Lost

Cabin Fever

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 08, 2008 on ABC

• One of the best Lost episodes I have seen so far!!!

Cabin Fever had all of the Lost features I have come to love. It actually had a Locke flashback, mystery, surprises, and some answers. We get to find out what happened to Claire, who has been hanging out in the cabin, and what happened to the doctor. It also hints that the island may be moving and how Locke is soon to be crowned the leader of the Others. It was really interesting to see how the island has been watching Locke his whole life and to be reminded that Richard never ages. Best of all it left me wanting more, I can't wait for next week!! Watch this episode if you haven't already, I know I will be watching again before next week.
  • This is what I've been waiting for! Gimme more Locke!

The more insight I am given into the character of John Locke, the more intriguing he becomes. Here we get to see that even as a small child, he seemed to possess a unique insight into metaphysical and spiritual matters. In addition, the "island conspirators" have been paying attention to John throughout his life and his personal difficulties. Did the "island forces" put him through a number of hardships for the purpose of developing his spiritual awareness? It seems likely, but I've learned to take nothing for granted with this show and that my assumptions can lead to completely incorrect conclusions. I'm just thinking out loud here.
  • Another amazing episode in a rollar coaster of a season.

Great to see Locke getting another episode.
    It was interesting to see the conditions of John's premature birth after a car accident, and his constant struggle with illnesses for awhile. It emphasized his survivor and fighter sides that we see later in his life. But I was hoping to see a young Cooper at some point.
    The return of the ageless Richard was a nice surprise, to see how he tries to shape and guide 'special' people, like Locke and Ben, early in life. It raises some interesting questions.
    My biggest question goes towards Abaddon. Why is he telling Locke to go on that walkabout? Did he know Locke would end up on 815 if he did? And if the freighter army is there to kill everyone, and if Abaddon's group was part of the freighter, why would he want Locke dead if he sent him there in the first place? Or maybe Abaddon's people are n't there to kill, just Widmore's.
    I also now officially loathe and despise Keamy. His group makes the Others seem like harmless kittens now. I hope down the line they get their due.
    And winner for the jaw dropping scene, last lines....
    "What does he want us to do?"
    "He said we have to move the island."

Great episode. They just keep getting better and better.
  • Locke learns his purpose. Kimi takes over as the antagonist. richard and the creepy dude have been following Locke his whole life.

wow. just wow. There were multiple holy sh** moments. This was one of the best episodes this season. They're slowly bringing Locke back to where he was in season 1. I'm psyched for where this is all going. Can't wait for next week.

Also, this episode opens the door to new theories. Why have Richard and Agamamonmamsm chasing Locke since he was young? How important is Locke? Is Locke being manipulated by the island? Who is Jacob? Is Jacob Lock? Is there a reason that JAcob wasn't in the cabin? etc etc etc... Awesome episode. Can't wait till we see what happens when they get off the island.
  • Destined to protect the island.

Horace is Jacob.
    He came to Locke in a dream.
    He was cutting down trees to build his cabin.

As Locke sifts through the bodies in the mass grave, Hurley says to Ben "I thought you were their leader [of the Dharma Initiative]". Ben replies "Not always"... Scene instantly cuts to Horace's remains.

Horace was the leader of the Dharma Intitiative.
    He ordered the purge to protect the island. Dharma's experimentation had become a threat to the nature of the island.

Oh, and let's not forget... His skeleton's shirt pocket had a map to the location of his cabin... that he was building in Locke's dream. C'mon! Could it be more obvious. He's Jacob.

After Horace found Ben's parents - who had just given birth to Ben - he assumed he had found this chosen one who was destined to protect the island. He brought Ben and his father to the island under this false assumption.

Locke is the real chosen one. He can not die. He survives falling 8 stories. He is healed on the island as Ben becomes sick. He is destined to protect the island. Jacob says "Help Me"... Move the island.

You heard it here first. Horace is jacob. Rock on.
  • One of the greatest episodes in season 4, but we really got cheated out of the ending.

Summary: Ben, Locke, and Hurley head off to Jacob's cabin to meet Jacob. Captain Kiwi goes insane and starts to murder his own people. Flashbacks reveal Locke being chosen by the island.
    Pros: The interaction between Locke and Ben in this episode is priceless. But what makes this episode for me is Keamy. If you would have told me a year ago that a freighter was going to steal the spotlight from Jacob...But he really did, and I have to say congrats to the actor (I forgot your name...) The Locke flashbacks were pretty cool as well and helped to set the mood of the episode. Cons: Short and simple, the ending. Not only were we cheated out of seeing Jacob, but also treated to one of the most bizarre cliffhangers ever. And the Locke flashbacks, cool as they were, really had no bearing on the show. Overall: A fantastic episode that ended up keeping the fast pace of "The Shape of Things to Come", and one of the best episodes to date.
  • An amazing package of everything that makes Lost the best show on TV right now.

So... how'd you like this fine episode?

Last week we took a break from all the WTF and bizarre storylines, and focused on character development. Uhm.. well.. it was truly only a one time thing.

"Cabin Fever" was true to the season's scheme, and we got more plot than character development. However, as I said, that's not an issue. Especially not when a well developed character is in the center.

Let's break this one down in 5 parts.

1. The trek(Ben, Locke, Hugo) - Awesome. The opening was very "Deus Ex Machina" / "?" - like with the creepy and truly bizarre dream sequence. I don't know what to make out of it yet. Horace built Jacob's cabin? But how did it start moving? Or why? Is Horace Jacob? Obviously not. But then who is Jacob, and why is he in Horace's cabin? Why was the dream sequence very similiar to a time loop?(Tree being chopped, then it's back up, Horace repeating same things over and over again). Why did his nose bleed? Time travel? That small scene alone raised more questions than the previous episode. You decide wether that's a good thing or not. I think it's great - it's what Lost is mostly about anyway.

Moving on: the dialouge was fantastic. I really enjoyed the Ben-lines - and his honesty. Hugo was his usual self, providing some good comic relief. And Locke - he seems to be the Chosen One. Ben's comment about him manipulating Hugo - very well put. Locke, the next Ben? The only thing that was a bit weird is Hugo's involvement. He wasn't neccessery afterall,which was a tiny bit disappointing. All considered, the trek was a superb storyline, which I enjoyed more than the trek in "The Man Behind the Curtain".

