Lost in Space

Visit to a Hostile Planet

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Sep 13, 1967 on CBS

• This is my favorite of the final season

6.9
    Simply put, Season Three has already reached my very #1 top-ranked episode of the season. "Visit To A Hostile Planet" is pretty much a solid rock-hard exciting classic for me. As the older members may recall, "Visit To A Hostile Planet" was the very favorite episode of Wyoming Rosset ("Wy," or "The Midnight Cowboy"). Wyoming taught a college writing class. He would play this episode to the students, stop it right near the end, around the release of the cannon part, turn it off, and have the students write their own ending. I always thought that was an awesome idea, and how I wish I had been in Wyoming's class! 8-]

Anyway..I have heard of a few 'casual fans' who remember LOST IN SPACE from their childhood who mention this episode as one they recall as a very favorite. It certainly IS an episode that can be easily remembered years later. I have also heard other fans who like to 'dis' this episode for being a bit too 'goofy,' 'silly,' or whatever, as far as the local Green Acres-like townsfolk are concerned. To those fans, I will say what I usually say (or think) when the same people like to 'dis' Season Two in general for being too silly or goofy.."Get over it lol!" This far into the series is surely a far cry from the good old B&W days, so you take what you can get. This episode is also a good example as to why I would never use 'silliness' as a yardstick in grading episodes. It has probably a bit more 'silliness' than the previous episode, the season kickoff, "Condemned Of Space," yet it is a notch or two better.

In one of the old videos about the show (perhaps LOST IN SPACE FOREVER, 1998), June Lockhart, while narrating, called this a 'defining moment', or a 'big moment' for the Robinsons..landing back on Earth and all. I would agree. Besides an excellently written episode from Peter Packer, and an excellently directed episode from Sobey Martin (whom we had only heard from just one time in Season Two since the B&W glory days), probably the two things that stand out and make this episode a huge winner for me is the excellent and very interesting outdoor location shooting, and especially the almost chilling, great and final wrap/finish to the story, as we first get a glimpse of the Jupiter 2 spaceship flying through the blue sky, and then rising through atmosphere (right after Stacy and Craig's exchange about flying saucers) to get away from..earth! This episode had one of the very few (four of them) really good endings to a Season Three episode. I will note the others when they come up. Yes, the ending to this episode can actually send chills up and down my spine. I certainly cannot say that about many colored episodes for sure.

Speaking of Craig (Robert Pine), if you look at his credits at imdb, you will notice that this appearance in LOST IN SPACE was just about the very first thing he did..pretty much the beginning of his career.

6.9