Lost

Across The Sea

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 11, 2010 on ABC

• I Bet your ass's, that this is just an original version of a religious story.

4.5
    I Bet your ass's, that this is just an original version of a religious story.

They never give the name of the MIB, Why?
    I belive the name of the MIB is "Esaú", Twin brother of "Jacó" also known as Jacob.

They are feeding us an original version of a religious story!!!

They are just draging the story without is name because they know if we knew the name, it would just kill the interest on the show.

It's just a bloody religious story!!! C'mon! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • Contrived, stupid and far-fectched. It held my interest though.

This episode kind of just pointed out to me what I don't like about Lost. What happened to the plane crash? People dealing with being stuck on a creepy island...why has it all come down to this? Some stupid story about a woman who kills a pregnant girl...the mother of Jacob and the man in black...keeps them as her own...they spend 13 years clueless to the fact that others are living on this island...then MIB talks to his dead mother who tells him the insane woman posing as his mother is a fake...then he suddenly goes to the other people BUT Jacob decides to stay with the crazy lady ho murdered his real mother...sound insane/stupid?

It gets worse...it's all because of a warm light in the middle of the island that they have to protect. I kind of get hat it means after watching the next episode but at this point...wtf? It held my interest cos I guess I liked seeing Jacob and MIB grow up but that doesn't mean it was well written. The best bit was how it linked back into a season one episode where they found the bodies...but overall this was wrong...very wrong. WHY!? Sorry for that rant.
  • Is that it? Wow...I'm disappointed

5.5
    So that's the truth about the island..A generic Good vs. Evil/Abel vs. Cain subplot that made Me cringe with frustration. I have to admit that this episode made Me feel utterly betrayed. I don't wanna sound too harsh, but this is the triumph of fluff over substance. I mean, the Guy in Black is not even blessed by having a name because he's EVIL. C'mon.. I'm writing this comment only because this episode spoiled the whole show for me. As for the following episodes (the ending included) I won't bother to comment them...I should have stopped watching the show after season 5.
  • Reader Beware! This review has spoilers aplenty.

Far from being episodic filler, "Across the Sea" (Ep. 6x15) was one of the most crucial episodes of the entire series. It was also an excellent episode in its own right, and packed the emotional punch that the last season of Lost had (generally) been lacking up to this point. This is largely due to the strong performances of the entire cast. I think young Jacob (Kenton Duty) and Smokey (Ryan Bradford) deserve special recognition for their excellent performances. Those two kids not only looked the part, but also convincingly portrayed the younger versions of these two pivotal characters despite the fact that their characters had changed significantly over the countless years leading up to the series' present time period. This combination of factors, along with the elegant and understated manner in which this episode addressed several long-standing mysteries, make this one of most distinctive Lost episodes, ever. To those who might regard this installment as tepid filler, here's a list of some of the questions this episode addressed. ~ It explained the means by which the Dharma Initiative powered their Stations, Dharmaville, et al.

~ It addressed who built the frozen wheel and why, and also provided further insight into the nature of the wheel and the Island. ~ It explained the origin of the Smokey as well as his connection to Jacob.

~ It expounded upon the Island "malevolence" that the show has been hinting at for, what feels like, forever.

~ It explained how (sort of) and WHY Jacob never aged.

~ It FINALLY revealed the origin and significance of Adam and Eve, and the meaning of the stones that were found with their bodies. I know some people considered this a minor plot point (at least those who even remembered Adam and Eve), but from season 1 onward I had always believed that Adam and Eve were important, and this episode validated this conviction in spades.

~ Viewers finally learned more about the "insane mother" Non-Locke mentioned to Kate earlier this season.

~ Most surprisingly of all was the revelation that the complicated sequence of events that led up to the current point in BOTH timelines has basically been the result of Jacob's attempts to "clean up his own mess." The unearthing of this sole fact puts Jacob, Smokey, and the entire series in a very different light.

~ We learned more about where Jacob was coming from as a person (which has generally been Lost's strong suit) and why he placed he such a premium - often recklessly (in my opinion) - on personal choice.

~ Lastly, viewers ALSO learned more about where Smokey was coming from and that were shown that despite his well-earned role as the show's Big Bad, he, like most of the other characters (including Jacob) was also a tragic figure.

This list isn't comprehensive, and I'm well aware that this episode raised many new question and only partially addressed some of Lost's numerous long-standing mysteries, but it did a spectacular job of setting up the end game.

In addition to all this, "Across The Sea" also echoed several major themes that have recurred throughout the course of the series. Here are some off the top of my head.

~ Taking children away from their natural mothers. E.g., Alex/Rousseau, Walt/Michael, Claire/Aaron.
    ~ Parental issues. Nearly every major character has this problem.
    ~ Frustrated ambitions. E.g., Locke/Smokey.
    ~ Ambiguous threats. E.g., the shipwrecked survivors, Widmore's boat people.
    ~ Cruelty and murder as a result of selfishness and lack of understanding. E.g. the mass slaughter of an entire population; Smokey's people, the Dharma Initiative, the Others from the Temple, the Ajira passengers, etc.

All in all, "Across the Sea" is a return to form for Lost, and is exactly the type of episode that made me fall in love with this series in the first place.
  • at last ! .

