Lost

Cabin Fever

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 08, 2008 on ABC

• Revelations about who Locke was --- or are they?

Considering how exciting the flashbacks of Locke have been in the series, I was understandably excited to hear that we were getting another one in this episode. For the most part, it tells us things we already know about him--- his birth mother abandoned him, he was raised in foster care, he was a loser, he loved backgammon, and he had given up on ever walking again. However, 'Cabin Fever' shows us that even from the beginning of his life, Locke was special--- or was he? Later events will suggest that even now he might have been manipulated, and that manipulation is still going on even on the island.

We see that from the beginning of his life, he defied the odds. Born three months premature, he then fought off a series of illnesses to come out of the incubator. When he was given up for adoption, Richard Alpert was there watching him. Why is not clear yet, but he visits Locke at the age of five, saying that he represents a school for very special children. There, Locke clearly drew a picture of a man being attacked by a pillar of smoke suggesting that somewhere in his DNA, he knew something about the island. Richard then presents Locke with six objects--- a baseball glove, a Book of Laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. He then says to him: "Take the ones that already belong to you." This would seem to be a test for the island. Locke takes the vial of sand, and the compass. Richard seems pretty excited. Locke then leans in, looks at the Book of Laws.--- Alpert looks like he's going to burst--- and then John chooses the knife. Considering how closely Locke is associated with knives (and later events) we would think this is the right choice. (especially cause we've still got no idea what the Book of Laws is) Whatever the reason, Richard turns away, and Locke is left behind.

Question: what is Richard doing in John's past, again appearing ageless. Back in season 4, the popular theory was that he was time traveling to the past exploring for candidates to be the chosen one. However, later evidence suggests that didn't happen. Richard was looking for Locke, but because of events that preceded what happened in this episode. It still doesn't explain why he looks exactly the same in 1956 than he does in 2004 (in fact, it makes it even less comprehensible) It does suggest why Richard may not have thought Locke was special but thought Ben was.

In high school, Locke is still getting stuffed in lockers, and even less popular. Again, he gets an offer from a science camp in Portland (not that different from what Juliet was offered), but Locke refused to give in, even though he's good at science. Locke's repeating of his motto "Don't tell me what I can't do," seems to show just as when he was an adult, Locke never trusted his own instincts. He did what was popular rather than what he was good at. And in the end, all it brought him was more pain.

The most telling flashback takes place in the hospital and involves a man we've seen before--- Matthew Abaddon, now disguised as an orderly. We then see him try to boost Locke's confidence, and plant the seed of the idea of the walkabout in his head. It's still unclear who he's working for, or why he seems so certain to try and put Locke on the path that will lead to the island. There were all sorts of theories about him after this--- one suggesting that, like Richard, he doesn't seem to age. I never bought this theory because a) it's only been, at most, five years between when we see him here, and 'The Beginning of the End', and b) Lance Reddick is such a skilled actor, he could be playing late twenties to early forties and you still wouldn't be sure unless the show told you. (I never could tell how old Cedric Daniels was on The Wire.)

On the island, Locke is still trying to find his way, but he seems to be getting waylaid. He then has a dream of Horace Goodspeed, who tells Locke he's been dead for twelve years, and seems to imply that he was the one to build the cabin that houses Jacob. Again, later evidence would suggest that this is highly unlikely, if only because the Dharma Initiative never seemed to have a clear idea just how special the island was. Otherwise, why would they have been fighting the others. Nevertheless, Locke does find a map in Horace's pocket that does seem to lead to the cabin. However, if this is true, how did Ben find Jacob in the first place? This would seem to be an indication that Jacob hasn't lived in this cabin always (and there's a strong implication he never did)

Eventually, Hurley is the one who finds the cabin, but we're still not sure how. Locke walks in the front door for the first time, but Jacob isn't there--- Christian Shephard is. Now since we saw him here last time we saw the cabin, that's not so strange. But Claire is also in the cabin, and she seems so at peace, the theory that she was dead would seem to hold some merit. Furthermore, rather than answer questions, Christian keeps asking them, finally forcing him to ask the question they need to know Given what we know now, it seems pretty clear that Jacob never asked these questions, especially because Christian is no longer wearing the suit he was buried in. Locke is still being manipulated, and he doesn't know how.

Ben probably could provide some answers, but for the first time since we've known him, he seems more passive than we've ever seen him. Is he upset that he has been usurped by Locke, or (more likely) has the death of Alex has taken all the fight out of him? Something's deflated him, and when he decides not to go into the cabin, it seems that he has nothing left to fight for.

Of course, all of this could be irrelevant based on what's happening on the freighter. What remains of the mercenaries have made it back, and somehow Keamy has survived, and he's is royally ticked. But for some reason, being attacked by the smoke monster hasn't made him want to run; he's just moving on to his secondary protocol. This causes Captain Gault, who is watching his ship fall apart, to mutiny. He helps Sayid and Desmond begin a plan to get everybody off the island. Then he tries to attack Keamy and tell him that this is too dangerous. But Widmore must be paying him a huge sum, because all he does is start killing people again, first the doctor, and throwing him overboard (and no, I still haven't figured out how he managed to show up on the beach yesterday), and then by shooting Gault. Frank clearly wants to rebel, but he's clearly no longer a willing participant, and he does his best to try and save the people on the island. (He would have been a bigger hero if he crashed the plane into the ocean, but maybe he knew there was still something he could do.) Keamy is going to kill everyone on this island, just as Ben prophesized --- unless they can do what Christian said and--- wait for it--- "move the island." Yeah, I thought it was lunacy, too, but given everything we've seen on the show so far, it doesn't sound that crazy, even then.

As any episodes that focus on Locke and Ben are, this was one of the high points of the season. Considering that a lot of the information we later learned was red herrings is what keeps me from ranking among the best ever. Still, the fine work of even a muted Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn's usual fine work makes this well worth watching. Locke probably was chosen, just as this episode says, but he kept denying his destiny. But if he'd known what being chosen truly meant, he might have thought twice about what he was being made to do.
    Score:9.2
  • What the heck is going on?

