounted to nothing. The Origin Seed was lost (why the heck go to all that trouble to get it in the first place?), Massimo died at the hands of the wrong person, because WE KNOW it should have been Kenzi who killed him, and all for what? Nothing that I can think of. I really hope I'm wrong here, and that some of this storyline will not be lost for good, because if it is, then Showcase you better get a new team of writers, because this season was one to forget.

Lauren is saved (DUH) and Bo runs back to help her friends fight off the zombies pouring out of her dad's portal.

In a brilliantly performed sequence, we learn that Kenzi's ACTUALLY HAD A PURPOSE ALL ALONG. She's to save everything -I mean THE WORLD- by sacrificing herself as she is Bo's heart. *cue pouring tears* I love this girl SO MUCH. She's single-handedly the reason I stuck with Season Four. Her acting is superb!

And here I do congratulate the writers. Making Kenzi Bo's Heart was tremendously heartbreaking. And true. Bo may bounce from lover to lover, but her unwavering love for her sister knows no bounds. Bo running to get her, Dyson stopping her to let Kenzi fulfill her destiny... it was the highlight of the episode. Nay, of the SEASON.

Where are those who still can't see Dyson/Kenzi being a possibility? I dare you to tell me he does not love her like more than a friend.

Kenzi walks deliberately into the mouth of Hell in a beautiful scene, and by this point I'm thinking, "If Kenzi's dead for good, I'm giving this show up right now." BUT. She made it very clear to Dyson that she's hoping to be rescued from Valhalla from Tamsin or Bo, since her dying in battle means she can be taken there as a warrior. GO KENZI.

We see Tamsin unfolding her wings for her (remember that meant she was on her last vital cycle? so sad) and taking her away, while the zombies from Hell all fall dead-dead to the ground.

In the following scene, Tamsin's at the gates of Valhalla, possibly (?), crying her eyes out, when Dyson comes to get her. I do love these two's interactions. He protects her like she's his little sister, when really, she's way older and more powerful than him. She keeps saying that Kenzi's gone... but Dyson won't have it. He tells her they'll get Kenzi back and scoops her up in his arms to take her away. I'm REALLY hoping that this time, Kenzi'll be back with something up her sleeve. I love her as a human, and at the beginning of the season I didn't want to think that Massimo had changed her, and I was glad that all she got was some instant fae power that faded with her washes like it was hair dye.
But now, I believe she deserves SO MUCH MORE. I'll be pissed if I don't see Kenzi in the next season.

AND! We finally learnt Kenzi's last name! Malikov! (Even though we saw it on her tombstone.) So awesome. I love it, it fits her so well. That Bo-monologue at the end was crappy stuff, reminding us of things we know, and making Bo look -really- like she was a narrator instead of a suffering woman. Everything she said was for the viewer's benefit and completely uncalled for.

The episode ended as did the season, and still we saw nothing of Pappa Dearest. I said it before, they're building up a mountain so high with this, that when the moment of the reveal comes, I fear we'll all be disappointed.

But hey! Bring on the Warrior! Kenzi in Valhalla fanfiction. I'm all for it.

60 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
very disappointed by last episode of season 4, seen first 6 on season 5 and not impressed with the writers, they have lost the plot.....
Flag
Judging by how badly this review is written I honestly think you should reconsider your future career choice of script writer. Unless it's for the Cartoon Network.
Flag
I would love to work for the Cartoon Network, honestly.

Maybe what you found wrong in my writing has something to do with me being Argentine and English not being my first language, I don't know. I wish you'd point out to me where I went wrong, so I can correct myself. :)
Flag
Right? lol

