Lost

Cabin Fever

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 08, 2008 on ABC

• What's next... faeries

I will be giving this show one or two more chances then I'll decide if I want to continue or just bail out of it. It's seeming as the writers are just adding things to the plot, basically ANYTHING can happen now and they don't even really need to explain it. Because this is a magical island that anything can happen and it can do anything. *spoiler-ish* The part where John gets told to "move the island" was the beginning of the end for me. The chances of the writers just putting so much crap into the show that the only way they can end it is by having... let's go with Walt wake up and it was all a big dream, are pretty high.

Too bad... it was a decent show at one point...
  • While nowhere near the worst episode of Lost ever, Cabin Fever is without question the most disappointing. For anyone looking for more than cheap thrills, to watch this is to witness a train-wreck in slow motion.

4.5
    It seems only fitting that in a season that has relegated the character of John Locke - according to many, the greatest character on Lost; according to Emmy voters, one of the greatest actors on television - to nothing more than an inconsistent plot device, the episode awarded him - the episode leading up to the three-part finale - is the most disappointing yet.

Here there be spoilers!

As befits the writers in charge of this season, the man feels nothing. Success is signified by an enigmatic one-liner worthy of CSI, failure is met with an expression of doubt that is reverted to default in the next immediate scene (because to grow as a character, one must BE a character; and it's clear that John is at this point no more than a walking, talking plot device), and the flashbacks - which have always been heartfelt and relevant - are trivial fill in the blanks that are supposed to set up some kind of reveals in episodes to come. Apparently John had already met Richard before the island -- though he didn't recognize the man (who has not aged a day) back in season 3. Also apparently, John has already met the mysterious Matthew Abaddon. So now when they meet again, we're going to be treated to a huge "Oh my God, it's you!" moment that - we're supposed to believe - has been in the works forever. Handled the same way as Jack's meeting with Desmond in the season 2 premiere "Man of Science, Man of Faith," except Jack meeting Desmond wasn't a huge moment at all - the only shock there being coincidence. This situation is entirely different - with this flimsy reveal, it is seemingly Mr. Abaddon who is responsible for John going on his Walkabout, and once the two meet they will have a lot to talk about. The only problem is how absolutely fake it feels. "Let's connect some two absolutely random characters in a flashback in a really significant way right before they meet on the show, so that the viewers get to imagine that this meeting has been in the making for a long time." In fact, it's been in the making for a couple of weeks, and it most certainly feels that way.

Apart from this pseudo set-up, the flashbacks are entirely useless. They do not provide Terry O'Quinn with any material to work with whatsoever - he appears in a record-setting one scene, something never before done on a Lost flashback. It shows. Were we supposed to feel bad for little Johnnie because he got stuffed in a locker? Too bad for little Johnnie we've known about this since halfway into the first season (episode Hearts and Minds; "I wasn't the most popular kid [at school]."). The scene with the teacher seems like it's building up to something, but before there can be any true resolution we flash-forward to John's recovery and any momentum gained is lost. The same happens earlier - after young John's confrontation with Richard Alpert, it seems that something may happen, yet we jump to his high school years ignoring any emotional ramifications of any of this entirely. Just when it seems like one of the stories might be getting somewhere, we're whisked away to another scene, because obviously getting through the plot is clearly a higher priority for the writers - as far as John is concerned, at least - than building up any sort of emotional attachment whatsoever.