Locke has flashbacks to when he was born and when Richard thought he was special. Also, he has a high school flashback and a flashback to a conversation with a man telling him about the walkabout.

Locke, Hurley and Ben trek through the jungle in search of the cabin. Locke has a strange dream, where Horace, a dead Dharma member, tells him how to find the cabin. Locke goes to the Dharma grave and finds a map. He finds the cabin and goes in. He finds Jack and Claire's father, Christian, and Claire. Christian tells him to move the island.

On the freighter, Keamy finds out that Michael is the spy on the boat. He tries to kill him. The captain sends Sayid out to rescue the survivors. Desmond stays behind. Keamy takes matters into his own hands. When Frank refuses to fly the helicopter, Keamy kills the doctor. He also kills the captain. While flying over the island, Frank drops off a map to Jack and the survivors at the beach.

This episode was great! It was so confusing though. I want to know what's up with Christian and Claire. I really have no clue what's really going on. Apparently, the island is foward in time and not just time, but like time! That didn't make sense huh? Well, I give this episode a 9.5!
  • Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Really, Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Honestly, I would have settle for the scenes with Locke, Ben, and Hurley. Hurley asking questions, John Locke trying to answer them and Ben just being his arrogant jerk of a self. The scene where they were standing by the Mass-Grave of Dharma people was freaky and cool at the same time. Locke's dream was really freaky, even it couldn't prepare us to see the mass grave and Ben's explaination. Also, I loved when Hurley gave Ben the piece of his candy bar!! too funny.

Plus we learn that Martin Keamy is a sick and twisted man and who killed the Doctor.
  • A Locke-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that all things considered, I enjoyed this episode, but I didn't like it as much I usually enjoy Lost. Although, Locke is one of my least favorite characters on the show, so I usually don't enjoy his episodes very much. One thing that I did like about this episode were the flashbacks of Locke's life. I thought that they were very interesting, and I liked getting to see flashbacks of Locke's life when he was a kid and when he was a teenager. I do think that this episode did a really good job of leading into the season finale though. In closing, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost, but I still thought that it was pretty well written, pretty well acted and pretty well made from everyone involved in the making of it, and I'm really excited to watch the three part season four finale of Lost again.
  • With superb character development for Locke and Ben and guest appearances from Lance Reddick, Nestor Carbonell and Doug Hutchinson, Cabin Fever is a fine example of why Locke's episodes always deliver to the fans. Major spoilers.

The episode starts off with a flashback to a time before Locke was born. We discover that Locke's mother Emily had gotten pregnant with an older man that her mother didn't approve of. As she tried to run away however she was knocked over by a car and went into early labour. After John Locke is born, Emily realises that she is too young to become a mother and runs out. However one of the creepiest moments in the scene has to be when Emily's mother notices a strange man watching John from afar...and we realise that it is Richard Alpert, looking exactly the same as he always has. Who is this guy and why does he not age?
    We then go to a flash of when John was five. He is in one of his many foster homes and soon his mother announces that a professor from a special school has come to offer John a place...and once again Richard walks into the room. Richard tells John that he has to pass a test and then lays out a number of items which include: a comic book, a bible, a vial of sand, a compass and a hunting knife. After observing these items, Locke chooses the knife but Richard is clearly angered and tells Locke's mother that he is not ready for the school. It is clear to fans that this scene is going to be one that we will have to closely analyse when confronted with Richard Alpert again. Why did he freak out when Locke picked the knife and what was that look of satisfaction on his face when Locke was handling the compass and the sand?
    Locke's next flashback takes place when he is 16 and at school. His science teacher pulls him out of a locker that he has been stuffed into, after trying to fight with some older studants. His teacher comforts him and says that a special school by the name of Mittelos Bioscience (sound familiar) wants to recruit him for a summer school but Locke is immediately questionable and refuses to reply to them. When his teacher begins to tell him that he cannot live the life of a sportser and that he is destined to be a scientist, Locke screams his catchphrase and leaves the room. The final flashback of the episode (and you thought the previous four had been ambigious) takes place after Locke has broken both his legs. As he is being taken back to his hospital room by an orderly we realise that the orderly is none other than Matthew Abbadon, the creepy guy who visited Hurley in the future and was behind recruiting the science team. Abbadon talks to Locke about hope and destiny and then tells Locke that he needs to go on a walkabout to find himself. Locke is at first skeptical, after all he is in a wheelchair, but it is clear that he takes up the idea or he wouldn't have been on 815. But why did Abbadon pose as an orderly to talk to Locke? Why did he mention that they may see each other again? And did Abbadon know that Locke would end up on the island if he took Flight 815?
    And now we come to the action on the island, which almost takes a backseat to the strange things that we are seeing in Locke's flashbacks. Locke, Ben and Hurley are still having no luck in finding Jacob's cabin but after having a vivid dream in which Horace Goodspeed tells him to go to the Dharma grave, Locke realises he is one step closer to his destiny. At the Dharma grave, Locke finds Horace's body and discovers a piece of paper in his pocket which turns out to be a map to Jacob's cabin. Apparently Horace was building the cabin before he died. With new directions the three set off and reach the cabin by nightfall. One character development through the episode seems to be how Locke is taking over Ben's role. After Locke has his dream, Ben recalls a time when he used to have dreams as well and realises that his time as Jacob's spokesperson is finally over. However instead of shooting John in the back as he has previously done he admirably accepts his fate and sends Locke into Jacob's cabin alone. Outside Ben and Hurley share one of the all time funniest moments in Lost when they share an apollo bar together. Inside the cabin Locke is confronted by Christian Shepard who reveals that he is not Jacob, but can speak on his behalf. Locke then realises that Claire is in the cabin and acting very strangely but she refuses to say how she came to be there. Finally Locke asks how he can save the island and Christian gives him an extremely strange answer...Jacob wants him to move the island. How can Locke move the island and if he moves it, then where will it end up? A side bar storyline that is going on in this episode is the story on the freighter. Frank, Keamy and the rest of the mercenaries return and reveal what happened to them at the Barracks. Keamy seems angry that Widmore refused to tell him about the Black Smoke and decides to go to the secondary protocol, which is that the mercenaries must go to the Orchid station to find Ben, because that is where he will go in times of trouble. Apparently orders were to get Ben from the orchid and then torch the island, killing everyone on it. Captain Gault tries to stop him but Keamy shoots him dead in cold blood. Frank at first refuses to take them to the island but after Keamy slits Doc Ray's throat, Frank agrees to protect everyone else's life. However he double crosses Keamy by putting a tracking signal on the helicoptor and then dropping the radio over the beechcamp. After Jack retrieves the radio he realises that the helicoptor wants them to follow it. Elsewhere on the freighter Michael is tied up for his crime of sabotaging the engine room, whilst Gault gives Sayid the Zodiac raft so he can go back to the island and start bringing survivors back to the freighter. Desmond refuses to go, saying he vowed never to return to the island if he left so Sayid goes alone, not knowing that Gault was murdered by Keamy or that they are on their way back to the island to torch it.
    Overall Cabin Fever was one of the biggest highlights of season 4, in that it dealt with action scenes, mythology and character development. Locke taking over Ben's role was almost emotional, especially how Michael Emerson played it and Kevin Durand's performance as Keamy was almost good as Andrew Divoff's performance as Mikhail. Cabin Fever certainly set up for the season four finale and leaves the audience thinking how the Oceanic 6 are going to get together and finally get off the island.
  • Brings up interesting insights into Locke's background.