Lost give us some amazing answers ! .

and what is the Island and it's all about Faith and sinces . and there are Twin , and there is rules , and who the two bodies , what is wheel , the light , and how they can leave the Island , someone must protect the Island , and the smokey , in this episode we got alot of answers . the writes really know what they writing for the very first episode of the show . something really amazing and hard to find . now we have 3 episode left , and i Know for sure that Lost will END with an amazing and high note . Love Lost ! .

10/10
  • what a pity! interesting but perhaps it's the most disappointing episode of season 6.........

In "Across the Sea", the story shifts to a unique setting and subjects from the past are drudged up with the potential of answers at our fingertips. This potential is dangled in front of us only to have it ripped away with the story revealing very little at all. Did we need to know that the Man in Black created the donkey wheel if we weren't going to be given at least an inkling as to how he came up with the idea? "Across the Sea" is an interesting beast of an episode as it does offer up some key character development but had the potential to be a lot more.Lindelof and Cuse begin to frustrate when they dangle that tempting carrot stick of answers a little too close to our noses.
  • Revealing but poorly executed and not epic

First of all this episode revealed a lot and gave us a lot of answers, so I don't understand why all you people are complaining about the lack of answers with this episode. The episode revealed a lot of the backstory of Jacob and the Man in Black and revealed the origin of the Smoke Monster. It also revealed answers about the light in the cave, the donkey wheel, and the adam and eve cave question. The problem with the show currently isn't the lack of answers and that's not what the show should be focused on. The problem is the poor writing and drama, which seemed to be incredibly flat and boring in this episode. With good execution and writing, the answers will come and actually be good.

This episode was extremely underwhelming and not epic. I hoping for an episode along the lines of "The Man Behind the Curtain" or "Ab Aeterno" but didn't get it. The dialogue and acting, normally good, was especially flat and stupid, especially from Allison Janney's character (whoever she is idk), the mom, who was a really badly created character. Her dialogue sucked and the acting was pretty bad too. Her reasons and actions were like huh? There were no emotional moments, no great scenes, no exciting scenes, with the exception of maybe when the man in black turns into the smoke monster (that was cool and interesting). It seems like Lindelof and Cuse are trying to just tell us the answers and just nonchalantly reveal stuff at the expense of the normally great story and great scenes. While I mostly disliked this episode, their were a few good/interesting parts. First was the cave of light reveal. That was very cool and borderline epic. The part about the origin of the smoke monste, as I mentioned before, was very interesting and was the best part. I feel like they could've just shown that part in a flashback and I would have been satisfied. The overall story was interesting and could've been epic but was poorly written and executed.

*After rewatching, I felt that it was better the second time. The story made more sense the second time and the scenes where they are in front of the cave were awesome and even haunting. I guess the character of the mom just ruined the episode for me and the beginning just got off to a slow start.

Season 6 episodes rankings

11. Lighthouse 8
    12. The Package 8
    13. Recon 7.5
    14. What Kate Does 7
  • the man in black is born in this episode. and is he named? lol no. that's how stupid it is

5.5
    oh, and don't forget "there's a little bit of light in us all, and we all want more of it"
    Lame... they should just change the name of the show to it
    this episode does accomplish one thing. it lowers your expectations of the last 3 episodes. you were hoping for something great. maybe this could be one of the greatest tv shows of all time. not any more. average at best, that's what the writer's are giving us
    questions that still need to be answered...
    ok the list is so long let's just focus on the new questions introduced this episode:
    Who is this woman who becomes their gaurdian? How does she know all this?
    How does she make them not be able to kill themselves?
    etc etc
  • disappointing

2.5
    having been drawn in since season one, one of the main mysteries is answered.. and boy is it disappointing. The whole adam and eve thing was one of the top mysteries that had so much potential but to have it answered and it to be so dull, and rubbish made me feel empty. oh and as others have pointed out this episode left more questions (rather than answers) i really hope the last two episodes are full of answers as this season seems lacing in quality and direction. im not a happy lostie... really i am not. i give this 2.5 out of ten.
  • A tad bit off but insightful nonetheless

Don't get what all the complaint is about this episode, Lost is supposed to be totally ambiguous and whatnot. What I really liked about this episode was that we see a more human side of Jacob, his rage against his brother and how he created him, since the beginning of this season we see Smokey as the bad guy, but what's great about Lost is that the line between good and evil is blurred so well. Would've liked a little more detail on the guardianship of the island or how their "mother" got to be there in the first place but an otherwise solid outing with only a little left to go.
  • I keep getting the impression that the creators have been making all of this up as they go...

I have been watching since the first season and was extremely curious about the story line, especially after seeing an interview with the creators (that I believe took place either toward the ending of season 1 or just after it ended). During this interview, it was stated that not only would EVERYTHING be explained but that there would be a logical and rational and scientific explanation. This is why I continued to watch Lost. The main storyline of the show has shifted so many times and there have been so many instances that make me fairly sure that the creators have been making a lot of this up as they go, instead of having an actual defining plot laid out.

This episode made me laugh a bit when that major revelation turned out to be the origin of the Adam & Eve corpses. I remember an article from this web site listing the most desired questions to be answered and the least important answers. The Adam & Eve corpses were on the least desired answer list.

