Lost

Cabin Fever

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 08, 2008 on ABC

• Brings up interesting insights into Locke's background.

I started off in Season 1 with John Locke being my favorite character in the show. Slowly that began to change and Ben Linus was pretty even with Locke, just due to the mystery of his backstory. Eventually, Richard Alpert has become my favorite character - I really want to know what his history is. So this episode, featuring all three in significant roles, was one of my favorites. I know other reviews speak in detail about what happened specifically. What I loved, however, was how it showed that Locke was indeed special - or at least had the promise of being special, from birth. How is this possible? Who was Locke's father? Why was he not special enough to join the "hostiles" (Alpert) before he crashed on the island? If he is so special to Alpert and Jacob - how does this explain what eventually happens to him in Season 5? So many questions...but so perfectly Lost.
  • =]

Locke becomes enlightened after learning the whereabouts of Jacob's cabin, and life aboard the freighter becomes perilous. In flashbacks, young Locke meets Richard Alpert and after being paralyzed, he encounters Matthew Abaddon. One of my favourite Locke episode. I have to say I don't really like Locke's episodes the best but this episode was amazing. I loved it. If his episode are always going to be something like this, then bring them on..! It was that good! I loved the scenes on the island too. I can't wait to find out who the black guy is though. Bring on next weeks episode..!
  • It just gets better and better!!

"Cabin Fever" is one of the best episodes of the series, I really enjoyed the whole episode there wasn't one bad part to it, the flashback was the weakest part to the episode because I thought the only good parts were Abbadon and Alpert's scenes, oh and the young Locke saying "Don't tell me what I can't do".

The Freighter parts were amazing, I really like the character of Keamey, he is one of those characters you love to hate. Wonder what that devicce was on his arm. Totally didn't expect the captain to get shot. The scene when Sayid was driving back to the island was great, I got goosebumps.

The short beach scene was cool, I actually Found Jack funny for once. Then the helicopter came back WOW!

Well the main story to this episode was Locke, Ben and Hurley trying to find Jacobs cabin, Locke's dream was wierd and spooky as usual. There were some funny lines aswell like the part were Hurley asks what happened to Dharma and John replied "Ben happened" thought it was very funny. Scary scenes were in the actual cabin with Jacks dad and Claire they were both very scary and what was the matter with Claire's eyes? The ending was a shocker and really confusing, How do you move an island?

"Cabin fever" was a excellent episode of Lost which is right up there with the best episodes of this show.
  • more questions without answers

Wow, what can I say?. I have no words to describe this unbelievable episode. Let´s start.

While John, Hurley and Ben are looking for the famous cabin, Said, Desmond and Michael continue in the boat. Something wire is happening here, because they wanna destroy the island, and almost kill Michael. The Pilot, now is realising that he is not with the good guys, and try to help the Jack´s group throwing their a transmisor to follow they. Continuing with John, a the rest, he finally find the cabin, and what is the Big Surprise???? who is in there??? OMG, Claire and Jack´s father.... Amazing!

I love this show, really, really love it, but I have to say, that in this episode I don´t understand a thing.
  • The ballad of the Penchen Lama

The return of Richard Alpert is only the tip of the iceberg for a most pivotal "Cabin Fever", Locke's ultimate flashback episode, that takes us back to day John was born and survived against all odds not only a premature labor but also an accident that almost costs his mother's life. It's perhaps, this characteristic – that he also shares with Ben Linus – what attracts Richard Alpert's attention who drops by as ageless as ever to perform the most peculiar test a few years later: see John "left" an item that belongs to him among 6 objects that Richard carries with him and if he can recognize what's his then he'll join a "very special school" that by the time it could only be lead by the Dharma Initiative. However John chooses his trade mark knife Alpert is disappointed, the object does not belong to him, a fact that later on is reassured not only his high school teacher trying to pick John's interest in science but also by one Mr. Abaddon who finally introduces him to the idea of the Walkabout that finally lead John to the island.
  • Decent episode but they are getting a little carried away with the magical stuff they are starting to get a little weird, but the show is still good right now. (spoilers)

So we see Jack's Dad again as well as the cabin in this episode. I didn't care for all the crazyness they are starting to get weird about the stuff on the island. I still can't wait because now we are getting closer to the season finale and the next two weeks should be really good.

It sound like Fran is the only good one besides Sayid, Desmond and Micheal on the boat. He was trying to help the people by dropping the phone over them on the island and giving them warning about what was about to happen.

We will see tomorrow what happens with the people on the island and if there is some type of battle coming soon, I think there will be isome big battle in the last episode of the season, that is kind of how season 3 ended.
  • Great episode. (includes spoilers)

After last week's episode, which was far from perfect, I give this episode a full 10! First of all Jack hardly appeared in this episode – which was great, cause I'm kinda getting tired of him. Not that I have anything against him, and I will always like him cause of Party of Five, but still enough is enough. I loved the whole cabin search part of the episode intertwined with flashbacks to John's childhood. Ben's dialogue was brilliant as always and Hurley was entertaining as usual. Big surprise to find Claire in the cabin. I'm betting that she was wounded pretty badly in the explosion and that she actually died, which would explain why her father took her with him. But still, I can't explain that weird smirk she had on her face when John approached her. Weird.

The interaction on board the ship was pretty intense and very interesting (I really hate Keamy). One small mystery was at last solved as we got to see how the creepy Doctor ended up washed on the shore with a slit throat. And once again, we discover that Michael can't die (what a shame, he's really getting on my nerves). I can't believe the Captain was killed. He was actually one of the nicer people aboard the ship and I was hoping we'd see more of him. Can't wait for next week's episode!!!

