Lost in Space

Blast Off into Space

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Sep 16, 1966 on CBS

7.3
  • Here we have my #6-ranked of the season

Here we go..the blessed and glorious (in all-living color) Season Two kick-off episode. Many will put this one as the 'weakest' of the season openers (if you will) but not me. Yes..I rank this one ahead of "Condemned Of Space. And why wouldn't I? I boast of how much I love colored Season Two, and although it may not be as overall as 'exciting' as "Condemned Of Space," "Blast Off Into Space" gets my vote as a few notches higher. Why, you might ask. Well, the reasons are obvious. Being so utterly close to and recently removed from lovable B&W Season One, it still has a Season One feel to it. They are still on the lost and forsaken and barren planet. The kids (Penny and William in particular) are still quite young. Dr. Smith is not overly 'over the top' with an "effeminate" (to coin Robert's phrase) characterization, like he is in later Season Three episodes..and the story is very solid.

Basically, this is still an episode to love (if you are a big B&W fan), of course. Just like "Condemned Of Space" and "Visit To A Hostile Planet," there is really nothing not to like so far in the anniversary season. All three are pretty much devoid of pitfalls and drawbacks.

I have seen fans share their dislike for Mr. Nerim and his mule, for being too 'earth-like,' or something. Who cares? Maybe it is because I love a good western-style episode, or because I love Strother Martin's appearances in THE BIG VALLEY (or whatever else), but I like him and his characterization of the old miner just fine. His donkey was just an added interest. Actually, Mr. Nerim was an extremely likable old chum. It is odd and very rare, however, that the main guest star was done and gone pretty much at the midpoint of the story.

The new background incidental music guest scores from Leith Stevens were not exatly 'stellar' or a big favorite of mine, but it (the music) works just fine for the story. It was a big plus to bring on a guest composer for such a huge occasion as a season premier..especially the first colored episode premier. This was big!

How big was it? Well, "Blast Off Into Space" is my #7-ranked episode on the season..slightly above "Condemned Of Space," yet slightly below "Visit To A Hostile Planet." Wait! Who is trying to compare episodes from 'across the seasons?' That is never a good idea, and never an easy thing to do. :-]

Here is a very interesting bit of trivia you may not know. This is the one and the only episode where the guest star's character's name is listed in the opening credits, instead of saying "Guest Star." What I mean is, instead of reading "Guest Star Strother Martin," the opening credit reads "Strother Martin as Nerim." This is totally a one-of-a-kind occurrence.

So far, the illustrious Peter Packer has helmed all three anniversary episodes. That streak ends tomorrow..

• The title says it all.

After one season stuck on the planet Preplanus, the Robinson family make it into space, but not before the family is at risk of blowing up with the planet. This episode is distinctive in many respects. It is the first episode of the second season. It's the first color episode. It's the first time the Jupiter II is seen in flight since the premiere episode. It has a lot going for it and it also has the strike of the campy Nerum, the first of many campy characters to plague the family and ultimately being the series down from the quality series it was.