One point that I would like to mention is that I believe that Jacob's (oddly) unnamed brother did actually die in this episode. I get the impression that the force (or light) was somehow released by no-name's entry and that, as it was the force's first taste of humanity, it absorbed no-name's psyche and form. We know that it can take the form of any corpse on the island and I think that this was its first form. A lot of the reviews that I have read seem to imply that no-name became the smoke monster but that cannot be or there wouldn't have been a body left behind (or at least no reason for one).

I feel that the creators are going with the concept of evil as a pure force or energy and that no-name's entry into the cavern released it and now the focus of the island's keeper is not actually protecting the force from man but preventing the evil force from escaping. Evil-Locke seems to be trying to manipulate the candidates into being killed, because with no candidate's he is free to leave. Which is apparently easier for him than attempting to get them all to leave together.

Unfortunately, with all the countless change-ups and screw-ups that the writers and creators have presented us, I am really no longer enjoying the show but just watching to see how screwed up the ending will be. The time-line is messed up even further with this episode, the conflicting languages spoken, outfits worn by the people, along with the wreckage in the water; this episode could have happened anywhere between 400 and 2,000 years ago. Mix that in with the conflicting Egyptian themes that have popped up throughout most of the seasons and you are left with a huge mess. I truly doubt that the original promise to fully explain this mess will be fulfilled, unless this whole conundrum was just a dream of Hurley's after eating a bad bucket of chicken. The more that I think about the 'whole' picture of Lost, the more that I am sure most of it was just made up as they went and that the writers are currently smoking lots of drugs and making script changes to the last episode even as I type this.
  • The final mythology episode of lost provides the most answers yet, and the most controversial piece of the puzzle.

After watching this episode for the first time I was awed, it wasn't the best episode ever but some of the most perplexing puzzles were answered in a way I didn't expect. It came as quite a shock to me that there was so much hate for the episode on the forums, but then the angry fans have always been the loudest, and the people who have hung on to their precious theories for the last six years were always going to be disappointed. I feel happy to be in the category of fans who, even though they've stuck with the show since the beginning and put a lot of thought into what the answers to the mysteries could be, can happily accept the answers and move on with their lives looking forward to a finale that will answer some, if not all of the remaining questions.

The episode itself is much like Ab Aeterno, with the majority (99%) of it taking place in the past. The story follows Jacob and the unnamed Man in Black from their birth until the Man in Black is transformed into the smoke monster, and he is laid to rest in a cave with the woman who raised them, finally putting an end to the speculation about Adam and Eve. Mark Pellerino and Titus Welliver are always fun to watch as Jacob and the MiB, and this episode is no exception as we see the events which shaped their characters into the people we know in the present timeline. While the children playing the younger Jacob and MiB have an 'Anakin Skywalker' quality about them, they're actually not that bad and it turns out we've seen the younger Jacob before in the series.

Production values have never mattered to me in LOST, something which some have complained about this episode, but they looked absolutely fine to my eyes and after all the series is about the story and the characters and not the special effects.

I was happy with the answers, so here's a checklist of what they were and why I thought they worked;

- Two sides, one light one dark: Black and White/Dark and Light has always been alluded to in the show and in this episode we see the origin of the Adam and Even stones in the game of Senet MiB finds on the beach. The writers clearly new this was going to be a show about light vs dark from the beginning, and this brings Locke's conversation with Walt in season 1 in a full reverse circle.

- The Man in Black with no name: People are complaining that the writers built unnecessary suspense by not giving him a name, and it seems unlikely that it will be revealed in the final episodes. Doesn't bother me, I can see why it would bother some people, but the Island also doesn't have a name and is it really that important when all is said and done. (Just because some people were really hoping it would be Aaron).

- The Frozen Donkey Wheel: People came they dug holes, they built a frozen donkey wheel. I'll get to 'the light' in a minute, but this to me is a satisfactory explanation, it's a system for channeling 'the light' and water, the effects of which will transport MiB off the island. He knows this how? - because he's 'special'. Makes sense to me, and the fact that somebody must have turned it before Ben Linus or John Locke, with equally unpredictable results could explain any number of unexplainables or inconsistencies.

- Being 'Special': Remember that episode from the first season 'Special', where Walt makes birds crash into windows with his mind? It seems that some people are just born with special abilities like Hurley seeing dead people and Miles' ability to talk to the dead, or when John Locke could predict the weather. Does it have anything to do with the island, maybe not but if 'the light' does have some influence on the outside world then maybe it does, because in the alternate reality none of the Losties seem to have 'special powers' and in the alternate reality the island is sunk hmm...

- 'The Light': or the Electromagnetic Energy/Negatively Charged Exotic Matter that Pierre Chang and co were drilling into. Remember when they were building the Orchid station, Chang shows a worker a scan of the Frozen Donkey Wheel chamber, where the light is, where he says there's an unlimited source of energy which could let them manipulate time. The electromagnetism has been in the show since the first series, remember when Sayid was unable to find a compass bearing, well that's what made the ancient people dig right. And then the Swan in series 2, it was always going to be a big part of the show and it makes sense that it should have caused MiB to turn into the Smoke Monster. It also explains why he doesn't like the sonic weapon fences.

- Where there's Smokey there's electromagnetism: So he gets pushed into the source of the electromagnetism on the island, he is turned 'worse than dead' something which by that very statement by the mother implies that it has happened before, and shoots out in the form of the Smoke Monster. What doesn't fit with everything we've been told about the show so far? Nothing that's what.

