Lost

Adrift

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 28, 2005 on ABC

• They cover the water front, and the underground too

And here we see another trick that the writers of Lost have worked to perfection: resolving one major cliffhanger, while keeping us in the dark about another. In 'Adrift', we finally see what happened to some of the people on the raft, though there are still more questions be raised.
    Michael has all the flashbacks, but the character who we see the greatest revelations about is Sawyer. After Michael goes under, and despite the fact that he's just taken a bullet into the shoulder, he dives into the water to help 'Mike' (perhaps the first nickname he's ever used that isn't demeaning), pulling him on to a larger piece of the boat, and performing CPR. This is the first truly heroic action Sawyer has taken on the show, and quite possibly in his entire life. It therefore comes as something of a real shock when the first words out of Michael's mouth are one's blaming him for Walt's being taken in the first place.
    But then this is a typical reaction of Michael: he tends to develop a certain instinct about people early on, and then refuses to trust them, no matter what they do. On the island, he didn't like it when Locke tried to make friends with Walt, and then, despite all the things that Locke did to earn his trust (including saving him and his son from a polar bear) he still doesn't There are some examples of him going past this--- he hated Jin's guts for a long time, and it was not until they built the raft together that he finally started a friendship with him---- but otherwise he refuses to deny his instincts. The only reason he wanted Sawyer on the boat was because he had things he needed, and even after everything that they've gone through, he's still not going to regard him as a friend. Even as Sawyer makes powerful arguments that the Others were the ones who took Walt, Michael continues to blame them.
    The flashback that we see of Michael reveals almost nothing new about his character--- Susan retains the attitude of the holier-than-thou when Michael fights for custody, Michael eventually gives up the fight for the good of his son, and now we see that he seems to be reliving the same nightmare over again, only now on the open ocean. But think back to the last flashback we saw with him and Walt at the airport. It's pretty clear that he wasn't going to make the most of his second chance, and was trying to ask his mother for help (there is definitely foreshadowing there) By the time he got Walt back, he didn't feel the same needs that he had eight years ago. Now it seems the island is cursing him to go through this over and over. Right now, of course, there's the small question of whether he and Sawyer (Jin is nowhere to be seen) will survive the night. In addition to all their other troubles, a shark has started to circle. Not just any shark, this animal has the same Dharma symbol, we saw in the hatch. The mind boggles at what this could mean, or for that matter, if the shark itself is real. It's true that when Michael nearly empties his gun into, its bleeds, but maybe that's a false lead to go; perhaps it's built on the same system as whatever the creature on the island is.
    Speaking of the hatch, this time we get to see a look at it from the point of view of Locke. We see how he managed to get down there in the first place, and how he dealt with Desmond. Even as he's trying to absorb everything, he does his best to try and protect Kate who Desmond has taken hostage already. Right now, Desmond sounds like he's gone nuttier than a fruit bat, which begs the question that Desmond doesn't answer: how long as he been down here, and how deep is he so that he didn't even notice when the plane crashed? (Later events involving the hatch will make this even harder to understand, if Desmond has truly been the only man down there for years) He has an old style record player, a lot of guns, and antiquated timer that makes a certain beeping sound until you walk to an equally outdated computer, and type in six very familiar numbers, after which a visible counter goes to 108.Unfortuantely, all of this stops at the exact moment we left Jack and the other last time, with one critical difference: now we know Kate is wandering through the hatch's ventilation system. The one thing that seems extra important is when Kate gets locked in the pantry, and sees that's it filled with enough food to stock a jumbo-mart. This raises two questions, where did the food come from, and how did it get down there if Desmond's been sealed in there for years? At some point, he has to have made contact with the outside world. Perhaps there's some kind of shifts every few months, but if that's the case, how did he not notice the plane crash? Again, we don't get answers on this for awhile. (This also leads to the funniest moment of the show, as before Kate frees herself, she gulps down some chocolate bars, and stuffs them down her pants before getting out.)
    'Adrift' is not as good as the season premiere, and it still does seem like we're shutting out half the cast, but it does feature some very critical moments (in addition to some stand out performances by Holloway and Perrineau) By the end, the current carries Sawyer and Michael, all the way back to the island, and when he sees it, Sawyer says 'We're home." A critical line , because Season 2 will be all about learning to live on thee island, making the best of a bad s situation. Sawyer and Michael think they've reached when they wash up on shore, and a find a tied-up, panicked Jin shouting others, with the appearance of five people. As we'll find out, despite their attitudes, they are not the enemy. Almost as important is Michael's spoken resole that he will get his son back. He will finally get what he wanted so badly early in season 1, but they will force him to do some truly unforgivable things.