So the entire episode is essentially playing catch-up to stories already told. We get to SEE what John went through as a kid in detail (because just having heard it was not enough; the writers did NOT learn their lesson from A Stranger in a Strange Land as they'd claimed), we get to see the doctor die (in what is, arguably, the best scene in the episode) and Sayid takes the boat that will provide the Oceanic 6 passage back to the mainland. The meeting with Jacob - built up for the ENTIRE season - ends with the reveal that Christian isn't Jacob, he's just Christian, and so the everything is, once again, in the air and up for grabs. What should have been exciting instead comes off as an insulting red herring that we've been following for over a season - instead of making it out to be the huge deal that it was, they instead glossed over it as casually as with any other mystery: "Jacob? Oh, no, I'm not Jacob! I'm just a guy who sits here!" And instead of making John seem mysterious as he was in season 1 - naturally, by extension of his character - here the writers force the mystery by simply not showing us a conversation. What worked for the Michael hold-off in Ji Yeon fails miserably here because instead of holding off a plot device to show it off in the next episode in full swing, they are artificially adding mystery to the John Locke character when there shouldn't be any. We know exactly what he wants to do (protect the island), we know that he's willing to do next to anything to do it (put a gun to Sawyer's head), but since it's John Locke and John Locke must be mysterious no matter what, the writers simply don't show us the conversation that reveals how he's going to do what it is he's going to do ("Move the island"? Even the music at the end didn't rise up to its usual pitch; it's as if the music sensed how underwhelming a reveal this turned out to be) so that when he does it it'll be a shocker! And, really, the big thing is to "move the island"? There's a massive confrontation between characters about to take place, and the answer is to do some magic and hocus-pocus, everything will be all right again? Color me not impressed.

There are many moments in this episode that weren't bad moments - Hurley had some nice dialogue with John and Ben by virtue of confronting them and stating the obvious, Captain Gault turned into quite an interesting character (before being unceremoniously taken care of - but really, he had it coming the whole episode through), and Sayid and Desmond were engaging. On the whole, however, it feels like a poor man's Lost -- a hackneyed attempt to capture the magic and depth of typical Lost episodes without ever nearing the mark. The Deus ex Machina dream sequence was not only informative and fitting with the theme of the episode, it was engaging and terrifying. Cabin Fever's, on the other hand, is entirely forgettable save the trivial detail that the sequence played over and over and over, which in a greater episode may have amounted to something, but in this one comes off as nothing short of a gimmick thrown in to add something - ANYTHING - to the scene to make it clear that it is supposed to be a freaky dream. The contradiction to a popular saying goes, "The whole is less than the sum of its parts." The parts being as average as they are, is it any surprise that the whole is such a crude disappointment? In a season that has consistently given John Locke - one of its most popular characters - no dialogue save the eye-rolling one-liners, a season that has consistently given Terry O'Quinn - one of its most highly acclaimed actors - absolutely no material to work with, the episode that should have changed all that instead amplified it to unimaginable degrees by playing up mysteries that the audience didn't even know were there in the first place at the cost of characterization, and provided the actor the least screentime ever in regard to flashback/flashforward, appearing in a record-setting one scene. By pandering to the cheap thrills crowd by creating suspense where there should have been none... by killing off a number of characters at the same time... by throwing in artificially staged meetings that had, apparently, 'been there' all along... the episode may receive high ratings; the same high ratings that The Shape of Things to Come (an episode infinitely greater than Cabin Fever) received thanks, in some part, to the appearance of the Smoke Monster . But the ADD-prone, plot-driven, character-destructive writing cannot be overlooked.

John Locke deserved better.
    Lost deserved better.

-pW

If you want to tear me a new one, feel free to do so at the copy+pasted (and added to) review in my Blog:

• Locke is singled out as being more important to the show's mythology than all of the other characters.

I was one of the few that wasn't the biggest fan of this episode. This mostly has to do with the show's implication that John Locke must be the most important person on LOST. Sure, there was always something interesting about John, but I liked when they towed the line of "is he special or is he just a weirdo?" Now it seems full fledged that he has a destiny that is more important to the grand scheme of things, and his overall connection to the island is getting a little too sci-fi weird for my taste. Now we have to move the island? What? It's reasons like this that some viewers ditch this show. Let's keep things practical, please.
  • Locke, Hurley and Ben find the cabin.

