Lost

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 18, 2009 on ABC

• Getting better, but still not Lost-quality yet.

This was a pretty good episode of Lost. At points it definitely dragged, but they were smart for basically hit the reset button and bringing everybody back to the island. While I doubt the show will ever achieve its Season 1 greatness this is certainly a step in the right direction.

It was a breath of fresh air to finally have an episode without Daniel Faraday running out screaming, "Not where we are, but when we are!" or Locke being Locke. Not that I don't enjoy those things, but we needed more Jack, Ben and Hurley and we certainly got that tonight. Ben's response to Jack's query, "How can you read?" "My mother taught me," was so deliciously sarcastic and that smart, subtle humor is what this show has been missing this season.

For the first time in awhile I am really looking forward to next week's episode. It seems hard for Lost to screw things up now, and let us hope they do not.
  • It was not bad.

I wasn't too crazy about this episode. The writers, either they are the most brilliant people this world has ever seen or they keep making up crap and hope that we will tune in to watch it. The oceanic six are all on a plane back to the island and incidenatly Sayid,Hurley and Frank are all on it too. Something happened to Araon but we don't know what it is and Jack and Kate sleep together. Many fans have been waiting for something to happen between Jack and Kate but couldn't we have had a sex scene instead of a makeout scene ? That was one thing I disliked about this episode. Another thing I didn't like was the fact the writers keep giving us new questions about what's going on. Jack giving Locke who is dead, something that belonged to his father didn't make sense and added a dash of stupidity to the somewhat " CRAZY " storyline but since I have faith in the writers, I will have to wait and see how things turn out. The episode ended with Jin in a Dharma station suit and a gun in his hand pointed at Kate,Jack and Hurley.
  • Back to the island

The episode starts off in the right direction, with the revelation that at least some of the Oceanic Six have survived the return to the island. The initial headcount is a bit surprising: Hurley and Kate were not among those standing in the room when Mrs. Hawking explained the transient nature of the island and how they all might return. By the end of the episode, that initial mystery is still left unsolved, which is sure to be a point of contention.

It wouldn't be the only one. For some reason, this episode felt a bit disconnected from the flow of the season thus far. Perhaps it has something to do with the decision to air this episode a little bit out of order; the next episode was originally intended to air first. Time will only tell if it would have made a compelling difference, but this episode just didn't have the same kinetic spark.

It might have been the intense focus on Jack. No episode this season has been as focused on a single character. It's something of a return to more familiar waters, and that will hold its comforts, but is Jack really the right character to give this kind of focus? His journey in this episode is not particularly interesting, and seems designed to facilitate a distinct lack of information regarding the decisions and experiences of the rest of the Oceanic Six gang during those final 36 hours.

Even the mythological explanations seemed a bit mundane. The need to have all the Oceanic Six on the plane, ready to return to the island, seemed like it had a very specific context relative to the secrets of the island. That's still true, but it's less well-defined and a bit too vague as presented. The trick, it seems, is to arrive at the time-specific location of the island (or close enough proximity) under conditions as similar to the original arrival. It is the parallelism rule that demanded as many of the Oceanic Six as possible; not something necessarily specific to those individuals.

For whatever reason, this amounts to using Locke as a "proxy" for Jack's father. That doesn't preclude the notion that Jacob will take possession of Locke's form once the body returns, but it is a lot less interesting a reason to bring Locke than one might have hoped. And while Jack certainly struggles with his faith in the plan and the island (as one would expect Jack to do), the questions surrounding other characters seem a lot more interesting in comparison.

Kate's decision is possibly the most enigmatic and compelling, because it pertains to Aaron. Kate was warned by some spectral version of Claire to ensure that Aaron never went back to the island, and she seems to have kept that promise. But why wouldn't she want Jack to know where Aaron was taken, even after they returned to the island? Despite sleeping with Jack, her attitude on the day of the flight is remote, to say the least. It's typical Kate, which just begs the question: what is she running from this time? (And does it have anything to do with what Sawyer asked her to do on the helicopter in "There's No Place Like Home"?)

In Ben's case, it seems that his comments about being banished from the island were premature. Maybe he never imagined that he could find the island once he moved it. In the end, it's not particularly important; Jacob will sort things out in the end, anyway. But his last minute business had some obvious and troubling overtones. He called Jack from the docks, which is exactly the kind of place that Desmond's yacht would have been. That implies that he might have made his move on Penny Widmore, knowing that he might never have another chance. Nothing is certain, but things aren't looking good for Mr. Hume's family right now.

The other characters were either sidelined or came out of the blue. Sun's conversion doesn't address the rather important matter of her daughter, which is disconcerting. Sayid's return mirrors Kate's original circumstance on Oceanic 815, and he seemed surprised (and then resigned) when he saw the others. The new passenger, Caesar, seems too well-positioned (much like the new marshal, Ilana) to be a simple extra, but his purpose is completely unknown at the moment.

Only Hurley's presence seems to point to some island-based demand that the Oceanic Six return to the island. This could easily tie into Hurley's visitation by "Charlie" in "The Beginning of the End". There's evidence that this was really Jacob, communicating the need for Hurley and the rest to return to the island for the same reasons they are now. Given that Hurley is carrying a guitar (presumably in Charlie's stead), it's reasonable to assume that "Charlie" paid Hurley another visit.

By showing that the Oceanic Six (or at least some of them) made it back to the island, much of the tension of the situation was strangely undercut. Then again, there was never much doubt that they would return to the island anyway, so perhaps it didn't make much of a difference. What is interesting, however, is the revelation that Flight 316 crossed over the island during a time flash, apparently aligning at least some of the returnees with the rest of the tribe.