I started off in Season 1 with John Locke being my favorite character in the show. Slowly that began to change and Ben Linus was pretty even with Locke, just due to the mystery of his backstory. Eventually, Richard Alpert has become my favorite character - I really want to know what his history is. So this episode, featuring all three in significant roles, was one of my favorites. I know other reviews speak in detail about what happened specifically. What I loved, however, was how it showed that Locke was indeed special - or at least had the promise of being special, from birth. How is this possible? Who was Locke's father? Why was he not special enough to join the "hostiles" (Alpert) before he crashed on the island? If he is so special to Alpert and Jacob - how does this explain what eventually happens to him in Season 5? So many questions...but so perfectly Lost.
  • A episode that can be great or good, with good setups, a imcomplete FB or without meaning yet and a interesting mini Adventure that ends up with a intriguing and vague ending.

Plot Details/Objective -» Locke is the remaining character to be explored as the Main character in this episode before the season finale. This make things more difficult, because all about Locke was explored before in his past. But the Writers tried to tie with everything they could. Take for example Richard sudden appearance when Locke was born, why? This is a answer only for season 5 or 6. Even when Richard visited Locke, this is only a setup to explain more later. The last scene tried to make sense with Locke desire to be…….and that man that appeared for Hugo, he was with Locke before, and this feel forced, but we will see why he appeared in this flashback in the next season.

What I Like/Disliked -» I didn´t appreciate Locke editing flashbacks, It seemed not only forced some scene that tried to tie with the next two seasons, but the fact that you don´t have time to really appreciate none character development or any explanation. Like I predicted that was Christian that would talk with Locke and the writers managed to hide the secrets of the Island, because they are in a hurry. The ending was Lost Typical ending that I appreciate.

Overall:

Presentation -» (7/10). What was good at the presentation was the freighter situation, simply started to be interesting.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Locke trying to find Jacob Cabin. The FB don´t enter here, The situation on the Freighter was more interesting.

Climax -» (8/10). The freighter situation with some deaths was more intense than any other scenes there. When Locke arrived and enter the Cabin was nice too, but nothing superb here.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). The type of ending that only Lost can deliver, strange, vague and mysterious.

Flashbacks -» (6/10). Nothing good here, because I can´t see the connection here. The details was nothing more than a tied technique, the more powerful technique that every writers has. Until the next season explain two scenes there, I stick with my rating.

Time and Scenes Management -» (9/10). The Locke´s FB was something that will have meaning more later, can´t say that all the scenes was for nothing. Locke mini adventure was intriguing as usual and the freighter scenes were intense.

Dialogues -» (9/10). The usual dialogues quality of Lost.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). A mini adventure that ends with a intriguing and vague mission.

Drama/Emotions -» Didn´t notice any type of drama here.

Suspense/Tension -» (8/10). The freighter had some good scenes filled with tension.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). The usual good quality, nothing great here, until the confusing and vague ending mission.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The ending, Claire appearance and Richard and that strange man being in Locke Flashback.

The FB seemed forced, the writers used the tie technique, putting some characters that we already know in Locke FB. The freighter plot is nothing more but a setup and Locke adventure ended the way everyone could expect, vague and intriguing. This episode is great, but can feel incomplete, but overall at least is a good episode.
  • Locke is singled out as being more important to the show's mythology than all of the other characters.

I was one of the few that wasn't the biggest fan of this episode. This mostly has to do with the show's implication that John Locke must be the most important person on LOST. Sure, there was always something interesting about John, but I liked when they towed the line of "is he special or is he just a weirdo?" Now it seems full fledged that he has a destiny that is more important to the grand scheme of things, and his overall connection to the island is getting a little too sci-fi weird for my taste. Now we have to move the island? What? It's reasons like this that some viewers ditch this show. Let's keep things practical, please.
  • I have to go back.......and watch this again.

This awesome Lost installment has it all with hidden clues, mysterious visits, a few tests of faith, some deaths and a long awaited return to a certain cabin... Locke, Ben and Hurley set out to find Jacob's bachelor pad and Locke is given startling information on what he must do to protect the island from the freighterinos. Meanwhile on the freighter, things are getting tense as the mercenaries embark to commence the island bloodbath even if they must torture and murder to make it happen. This episode is clearly split in two; the laughs and mysteries being in the Locke, Ben, Hurley half with the action and suspense located on the freighter. The thing that doesn't belong are Locke's flashbacks which really don't seem to contain any of the above elements that would make it memorable even though Richard's un - aging ability raises a few eyebrows.

