Lost in Space Forums

CBS (ended 1968)

second season on DVD

skippercollecto

[1]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 15

I've been watching the second season on DVD, and these are some of my observations:

In "A Visit to Hades," (one of the series' funniest episodes), why is Judy so unhappy? There's nothing at the beginning of the episode to explain it. Was there a scene originally filmed (and aired) that is lost (pun intended)? Did Judy and Don have a fight? Is it PMS?

Does anyone else find the aliens in "Wreck of the Robot" to be really, really creepy, I mean, like nightmare-inducing? They made my hair stand on end! (It also drove me crazy trying to figure out who they reminded me of. Anyone have any ideas? Someone who wears a black hat....)

"The Toymaker" originally aired Jan. 25, 1967. It's actually a Christmas episode and I wondered if the episode needed to be rescheduled from an airing in December.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

skippercollecto

[2]Jun 29, 2012

More comments:

The birthday song at the end of "The Toymaker" is based on the child's tune "The Bear Went Over the Mountain." The producers probably didn't want to buy the rights to use "Happy Birthday." They probably also thought that families would be singing a different song 40 years in the future!

In "The Cave of the Wizards," Dr. Smith is obviously a Vulcan!

skippercollecto

[3]Aug 2, 2012

I just watched "The Colonists." I remember a scene in there when I saw the show in reruns in the early 70s. I thought there was a scene inside the cave with Maureen, Judy and Penny being taken care of, and one of them making a disparaging remark to one of the men. It's not on the DVD. Or is this something my imagination just came up with?

skippercollecto

[4]Aug 8, 2012

In "The Astral Planet," you learn that Dr. Smith's mother's maiden name is Ruthven.

skippercollecto

[5]Apr 6, 2014

My comments about each episode:

Blast Off Into Space. Note that everyone is wearing orange, green, yellow or brown velveteen. Both the opening and closing credits have been refilmed in color.

The Wild Adventure. Will is very sexist throughout the series, and it is noticeable in this episode. It takes place in October, just before the World Series. The first episode featuring Lorelei. Since Dr. Smith threw out all of the fuel, and Lorelei ate it, the Robinsons must....

The Ghost Planet. .....crash land on another planet. The female voice you hear is that of Ina Balin.

Forbidden World. This is a follow-up to the previous episode, as the crew lands on its third planet. John makes a Maureen/Marines pun. Anyone else notice that the creature looks like the San Diego Chicken?

Space Circus. Will's pet frog is never seen again. This is the third episode about Will's telekinetic powers.

The Prisoner of Space. Note that the family has new lawn furniture.

The Android Machine. The first appearance of Verda the android, designed by Andromachus, and also the first appearance of Zumdish, manager of the Celestial Department Store. The story is borrowed from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. Five canisters of nutronium are needed to allow Jupiter 2 to blast off. We learn that the Robinsons also use nutronium as their currency for their purchases. Verda knows all about Earth, so why didn't the Robinsons ask how to get there?

The Deadly Games of Gamma Six. We learn that this third planet is named Gamma Six. The aliens know about Earth. The plot is similar to what Suzanne Collins will write in The Hunger Games in 2008. Where was the punching bag hanging from?

The Thief of Outer Space. A meteor storm occurs before the episode begins. We never learn what happens to the princess once she goes back into her bottle. This is the prettiest, most colorful episode of the series. Are there Muslims in outer space?

The Curse of Cousin Smith. Dr. Smith meets up with his despised cousin, Colonel Jeremiah Beauregard Smith. Both men are fighting over the Aunt Maude's fortune. We never learn what happens to Jeremiah. Little Joe (a reference to Bonanza) is voice by Allan Melvin of The Brady Bunch.

West of Mars. Zeno never returns Dr. Smith's clothes, but Smith is wearing them in the next episode.

A Visit to Hades. This episode is one of the funniest, if not the funniest, episodes of the series, with lots of one-liners.

Wreck of the Robot. When the Robot's waist doesn't rotate well, Will sprays WD-40 on it. One of the aliens states that "resistance would be futile." Are these creatures the earliest incarnation of the Borg?

The Dream Monster. Does anyone else not feel sympathy for Radion at the end of the episode?

The Golden Man. On Earth, it is May. Does anyone else got Radion, Kema and the Junkman confused?

skippercollecto

[6]Apr 7, 2014

My comments about Season Two, part two:

The Girl from the Green Dimension: The background music is the same as the music for Dark Shadows.

The Questing Beast. Gundemar is voiced by June Foray, the voice of Granny, Rocky the Squirrel, Grandma Dynamite, Talky Tina and Chatty Cathy.

The Toymaker. The episode takes place around Christmas on Earth, as you hear "Jingle Bells." Mr. O.M., who used to work for the Celestial Department Store, closed his outlet on Earth because the children there already had too many toys. The jazz music sounds like it was performed by Herb Alpert. The family sings "Today is Penny's Birthday." It's the same melody as "The Bear Went Over the Mountain." Presumably, the producers didn't want to pay the rights to use "Happy Birthday." For once, Don and Zac are united, in their disgust at the lovey-dovey Robinsons at the end of the episode. It's unknown as to whether or not the roof coming off the dollhouse at the end of the episode was in the script, but I know those 1960s metal dollhouses broke apart easily.

The Space Vikings. The music you hear at the beginning is Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries."

Rocket to Earth. Dr. Smith and Will make radio contact with Earth.

The Cave of the Wizards. Dr. Smith looks like a Vulcan! (Star Trek had premiered the previous September.)

Treasure of the Lost Planet. Alonzo P. Tucker returns. The episode is a fable about what is valuable.

Revolt of the Androids. IDAK (Instant Killer and Destroyer) is a parody of Superman. The episode contains the famous phrase, "Crush! Kill! Destroy!"

The Colonists. This episode is the first that uses the weird green filter in scenes whenever the characters get zapped. The relay stations get set up.

Trip Through the Robot. Don gets injured again. When will the Robinsons ever learn not to include Dr. Smith in repair work, or at least write out instructions for him?

The Phantom Family. Penny and Judy get new hairstyles. The relay stations from The Colonists are now working, and will be used in the episodes following this one. Lemnoc looks like a red Bart Simpson. How did the Robots know the Robinsons were clones, if he wasn't anywhere near them?

The Mechanical Men. When Dr. Smith is chained to the ground by the little robots, the scene is obviously borrowed from Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels. The head robot is said to be purple, but he is dark red. I wonder what happened to all the toy robots? Were they resold at stores or two collectors? Was the episode actually an advertisement for the robots being sold by Remco on Earth?

The Astral Traveler. Hamish was beheaded in 1497, and he mentions it is 400 years later, so it would be 1897. What year is it on Earth when Will and Dr. Smith meet Hamish? Angus is the skunk cabbage from the first season.

The Galaxy Gift. How did Dr. Smith get the amulet from Penny to duplicate it, if she was wearing the amulet the entire time?