Score: 9.5

2. The cabin(Ben, Locke, Hugo, Claire, Christian) - Unbelivable! All the build up paid off perfectly well. Very satisfying. I was afraid we wouldn't get enough cabin time - but we did. The episode was extremely well constructed, and the little comic relief in the end was a SUPERB idea. I'll get to that in a bit.

The cabin scene itself -- man, awesome directing by Paul Edwards. Christian manages to be creepy in every scene he's in. And, the lighting has a big part in that. Finally. Finally we had a healthy island-Christian - someone else conversation. It took 4 seasons, but it was worth it. He confirmed that he isn't Jacob - so who is? Let's go back to 4x1 - "The Beginning of the End". We clearly saw Christian in the chair, but then someone else popped up at the window. I think he was Jacob. But who that guy is, good question. I always had an impression it was Desmond, and I still do, but I can't really back that theory up(apart from that Desmond's heavily involved with the time travelling aspect of the show and the eye in 4x1 was similiar to his).

Anyway - the best part of the cabin scene was still, the part where Locke meets Claire. What happened to her? Is she even alive?(Maybe she died in the explosion?)Or is she drugged? But you know, let's say she's perfectly healthy and is not drugged. If that's the case then WOW. What did Christian tell her to change her? She was as freaky as Christian - smiling, hanging out in the cabin, not caring a bout Aaron - The writers did the right thing giving her this major storyline.

And then, the comic relief I was talking about: Hugo sharing a chocolate bar with Ben.My jaw was on the floor, then quickly switch to them - I started laughing. Very well done! Am I missing something? Oh yes. The final line. "He [Jacob] wants us to move the island". WHAT? That is the best punchline of the season, beating out "I have a man on their boat". I immediately thought that moving the island means moving it in time, not physically. Interesting stuff.

Score: 10

3. The Freighter(Freighties, Sayid, Desmond, Michael) - The best freighter storyline yet! Keamy is an awesome villain. I'm so glad they didn't kill him(yet). The captain - awesome too. Well, was. In 4x5 we were given an impression that he was this really cruel and unforgiving figure, but it turns out, he's not. I'm sad he was offed, but that was the only way to go, honestly. Now, to me, the best freighter moment was the scene where Keamy tries to shoot Michael. Awesome use of the Michael can't die plot element. Another goldie - Keamy killing Doc Ray. I didn't see it coming, even though we knew it was going to happen...

Did anyone notice that the backup plan had a Dharma logo on it? I wonder what that means. Anyway. Sayid goes back to the island without Desmond - I was a bit disappointed. In Desmond. I understand his motives, but he's being really selfish.

Score: 10

4. The Beach - 3 long minutes only, but I thought it's worth a mention. Frank drops off a satphone to help the survivors locate the choppers. Now we know what the finale is going to be about. Another trek to another end of the island! Not surprised. Season1,2,3 all had this. But no, it's not a bad thing. It's great. Especially because it made Frank even more awesome(and he was superawesome to start with!). If it's not Ben who gets to kill Keamy, I want him to do it.

Score: None(bonus points rewarded, however)

5. The Flashback - We've seen many Locke flashbacks. But this one... was really different. Mainly because it was so different. It was like learning about a new character. It's hard to make out any sense of the flashback, for now anyway. But it was interesting and exciting nonetheless. Key moments: Richard visiting the hospital, Richard "testing" Locke, Teenage Locke an expert in science, Abbadon escorting wheelchairLocke. Interesting fact: Locke's mother is called Emily. Ben's mother is Emily too. Just a funny coincidence? All in all, superb flashback, but somewhat messy. Obviously, that was the point. Once we understand what are the motives of Richard and/or Abbadon, this whole flashback will make much more sense. But this way - it was just a 15 minute dose of WTF, which is great, but it can be frustrating for some.

Score: 9.0

General thoughts:

This was a very well put together episode, with no real issues. The flashback could've been a bit more fluent, but it's connection with the island story made up for that. And the island plot - almost flawless.

The writing was perfect. Maybe Ben's fickle b*tch line was a bit corny, but it was funny anyway. Interestingly, one of the writers of this episode(Kyle Pennington) haven't done anything before this episode of Lost, only a mini movie. I wonder how he got in. The other writer, Elizabeth Sarnoff is known for her random performances - her work is either a hit or miss. Hit this time.

Also, the music: this episode had the best score of the season so far, I thought. The beginning of the episode, Locke approaching the cabin, Sayid leaving on the boat(reused theme from S3 finale) - they really made the episode more memorable.

Final verdict:

After all this "oh my god. This.. and that... and this and that was AWESOME!!!1111" I don't think this will be a surprise:

10.
  • So the countdown continues, six were rescued...but why those six....??? Ah, nevermind that's not what this episode it's about...

Locke has been one of my favorite characters from episode 1, so this episode was easily on my cool book, I was upset we didn't saw Jacob, but confirmed what I always thought, Locke was destined to be the next leader of the Others and ultimately, the main one in the island, the flashbacks of his life could be pointless for some, but they were obviously there for a reason, He was expected form day one to be part of the Dharma Iniciative (or it's previous conception), but as a man of science, as we see in several moments It was what a lot of people expected from him, but his spirit is a different story, he's an adventurer, a hunter a survival, even when he has the brain he has, his interests lays in other side totally, (think of him as a "Good Will Hunting" type)so in the end, it was clear he was going to end on the island, the question was on WHICH side was going to be in.... On the scientist side (the brain) or the other's side (the spirit), Ben's clearly knows his time on the island is up, so he'll find a way out of there, although maybe not with the Six survivors we know about.

The situation on the Carrier makes clear that the thing happening on the island are some hours or days ahead of our normal space/time, I.E.- The Doctor's corpse, what else do we have to learn??

Jack was standing and walking, did he heal faster now too, was his sickness a warning from the island to leave???

This series got me hooked since I saw the first episode, and honestly it's getting harder to wait six days to see the next episode, I wish I could say the same thing about Smallville....
  • Locke's origins revealed: he is a miracle baby! Of course, he is also gifted, so Richard Alpert must give him a very bizarre test to determine if young Locke is "special". The Losties have trouble coming, Sayid to the rescue. Will Locke be "chosen"?