7.6
    This was another decent installment of LOST, but it is still not up to par with what we have come to expect from the best show on television. Past seasons and past episodes have contained gripping moments that have made you ask questions and remain on the edge of the seat for the entire broadcast. Not only is that thrill absent from Season 4, but it almost seems like the writers and producers keep on throwing pointless plot twists into every episode. Instead of creating real drama and emotion, they're just having a character die, or do something odd to try and get you to react.

Season 4 of LOST, this episode in particular, seems very forced. It's turned more into 90210 on a desert island than the show it once was.
  • Decent episode but they are getting a little carried away with the magical stuff they are starting to get a little weird, but the show is still good right now. (spoilers)

So we see Jack's Dad again as well as the cabin in this episode. I didn't care for all the crazyness they are starting to get weird about the stuff on the island. I still can't wait because now we are getting closer to the season finale and the next two weeks should be really good.

It sound like Fran is the only good one besides Sayid, Desmond and Micheal on the boat. He was trying to help the people by dropping the phone over them on the island and giving them warning about what was about to happen.

We will see tomorrow what happens with the people on the island and if there is some type of battle coming soon, I think there will be isome big battle in the last episode of the season, that is kind of how season 3 ended.
  • Not what it could have been.

This was a entertaining episode, however it could have been so much more.

The Jacob confrontation - or not - was the most interesting let-down ever. To explain, it was not what I wanted, I didnt get enough, but what a brilliant surprise. It's good to see Claire will be playing another interesting role.

This episode probably had some of the most interesting flashbacks of the entire series. On top of that it was nice to see them take the different approach to flashbacks, it worked in the episodes favor, adding a nice sense of pace, to a rather uneventful episode.

Ben and Lockes discussion and all that stuff about being 'chosen' gives for some very interesting musings at the fate of the 2 charecters. The additional conversation on Dharma was also rather satisfying. This episode is the calming before storm, a great drum-up for the seasons finale, it did plenty of stuff and had some nice variety, but it was touch bland and not as satisfying as it could have been.
  • One of the Greatest, yet disappointing episodes of lost to date. I had to watch Cabin Fever twice. Not because I loved it, but because i felt it should have been better than it was. After session one i was sorely disappointed. Locke deserved better

I'd been looking forward to Cabin Fever for weeks, perhaps more than the finale, as it was the episode where i believed we were going to get lots of locke, and lots of jacob.
    How wrong we were. For starters the Jacob scene we have been promised all year was boring, and in temrs of acting from christian and claire, laughable. Claire looked wasted, Christian looked out of place. Where was the great man himself Surely no lost fan wanted such a tepid cop-out from one of losts great mysteries.
    Lockes flashbacks, considered pivotal to the overall mythology felt disjointed and out of place too. Toomant clutches to insert character connections into Lockes history. Abbadons appearance, definetly a step too far.

So why have i given this episode, a huge disappointment a 9.1. The reason is that the freighter scenes were brilliant, full of tension, suspense, and brilliant acting from Kevin Durand (keamy) and Jeff Fahey (frank). The two characters have been the best of all things freighter related this season, with the exception of faraday.

And on my second viewing i found myself much more involved in the episode, probably having come to terms of the disappointment, and it truth it is by no means the worst episode of lost.

Yet i cant help but feel so much more could have been acheived. It was too much of a cop out, and the cliffhanger was laughably bad....I think i should stop before i lower the mark any further down...i started at 9.3
  • A great set up for the final, a little confusing but awesome regardless

Okay, when the episode bagan, I was thinking, "What on earth is this?" I didn't understand what was going on before John Locke was born. I was thinking that LOST had been canceled lol. I thought I was witnessing a disturbing 70's classic film.

It was awesome, and finally we see an episode with flashbacks for once about John's young life. Obviously we know that Richard doesn't age, or he travels through time. It's the only solution to this. He was the same age when John was speaking with him about killing Tom Sawyer as well as Ben Linus as a child running through the jungle in Man Behind The Curtain. This episode was very much like The Man behind the Curtain. Awesome, more on the Jacob part, Ben acting strange because goofd old John Locke has taken his place as Jacob's only friend. Great to see more of the Dharma part. It seems that Season 2 was it's own story since there is nothing more on the Dharma. On the freightor, Keemy executed the Captain which I was annoyed about. His actions are serious for Charles Widmore. The final leads us to ask the question, will Widmore suceed and how will our survivors get off the island?
    Finally, the conclusion with John coming face to face with the man in hiding, Christian Sheppherd. Claire Littleton herself was in the cabin, following Christian's instructions.