Maybe Mike should work on how to write proper criticism instead of producing some upset 4-year-old retort.
Flag
I just finished binging the show, so maybe I got here late and you have already talked about this, but Ksnia Solo doesn't appear in the Showcase website's cast roster for season 5, I am completely in camp "If Kenzi's dead for good, I'm giving this show up right now.", so if there is a link to a show your support webpage let me know!!!
Flag
I adore this show. That being said, this season was horrible. I'm tired of the Bo's father storyline. Mostly because it's been dragging on for 2 seasons and we still don't know who he is or even who's playing him. I'm also tired of seeing Linda Hamilton on the show. She was amazing in Terminator but it's obvious she hasn't had a chance to sharpen her acting skills in years if not decades. The writing this season took a serious turn for the worst and honestly reducing the amount of episodes each season seems to have done nothing good for the show at all. Everything is rushed and jumbled with a mere 13 episodes. A far cry from the first few seasons with 22 episodes.
Flag
I was really excited for the Bo/mystery man story line; thinking the reason Bo can't chose b/t Dyson and Lauren is because there was a third option and this person was her true soulmate...tada! enter Rainer. And then between his big reveal and his death found myself repeating... Qu'est que huh?
If it wasn't for Rachel and Ksenia pulling us through this season I'd say MOH to season 5.
Getting really frustrated with the writers dragging out who Bo's father is. I've been playing the guessing game (Puck-the merry wanderer of the night, Odin-the wanderer, Sutur-he's norse look him up) since season one and now I just don't care.
Season 4 had it good points and started off strong, but by the end found myself feeling cheated of my time. Very Disappointed overall.
Flag
I so agree with some of the postings on this season. i was left wondering what is going on for most of the season. i waited for so long for the season to start and then i feel they let us down. especially when they let Hale die and then Kenz sacrificing herself. if they do not fix this - if tric doesn't do some re-writing of history or something to bring them back - i don't know that i will be able to continue watching. Anna can do a great job when she has something worth working with, but when you give her crap - there is know where to go but down. the actor that plays Dyson - also really good, but again - they did not use him well either. what the heck were they thinking when they wrote this season?
Flag
KC (Hale) isn't coming back to the show. As far as we know. He asked to be killed off so he could concentrate on other projects.
Flag
I haven't read all the comments, but the ones I have, I agree with. I also agree with the review. As we watched Season 4, we kept commenting how it wasn't at all like the show we'd started watching in Season 1, and that perhaps there were new writers, or maybe the original writers simply didn't have a clue where they wanted the story to go. Season 3 started to go downhill for us, and then Season 4 was an absolute mess. I wanted Lauren to die 3 seasons ago, but who do they kill off? Hale. And now Kenzi. And Bo has all this awesome power in her, but they've made her this wishy-washy, indecisive...wimp; Kenzi had more chutzpah than her, in so many ways!
Flag
Right now I am battling the cold from hell so to speak... I truly wish I had waited seeing this episode... last thing I needed was a headache from crying to go with the throat ache and stomach ache from the cold... as I watched the episode all I could say on Facebook was: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KENZI NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I am crying so hard right now... so incredibly hard right now..." of all the characters they whacked it had to be Kenzi???? My cold just got worse... yea I really should had waited to see this episode... I am not happy right now...
Flag
Poor baby! *hugs*
Flag
thx Ella... at least the cold is letting go of me.. heartache from last episode... nope still around... won't go away... if Kenzi aint back next season it will be the last episode I watch...
Flag
I (in the U.S., and as I will get to in a minute, just got around to watching this) felt like somewhere along the line, but especially post the train, I feel like scenes were cut out that made things make a lot more sense. Or made the threat of Bo's father be more real. They were just jumping to thing to thing. I think, maybe, that there were too many things going on and too many red herrings along the way. Like, it might have just been interesting to have the dynamic of Tric and Rainer and the Unamens be a result of Tric's actions that he now regrets that Rainer was protesting against back, whenever. And that Bo maybe represented how Tric could repent and how Rainer could forgive, that might have been a fine little season and you could have the others on their little stand alone cases. Heck, it might have funneled a little more impact into Hale's death if we had seen him, well, at least as much as we saw him in Season 1 (I always felt making him the Ash kind of faded his character). Heck, you could fold into the story that Bo is a destined Queen to lead the Fae out of Tric's requirement to choose a side, if they could explain a little how you might change a side (which clearly you could do since Bo's mother did)

I don't entirely get how Massimo was Evony's son...and I don't think I care. But it makes me a little curious about the animosity that is between Vex and Evony.