A very important episode of Lost, and definitely one of the best in the season. Locke's childhood is revealed, and with this come several revelations. He miraculously survives being 3 months premature and a barrage of infections, gets visited by the ageless Richard Alpert only to be denied, refuses science, and is guided on his journey by Matthew Abbadon (who works for Widmore). This flashback is among the most revealing in regards to the nature of destiny and the time anomalies on the island. Young Locke seems to already know items he will possess in the future, and this worries Richard. Locke could be the one who restores destiny and ends the time paradox created by the island. Could Richard be trying to impede this, or does he believe the route Locke is taking to be unsuccessful? Either way, the flashback gives us a revealing look into the nature of destiny, and the possibilities of time loops and course corrections that were alluded to in the Desmond episodes. Abaddon's presence adds another interesting question to the story, as we are still left guessing motives and wondering who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The action on the freighter added some nice action and suspense that will lead us into the action-packed finales, but the flashback and the action with Locke on the island were the true steak and potatoes of this episode. Speaking of which, Christian Shepard is back! WOW! While we knew Christian had been in the cabin before, this was still a pretty awesome moment. And then, as mentioned last week, there is Claire right along with him. And she seems different now, as if she has been enlightened to the meaning of the Island and now plays a more important role. I personally love Claire, and am glad to see that she will now play a major role in the overall plot. Once again, Michael Emerson is masterful as Ben, who finally seems to have lost control. While in the past Ben has always seemed to have a plan to continue on his quest, the death of Alex has really affected him. His character continues to develop even with limited screen time. So now Locke knows what to do, and he lets us know before the episode ends. This episode really had it all: excellent flashbacks (to different periods of time), character development, revelations, action, dream sequence w/dead character. The writers really jammed a lot into this episode because of the shortened season, and it still managed to be well-paced. My one qualm with this episode was that Jacob was not revealed to us, as I thought he would be due to last week's preview. Chock it up to ABC promotions, but I expected to see Jacob! Anyways, I loved the episode and can't wait to see how things unfold. One things for sure: Locke had better move that island!
  • While nowhere near the worst episode of Lost ever, Cabin Fever is without question the most disappointing. For anyone looking for more than cheap thrills, to watch this is to witness a train-wreck in slow motion.

4.5
    It seems only fitting that in a season that has relegated the character of John Locke - according to many, the greatest character on Lost; according to Emmy voters, one of the greatest actors on television - to nothing more than an inconsistent plot device, the episode awarded him - the episode leading up to the three-part finale - is the most disappointing yet.

Here there be spoilers!

As befits the writers in charge of this season, the man feels nothing. Success is signified by an enigmatic one-liner worthy of CSI, failure is met with an expression of doubt that is reverted to default in the next immediate scene (because to grow as a character, one must BE a character; and it's clear that John is at this point no more than a walking, talking plot device), and the flashbacks - which have always been heartfelt and relevant - are trivial fill in the blanks that are supposed to set up some kind of reveals in episodes to come. Apparently John had already met Richard before the island -- though he didn't recognize the man (who has not aged a day) back in season 3. Also apparently, John has already met the mysterious Matthew Abaddon. So now when they meet again, we're going to be treated to a huge "Oh my God, it's you!" moment that - we're supposed to believe - has been in the works forever. Handled the same way as Jack's meeting with Desmond in the season 2 premiere "Man of Science, Man of Faith," except Jack meeting Desmond wasn't a huge moment at all - the only shock there being coincidence. This situation is entirely different - with this flimsy reveal, it is seemingly Mr. Abaddon who is responsible for John going on his Walkabout, and once the two meet they will have a lot to talk about. The only problem is how absolutely fake it feels. "Let's connect some two absolutely random characters in a flashback in a really significant way right before they meet on the show, so that the viewers get to imagine that this meeting has been in the making for a long time." In fact, it's been in the making for a couple of weeks, and it most certainly feels that way.

Apart from this pseudo set-up, the flashbacks are entirely useless. They do not provide Terry O'Quinn with any material to work with whatsoever - he appears in a record-setting one scene, something never before done on a Lost flashback. It shows. Were we supposed to feel bad for little Johnnie because he got stuffed in a locker? Too bad for little Johnnie we've known about this since halfway into the first season (episode Hearts and Minds; "I wasn't the most popular kid [at school]."). The scene with the teacher seems like it's building up to something, but before there can be any true resolution we flash-forward to John's recovery and any momentum gained is lost. The same happens earlier - after young John's confrontation with Richard Alpert, it seems that something may happen, yet we jump to his high school years ignoring any emotional ramifications of any of this entirely. Just when it seems like one of the stories might be getting somewhere, we're whisked away to another scene, because obviously getting through the plot is clearly a higher priority for the writers - as far as John is concerned, at least - than building up any sort of emotional attachment whatsoever.

So the entire episode is essentially playing catch-up to stories already told. We get to SEE what John went through as a kid in detail (because just having heard it was not enough; the writers did NOT learn their lesson from A Stranger in a Strange Land as they'd claimed), we get to see the doctor die (in what is, arguably, the best scene in the episode) and Sayid takes the boat that will provide the Oceanic 6 passage back to the mainland. The meeting with Jacob - built up for the ENTIRE season - ends with the reveal that Christian isn't Jacob, he's just Christian, and so the everything is, once again, in the air and up for grabs. What should have been exciting instead comes off as an insulting red herring that we've been following for over a season - instead of making it out to be the huge deal that it was, they instead glossed over it as casually as with any other mystery: "Jacob? Oh, no, I'm not Jacob! I'm just a guy who sits here!" And instead of making John seem mysterious as he was in season 1 - naturally, by extension of his character - here the writers force the mystery by simply not showing us a conversation. What worked for the Michael hold-off in Ji Yeon fails miserably here because instead of holding off a plot device to show it off in the next episode in full swing, they are artificially adding mystery to the John Locke character when there shouldn't be any. We know exactly what he wants to do (protect the island), we know that he's willing to do next to anything to do it (put a gun to Sawyer's head), but since it's John Locke and John Locke must be mysterious no matter what, the writers simply don't show us the conversation that reveals how he's going to do what it is he's going to do ("Move the island"? Even the music at the end didn't rise up to its usual pitch; it's as if the music sensed how underwhelming a reveal this turned out to be) so that when he does it it'll be a shocker! And, really, the big thing is to "move the island"? There's a massive confrontation between characters about to take place, and the answer is to do some magic and hocus-pocus, everything will be all right again? Color me not impressed.