So, perhaps it was really Christian standing there on early Season 1. Somehow he escaped the death in Sydney and made it out that he was dead. Then going back, Ana-Lucia Cortez and James were the last people with to see him before his disappearance. It's amazing, the whole suspense has given me high thoughts on next week's episode before the two-hour season finale the following week... I'm impressed.
  • What the heck is going on?

Locke has flashbacks to when he was born and when Richard thought he was special. Also, he has a high school flashback and a flashback to a conversation with a man telling him about the walkabout.

Locke, Hurley and Ben trek through the jungle in search of the cabin. Locke has a strange dream, where Horace, a dead Dharma member, tells him how to find the cabin. Locke goes to the Dharma grave and finds a map. He finds the cabin and goes in. He finds Jack and Claire's father, Christian, and Claire. Christian tells him to move the island.

On the freighter, Keamy finds out that Michael is the spy on the boat. He tries to kill him. The captain sends Sayid out to rescue the survivors. Desmond stays behind. Keamy takes matters into his own hands. When Frank refuses to fly the helicopter, Keamy kills the doctor. He also kills the captain. While flying over the island, Frank drops off a map to Jack and the survivors at the beach.

This episode was great! It was so confusing though. I want to know what's up with Christian and Claire. I really have no clue what's really going on. Apparently, the island is foward in time and not just time, but like time! That didn't make sense huh? Well, I give this episode a 9.5!
  • emily locke's mom! ben's mom was emily too. brothers then?

could locke and ben be brothers? on this episode we learned that emily is locke's mother. on episode 'the man behind the curtain' (season 3) emily was ben's mom... coincidence?

right before locke found horace's body, ben had a 'no, he found it' expression on his face. to me, it made me think still plays for all teams. looks like he 'wanted' to find the cabin. once inside the cabin, i was freaked by claire's evil smile. it was like she knew everything now. the big question now is: why is christian shepard on the island?

in the hospital scene, i was impressed by alpert showing up there. later on, when he came to locke's house, i think he was not disappointed at all after locked selected the knife. i believe he was impressed, freaked out but he made it seem like he did, acting as if locke failed.

do the objects locke selected have a meaning? or is it just a resemblance to objects used on the island... knife, compass and -sand-...
  • Brings up interesting insights into Locke's background.

I started off in Season 1 with John Locke being my favorite character in the show. Slowly that began to change and Ben Linus was pretty even with Locke, just due to the mystery of his backstory. Eventually, Richard Alpert has become my favorite character - I really want to know what his history is. So this episode, featuring all three in significant roles, was one of my favorites. I know other reviews speak in detail about what happened specifically. What I loved, however, was how it showed that Locke was indeed special - or at least had the promise of being special, from birth. How is this possible? Who was Locke's father? Why was he not special enough to join the "hostiles" (Alpert) before he crashed on the island? If he is so special to Alpert and Jacob - how does this explain what eventually happens to him in Season 5? So many questions...but so perfectly Lost.
  • Full of surprises!

The Flashback: I believe this is the first flashback this season. Well, for a Locke flashback, it wasn't really any good other than the fact we see how special he really is and how much the others have already been following him ever since.

The Island: Well, in Locke's camp (or what's left of it), they're just basically going round and round. The only thing they have to lead them is Locke's dreams and I don't think much people trust him on that. We discover something that they have been looking for for quite a while now, but it's what lies inside this thing that is most surprising.

The boat people are coming and I can sense an all out war.
  • A episode that can be great or good, with good setups, a imcomplete FB or without meaning yet and a interesting mini Adventure that ends up with a intriguing and vague ending.

