Lost

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 18, 2009 on ABC

• We're not going to Guam, are we?

Frank Lapidus: We're not going to Guam, are we?

Best single line of dialogue in Lost ever.
  • We finally do get there, but it's not fun for anybody

At the time this episode aired, I was really excited about it. And after the teaser, I was beginning to think we were getting somewhere. But now that we near the end, it really seems like a lot of what we got in '316' was nothing but a great big teaser--- promising answers and giving none.

In the opening minutes, Mrs. Hawking takes those who showed up to yet another Dharma station, located at the basement of the church: the Lamppost. Then she gives a brief lecture (done while dodging a pendulum; very impressive I'll admit) about how the Dharma Initiative founded and how they searched for the island. Problem is, we never got a follow through on any of it. How did they find about the island in the first place? How did they come with the equation? Who was the clever man who came up with it? These questions were never answered, and looking back on it, that's objectionable. Then Desmond, who's been observing this as if he were the only sane man in the asylum (which he is, actually) says he can't believe they want to go back to the island. Furthermore, when he tells Hawking that her son is in grave danger, she doesn't even look surprised. Then he tells them he lost four years of his life (actually, it's three plus a couple of months, but still...) because of this woman, and that they're just pieces in a game, and no one reacts. The only person who seems disturbed is Hawking, who tells him the island isn't done with him, something Desmond just shrugs off before storming out. I got to admit, even now, I'm still with Des, but he didn't know what was coming next for him. Hell, why is Eloise doing all this, if she never had any intention of going to the island with them?

Finally, Hawking tells them they have to go back on Ajira Flight 316, and they must--- to the best of their ability--- recreate the flight. For Jack, this means he has to take Locke's body as a proxy for his father's and must put something of Christian's on it. Then we get yet another tease--- Jack is drinking in a bar, and he gets a call from the rest home where his grandfather Ray has just tried to make a little run from. (It should be noting, though, in this scene, Jack gets a long much better with Ray then he ever did with his father.) While unpacking he finds a pair of Christian's shoes, and takes them with him. Again, we thought that there was something significant about Ray since he was part of the Shephard line, like Aaron. But since it seems clear that Aaron was yet another red herring, it doesn't seem like this meant anything either (though through it, we did at least solve the mystery of why Christian was always seen on the island in tennis shoes)

Speaking of Aaron, Kate shows up at Jack's house, exhausted and without Aaron. She tells Jack that she's willing to go with him, but refuses to say why or what she has done with Aaron. They have sex, but there's no passion it at all. We'll find out what shifted Kate's thinking later in the season, but her role will be that of more of skeptic--- she's becoming Jack, and Jack's starting to think like Locke.

As always, the most memorable confrontation in this episode comes between Jack and Locke, even though at the time Locke is in a coffin. Somehow, Hawking has Locke's suicide note (again, no explanation as to how she got it) and gives it to Jack, for it is addressed to him. Jack doesn't want to open. Then, despite everything he's been through the last few months, despite everything that has led him to this moment, he has these doubts, and apparently can't resist one last chance to talk down to his greatest opponent. Even after putting Christian's shoes on Locke's feet, he can't resist the urge and puts it on Locke's body. Then, due to distraction at the claims desks, the notes ends up back in his hands again. Finally, hours later, he opens it. All it has are seven words: "Jack, I wish you had believed me." The amount of shock that just rolls over his face is astonishing. Even though he was dead at the moment of their confrontation, Locke still managed to get the last word in.

At Ajira, Sayid and Hurley both show up, only Sayid is in handcuffs, and is being guarded by a mysterious woman. Hurley is there, carrying a guitar case (we don't know how it got there), and he is very careful to buy up every empty seat on the flight. He may not be fully committed to this, but he doesn't want anyone else to die.

