Lost Girl Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ShowcaseBetween Seasons

Syfy says this is one of their original series, but ....

bmoshier

[1]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 46

I'm watching "Lost Girl" for the first time (first episode and on Syfy). They say it is an original Syfy series, which I thought means they are the producers of it. Now I know in the case of "Being Human," there is an UK version and an USA version (just like Queer As Folk and others). Yet, when I've reading up on it, this simply looks to be a rerun (new to Syfy, but still a rerun).

So, is Syfy lying to us (which is what I suspect and it doesn't shock me at all)?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tayke

[2]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 8
    SyFy does not produce Lost Girl, they've just bought the rights to air it from Showcase, so yeah, 'new reruns'. I don't like the fact that they're claiming it to be a SyFy original, but I guess it's part of their deal with Showcase. And hey, it's a good show, and at least now it's reaching a wider audience. And who nows, maybe Showcase can spend a little more on season 3 special effects!

kanniballl

[3]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 18

SyFy used to do that a lot.

Back when they were still SciFi Channel they bought writes to air the cancelled show "Tracker" starring Adrian Paul; it aired and failed on network TV.

I know for certain the SciFi commercials were calling it a "World Broadcast Premiere" which annoyed me

And I *thought* they also said a SciFi series original.

I mean, they perhaps have some wiggle-room with saying "something" about Lost Girl since it's the first time it's officially aired in the USA. Like "National premiere" or something like that.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[4]Feb 10, 2012
    • level: 13
    kanniballl wrote:

SyFy used to do that a lot.

Back when they were still SciFi Channel they bought writes to air the cancelled show "Tracker" starring Adrian Paul; it aired and failed on network TV.

I know for certain the SciFi commercials were calling it a "World Broadcast Premiere" which annoyed me

And I *thought* they also said a SciFi series original.

I mean, they perhaps have some wiggle-room with saying "something" about Lost Girl since it's the first time it's officially aired in the USA. Like "National premiere" or something like that.

Still, isn't that illegal? To buy the rights to a show and say then that it is an original series for your network?

Tayke

[5]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 8
    Not if that is an agreed term when they bought the rights from Showcase.

Canada_Michael

[6]Feb 23, 2012
    • level: 10

Exactly.

They probably asked Showcase if they could do it & they said sure. As long as Showcase owns the series why would they care, it's not as if they're planning on launching a US version of Showcase.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[7]Feb 29, 2012
    Canada_Michael wrote:

Exactly.

They probably asked Showcase if they could do it & they said sure. As long as Showcase owns the series why would they care, it's not as if they're planning on launching a US version of Showcase.

Just seems like mis representation...

CharmedOneP391

[8]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 19

Back when Degrassi was watchable...and it was on The-N, even though the network bought rights from the show from CTV in Canada it still called Degrassi a The-N original series. I'm sure TeeNick probably still calls it that, too. I think it's all in the contract of the distribution rights. I'm sure Showcase is thrilled to have Lost Girl airing in the US. I believe showcase airs Warehouse 13 in Canada...they must trade shows with SyFy on the regular to try and get a wider audience for them.

Edited on 03/01/2012 6:00am

NYPinTA

[9]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 1
    The guy from SyFy explained in on twitter as meaning it's a SyFy "original" because they're the first American channel to air it. It's stupid and it is misleading. They should call it "exclusive" and keep "original" for the shows they actually developed. It's not like the audience would hold it against them that they brought a good show from another country! I love Lost Girl, I don't care that SyFy didn't create it. I'm just glad they are airing it.

mattgus

[10]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 14
    seems it would sound just as "cool" to say..we are the 1st to bring you a hit tv series from canada. already tested and loved etc... that would not only show some originality as networks from broadcast land don't do it prime x anyway and it would already be tested and liked by many so not one of the many 1 hit t womders that leave you hanging just as you got into it then canc after the 1st season...

firedrakes

[11]Dec 12, 2012
    true and sadly content does get cut airing on us channel. i got the Canada version of it