And that tribe appears to be, as predicted, in the 1970s Dharma Initiative era. This aligns with the season premiere, and Jin's apparent role in security suggests that some or all of the tribe have infiltrated Dharma. It may also mean that bringing back the Oceanic Six may not have meant the automatic end to the time flashes. If so, the body count may continue to rise.
  • Getting to the island the second time isn't as exciting as the first.

So the episode opened with a very familiar image, and in fact the whole first couple of minutes could've easily been stock footage from the pilot. It was a surprisingly clever way to show that the Oceanic Six (some of them anyway) are back on the island that was handled very well as had the risk of feeling like an unoriginal retread of the first episode. The genius was the small differences, mainly Matthew Fox's subtle way of playing that Jack new exactly where he was. He certainly deserves credit for that one. However unfortunately regardless of MF's high quality as an actor he can't help the fact that Jack's still a bit dull. And this was very much a Jack-centric episode. In fact I can't think of a single scene he wasn't in!

The main reason Jack's backstory is boring is that we've seen so much of it. Despite the way the timeline works now this was still a factor here. We found out that apparently Jack has a Grandfather who's stuck in a care home and hates it. That's all well and good, but despite Ray's story resonating with Jack's and a convenient way to move forward the plot it seemed a bit unnecessary. Another issue I had was that there were two scenes where the cast were doing relatively mundane things that seemed to be stretched out for a bit too long. For example when the group went down to the Dharma "Lighthouse" station we saw every step they all took, despite the fact we'd seen it all at the end of the second episode. While it could be argued it built up the tension, as we already new what they were going to see it felt like a waste of screentime. Had there been some good dialogue thrown in there it would've significantly improved the scene.

That said once they eventually got down the stairs things got pretty exciting. Confirmation that the island was always moving was nice and kind of explains the time jumps a bit more. The best thing though was Desmond's reaction, as I would've been hugely disappointed if he'd ended up going back to the island. Also him blaming Mrs Hawking for everything that happened to him was a great way to establish that he recognised her from his time-travelling adventures without bogging down the conversation with exposition.

So with the details of how to get back to the island sorted out it was a relatively simple case of getting everyone on that plane. Kate coming to Jack was interesting, but a bit annoying. Obviously we'll find out what happened to Aaron (probably sooner than later) in the future but it felt like a quick and easy way to get here on board here. Of the other characters who ended up on the plane, how Hurley got there was the most annoying. Sayid and Ben will likely be explained, but how did Hurley get out of the mental hospital and out of the country so easily. However he was the only one who made a specific attempt to save the other passengers by buying up all the plane tickets he could. It was a great moment and reminded us why Hurley's awesome!

The last thing that really annoyed me was the specifics as to how they got back to the island. It would appear they flew over it as it was shifting in time and so our characters seemed to get caught up in it the same way those on the island were affected. This would imply the plane itself and everyone else on board is fine, but I kind of doubt that. I guess the thing that really annoys me is the more supernatural lean the show's taken this season is simply lazy. Cleverly using Sci-Fi elements like time travel can make for highly engaging and intelligent television (as it has this season), but I worry that they'll just leave it as the light teleported them or something as enough of a reason for how they got back.

While the last moment of the episode was brilliant, with them seeing Jin in a Dharma uniform, the frustrating thing is it's unlikely we'll get that particular thread answered next week. Addressed, yes, but my guess would be as this week focussed on those off the island, next week will be those on it. Which at least should make for a more exciting episode!
  • Most of the O-6 meet in a church hiding a pendulum made by the Dharma initiative to find the island. The pendulum is worked by Faraday's mother, of course called Hawkings. They then get tickets plane going to Guam in a hurry and get back to the island.

I still like the show, but thank god for DVR because it is to absurd to get me to lose my 8 hours sleep anymore. They clearly had no direction writing them off the island and now had to get into all this electro magnetic pocket nonsense. to get them back. What in the world were they talking about. I can respect Sci-Fi but this was absurd and had no basis in Sci-Fi even. Further Ben had always left and found the island before, why was he worried about being on the plane? In addition, wasn't Aaron part of O-6? Except Hurley and Jack's too late question, do they really not care about the other people on the plane? What I did like, the Hawkings actress was creepy, Ben reading Joyce made me think the writers absurdism, the doubting Thomas, Church scenes and 316 reference all added a nice touch of mystery. I like that Sayid now was in handcuffs to mimic Kate in the pilot.
  • If you could call it Jack-centric, this episode thankfully, goes back to what makes this show great: character study.

I laughed a bit at Jack's reaction to Locke's suicide note. Matthew Fox is a fine actor, but he relies on that one "Oh my God, I'm shocked into jittering" expression way too much.

As usual, great episode. Jack going through the (e)motions of trying to get everyone back together, the guilt for what's happened- and trying once again to right his wrongs and save the day; 316 is another good example of all the character's best and worst traits. I'm glad LOST hasn't completely forgotten the complexities that make these people interesting.

Favorite moment: Lapidus' reveal. I actually missed that guy. I was surprised and pleased to see him back.
  • This entire episode fits into a section unto itself.

Here is the lowdown on the episode.
    * 05 Return to the Island.
    * We see the Looking Glass, a new station.
    * We get a lot of foreshadowing.

Aside from the three major events, the ones seen above, the sections in between it read as follows:

Zzzzzzz. And then some stuff happened with Jack. Zzzzzzz. And then Jack and Kate have breakfast.
    Zzzzzzz. And then Jack's grandfather sees a magic show and doesn't tell us anything important and gives Jack a pair of shoes.
    Zzz.

