Lost

All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 08, 2004 on ABC

• More delays

5.5
    When "Lost" started, it was the most exciting thing on TV I'd seen for a long time. Mysteries abounded, characters were full of possibilities and intrigue and the pilot was a major motion picture, one might say.

Alas, ca. 10 episodes into the show's run, it seems to have lost all steam. Starting just one episode after the premiere, each show focused heavily on clumsy character "development" via formulaic flashbacks and else displayed a leisurely pace when it came to developing the ongoing plot/mystery. "All the Best Cowboys..." is no exception.

So we learn that Jack is an honest guy who would stand up to his powerful Daddy and be his own man when it comes to truth and consequences. Yawn. What else is new? Like 80% of the show's flashback sequences (notable exceptions being Locke's and Kate's), this is trite, uninspired, obvious. And it doesn't add much to the story of the characters being stranded on this mysterious and dangerous island.

The writers appear to hold back the good stuff for later, the revelations about where the castaways really are, what the deal is with the "monster" in the jungle, why Locke can walk again, who the "others" are etc. And this episode is even worse for not even doing much for the most recent development, Claire's abduction by the "non-passenger" Ethan.

I'll stick around waiting for the show to get back to those things, but it had better stop boring me with stuff of secondary importance or else it has "lost" me.