There are many moments in this episode that weren't bad moments - Hurley had some nice dialogue with John and Ben by virtue of confronting them and stating the obvious, Captain Gault turned into quite an interesting character (before being unceremoniously taken care of - but really, he had it coming the whole episode through), and Sayid and Desmond were engaging. On the whole, however, it feels like a poor man's Lost -- a hackneyed attempt to capture the magic and depth of typical Lost episodes without ever nearing the mark. The Deus ex Machina dream sequence was not only informative and fitting with the theme of the episode, it was engaging and terrifying. Cabin Fever's, on the other hand, is entirely forgettable save the trivial detail that the sequence played over and over and over, which in a greater episode may have amounted to something, but in this one comes off as nothing short of a gimmick thrown in to add something - ANYTHING - to the scene to make it clear that it is supposed to be a freaky dream. The contradiction to a popular saying goes, "The whole is less than the sum of its parts." The parts being as average as they are, is it any surprise that the whole is such a crude disappointment? In a season that has consistently given John Locke - one of its most popular characters - no dialogue save the eye-rolling one-liners, a season that has consistently given Terry O'Quinn - one of its most highly acclaimed actors - absolutely no material to work with, the episode that should have changed all that instead amplified it to unimaginable degrees by playing up mysteries that the audience didn't even know were there in the first place at the cost of characterization, and provided the actor the least screentime ever in regard to flashback/flashforward, appearing in a record-setting one scene. By pandering to the cheap thrills crowd by creating suspense where there should have been none... by killing off a number of characters at the same time... by throwing in artificially staged meetings that had, apparently, 'been there' all along... the episode may receive high ratings; the same high ratings that The Shape of Things to Come (an episode infinitely greater than Cabin Fever) received thanks, in some part, to the appearance of the Smoke Monster . But the ADD-prone, plot-driven, character-destructive writing cannot be overlooked.

John Locke deserved better.
    Lost deserved better.

-pW

If you want to tear me a new one, feel free to do so at the copy+pasted (and added to) review in my Blog:

• One of the Greatest, yet disappointing episodes of lost to date. I had to watch Cabin Fever twice. Not because I loved it, but because i felt it should have been better than it was. After session one i was sorely disappointed. Locke deserved better

I'd been looking forward to Cabin Fever for weeks, perhaps more than the finale, as it was the episode where i believed we were going to get lots of locke, and lots of jacob.
    How wrong we were. For starters the Jacob scene we have been promised all year was boring, and in temrs of acting from christian and claire, laughable. Claire looked wasted, Christian looked out of place. Where was the great man himself Surely no lost fan wanted such a tepid cop-out from one of losts great mysteries.
    Lockes flashbacks, considered pivotal to the overall mythology felt disjointed and out of place too. Toomant clutches to insert character connections into Lockes history. Abbadons appearance, definetly a step too far.

So why have i given this episode, a huge disappointment a 9.1. The reason is that the freighter scenes were brilliant, full of tension, suspense, and brilliant acting from Kevin Durand (keamy) and Jeff Fahey (frank). The two characters have been the best of all things freighter related this season, with the exception of faraday.

And on my second viewing i found myself much more involved in the episode, probably having come to terms of the disappointment, and it truth it is by no means the worst episode of lost.

Yet i cant help but feel so much more could have been acheived. It was too much of a cop out, and the cliffhanger was laughably bad....I think i should stop before i lower the mark any further down...i started at 9.3
  • Many questions are answered...and raised in this Locke-Centric episode.

Wow, this episode really came back after last week-not so much that it was fast paced or terribly exciting, it was incredibly revealing, deep, and set up some major events for the future. This episode succeeded in answering enough questions to keep you satisfied, but left so much open it leaves you wanting more. A fine episode that is definately on par with the rest of the season.

So much happened, I cannot give a full recap, but here are the high points.

Keamy and the mercenaries return to the chopper-we also get to see the full effects of what Smokey can do. Keamy is also throwing his weight around by giving Cpt. Gault orders-he also tries to kill Michael for his betrayal, but his gun jams, I wonder... We also see Keamy being rigged up with what looks to be a heart monitor, he also warns Gault later not to shoot him and he points out the device-my guess is if his heart stops, something goes kaboom. Keamy also orders Lapidus to take him back to the island to finish the job as according to a secondary protocol-Lapidus does not want to, but relents after Keamy murders the doctor (slices the throat, hence last week) and kills Captain Gault. Lapidus attempts to warn the survivors by activating his Satellite phone and throwing it to the survivors.

Happy Birthday Locke! Well, we get to see his birth anyways...seems that he was born premature and managed to fight off plenty of illnesses. He also gained the attention of one Richard Alpert, who visited Locke as an infant, a child, and sent him info on Mittelos while he was in school. Locke is visited by Horace, the dead Dharma mathematician who is building a cabin in the woods, though Horace has been dead for 12 years. He tells Locke that to find the cabin, he has to find him-so Locke and company go to the mass grave and Locke finds a map inside Horace's pocket. They find the cabin again with only Locke going in. There he meets Christian Shepard who claims he can speak on Jacob's behalf-interestingly enough, Claire is there too-in an attempt to preserve her life from the mercenaries. Christian asks Locke why he is there, Locke says because he was chosen, and Christian confirms this. Christian also asks Locke what the most important question is-Locke asks "how do we save the island?" Locke returns to Ben and Hugo who are sharing an Apollo bar, when Ben asks him what they do Locke cryptically answers "He wants us to move the island".

Great episode, many things were answered. There is a definate discrepancy in time as illustrated by the mercenary receiving Daniel's morse code message and the doctor's murder. Christian Shepard is in league with Jacob, very interesting. Moving the island? It's not like they can get a U-Haul out there, which means there is some sort of metaphysical occurance that permits this to happen. This episode is highly indicative of Season 4 and it's high level of quality. It was great to watch and one of the reasons why Lost is such a wonderful show.
  • Holy S***!!

Lost can`t stop getting freaking mind blowing can it? :O
    A locke flashback on his childhood, adolescence and part of his adulthood. Very interesting things were of course Richards (the guy just don`t get old) and that black guy who I`m sure Locke will indeed meet again. Pretty interesting to see Locke draw the black smoke monster when he was a kid, looks like he is indeed the chosen one.