Hanging over this like a shadow, as always, is Ben. He says next to nothing at the Lamppost, and then we see him with his hands folded at an altar in the church (I'd say he was praying, but I don't think Ben believes in anything.) He tells the story of Thomas the apostle to Jack, telling him that belief is the hardest thing of all, and he may be honest about this, but I'm betting his mind is elsewhere. After all, his last words are to say that he's going to 'tie up a loose end', and since he just saw Desmond, he knows Penny Widmore is nearby. We don't see the confrontation, but judging from the condition he's in when he gets on the plane (honestly, if Ben doesn't look beat-up during a season, it just looks wrong) , things may have worked against him. But considering all the epic effort he put in to getting them to this moment, he seems remarkably blasé by the time the flight is airborne. When Jack asks him what happens to the other passengers when they hit their window, he simply says: "Who cares?" Ben has apparently stopped giving a damn about innocent bystanders after what happened to Alex. And ten hours into the flight, he's calmly and coolly reading Ulysses. (That's a book that I wouldn't read no matter how long the flight) When Jack, who is nervous as hell, asks how he can read, he answers, "My mother taught me," which is, of course, another lie. (Ben's mother died in childbirth.) Considering he's about to return to an island he's spent years trying to get back too, how can he be so calm?

They may be trying to recreate Oceanic 815, and there are certain elements. Jack is in a suit with a body in tow. Kate is wearing a jacket that looks like the one she was wearing on the plane. Sayid is in handcuffs, which makes up for Kate being free. Sun is along, but has Jin's wedding ring (a stand in). Hurley is carrying a guitar case, which may stand-in for Charlie, and is reading a Spanish comic book, like he was on the plane (or it could be a stand in for Walt) And who is flying this particular plane? Frank Lapidus, who's cleaned up since the freighter. (He may not be a believer yet, but he knows something's up: when he sees Jack and the others on this plane, he utters the classic line, "We're not going to Guam are we?" Well put.)
    Then, ten hours in, they hit some turbulence. Hurley has the presence of mind to tell the other passengers, "you might want to buckle up." There is a flash of light--- and Jack wakes up the jungle. Hurley and Kate are there, but there's no sign of the plane, Sayid, Sun, Ben, or any other passengers. Then they hear music, and a van with the Dharma sign drives over--- and it's being driven by Jin. What the heck?

A lot of the questions that come to mind are never going to be answered, which ultimately makes '316', despite the appearance of revelations, something of a disappointment in what has been a strong season so far. There were so many loose end, that despite the final revelation (which I have to say, was a lot more of what I'd come to expect of J.J. Abrams other show Alias) made me feel that we'd killed a lot of time, when we could've got some frigging answers. Mrs. Hawking had been such a promising character, but her role in this series would never be adequately explained. What makes the episode work at all is Matthew Fox's performance. Some people complained that Jack was always the hardest character of the group to get behind, but there are few actors who could have seemed so brilliant as him in scene after scene. From the look of hope on his face when he awakens in the jungle to the one of despair when he opens Locke's suicide note, this was Emmy worthy work. We're about to make an even longer trip than we thought, and he's not going to be at all where he thought he would.
    My score:8
  • Best lost episode ever

Best lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode ever
  • THAT was amazing!

lost is the best and most creative show that has ever been on television. THis season is yet another example of fine acting, writing etc. In the episode 316 Jack gets an amazing letter from Locke and Ben quite possibly has killed someone. 316 brings all of the oceanic 6 back together finally and they also have an old friend back in Frank Lapidus. They are all finally back to the island thanks to eloise and ben in which is where they are found by Jin in a Dharma initiative outfit. I absolutely love lost and cannot await next weeks episode!
  • Why is LOST the best show on television. oh my gosh how awesome was this episode?? so much has happened. they are back! they are Finally BACK

This is episode was great I enjoyed every single part of it. how very unexpecting who ever thought that they are gonna be back on the island on this episode. Anywways that doesnt matter it was just perfect.

But so many questions are running in my mind. Like how does faraday mother knows soo much? what did jacks dad mean about the letter? what made the plane crash? (lol i still dont get that) are there any other survivors of the plane? why was Jin wearing Dharma Initiative?

But as of now all i can say is why on gods green earth is lost able to amaze me every single episode with glorious revelations of men, women and planes?
  • Victory Is Mine!