On a side note, Desmond is my favorite character and has been since he joined the show, but, I have to admit that Frank Lapidus (Jeff Fahey) is slowly taking over that spot with his small but excellent appearances throughout the past episodes. He's just an amazing. I loved the way he tried to refuse to take Keamy on the chopper and how he threw the satellite phone out of the chopper for the survivors. I just hope we get to see more his story and that he doesn't end up like the captain.
  • 'The Island wanted me to get sick, and you to get well. My time is over John '

You know, I haven't written a Lost-review since Season 1.

I promised myself not to write one until the show ends. But I had to. I loved this episode. My favorite since Season 3's 'The Man Behind The Curtain'.

Oh, where to begin?
    Let's do the Flashbacks. I loved the teaser. Locke's mom, Emily. Back in the 60's? She got hit by a car when she was Six Months pregnant. After Locke was born, she didn't want him anymore and gave him away. I loved how creepy-Richard was watching over him.
    Yeah, Richard, one of the highlights. We hadn't seen him since Season 3's finale. And it was SO good to see him again. I love that guy... so much mystery. Just like with Rousseau. I also enjoyed the flashback with Abaddon. Who else thought he was going to throw Cripple-Locke off the stairs? That guy is really creeepy. On the Island in the Freighter, there's a lot of drama going on. it was before Keamy left to go to the Island. They had Michael chained and tortured. I'm surprised with how much i'm liking this new version of Michael. What else happened? To summary things short. Sayid left the Freighter to go to the Island. And Keamy was the one who cut Doc Ray's throat and shot the Captain. Yeah, my least favorite part of the episode. I don't see why the writers introduced SO many Freighters just to kill them off. It seemed very unnecessary. I can understand Nadia. But why George? Regina? Ray? and most of all, Captain Gualt. That guy had so much to give. I mean, his last episode was Meet Kevin Johnson, when Sayid gave Michael up. It ended with that cliff hanger. Three episodes later, Michael is chained up and Gualt gets shot and killed? I feel cheated somehow. Enough rambling. I still looved the episode. And most of it was because of the Island stuff. Locke had a dream including Horace, who told him to find his body. Which had a map. It was about time the writers made him reappear. I loved all the Ben-scenes. He's been such a strong character this season. I felt bad for him, really. My favorite scene was when Locke entered the Cabin and found Christian and... shockingly, CLAIRE. She didn't seem to care about her baby. A lot of people think she's dead, but I doubt it. I think she just knows everything now, the importance of the Island etc. And she thinks that giving up her baby is probably the best thing to do.... or, she is in fact dead. I guess we'll see.

Amazing episode. really. loved it.
  • Many questions are answered...and raised in this Locke-Centric episode.

Wow, this episode really came back after last week-not so much that it was fast paced or terribly exciting, it was incredibly revealing, deep, and set up some major events for the future. This episode succeeded in answering enough questions to keep you satisfied, but left so much open it leaves you wanting more. A fine episode that is definately on par with the rest of the season.

So much happened, I cannot give a full recap, but here are the high points.

Keamy and the mercenaries return to the chopper-we also get to see the full effects of what Smokey can do. Keamy is also throwing his weight around by giving Cpt. Gault orders-he also tries to kill Michael for his betrayal, but his gun jams, I wonder... We also see Keamy being rigged up with what looks to be a heart monitor, he also warns Gault later not to shoot him and he points out the device-my guess is if his heart stops, something goes kaboom. Keamy also orders Lapidus to take him back to the island to finish the job as according to a secondary protocol-Lapidus does not want to, but relents after Keamy murders the doctor (slices the throat, hence last week) and kills Captain Gault. Lapidus attempts to warn the survivors by activating his Satellite phone and throwing it to the survivors.

Happy Birthday Locke! Well, we get to see his birth anyways...seems that he was born premature and managed to fight off plenty of illnesses. He also gained the attention of one Richard Alpert, who visited Locke as an infant, a child, and sent him info on Mittelos while he was in school. Locke is visited by Horace, the dead Dharma mathematician who is building a cabin in the woods, though Horace has been dead for 12 years. He tells Locke that to find the cabin, he has to find him-so Locke and company go to the mass grave and Locke finds a map inside Horace's pocket. They find the cabin again with only Locke going in. There he meets Christian Shepard who claims he can speak on Jacob's behalf-interestingly enough, Claire is there too-in an attempt to preserve her life from the mercenaries. Christian asks Locke why he is there, Locke says because he was chosen, and Christian confirms this. Christian also asks Locke what the most important question is-Locke asks "how do we save the island?" Locke returns to Ben and Hugo who are sharing an Apollo bar, when Ben asks him what they do Locke cryptically answers "He wants us to move the island".

Great episode, many things were answered. There is a definate discrepancy in time as illustrated by the mercenary receiving Daniel's morse code message and the doctor's murder. Christian Shepard is in league with Jacob, very interesting. Moving the island? It's not like they can get a U-Haul out there, which means there is some sort of metaphysical occurance that permits this to happen. This episode is highly indicative of Season 4 and it's high level of quality. It was great to watch and one of the reasons why Lost is such a wonderful show.
  • An amazing package of everything that makes Lost the best show on TV right now.

So... how'd you like this fine episode?

Last week we took a break from all the WTF and bizarre storylines, and focused on character development. Uhm.. well.. it was truly only a one time thing.