I'm sorry. Here is what really happened. The Writers shocked you with Jack on the Island at the start. And then they shocked with Jin in DHARMA at the end.

And in between? Oh, I forgot that part, sorry. I guess it was because I tried to forget it.

You see, they gave us two bits of information that every LOST fan has known for months... the 05 on the Island, and our guys in DHARMA.

To sum up; omfg Jack on the Island (fanboy faints) Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Omfg Jin in Dharma (Fanboy faints... again).
  • Jack point of view is full of interactions that was interesting, tied with some mysteries, make this episode very good.

Plot Details/Objective -» This episode was written with the simple objective, reunite all the Oceanic six in this episode, and make some of the returners a mystery like Kate, Hurley and Sayid. So you only follow Jack point of View.

What I Like/Disliked -» This episode surprises me, simple because I expected less in an episode focused in Jack point of View, Overall:

Presentation -» (8/10). Was nice to see that they already are in the Island. Nice surprise.

Complication Phase -» (7/10). Was all about Jack interaction with everyone. Can keep you interest, at least it is entertaining.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (7/10). Jin appearance was interesting, because he is wearing a dharma suit.

Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10). The writers managed Jack interaction with everyone very well, that surprised me.

Dialogues -» (8/10). Good quality.

Action /Adventure -» Wasn´t a episode for this.

Drama/Emotions -» (7/10). Jack Usual drama.

Suspense/Tension -» Wasn´t a episode for this.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (9/10). Much more secrets that make you curious, but since it is about the characters mysteries, they will be revealed soon.

Surprise/Twists -» (7/10). The ending provide that and the beginning also.

• We're not going to Guam, are we?

Frank Lapidus: We're not going to Guam, are we?

Best single line of dialogue in Lost ever.
  • The Oceanic Six returns to the island.

This has to be one of my favorite episodes of LOST this season. Even though every episode is absolutely incredible this one was especially great because were finally moving along with this plot. its about time the oceanic six gets back to that island! lol. The Oceanic Six find Faraday's mother who is the key to getting them back to the island. They learn that they will have to take this CERTAIN flight and recreate the circumstances as close as they were the first time they went to the island. and they also learn that they have to bring Locke.
  • We finally do get there, but it's not fun for anybody

At the time this episode aired, I was really excited about it. And after the teaser, I was beginning to think we were getting somewhere. But now that we near the end, it really seems like a lot of what we got in '316' was nothing but a great big teaser--- promising answers and giving none.

In the opening minutes, Mrs. Hawking takes those who showed up to yet another Dharma station, located at the basement of the church: the Lamppost. Then she gives a brief lecture (done while dodging a pendulum; very impressive I'll admit) about how the Dharma Initiative founded and how they searched for the island. Problem is, we never got a follow through on any of it. How did they find about the island in the first place? How did they come with the equation? Who was the clever man who came up with it? These questions were never answered, and looking back on it, that's objectionable. Then Desmond, who's been observing this as if he were the only sane man in the asylum (which he is, actually) says he can't believe they want to go back to the island. Furthermore, when he tells Hawking that her son is in grave danger, she doesn't even look surprised. Then he tells them he lost four years of his life (actually, it's three plus a couple of months, but still...) because of this woman, and that they're just pieces in a game, and no one reacts. The only person who seems disturbed is Hawking, who tells him the island isn't done with him, something Desmond just shrugs off before storming out. I got to admit, even now, I'm still with Des, but he didn't know what was coming next for him. Hell, why is Eloise doing all this, if she never had any intention of going to the island with them?

Finally, Hawking tells them they have to go back on Ajira Flight 316, and they must--- to the best of their ability--- recreate the flight. For Jack, this means he has to take Locke's body as a proxy for his father's and must put something of Christian's on it. Then we get yet another tease--- Jack is drinking in a bar, and he gets a call from the rest home where his grandfather Ray has just tried to make a little run from. (It should be noting, though, in this scene, Jack gets a long much better with Ray then he ever did with his father.) While unpacking he finds a pair of Christian's shoes, and takes them with him. Again, we thought that there was something significant about Ray since he was part of the Shephard line, like Aaron. But since it seems clear that Aaron was yet another red herring, it doesn't seem like this meant anything either (though through it, we did at least solve the mystery of why Christian was always seen on the island in tennis shoes)

Speaking of Aaron, Kate shows up at Jack's house, exhausted and without Aaron. She tells Jack that she's willing to go with him, but refuses to say why or what she has done with Aaron. They have sex, but there's no passion it at all. We'll find out what shifted Kate's thinking later in the season, but her role will be that of more of skeptic--- she's becoming Jack, and Jack's starting to think like Locke.

As always, the most memorable confrontation in this episode comes between Jack and Locke, even though at the time Locke is in a coffin. Somehow, Hawking has Locke's suicide note (again, no explanation as to how she got it) and gives it to Jack, for it is addressed to him. Jack doesn't want to open. Then, despite everything he's been through the last few months, despite everything that has led him to this moment, he has these doubts, and apparently can't resist one last chance to talk down to his greatest opponent. Even after putting Christian's shoes on Locke's feet, he can't resist the urge and puts it on Locke's body. Then, due to distraction at the claims desks, the notes ends up back in his hands again. Finally, hours later, he opens it. All it has are seven words: "Jack, I wish you had believed me." The amount of shock that just rolls over his face is astonishing. Even though he was dead at the moment of their confrontation, Locke still managed to get the last word in.