The most thrilling thing of the episode was most definitely the cabin. Certainly something the audience was dying for since Jacob`s first appearance last season. We did not get to see Jacob himself but Christian who spoke on his behalf. I think Jacob is actually some kind of spirit that just takes form of dead people. Actually, I saw the Christian Shepard thing coming as I always firmly believe that there was a relationship between Jacob and Christian. But the big OMFG moment in the cabin was the fact that Claire was in there!! Hell, is she dead???????? Looks fine and not upset at all. Mind blowing stuff. And of course the whole thing just end with a hugeee bang, the quote of the year "We have to move The Island"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    F*** YEAH!!
    Of course there were the boat scenes as things gets more and more intense! Keamy (reminds me of Rambo Lol) is getting crazy as Sayid heads back to the island with a boat. Would love some fight between Sayid and Keamy!
    One of the most interesting thing of the episode was the Doc`s death...looks like time just don`t pass the same on the island...but yet another genius strike.
    On the beach, Frank sends a phone to the Losties. Jack thinks that it is to follow him but is it?
    Bring on the next one!!
  • What's next... faeries

I will be giving this show one or two more chances then I'll decide if I want to continue or just bail out of it. It's seeming as the writers are just adding things to the plot, basically ANYTHING can happen now and they don't even really need to explain it. Because this is a magical island that anything can happen and it can do anything. *spoiler-ish* The part where John gets told to "move the island" was the beginning of the end for me. The chances of the writers just putting so much crap into the show that the only way they can end it is by having... let's go with Walt wake up and it was all a big dream, are pretty high.

Too bad... it was a decent show at one point...
  • 'The Island wanted me to get sick, and you to get well. My time is over John '

You know, I haven't written a Lost-review since Season 1.

I promised myself not to write one until the show ends. But I had to. I loved this episode. My favorite since Season 3's 'The Man Behind The Curtain'.

Oh, where to begin?
    Let's do the Flashbacks. I loved the teaser. Locke's mom, Emily. Back in the 60's? She got hit by a car when she was Six Months pregnant. After Locke was born, she didn't want him anymore and gave him away. I loved how creepy-Richard was watching over him.
    Yeah, Richard, one of the highlights. We hadn't seen him since Season 3's finale. And it was SO good to see him again. I love that guy... so much mystery. Just like with Rousseau. I also enjoyed the flashback with Abaddon. Who else thought he was going to throw Cripple-Locke off the stairs? That guy is really creeepy. On the Island in the Freighter, there's a lot of drama going on. it was before Keamy left to go to the Island. They had Michael chained and tortured. I'm surprised with how much i'm liking this new version of Michael. What else happened? To summary things short. Sayid left the Freighter to go to the Island. And Keamy was the one who cut Doc Ray's throat and shot the Captain. Yeah, my least favorite part of the episode. I don't see why the writers introduced SO many Freighters just to kill them off. It seemed very unnecessary. I can understand Nadia. But why George? Regina? Ray? and most of all, Captain Gualt. That guy had so much to give. I mean, his last episode was Meet Kevin Johnson, when Sayid gave Michael up. It ended with that cliff hanger. Three episodes later, Michael is chained up and Gualt gets shot and killed? I feel cheated somehow. Enough rambling. I still looved the episode. And most of it was because of the Island stuff. Locke had a dream including Horace, who told him to find his body. Which had a map. It was about time the writers made him reappear. I loved all the Ben-scenes. He's been such a strong character this season. I felt bad for him, really. My favorite scene was when Locke entered the Cabin and found Christian and... shockingly, CLAIRE. She didn't seem to care about her baby. A lot of people think she's dead, but I doubt it. I think she just knows everything now, the importance of the Island etc. And she thinks that giving up her baby is probably the best thing to do.... or, she is in fact dead. I guess we'll see.

Amazing episode. really. loved it.
  • This "adjustment" season has been weird, from great episodes (The constant), to all action episodes, to episodes you want to erase from your memory (Eggtown), Lost's soul felt somehow "Lost", but with Cabin Fever my faith is back! AMAZING!

*May contain spoilers*

I just want to say I loved this episode; I barely blinked during its 42 minutes. For us who love connections, mystery, mythology, old school Lost and John Locke, this episode was perfect. It's the right set up for the season finale.

A traditional jungle journey, a revealing flashback (Welcome back Richard! Why was John's grandma so freaked out with Richard's presence?) , and intriguing Mathew Abbadon (Is he going to be set up as Jacob? Maybe not…), a scary treat from the freighter folks (Why didn't Des go with Sayid???? What's next for him on that unfriendly freighter!!!) Claire possibly dead! I love that part hehehe… I'm sorry, I've never been Claire's fan, but I like her better in this evilish ghostish way… Hello Christian Sheppard! And John's final order "We have to move the island" WHAT?! Where or even better, HOW???

Really nice episode, and I hope the three hour finale stands by this standards… this is the Lost we (Or at least I) love!
  • Locke, Hurley and Ben find the cabin.

7.6
    This was another decent installment of LOST, but it is still not up to par with what we have come to expect from the best show on television. Past seasons and past episodes have contained gripping moments that have made you ask questions and remain on the edge of the seat for the entire broadcast. Not only is that thrill absent from Season 4, but it almost seems like the writers and producers keep on throwing pointless plot twists into every episode. Instead of creating real drama and emotion, they're just having a character die, or do something odd to try and get you to react.

Season 4 of LOST, this episode in particular, seems very forced. It's turned more into 90210 on a desert island than the show it once was.
  • Another strong entry for the fourth season!

Right from the beginning, it was clear that this episode would be a stunning chunk of mythology, adding to the recent revelations and placing them in a more confusing (yet more intriguing) context. The nature of time and space has once again come under question, at least in terms of the island, and some of the speculation from previous reviews appears to be right on track.

Perhaps the most interesting development in this episode is the apparent confirmation of Locke's destiny. As a character, Locke has never questioned that his arrival on the island had a purpose. It was the kind of assumption that becomes easily absorbed by the audience, something of a shorthand for the character himself. It's not so much that the audience must believe in Locke's destiny, only that he himself believes wholeheartedly that he has one.

This episode turns that assumption on its head. Locke may have been delusional, but he was, in fact, "chosen". In this case, something inherent to John Locke caught Richard Alpert's attention before he was even born. This would imply (along with the unusual space-time properties of the island) that he was known to have potential for leadership of the Others. Yet, despite the fact that Richard and the Others attempt to bring him into the fold throughout his life, Locke continually makes the wrong choices.