"Cabin Fever" was true to the season's scheme, and we got more plot than character development. However, as I said, that's not an issue. Especially not when a well developed character is in the center.

Let's break this one down in 5 parts.

1. The trek(Ben, Locke, Hugo) - Awesome. The opening was very "Deus Ex Machina" / "?" - like with the creepy and truly bizarre dream sequence. I don't know what to make out of it yet. Horace built Jacob's cabin? But how did it start moving? Or why? Is Horace Jacob? Obviously not. But then who is Jacob, and why is he in Horace's cabin? Why was the dream sequence very similiar to a time loop?(Tree being chopped, then it's back up, Horace repeating same things over and over again). Why did his nose bleed? Time travel? That small scene alone raised more questions than the previous episode. You decide wether that's a good thing or not. I think it's great - it's what Lost is mostly about anyway.

Moving on: the dialouge was fantastic. I really enjoyed the Ben-lines - and his honesty. Hugo was his usual self, providing some good comic relief. And Locke - he seems to be the Chosen One. Ben's comment about him manipulating Hugo - very well put. Locke, the next Ben? The only thing that was a bit weird is Hugo's involvement. He wasn't neccessery afterall,which was a tiny bit disappointing. All considered, the trek was a superb storyline, which I enjoyed more than the trek in "The Man Behind the Curtain".

Score: 9.5

2. The cabin(Ben, Locke, Hugo, Claire, Christian) - Unbelivable! All the build up paid off perfectly well. Very satisfying. I was afraid we wouldn't get enough cabin time - but we did. The episode was extremely well constructed, and the little comic relief in the end was a SUPERB idea. I'll get to that in a bit.

The cabin scene itself -- man, awesome directing by Paul Edwards. Christian manages to be creepy in every scene he's in. And, the lighting has a big part in that. Finally. Finally we had a healthy island-Christian - someone else conversation. It took 4 seasons, but it was worth it. He confirmed that he isn't Jacob - so who is? Let's go back to 4x1 - "The Beginning of the End". We clearly saw Christian in the chair, but then someone else popped up at the window. I think he was Jacob. But who that guy is, good question. I always had an impression it was Desmond, and I still do, but I can't really back that theory up(apart from that Desmond's heavily involved with the time travelling aspect of the show and the eye in 4x1 was similiar to his).

Anyway - the best part of the cabin scene was still, the part where Locke meets Claire. What happened to her? Is she even alive?(Maybe she died in the explosion?)Or is she drugged? But you know, let's say she's perfectly healthy and is not drugged. If that's the case then WOW. What did Christian tell her to change her? She was as freaky as Christian - smiling, hanging out in the cabin, not caring a bout Aaron - The writers did the right thing giving her this major storyline.

And then, the comic relief I was talking about: Hugo sharing a chocolate bar with Ben.My jaw was on the floor, then quickly switch to them - I started laughing. Very well done! Am I missing something? Oh yes. The final line. "He [Jacob] wants us to move the island". WHAT? That is the best punchline of the season, beating out "I have a man on their boat". I immediately thought that moving the island means moving it in time, not physically. Interesting stuff.

Score: 10

3. The Freighter(Freighties, Sayid, Desmond, Michael) - The best freighter storyline yet! Keamy is an awesome villain. I'm so glad they didn't kill him(yet). The captain - awesome too. Well, was. In 4x5 we were given an impression that he was this really cruel and unforgiving figure, but it turns out, he's not. I'm sad he was offed, but that was the only way to go, honestly. Now, to me, the best freighter moment was the scene where Keamy tries to shoot Michael. Awesome use of the Michael can't die plot element. Another goldie - Keamy killing Doc Ray. I didn't see it coming, even though we knew it was going to happen...

Did anyone notice that the backup plan had a Dharma logo on it? I wonder what that means. Anyway. Sayid goes back to the island without Desmond - I was a bit disappointed. In Desmond. I understand his motives, but he's being really selfish.

Score: 10

4. The Beach - 3 long minutes only, but I thought it's worth a mention. Frank drops off a satphone to help the survivors locate the choppers. Now we know what the finale is going to be about. Another trek to another end of the island! Not surprised. Season1,2,3 all had this. But no, it's not a bad thing. It's great. Especially because it made Frank even more awesome(and he was superawesome to start with!). If it's not Ben who gets to kill Keamy, I want him to do it.

Score: None(bonus points rewarded, however)

5. The Flashback - We've seen many Locke flashbacks. But this one... was really different. Mainly because it was so different. It was like learning about a new character. It's hard to make out any sense of the flashback, for now anyway. But it was interesting and exciting nonetheless. Key moments: Richard visiting the hospital, Richard "testing" Locke, Teenage Locke an expert in science, Abbadon escorting wheelchairLocke. Interesting fact: Locke's mother is called Emily. Ben's mother is Emily too. Just a funny coincidence? All in all, superb flashback, but somewhat messy. Obviously, that was the point. Once we understand what are the motives of Richard and/or Abbadon, this whole flashback will make much more sense. But this way - it was just a 15 minute dose of WTF, which is great, but it can be frustrating for some.

Score: 9.0

General thoughts:

This was a very well put together episode, with no real issues. The flashback could've been a bit more fluent, but it's connection with the island story made up for that. And the island plot - almost flawless.

The writing was perfect. Maybe Ben's fickle b*tch line was a bit corny, but it was funny anyway. Interestingly, one of the writers of this episode(Kyle Pennington) haven't done anything before this episode of Lost, only a mini movie. I wonder how he got in. The other writer, Elizabeth Sarnoff is known for her random performances - her work is either a hit or miss. Hit this time.

