Lost in Space

Space Creature

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Nov 15, 1967 on CBS

• "Creature Feature"

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think William Welch attempted a "serious" LIS script loosely based on the "id" monster from Forbidden Planet". I don't know how much of his original story was changed at the editing stage, but the result is a very off-beat, bizzare episode. Not in the usual campy sense, but in a Twilight Zone esque kind of way.

There ARE a few campy lines, and the scenes of the giant hand coming down over the viewport are laughable, however, the scenes on the fog shrouded "planet" are very effective. As are the tense climactic scenes on the Jupiter. The "monster" (a guy in a sheet) is also suprisingly well done, and conveys the primitive nature of the creature.

BTW, When the characters start disappearing I love the way they talk about splitting up and searching for them in the ship, as if it's the size of the Titanic. Nevertheless, a very atypical episode and one of the best of the series.
  • Creepy Concept

This is one episode i remembered my entire life. a strange fog and force starts taking over things on the Jupiter 2 and then family members start to vanish.l A strange alien that feeds off fear is taking over and its up to Will to save the day by facing his fear and confronting the strange alien in the reactor core of the Jupiter 2.
  • While landing on a planet, each member of the crew disappears one by one.

I love this episode because the plot is great. After you've been in space for three years, you begin to run out of plots (and end up on a planet with people-eating vegetables... and never look at a carrot the same way again), but this episode definitely shows that there were SOME plots towards the end of the show that were pretty decent. Its an incredibly cool concept -- the monster feeding on fear. Of course, its hard to believe that all of those rooms are contained in the J2, but we've learned to accept this. Great plot, great acting, great suspense. A series favorite!
  • One of the finest in all of Lost in Space.

The power core of the Jupiter 2 is strangely symbolic in this episode: A symbol of thesubconscious, where the darkest fears lurk and must be confronted, also symbolic of the \\\"power core\\\" of one\\\'s being.

As Dr. Smith puts it: \\\"Who knows what unspeakable horrors lurk in the nether regions of the ship.\\\" The power core, as a never before seen part of the ship, is aptly symbolic as a \\\"never before seen\\\" part ofone\\\'s mind.

It is also there that Dr. Smith introduces the audience to that Freudian concept: the id: the primitive subconscious
    \\\" The most savage, most primitive kid in the universe!\\\"

Memorable lines from this scene:

Dr. Smith ( aka the Space Creature possessing him): I\\\'m your ID!

Will: My what?

Dr. Smith: ID! I-D ID!

Will: You can\\\'t scare me with your big words!

The Space Pod gets some exciting moments in this episode ( as well as a pivotal part in the storyline). For the first time the Space Pod is seen RETURNING to the Jupiter 2 in a riveting scene. Truly a ghostly, Halloween episode, especially when Will suddenly discovers his Dad has vanished in the Space Pod (cleverly emphasized when the \\\'mountain climber\\\' rope tied between Will and his Dad suddenly goes limp). The \\\'blazing sun\\\' music first used with dramatic effect in \\\'The Hungry Sea\\\' is stunningly powerful here. Some aspects of this episode that are hard to explain: Seen from the outside, the Jupiter 2 hardly looks large enough to include a third level like the power core, which looks even more spacious than the upper and lower levels of the spaceship. Also, how could Will and Dr. Smith enter the power core level without incurring radiation poisoning, and why would Prof. Robinson order Will to do something that dangerous? It seems to me they should have protective suits on when going into that part of the ship.

Also, how does Prof. Robinson\\\'s cup of coffee manage to stay intact on top of the control panel without spilling all over the place during the Jupiter 2\\\'s shakeups encountered in its orbit of the alien planet?
  • This is one of the best episodes of lost in space because will goes down to the power core. I would give this episode 10 out of 10 but I cant imagine how there could be three decks on the Jupiter 2.

This is one of the best episodes of lost in space because will goes down to the power core. I would give this episode 10 out of 10 but I cant imagine how there could be three decks on the Jupiter 2. In the episode "The Raft" The Propulsion Unit is located bethid the door that sais "Danger Radioactive" but in this episode this it the door to a room with emergency supplies and there is a ladder down to the power core of the Jupiter 2.