Lost in Space

Island in the Sky

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Sep 29, 1965 on CBS

• Edge of The Atmoshphere

The Robinson's come across a planet and Prof. Robson's para-jets to the planets surface. Unbeknownst to the rest of the family Dr. smith tampered with the jets and Prof Robinson's falls helpless through the planet's atmosphere. Don and Maureen decide to follow John and they land the ship (Harshly) in hope of finding Professor Robinson.

Tons of suspense, effects, the Jupiter 2 crashing is always a treat to watch.
  • Episode #3 here comes in ranked at #5 overall for the series.

Although I noticed that "Island in the Sky" is top-ranked at this site on average, I must slightly correct that to rank it #5 for the series. It is fifth best of the first five episodes in the series, which comprise the mega-epic adventure kicking off the series. It is very true, however, that when you take the first half alone of this super classic, there is nothing better or more gripping. It's extreme drama and adventure, all the way. Overall though, it's neatly ranked at #5 overall. The teleplay for this installment was written by Norman Lessing, his only contribution during the run of the show. More top-notch, all-classic background music is introduced here again, from the legendary Johnny Williams.

What can you say about any of these first five episodes of the series..besides the fact that they are the very best of the series. I have even seen people rate this third installment, "Island In The Sky" as the single best episode of LOST IN SPACE. Of course, that could very well be true. Obviously though, that can be said for any of the 'first five' episodes. I do not think there is any other episode of LOST IN SPACE where the Dr. Smith character is at this level of pure evil and wickedness. As some might say, Dr. Smith is "deliciously wicked" in this one. The first twenty minutes of this episode could very well be the very best (approximately) twenty minute section of the series. Indeed. It does not get better than that. Robert, once again, absolutely loves the Johnny Williams music scores in "Island In The Sky"..and who wouldn't? Some of Robert's very favorite music cues (and mine) occur in this episode, his very favorite being the 'crash music.'

It is basically impossible to dislike this episode..or any of the first three episodes so far. Each of the first five episodes of LOST IN SPACE is pure 'elite-ness' high drama, adventure, and enjoyment. The only thing that really varies is in what order fans' like the first five episodes. Rather (perhaps) surprisingly, "Island In The Sky" is actually my #5-ranked. That's right. I like the other four ever so slightly better and I have them ever so slightly higher ranked. It is hard to even come up with much of concrete reasons. The competition is ultra-fierce, and any small things will make the difference.

Besides the ultra-top first twenty minutes, I will mention one other bit I really like..and that would be the part where we first find out where Professor Robinson is, down in that electrified pit, and oh so close by. That bit (along with the accompanying music) leading into the commercial break was great. Of course, the television audience and the Robinson family is introduced to 'Debbie the Bloop' in this episode.

"Don't trust him. He's slippery as a bucket of eels."

LosT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~jim~~~~~~~~~

iN

SpacE
  • This episode rocks!

I loved this episode. This episode shows us Dr. Smith not as the cowardly, comical character that he would soon become, but as a murderous, deranged saboteur that will stop at nothing to have his way. He monkeys with the rockets that John Robinson uses in an attempt to kill him. After John has crashed, and presumably been killed, on the planet, Don and Maureen tell the others to strap in while they land the ship and plan to search for John. Smith gets the robot to act as a henchman and threatens to have everyone aboard killed unless they abandon their plans to land and return immediately to earth. West tricks Smith, but Smith has one more trick up his sleeve. After forcing Smith into a freezing tube, they realized that Smith had done something to the ship's controls. The result is an exciting crash landing sequence that is second-to-none. An illogical thing about this episode:

When John Robinson is found, he explains that he found some fuel and got his jetpack working about 100 feet up from the ground. At that distance, he'd have been going so fast that he'd have been smashed to smitherines on impact with the ground even if he got the jet pack working! They should have had him say 1,000 feet up, or maybe even 10,000.

One question about the series in general: I have always wondered why the writers had Smith wanting to return to earth so badly. Of all of the characters, I would think he would have been anxious to see to it that they remained lost and not return to earth. After all, think of the charges he would certainly have faced! He was a traitor and a saboteur. These days, he'd have been labeled a terrorist. Upon returning to earth, he would have faced all of those charges! If anyone had motive to stay away from earth, it was Dr. Smith.