Also, the music: this episode had the best score of the season so far, I thought. The beginning of the episode, Locke approaching the cabin, Sayid leaving on the boat(reused theme from S3 finale) - they really made the episode more memorable.

Final verdict:

After all this "oh my god. This.. and that... and this and that was AWESOME!!!1111" I don't think this will be a surprise:

10.
  • Locke learns his purpose. Kimi takes over as the antagonist. richard and the creepy dude have been following Locke his whole life.

wow. just wow. There were multiple holy sh** moments. This was one of the best episodes this season. They're slowly bringing Locke back to where he was in season 1. I'm psyched for where this is all going. Can't wait for next week.

Also, this episode opens the door to new theories. Why have Richard and Agamamonmamsm chasing Locke since he was young? How important is Locke? Is Locke being manipulated by the island? Who is Jacob? Is Jacob Lock? Is there a reason that JAcob wasn't in the cabin? etc etc etc... Awesome episode. Can't wait till we see what happens when they get off the island.
  • Finally a Locke episode :)

That was a fantastic episode of Lost, especially if you are like me and are a Locke fanatic. It was awesome to see the beginnings of Locke, from childbirth and onwards. Also it seems from the very get go of his life, Locke was chosen to be the savior of the island. The whole thing with Richard and then the whole meeting after physical therapy with Matthew Abaddon was just so amazing and well written with so much foreshadowing all over it that just made me personally feel like in heaven when watching the episode. Also I am really liking how the thing with the boat is going. I was really expecting that to be a dull point in the show, but to me at least it's quickly becoming the people on the beach who are becoming a real bore to me. Anyway, Lost was fantastic as always and I can't wait for next Thursday :)
  • One of the greatest episodes in season 4, but we really got cheated out of the ending.

Summary: Ben, Locke, and Hurley head off to Jacob's cabin to meet Jacob. Captain Kiwi goes insane and starts to murder his own people. Flashbacks reveal Locke being chosen by the island.
    Pros: The interaction between Locke and Ben in this episode is priceless. But what makes this episode for me is Keamy. If you would have told me a year ago that a freighter was going to steal the spotlight from Jacob...But he really did, and I have to say congrats to the actor (I forgot your name...) The Locke flashbacks were pretty cool as well and helped to set the mood of the episode. Cons: Short and simple, the ending. Not only were we cheated out of seeing Jacob, but also treated to one of the most bizarre cliffhangers ever. And the Locke flashbacks, cool as they were, really had no bearing on the show. Overall: A fantastic episode that ended up keeping the fast pace of "The Shape of Things to Come", and one of the best episodes to date.
  • John Locke the miracle bastard baby and night of the living dead.

I loved this episode. So many questions, so many questions! Just for once I'd like more answers than questions but what are ya gonna do?

Apparently the island has been trying to recruit John (the world's oldest-looking 48-year-old, or am I doing the math wrong?) since the 1950s, possibly even fathering him by a mysterious man in his 30s (twice the age of the mother who was apparently a teen ager around 1956). I think this will be important but I can't predict how right now. The test Richard gives him is the same test they use for finding the new Dalai Lama. They show a child items the old Dalai lama owned (with other items thrown in) and see if the child picks the right ones. Why Locke botched the test (intentionally or because he's not the one) is still up in the air.

The island is operating in the future. That's how the doctor washed up on shore before he died. But wait! Didn't a missile fired from the boat arrive after it the boat showed it landing? That would indicate that the island was operating in the past. Which is it? Maybe it's both. When Locke reports they are supposed to move the island I suspect that will be in the 4th dimension (time) rather in the other three. But we'll see, won't we...

Keamy sure goes the extra mile in his mission. Why? The other freighties seem pretty much ready to say "I didn't sign up for this," when the going gets tough. Not Keamy though. Pretty much like it's personal. There must be a story there. But maybe he just has a better work ethic than his fellow employees.

Oh, the living dead. Is Claire among them? She sure wasn't herself. As someone who would do anything to protect her baby she sure gave him up lickety split. Does not compute. Let's talk about Ben. Do I think that he's really all that resigned to the fact that the island hasn't picked him anymore so he's just gonna slip away into the background. Oh Heck No! He's playing Locke like a fiddle, as per usual. And now that I'm thinking about it, if Locke had been the chosen one going right back to his premee birth, why wasn't he on the list when they dragged survivors off into the woods on the first few episodes? Seems like he would have been. For that reason I feel like they are adding a story line that they didn't start with. Things get messy when that happens. Remember the X-Files. It went nowhere. What a mess.
  • This "adjustment" season has been weird, from great episodes (The constant), to all action episodes, to episodes you want to erase from your memory (Eggtown), Lost's soul felt somehow "Lost", but with Cabin Fever my faith is back! AMAZING!

*May contain spoilers*

I just want to say I loved this episode; I barely blinked during its 42 minutes. For us who love connections, mystery, mythology, old school Lost and John Locke, this episode was perfect. It's the right set up for the season finale.

A traditional jungle journey, a revealing flashback (Welcome back Richard! Why was John's grandma so freaked out with Richard's presence?) , and intriguing Mathew Abbadon (Is he going to be set up as Jacob? Maybe not…), a scary treat from the freighter folks (Why didn't Des go with Sayid???? What's next for him on that unfriendly freighter!!!) Claire possibly dead! I love that part hehehe… I'm sorry, I've never been Claire's fan, but I like her better in this evilish ghostish way… Hello Christian Sheppard! And John's final order "We have to move the island" WHAT?! Where or even better, HOW???