At Ajira, Sayid and Hurley both show up, only Sayid is in handcuffs, and is being guarded by a mysterious woman. Hurley is there, carrying a guitar case (we don't know how it got there), and he is very careful to buy up every empty seat on the flight. He may not be fully committed to this, but he doesn't want anyone else to die.

Hanging over this like a shadow, as always, is Ben. He says next to nothing at the Lamppost, and then we see him with his hands folded at an altar in the church (I'd say he was praying, but I don't think Ben believes in anything.) He tells the story of Thomas the apostle to Jack, telling him that belief is the hardest thing of all, and he may be honest about this, but I'm betting his mind is elsewhere. After all, his last words are to say that he's going to 'tie up a loose end', and since he just saw Desmond, he knows Penny Widmore is nearby. We don't see the confrontation, but judging from the condition he's in when he gets on the plane (honestly, if Ben doesn't look beat-up during a season, it just looks wrong) , things may have worked against him. But considering all the epic effort he put in to getting them to this moment, he seems remarkably blasé by the time the flight is airborne. When Jack asks him what happens to the other passengers when they hit their window, he simply says: "Who cares?" Ben has apparently stopped giving a damn about innocent bystanders after what happened to Alex. And ten hours into the flight, he's calmly and coolly reading Ulysses. (That's a book that I wouldn't read no matter how long the flight) When Jack, who is nervous as hell, asks how he can read, he answers, "My mother taught me," which is, of course, another lie. (Ben's mother died in childbirth.) Considering he's about to return to an island he's spent years trying to get back too, how can he be so calm?

They may be trying to recreate Oceanic 815, and there are certain elements. Jack is in a suit with a body in tow. Kate is wearing a jacket that looks like the one she was wearing on the plane. Sayid is in handcuffs, which makes up for Kate being free. Sun is along, but has Jin's wedding ring (a stand in). Hurley is carrying a guitar case, which may stand-in for Charlie, and is reading a Spanish comic book, like he was on the plane (or it could be a stand in for Walt) And who is flying this particular plane? Frank Lapidus, who's cleaned up since the freighter. (He may not be a believer yet, but he knows something's up: when he sees Jack and the others on this plane, he utters the classic line, "We're not going to Guam are we?" Well put.)
    Then, ten hours in, they hit some turbulence. Hurley has the presence of mind to tell the other passengers, "you might want to buckle up." There is a flash of light--- and Jack wakes up the jungle. Hurley and Kate are there, but there's no sign of the plane, Sayid, Sun, Ben, or any other passengers. Then they hear music, and a van with the Dharma sign drives over--- and it's being driven by Jin. What the heck?

A lot of the questions that come to mind are never going to be answered, which ultimately makes '316', despite the appearance of revelations, something of a disappointment in what has been a strong season so far. There were so many loose end, that despite the final revelation (which I have to say, was a lot more of what I'd come to expect of J.J. Abrams other show Alias) made me feel that we'd killed a lot of time, when we could've got some frigging answers. Mrs. Hawking had been such a promising character, but her role in this series would never be adequately explained. What makes the episode work at all is Matthew Fox's performance. Some people complained that Jack was always the hardest character of the group to get behind, but there are few actors who could have seemed so brilliant as him in scene after scene. From the look of hope on his face when he awakens in the jungle to the one of despair when he opens Locke's suicide note, this was Emmy worthy work. We're about to make an even longer trip than we thought, and he's not going to be at all where he thought he would.
    My score:8
  • Not bad...

I'm not sure about anyone else but I didn't like that part at the first and then they have us go back 46 hours earlier to see how everything happend. It is neat at times to piece everything together. I did like the little homage to The very first episode when Jack woke up on the island, that was pretty neat. This show seems to make more question than answer them, like who in the heck beat the crap out of Ben? What happend to aaron? things like that. But at the end of the day this episode was really great the way they had to go back, and my theory is that they were just transported off the plane instead of crashing it. That makes sense, somewhat. I was a little disappointed that Desmond didn't go with them but hopefully he will turn up again. Next week I'm really looking forward to as we see Locke's story and what happend leading up to the events of his death.
  • Back to the island

I think the whole episode had very stunning concept - the thing of going back - they know what will happen.. what they have to live trough.. and the way it started - just like on old times, those episodes I adore. And it really had that taste and smell again, but it is little different this time. I like the mystery they build around Kate - what happened with her and Aaron and why she does not want to tell about it? Or was it just written in so that they could get read of the child and go back to island? Who knows.

And how Sayid and Hurley ended up in the plain.. and Frank flying it. Stunning development I think and very intriguing end.. not that we got in first..
  • One of the best of the season. It's Back to the Island.

This episode focuses mainly on Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hugo, Sun, Ben and John Locke getting back to the island. In the beginning of the episode it shows Jack waking up in the Jungle hearing screams. He saves Hugo from the lagoon and finds Kate. After this it go through Jacks interaction with Faraday's mother and her telling him he needs to give Locke something of his father's so he can be a proxy for them to get back to the island. A big part of the episode is of the emotions that the people going back to the Island are going through. Jack is battling with his alcohol addiction as a way to cope but does not drink. Kate is emotional about what she has done with Aaron. Ben is tying up loose ends and we don't know what they are yet. We do not see Sun, Hugo, or Sayid again until the airport. Hugo buys a bunch of seats on the plane thinking he will save peoples lives. Sun meets up with Jack in the airport

Sayid is brought in handcuffed by the authorities.

