Lost in Space

The Oasis

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Nov 10, 1965 on CBS

6.9
  • Some rough spots, but over-all, I like it.

In this episode, we see some of the comedic robot and Dr. Smith that will become the staple of the color episodes.

Here, there's a great scene where, during water rationing, Smith is seen by John and Don, taking a shower. The robot is holding the spigot, and the two of them are joyously singing opera. I love the banter between Don and Dr. Smith at this point. Don yells at Smith, asking him how he got the water. Smith answers and says that he used suction to get the water out of the tank. West asks Smith if he used suction to steal gas from cars as a teenager. Smith says "I was never a teenager in your sense of the word". West's answer: "I'm glad to hear that because I'd owe them all an apology if you were!"

In searching for Water, Dr. Smith pretends to be ill and is asked to return to the Jupiter 2. The others go on, and discover some fruit that, if safe to eat, will help them with their water problem.

Smith, not knowing the fruit hadn't been tested, commences to eat it. When they tell him it hadn't been tested, he concludes that they left it there for him to see on purpose. He says that they knew that he would eat it and they'd be rid of him. In his anger, he leaves the camp, but plots their demise. He steals the rest of the water and takes a vital piece of equipment from the water purifier. He buries it where they'll never find it. Instead of dying, the fruit's effect is to make people huge. Debby the blimp also ate of the fruit and she grew huge as well. Maureen finally convinces Dr. Smith to return to the Jupiter Two. She also applies psychology to get him to reveal where he buried the vital piece of equipment. In the end, rain falls and somehow causes Debbie and Dr. Smith to return to normal size.

I loved some of the camera angles in this one. I always enjoyed the night scenes, particularly where Will and Penny were looking for Dr. Smith. I also liked the dramatic scene where Smith enters what he thinks will be his last words onto a tape recorder and buries the tape in a mound. A really effective scene.

Illogical things: To begin with, how is it that the clothes grew in size along with the person? When he wakes up, they don't show him having used giant leaves or something to cover himself up. He is simply wearing the same, albeit much larger, clothes. Also, it is never explained why rainwater reverses the process and causes them to shrink.