Really nice episode, and I hope the three hour finale stands by this standards… this is the Lost we (Or at least I) love!
  • Holy S***!!

Lost can`t stop getting freaking mind blowing can it? :O
    A locke flashback on his childhood, adolescence and part of his adulthood. Very interesting things were of course Richards (the guy just don`t get old) and that black guy who I`m sure Locke will indeed meet again. Pretty interesting to see Locke draw the black smoke monster when he was a kid, looks like he is indeed the chosen one.

The most thrilling thing of the episode was most definitely the cabin. Certainly something the audience was dying for since Jacob`s first appearance last season. We did not get to see Jacob himself but Christian who spoke on his behalf. I think Jacob is actually some kind of spirit that just takes form of dead people. Actually, I saw the Christian Shepard thing coming as I always firmly believe that there was a relationship between Jacob and Christian. But the big OMFG moment in the cabin was the fact that Claire was in there!! Hell, is she dead???????? Looks fine and not upset at all. Mind blowing stuff. And of course the whole thing just end with a hugeee bang, the quote of the year "We have to move The Island"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    F*** YEAH!!
    Of course there were the boat scenes as things gets more and more intense! Keamy (reminds me of Rambo Lol) is getting crazy as Sayid heads back to the island with a boat. Would love some fight between Sayid and Keamy!
    One of the most interesting thing of the episode was the Doc`s death...looks like time just don`t pass the same on the island...but yet another genius strike.
    On the beach, Frank sends a phone to the Losties. Jack thinks that it is to follow him but is it?
    Bring on the next one!!
  • Back to season 3 standards. Fantastic.

This is the episode I have been hoping for all season. Having waited over 9 months after the fantastic season finale of season 3, I've been pretty disappointed with season 4. We've had the flawless The Constant and the exciting Shape of Things to Come but other than that we've had some pretty limp, slow episodes, most demonstrated by the dreadfully disappointing Meet Kevin Johnson. THIS episode is what I've been waiting for. Classic flash backs, island based references to flashbacks, island mysteries touched upon, Richard being back, Jacob, night time! Fantastic stuff and I just hope they keep it up for the 3 episode finale. Can't wait but please don't let us wait so long between the end and the start of season 5...
  • One of the best Lost episodes I have seen so far!!!

Cabin Fever had all of the Lost features I have come to love. It actually had a Locke flashback, mystery, surprises, and some answers. We get to find out what happened to Claire, who has been hanging out in the cabin, and what happened to the doctor. It also hints that the island may be moving and how Locke is soon to be crowned the leader of the Others. It was really interesting to see how the island has been watching Locke his whole life and to be reminded that Richard never ages. Best of all it left me wanting more, I can't wait for next week!! Watch this episode if you haven't already, I know I will be watching again before next week.
  • Awesome Episode About John Lock. Don't Enter if you didn't watch the episode yet !

Actually it was very good and exciting episode. Talked about John Lock's life in the far past which was some thing missing for lock's Flashes.

Also it showed very surprising connections between the characters ( Richard & John ) , ( Matthew Abdon & John ). LOST is going to be more mystique towards some characters. I think that the writers should concentrate about some characters who weren't explained to us , Like : Richard , Daniel , Matthew Abdon , Penny , Charles Widmore and More ... I think that will make LOST more exciting and have more plot.

The final part of this episode was very exciting. Finally we knew some things about Jacob And what happened to Claire.
  • Locke's origins revealed: he is a miracle baby! Of course, he is also gifted, so Richard Alpert must give him a very bizarre test to determine if young Locke is "special". The Losties have trouble coming, Sayid to the rescue. Will Locke be "chosen"?

A very important episode of Lost, and definitely one of the best in the season. Locke's childhood is revealed, and with this come several revelations. He miraculously survives being 3 months premature and a barrage of infections, gets visited by the ageless Richard Alpert only to be denied, refuses science, and is guided on his journey by Matthew Abbadon (who works for Widmore). This flashback is among the most revealing in regards to the nature of destiny and the time anomalies on the island. Young Locke seems to already know items he will possess in the future, and this worries Richard. Locke could be the one who restores destiny and ends the time paradox created by the island. Could Richard be trying to impede this, or does he believe the route Locke is taking to be unsuccessful? Either way, the flashback gives us a revealing look into the nature of destiny, and the possibilities of time loops and course corrections that were alluded to in the Desmond episodes. Abaddon's presence adds another interesting question to the story, as we are still left guessing motives and wondering who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The action on the freighter added some nice action and suspense that will lead us into the action-packed finales, but the flashback and the action with Locke on the island were the true steak and potatoes of this episode. Speaking of which, Christian Shepard is back! WOW! While we knew Christian had been in the cabin before, this was still a pretty awesome moment. And then, as mentioned last week, there is Claire right along with him. And she seems different now, as if she has been enlightened to the meaning of the Island and now plays a more important role. I personally love Claire, and am glad to see that she will now play a major role in the overall plot. Once again, Michael Emerson is masterful as Ben, who finally seems to have lost control. While in the past Ben has always seemed to have a plan to continue on his quest, the death of Alex has really affected him. His character continues to develop even with limited screen time. So now Locke knows what to do, and he lets us know before the episode ends. This episode really had it all: excellent flashbacks (to different periods of time), character development, revelations, action, dream sequence w/dead character. The writers really jammed a lot into this episode because of the shortened season, and it still managed to be well-paced. My one qualm with this episode was that Jacob was not revealed to us, as I thought he would be due to last week's preview. Chock it up to ABC promotions, but I expected to see Jacob! Anyways, I loved the episode and can't wait to see how things unfold. One things for sure: Locke had better move that island!
  • Another amazing episode in a rollar coaster of a season.