- Mother issues/Daddy Issues: A HUGE part of the show from the beginning, and never more relevant now than in the story of Claire and Aaron. Remember when she went to the Psychic, when she was told that some of her goodness must have an influence on raising the baby, or bad things would happen, that Malkin forced her to get on Oceanic 815 because he knew she would crash on the Island and be forced to raise Aaron. Her baby didn't have a father, Just like Rousseaus didn't, and they've both went crazy, history repeating itself much? And Malkin the phoney psychic whose daughter came back from the dead, who just so happened that he knew he had to direct Claire to the island, now I wonder who could have put all those wheels into motion... - Would you Adam and Eve it?: So they're not Rose and Bernard, they're not Kate and Jack, they're MiB and his mother. People say oh but Jack said their clothes were 40-50 years old, so therefore we must burn the writers at the stake. They're on an island, where Smoke Monsters roam and people don't age, where time is skipped and all other kinds of weird things happen and still this bothers people. Really? And since when was Jack an expert on clothing, or forensics or anything other than Dural Sacks for that matter. Admittedly the flashback was wholly unnecessary, but I guess the people who don't rewatch might not remember the Adam and Eve scene from 'House of the Rising Sun'.

As far as I'm concerned that's a good checklist with lots of ticks, if you look at it hard enough there are bound to be holes, but then if you use your imagination and accept the fact that not every tiny question is going to be explained then you may just sleep better at night. As for the episode itself, It wasn't a classic for me as it did answers so many questions, which made me realise that this is the end, no more guessing, no more pondering the great mysteries of LOST. But reflecting on the answers has made me realise that by not answering everything, it will give the show a longer life, and rewatches in the future will no doubt yield more possible explanations. I cannot wait for the finale, as it seems its going to feature a lot of Desmond and Locke. What did one snow man say to the other snowman? Something we'll never find out, deal with it. Namaste.
  • Expectations even higher!

Well, sadly only because people don't understand they give lamme reviews...

Mine is simple, I love the acting, marvellous ost, and wonderful conclusion for the island mysteries, if you like, like me, all the Gaia theories! Also, if you practise Yoga (at least raja yoga) maybe you find some interesting conclusions.

A excellent episode, the way it's written is sublime, it catches the audience and don't let us even blink.

My only concern is that they try to explain to much in the final episode... Some movies / series, are better let with some mysteries unsolved, so that we can give the meaning that we thing its the right one (Donnie Darko, The Fountain, etc).
  • Not a good episode at all..... :(

I am watching the episode for about 12 minutes now but I am very worried about how the show will end. This is a terrible episode and a little too late to tell this story so close to the ending of the show.

This should have been around the beginning of this season not near the end where you are expecting to get "real" answers about the island and the story that is going on since the first season.

I dont care that much about Jacob/Blackguy and they are not realy interesting characters, especially when looking at what happenend to the main characters recently.

Hopefully next week it will all be better.
  • PLEASE READ THIS. Some spoilers from Across the sea. For all the people giving it 1-5s. READ THIS. you are not thinking clearly. I consider this episode the BEST LOST EPISODE

First of all. The "light" which is the heart of the island and has all the answers to everything pushes on one of the biggest things about the human condition: Faith vs Science

There are two sides: Jacob and MIB

Jacob is about protecting the secret. Its for humanity! For jacob, humanity is more important than answers. As long as it works--FAITH. he goes by this.

MIB is not like this. You can see it in his eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyeIfz-l38

when he sees the "light", you know he wants to let go of faith and strive for ANSWERS(science). Throughout the episode he demands for "answers". He wants to know what is across the sea, how things work. he is not content with jacobs views. He is about SCIENCE. He wants to learn how things work. He represents science in a large scale. Questioning "miracles" so we can study them and use them to solve the maladies of nature. THe bad part about this is that it leads to WAR and destruction. However, it has to happen in order for science to work. "for the greater good" you can say.

So here we have, jacobs mom as faith. SHe doesnt want them to question but to accept for what it is. Her views were sent to jacob. MiB wants to get off the island and learn. We can see this when MiB throws his knife and discovers "magnetism". Jacob is startled, but MiB wants MORE...he wants to LEARN MORE.

So at the end of the day, is MiB really a bad guy? He just wants to leave the island to learn more about himself. At the end of the day, this episode shows the human condition: the people who want to question everything and advance science vs the other group who stay ignorant/faithful and accepts miracles(religion). Unbelievable!

So back to this episode. Back in Jacobs youth, science was nonexistant. Its was only faith. Science was just born(MiB discovering magnetism). Of course LOST doesn't have all the answers because religion/faith is impeding us to find them! Think about it.

I got this from another website which I don't want to say. You know who you are--Thanks!
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Misplaced Jacob childhood story, jarring fantasy universe, rushed development and editing, rotten installment

The Candidate's ending was so intense that I was expecting Across the Sea to directly revert to it. Instead we were teleported in Jacob's past. It reminded me of Ab Aeterno but when Richard's story was well told and perfectly mixed with the on-going events this one seemed completely misplaced as we hadn't seen Jacob for weeks. And Desmond, whom I consider to be the new Jacob, wasn't even featured !