After the plane takes off, it is revealed that the pilot is Frank Lapidus. All of the sudden there is turbulence, a flash of light and we are back to the beginning with Jack waking up in the jungle. After he saves Hugo and Kate a van drives up and someone gets out and points a gun at them. It is Jin…….
  • While I'm not convinced that '316' deserves the title of 'best episode ever! OMG!', this is certainly one heck of a forty one minute ride from show runners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

While I'm not convinced that '316' deserves the title of 'best episode ever! OMG!' as it seems that many believe on TV.com, this is certainly one heck of a forty one minute ride from show runners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. Look, as soon as those names appear at the bottom of the screen, you should instantly feel reassured that you are about to witness something at least moderately excellent. As it happens, they hit another home run with this one, managing to sucker punch their audience with a quick '1,2' by taking the Oceanic Six back to the Island only six (hah!) episodes into the season. So much for all that speculation that they wouldn't return until the end of year five and then we'd spend season six resolving everything. Nice one guys for giving us a delicious story treat this early into the year.

Of course, it wouldn't be Lost if the return to the Island was completely straightforward. A great deal is left unexplained here: what happens to Aaron? Why is Hurley carrying a guitar case? How did Sayid end up in custody? What happened to Ben? Personally, my speculations are as follows: 1. Claire appeared to Kate again and reiterated the point that the boy must not go back to the Island. 2. The guitar case is Charlie's proxy. 3. This is a sort of proxy for Kate. 4. I reckon he went to murder Penny and got more than he bargained for... i.e. a big old battering from Mr. Hume ("You're gonna die Benjamin!" etc.) But obviously, I could be completely off on all counts. It is a little frustrating that we aren't privy to the answers to these somewhat substantial questions and that we simply have to swallow the fact that the three unwillings have somehow been turned (particularly in relation to Kate's insistence that Aaron's name never be mentioned again... that's a nice way to not have to answer this one for a while!) but then, that's Lost for you. Without the mystery, the anticipation that we'll be given answers in the future, where would we be? Admit it: it's fun to speculate and part of you enjoys the feeling of being made to wait another agonising seven days. You know it's true.

And importantly, it's not as if we weren't treated to a lorry load of answers here anyway. The first eleven minutes, in fact, act as one big information dump as Elouise talks a few of the Losties through the purpose of the crazy pendulum room. This entire sequence is delectably refreshing as, for once, the dialogue actually gives comprehensive, straightforward answers to a series of questions. We learn the room's purpose, its history, how it has achieved its go0al and how Elouise expects to use it to help the Losties. And crucially, it all makes logical sense: of course the DHARMA Initiative would have to find the Island in order to perform its loopy experiments on it. Science is left behind somewhat by the notion of the 'proxy', however, and how replicating the original conditions of arrival will help them get back but then, this dichotomy between faith and science has always been at the very heart of the show. Plus, I'm sure we'll be treated to some further explanation of how all of this works (however questionable it may be) in the future. For example, what happened to the plane? Presumably, the Oceanic Six were caught in one of the temporal shifts - supported by Jin's appearance in DHARMA Initiative gear - and this is how they ended up on the Island, but did the plane remain in its present time or has it shifted with them? Does the 'proxy' situation (replicating conditions) somehow limit the scope of the temporal shift to those who have been to the Island before? In which case, where is Lapitus? And could I ask any more questions in one single paragraph?

'316' is a rather unexpected about turn in the ongoing narrative, bringing the Oceanic Six (well, Five... sans Aaron) back to the Island in spectacular fashion a whole hell of a lot earlier than anyone really expected. It's Jack-centric, but it doesn't feel much like it because it is chiefly concerned with progressing the narrative and, particularly in the first quarter of the hour, providing some solid answers to a number of questions that have been lingering for some time. Next week's episode is titled 'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' which, presumably, means we're going to see exactly what Locke got up to after he left the Island... and how he committed suicide. And then after that... your guess is as good as mine. Fabulous stuff.
  • 316 Deals with many important questions, the most important of which is how the O6 get back to the island. I wish to concentrate on Jack's development.

I have to say that 316 was by far and away my favourite episode this season. Season 5, thus far, has exceeded most of my expectations. The only let down was The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham. I had been waiting for that episode all season, only to find that 316 was the episode I preferred. Everything that made me love this episode is due to Matthew Fox. While a lot of people tend to hate on Jack and to some extent, Matthew Fox himself, I have always been a fan of his. He is a flawed hero, period. It isn't about him being a jerk or a control freak; it's about him finding his redemption. This episode was pivotal in that respect. I am also a huge fan of the show's music. Without it, the emotional impact would be so much less. This episode's music was brilliantly written and left me with a sense of hope and euphoria. After witnessing the opening scene, which mirrored the season one premiere, through to the end, I felt an indescribable feeling of melancholy. Whether it was because the O6 will likely never return to the real world, or because I feel that this episode let Jack truly mourn for Locke, it was a pleasant melancholic feeling. One filled with potential and a look towards a bright future,

We've seen Jack as the man of science and we've seen him slowly begin to accept certain aspects of faith. In the season 2 premiere, man of science man of faith, we saw how he was both. He was callous in his coldness to his soon to be wife when he explained that she would likely never walk again. Then he did the unthinkable. He promised her that he would fix her. That was a potentially stupid move and yet, a miracle occurred and she regained full control of her legs.

Jack has always liked to think that he knew what was happening and that he was in control. We as fans are more than capable of realising that Jack is more confused than he is in control. He has daddy issues and is a control freak. This episode outlined some of his major flaws and dealt with them head on.