I have come to this site week in and week out for the last five weeks writing reviews that I knew were going to get smashed. "This Place Is Death" got an amazing 4 Thumbs Up and 40 Thumbs Down. "The Little Price" got 3 Thumbs Up and 27 Thumbs Down. This week - I don't think I'll have any problems with the Thumbs Down. I loved this episode from start to finish. This was the episode I was waiting for. I have been critical of the first couple of episodes of this season but this episode had everything in it that I love about Lost. They have established that they are going to go back to a flashback formula - which is amazing to me! Hurley comes out of nowhere and wants to go back to the island. Kate somehow shows up without Aaron and then wants to go to the island. Ben gets the crap kicked out of him, but still gets to the island. Sayid is arrested and is on the plane back to the island. I count at least four flashbacks in that group. Not to mention that the plane crash is sure to have some survivors that we will be introduced to. Maybe? The plane went back in time so it will be interesting to see what happens to the rest of the survivors that weren't on the island before. It seems they were dropping us some hints with the guy that Jack bumped into and who Hurley told to put his seatbelt on. I think he might be apart of the show now. The establishing of mysteries really made this episode standout and the beginning of the episode was also really well done. Hawking explains everything to Sun, Jack, Ben, and Desmond. These scenes were really long, descriptive, and we got some answers. I loved the "That's why they call it a leap of faith" line delivered by Hawking. The only "whatever" part of the episode was the four minute long scene between Jack and his Grandfather. Some people have said that they thought it was cool to meet more of Jack's family, I never really thought I would meet any of them so I would have prefered Jack going back to his apartmennt, finding the shoes and then discovering Kate. Thus giving us a couple of extra minutes. But I mean if one scene is all I'm complaining about then I'm a very happy person. Great episode, loved every minute of it.
  • First episode of Season 5 to get a 10 from ME! That was GREAT!!!!

Wow, what can I say? I am still not over how amazing this episode was. I don't know what to say. It was simply amazing.

Ms. Hawking scenes were excellent. Love the way she looks and talks, fits perfectly to Lost. But some of the things never got answers to which was disappointing but not all that noticeable next to the great story lines: like how the heck did Hurley get out of the nut house and knew about the plane? lol! I guess we might get the answer in the next few weeks.

What I loved especially was Jack waking up in the jungle with his big lovely eyes on the screen - such a dejavu. I felt like I was watching the pilot. I wonder what really happened to them? The plane couldn't have crashed. They didn't even get a strach on themselves. When they were close to the island, they obviously, as we saw, flashed through time and landed on the island.

The most anticipating story line of this season is next week's episode. Can't wait! I will miss the Oceanic 6. They'll probably reunite with the whole gang (Sawyer, Juliet, vs...) in the 8th episode. :)

2 thumbs up to the greatest lost season EVER!!! :)
  • Getting better, but still not Lost-quality yet.

This was a pretty good episode of Lost. At points it definitely dragged, but they were smart for basically hit the reset button and bringing everybody back to the island. While I doubt the show will ever achieve its Season 1 greatness this is certainly a step in the right direction.

It was a breath of fresh air to finally have an episode without Daniel Faraday running out screaming, "Not where we are, but when we are!" or Locke being Locke. Not that I don't enjoy those things, but we needed more Jack, Ben and Hurley and we certainly got that tonight. Ben's response to Jack's query, "How can you read?" "My mother taught me," was so deliciously sarcastic and that smart, subtle humor is what this show has been missing this season.

For the first time in awhile I am really looking forward to next week's episode. It seems hard for Lost to screw things up now, and let us hope they do not.
  • Do they really return? If so, how? That's for you to see, in this wonderful episode that is '316'.

It's pretty amazing how, lately in this show, almost every episode leaves me with a sense of 'there's no way they can top that', but somehow they (almost) always do. This episode was no exception. From the beginning, it gives you a bit of a slap in the face to make sure you stay focused for what's to come. Because you'll need it. I admit that, this season, Lost is becoming quite hard to follow. But it's worth the effort once you really get into it. It doesn't give as much answers as one would hope, but I feel like it gives us enough. After this very episode, I am intellectually satisfied while, at the same time, the sense of thrill keeps me going. And that's what Lost really always has been about to me. Yes, we want answers, but, in the meantime, we go on this wonderful and crazy journey to a place we've never thought of before. That's enough for me at this time. And '316' lived up to that purpose.
  • Welcome back to the Island.