Plot Details/Objective -» Locke is the remaining character to be explored as the Main character in this episode before the season finale. This make things more difficult, because all about Locke was explored before in his past. But the Writers tried to tie with everything they could. Take for example Richard sudden appearance when Locke was born, why? This is a answer only for season 5 or 6. Even when Richard visited Locke, this is only a setup to explain more later. The last scene tried to make sense with Locke desire to be…….and that man that appeared for Hugo, he was with Locke before, and this feel forced, but we will see why he appeared in this flashback in the next season.

What I Like/Disliked -» I didn´t appreciate Locke editing flashbacks, It seemed not only forced some scene that tried to tie with the next two seasons, but the fact that you don´t have time to really appreciate none character development or any explanation. Like I predicted that was Christian that would talk with Locke and the writers managed to hide the secrets of the Island, because they are in a hurry. The ending was Lost Typical ending that I appreciate.

Overall:

Presentation -» (7/10). What was good at the presentation was the freighter situation, simply started to be interesting.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Locke trying to find Jacob Cabin. The FB don´t enter here, The situation on the Freighter was more interesting.

Climax -» (8/10). The freighter situation with some deaths was more intense than any other scenes there. When Locke arrived and enter the Cabin was nice too, but nothing superb here.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). The type of ending that only Lost can deliver, strange, vague and mysterious.

Flashbacks -» (6/10). Nothing good here, because I can´t see the connection here. The details was nothing more than a tied technique, the more powerful technique that every writers has. Until the next season explain two scenes there, I stick with my rating.

Time and Scenes Management -» (9/10). The Locke´s FB was something that will have meaning more later, can´t say that all the scenes was for nothing. Locke mini adventure was intriguing as usual and the freighter scenes were intense.

Dialogues -» (9/10). The usual dialogues quality of Lost.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). A mini adventure that ends with a intriguing and vague mission.

Drama/Emotions -» Didn´t notice any type of drama here.

Suspense/Tension -» (8/10). The freighter had some good scenes filled with tension.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). The usual good quality, nothing great here, until the confusing and vague ending mission.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The ending, Claire appearance and Richard and that strange man being in Locke Flashback.

The FB seemed forced, the writers used the tie technique, putting some characters that we already know in Locke FB. The freighter plot is nothing more but a setup and Locke adventure ended the way everyone could expect, vague and intriguing. This episode is great, but can feel incomplete, but overall at least is a good episode.
  • So the countdown continues, six were rescued...but why those six....??? Ah, nevermind that's not what this episode it's about...

Locke has been one of my favorite characters from episode 1, so this episode was easily on my cool book, I was upset we didn't saw Jacob, but confirmed what I always thought, Locke was destined to be the next leader of the Others and ultimately, the main one in the island, the flashbacks of his life could be pointless for some, but they were obviously there for a reason, He was expected form day one to be part of the Dharma Iniciative (or it's previous conception), but as a man of science, as we see in several moments It was what a lot of people expected from him, but his spirit is a different story, he's an adventurer, a hunter a survival, even when he has the brain he has, his interests lays in other side totally, (think of him as a "Good Will Hunting" type)so in the end, it was clear he was going to end on the island, the question was on WHICH side was going to be in.... On the scientist side (the brain) or the other's side (the spirit), Ben's clearly knows his time on the island is up, so he'll find a way out of there, although maybe not with the Six survivors we know about.

The situation on the Carrier makes clear that the thing happening on the island are some hours or days ahead of our normal space/time, I.E.- The Doctor's corpse, what else do we have to learn??

Jack was standing and walking, did he heal faster now too, was his sickness a warning from the island to leave???