If anything, this episode is an elaborate drum roll to the epic finale which comes next and believe me, once you've seen the ending, next week can't come soon enough.

With this episode we say an abrupt "goodbye" to Dr. Ray and Captain Gault who are both killed by a visibly cold - blooded Keamy. Despite having the acting range of a tree; Keamy is the most evil character seen on Lost ever and we can't help but pray for the island inhabitants since he is leading the team who are en route to the island with the motivation to kill.

We also say two surprised "hellos" to Horace Goodspeed and Michael Abaddon, these two shady personalities are seen by Locke that offer advice to him but also raises questions.

I must express my disappointment surrounding Locke, Terry O'Quinn won a well - deserved Emmy for blowing us away last season but here he just seems asleep and hits all the obvious buttons. If my review makes little sense to the Lost rookies it reflects the actual show that has passed the setup point and is getting into the meat of the good-versus-evil battle and the voyage to find a way home, only time will provide the answers and outcomes.
  • A Locke episode

We open this episode with Emily, in the sixties being knocked down by a car and taken to hospital, where she tells them she is pregnant and gives birth to a boy. She asks them to name him John. Through out the episode we see John growing up as a child, and through different stages of his life. The helicopter arrives back at the ship. Sayid plans to go back to the Island with Desmond but at the last minute Desmond pulls out. Locke, Ben & Hugo go to find the cabin, where Jacob is. When the pilot (Frank) doesn't agree to fly the helicopter back to the island, one of them kills the doctor. He then also kills the caption of the ship. Frank then hires up the helicopter and they take off. Back on the island they see the helicopter and something drops out. It's a tracking system. When they arrive at the cabin, Ben and Hugo both decide not to go in, so Locke goes in alone. They wish him Good Luck. He goes in and there is someone else there (the man that visited him all though years ago as a child), who says he can speak on Jacobs behalf. Claire is also there. He tells John to ask the one question that really matters and John asks "How do I save the island?"

When he comes out he tells Ben and Hugo that Jacob wants them to move the island. They both look at him as if he has lost his mind. How can things happen on the island (like dead bodies) before they have actually happened?
  • Full of surprises!

The Flashback: I believe this is the first flashback this season. Well, for a Locke flashback, it wasn't really any good other than the fact we see how special he really is and how much the others have already been following him ever since.

The Island: Well, in Locke's camp (or what's left of it), they're just basically going round and round. The only thing they have to lead them is Locke's dreams and I don't think much people trust him on that. We discover something that they have been looking for for quite a while now, but it's what lies inside this thing that is most surprising.

The boat people are coming and I can sense an all out war.
  • =]

Locke becomes enlightened after learning the whereabouts of Jacob's cabin, and life aboard the freighter becomes perilous. In flashbacks, young Locke meets Richard Alpert and after being paralyzed, he encounters Matthew Abaddon. One of my favourite Locke episode. I have to say I don't really like Locke's episodes the best but this episode was amazing. I loved it. If his episode are always going to be something like this, then bring them on..! It was that good! I loved the scenes on the island too. I can't wait to find out who the black guy is though. Bring on next weeks episode..!
  • I should have reviewed this earlier- fantastic

this episode has not a flash-forward which has been regarded as typically season 4, but a flash back for our favourite rambo wanna-be John Locke. Her we witness his birth to Emily (his mom) we find out that his dad is twice her age???(can it really be Cooper then???) and that when he is roughly 7 or 8, Richard comes to visit him with a number of items asking him "which one belongs to you?" other revealing notes are that Aboddon is the man that tells him to go on the "walkabout" and that Keamey is on his way back tot he island with frank to wreck havok.
  • It just gets better and better!!

"Cabin Fever" is one of the best episodes of the series, I really enjoyed the whole episode there wasn't one bad part to it, the flashback was the weakest part to the episode because I thought the only good parts were Abbadon and Alpert's scenes, oh and the young Locke saying "Don't tell me what I can't do".

The Freighter parts were amazing, I really like the character of Keamey, he is one of those characters you love to hate. Wonder what that devicce was on his arm. Totally didn't expect the captain to get shot. The scene when Sayid was driving back to the island was great, I got goosebumps.

The short beach scene was cool, I actually Found Jack funny for once. Then the helicopter came back WOW!

Well the main story to this episode was Locke, Ben and Hurley trying to find Jacobs cabin, Locke's dream was wierd and spooky as usual. There were some funny lines aswell like the part were Hurley asks what happened to Dharma and John replied "Ben happened" thought it was very funny. Scary scenes were in the actual cabin with Jacks dad and Claire they were both very scary and what was the matter with Claire's eyes? The ending was a shocker and really confusing, How do you move an island?

"Cabin fever" was a excellent episode of Lost which is right up there with the best episodes of this show.
  • more questions without answers

Wow, what can I say?. I have no words to describe this unbelievable episode. Let´s start.

While John, Hurley and Ben are looking for the famous cabin, Said, Desmond and Michael continue in the boat. Something wire is happening here, because they wanna destroy the island, and almost kill Michael. The Pilot, now is realising that he is not with the good guys, and try to help the Jack´s group throwing their a transmisor to follow they. Continuing with John, a the rest, he finally find the cabin, and what is the Big Surprise???? who is in there??? OMG, Claire and Jack´s father.... Amazing!