First its surreal fantasy universe jarred with the past episodes even if there's nothing realistic about Black Locke. However it made me regret the mind blowing flashbacks of the 3rd season and Daniel Faraday's twisted theories. Second I didn't like the mother nor the actress who portrayed her. I just found her character unauthentic and not charismatic enough to be Jacob's mum. Third the transition between his childhood and adulthood periods was too brutal. Wait, there was no transition. One minute he was a boy, the next a man. I wish we learned more about what he did to become a man : Hunting, exploring, building crazy inventions… Fourth the editing was so poor that it almost ruined the creativity of past installments. But no I can't accept that such an awkward work shadows the astonishing results we had to experience so far. Mirror connections ? Gone. Dual stories ? Gone. Synchronized editing ? Just forget it ! Mixing some scenes with first season ones was just plain lazy. Jack and Kate popped up from nowhere and their magical appearance felt like an annoying subliminal advertisement. These scenes were so rushed that it made things even worse when I thought the episode had already reached the bottom of the barrel.

Was it Lost ? Definitely not the one we have been accustomed to. Season 6 had been so strong and captivating so far that I never thought I would have to endure such a disappointing illusion. Of course the whole yin-yang and quest of light elements were interesting but I just didn't like how they were served to us. To sum things up I prefer when the story wilds my senses and mesmerizes my imagination than getting cold and questionable answers. Maybe the upcoming What They Died For will make me regret my decision of rating it so poorly but for the moment the best word to describe how I feel is deception. A tremendous and bitter deception !
  • Shockingly bad!

There will be spoilers!!! This isn't the Lost we know. What DIDN'T go wrong in this episode? Not the acting. I've seen better emotions in a museum exhibit. Honestly, you'll never see a more uncomfortable "beatdown" (twice!!) in your life. Everyone was either flailing awkwardly with their faces (especially the mother..dear god could they have gotten a more terrible actress?) or stonily mouthing their lines, which can't really be helped because the script is abysmal. How did a show this complex ever come to use words like "good", "bad", and "light" repeatedly in the simplest sense imaginable? There was no symbolism, no complexity, nothing to absorb with any of the dialogue. It was actually both vague and blunt, vague because nobody seemed to know what was going on as much as we are and were simply content to explain everything with as few words as possible. How did he know that the donkey wheel would move the island? Because he's special. How does the magic wine make people immortal protectors of the island? Just drink it. How did the island come to have a "heart"? What does this heart contain? Why does entering it turn you into a smoke monster? Who the hell is she? How did she get there? What are the "rules"? Want answers? There is not answers!!!

The two most badass characters in the show have been reduced to pathetic, lonely, sniveling wimps with mommy issues. The show has been simplified to within an inch of its intrigue. There hasn't been a passing reference to any of the things that actually matter. Such as the meaning of the numbers, candidate selection, the rules, the sickness, pregnant women, why smokey must not leave, the island!!, ANY of the things we actually expected to be addressed in an episode like this (the only episode like this!). Instead, we got ONE answer to the least essential mystery in the entire show that they needed to waste an essential episode building up to, complete with baffling stock footage from the first season, as if to bash our heads that "Hey look! We answered something! From the first season! See?? We even inserted random footage of Jack and Kate in case you forget what it is we're actually answering! Isn't that clever?!?!". And now we got a slew of new questions. We're gonna need another Across the Sea just to explain Across the Sea, but or course. there's no time why are you wasting episodes on this garbage!! A soulless episode that casts a dark shadow over the finale, which I can only hope does not suffer from being in the same season as this dreg. God help us all.
  • In its final days, LOST should be viewed for what it is and not what we want it to be.

I am absolutely tired of searching for answers. Let's face it, Damon and Carlton made this show to inspire awe and promote discussion. It is one of the most confusing, complicated, and intricate shows ever to air on television and I adore it for that reason. After LOST is over (in 10 days mind you), I want there to be a sense of wonder, questioning what happened. Let us not spoil everything by tying up loose ends. This episode does just that. It let's you see the true "wonder" of lost. It's a beautiful conglomeration between sci-fi and fantasy. The episode takes you all the way back to when Jacob and MIB were born and the reason for their feud in the first place. The significance of the island is finally revealed (must be why Widmore wants it sooo badly). I can't emphasize how much I respect and admire the brilliance of the writers and the powerful presence of the actors. I'm one of the people who won't spend the last precious days of LOST whining about the lack of answers. I'm watching LOST for it is and always has been: A Brilliant and Epic Story.
  • pathetically lame excuse for a theory to a great show i've been hooked on to for many years..

Quite the departure from the seemingly rational, scientific and believable nature of the show up to this point.. If this is the best the writers can do, they will in turn undo all the great work they have done the past 6 years.. the show is all about the mystery; if the mystery turns out to be lame, then the show is just lame. The writers are doing a good job at ruining what used to be a great show.I think there is a lot more to be explained from this episode. It was just a set up episode. In all to me this episode was a let down! I'm even kinda let down by the fact that MiB & his mother were Adam & Eve!
  • Weird but.. it made sense week later

Ok.. In just very obvious reasons this episode reminded me Ab Aeterno. So I had quite high hopes and thought this will have very unique point in the end.. but somehow it failed me on my high expeditions. It had great storytelling: I mean. We finally known who Jacob and MIB are and what they are.. why they are. Their motives and actions just got much clearer but was it worth spending whole episode? I mean.. time is running out?

