Lost in Space

Island in the Sky

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Sep 29, 1965 on CBS

• Episode #3 here comes in ranked at #5 overall for the series.

Although I noticed that "Island in the Sky" is top-ranked at this site on average, I must slightly correct that to rank it #5 for the series. It is fifth best of the first five episodes in the series, which comprise the mega-epic adventure kicking off the series. It is very true, however, that when you take the first half alone of this super classic, there is nothing better or more gripping. It's extreme drama and adventure, all the way. Overall though, it's neatly ranked at #5 overall. The teleplay for this installment was written by Norman Lessing, his only contribution during the run of the show. More top-notch, all-classic background music is introduced here again, from the legendary Johnny Williams.

What can you say about any of these first five episodes of the series..besides the fact that they are the very best of the series. I have even seen people rate this third installment, "Island In The Sky" as the single best episode of LOST IN SPACE. Of course, that could very well be true. Obviously though, that can be said for any of the 'first five' episodes. I do not think there is any other episode of LOST IN SPACE where the Dr. Smith character is at this level of pure evil and wickedness. As some might say, Dr. Smith is "deliciously wicked" in this one. The first twenty minutes of this episode could very well be the very best (approximately) twenty minute section of the series. Indeed. It does not get better than that. Robert, once again, absolutely loves the Johnny Williams music scores in "Island In The Sky"..and who wouldn't? Some of Robert's very favorite music cues (and mine) occur in this episode, his very favorite being the 'crash music.'

It is basically impossible to dislike this episode..or any of the first three episodes so far. Each of the first five episodes of LOST IN SPACE is pure 'elite-ness' high drama, adventure, and enjoyment. The only thing that really varies is in what order fans' like the first five episodes. Rather (perhaps) surprisingly, "Island In The Sky" is actually my #5-ranked. That's right. I like the other four ever so slightly better and I have them ever so slightly higher ranked. It is hard to even come up with much of concrete reasons. The competition is ultra-fierce, and any small things will make the difference.

Besides the ultra-top first twenty minutes, I will mention one other bit I really like..and that would be the part where we first find out where Professor Robinson is, down in that electrified pit, and oh so close by. That bit (along with the accompanying music) leading into the commercial break was great. Of course, the television audience and the Robinson family is introduced to 'Debbie the Bloop' in this episode.

"Don't trust him. He's slippery as a bucket of eels."

LosT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~jim~~~~~~~~~