Great to see Locke getting another episode.
    It was interesting to see the conditions of John's premature birth after a car accident, and his constant struggle with illnesses for awhile. It emphasized his survivor and fighter sides that we see later in his life. But I was hoping to see a young Cooper at some point.
    The return of the ageless Richard was a nice surprise, to see how he tries to shape and guide 'special' people, like Locke and Ben, early in life. It raises some interesting questions.
    My biggest question goes towards Abaddon. Why is he telling Locke to go on that walkabout? Did he know Locke would end up on 815 if he did? And if the freighter army is there to kill everyone, and if Abaddon's group was part of the freighter, why would he want Locke dead if he sent him there in the first place? Or maybe Abaddon's people are n't there to kill, just Widmore's.
    I also now officially loathe and despise Keamy. His group makes the Others seem like harmless kittens now. I hope down the line they get their due.
    And winner for the jaw dropping scene, last lines....
    "What does he want us to do?"
    "He said we have to move the island."

Great episode. They just keep getting better and better.
  • What the heck is going on?

Locke has flashbacks to when he was born and when Richard thought he was special. Also, he has a high school flashback and a flashback to a conversation with a man telling him about the walkabout.

Locke, Hurley and Ben trek through the jungle in search of the cabin. Locke has a strange dream, where Horace, a dead Dharma member, tells him how to find the cabin. Locke goes to the Dharma grave and finds a map. He finds the cabin and goes in. He finds Jack and Claire's father, Christian, and Claire. Christian tells him to move the island.

On the freighter, Keamy finds out that Michael is the spy on the boat. He tries to kill him. The captain sends Sayid out to rescue the survivors. Desmond stays behind. Keamy takes matters into his own hands. When Frank refuses to fly the helicopter, Keamy kills the doctor. He also kills the captain. While flying over the island, Frank drops off a map to Jack and the survivors at the beach.

This episode was great! It was so confusing though. I want to know what's up with Christian and Claire. I really have no clue what's really going on. Apparently, the island is foward in time and not just time, but like time! That didn't make sense huh? Well, I give this episode a 9.5!
  • Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Really, Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Honestly, I would have settle for the scenes with Locke, Ben, and Hurley. Hurley asking questions, John Locke trying to answer them and Ben just being his arrogant jerk of a self. The scene where they were standing by the Mass-Grave of Dharma people was freaky and cool at the same time. Locke's dream was really freaky, even it couldn't prepare us to see the mass grave and Ben's explaination. Also, I loved when Hurley gave Ben the piece of his candy bar!! too funny.

Plus we learn that Martin Keamy is a sick and twisted man and who killed the Doctor.
  • With superb character development for Locke and Ben and guest appearances from Lance Reddick, Nestor Carbonell and Doug Hutchinson, Cabin Fever is a fine example of why Locke's episodes always deliver to the fans. Major spoilers.