The first scene of incredible importance to Jack's character was the one in which Jack discussed Doubting Tom with Ben. Ben explains that Thomas is best known for his denial of Jesus' rebirth; however, he was also the first to jump at the chance to go with Jesus and be killed along side him. This is a rather apt description of Jack. He is always the first to express his desire to go on rescue missions. He jumps at the chance to be a hero. His problem is that he can't reconcile his need to be a hero with the fact that "the island" seems to have some greater plan in store. It's always been about logic and what has to be done for Jack. Now, he is finally coming to the conclusion that he might actually have a destiny. That he might be needed on the island for some greater purpose. Of course, it's possible that he is someone's puppet and he is being used, but let's not get into that.

Another important scene was the one in which Jack placed his father's shoes on Locke's feet. This is clearly a reference to the anointing of the feet. It's interesting that Jack seems so cynical while he is doing this. He also left Locke's supposed suicide note in the coffin with Locke.

This leads me to my favourite moment in this episode. This was the one in which Jack finally opened Locke's note. He tried to get rid of it when he placed it in the coffin, and yet someone involved with the airline found and decided to give Jack the letter. Jack slowly begins to realise that the universe may be forcing him to read Locke's note. As Jack slowly opened the letter and read the one simple line: "I wish you had believed me," my heart broke a little. As I heard Locke's final pathetic wish and watched Jack realise how much of a fool he had been, I could almost feel Jack's resolve harden. He believed. This was his destiny. For the time being, the man of faith seems to have been victorious. As soon as Jack read the letter, the plane began to shake. It was as if his reading the letter was the catalyst to the soon to be crash. There were so many other important moments in this episode that need time and attention, but I wanted to focus on Jack's development. There is still a lot to think about though. Why was Sayid arrested? What did Ben do? Why did Hurley arrive with a guitar? Why did he arrive at all? Where are Sayid, Ben, Locke, Sun, and Frank? Can I just give a shout out to the best line of the episode, which spoken by Frank? "We aren't going to Guam, are we?"
  • Last couple of shows were sub-par but this one was much better. It might be the loopy, twisted timeline.

Starting where the episode ends in going back around in a circle, leaving some blanks to fill in (Kate, Aaron, Sayid, Hurley, Jin, Ben beaten again), these are the unknowns that keep me coming back for more. Now the dumb stuff: the island moving explanation by Faraday's mom (at least that plot hole was filled, but if you were on a island that was always moving wouldn't there be some sensation, visual clues? clouds, waves??) the shoes, Jack's passiveness, the note. I'm curious enough to keep watching to fill in those blanks and the silly techno stuff is part of the fun. Now what did happen to everyone else on the plane??
  • The Best so far !

what an eposide really there is no wrods to describe it ! the " what " face workin in 42 min ! 1- Ben beatin by who ? 2- Lock " i wish you had belived in me " . 3- Hurley with a geauier ! . 4- Sayid what the hell happend to you ! . 5- Kate and Aron story ? !! . 6- what happend to evreyone else in the plane ? Jack performnce os gettin hin an emey one day am tellin u ! Hurley GOD you are really Become more great than ever ! and THE FINLAE minute " Jin " what the huck !! " one of the best EVER ! "
  • The gang finally make it back to the island. I am glad they didn't keep us hanging with this until near the end of the series

The gang finally make it back to the island. I am glad they didn't keep us hanging with this until near the end of the series. This was an excellent episode in true lost style as it explained some parts, left us on a cliff hanger and had us all sitting there wondering "How did that happen?" Namely how did Saeed and Hurley end up on the plane that took them back to the Island. Also where were the others who journeyed back as we only saw three. Also when did Jins hair get so long. Jin I have to say is my favorite character in the whole show. I like him because his motives are simple. He just wants to make his family safe. His wry smile at the end when he found Jack, Kate and Hurley back on the island was brilliant. I didn't think they would kill him off last season and I was happily proved right. I love this programme. I love the twists and turns and the fact when you think you have it all figured out they do something else. I stuck through this programme through a bit of a lull during seasons two and three and I am so glad I did as I feel like I am being rewarded now!! Keep going I cannot wait to see how this show ends even though part of me doesn't want it to.
  • The Oceanic 6 make their way back to the island in the same manner they originally got there with Ben and a dead Locke to accompany them.

While I think this was a great episode filled with a lot of unanswered questions, but the one that is really bugging me is this, it only took 6 episodes for them to return to the island?

That being said, what a great episode. So Eloise explains how the Dharma Initiative came to find the island and that it is constantly moving. This answers the question that despite all his money and power it took Charles Widmore over 50 years to find the island after he left. Now what I really want to know is how and why Charles left? Eloise did have a special mission for Jack, involving his mysterious father and the now dead John Locke. Desmond, ever the skeptic was not buying that he also needed to return with the Oceanic 6, but Eloise was very firm in saying that the island still had plans for him.

Jack's task involved getting a personal object from his father and putting it on John's body. So he visited his grandfather and found that the shoes he refused to put on his father's body three years ago had made their way to his grandfather, and Jack politely asked him if he could have them. It was here that I was waiting for Ray to say something to him, if only he knew something if he just said, Jack you shouldn't go back there. This makes me believe that Christian is definitely dead and that he is simply a host for a greater force on the island.

This episode also teased us with a great romantic scene between Jack and Kate. Kate, after giving Aaron to someone, her mom, his biological grandmother, or her adoptive father, shows up at Jack's apartment and says in what in my opinion was her best line of the series "I'll go back with you, but you have to promise me to never ask where he is" or something like that, it was pretty powerful. So she spends the night, and then agrees to meet him at the airport.

Ajira, now come on they are flying the same airline that the attackers that attacked Locke, Sawyer, Juliet, Daniel, Miles, and Charlotte had water bottles from, not really sure if they are related, but they were in that spoiler video for a split second, I can't see that this will be the last we will see of this airline. Ajira 316 flies over where and when the island should be so that they can back. So there were some similarities between Oceanic 815 and Ajira 316;
    A fugitive, Kate on 815, Sayid on 316, my guess is Ben turned him in for all the murders he had him committ.