I don't know, I just felt no urgency about Bo's father's appearance and it didn't really help that Lauren seemed kind of whatever about the possible coming apocalypse. But I was very moved by Kenzi's sacrifice, that totally made sense (and in one of my favorite shows, the showrunner always says, the real 'romance' on the show is between Scott and Stiles as best friends and brothers, similarly it was good the show remembers that Bo and Kenzi are the core of this show). I am a little concerned about what Tamsin seemed to be saying to Dyson...
More+
Flag
I love Teen Wolf too! And yes, her sacrifice made complete sense.
Flag
What crack me up was the horde of zombies. There were too many of them to fight off but Dyson and Kenzie had plenty time to have nice long conversation in middle of the battle with just poor Tamsin fighting them off. Really? The ending was great with Kenzie sacrificing herself. Tamsin spreading her wings and taking Kenzie was beautiful. Though the the ending at the gate was confusing since you weren't sure where they were at..
Flag
I couldn't agree more with the comments about the show and the character of Kenzi. She is the soul of the show, and without her there is no hope. And I would love to see Dyson and Kenzi together.
Flag
YAY another Denzi fan!
Flag
season 4 needed less train and ooo who am i to lets get to the real story and killing beloved people off like Hale and Kenzie cmon is Bo the only one to be able to have a relationship with anyone they better be finding a way to bring them both back or they are going to lose alot of viewers sorry Bo Kenzie was the shit......
Flag
I too feel that S4 lacked the chemistry of S1 - S3; however, I do feel that the love affair between Kinsey and Hale managed to save it. What was remarkable was Kinsey's role is S4 and her degree of growth into a major, yet under played character. It was due to her evolution that I desperately wanted to see her transformed into some unique form of Fae who was to be respected in her own right apart from team Bo. I hope this is what comes to pass in S5. Since like Willow Rosenberg, Kinsey is one side kick that deserves her own spin off.
Flag
Dyson looks on Kenzi as a daughter - he is far more protective of her than a brother - besides being about a 1000 years older. If Kenzi does come back - by no means certain - she will certainly not be human since she would have been gone for too long for that to work. My personal preference is for her to come back as a Valkyrie - any spin off series if that happens would be awesome since we already have 2 Valkyries on the show ;o)
Flag
I hope she comes back as something! I don't know if as a Valkyrie... but Fae, yes please.
Flag
lauren figured out how to make the morgan human - so, if nothing else she should be able to make kenzi fae
Flag
I'd pay to see a spinoff show featuring fae Kinzie with superpowers. I figure something ninja-like would be fun and fit her character. Something helping her sneak or steal, or even assassinate villians (to explore the moral tension of killing bad guys, like on Arrow).

Obvious choices like strength, invisibility, or speed are too cliche. Kinzie needs something more unique.
Flag
I know I'm a little late to the party, totally forgot that Lost Girl even existed.. Anyway, after binge-watching the entirety of season 4 in one sitting, I can't say I'm impressed. I agree wholeheartedly with almost everything you said. I felt that the writing was extremely spotty and it was as if they all got together, couldn't decide what route to take, and decided to just Frankenstein the entire thing with the hopes that it would turn out all right. I found myself growing increasingly angry with every episode, and the only thing that kept me watching was Kenzi (definitely my favorite character), and the possibility of a Bo and Tamsin relationship (I can't stand Lauren or Dyson.. Both have actually become increasingly annoying). I almost stopped watching when they killed Hale, I had been waiting SO long for the Kenzi and Hale relationship to take off, and when it started to I was super stoked.. Too bad the writers thought it a 'good idea' to kill it before it even left the ground, very upsetting. Dyson, Lauren, DysON, LAURen.. Dammit, she needs to make a decision, preferably neither. I just don't get either relationship.. I don't like the characters of Dyson or Lauren, and I just can't connect to it. This has been an ongoing issue for me since like season 2/3, but I had hoped it would change in this season. The whole Rainer thing has so many faults I can't even begin. I felt like so much time was wasted just to lead up to her having to 'save' him. Like, there were so many episodes about trying to recollect her memory, and for what? Some guy that doesn't make it through the season? Worst part is that I didn't even realize he had been killed, like some I had to rewind and by that point there was no shock factor, and I honestly didn't care. This whole "The Wanderer" garbage is becoming annoying as well.. It was a mystery I wanted to figure out at first, but now it has just become so stale.. All I can say is that I hope Kenzi comes back, if not, I'm out. I never particularly liked this show, the acting from some of the characters is so off for me that I just can't, but I stayed for Kenzi... Ksenia Solo is just a very talented actress, definitely steals the show, which is sad considering the fact that she doesn't even play the main character.
More+
Flag
K.C. Collins was signing off the show since they began filming S4, so it was no surprise that Hale died. He plays another, maybe even bigger, part in a nursing/doctors show, and he preferred to stick with that.

