Lost In Austen Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

What do you think so far?

Rate

gam97

[1]Sep 23, 2008
    • level: 13
    I just came upon the series by accident yesterday and I just have to say I think it is a wonderful idea that hasnt been done before (at least I dont think so )I came to this page and I was slightly surprised that no one opened any topics for discussion. So here I am, let it rip ppl
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

electricpeppers

[2]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 26
    I liked it, but I thought the ending was ridiculous. I really thought this final episode was setting up Miss Price to realise that she was in love with the idea of Mr Darcy rather than the man himself -- it was just unhealthy the way it ended. I would rather she have woken up a la Alice in Wonderland. Or better yet, ended up with Wickham! He was ten times more interesting than Darcy in this version.
    Edited on 09/25/2008 8:33am
    Edited 2 total times.

gam97

[3]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 13
    I agree that the ending isnt what I thought it should be but I have to say that I liked the idea of Wickham being misunderstood the whole time. Anyways, I that enjoyed it while it lasted.

sakura_txell

[4]Oct 16, 2008
    • level: 5
    I didn't like the ending, either. And I agree with the idea of Amanda and Wickham together! That would have been an interesting turn! In general, it was funny.

rollergirl41

[5]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 2
    I am from America and didn't see it when it orginaly aired I bought the DVD when I saw it in a catalog. I agree that altough we all love Mr. Darcy, I think Wickham totaly showed his feelings for Amanda with all his actions. while Mr. Darcy told Amanda he had feeling for her the minite he found out she was not a maid and would not fit into society he dumped her. unlike Mr Bengly who told Jane he would take her to America once her marrage ended.

SesseKitty

[6]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 6

I played with the idea of Amanda and Wickham too but obviously it was a ploy. In the original P&P it is not obvious from the start that Wickham is a bad guy. So we needed the moment where people think that the leading lady might end up with him instead of Darcy. It is obvious that Wickham is still a player although not totally unworthy one. I doubt he would ever have married Amanda since she has no fortune. They might have had some fun together surely though .

And Darcy didn't just think Amanda wasn't "fit to society". At those times no respectable lady was anything but a maid. If Amanda had born on that time she indeed would have been a maid. After seeig the modern London Darcy realized that Amanda's world was completely different and that she was not a slut - to put it harshly. I found the ending very lovely. Also letting Amanda, the regular silly girl from the modern times (albeit that I find Jemima Rooper very enchanting myself) get her Darcy is the ultimate prize for all romantics. Didn't you ever wish to have your Darcy?

I found this serie to be truly refreshing, entertaining, well done and probably the most perfect romantic story I've ever seen. Cast was just brilliant and so was the writing. Everything that was different to the "real Austen universe" was funny but it worked well. I love the original story too but I don't have any strange needs to have Darcy and Elizabeth end up with each other like it was their destiny. One of the most charming things about this serie was to show us how little things can change the course of our lives. For you not being there at that day, your whole lives took a different direction. Darcy fell in love with Amanda and could not imagine loving Elizabeth anymore. And Elizabeth had her independent life in modern day and would have had to make a sacrifice to go back to the old ways. Such a subtle change, and everything was turned upside down forever. There was no way to put the things back as they were.