This episode blew me away, and not because it was so action packed or full of reveals. It blew me away because it brought back the essence of "old" Lost... the character and amazing dialog that defied the first 2 seasons.

I'm glad the writers chose this approach over the "boom boom bang bang" one, which I feared would happen given how fast paced the show has become.

This episode was a joy. Yes, there are seemingly weird stuff in it(suddenly everyone appearing on the plane), but hello... this is Lost. We'll get flashbacks, I'm very sure about that.

Overall I think 316 is on level with "This Place is Death", but is brilliant for different reasons.
  • We have to go BACK.

They got back. I never thought it would happen so quickly. The episode was amazing from start to finish with all the right elements of intensity, drama, mystery and balls-to-the-walls mythology. Where to begin? Tonight we had: a new dharma hatch off the island; the reunion on board the plane; the disappearance Aaron (Kate's line to Jack was historic); the odes to past characters (Marshal, Charlie); the allusion to the pilot episode; Desmond telling it like it is in typical amazing Desmond fashion; Locke's tragic suicide note; the revelation that Locke killed himself... and, oh yeah, they returned to the fraking Island.

The last 10 minutes could have been an episode all by itself but no, the writers gave us so much more. Everything from the exchange at the pendulum to Jack taking his leap of faith, this was vintage LOST. I fear that Penny is dead. I wonder what happened to Aaron. I am suspicious as to Ben's full role behind puppeteering Sayid, Hurley and Sun's decisions to board the plane. Why did Hurley have the guitar? Why was Sayid with an Air Marshal? Lapidus was the pilot! We're not going to Guam, are we?

Ms. Hawking told Desmond that the Island isn't finished with him yet and he said that he was finished with the Island. Ben told Jack that he was sidetracked and Kate told Jack that she'd go back so long as he never asked about Aaron again. So much was said but perhaps Jack said it best in season 3 when he said we have to go back.

They're back.
  • Even with the Constant. I'm still trying to figure out which one I like more.

This episode had an epic feeling to it. The return of the castaways...epic.

Jack, Kate, Sun, Ben, Hurley, Sayid, and Lapidus all return to island...Caeser and Ilana...well it's there first time, I'm assuming. Jate strengthened a lot in this episode. I'm not a big jate or skate fan...but if I had to choose which man it would be Sawyer. I'm not sure why, no offense Jate fans, either or is great.

Kate and Aaron - What the hell happened to Aaron! A question that I hope is resolved in LaFleur - A Sawyer-centric, and I'm almost certain it will.

What happened to Ben? Why is he bloody? Who was he running from? How is Hurley out of jail? Both questions I'm wondering, and I have a deep feeling in my stomach that they connect somehow.

Sun and Jin reuinon will be epic, as well as the Kate and Sawyer reuinon - if she will even care...

Hurley. He has nobody to look forward to, really...sadly...maybe Sawyer...maybe Jin?

Overall this episode gets an 11/10!!!
  • Ohhh myy frickin godddd Lost is still the most potent drug!!! simply a 10 out of 10 episode

I didn't have the opportunity to write a review for This place is death (i had a long week last week) but no need, the real credit goes to this weeks installment. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was blown away from the beginning on the island till the end of the episode on the island, and allll that was in between Off the island! too many developments, ms. hawkins continues to intrigue; Ben, jack, hurley, kate and the crew (not enuf sayid this episode) :( all were stellar and i'm more and more hooked by Lost and attached to the characters. That arabic guys gonna be a main character (the one on the plane at the end) he's in Vantage Point with M.Fox and he's also amazing in the Traitor. DESMOND!!!! goo backk!!!! i wonder who and if Ben killed, god i hope its not Penny, but then again it'll make desmond go back for revenge on Ben if thats the case. Sun meets JIn (hopefully) Hurley Ben and Sayid all together LOL and what happened to LOCKE ???(question of the year) Faraday what are you still not telling us??? and Jin with Dharma?!??!?! my heads spinning, i think i need to go out for some smoke :) and digest all of this , Simply put.....a 10 outta 10 episode!!
  • Simply THE reason this show is so captivating and genius!