I love this show, really, really love it, but I have to say, that in this episode I don´t understand a thing.
  • The ballad of the Penchen Lama

The return of Richard Alpert is only the tip of the iceberg for a most pivotal "Cabin Fever", Locke's ultimate flashback episode, that takes us back to day John was born and survived against all odds not only a premature labor but also an accident that almost costs his mother's life. It's perhaps, this characteristic – that he also shares with Ben Linus – what attracts Richard Alpert's attention who drops by as ageless as ever to perform the most peculiar test a few years later: see John "left" an item that belongs to him among 6 objects that Richard carries with him and if he can recognize what's his then he'll join a "very special school" that by the time it could only be lead by the Dharma Initiative. However John chooses his trade mark knife Alpert is disappointed, the object does not belong to him, a fact that later on is reassured not only his high school teacher trying to pick John's interest in science but also by one Mr. Abaddon who finally introduces him to the idea of the Walkabout that finally lead John to the island.
  • Decent episode but they are getting a little carried away with the magical stuff they are starting to get a little weird, but the show is still good right now. (spoilers)

So we see Jack's Dad again as well as the cabin in this episode. I didn't care for all the crazyness they are starting to get weird about the stuff on the island. I still can't wait because now we are getting closer to the season finale and the next two weeks should be really good.

It sound like Fran is the only good one besides Sayid, Desmond and Micheal on the boat. He was trying to help the people by dropping the phone over them on the island and giving them warning about what was about to happen.

We will see tomorrow what happens with the people on the island and if there is some type of battle coming soon, I think there will be isome big battle in the last episode of the season, that is kind of how season 3 ended.
  • A great set up for the final, a little confusing but awesome regardless

Okay, when the episode bagan, I was thinking, "What on earth is this?" I didn't understand what was going on before John Locke was born. I was thinking that LOST had been canceled lol. I thought I was witnessing a disturbing 70's classic film.

It was awesome, and finally we see an episode with flashbacks for once about John's young life. Obviously we know that Richard doesn't age, or he travels through time. It's the only solution to this. He was the same age when John was speaking with him about killing Tom Sawyer as well as Ben Linus as a child running through the jungle in Man Behind The Curtain. This episode was very much like The Man behind the Curtain. Awesome, more on the Jacob part, Ben acting strange because goofd old John Locke has taken his place as Jacob's only friend. Great to see more of the Dharma part. It seems that Season 2 was it's own story since there is nothing more on the Dharma. On the freightor, Keemy executed the Captain which I was annoyed about. His actions are serious for Charles Widmore. The final leads us to ask the question, will Widmore suceed and how will our survivors get off the island?
    Finally, the conclusion with John coming face to face with the man in hiding, Christian Sheppherd. Claire Littleton herself was in the cabin, following Christian's instructions.

So, perhaps it was really Christian standing there on early Season 1. Somehow he escaped the death in Sydney and made it out that he was dead. Then going back, Ana-Lucia Cortez and James were the last people with to see him before his disappearance. It's amazing, the whole suspense has given me high thoughts on next week's episode before the two-hour season finale the following week... I'm impressed.
  • The stakes keep going up as a phenomenal season heads towards its climax.

Locke hasn't had much to do character wise this season. The writers clearly want to keep what happened to those still on the island a secret so most of the cast, whose back stories have been explored well enough, didn't get much in the way of centric episodes (it's odd this season didn't do a Sawyer episode). This episode is the closest this season's gotten to a traditional flashback episode. Locke's role on the island is about to become very important. He's been claimed as the new leader and protector of the island and as the episode ends, the enemy has touched down on its soil. So it's a good choice to explain how Locke got there, which goes back to beyond his birth.

This episode serves as a worthy companion piece to "The Man Behind the Curtain" in many ways. It revisits several settings and elements like the cabin, the mass grave, Jacob and Horace's Sisyphus-esque cameo. They both deal with how the respective character gained control as protector of the island, including premature birth around the same stage in the pregnancy, losing a mother named Emily (albeit in different ways) and encounters with Richard Alpert involving some element of island mythology they wouldn't know otherwise, in Locke's case his picture with a man in peril an a pillar of smoke. Some suspect that Locke's flashbacks at 5 and 16 coincide with Ben's birth and arrival on the island. The flashbacks also feature another actor playing the character at greater length than other episodes, where it'll be relegated to the prologue or first act. Highlighting the similarities fits this episode, as Locke begins to have some sort of respect for Ben.

In the "Meet Kevin Johnson" review, I remarked how the island keeping people alive wasn't that far fetched an idea considering how other characters have been spared from harm by some providence (Michael himself was spared a gunshot to the head this week). This couldn't be more appropriate for Locke. Born three months premature to a mother who just got hit by a car, he warded off illness and grew up otherwise healthy and that doesn't even compute surviving an eight-story fall with only a broken back or a plane crash that should've killed everyone on board.

Following Alex's murder, Ben is showing something we've never seen him show before, resignation. Of course, losing his daughter is a big contributor to this sleepwalking, but the big piece is that he feels his time on the island as its protector is over. It's hard to believe that Ben has become sympathetic to some degree. The moment where Hurley shares his candy bar (which looked like a brand name and not Dharma) comes off as oddly touching. With that, we have to consider his future where he has a renewed resolve in the war between himself and Widmore and what happens between now and the moment he arrives in the Sahara that reinvigorates him.

Horace's remark that he's been dead for twelve years has generated a lot of discussion about contradicting the timeline or even retcon. That statement would place The Purge at 1992, four years after Rousseau arrived on the island. Shortly after she gave birth Alex was taken. So how exactly was Ben a father to Alex for four years if he had to maintain a façade of loyalty to Dharma? It's possible Horace isn't a reliable source of information as he is a vision, but hopefully there will be an explanation in a future Ben episode.

With the cancellation of "Cane", Nestor Carbonell is free to return as Richard Alpert, and he plays an interesting part in this episode. Alpert, who resembles John Hamm from "Mad Men" in this episode, once again shows his lack of aging appearing in young Locke's life after he's born and at five years old. This also has been accused of retcon with Locke not remembering him when he first encountered him on the island last season. Obviously he wouldn't remember him after birth (the flashbacks serving narrative function). As for when he picked the wrong item of the six, would it be realistic for someone to remember what a guy he met for two minutes forty years earlier looked like?