If I would not think on time, I think it was one of those episodes Lost just goes around any "usual" schema and does something crazy and it always works. The question is how much it works but it does.. I adored Allison Janney on that role. I adored those kids and the way how two good friends were turned into enemies. So.. it was that kind of small complete story and I liked it.
  • Finally getting some Answers

we find out why Jacob and MIB are enemies, who adam and eve are, more about the donkey wheel, and where the smoke monster came from....which i still am a little confused by. I really want to know why the smoke monster makes the sounds that he makes..anyways, MIB floats into the light cave thingy, then comes out the smoke monster?weird, maybe it is like a 'temptation' kind of thing? like the forbidden fruit? eve ate the forbidden fruit and darkness was released, same kind of thing here? i like how they should jack and kate discovering adam and eve again too. but overall good episode with some answers.
  • The story of twins Jacob and, uh what's his name.

Kind of a strange episode, meant to fill in more of the island backstory. Alison Janney plays a flaky earth mother who raises the boys on the island. The story as told pecks and touches on the Lost canon and there's a lot of "oh there's that" explained. But not fully. There'll be some head scratching. The man in black growing up seems like a decent inquisitive youth who doesn't appear to be inherently evil, more put upon by the woman who raised him and his more conservative twin brother. Of the regular cast Jack, Kate and Locke make an appearance near the end, looks like a clip from a Season 1 episode? Not really a full reveal and this didn't have to wait until near the end of Season 6, it's placing here seems to interrupt the runup to the climax of the mainline story.
  • Instantly a top ten contender...

Wow so many answers, yet so many questions with a single episode. Even the answers given, are given in a way where you can interpret something entirely different than the next person. We know who Adam and Eve are, but Esau is actually dead!? We know why Esau wants off the island, but he's not really a bad guy!? And the best one of them all, we find out how Esau becomes the smoke monster. This last part is really confusing at first, but my theory is this:

Jacob drank what his mother gave him so he can be protected from time itself and look after the islands 'energy'. Jacob threw Esau into the energy which somehow caused his empty shell of a body to be found else where (not sure on this part), and Esau became what the energy was (perhaps he's black simply because it signifies his anger). So what I'm thinking is that Esau can't kill Jacob because he became the energy of the island. Which as their mother said, is life, death, and everything, maybe including time itself. And of course time can't hurt Jacob.

But that's what makes this episode so good. It did what the entire show has been doing for 6 seasons, but all within one episode. It gave us 10 answers, but 15 more questions, and so many ways to think and interpret those questions and answers. I was skeptical of this shows ending with how this season has been going thus far, but I don't think I'm worried at all anymore. Perfect 10/10 for me.
  • Spoiler review-we got some answers, but I get the feeling some things will never be answered.

An episode that dealt entirely with MIB and Jacob, no other original cast had new lines. We learn alot of whats, but no grand whys? I believe we are getting confirmation the show will be left to interpretation. The writers don't seem to want to provide firm answers to what the island really is and who MIB and Jacob are.

Episode starts with a woman washed on the beach, pregnant from an obvious shipwreck. She is pregnant and is found by a woman, played by Alison Janney. She helps birth twins, named Jacob and ? (we never hear his name) The woman is killed by Janney's character right after the birth. She says she's "sorry" before she does it. (its a recurring phrase throughout the episode before she commits violence) She raises the twins as her own.

When the twins are teenagers, MIB and Jacob start playing a game with white and black stones. Seems heavily metaphorical.. Jacob complains he doesn't like the rules, MIB states when you invent a game, you can make the rules. Janney shows twins a cave with a bright light, which is a"the heart of the island and must be protected." When asked what it is she sas something like "birth death and rebirth" and everyone has the light in them, but people are evil and always want more, but can never get enough.

The twins seem close until MIB sees a vision of his dead mother. She tells him the truth about where he came from and takes him to see that other people survived the shipwreck that brought her there and are living on the island. He confronts his foster mother and leaves to be with the men, stating he wants to leave the island. Jacob, although he now knows the truth, decides to stay with Janney's character (I state it this way because she is also never given a name)

Years later, MIB while with the men somehow figure out that if the light can be manipulated they can get off the island and mke the mysterious wheel we seen in prior seasons. The "light" is what has the strange magnetic properties on the island.

MIB tells Jacob he is leaving and Jacob tells his mother. She knocks MIB unconcious and drives the rest of the people off. MIB is infuriated and kills Janney's mother. He seems to immediately regret it, but Jacob finds him and they fight. Jacob drags him to the cave of light and pushes him in, which turns MIB into the smoke monster. His original brother is dead and he lays him next to his mother who is the "Adam and Eve" the castaways found with the light and black stones from their game they played. The end..lol

What does it mean? It seems to be delibertly like a Grimm fairy tale. The whole tale is open to intepretation and is metaphorical. The light can maybe be the garden of eden? secret of everlasting life? Tree of knowedge or god..take your pick. Its clear that Jacob considers his brother to be dead and Smokey may be his soul or something like his spirit that wants to leave, but he has the murder of his mother on his hands. Its implied he cannot leave the island because of this, and also he is no longer human, he died. Although he kept his bodies first desire to leave and go across the sea. (like the title) It is implied Janney's character is more than human herself and she was the gaurdian before Jacob. Drinking the wine in the bottle is what makes a canidate take the job of protecting the light.