Okay, here's the deal...I'm clearly a LOST fanatic and the show can barely do any wrong in my mind. Having said that, there have been some seasons, some episodes, that had moments that were kinda boring or useless. Season 5 so far has not had any of these such moments in my opinion. Every single episode has been edge of your seat amazing!

This episode was just fantastic for many reasons, great scene in the church with Daniel's mom, also the "doubting Thomas" scene was an awesome character moment for Jack...but what was so incredible in my mind was how they focused on Jack, the one character who was not conflicted about going back to the Island, in order to create potential flashback intrigue as we go forward. They(writers) brilliantly set up suspense and we now all want to know what happened to Kate and Aaron, how did Hurley arrive at the airport with a guitar when he was in prison? Why is Sayid in handcuffs? What happened to Ben who showed up beaten and bloody? If they had quickly tried to resolve all the issues that the O6 had in finding the personal desire or motivation to get back to the Island, it would have felt forced and it wouldn't have advanced the story as it did. Now the audience is desperate to find out the backstory, which is what makes LOST the amazing story it is...Can't say enough about this episode~~~AWESOME!!
  • All hats down.. The very best LOST hour since Walkabout..

I cant wrap my head around this episode enough on how much it rocked!
    Me and my friends literally sat on the edge of our seats the whole time and sometimes reminding ourselves on how much we love this show!

They have been setting up for this moment since the season finale in season 3..
    And while the episode was like THE christmas gifts of LOST answers/mysteries, opened all at once, it certainly functioned as a new pilot episode for a new chapter in the LOST saga.

New exciting mysteries:

Where are Aaron and Ji Yeon?
    Why is Ben all messed up?
    How did Hurley know about the 316 flight?
    Why are Sayid handcuffed with that woman?
    How did they get on the island/What was that white light?
    Where have Ben, Sayid, Sun, Frank and dead Locke landed on the island?
    Where are the plane and the other passengers?
    Why are Jin in a dharma suit??

I love where this story is heading, and I cant wait to find out!
    Flashforward to next week please... ;P
  • "I wish you had believed in me"...

Im' still in shock with last night episode, i must say that it was amazing!! We found out how are they going to get back to the island. We learn about a Dharma station called the lamppost which purpose is connected to the island location. There is a scene with Kate in the bed which was awesome OMG i WAnT TO KNOW
    what happened to Aaron NOW!! its like he has a mayor destiny so his life is very complicated! Kate, Hurley, why exactly they decided to go back. and who forced Sayid by handcuffs to go back. Everything happened in so little time!!
    And finally Ben !! Ben wanted to go back but before that he wanted to acomplish a promise with an old friend? i hope he didnt! PENNY!!!!! and well the end is way too awesome!! Questions unanswered: Desmond? Walt? where are they?, What was the promise Sawyer made to Kate? How much time has it passed in the island since they got out? Why Jin is in a Dharma costume?
  • The Oceanic 6 find out how to get back to the island.

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. I think that this episode was definitely one of the best episodes ever of Lost. This was also definitely one of the most exciting episodes ever of Lost too. I absolutely did not expect for them to actually get back to the island in this episode. I was really surprised that they got back to the island in this episode. I didn't see that coming at all. I thought that this episode raised a lot of really interesting questions about how the Oceanic 6 all ended up on the same plane, and I hope that the writer's plan on answering them in episodes later on in the season. All in all, I thought that this was an extremely well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.
  • My first perfect 10 for a season 5 episode. I cannot believe that this show can actually get better every week.