In the DVD commentary for "The Man Behind the Curtain", Damon Lindelof compares Alpert's role in The Others' society to the Panchen Lama, second to the Dalai Lama who finds what they believe is the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama when the old one dies. This is recalled when Alpert asks Locke to pick what item "belongs" to him, which is similar to a well known test to determine the new Lama. If the previous leader(s) did die(d), that adds credence to Locke's flashbacks at 5 and 16 to take place parallel to Ben's birth and arrival on the island. They also reference X-Men with Alpert's description of a school for people who are "extremely special".

It's interesting that The Others' front, Mittelos (in this episode Laboratories), tried to recruit Locke as a teenager. Perhaps Juliet was picked to come to the island for something other than her expertise in fertility.

Then we have Abaddon appear as an orderly at Locke's rehab facility planting the idea of going on a walkabout, the thing that would get him to Sydney and eventually the island. Now it may be that Abaddon and Alpert are their respective opposite. Widmore, suspecting Locke was the heir apparent for the island's throne, sent Abaddon to put the gears in motion that would take him there in hopes that it would give him access Ben would never allow. This may foreshadow his return in the finale.

Christian appearing in the cabin, claiming to speak on Jacob's behalf is one of the trippier moments of the episode. Why Jacob wouldn't appear directly could point towards more manipulation and "the island's conning Locke" theory that was popular in the second season. There had to be something with Jack's father's body not being in the casket when he found it back in the first season and now we're seeing the beginnings of that answer.

Claire, acting a little under the influence, doesn't seem that concerned with Aaron (some have criticized her for not caring more for Charlie this season as well). Assuming she isn't dead, it would be a fair assumption to believe that Christian (Jacob) took Claire to the cabin for safekeeping as the mercenaries prepare to invade the island. Since the cabin doesn't have a fixed location (except when Locke finds that map), it's safe to protect her so she can raise Aaron when the dust settles. However, why is Aaron, under the care of Sawyer and Miles heading back to the beach, "where he's supposed to be"? This may refer to a temporary caretaker and they failed to consider someone else taking him off the island in the battle.

The idea that the island can move has been around for a while, at least as far back as the introduction of Eko's plane. There's no way a Beechcraft 18 could make it from Nigeria to the island. The mobility of the island may explain how the Real Henry Gale's balloon got to the island as well. Moving the island may be through time as well as/instead of space, which adds another layer of complications to the mix.

Jacob's decision that the island needs to be moved could explain how only the Oceanic Six make it off the island, as well as Ben's appearance in the desert wearing a parka with the same Dharma logo on the top secret plans Keamy claims will help them locate Ben. It all ties to what many believe is The Orchid Station. Ben and presumably Widmore know that station is where they need to be to move the island. That place may be cold or the island may move somewhere colder shortly before Ben jumps to the Sahara. The Oceanic Six may be the first six people the Zodiac raft picked up before the island moves, where the castaways can't find it on a second run or as they speed away from the island.

Gault, the captain Michael warned Sayid and Desmond couldn't trust, turns out to be not more than a patsy. Keamy, who has become a formidable antagonist, walks all over Gault and is the only one of the two who had knowledge of the plan to "torch the island". Gault may have been hired simply because he can command a ship.

A lot of emphasis is made on the device strapped to Keamy's arm, so much that he thought that was enough of a deal to get Gault to stand down (or perhaps part of a con to distract Gault long enough to get a gun and kill him). An initial theory is that it's some heart rate monitor, where if it goes too low it'll set off some explosives, likely on the freighter. Whatever it is, it'll likely play a big part in the finale.

One major stupid moment occurs when Gault, who has Keamy at gunpoint, turns away to ask what the device strapped to Keamy's arm is. This is the guy who slit an innocent man's throat and threw his body overboard to prove for point a minute earlier and he's going to look away for a second? This was an ultimate contrivance where they had an otherwise reasonable character do something stupid so the story could reach a certain point.

Desmond staying on the freighter may spell his doom, but it also may be why he isn't one of the Oceanic Six. I'm reluctant to say Keamy's device causes the freighter to explode, as it would be too similar to the raft pack left to die by The Others in "Exodus Part 3". Some suspect in a twist of cruel irony, Penelope finds herself on the island shortly before Locke "moves" the island, reversing the dynamic. It would be interesting because Desmond's cowardice was partially responsible for both. That may be interesting, albeit tough since Sonya Walger has two other shows to juggle.

Obviously the confrontation between the mercenaries and the castaways isn't going to end well. Knowing the future, Jack misreading Frank's warning of the satellite phone as a method to find Keamy rather than avoid him, will likely prove a fatal mistake. That makes Sawyer and/or Sayid's arrival to warn them of their true intention likely to happen too late in the proceedings for Jack and company to do anything about it.

This episode does a good job of giving Locke, who hasn't had as much to do this season, a major spot in the storyline as the showdown between the castaways as a whole and the mercenaries on the freighter draws close. This season has so far hit most of the right marks and the road to the finale is no exception. The tension is high and with only a few people guaranteed safe and major answers on the horizon, it looks like the finale will easily deliver on many of the promises this season has made.
  • OH WOW

To say that we knew little about Locke before last week is an understatement. But, WOW, how much more we know now. It still feels like we have only scratched the surface of this man called Locke. I am beginning to think that my theories of Locke being the lynchpin character are right. So many things in this episode point to him as being the most significant piece of the puzzle. I was totally creeped out by the black smoke monster picture that Locke drew as a little boy. It really fed into the feel that the island is a destiny that is inescapable. Because although John wasn't able to go the special school as a boy, he ended up where he would have been taken. I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time. The ending with Christian and Claire has me chomping at the bit for this week's episode. I can't WAIT to find out what that was all about!
  • Another wow episode which continued to increase the anticipation for the season finale.

First in the flasbacks we come to know that John Locke was always some kind of a chosen one. Richard went to see him when he was young.

Meanwhile on the freighter we continued to realise the time difference between the island and the rest of the world. The doctor's throat was slit a day after the losties found him on the beach.

Locke found Jacob's cabin and when he went in it he found Christian Shepard and Claire in it. Claire looked very relaxed in the cabin. Meanwhile Christian told him that to save the island, they had to move the island.