The episode starts off with a flashback to a time before Locke was born. We discover that Locke's mother Emily had gotten pregnant with an older man that her mother didn't approve of. As she tried to run away however she was knocked over by a car and went into early labour. After John Locke is born, Emily realises that she is too young to become a mother and runs out. However one of the creepiest moments in the scene has to be when Emily's mother notices a strange man watching John from afar...and we realise that it is Richard Alpert, looking exactly the same as he always has. Who is this guy and why does he not age?
    We then go to a flash of when John was five. He is in one of his many foster homes and soon his mother announces that a professor from a special school has come to offer John a place...and once again Richard walks into the room. Richard tells John that he has to pass a test and then lays out a number of items which include: a comic book, a bible, a vial of sand, a compass and a hunting knife. After observing these items, Locke chooses the knife but Richard is clearly angered and tells Locke's mother that he is not ready for the school. It is clear to fans that this scene is going to be one that we will have to closely analyse when confronted with Richard Alpert again. Why did he freak out when Locke picked the knife and what was that look of satisfaction on his face when Locke was handling the compass and the sand?
    Locke's next flashback takes place when he is 16 and at school. His science teacher pulls him out of a locker that he has been stuffed into, after trying to fight with some older studants. His teacher comforts him and says that a special school by the name of Mittelos Bioscience (sound familiar) wants to recruit him for a summer school but Locke is immediately questionable and refuses to reply to them. When his teacher begins to tell him that he cannot live the life of a sportser and that he is destined to be a scientist, Locke screams his catchphrase and leaves the room. The final flashback of the episode (and you thought the previous four had been ambigious) takes place after Locke has broken both his legs. As he is being taken back to his hospital room by an orderly we realise that the orderly is none other than Matthew Abbadon, the creepy guy who visited Hurley in the future and was behind recruiting the science team. Abbadon talks to Locke about hope and destiny and then tells Locke that he needs to go on a walkabout to find himself. Locke is at first skeptical, after all he is in a wheelchair, but it is clear that he takes up the idea or he wouldn't have been on 815. But why did Abbadon pose as an orderly to talk to Locke? Why did he mention that they may see each other again? And did Abbadon know that Locke would end up on the island if he took Flight 815?
    And now we come to the action on the island, which almost takes a backseat to the strange things that we are seeing in Locke's flashbacks. Locke, Ben and Hurley are still having no luck in finding Jacob's cabin but after having a vivid dream in which Horace Goodspeed tells him to go to the Dharma grave, Locke realises he is one step closer to his destiny. At the Dharma grave, Locke finds Horace's body and discovers a piece of paper in his pocket which turns out to be a map to Jacob's cabin. Apparently Horace was building the cabin before he died. With new directions the three set off and reach the cabin by nightfall. One character development through the episode seems to be how Locke is taking over Ben's role. After Locke has his dream, Ben recalls a time when he used to have dreams as well and realises that his time as Jacob's spokesperson is finally over. However instead of shooting John in the back as he has previously done he admirably accepts his fate and sends Locke into Jacob's cabin alone. Outside Ben and Hurley share one of the all time funniest moments in Lost when they share an apollo bar together. Inside the cabin Locke is confronted by Christian Shepard who reveals that he is not Jacob, but can speak on his behalf. Locke then realises that Claire is in the cabin and acting very strangely but she refuses to say how she came to be there. Finally Locke asks how he can save the island and Christian gives him an extremely strange answer...Jacob wants him to move the island. How can Locke move the island and if he moves it, then where will it end up? A side bar storyline that is going on in this episode is the story on the freighter. Frank, Keamy and the rest of the mercenaries return and reveal what happened to them at the Barracks. Keamy seems angry that Widmore refused to tell him about the Black Smoke and decides to go to the secondary protocol, which is that the mercenaries must go to the Orchid station to find Ben, because that is where he will go in times of trouble. Apparently orders were to get Ben from the orchid and then torch the island, killing everyone on it. Captain Gault tries to stop him but Keamy shoots him dead in cold blood. Frank at first refuses to take them to the island but after Keamy slits Doc Ray's throat, Frank agrees to protect everyone else's life. However he double crosses Keamy by putting a tracking signal on the helicoptor and then dropping the radio over the beechcamp. After Jack retrieves the radio he realises that the helicoptor wants them to follow it. Elsewhere on the freighter Michael is tied up for his crime of sabotaging the engine room, whilst Gault gives Sayid the Zodiac raft so he can go back to the island and start bringing survivors back to the freighter. Desmond refuses to go, saying he vowed never to return to the island if he left so Sayid goes alone, not knowing that Gault was murdered by Keamy or that they are on their way back to the island to torch it.
    Overall Cabin Fever was one of the biggest highlights of season 4, in that it dealt with action scenes, mythology and character development. Locke taking over Ben's role was almost emotional, especially how Michael Emerson played it and Kevin Durand's performance as Keamy was almost good as Andrew Divoff's performance as Mikhail. Cabin Fever certainly set up for the season four finale and leaves the audience thinking how the Oceanic 6 are going to get together and finally get off the island.
  • Good intro, good outro and Darma is back in the picture ! I start rambeling from here ...

spoilers !

I have to say this was a very good episode !
    First of all i have to thank vicqueto for seeing the link between emily beeing ben's and Locks' mother. That is exiting news witch explains why Ben sad that hey where diferent in that kind of tone...I asume diferent fathers but with emily dating a guy 2 times here age that will probably be the same guy. ( and a new secret )

This was a episode with a lot Lock and new or long-time-not-seen faces. Personaly i thought that went a little to fast because i have problems remembering all that. But this is no complain to the show ! I realy like stuff like that, for example the guy in Lock's dream!

I was almost afraid in the flashback with the black man pushing Lock's weelchair that he woud be jacob or something. That woud have been cheap and they didn't do that ( thanks! ) So he will be in the finale to make things extra hard for Lock ( i woud think because he ows him one apearently ) In other flashbacks emily is running out on baby-john and when the guy comes again when he is like 5 orso there is no sight of emily.Still, he has an older sister and younger brother ( baby-ben or is that stratching it? And from who is that baby-boy? From emily or her mother? )

2 things i likes about the ending.
    1st is that we see claire back and she has been ... let's say enlichted (typo,i know) and seems so happy maybee knowing that her boy will be in jacks good parenting hands??

2nd thing is ofcourse the last line. "he want us to move the island" I won't go wilt on this one but all i'm thinking is .. whell how the hell is sweet Sayid and his little boat going the get to the island if they move the damned thing :)
    Maybee some hardcore-adiceted-fan has a headcount of the people in the future-flashed and count if they can fit in that little boat of his?

Is it just me or is it just my feeling that the writers are now realy back in the series? It sure feels this way and Lost is fully back in the game !
  • emily locke's mom! ben's mom was emily too. brothers then?

could locke and ben be brothers? on this episode we learned that emily is locke's mother. on episode 'the man behind the curtain' (season 3) emily was ben's mom... coincidence?

right before locke found horace's body, ben had a 'no, he found it' expression on his face. to me, it made me think still plays for all teams. looks like he 'wanted' to find the cabin. once inside the cabin, i was freaked by claire's evil smile. it was like she knew everything now. the big question now is: why is christian shepard on the island?

in the hospital scene, i was impressed by alpert showing up there. later on, when he came to locke's house, i think he was not disappointed at all after locked selected the knife. i believe he was impressed, freaked out but he made it seem like he did, acting as if locke failed.

do the objects locke selected have a meaning? or is it just a resemblance to objects used on the island... knife, compass and -sand-...
  • Let's start moving...

Wow.. I have always enjoyed Locke episodes as he is very unique char - very out of usual standards. His storyline with faith and premonitions - it is just great. And this episode is not below the expectations - if not the best Locke episode, then on the top defenetly.