Even so, Locke came to be on the island, and the process of getting there might have made the difference. Locke was the first to see the "smoke monster", early in the first season, and he survived without incident. Since that moment, his success on the island has been tied to his faith in his destiny and his purpose as the "shaman priest" among the survivors. That now ties into his apparent status as Chosen One, the new liaison between the physical world of the Others and the apparent spiritual or non-corporeal world of Jacob and his amazing friends.

It now seems clear that Jacob is not the one taking on the forms of those passed, but that the connection to Jacob is very strong. The previous episode seemed to show, through the character of Miles, that the whispers surrounding the Others are connected to the dead. The apparitions have been connected to Jacob, but also to the "smoke monster". There is an underlying rationale to all of it, and it is likely connected to the properties of the island.

An early theory for the activity on the island was that a non-corporeal intelligence was looking for a way to regain corporeal form. That turned out to be incorrect (as most early theories were), but the intersection between corporeal and non-corporeal on the island is clear. What if the souls of the dead on the island are "trapped" there, acting in some gestalt form as the "smoke monster"? Alternatively, the "smoke monster" could be something designed to allow the gestalt intelligences to act on the physical plane. Jacob, then, would be something of an interface, with the Chosen One as the voice of the dead, who combined comprise the "will of the island".

This idea is meaningful because non-corporeality, in conjunction with the space-time warping properties of the electromagnetic anomaly, could explain much of the rest of the seemingly paranormal phenomena encountered. If the anomaly heals, then it also would preserve…unless the non-corporeal beings on the island intercede. And it would appear that longevity lasts far beyond the island, once granted.

It might also explain the truth about the crash of Oceanic 815. What if neither Ben nor Widmore brought the plane down on the island? What if neither of them contrived to have the plane so far off course? What if it was Jacob and his kind, purposefully bringing the right people to the island, ensuring that particular individuals survived? (A question, in fact, that has been asked sporadically by characters on the show, though not in the same terms.)

If so, then perhaps this episode begins to suggest the timeline of events on the island. Assuming, once again, that Charles Widmore was the leader of the Others up to (and perhaps including) the arrival of the Dharma Initiative, it leads to the following speculation. What if Jacob was not pleased with Widmore for quite some time? Perhaps Widmore had a right-hand man, someone like Matthew Abbadon. Perhaps Richard was tasked by Jacob to find a replacement.

Maybe Richard had reason, based on certain signs and portents, to believe that Locke was the right man for the job. Richard tried many times to bring Locke into the fold, as a child and as a teen. But clearly, Locke's own issues stood in the way. Around the same time, Dharma might have come to the island, perhaps based on a decision by Widmore himself. This could have been the final straw, forcing Widmore's ouster (as well as Abbadon's "walkabout") and the need for a replacement.

With Locke out of the running (at least, at the time), could Jacob have led Richard to Ben, a young man with very similar circumstances of birth? Could the signs and portents have been "close enough"? In the meantime, Widmore and his right-hand-man Abbadon could have learned about Locke, and could have pushed him towards his destiny, knowing that Locke could be the key to restoring their primacy over the Others and the island. Once Locke was on the way (metaphorically and, soon after, literally), Jacob could have decided that the interim leader was no longer necessary, leading to Ben's tumor. This would put the competition between Locke and Ben in an intriguing new light.

This assumes that the non-corporeal elements on the island are represented solely by Jacob. That may not be the case. The non-corporeal entities may, in fact, be in a struggle for control themselves. Jacob may represent one side of the equation, the side populated by Richard and Ben. There may be an opposing force related to Widmore and Abbadon. Jacob's side may simply want to protect the island; the other side may be wanting broader control.

If this speculation is at least close to reality, it may explain why Aaron was so important in the first season, as well as the early use of black/white imagery. Aaron could be more than just the solution to the fertility problem. He could be meant as the next great leader of the population of the island, perhaps even Locke's successor. Claire's presence in his life could be a deciding factor in which side controls Aaron's future, and thus the fate of the island and its secrets.

All of this is subject to much revision, but that is the strength of "Lost" this season. The condensed nature of the storytelling has made every moment important and meaningful to the Big Picture. It's also great to see Claire regain importance to the narrative. There's something disturbing in the sultry, dreamy, knowing look she gives Locke.

The rest of the episode is devoted to servicing the plot, setting the stage for the invasion by Widmore's mercenaries. These events are relatively straightforward, since it's clear that the ball has to get rolling for the finale somehow, but the time-distortion issue is still kept consistent throughout. Keamy is coming across as a bit over the top, but once his ruthlessness was established in "Meet Kevin Johnson", it couldn't be reduced. It is, however, the only true complaint for such a mind-bending episode.
  • Back to season 3 standards. Fantastic.

This is the episode I have been hoping for all season. Having waited over 9 months after the fantastic season finale of season 3, I've been pretty disappointed with season 4. We've had the flawless The Constant and the exciting Shape of Things to Come but other than that we've had some pretty limp, slow episodes, most demonstrated by the dreadfully disappointing Meet Kevin Johnson. THIS episode is what I've been waiting for. Classic flash backs, island based references to flashbacks, island mysteries touched upon, Richard being back, Jacob, night time! Fantastic stuff and I just hope they keep it up for the 3 episode finale. Can't wait but please don't let us wait so long between the end and the start of season 5...
  • Finally a Locke episode :)

That was a fantastic episode of Lost, especially if you are like me and are a Locke fanatic. It was awesome to see the beginnings of Locke, from childbirth and onwards. Also it seems from the very get go of his life, Locke was chosen to be the savior of the island. The whole thing with Richard and then the whole meeting after physical therapy with Matthew Abaddon was just so amazing and well written with so much foreshadowing all over it that just made me personally feel like in heaven when watching the episode. Also I am really liking how the thing with the boat is going. I was really expecting that to be a dull point in the show, but to me at least it's quickly becoming the people on the beach who are becoming a real bore to me. Anyway, Lost was fantastic as always and I can't wait for next Thursday :)
  • Alpeeeeerrrttt!

I KNEW that RICHARD ALPERT was IMPORTANT!