This will make the season finale very interesting to say the least.
  • Good intro, good outro and Darma is back in the picture ! I start rambeling from here ...

spoilers !

I have to say this was a very good episode !
    First of all i have to thank vicqueto for seeing the link between emily beeing ben's and Locks' mother. That is exiting news witch explains why Ben sad that hey where diferent in that kind of tone...I asume diferent fathers but with emily dating a guy 2 times here age that will probably be the same guy. ( and a new secret )

This was a episode with a lot Lock and new or long-time-not-seen faces. Personaly i thought that went a little to fast because i have problems remembering all that. But this is no complain to the show ! I realy like stuff like that, for example the guy in Lock's dream!

I was almost afraid in the flashback with the black man pushing Lock's weelchair that he woud be jacob or something. That woud have been cheap and they didn't do that ( thanks! ) So he will be in the finale to make things extra hard for Lock ( i woud think because he ows him one apearently ) In other flashbacks emily is running out on baby-john and when the guy comes again when he is like 5 orso there is no sight of emily.Still, he has an older sister and younger brother ( baby-ben or is that stratching it? And from who is that baby-boy? From emily or her mother? )

2 things i likes about the ending.
    1st is that we see claire back and she has been ... let's say enlichted (typo,i know) and seems so happy maybee knowing that her boy will be in jacks good parenting hands??

2nd thing is ofcourse the last line. "he want us to move the island" I won't go wilt on this one but all i'm thinking is .. whell how the hell is sweet Sayid and his little boat going the get to the island if they move the damned thing :)
    Maybee some hardcore-adiceted-fan has a headcount of the people in the future-flashed and count if they can fit in that little boat of his?

Is it just me or is it just my feeling that the writers are now realy back in the series? It sure feels this way and Lost is fully back in the game !
  • emily locke's mom! ben's mom was emily too. brothers then?

could locke and ben be brothers? on this episode we learned that emily is locke's mother. on episode 'the man behind the curtain' (season 3) emily was ben's mom... coincidence?

right before locke found horace's body, ben had a 'no, he found it' expression on his face. to me, it made me think still plays for all teams. looks like he 'wanted' to find the cabin. once inside the cabin, i was freaked by claire's evil smile. it was like she knew everything now. the big question now is: why is christian shepard on the island?

in the hospital scene, i was impressed by alpert showing up there. later on, when he came to locke's house, i think he was not disappointed at all after locked selected the knife. i believe he was impressed, freaked out but he made it seem like he did, acting as if locke failed.

do the objects locke selected have a meaning? or is it just a resemblance to objects used on the island... knife, compass and -sand-...
  • Great episode. (includes spoilers)

After last week's episode, which was far from perfect, I give this episode a full 10! First of all Jack hardly appeared in this episode – which was great, cause I'm kinda getting tired of him. Not that I have anything against him, and I will always like him cause of Party of Five, but still enough is enough. I loved the whole cabin search part of the episode intertwined with flashbacks to John's childhood. Ben's dialogue was brilliant as always and Hurley was entertaining as usual. Big surprise to find Claire in the cabin. I'm betting that she was wounded pretty badly in the explosion and that she actually died, which would explain why her father took her with him. But still, I can't explain that weird smirk she had on her face when John approached her. Weird.

The interaction on board the ship was pretty intense and very interesting (I really hate Keamy). One small mystery was at last solved as we got to see how the creepy Doctor ended up washed on the shore with a slit throat. And once again, we discover that Michael can't die (what a shame, he's really getting on my nerves). I can't believe the Captain was killed. He was actually one of the nicer people aboard the ship and I was hoping we'd see more of him. Can't wait for next week's episode!!!

On a side note, Desmond is my favorite character and has been since he joined the show, but, I have to admit that Frank Lapidus (Jeff Fahey) is slowly taking over that spot with his small but excellent appearances throughout the past episodes. He's just an amazing. I loved the way he tried to refuse to take Keamy on the chopper and how he threw the satellite phone out of the chopper for the survivors. I just hope we get to see more his story and that he doesn't end up like the captain.
  • Not what it could have been.

This was a entertaining episode, however it could have been so much more.

The Jacob confrontation - or not - was the most interesting let-down ever. To explain, it was not what I wanted, I didnt get enough, but what a brilliant surprise. It's good to see Claire will be playing another interesting role.

This episode probably had some of the most interesting flashbacks of the entire series. On top of that it was nice to see them take the different approach to flashbacks, it worked in the episodes favor, adding a nice sense of pace, to a rather uneventful episode.

Ben and Lockes discussion and all that stuff about being 'chosen' gives for some very interesting musings at the fate of the 2 charecters. The additional conversation on Dharma was also rather satisfying. This episode is the calming before storm, a great drum-up for the seasons finale, it did plenty of stuff and had some nice variety, but it was touch bland and not as satisfying as it could have been.
  • good episode...

This was a pretty good episode - not amazing, but still good. Locke is going off trying to find the cabin while the freighter army people are going back to the island to kill everyone...interesting. I was sad that the caption was shot, well, not really, I just liked his voice...I liked how Desmond stayed on the freighter and Sayid left - it makes more story lines and it makes it more intersting when they're on their own. I loved the whole part with Jacob, well, it wasn't even Jacob. I guess I got really confused when I saw Claire with him, even though he's her father, it was just...odd that he would give up her baby that easily. I'm very intersting in seeing what he'll bring to the story, other than being the father of Jack and Claire. I liked the flashbacks; very interesting. Overall, good episode.
  • John Locke the miracle bastard baby and night of the living dead.

I loved this episode. So many questions, so many questions! Just for once I'd like more answers than questions but what are ya gonna do?

Apparently the island has been trying to recruit John (the world's oldest-looking 48-year-old, or am I doing the math wrong?) since the 1950s, possibly even fathering him by a mysterious man in his 30s (twice the age of the mother who was apparently a teen ager around 1956). I think this will be important but I can't predict how right now. The test Richard gives him is the same test they use for finding the new Dalai Lama. They show a child items the old Dalai lama owned (with other items thrown in) and see if the child picks the right ones. Why Locke botched the test (intentionally or because he's not the one) is still up in the air.