What can I say? This has got to be my favorite episode since The Constant, maybe even better. We get more answers in this one than I think we've ever gotten in a single episode. Jack is finally starting to believe, and somehow almost all the original people who left end up on 316. When clean-shaven Lapidus stepped out and said "We're not going to Guam, are we?", I actually got giddy with excitement and almost felt like pumping my fist. Overall, this episode brought back that same fascination I felt in season 1, and it feels good to have everyone back together on the Island.
  • If you could call it Jack-centric, this episode thankfully, goes back to what makes this show great: character study.

I laughed a bit at Jack's reaction to Locke's suicide note. Matthew Fox is a fine actor, but he relies on that one "Oh my God, I'm shocked into jittering" expression way too much.

As usual, great episode. Jack going through the (e)motions of trying to get everyone back together, the guilt for what's happened- and trying once again to right his wrongs and save the day; 316 is another good example of all the character's best and worst traits. I'm glad LOST hasn't completely forgotten the complexities that make these people interesting.

Favorite moment: Lapidus' reveal. I actually missed that guy. I was surprised and pleased to see him back.
  • Most of the O-6 meet in a church hiding a pendulum made by the Dharma initiative to find the island. The pendulum is worked by Faraday's mother, of course called Hawkings. They then get tickets plane going to Guam in a hurry and get back to the island.

I still like the show, but thank god for DVR because it is to absurd to get me to lose my 8 hours sleep anymore. They clearly had no direction writing them off the island and now had to get into all this electro magnetic pocket nonsense. to get them back. What in the world were they talking about. I can respect Sci-Fi but this was absurd and had no basis in Sci-Fi even. Further Ben had always left and found the island before, why was he worried about being on the plane? In addition, wasn't Aaron part of O-6? Except Hurley and Jack's too late question, do they really not care about the other people on the plane? What I did like, the Hawkings actress was creepy, Ben reading Joyce made me think the writers absurdism, the doubting Thomas, Church scenes and 316 reference all added a nice touch of mystery. I like that Sayid now was in handcuffs to mimic Kate in the pilot.
  • Welcome to the island !Population:Unknown.Time:Unknown.

It's difficult for me to write this review cause I am speachless.I can't seem to understand how can every Lost episode be better than the last one.This season is awesome and we are not even on the half of it. In the end every Oceanic Six (except Aaron) and Ben end up in the plane to Guam or maybe to a much more scary place : the island. I liked the idea of the similarity to the 815 flight.Sayid took Kate's place as a prisoner , Hugo took a guitar (maybe Charlie's) and Locke was the dead man instead of doctor Shepard oh and Frank Lapidus is the pilot.
  • Destiny, coursecorrecting... agaist Ben's ego.

Amazing episode which reminds everyone, why we're watching LOST all these years. The scenario is great. The way LOST goes on... makes the expected, to be unexpected.

In the end we saw Jin in Dharma bus, and he was wearing Dharma uniform. I said "WTF?" but then i realised that we are at 2008 and the island is still flashing. Maybe during a flash that we haven't seen, Jin found the bus and the uniform, and carried the items with him... in the same way Locke carried the compass, and Faradey carried the Zodiac.

Im this episode... we learned a little more about the significancy of Locke's transition. Locke who is wearing Christian's shoes, is a coursecorrecting, unless Ben did something we don't know when Ajira employees checked the coffin. Ben looks so calm in the airplane, and i don't think he's been given up to destiny. Maybe he has prepared something for his own good, and he'll f*ck up the plan once more :)

We have 28 episodes till the end, and many twists to come.

For example the new passenger... who is he? Surely not a simple traveller!

A big 10 from me
  • Not bad...

I'm not sure about anyone else but I didn't like that part at the first and then they have us go back 46 hours earlier to see how everything happend. It is neat at times to piece everything together. I did like the little homage to The very first episode when Jack woke up on the island, that was pretty neat. This show seems to make more question than answer them, like who in the heck beat the crap out of Ben? What happend to aaron? things like that. But at the end of the day this episode was really great the way they had to go back, and my theory is that they were just transported off the plane instead of crashing it. That makes sense, somewhat. I was a little disappointed that Desmond didn't go with them but hopefully he will turn up again. Next week I'm really looking forward to as we see Locke's story and what happend leading up to the events of his death.
  • Wow

Amazing! One of the best episodes ever! Wow. I have no idea what to even write. but i sure hope Ben is not dead! and Im kinda mad locke is still alive, but whatever ill live. i cant wait till next week! This season will be amazing. does anyone think that they will live among the dharma initiative for the rest of the season? and they cant go all the way back to the proper time till they somehow get desmond to help? who beat up desmond? what happened to aaron? where is everyone else? so good! omg omg omg
  • The Oceanic Six learn that they must return to the island to save their friends and find the way that they must do it.