I called it a while ago. I said that Richard was the same age now as when he first met Ben as a child. I said that he is very important to the show and will play a big role. As usual I was right. He was the same age when John was a child too. That was bloody brilliant. I loved that scene. For once a flashback wasn't boring. Too bad he was so critical. Doesn't he realize that John picked the knife because no matter what else he may be, he is still also a kid and the knife draws the attention of a small boy? That scene reminded me of a similar scene from King of the Hill where Bobby picked an object that had belonged to Lama Sanglug. That's what made me realize that Richard was searching for the reincarnation of someone (Hanzo?)

The scene with the doctor was annoying. Didn't he realize that someone was going to kill him? He had fair warning. The time delay seems to have gotten even wider.

The show is really getting crazy now. I can't wait to see how they mess it up in the finale.
  • Awesome Episode About John Lock. Don't Enter if you didn't watch the episode yet !

Actually it was very good and exciting episode. Talked about John Lock's life in the far past which was some thing missing for lock's Flashes.

Also it showed very surprising connections between the characters ( Richard & John ) , ( Matthew Abdon & John ). LOST is going to be more mystique towards some characters. I think that the writers should concentrate about some characters who weren't explained to us , Like : Richard , Daniel , Matthew Abdon , Penny , Charles Widmore and More ... I think that will make LOST more exciting and have more plot.

The final part of this episode was very exciting. Finally we knew some things about Jacob And what happened to Claire.
  • Let's start moving...

Wow.. I have always enjoyed Locke episodes as he is very unique char - very out of usual standards. His storyline with faith and premonitions - it is just great. And this episode is not below the expectations - if not the best Locke episode, then on the top defenetly.

First the whole cabin thing - it has been haunting around for quite long and it looked like there is room some answers. But I think more than answers we did get more question. First, Claire.. What is she doing? What is her part? And the way she spoke about the baby? It looked like she has made 360* turn to evil, maybe.. why not. Something new for her.

But we did get one answer - Jacob is not Jack's father but still mystery remains. What he does on the island? Did he woke from death when he ended on the island? Anyway, I adore the mystery.

Also, the flashbacks to show more of the Locke's past - there is still so much to know - I liked the task when he had to choose something and he picked the knife. What it all meant? I have no idea... and the man who was on ER and later talked with Locke.. I had seen him before.. anyone have the idea who he was?

And the things on ship.. and the helicopter.. it was just a great episode.
  • How Do I Save The Island?

Really good epsiode overall I thought, with the first couple of flashbacks leaving a little more to be desired. I liked the episode much better upon rewatch when the first couple of flashes didnt take me to 10:20. I enjoyed the dream sequence a lot with Locke and Horrace and I have missed the dreams like those that Locke has had over the years. This one was certainly interesting, with the dream seeming to repeat on a loop (I think it was 3-4 times that it did this). Im not sure what it all means yet, but if we see Horrace again maybe we can get some more background information. Ben was great in this episode as well and it seems to me that the guy just works well with everyone on the show. The scene at the very end of the episode with Hurley and Ben was amazing and I would have LOVED if it had cut to LOST right after Locke asked the question that he had come there to ask.

Speaking of which, certainly a very odd and strange journey Locke and Ben are about to undertake in. They need to move the island, whatever that means. Move it to a different time, maybe? A lot of time has passed between where we are now on the island and where we are now in the flash-forwards (Sun just gave birth meaning 7 months ahead?) I dont know if the writers plan to fill in those gaps or if this moving the island adventure will jump them forward in time. Also to mention is that Keamy seems to all ready be on-island, so moving the island is only half of their problems.

Lockes flashback was certainly interesting, in two scenes anyway. The first two scenes were only highlighted by the return of Richard Alpert, who has been following John much longer then we thought. The scene with the items that John must choose was very interesting and should provide much to debate about around the forums. The best idea I have read to this point has been the thought of reincarnation - "No, John. Which of these items ALL READY belong to you?" Is Locke the next Jacob, is that what Richard was looking for.

The scene with Matthew was also a great one. The last line of that scene sets up a Abbadon + Locke reunion sometime in the future. Im not sure how I feel right now about Matthew telling Locke to go on his Walkabout, but it will do for now until we get a little more information. Overall, the flashbacks get a grade of a B, only because the other three were so plain and "whatever" quality.

Cabin scene was amazing. I knew Claire was going to the Cabin with Christain and something has happened to her. I have no idea what is going on with Claire but Im happy to see her vault into the main storyline for a chance. Aaron is now with Sawyer, who will soon transfer to a member of the Oceanic Six. Hurley also needs to get in gear, but a sense another Locke / Rest of the group showdown coming soon so we will see what happens with that. Jack wants to go after the plane, but Sayid should show up just at the right time to warn them of the upcoming danger and the war will begin in the next epsiode. Overall, very solid episode which due to the flashbacks finishes right there in the middle of the season.

Season Four Rankings

The Shape of Things to Come (10+)
    The Constant (10+)
    The Beginning of the End (10.0)
    The Economist (9.5)
    Meet Kevin Johnson (9.4)
    Cabin Fever (9.4)
    Something Nice Back Home (9.4)
    Confirmed Dead (9.3)
    Eggtown (9.2)
    The Other Woman (9.0)
    Ji Yeon (8.6) Season Four Average --> 9.44 (.01 behind 24 Season Five for the best season of all time, for me)
  • John Locke the miracle bastard baby and night of the living dead.

I loved this episode. So many questions, so many questions! Just for once I'd like more answers than questions but what are ya gonna do?

Apparently the island has been trying to recruit John (the world's oldest-looking 48-year-old, or am I doing the math wrong?) since the 1950s, possibly even fathering him by a mysterious man in his 30s (twice the age of the mother who was apparently a teen ager around 1956). I think this will be important but I can't predict how right now. The test Richard gives him is the same test they use for finding the new Dalai Lama. They show a child items the old Dalai lama owned (with other items thrown in) and see if the child picks the right ones. Why Locke botched the test (intentionally or because he's not the one) is still up in the air.

The island is operating in the future. That's how the doctor washed up on shore before he died. But wait! Didn't a missile fired from the boat arrive after it the boat showed it landing? That would indicate that the island was operating in the past. Which is it? Maybe it's both. When Locke reports they are supposed to move the island I suspect that will be in the 4th dimension (time) rather in the other three. But we'll see, won't we...