And there are rumours about Ksenia being called to act in Star Wars! They're just rumours, but one can only hope!
Flag
Just wanted to sawy, its kind of strange the kill off the character but is it a cliffhanger? I heard Season 5 is in the works. And then there's the rumor about her being in Episode 7 which doesn't sound real at all.
Flag
Wow, so that's it huh! Kenzie MUST come back, she really is the heart of the show and she's a fabulous actor. I was so pissed to have Hale die and before she even got to say yes! I think it could have been an interesting story line having him back as Ash and Kenzie as his wife keeping him in line. She could have done so much with that! I really can't see her with Dyson, sorry Ella, its just WAY too wrong, not to mention breaking girl code in a huge and also disturbing way! Come on! That memory loss episode where they were together turned me right off!
I think Bo and Dyson need to get back together and the writers could really do something with the two of them creating a child as teased in previous episodes. But maybe make it a not planned pregnancy and create something cool about the two blood lines forming making the baby a special part of the show OR another cool twist could be for Kenzie and Hale to come back somehow and them make a baby! I mean, a half-human/half-fae would create a huge diabolical in the show and could bring even more depth for Kenzie's character in the show, making her baby a huge deal in shifting the fae world.
Either way, the triangle between Bo, Dyson and Lauren is getting tiring and that supposed `true love`Rainer, was just ridiculous! Dyson is her true love, I mean really, we`ve all seen it. Her relationship with Lauren is cool, I`m all for the gays, but we all know the soul to soul connection is between Bo and Dyson. So get it together writers!
It's neat that Lauren can now turn Fae into humans, though I don't entirely understand that, I'm curious to see what they do with that. To be honest, I also kinda like her with Evony it's an interesting power shift. I think we've all wanted to bring Evony down a peg or two from time to time, so go Lauren!
The whole story with Massimo was just dumb and we all know Kenzie should have got that revenge. But his story line went on WAY too long and got way out there for it to end the way it did. I was not impressed. Although it was cool seeing Kenzie with powers, I was hoping they were going to do more with that.
I really love Tamsin's character in the show and I hope they continue to do something great with her next season. Though I don't think it should be hooking up with Bo.
Finally, I still really love Bo too and I think if they tie up loose ends creatively enough and weave in some awesome new twists, the writers could really revive the show from it's disappointments and make the viewers happy again. Here's hoping!!!
More+
Flag
LOL that okay! I know there are very few people in the Denzi wagon. But I've been seeing it since season 1 and now I just can't stop.
But, yeah, the love triangle needs to stop. It was okay before, but it's getting way too old now.
Flag
Without Kenzi Lost Girl is over for me. She's not supposed to be the main character but in four season she give me more emotion that Bo. Maybe a spin-off with her could be a goo idea.
Flag
Finally go to the end of Season 4.... Took me a while because frankly at times it felt like a chore... so I am with Ella on the overall disappointment with the season and the finale was more of the same... A few saving graces were the Valkyrie who is a great mix of fun and heroism and has great chemistry with both Bo and Dyson, the crazy and funny dude that is Vex, even Evony/ The Morrigan is kind of a fun character...
And of course Kenzi in her awesomeness.... and I hope she comes back as more than human because 1) It'd make her return more plausible & 2) I think the show has done some good ground work with Kenzi's recent ploys to become more fae... I don't know but I do hope she comes back as more than a cameo...
Lots of things disappointed me though:
  • I didn't care that Rainer died and neither did Bo by the look of it. How does he go from love of her life to he's dead, let's move on? Worst relationship / character development ever
  • Equally after all this time, the Hale-Kenzi love story felt underdeveloped & rushed by the time Hale died so I didn't find Kenzi's meltdown that believable. If anything Dyson should feel the loss more since they are childhood friends (I think?). I was all for Hale-Kenzi but the show waited too long to make that happened and they killed him far too soon and in a rather shabby way too
  • The ongoing and still unresolved (right?) love triangle of Bo, Lauren & Dyson is getting beyond boring. One thing I love about this show is how it daringly explores the fact that sex & love in the fae world is not constrained by human expectations in particular re: monogamy or sticking to one gender. So kudos for that but the ongoing tension of this triangle, even after the detente/friendship, achieved by Lauren & Dyson this season will only end when either Lauren or Dyson either die or move onto a new relationship
  • And Bo's daddy? They keep taunting us with him for ages and still waiting... lIke you say, when he comes round likely a disappointment
  • Trick has been pretty underwhelming and ineffective this season. For a Blood King, he's a good for nothing now
I haven't heard that Lost girl has been renewed for a 5th season. I trust it will happen and it delivers better plots and also a good conclusion for what overall has been a great show
More+
Flag
It's been renewed in Canada, SyFy hasn't renewed it yet but I watch the show online anyways so...
But yeah I agree about Kenzi and Hale, I feel everyone was happy that it happened for but it was a bit of a disappointment and it took so long I still feel Kenzi had better chemistry with her last bf, although on Hales part I could see him liking her from earlier seasons.
As far as the Bo/Lauren/Dyson triangle they need to let Dyson fall for someone else because he's in last place and it's just boring. I seriously don't even know what really happened between Lauren and Bo. I think Tamsin and Bo have the most chemistry but they haven't even made it so Bo recognizes Tamsin in that way at all.
Flag
Oh cool, thanks for that. I can't see SyFy not airing the 5th season (I am guessing it'd be the last?) since it must be pretty cheap for them in comparison...
Flag
Dear Ella,

