Lost in Space

The Reluctant Stowaway

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Sep 15, 1965 on CBS

• As of September 1965, this was awesome!

People seem to forget that "Lost In Space" pre-dated "Star Trek" by one year; Whereas "Star Trek" ratcheted up everyone's awareness of all things Sci-Fi, for 1965-66 "Lost In Space" was the yardstick anything else was measured against and unless you were a grown-up science geek the show was sufficiently believable. Even decades later, the drama of the first half of this episode is excellently conveyed and Jonathan Harris' performance was award worthy! There was none of the campiness of the second and third seasons (I was particularly impressed with his delivery of the Karate chop on the Security guard lol). I didn't get to see this episode until the 1990's and I was taken aback at how serious the tone of the show was. Some of the technology flaws are glaring when viewed today (Tape drives and an analog clock). But even though "Star Trek's" Enterprise was infinitely more capable as a space vehicle, the Jupiter 2's Body type always struck me as the ultimate "Sports Car in Space".
  • review

A real hokey epsiode to start the series with. {Ceratinly the Epsiode O "No where to Hide" would have been much better to start with}. Quite uncharaistic is Smith killing a guard and and throwing his body into a refuse cart where it would be found. {The cart is supposedly under the ship but doesnt even show up on the stage set!} Likewise as a sabateur Smith is buffon; he only sabatoges the mission by his staying aboard by his extra weight; his reprograming the robot only makes the ship go off corse instead of blowing them all up. Lastly there is no explanation as to why he is supposed to sabatoge this mission. {The 1998 movie has Smith trying to sabataoge the mission so that unexplanied interests can control Earth water supply} In short the episode has all the characthcers of a hurridly written script put together at that last minuite. Likewise the Robinsons were never reach Alpha Centuri since it would take at least 100 years to get there from Earth! Still this silly and naive script much better than the movie! Ironically although the series had higher rattings than Star Trek it was Star Trek that did better in reruns! David also wrote for Star trek!}
  • Re-shot Pilot

This is the re-shot pilot where they changed the name of the ship and added Dr. Smith as well as softened the women because back then we couldn't have smart, strong women in a television show. Little did anyone know that this series would take off as strong as it did and for the first season in B/W it was a much more serious and somber show.
  • The best of the best

Well, I just discovered this site and all the feedback and information I can add. I plan to make plenty of comments, reviews, opinions, quotes and such in the months to come. One quick correction from the credits listed above on this site...Byron Morrow and Hoke Howell do NOT obviously appear anywhere during this episode. Don't know what somebody is thinking. I've seen this error before. Byron Morrow and Hoke Howell were guests far away in a Season Three episode entitled, "Time Merchant", which has absolutely nothing to do with this beauty. "The Reluctant Stowaway" is the best the series had to offer. All of classic B&W Season One is one of the very best years in television history. It's all galactic, out of this world adventure. Nothing in the series, or many other series, can approach this greatness. This is my input #1!

The elite of the elite..the granddaddy of them all..the yardstick of success..the 10 of 10s..and it all occurred a mere forty-seven years ago on this very evening.. 8-)

10.0

• Three cast member listings for this episode are incorrect.

This is one of the best series pilots Irwin Allen ever produced. After years of watching the color antics of Smith and the robot, this episode comes as a real shock. It's fast paced, well acted and has great music. Truly a 10+ episode.

I need to point out, however, that this episodes list of guest stars is incorrect. You have Byron Morrow as Gen. Squires and Hoke Howell as Rogers listed. However, they are not in this episode, they are in The Time Merchant in season 3. You do have Hal Torey listed as a General, which is correct, but he is the only one.

Also, Irwin Allen is listed as The Voice of the President. This is also wrong, since Ford Rainey, who plays the president, was not dubbed over. It's his own voice. The only voice over Irwin did was announcing the president: "Ladies and gentlemen...the president of the United States!"

Thanks.
  • Good scifi shows always have good(ish) science behind them, Lost in Space isn't one of them.

Growing up with this show I could never get over the bad science that destroyed any enjoyment of the show.

The Jupiter 2's computer cannot compensate for the additional weight of an extra person yet the much smaller robot displays computing power far greater than any supercomputer (full automation, voice recognition, ability to identify danger before a human, etc).

The Jupiter 2 is travelling to Alpha Centuri, the closest star to our sun when it goes off course. Each episode has them land on a planet, presumably between Earth and Alpha Centuri, which has its own star, its own individual life form (no ecosystems seem to be neccessary) and a breathable atmosphere.

Half of scifi is the fiction element but good scifi keeps the fiction within the realms of possibility.
  • The reluctant stowaway Great episode!

Perhaps an expedition like the Robinson family towards a planet in Alpha Centauri system will happen some day, something in about one hundred years or more, but of course not in 1997! This storyline is perfect, because today we know that Alpha Centauri system of three stars is among the most likely candidates beyond the solar system to shelter life like ourselves. The two main stars (Alpha Centauri A and B) are very like our Sun in all of their features and they are the closest (about four light-years) from us. Unfortunately, we don't know still whether the stellar system has planets orbiting around it or not. Likely, giant planets like Jupiter or Saturn don't exist, because otherwise they would be discovered by our nowadays technology. However, the existence of smaller planets like the Earth could exist, because we don't have still the technology needed to discover them. By another side, the lack of giant planets would limit the time of existence of life, because the protection against the impact of meteors (like that one which has extinguished the dinosaurs in Earth) would be missing (we exist today due to the protection of giant planets like Jupiter). This is an answer that only time will say!
    The only inconsistence in this episode, in my opinion, is to send only one family (a couple with three sons) and a man to colonize an unknown planet. The correct would be to send three families or more genetically different among them, in order to avoid troubles with later offspring. The spaceship must be much greater than the Jupiter 2 for this purpose as well!
  • easily the very best episode of the complete series - sadly it was all down hill after this! still - i love it all!

this is easily the very best episode of the complete series - sadly it was all down hill after this - still i love it all! y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y yes i do!
  • Retooled with a robot and Johnathan Harris.

This is actually the second pilot episode -- tinkered with two more characters that send the series into orbit. Johnathan is dark and creepy and it was nice to leave out what country he was working for. You have to suspend a little belief here -- no final check to ensure everyone is not on board! There is also the problem of mass. To have such a technological temperment that 200 lbs could so drastically effect the ship is a bit hard to believe but it resolves a plot line in the episode. The use of excellent NASA shots really grabbed me. In Star trek the photos were of basically white lights against a black screen and never worked. In Lost in Space we see galaxies (which are a bit hard to believe considering you haven't left the Solar system yet but they look great. Everyone is in top form with fantastic effects and Johnny Williams providing the score. Nice start.