The island is operating in the future. That's how the doctor washed up on shore before he died. But wait! Didn't a missile fired from the boat arrive after it the boat showed it landing? That would indicate that the island was operating in the past. Which is it? Maybe it's both. When Locke reports they are supposed to move the island I suspect that will be in the 4th dimension (time) rather in the other three. But we'll see, won't we...

Keamy sure goes the extra mile in his mission. Why? The other freighties seem pretty much ready to say "I didn't sign up for this," when the going gets tough. Not Keamy though. Pretty much like it's personal. There must be a story there. But maybe he just has a better work ethic than his fellow employees.

Oh, the living dead. Is Claire among them? She sure wasn't herself. As someone who would do anything to protect her baby she sure gave him up lickety split. Does not compute. Let's talk about Ben. Do I think that he's really all that resigned to the fact that the island hasn't picked him anymore so he's just gonna slip away into the background. Oh Heck No! He's playing Locke like a fiddle, as per usual. And now that I'm thinking about it, if Locke had been the chosen one going right back to his premee birth, why wasn't he on the list when they dragged survivors off into the woods on the first few episodes? Seems like he would have been. For that reason I feel like they are adding a story line that they didn't start with. Things get messy when that happens. Remember the X-Files. It went nowhere. What a mess.
  • How Do I Save The Island?

Really good epsiode overall I thought, with the first couple of flashbacks leaving a little more to be desired. I liked the episode much better upon rewatch when the first couple of flashes didnt take me to 10:20. I enjoyed the dream sequence a lot with Locke and Horrace and I have missed the dreams like those that Locke has had over the years. This one was certainly interesting, with the dream seeming to repeat on a loop (I think it was 3-4 times that it did this). Im not sure what it all means yet, but if we see Horrace again maybe we can get some more background information. Ben was great in this episode as well and it seems to me that the guy just works well with everyone on the show. The scene at the very end of the episode with Hurley and Ben was amazing and I would have LOVED if it had cut to LOST right after Locke asked the question that he had come there to ask.

Speaking of which, certainly a very odd and strange journey Locke and Ben are about to undertake in. They need to move the island, whatever that means. Move it to a different time, maybe? A lot of time has passed between where we are now on the island and where we are now in the flash-forwards (Sun just gave birth meaning 7 months ahead?) I dont know if the writers plan to fill in those gaps or if this moving the island adventure will jump them forward in time. Also to mention is that Keamy seems to all ready be on-island, so moving the island is only half of their problems.

Lockes flashback was certainly interesting, in two scenes anyway. The first two scenes were only highlighted by the return of Richard Alpert, who has been following John much longer then we thought. The scene with the items that John must choose was very interesting and should provide much to debate about around the forums. The best idea I have read to this point has been the thought of reincarnation - "No, John. Which of these items ALL READY belong to you?" Is Locke the next Jacob, is that what Richard was looking for.

The scene with Matthew was also a great one. The last line of that scene sets up a Abbadon + Locke reunion sometime in the future. Im not sure how I feel right now about Matthew telling Locke to go on his Walkabout, but it will do for now until we get a little more information. Overall, the flashbacks get a grade of a B, only because the other three were so plain and "whatever" quality.

Cabin scene was amazing. I knew Claire was going to the Cabin with Christain and something has happened to her. I have no idea what is going on with Claire but Im happy to see her vault into the main storyline for a chance. Aaron is now with Sawyer, who will soon transfer to a member of the Oceanic Six. Hurley also needs to get in gear, but a sense another Locke / Rest of the group showdown coming soon so we will see what happens with that. Jack wants to go after the plane, but Sayid should show up just at the right time to warn them of the upcoming danger and the war will begin in the next epsiode. Overall, very solid episode which due to the flashbacks finishes right there in the middle of the season.

Season Four Rankings

The Shape of Things to Come (10+)
    The Constant (10+)
    The Beginning of the End (10.0)
    The Economist (9.5)
    Meet Kevin Johnson (9.4)
    Cabin Fever (9.4)
    Something Nice Back Home (9.4)
    Confirmed Dead (9.3)
    Eggtown (9.2)
    The Other Woman (9.0)
    Ji Yeon (8.6) Season Four Average --> 9.44 (.01 behind 24 Season Five for the best season of all time, for me)
  • Let's start moving...

Wow.. I have always enjoyed Locke episodes as he is very unique char - very out of usual standards. His storyline with faith and premonitions - it is just great. And this episode is not below the expectations - if not the best Locke episode, then on the top defenetly.

First the whole cabin thing - it has been haunting around for quite long and it looked like there is room some answers. But I think more than answers we did get more question. First, Claire.. What is she doing? What is her part? And the way she spoke about the baby? It looked like she has made 360* turn to evil, maybe.. why not. Something new for her.

But we did get one answer - Jacob is not Jack's father but still mystery remains. What he does on the island? Did he woke from death when he ended on the island? Anyway, I adore the mystery.

Also, the flashbacks to show more of the Locke's past - there is still so much to know - I liked the task when he had to choose something and he picked the knife. What it all meant? I have no idea... and the man who was on ER and later talked with Locke.. I had seen him before.. anyone have the idea who he was?

And the things on ship.. and the helicopter.. it was just a great episode.
  • Awesome Episode About John Lock. Don't Enter if you didn't watch the episode yet !

Actually it was very good and exciting episode. Talked about John Lock's life in the far past which was some thing missing for lock's Flashes.

Also it showed very surprising connections between the characters ( Richard & John ) , ( Matthew Abdon & John ). LOST is going to be more mystique towards some characters. I think that the writers should concentrate about some characters who weren't explained to us , Like : Richard , Daniel , Matthew Abdon , Penny , Charles Widmore and More ... I think that will make LOST more exciting and have more plot.

The final part of this episode was very exciting. Finally we knew some things about Jacob And what happened to Claire.
< 1 2