A guy with a guitar, Charlie on 815, Hurley on 316, this was just touching.

A dead man who enjoyed a complicated relationship with Jack, Christian on 815, and John on 316.

Then there was Frank Lapidus, who was supposed to fly 815 is now flying 316, that cannot be a coincidence. Then came the awkward conversation between Jack and Ben, at this point the plane had been flying for awhile and nothing had happened yet. I did some mapping and if you flew from Los Angeles to Hawaii and kept going you would be pretty close to Guam, nothing but ocean, so Jack asked Ben just exactly what was supposed to happen, and Ben with his great wit replied that he did not get to stay after class with Ms. Hawking. There was also the great line and lie;
    Jack: How can you read?
    Ben: My mother taught me.

Of course Ben's mother did not really have time to teach him anything, since she died about five minutes after he was born. They then continued to talk about John and his dealings after moving the island, and then Jack read the letter and well the plane started shaking and then just like after 815 Jack woke up on the island off shore in a suit. He found Hurley and Kate, but no sign of the plane, and then the infamous van shows up and Jin walks out.

This was an interesting episode, while I enjoyed the actions of Jack and Kate, and Ben's mysterious butt kicking, and the fact that 5 of the 6 made it on the plane, i am still confused that they returned so early in the season.
  • Destiny, coursecorrecting... agaist Ben's ego.

Amazing episode which reminds everyone, why we're watching LOST all these years. The scenario is great. The way LOST goes on... makes the expected, to be unexpected.

In the end we saw Jin in Dharma bus, and he was wearing Dharma uniform. I said "WTF?" but then i realised that we are at 2008 and the island is still flashing. Maybe during a flash that we haven't seen, Jin found the bus and the uniform, and carried the items with him... in the same way Locke carried the compass, and Faradey carried the Zodiac.

Im this episode... we learned a little more about the significancy of Locke's transition. Locke who is wearing Christian's shoes, is a coursecorrecting, unless Ben did something we don't know when Ajira employees checked the coffin. Ben looks so calm in the airplane, and i don't think he's been given up to destiny. Maybe he has prepared something for his own good, and he'll f*ck up the plan once more :)

We have 28 episodes till the end, and many twists to come.

For example the new passenger... who is he? Surely not a simple traveller!

A big 10 from me
  • Best lost episode ever

Best lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode everBest lost episode ever
  • Another Lost episode, and once again it is another good one.

With 316, the Oceanic Six return to the island. The episode starts with Jack, Hurley and Kate being there and then flashes back to the moment that ended last weeks episode, and explains how the group ended up returning to the island. Some issues are unresolved, like how Sayid, Kate, and Hurley ended up taking that flight, but this is vintage Lost, and I am sure we will get those questions answered as the season goes on.

With that said, I liked this episode. We got an explanation of how the Island was discovered without giving too much away. It seems that it was found in 1954 if I saw the date correctly. Faraday's mother, I can't remember her name, seems almost as creepy as Ben, and I have a feeling there is more then meets the eye with the two of them. Ben as usual is as sneaky as ever and still one of the best actors on the series.

Why did Kate show up at Jack's and decide to go back? Why was Sayid a prisoner and being taken on the flight? How did Hurley find out, and why was he there? THese are all good questions, but the one I'm wondering most about is why was Kate found crying on Jack's bed and where was Aaron? I can't wait to find out.

The episode ends on a nice cliffhanger with Jin showing up with a weapon and looking at Hurley, Kate, and Jack standing in the water. Sun, Ben, and Sayid are nowhere to be found. More questions, and next week we're going to find out how Locke got off the island and what led to his death. THis season is just as good as last season, and it's looking as if it will be much better, but damn all the questions. THen again, it wouldn't be Lost.
  • All hats down.. The very best LOST hour since Walkabout..

I cant wrap my head around this episode enough on how much it rocked!
    Me and my friends literally sat on the edge of our seats the whole time and sometimes reminding ourselves on how much we love this show!

They have been setting up for this moment since the season finale in season 3..
    And while the episode was like THE christmas gifts of LOST answers/mysteries, opened all at once, it certainly functioned as a new pilot episode for a new chapter in the LOST saga.

New exciting mysteries:

Where are Aaron and Ji Yeon?
    Why is Ben all messed up?
    How did Hurley know about the 316 flight?
    Why are Sayid handcuffed with that woman?
    How did they get on the island/What was that white light?
    Where have Ben, Sayid, Sun, Frank and dead Locke landed on the island?
    Where are the plane and the other passengers?
    Why are Jin in a dharma suit??

I love where this story is heading, and I cant wait to find out!
    Flashforward to next week please... ;P
  • Welcome to the island !Population:Unknown.Time:Unknown.

It's difficult for me to write this review cause I am speachless.I can't seem to understand how can every Lost episode be better than the last one.This season is awesome and we are not even on the half of it. In the end every Oceanic Six (except Aaron) and Ben end up in the plane to Guam or maybe to a much more scary place : the island. I liked the idea of the similarity to the 815 flight.Sayid took Kate's place as a prisoner , Hugo took a guitar (maybe Charlie's) and Locke was the dead man instead of doctor Shepard oh and Frank Lapidus is the pilot.
  • This is LOST at its best. A good mix of questions, answers, and a nice amount of character development!

