Lost in Space

CBS (ended 1968)

Gislef

Lost in Space Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

7.9
  • Never lived up to its potential.

7.6

Lost in Space started out fine, with an all-star cast and lots of cool space hardware. But as he was wont to do Irwin Allen turned it into a
    childrens program filled with monsters about as scary as the ones on Sesame Street. After the first season Batman hit the airwaves in the same time slot so nobody was watching Lost in Space anyway. Just as well since the 2nd season of LIS was not worth watching. It settled into a "guest star of the week" format with the storylines becoming increasingly unimportant. They relied heavily on Dr.Smith and the robot's newly developed comic chemistry, the only bright spot in an otherwise dismal season.

Season Three didn't follow the usual pattern of decline for such shows. Except for a couple of misfires like The Great Vegetable Rebellion it turned out to be far more entertaining than Season Two. The Robinsons finally blasted off from that dismal planet and headed off for new adventures in space. Penny(Angela Cartwright) was no longer a drab-looking adolescent running around in pants. She had become a beautiful young woman adding a little pizzaz to the show. And somewhere they came up with the "space pod" giving the Robinsons a way to go down and check out those planets before landing the Jupiter 2. In the final show the Jupiter 2 even had rockets to fire and defend itself with. All of this gave a new dimension to the show and revitalized it. But it was too little and too late. The series was not renewed and the cast didn't even find out until they were in the middle of a meeting with the press. Lost in Space showed promise but it never quite got its act together. They depended too much on "teleporting" and other cheap special effects, and left too many questions unanswered. Of course the most nagging question of all, whatever happened to the Robinsons, was never addressed and that irks fans to this day. More than anything the show's fate was sealed--(as Dr.Smith would say, "We're doomed.")--by the success in the ratings of Batman on ABC.

Now for the good news. Lost in Space is available on DVD. Most of the things Hollywood predicted for the future like flights to Alpha Centauri, laser guns, and hydroponic gardens in every home didn't happen, but in some ways the future turned out even neater than we imagined. Amazingly you can now pop a disc into a machine and see images of a show that aired 40 years ago and most of it looks like it was filmed yesterday. It's sad that Guy Williams and Jonathan Harris(Prof. Robinson and Dr.Smith) are gone now. But thanks to DVDs they'll always be with us. That's a much better use of laser technology than turning it into a death ray.

• Lost in Space had an outstanding pilot episode but became an opportunity for good science-fiction wasted by very bad scriptwriting.

5.4
    Lost in Space, the television program which Trekkies and other sci-fi fans love to hate, was wrecked by the attempt to broaden its appeal and a lack of foresight. As with Star Trek, there were two pilot episodes produced. The first, sans Robot and Dr. Smith, has the Space Family Robinson battling a giant cyclops, discovering the ruins of an ancient civilization, boarding a huge derelict spaceship. Absolutely enthralling! The second pilot, a re-work of the first, introduces Col. Smith as 'an agent of a great foreign power' (i.e. the USSR) and the robot as a fearsome berserker. Not bad, but not as good as before.

Regrettably Lost in Space soon degenerated, as the writers simply didn't know what to do with the characters. The vicious Col. Smith painted them into a corner and would either have to be killed or exiled so he becomes cowardly, selfish Dr. Smith and plays Stan Laurel to Robot's Oliver Hardy. So a series of bad stories ensue, as when interstellar hillbillies come to call...

Strong Points: First five or so episodes. Good special effects, excellent incidental music.

Weak Points: Everything after episode 5. Poor scripts, total lact of imagination, production values declined. After Season 1, hard to believe it was produced by adults.

See the pilot episodes on DVD or VHS and be pleasantly surprised. Avoid the remainder of the series.

jHh

• From the mind of Irwin Allen came a show with the potential of greatness, but eventually ruined by the greed and shallowness of a cast member.

The lost family Robinson. Lost In Space was almost perfect in execution from the very start. The unaired pilot was decent enough, but the addition of the robot and Dr. Smith was a brilliant move. Unfortunately it was just too good to be true. The Dr. Smith of the first season was a cold blooded spy and enemy of the Robinsons. The changing of his character to a whining joke(the pain,the pain..) was something that most certainly led to the cancellation of the show at the end of it's 3rd season. As popular as Will, the robot, and Dr. Smith were; making them the focus of the show and ignoring the rest of the cast was a huge mistake. So many great story ideas must have been rejected and to add insult to injury there was no satisfying conclusion to the series. In other words, they never made it home.
  • Lost in Space is the best TV Show. I own all 3 seasons on DVD. my favorite episodes are War of the robots, Wreck of the robot and Space Creature.

I currently own Lost in Space Season 1, 2 and 3 on DVD my favorite episodes from season 3 are are The Great Vegitable Rebelian, Two Weeks in Space, space creature and the time mearchant. In season 2 i like Curse of cousin smith, Cave of the wizards, Wreck of the robot and The golden Man. From season 1 i like the raft, One of our dogs is missing, War of the robots and the space trader.

More about Lost in Space

My Favorite Season 2 Episode: Wreck of the Robot
    My Favorite Season 3 Episode: Space Creature
    My Least Favorite Episode: The Dream Monster

• Cool Storly Lines and Great Actors and lots of action and irony...o the pain

This show isprobably the best Sci-Fi in my opinion. The strory lines are super clever and the characters are all ver loveable. I think the movie sucked and captured the wrong side of Lost in Space. I suggest getting Lost in great tv and check this out
    Best Season:3
    Best Episode:A Visit To Hades
  • It's an excellent show that on each season it got better and better!

I never was fan of the first season. I really got into Lost in Space where the series got color. The second season has a lot of memorable episodes but the third season is virtually perfect. If you are a true fan of the series, you will find every episode of the third season as a true classic. The series was campy, yes, but it's the best campy series of all. It's sad that they never did a decent ending with the original cast to the series. I'd love to read the plot that Billy Mumy had for that.
  • Sci-fi with training wheels

"Lost in Space" is probably best thought of as sci-fi with training wheels. About a family stranded by the actions of the villian (who later became comic relief instead of evil), this is more or less Robinson Crusoe in space. Surprisingly enough, it actually works.

Although it remained on the air, it was later overshadowed by the premier of the original Star Trek series which put lots more science into the mix.

This isn't a bad show, but I'm sure it looks pretty dated now.

Guy Williams will always be Zorro to me, not John Robinson. Bill Mumy has gone on to have a pretty good career both as a child and an adult.
1 2 >