Lost in Space

Kidnapped in Space

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Sep 20, 1967 on CBS

• One of my personal "Dirty Baker's Dozen" episodes..ugghhh...

3.4
    It only took until the fifth episode of the anniversary season to bring the first so-called 'clunker,' and one of my personal "Dirty Baker's Dozen" episodes. I thought much more highly of this episode in the old days, but that was another story and another time. There are a couple of noteworthy interesting things here, but that is all. This was the episode that introduced the viewing audience to the all-new 'Space Pod' (where did that thing come from?). Also interesting is the aliens' time bending devices they wear on their belts. Those were very cool and had possibilities. I think the story should have revolved more around those things, instead of the silly "we need someone to perform delicate brain surgery on our supreme leader" idea..say what?!? This episode introduced us to new Season Three writer Robert Hamner, and as Robert (Herzog) always mentions, he treated to Robot as an overly silly character. He also liked to have space members locked up in 'jails.'

On the surface, this episode appears exciting (in keeping with the early Season Three theme), but all it really accomplishes is groan worthy moments and ideas. It 'tries' to (still) be more serious than the majority of Season Two, but overall, it comes off even less good than its predecessors. Although the footage of the derelict spaceship is always classic (in color this time), we have seen it before. The first segment is easily the best. After everyone is on the space probe is where the episode falls apart many notches.

Penny's hair continues going through its transformation here. Silver flight suits once again are nice.

I want to mostly put the blame on brand new LiS writer Robert Hamner here. He simply did not have a grasp on LOST IN SPACE and characters..especially our metallic friend.

As Scott alludes to, "Kidnapped In Space" sticks out like a sore thumb in the early Season Three going..

Medical school dropout, indeed.

3.4