This episode did what "Lost" has often done best. Answer a few questions while bringing up about 20 new ones. It's the love and frustration that this show brings out in its many faithful and this episode was one of the biggest examples of that. An entire episode based off of the island, focused on the Oceanic Six and their associates, a story that left so many threads out that the questions just pile up. They may not be series-shaking questions (except maybe where Aaron is and whether Ben was bloody because he fulfilled his previous promise to Widmore, please no!) It's been a strong season for Lost, even with an entirely new format and set up. This episode easily continued that with its numerous twists and turns and from the looks of things, next week's episode may be just as good if not better. My only problem with the preview? Spoiler Warning Spoiler Warning SPOILER WARNING: Why oh why oh why did they have to spoil that JL has risen back from the dead? Thanks a bunch abc.
  • The gang goes back to the island!

Just when I thought that Lost couldn't get any better, they come up with an amazing episode. We all know that they are going to go back to the island - but they way they put it together is brilliant. Each character has their own different reason for being on that plane and I'm sure we'll be told in future episodes in "flash-back" type episodes, like we had in the first seasons.

We were told that the situation on this plane needed to be similar to what it was on the first plane that crashed.
    These are the similarities I noted:
    1) The most obvious, Jack's father's shoes inside a coffin
    2) A guitar (Charlie had it in the first crash - now Hugo has one)
    3) A prisoner and an FBI agent (And I'm sure a suitcase was there)(one male and one female)
    And I'm sure there were others.

Of the people that were supposed to be there, but weren't seen on the plane: only Aaron. Desmond was never on the plane although that doesn't explain why Lupitas was the pilot for this flight.

I'm sure we'll find out what happened to them before the end of the season. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season - it's been fantastic so far.
  • Back to the island

The episode starts off in the right direction, with the revelation that at least some of the Oceanic Six have survived the return to the island. The initial headcount is a bit surprising: Hurley and Kate were not among those standing in the room when Mrs. Hawking explained the transient nature of the island and how they all might return. By the end of the episode, that initial mystery is still left unsolved, which is sure to be a point of contention.

It wouldn't be the only one. For some reason, this episode felt a bit disconnected from the flow of the season thus far. Perhaps it has something to do with the decision to air this episode a little bit out of order; the next episode was originally intended to air first. Time will only tell if it would have made a compelling difference, but this episode just didn't have the same kinetic spark.

It might have been the intense focus on Jack. No episode this season has been as focused on a single character. It's something of a return to more familiar waters, and that will hold its comforts, but is Jack really the right character to give this kind of focus? His journey in this episode is not particularly interesting, and seems designed to facilitate a distinct lack of information regarding the decisions and experiences of the rest of the Oceanic Six gang during those final 36 hours.

Even the mythological explanations seemed a bit mundane. The need to have all the Oceanic Six on the plane, ready to return to the island, seemed like it had a very specific context relative to the secrets of the island. That's still true, but it's less well-defined and a bit too vague as presented. The trick, it seems, is to arrive at the time-specific location of the island (or close enough proximity) under conditions as similar to the original arrival. It is the parallelism rule that demanded as many of the Oceanic Six as possible; not something necessarily specific to those individuals.

For whatever reason, this amounts to using Locke as a "proxy" for Jack's father. That doesn't preclude the notion that Jacob will take possession of Locke's form once the body returns, but it is a lot less interesting a reason to bring Locke than one might have hoped. And while Jack certainly struggles with his faith in the plan and the island (as one would expect Jack to do), the questions surrounding other characters seem a lot more interesting in comparison.