I don't think we saw the same finale...I think your review was totally biased and focused only on a few of the things that actually took place, simply influenced by your likings...oh...and too much negativity...it got a bit tiring to read...
At least we can agree on one thing: that Ksenia Solo is a really great actress...
Flag
That's fine, this is simply my opinion. But it's here so we can discuss! So tell us more about what you thought! I'd love to read that :)
Flag
Just finished watching the finale, and I 100% agree with you on how crap-tastic the writing was for this episode. I had thought that most of the season had been pretty good so far, and I also was hoping that with Hale's sudden death, the show was going further towards refined storytelling and direction, but instead this finale was an absolute mess. The dialogue was horrible, the "love" between Rainer and Bo that continued to make no sense till the end has been put out of its misery, and the mess that was Massimo is no more as well. I don't know how this could have gotten as ugly as it did, but I'm pretty disappointed.

That being said, I'm not terribly surprised by the disappointing non-appearance of daddy, nor the hilarious scene props for the gate to Hel, especially after the entire Garuda finale and how it looked like it was prop design straight of a 90's children's episodic horror show, complete with credits to local catering.

The season started out fantastically, and I had thought that Hale's death would be the beginning of an epic third act, but instead it just petered out.
More+
Flag
If Season 4 had been my introduction to Lost Girl I'd have been asking myself two questions: 1) What the hell is Ksenia Solo doing wasting her time with this dross? And 2) How did this show get 4 Seasons? Since the start of the 2013-2014 TV season I've dropped possibly five shows (from the 4 Episode Test) that were better than this season of Lost Girl.

I think Season 4 has been an abject failure. Solo has been such a highlight compared with her cast mates that she was like the intense burning glare of the Sun compared to an 1800's oil lamp (although Rachel Skarsten could be rightfully upgraded to those big-ass torches they used on The X Files). Despite being given some terrible dialogue Solo's range and emotion has been excellent and truly moving. It's a shame her cast mates couldn't step-up like she did. I was initially weary of Skarsten's Tamsin but if I continue to watch Lost Girl it will be (probably 95 %) because of her. I really like how Tamsin is emotionally vulnerable despite being both ancient and Dark Fae. I wasn't a massive fan of her acting kind of childish for a couple of episodes but she wasn't that bad, and God forbid what that storyline would have been like if any of the other cast members were given that task.