This series got me hooked since I saw the first episode, and honestly it's getting harder to wait six days to see the next episode, I wish I could say the same thing about Smallville....
  • A Locke episode

We open this episode with Emily, in the sixties being knocked down by a car and taken to hospital, where she tells them she is pregnant and gives birth to a boy. She asks them to name him John. Through out the episode we see John growing up as a child, and through different stages of his life. The helicopter arrives back at the ship. Sayid plans to go back to the Island with Desmond but at the last minute Desmond pulls out. Locke, Ben & Hugo go to find the cabin, where Jacob is. When the pilot (Frank) doesn't agree to fly the helicopter back to the island, one of them kills the doctor. He then also kills the caption of the ship. Frank then hires up the helicopter and they take off. Back on the island they see the helicopter and something drops out. It's a tracking system. When they arrive at the cabin, Ben and Hugo both decide not to go in, so Locke goes in alone. They wish him Good Luck. He goes in and there is someone else there (the man that visited him all though years ago as a child), who says he can speak on Jacobs behalf. Claire is also there. He tells John to ask the one question that really matters and John asks "How do I save the island?"

When he comes out he tells Ben and Hugo that Jacob wants them to move the island. They both look at him as if he has lost his mind. How can things happen on the island (like dead bodies) before they have actually happened?
  • Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Really, Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Honestly, I would have settle for the scenes with Locke, Ben, and Hurley. Hurley asking questions, John Locke trying to answer them and Ben just being his arrogant jerk of a self. The scene where they were standing by the Mass-Grave of Dharma people was freaky and cool at the same time. Locke's dream was really freaky, even it couldn't prepare us to see the mass grave and Ben's explaination. Also, I loved when Hurley gave Ben the piece of his candy bar!! too funny.

Plus we learn that Martin Keamy is a sick and twisted man and who killed the Doctor.
  • With superb character development for Locke and Ben and guest appearances from Lance Reddick, Nestor Carbonell and Doug Hutchinson, Cabin Fever is a fine example of why Locke's episodes always deliver to the fans. Major spoilers.