Keamy sure goes the extra mile in his mission. Why? The other freighties seem pretty much ready to say "I didn't sign up for this," when the going gets tough. Not Keamy though. Pretty much like it's personal. There must be a story there. But maybe he just has a better work ethic than his fellow employees.

Oh, the living dead. Is Claire among them? She sure wasn't herself. As someone who would do anything to protect her baby she sure gave him up lickety split. Does not compute. Let's talk about Ben. Do I think that he's really all that resigned to the fact that the island hasn't picked him anymore so he's just gonna slip away into the background. Oh Heck No! He's playing Locke like a fiddle, as per usual. And now that I'm thinking about it, if Locke had been the chosen one going right back to his premee birth, why wasn't he on the list when they dragged survivors off into the woods on the first few episodes? Seems like he would have been. For that reason I feel like they are adding a story line that they didn't start with. Things get messy when that happens. Remember the X-Files. It went nowhere. What a mess.
  • good episode...

This was a pretty good episode - not amazing, but still good. Locke is going off trying to find the cabin while the freighter army people are going back to the island to kill everyone...interesting. I was sad that the caption was shot, well, not really, I just liked his voice...I liked how Desmond stayed on the freighter and Sayid left - it makes more story lines and it makes it more intersting when they're on their own. I loved the whole part with Jacob, well, it wasn't even Jacob. I guess I got really confused when I saw Claire with him, even though he's her father, it was just...odd that he would give up her baby that easily. I'm very intersting in seeing what he'll bring to the story, other than being the father of Jack and Claire. I liked the flashbacks; very interesting. Overall, good episode.
  • Not what it could have been.

This was a entertaining episode, however it could have been so much more.

The Jacob confrontation - or not - was the most interesting let-down ever. To explain, it was not what I wanted, I didnt get enough, but what a brilliant surprise. It's good to see Claire will be playing another interesting role.

This episode probably had some of the most interesting flashbacks of the entire series. On top of that it was nice to see them take the different approach to flashbacks, it worked in the episodes favor, adding a nice sense of pace, to a rather uneventful episode.

Ben and Lockes discussion and all that stuff about being 'chosen' gives for some very interesting musings at the fate of the 2 charecters. The additional conversation on Dharma was also rather satisfying. This episode is the calming before storm, a great drum-up for the seasons finale, it did plenty of stuff and had some nice variety, but it was touch bland and not as satisfying as it could have been.
  • Great episode. (includes spoilers)

After last week's episode, which was far from perfect, I give this episode a full 10! First of all Jack hardly appeared in this episode – which was great, cause I'm kinda getting tired of him. Not that I have anything against him, and I will always like him cause of Party of Five, but still enough is enough. I loved the whole cabin search part of the episode intertwined with flashbacks to John's childhood. Ben's dialogue was brilliant as always and Hurley was entertaining as usual. Big surprise to find Claire in the cabin. I'm betting that she was wounded pretty badly in the explosion and that she actually died, which would explain why her father took her with him. But still, I can't explain that weird smirk she had on her face when John approached her. Weird.

The interaction on board the ship was pretty intense and very interesting (I really hate Keamy). One small mystery was at last solved as we got to see how the creepy Doctor ended up washed on the shore with a slit throat. And once again, we discover that Michael can't die (what a shame, he's really getting on my nerves). I can't believe the Captain was killed. He was actually one of the nicer people aboard the ship and I was hoping we'd see more of him. Can't wait for next week's episode!!!

On a side note, Desmond is my favorite character and has been since he joined the show, but, I have to admit that Frank Lapidus (Jeff Fahey) is slowly taking over that spot with his small but excellent appearances throughout the past episodes. He's just an amazing. I loved the way he tried to refuse to take Keamy on the chopper and how he threw the satellite phone out of the chopper for the survivors. I just hope we get to see more his story and that he doesn't end up like the captain.
  • emily locke's mom! ben's mom was emily too. brothers then?

could locke and ben be brothers? on this episode we learned that emily is locke's mother. on episode 'the man behind the curtain' (season 3) emily was ben's mom... coincidence?

right before locke found horace's body, ben had a 'no, he found it' expression on his face. to me, it made me think still plays for all teams. looks like he 'wanted' to find the cabin. once inside the cabin, i was freaked by claire's evil smile. it was like she knew everything now. the big question now is: why is christian shepard on the island?

in the hospital scene, i was impressed by alpert showing up there. later on, when he came to locke's house, i think he was not disappointed at all after locked selected the knife. i believe he was impressed, freaked out but he made it seem like he did, acting as if locke failed.

do the objects locke selected have a meaning? or is it just a resemblance to objects used on the island... knife, compass and -sand-...
  • Good intro, good outro and Darma is back in the picture ! I start rambeling from here ...

spoilers !

I have to say this was a very good episode !
    First of all i have to thank vicqueto for seeing the link between emily beeing ben's and Locks' mother. That is exiting news witch explains why Ben sad that hey where diferent in that kind of tone...I asume diferent fathers but with emily dating a guy 2 times here age that will probably be the same guy. ( and a new secret )

This was a episode with a lot Lock and new or long-time-not-seen faces. Personaly i thought that went a little to fast because i have problems remembering all that. But this is no complain to the show ! I realy like stuff like that, for example the guy in Lock's dream!

I was almost afraid in the flashback with the black man pushing Lock's weelchair that he woud be jacob or something. That woud have been cheap and they didn't do that ( thanks! ) So he will be in the finale to make things extra hard for Lock ( i woud think because he ows him one apearently ) In other flashbacks emily is running out on baby-john and when the guy comes again when he is like 5 orso there is no sight of emily.Still, he has an older sister and younger brother ( baby-ben or is that stratching it? And from who is that baby-boy? From emily or her mother? )

2 things i likes about the ending.
    1st is that we see claire back and she has been ... let's say enlichted (typo,i know) and seems so happy maybee knowing that her boy will be in jacks good parenting hands??

2nd thing is ofcourse the last line. "he want us to move the island" I won't go wilt on this one but all i'm thinking is .. whell how the hell is sweet Sayid and his little boat going the get to the island if they move the damned thing :)
    Maybee some hardcore-adiceted-fan has a headcount of the people in the future-flashed and count if they can fit in that little boat of his?

Is it just me or is it just my feeling that the writers are now realy back in the series? It sure feels this way and Lost is fully back in the game !
< 1 2