Lost in Space

Welcome Stranger

Aired Wednesday 7:30 PM Oct 20, 1965 on CBS

6.7
  • Hmmmm

This is where we start having guest star arrive every other week. I swear there were more lost people floating around space in the 60's A cowboy space traveller is lost as well and he comes by to Robinson's camp and has his eye set on Judy. His ship also needs repairs and John makes a deal with him to take the youngest children with him on his way back to Earth.

Of course Dr. Smith fouls up things and the children don;t leave with Hapgood and the family is once again happy...
  • This episode marks the first real episode of the series and begins to set the campy tone.

3.4
    After all those episodes of high drama and dramatic tension, apparently it was found it was time to get silly. This could have been a more interesting episode had the character of the cowboy through space been fleshed out a bit more. Instead we have a stereotype with flat dialog and slow pacing. The plot is interesting as a vehicle for family separation and sacrifice. Imagine having the cold reality slapped into the faces of Professor Robinson reminding him that space is not a picnic. Our texan, tears into the Robinson family for their choices and I don't blame him on that. The Robinsons in return show him nothing but compassion and understanding which adds to the stupidity of the show. The action sequence is the attack of the Venus flytrap. Thank goodness for the bug dusters! Oh well, this is made up for in the next episode which is the last non-camp episode of the first season.
  • Wellcome Stranger Tersiog

1.1
    I think Mr Irwin Allen has lost with this episode an excellent opportunity to make up this show one of the best yet produced, a show ranking with Twilight Zone for example. This episode was very different from the first five episodes, with the sudden appearing of a "space cowboy" just in the same place where the Robinson family landed! In the first five episodes, a more serious approach (a more "realistic fiction') of the show occurred.
    Firstly, this would be a very, very unlikely event, considering the billions of stars and planets existent in the Universe. Even in a fiction show, a minimum of plausibility must exist!
    Secondly, the spaceship where the "cowboy" was traveling is very small (even the Jupiter 2 is very small) for so long distance from the Earth, perhaps several light years away. This would require a giant spaceship, as the Enterprise of Startrek, in order to provide all the material resources (and the speed as well) needed.
    Thirdly, only one person traveling by so long distance is very unreal. As human beings, we need help of other humans, mainly in situations like this one.
    Lastly, where the fuel for later travels of this 'cowboy' came from? So fantastic capability would be used for the Robinson family leave the planet!
  • It's fun to see Warren Oats, the episode isn't all that bad, but it has too many weak points to the story.

This episode has interesting camera angles, especially at the end when the camera towers far above Dr. Smith as he pleads for Hapgood to come back and take him to earth.

I liked some of the scenes, such as the scene where Will and Penny are upset about having to leave mom and dad and go with Jimmy Hapgood, and Smith uses his trickery to get the kids to run away. I also liked the scene where Hapgood tells John that he's not lost on some highway back home, he's way out yonder, and space doesn't take kindly to family outings. The episode centers around Jimmy Hapgood, a fellow lost astronaut who seems to be basically wandering around the universe, just as lost as the Robinsons are. We are told that he was on a Saturn mission in the 1980s, he might have looked in on the wrong star, and he got himself lost. The illogical parts start when John explains that Hapgood can easily get to earth with the Astrogator on the Jupiter 2. The intelligent John Robinson and the smart Don West don't seem to have realized that the astrogator is way too big to fit on Hapgood's ship. Hapgood saves that part of the scene by mentioning this. The illogical thing here: How is it that a seemingly major piece of equipment on a ship whose payload was calculated to a fraction of an ounce can so easily be sacrificed? In the first episode, it's clear the Don is the only one who can pilot the ship. In this episode, we suddenly have John talking as though he's an expert on all aspects of flying the Jupiter 2, including determining what equipment is and isn't needed.

The next illogical piece comes when John wants Hapgood to take Will and Penny back to earth with him. Did they pay any attention to Traveling Man (Hapgood's ship)? John quickly explains that this could be done by saying there'd be more than enough room for Will and Penny if they pulled Hapgood's ballast tanks! Come on!! That ship is barely big enough for Hapgood, ballast tanks or no! The idea that more than one person can fit in that little ship is preposterous! Even Hapgood, who notices that the astrogator is too big, doesn't notice that his ship can't handle more than one person? Let's not get into the somewhat silly "operation" that Smith performs on the robot. While not totally ridiculous, did they have to make it look like he was in an O.R., operating on a human?