The episode starts off with a flashback to a time before Locke was born. We discover that Locke's mother Emily had gotten pregnant with an older man that her mother didn't approve of. As she tried to run away however she was knocked over by a car and went into early labour. After John Locke is born, Emily realises that she is too young to become a mother and runs out. However one of the creepiest moments in the scene has to be when Emily's mother notices a strange man watching John from afar...and we realise that it is Richard Alpert, looking exactly the same as he always has. Who is this guy and why does he not age?
    We then go to a flash of when John was five. He is in one of his many foster homes and soon his mother announces that a professor from a special school has come to offer John a place...and once again Richard walks into the room. Richard tells John that he has to pass a test and then lays out a number of items which include: a comic book, a bible, a vial of sand, a compass and a hunting knife. After observing these items, Locke chooses the knife but Richard is clearly angered and tells Locke's mother that he is not ready for the school. It is clear to fans that this scene is going to be one that we will have to closely analyse when confronted with Richard Alpert again. Why did he freak out when Locke picked the knife and what was that look of satisfaction on his face when Locke was handling the compass and the sand?
    Locke's next flashback takes place when he is 16 and at school. His science teacher pulls him out of a locker that he has been stuffed into, after trying to fight with some older studants. His teacher comforts him and says that a special school by the name of Mittelos Bioscience (sound familiar) wants to recruit him for a summer school but Locke is immediately questionable and refuses to reply to them. When his teacher begins to tell him that he cannot live the life of a sportser and that he is destined to be a scientist, Locke screams his catchphrase and leaves the room. The final flashback of the episode (and you thought the previous four had been ambigious) takes place after Locke has broken both his legs. As he is being taken back to his hospital room by an orderly we realise that the orderly is none other than Matthew Abbadon, the creepy guy who visited Hurley in the future and was behind recruiting the science team. Abbadon talks to Locke about hope and destiny and then tells Locke that he needs to go on a walkabout to find himself. Locke is at first skeptical, after all he is in a wheelchair, but it is clear that he takes up the idea or he wouldn't have been on 815. But why did Abbadon pose as an orderly to talk to Locke? Why did he mention that they may see each other again? And did Abbadon know that Locke would end up on the island if he took Flight 815?
    And now we come to the action on the island, which almost takes a backseat to the strange things that we are seeing in Locke's flashbacks. Locke, Ben and Hurley are still having no luck in finding Jacob's cabin but after having a vivid dream in which Horace Goodspeed tells him to go to the Dharma grave, Locke realises he is one step closer to his destiny. At the Dharma grave, Locke finds Horace's body and discovers a piece of paper in his pocket which turns out to be a map to Jacob's cabin. Apparently Horace was building the cabin before he died. With new directions the three set off and reach the cabin by nightfall. One character development through the episode seems to be how Locke is taking over Ben's role. After Locke has his dream, Ben recalls a time when he used to have dreams as well and realises that his time as Jacob's spokesperson is finally over. However instead of shooting John in the back as he has previously done he admirably accepts his fate and sends Locke into Jacob's cabin alone. Outside Ben and Hurley share one of the all time funniest moments in Lost when they share an apollo bar together. Inside the cabin Locke is confronted by Christian Shepard who reveals that he is not Jacob, but can speak on his behalf. Locke then realises that Claire is in the cabin and acting very strangely but she refuses to say how she came to be there. Finally Locke asks how he can save the island and Christian gives him an extremely strange answer...Jacob wants him to move the island. How can Locke move the island and if he moves it, then where will it end up? A side bar storyline that is going on in this episode is the story on the freighter. Frank, Keamy and the rest of the mercenaries return and reveal what happened to them at the Barracks. Keamy seems angry that Widmore refused to tell him about the Black Smoke and decides to go to the secondary protocol, which is that the mercenaries must go to the Orchid station to find Ben, because that is where he will go in times of trouble. Apparently orders were to get Ben from the orchid and then torch the island, killing everyone on it. Captain Gault tries to stop him but Keamy shoots him dead in cold blood. Frank at first refuses to take them to the island but after Keamy slits Doc Ray's throat, Frank agrees to protect everyone else's life. However he double crosses Keamy by putting a tracking signal on the helicoptor and then dropping the radio over the beechcamp. After Jack retrieves the radio he realises that the helicoptor wants them to follow it. Elsewhere on the freighter Michael is tied up for his crime of sabotaging the engine room, whilst Gault gives Sayid the Zodiac raft so he can go back to the island and start bringing survivors back to the freighter. Desmond refuses to go, saying he vowed never to return to the island if he left so Sayid goes alone, not knowing that Gault was murdered by Keamy or that they are on their way back to the island to torch it.
    Overall Cabin Fever was one of the biggest highlights of season 4, in that it dealt with action scenes, mythology and character development. Locke taking over Ben's role was almost emotional, especially how Michael Emerson played it and Kevin Durand's performance as Keamy was almost good as Andrew Divoff's performance as Mikhail. Cabin Fever certainly set up for the season four finale and leaves the audience thinking how the Oceanic 6 are going to get together and finally get off the island.
  • Awesome Episode About John Lock. Don't Enter if you didn't watch the episode yet !

Actually it was very good and exciting episode. Talked about John Lock's life in the far past which was some thing missing for lock's Flashes.

Also it showed very surprising connections between the characters ( Richard & John ) , ( Matthew Abdon & John ). LOST is going to be more mystique towards some characters. I think that the writers should concentrate about some characters who weren't explained to us , Like : Richard , Daniel , Matthew Abdon , Penny , Charles Widmore and More ... I think that will make LOST more exciting and have more plot.

The final part of this episode was very exciting. Finally we knew some things about Jacob And what happened to Claire.
  • Another amazing episode in a rollar coaster of a season.