I liked the episode, but many people are going to go, "huh?" Its very artisitic and simultaneously told us alot (MIB and Jacab were people, how the wheel got there, what the stones are, adam and eve, how smokey came to be) while telling us nothing (why? what is going on?). I think that was their intent..lol

Why can't Jacob and Smokey hurt each other..because their mother said so. What is the light? dunno..Why did Smokey come to be? dunno..Why is Jacob like the way he is, he drank mystical wine and I dunno..Who was the mother..besides the old gaurdian of the island..I dunno,,lol
  • A little history on Jacob and Smokey.

A little history on how Jacob became the immortal before he was killed by Ben Linus and of course how the infamous Smokey came to be. The writers really dropped a bombshell when they revealed the relationship between the two of them, Smokey and Jacob that is. Certainly explains the reason behind why they can't harm each other but need someone else to do it for them.

The episode also explains why Smokey is so hell bent on leaving the Island as well his need to kill. Clearly the dude has felt betrayal and feels that every time he might get close to somebody, he might be betrayed again.

It's been a while since an episode of Lost answered so many questions for me personally. I mean we have always wondered how Jacob was able to live for so long, and not change a bit. It would also explain how Alpert was given that ability. We have always wondered what the smoke monster was, and now we know that too. The only thing this episode left out is how was Jacob able to leave the Island to meet the various candidates through different phases of their lives? Overall if wasnt a bad episode but I think it could have been a bit more exciting.
  • Across the Sea

This was pegged as the episode where all are questions would be answered, yet I left with more questions than I had prior to this show.

Why were these two so important? Who was this woman with super human powers? Where did this light come from? What does this have to do with Bernard and Rose.

While I did not expect all of my questions to be answered by the time Lost signs off in less than two weeks (still can't believe that) I expected some rational explanation for what is going on. We did not get that here.

Nice little Biblical-esque story here, but not that impressive an episode tonight.
  • Continuation of this old story is the only thing that can save it..

At the moment I'm feeling let down. I loved Ab Aeterno so much and had eagerly looked forward to this episode. I say "at the moment" as the show isn't over yet and perhaps the triumph is still en route. But if this was the end of the story of how Jacob & MIB became bitter adversaries wanting to kill each other, dragging other 'candidates' into their conflict for centuries, then their cause needs more justification than what we got. The entire episode was instead usurped by a script that seemed to focus excessively on answering loads of smaller and less important 'tick box' questions, squeezing in as many trivial 'aha!' one-liners as possible. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but at times it seemed like Mark Pellegrino himself was smirking at the whole debacle (check out his face when carrying his brother into the cave)! Even the manner in which Mother dished out some classic Lost quotes seemed almost tongue-in-cheek, like they were being clichéd for fun! Titus Welliver wasn't at his best, although leagues above anyone else, and made MIB the only likeable character of the three. The great messianic Jacob was reduced to an insecure moron.

For me, the only thing that could save Lost is that the missing bits of this Jacob/MIB story are still out there and saved for the remaining episodes. After all, if they explained everything now there would be no twists or joy in the finale. I had a similar negative reaction to "The Last Recruit" but the following episode "The Candidate" made up for it, confirming my suspicions that it was in reality part 1 of a double episode. Maybe it was their plan to make 3 short movies for the finale rather than 7 episodes and we're being forced to endure week-long intermissions. That's the only shred of hope I have left - that they continue the Jacob/MIB history in the next episodes. But I really wanted to see a lot more of the original island brothers, 2 characters that had injected so much intrigue into the show. For me, unless we get more flashbacks or info of the later relationship that developed between MIB & Jacob, this wonderful show has been sadly sabotaged.
  • Underwhelmed

I think the major problems with the sixth season of "LOST" are the supernatural aspects that are now dominating the show. Now, don't get me wrong, I highly enjoy shows that have supernatural qualities to them, but the big difference between "LOST" and, say, "Supernatural," is the ways in which those aspects of the show have been presented to the audience. "Supernatural" is/was completely upfront about it (after all, it's the title of the show). If a ghost were to suddenly pop out in the middle of an episode there's nothing to it. On LOST, however, when Michael pops out and gives us the ultimate ghost cliché ("I can't cross over to the other side!") it feels somewhat hokey.

The reason for this is simple: when audiences first started watching LOST they weren't aware that this was the type of show they were getting themselves into. Any theories about purgatory and the paranormal were quickly dismissed by the shows producers who stated multiple times that all the shows mysteries would have scientific explanations. In fact, it wasn't until the end of the fifth season ("The Incident") that audiences finally figured out that they weren't "piecing together a puzzle" so much as they were watching modern day Greek mythology. So, in a way, the sixth season of LOST (and this episode in particular) has felt like the ultimate bait and switch.

Now, granted, the supernatural aspects of the show have been strongly alluded to throughout the series, from the cabin scene in "The Man Behind The Curtain" to Locke being "resurrected" in season five; not to mention all the references to Egyptian gods and culture. Plus, let's not forget about the giant pillar of black smoke that has been killing people throughout the entire series (I remember one person who suggested the entire pillar was made up of nanobots…boy, if they're still watching right now they're probably pissed off). So if you didn't at least partially see this ending coming I've got a bridge I can sell you…

But none of this has really bothered me (after all, if it had I would have written this review a year ago). Jacob and The Man in Black being deities or demigods or whatever the hell they are? That's fine. Sure, I was a little miffed by the bait and switch at first, but I could still enjoy the show. After all, this series is all about character development, and LOST does that better than any other show on television.