As @riot (partly) said before me,
*Hale Dies,
*Kensi sacrifices herself (and ultimately dies),
*The Morrigan is turned human,
*Bo and Tamsin hook up,
*Bo becomes a Dark Fae,
*Bo gets married to someone that isn't Lauren or Dyson (or Tamsin),
*Massimo gains all the powers of the fae,
*Lauren joins the Dark Fae,
*Tamsin is reborn,
*Lauren has an affair with The Morrigan...

Sounds like a recipe for an amazing season but the writing was so poor that none of these plot points merged together and the increasing occurrence of over-the-top exposition and narrative dialogue is ruining the flow of scenes and utterly destroying any combat scenes. I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm watching a fight scene I don't want everyone to suddenly stop while the two sides swap toothless barbs, filled with cliché and false emotion. Just get on with the damn fight. The Rainer/Massimo "fight" was quite possibly the worst fight scene I have ever seen and the dialogue to go with it was atrocious, it pretty much amounted to (not verbatim):

-Massimo throws Bo around like a rag doll,
-Trick "I'll take care of him",
-Rainer, places an arm in front of Trick "No! I've got this?"
-Rainer takes a step forward and Massimo twists Rainer's outstretched arm bringing him to his knees,
-Massimo inexplicable stops from killing Rainer long enough to allow some emotionally-vacant dialogue, whilst Trick (with a clear view of Massimo's back) and Bo just watch on like it's a school production of The Nativity,
-Massimo "snaps" Rainers neck,
-Massimo falls over some stools and runs away,
-Bo and Trick remember that they can actually move whilst Bo delivers another crucial line of clichéd dialogue.

Ugh! That's how this important, powerful character, who was supposed to be Bo's soul mate, was killed - and Anna Silk couldn't even muster a tear whilst delivering her terrible lines.

None of the story arcs really worked this season, with the Bo/Rainer "relationship" clearly being the worst. The writers need to go back to basics and rather than try to cram a dozen exciting sounding storylines into a 13 episode season and make them all gel together, just concentrate on trying to make one major season arc work from beginning to end. Once they've done that they can add a few mini-stories to fill out the supporting cast (which is everyone that isn't Bo, really).

I know all of that (except for Kensi and a little about Tamsin) was very negative, but considering where this show started four years ago I think it's justified. I really am very concerned that Lost Girl is going to completely lose its way and without Kensi as the shows "heart" (how very apt was that metaphor!) I'm seriously doubting that the show has a sixth season in it.
More+
Flag
Something was way off this season.
It's like the writers brainstormed some ideas, but when it came to executing them and making them go with the seasons main plot they blew it.
If at the end of last season you told me:
-Hale dies, Kinsey sacrificers herself but probably not gone for good, The Morrigan is turned human, Bo and Tamsin hookup and also Tamsin is def in love with Bo, Bo gets married, Bo is now part of the Dark Fae, and such.
It sounds like one awesome emotional and epic season. On their own these all sound great but the main story sucked.
After the build up of the Wanderer las season Rainer was a waste. I feel like we didn't even get a real build up and prepare for the big fight that was her dad...ugh.
This season was just off. I could watch the episodes separately and enjoy some but collectively the plot didn't do to well.
Flag
Considering Bo's reaction to Dyson's death during her dawning (and they weren't even "together" at the time), Rainer's was just another day in the office. I personally hope that storyline is over and can be quickly forgotten.
Flag
I think she would have a bigger reaction from Ryan that dark fae she dated.Those two had no chemistry what so ever. I couldn't even buy that they were friends who she fed off. Nothing about her with Rainer made sense. Bo trust of him over everyone else, even if she didn't trust trick you'd think she'd just stick to her own thing
Flag
Ok the season was extremely erratic.

Maybe the story wasn't that terrible but the writing was atrocious (did they hire fans to write? I would have volunteered for free so they could use more extras and pay a decent "fight master" to stage the "zombie" scenes) !!!!