Jack episodes have always been the heart and soul of LOST. Last season's "Something Nice Back Home" was primarily a relationship-based episode, disappointing, but tonight's installment had a little bit of everything. I've most enjoyed the on-island storyline and time-jumping all season, but I didn't even miss Sawyer and Daniel in tonight's story.

316 starts with Kate, Jack, and Hurley back on the island. Seeing Jack wake up in the jungle the same way he did in the Pilot was thrilling and really exciting. It had this unusual sense of nostalgia and repetition, and just confirmed for me that the universe really DOES have a way of course-correcting. Things on this show happen again and again, and this episode was no mistake.

The episode then jumps back a day and a half, the only time shift in the episode. The scenes in the Looking Glass were great, both because of the obvious Narnia reference and Henry Ian Cusick's wonderful Desmond. Desmond will definitely make it back to the island, but it's cool to see that his character has again been pushed to the edge of his own sanity.

The pendulum scenes provided several answers, including that there are many pockets of energy around the world. We've suspected this, and Isaac of Uluru mentioned it in "S.O.S." We can probably assume that the Tunisian desert is another one of these pockets. Hawking is a great character, and continues to retain complete ambiguity, even when presented opposite math and science.

Jack's journey to his grandfather seemed awkward, but was some good character development for Dr. Shephard. No matter where Jack goes, the island will follow him: presenting his father's shoes, returning Locke's suicide note. He has been confronted with odd coincidences for four and a half seasons, so it's nice to finally see him accept the idea of fate and embrace his belief that he will return to the island.

The romance scenes... eh. Perhaps the character who most exemplifies constant repetition in the series is Kate. Where all the other characters end up in much the same place at the end of their journey, they manage to change. Jack has found faith, and wakes up again on the island. Hurley comes to terms with his sanity, but is still the morally strong, good-hearted Hurley we know and love. Kate is stagnant, though. She abandons Aaron and chooses to run away again. Kate's character is honestly in the same place she was five seasons ago: torn between Jack and Sawyer, the most lost of all the survivors. I'm hoping that the writers have a redemptive story for Kate in the show's fifth or sixth season, but right now she continues to be the same Kate I've never liked.

The scenes in the airport were absolutely beautifully done. The writing, direction, and music all combined to just create this eerie feeling of mystery, but I couldn't stop laughing. Hurley reading a comic book and buying dozens of plane seats. Sayid's looks of obvious surprise and resignation. Ben's rush to the plane, and Frank's sudden announcement over the intercom. These stories will all obviously be told through flashbacks, and I can't wait for a return to that format.

Seeing Jin drive up in the Dharma van, along with Daniel's presence in the Orchid earlier this season, suggests that our on-island survivors are left in the 1970s. Can't wait for the rest of the season!
  • The Oceanic 6 find out how to get back to the island.

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. I think that this episode was definitely one of the best episodes ever of Lost. This was also definitely one of the most exciting episodes ever of Lost too. I absolutely did not expect for them to actually get back to the island in this episode. I was really surprised that they got back to the island in this episode. I didn't see that coming at all. I thought that this episode raised a lot of really interesting questions about how the Oceanic 6 all ended up on the same plane, and I hope that the writer's plan on answering them in episodes later on in the season. All in all, I thought that this was an extremely well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.
  • My first perfect 10 for a season 5 episode. I cannot believe that this show can actually get better every week.

What can I say? This has got to be my favorite episode since The Constant, maybe even better. We get more answers in this one than I think we've ever gotten in a single episode. Jack is finally starting to believe, and somehow almost all the original people who left end up on 316. When clean-shaven Lapidus stepped out and said "We're not going to Guam, are we?", I actually got giddy with excitement and almost felt like pumping my fist. Overall, this episode brought back that same fascination I felt in season 1, and it feels good to have everyone back together on the Island.
  • "I wish you had believed in me"...

Im' still in shock with last night episode, i must say that it was amazing!! We found out how are they going to get back to the island. We learn about a Dharma station called the lamppost which purpose is connected to the island location. There is a scene with Kate in the bed which was awesome OMG i WAnT TO KNOW
    what happened to Aaron NOW!! its like he has a mayor destiny so his life is very complicated! Kate, Hurley, why exactly they decided to go back. and who forced Sayid by handcuffs to go back. Everything happened in so little time!!
    And finally Ben !! Ben wanted to go back but before that he wanted to acomplish a promise with an old friend? i hope he didnt! PENNY!!!!! and well the end is way too awesome!! Questions unanswered: Desmond? Walt? where are they?, What was the promise Sawyer made to Kate? How much time has it passed in the island since they got out? Why Jin is in a Dharma costume?
  • An episode full of revelations that finishes with the best cliffhanger ever!.

Just when you thought LOST would not surprise you to the point of jaw dropping, here it comes the new episode in which we learn so many stuff that we can barely digest it.

First of all, the magnificent room in which the Dharma Iniciative learns where to find the island, which is one of the best moments of the episode, includes this big pendulum, map on the floor (remember Lex Luthor's headquarters?) and a lot of nonsense formulas al over the place.

And of course, the way the Island makes everybody be on that plane to crash again there, and the appearance of Lapidus piloting the very plane in which they are supposed to go back to the Island.

One thing is not very well explained, and under my opinion this is quite risky for the writers, Where is Aaron?, the decision made by Kate to return to the Island is most likely that Ben made her go to save Aaron in some way, but looks like the writers needed to justify Kate going in the plane and they didn't come up with a simple answer that will be explained later, I just hope it will be an interesting one.

Finally, the best cliffhanger ever seen in the show is presented in the form of Jin dressed as a Dharma Initiative member is just AWESOME!. I cannot wait for the next episode to be on air next Wednesday.
< 1 2