Kate's decision is possibly the most enigmatic and compelling, because it pertains to Aaron. Kate was warned by some spectral version of Claire to ensure that Aaron never went back to the island, and she seems to have kept that promise. But why wouldn't she want Jack to know where Aaron was taken, even after they returned to the island? Despite sleeping with Jack, her attitude on the day of the flight is remote, to say the least. It's typical Kate, which just begs the question: what is she running from this time? (And does it have anything to do with what Sawyer asked her to do on the helicopter in "There's No Place Like Home"?)

In Ben's case, it seems that his comments about being banished from the island were premature. Maybe he never imagined that he could find the island once he moved it. In the end, it's not particularly important; Jacob will sort things out in the end, anyway. But his last minute business had some obvious and troubling overtones. He called Jack from the docks, which is exactly the kind of place that Desmond's yacht would have been. That implies that he might have made his move on Penny Widmore, knowing that he might never have another chance. Nothing is certain, but things aren't looking good for Mr. Hume's family right now.

The other characters were either sidelined or came out of the blue. Sun's conversion doesn't address the rather important matter of her daughter, which is disconcerting. Sayid's return mirrors Kate's original circumstance on Oceanic 815, and he seemed surprised (and then resigned) when he saw the others. The new passenger, Caesar, seems too well-positioned (much like the new marshal, Ilana) to be a simple extra, but his purpose is completely unknown at the moment.

Only Hurley's presence seems to point to some island-based demand that the Oceanic Six return to the island. This could easily tie into Hurley's visitation by "Charlie" in "The Beginning of the End". There's evidence that this was really Jacob, communicating the need for Hurley and the rest to return to the island for the same reasons they are now. Given that Hurley is carrying a guitar (presumably in Charlie's stead), it's reasonable to assume that "Charlie" paid Hurley another visit.

By showing that the Oceanic Six (or at least some of them) made it back to the island, much of the tension of the situation was strangely undercut. Then again, there was never much doubt that they would return to the island anyway, so perhaps it didn't make much of a difference. What is interesting, however, is the revelation that Flight 316 crossed over the island during a time flash, apparently aligning at least some of the returnees with the rest of the tribe.

And that tribe appears to be, as predicted, in the 1970s Dharma Initiative era. This aligns with the season premiere, and Jin's apparent role in security suggests that some or all of the tribe have infiltrated Dharma. It may also mean that bringing back the Oceanic Six may not have meant the automatic end to the time flashes. If so, the body count may continue to rise.
  • The Eye is back :)

Summary on start I can say this episode is good like "This Place is Death" maybe even better but I am not sure, anyway "316" is nice episode. I think everyone knew the "Oceanic Six"( precisely O5 because Aaron don`t back) back to Island in this episode but method how that made was really , really nice :) In "316" fan`s to get a lot of curious situation`s. New station the lantern ? What the hell is with Ben ?? :O Who beating him or with who he has a fight ?? Jin is in Dharma Initiative... rofl. Are we can to overlook Jack is back to the leader when he back on the island ? Of course not he`s made for being on this island. John Locke even when he is death his role in this serial is huge , really now I waiting for his resurrection and of course episode number seven "The life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" :) 10/10

God Bless Lost.
  • Powerful episode where the oceanic 6 finally get back to the island.

Although I am itching to know what's going on with the folks who were left on the island, this almost entirely off-island episode was very exciting and intriguing. Eloise was really creepy and powerful, the way she persuaded Jack what he had to do. Of course once they got back things were never going to be straightforward. The fact that Aaron did not appear to be on the flight must have repercussions for the whole plot, though. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens when the whole group is reunited again. The next episode should be absolutely fantastic.
  • One of the series best!!

This episode was seamless and it, like all of season 5 so far, has been able to expand the show by leaps and bounds in terms of epic scale, character progress, and most of all mythology, and still stay true to it's origins. This episode did all that better than anything the show has produced since season one as the set up brilliantly created mystery surrounding the O6's "lost night" before the return to the Island. This will be told in flashbacks as the writers keep all storytelling options they have introduced so far on the table.
    Riveting...I Loved it!