Lost in Space

Fugitives In Space

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Jan 31, 1968 on CBS

• One of my favorite episodes not becase of Dr. Smith but Major Don West and him are in sneakers! Oh, why couldn't Will and Dr. Robinson also been in sneakers, but such is life.

There goes Dr. Smith again. Even as a child (during the original broadcast) of 10, Dr. Smith just grated me the wrong way. He was an adult and I felt more mature than him. After this episode I hoped they would leave him on the prison planet, but no such luck.

Still I liked the episode as Dr. Smith and Major Don West were wearing the same kind of sneakers I wore everyday. I didn't really think of my sneakers as inmate wear, but after this show I started wondering what inmates wore. This gave me some fun time at the library. OK, I was a geek even at 10.

In the end because of the sneakers this episode is one of my favorite. Afterwards when thinking about the episode, I realized I had really wanted to see Will and Dr. Robinson also wearing those sneakers. After all Will was about my age and my hero and Dr. Robinson was a Father figure. Seeing them wear the same sneakers I wore would have been confirmation my sneakers were hot stuff. Enough about me, this isn't a blog entry but a review.

Dr. Smith is his old self; Will has to be the adult half of their team; Don is simply mad at the situation and Dr. Smith and rightly so. This episode is typical Lost In Space fun.

For those who love the Dr. Smith character he is in true form in both mischief and in doing the right thing in the end.

This is a good episode and for me it helped me clarify my likes, dislikes, and desires.
  • Dr. Smith and Major West are imprisoned by false charges in a deadly Prison Planet.

It's one of my favorite episodes, not only since to see interact Dr. Smith and Major West is always good since they are the two extremes. And my favorite scene is when the criminal offered the freedom and wealthy to Smith but he is reluctant since Don is leaving unconcious, true, he almost went after the criminal but still he showed the good side of his nature at least for a brief moment.
  • can dr. smith and major west get along with an ape and a block of ice?

dr. smith bumps into a space prisoner and he forces him to change clothes. the warden then arrests both smith and don (since he was there i guess). no john, maureen ,penny and judy in this one. they are sent to a hot prison with the space prisoner. the robot attempts to help them escape by baking a cake with a stick of dynamite as a candle. will then lights the candle and boom. later the robot bakes another cake and delivers it to smith and don. it then blows up and the robot goes whoops, too much yeast. yuk yuk. major west seems to be in more of these later third season episodes (better than wooden guy williams). dr. smith is in top form and the seeing the robot with a bakers hat and apron is worth the price of admission. as usual everything turns out hunky dory.
  • the guest stars make this a good espisode

run of the mill script, worn out scenery, dr smith gets in trouble, don gets thrown in the mix. will and the robot save the day. robot silliness that is so over used in season three. michael conrad ( hill street blues) plays the alien great and the comedy of the warden tol avery makes the story better than as written.