The never-ending romanticism is not bad by itself only when it is done so ridiculously...

Yes, I stuck with Lost Girl because of my little crush on Ksenia Solo & Kris Holden-Ried... AND because the show is silly and fresh.. but maybe it's not any more?
Flag
For me, this season has been a washout. It just seems like the writers had a bit of a freak out in regards to Anna's pregnancy and as a result the plotting and pacing suffered. They should have delayed filming to come up with a real writing solution rather than this season's painting by numbers.

Trick was mostly sidelined and Kyle Schmid as Rainer was a completely wasted opportunity. I agree with there being so much telling, but hardly any showing with the Bo/Rainer epic love crap. Kenzi & Tamsin were pretty much the only characters worth watching. Even Vex was disappointing, through no fault of Paul Amos. Why was he even involved this season? What purpose did his character serve other than a drunken surgery session with Lauren in an earlier episode? It is so frustrating to watch a show you love falter. Especially as some of the actors are so good, they might as well leave and join other shows which will showcase their talents. If Kenzi doesn't come back I'm so so so done with Lost Girl, but I really couldn't blame Ksenia Solo if she found a better opportunity.
Flag
"Nay, of the SEASON. " I completely agree, Kenzi (Ksenia Solo), is the best thing of this Lost Girl Season 4!
Flag
Bring on the fanfiction in general. I'm hoping for 'I woke up and most of season four was just a dream' tropes.
Flag
I love Lost Girl, Anna and Ksenia are great, especially Ksenia. The writers have lost focus. This season was the worst for cohesiveness. They started to tell you something, but then yanked the rug out and switched direction in storytelling. I know nothing more than I did at the end of season 3, maybe even 2 for that matter.

This review covers my thoughts exactly. Almost every scene was a cliche. I still don't like Lauren. she just doesn't convey anything, except why is she here. I felt like they shoehorned her in from the first episode. I have seen Ms Palmer in other things, and I did not like her acting in those shows either. I did miss Vex in this episode. He is my close 3rd favorite character. Hale should not have died. He and Kenzi did make a great couple.

I thought that with only a 13 episode order, then it would be more cohesive, but it seems like it got worse. Get a showrunner with direction and focus.
Flag
I agree with all of your comments here. I'm hoping that Kenzi will return next season (she can't not come back!) and I'm hoping they will find some way of her bringing Hale back with her. She did say she hopes she'll see him again. There has to be some magical way to resurrect him too right?!
Flag
I think that's enough Lost Girl for me, the season was pretty poor and all over the place at times. Kenzie's death was a needless mistake as well.
Flag
I was thinking of comparing Kenzi's sacrifice to that of Buffy from the Season 5 finale. Anyone think they're a lot alike?

Also is Bo does go to Valhalla (And she will because this series is not ending with Kenzi's Death) Will we have Rainier? He was just written back into the books. Think it would be good and won't make him feel like a Nidia from Season 2.

""Dyson swore his fealty to the Queen, blah blah... was that REALLY necessary? She's not Queen of anything yet.""

Yes! Love Dyson giving his vow to Bo.
Flag
Wow, nice comparison! And yes, it's very similar.

I hadn't thought of Bo recovering Rainer too. Hmm...

And I would have LOVED it if Dyson's vow to Bo had been done differently. In the mess that was this finale, I couldn't buy it. It felt forced to me. But that's just me! :)
Flag
What happened to Rainer? One minute he was in the episode and the next they were talking that he was dead. What did I miss?
Flag
I had to rewind to check too. Very anticlimactic death for an entirely forgettable character. Hope the writers do not bring him back cause he was such a non-entity...
Flag
Massimo snapped his neck at the Dal!
Flag
That made the least amount of sense to me! Not that I loved Rainer just that he was supposedly some epic warrior who had forsight he dies from a guy who from what we know has no fighting experience but is strong. He could dodge attacks before but couldn't dodge Massimo who barley had control of himself.
Flag
Massimo ate the seed and had all Fae powers at once, including Rainer's foresight. Rainer was no match for him after that.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members