Which brings us to this episode.

I don't mind that Jacob and The Man in Black are demigods, but this episode felt extremely forced. I've always been an advocate for the shows writers and producers, but this felt like they just made it up moments before writing it.

I always thought the ending of LOST would be complex. A truly thought provoking experience. This wasn't any of those things. This was literally a deus ex machina! Jacob pushed The Man in Black into a "light" or "source" and that turned him into the smoke monster? Is that how they're going to answer every mystery on this show? We waited six years to find out that it was all magic!? Ghost Michael suddenly isn't looking so bad.

I've never been one to complain about the lack of answers on LOST, but I figured that since there were only two episodes left in the series that it was finally time to put up or shut up. Yet, in true LOST fashion, we somehow managed to get more questions than answers! Why can't these two boys kill one another? Where'd their "mother" come from? Why do they abide by these "rules" they keep going on about? Suddenly the mystery of what makes Walt so special doesn't sound very relevant anymore…

Was I the only one who got the sense that Jacob and The Man in Black only abide by these "rules" because they are, in fact, rules? That The Man in Black could easily kill Jack and company if he wanted to, but doesn't, because that wouldn't be sporting? Why do I get the feeling that this entire series will end with Jack and Locke sitting on a deserted island playing backgammon or senet with one another?

LOST has three hours left and a lot of questions to answer. It doesn't matter how good the 118 episodes prior to these three hours were. The next three hours will determine LOST's legacy. Whether LOST will be remembered as one of the greatest shows of all time or a massive joke for the next several decades remains to be seen. I hope for the former, but if this episode is any indication, we might be in for the latter…and that'd be a real shame.
  • You will either love it or hate it.

After watching this episode, the fan base of LOST will be split on the answers. They will either like how the answers will be presented, or hate it and blame the writers for not knowing the direction of the series.

I understand the hate for the episode. There were so many moments where I was frustrated at all the questions that came along the answers. I mean ... I had been furious at LOST for giving us more questions, but it's the kind of 'furious' where you love hating it. However in this episode, I'm actually furious at LOST for giving us answers.

Did I hate the episode? No. It is a huge departure (jumping the shark) from the series we have grown up with. It also presented an explanation that is borderline somewhat unrelated to the show. But it still answered the questions, and we can conclude from the theories it brings up.

The Egyptian theme has been addressed. Claudia, Jacob, MiB and her people are obviously Egyptians. Although Latin was used, Egypt has been known to use Latin after the Roman Conquest.

The Guardian role is to protect the energy of the island. The energy is shown in modern day science that it is electromagnetic fields, powerful enough to distort time (Desmond flashes), bending light (Daniel Faraday saying, "the light is scattered" / bending the light so it refracts around the island making it 'disappear' so you can only see it in a proper angle), birth (Pregnancy issues), frying brains (Desmond's conscious jumping around), etc. Therefore, the Mother and Jacob drinks the 'wine' which protects them from the energy.

The energy of the island also manifests itself as dead people. As the Mother has said, "Worst than death itself." The energy of the island has been concentrated in the form of MiB, who died when Jacob bashed his head against the rocks. Therefore, the original MiB is dead.

It is also obvious that MiB will never have a name, or leave it to the last episode. MiB also has shown his intentions of leaving the island.

Smokey is the energy of the island (one of the larger wells of EMFs on the island), therefore it cannot kill Jacob because of the wine. Jacob also cannot kill Smokey because he is supposed to protect the energy.

We can also generalize that the energy traps peoples' souls on the island. (In reality, it has been hypothesized that spirits or ghosts are related to high electromagnetic fields) However, MiB is from the 'special' pocket of EMF therefore he is more powerful (like how EMF meters spike when spirits try to do something physical, in theory).

All in all, the episode answered quite a lot of the questions. It also leaves a lot of questions that seem like they will never be answered.

We assume that the Mother has a Mother that is also a guardian. These Guardians are there to protect the electromagnetic fields of the island. The island is therefore like one of the power plants (if not the main source) of the Earth's energy, like the mitochondrion of a cell.

In the form of the wine jar example in Ab Aeterno: the cork is the island,the wine is the electromagnetic energy, Smokey is also the wine, and Jacob is the one pressing the cork down.

It is safe to assume that anything relating to the island will never be answered from this point on, or they would have been addressed in this episode.

I did not hate the episode. I am frustrated, and I'm pretty certain that the writers really had written themselves into a corner. If this is the writers' plan all along, it should be spread out a bit more to ease the audience into the lore. However, the performances of the actors, and the story makes it believable. That's what good storytelling is: to make the impossible seem possible.
  • Seriously? No really seriously? After all the mystery this is it?

Long time fan of the show.
    Went through the bad seasons and the very great ones.
    If you look back, the whole thing that makes this show great is the fact that nobody ever knew what the heck was going on. We would come up with our theories and wait until the next episode would just destroy those. But now, since the show is ending in just a few episodes, they have to come up with reasons they introduced all these weird things. And the answers are just plain stupid. Which then makes the whole show stupid. That's why I can never recommend anyone watching this show after the answers come out.
    Holy shoot this was a terrible episode because of the answers they gave.
< 1 2 3