First the whole cabin thing - it has been haunting around for quite long and it looked like there is room some answers. But I think more than answers we did get more question. First, Claire.. What is she doing? What is her part? And the way she spoke about the baby? It looked like she has made 360* turn to evil, maybe.. why not. Something new for her.

But we did get one answer - Jacob is not Jack's father but still mystery remains. What he does on the island? Did he woke from death when he ended on the island? Anyway, I adore the mystery.

Also, the flashbacks to show more of the Locke's past - there is still so much to know - I liked the task when he had to choose something and he picked the knife. What it all meant? I have no idea... and the man who was on ER and later talked with Locke.. I had seen him before.. anyone have the idea who he was?

And the things on ship.. and the helicopter.. it was just a great episode.
  • I should have reviewed this earlier- fantastic

this episode has not a flash-forward which has been regarded as typically season 4, but a flash back for our favourite rambo wanna-be John Locke. Her we witness his birth to Emily (his mom) we find out that his dad is twice her age???(can it really be Cooper then???) and that when he is roughly 7 or 8, Richard comes to visit him with a number of items asking him "which one belongs to you?" other revealing notes are that Aboddon is the man that tells him to go on the "walkabout" and that Keamey is on his way back tot he island with frank to wreck havok.
  • How Do I Save The Island?

Really good epsiode overall I thought, with the first couple of flashbacks leaving a little more to be desired. I liked the episode much better upon rewatch when the first couple of flashes didnt take me to 10:20. I enjoyed the dream sequence a lot with Locke and Horrace and I have missed the dreams like those that Locke has had over the years. This one was certainly interesting, with the dream seeming to repeat on a loop (I think it was 3-4 times that it did this). Im not sure what it all means yet, but if we see Horrace again maybe we can get some more background information. Ben was great in this episode as well and it seems to me that the guy just works well with everyone on the show. The scene at the very end of the episode with Hurley and Ben was amazing and I would have LOVED if it had cut to LOST right after Locke asked the question that he had come there to ask.

Speaking of which, certainly a very odd and strange journey Locke and Ben are about to undertake in. They need to move the island, whatever that means. Move it to a different time, maybe? A lot of time has passed between where we are now on the island and where we are now in the flash-forwards (Sun just gave birth meaning 7 months ahead?) I dont know if the writers plan to fill in those gaps or if this moving the island adventure will jump them forward in time. Also to mention is that Keamy seems to all ready be on-island, so moving the island is only half of their problems.

Lockes flashback was certainly interesting, in two scenes anyway. The first two scenes were only highlighted by the return of Richard Alpert, who has been following John much longer then we thought. The scene with the items that John must choose was very interesting and should provide much to debate about around the forums. The best idea I have read to this point has been the thought of reincarnation - "No, John. Which of these items ALL READY belong to you?" Is Locke the next Jacob, is that what Richard was looking for.

The scene with Matthew was also a great one. The last line of that scene sets up a Abbadon + Locke reunion sometime in the future. Im not sure how I feel right now about Matthew telling Locke to go on his Walkabout, but it will do for now until we get a little more information. Overall, the flashbacks get a grade of a B, only because the other three were so plain and "whatever" quality.

Cabin scene was amazing. I knew Claire was going to the Cabin with Christain and something has happened to her. I have no idea what is going on with Claire but Im happy to see her vault into the main storyline for a chance. Aaron is now with Sawyer, who will soon transfer to a member of the Oceanic Six. Hurley also needs to get in gear, but a sense another Locke / Rest of the group showdown coming soon so we will see what happens with that. Jack wants to go after the plane, but Sayid should show up just at the right time to warn them of the upcoming danger and the war will begin in the next epsiode. Overall, very solid episode which due to the flashbacks finishes right there in the middle of the season.

Season Four Rankings

The Shape of Things to Come (10+)
    The Constant (10+)
    The Beginning of the End (10.0)
    The Economist (9.5)
    Meet Kevin Johnson (9.4)
    Cabin Fever (9.4)
    Something Nice Back Home (9.4)
    Confirmed Dead (9.3)
    Eggtown (9.2)
    The Other Woman (9.0)
    Ji Yeon (8.6) Season Four Average --> 9.44 (.01 behind 24 Season Five for the best season of all time, for me)
  • A Locke episode

We open this episode with Emily, in the sixties being knocked down by a car and taken to hospital, where she tells them she is pregnant and gives birth to a boy. She asks them to name him John. Through out the episode we see John growing up as a child, and through different stages of his life. The helicopter arrives back at the ship. Sayid plans to go back to the Island with Desmond but at the last minute Desmond pulls out. Locke, Ben & Hugo go to find the cabin, where Jacob is. When the pilot (Frank) doesn't agree to fly the helicopter back to the island, one of them kills the doctor. He then also kills the caption of the ship. Frank then hires up the helicopter and they take off. Back on the island they see the helicopter and something drops out. It's a tracking system. When they arrive at the cabin, Ben and Hugo both decide not to go in, so Locke goes in alone. They wish him Good Luck. He goes in and there is someone else there (the man that visited him all though years ago as a child), who says he can speak on Jacobs behalf. Claire is also there. He tells John to ask the one question that really matters and John asks "How do I save the island?"

When he comes out he tells Ben and Hugo that Jacob wants them to move the island. They both look at him as if he has lost his mind. How can things happen on the island (like dead bodies) before they have actually happened?
< 1 2