Great to see Locke getting another episode.
    It was interesting to see the conditions of John's premature birth after a car accident, and his constant struggle with illnesses for awhile. It emphasized his survivor and fighter sides that we see later in his life. But I was hoping to see a young Cooper at some point.
    The return of the ageless Richard was a nice surprise, to see how he tries to shape and guide 'special' people, like Locke and Ben, early in life. It raises some interesting questions.
    My biggest question goes towards Abaddon. Why is he telling Locke to go on that walkabout? Did he know Locke would end up on 815 if he did? And if the freighter army is there to kill everyone, and if Abaddon's group was part of the freighter, why would he want Locke dead if he sent him there in the first place? Or maybe Abaddon's people are n't there to kill, just Widmore's.
    I also now officially loathe and despise Keamy. His group makes the Others seem like harmless kittens now. I hope down the line they get their due.
    And winner for the jaw dropping scene, last lines....
    "What does he want us to do?"
    "He said we have to move the island."

Great episode. They just keep getting better and better.
  • One of the best Lost episodes I have seen so far!!!

Cabin Fever had all of the Lost features I have come to love. It actually had a Locke flashback, mystery, surprises, and some answers. We get to find out what happened to Claire, who has been hanging out in the cabin, and what happened to the doctor. It also hints that the island may be moving and how Locke is soon to be crowned the leader of the Others. It was really interesting to see how the island has been watching Locke his whole life and to be reminded that Richard never ages. Best of all it left me wanting more, I can't wait for next week!! Watch this episode if you haven't already, I know I will be watching again before next week.
  • One of the greatest episodes in season 4, but we really got cheated out of the ending.

Summary: Ben, Locke, and Hurley head off to Jacob's cabin to meet Jacob. Captain Kiwi goes insane and starts to murder his own people. Flashbacks reveal Locke being chosen by the island.
    Pros: The interaction between Locke and Ben in this episode is priceless. But what makes this episode for me is Keamy. If you would have told me a year ago that a freighter was going to steal the spotlight from Jacob...But he really did, and I have to say congrats to the actor (I forgot your name...) The Locke flashbacks were pretty cool as well and helped to set the mood of the episode. Cons: Short and simple, the ending. Not only were we cheated out of seeing Jacob, but also treated to one of the most bizarre cliffhangers ever. And the Locke flashbacks, cool as they were, really had no bearing on the show. Overall: A fantastic episode that ended up keeping the fast pace of "The Shape of Things to Come", and one of the best episodes to date.
  • It just gets better and better!!

"Cabin Fever" is one of the best episodes of the series, I really enjoyed the whole episode there wasn't one bad part to it, the flashback was the weakest part to the episode because I thought the only good parts were Abbadon and Alpert's scenes, oh and the young Locke saying "Don't tell me what I can't do".

The Freighter parts were amazing, I really like the character of Keamey, he is one of those characters you love to hate. Wonder what that devicce was on his arm. Totally didn't expect the captain to get shot. The scene when Sayid was driving back to the island was great, I got goosebumps.

The short beach scene was cool, I actually Found Jack funny for once. Then the helicopter came back WOW!

Well the main story to this episode was Locke, Ben and Hurley trying to find Jacobs cabin, Locke's dream was wierd and spooky as usual. There were some funny lines aswell like the part were Hurley asks what happened to Dharma and John replied "Ben happened" thought it was very funny. Scary scenes were in the actual cabin with Jacks dad and Claire they were both very scary and what was the matter with Claire's eyes? The ending was a shocker and really confusing, How do you move an island?

"Cabin fever" was a excellent episode of Lost which is right up there with the best episodes of this show.
  • more questions without answers

Wow, what can I say?. I have no words to describe this unbelievable episode. Let´s start.

While John, Hurley and Ben are looking for the famous cabin, Said, Desmond and Michael continue in the boat. Something wire is happening here, because they wanna destroy the island, and almost kill Michael. The Pilot, now is realising that he is not with the good guys, and try to help the Jack´s group throwing their a transmisor to follow they. Continuing with John, a the rest, he finally find the cabin, and what is the Big Surprise???? who is in there??? OMG, Claire and Jack´s father.... Amazing!

I love this show, really, really love it, but I have to say, that in this episode I don´t understand a thing.
  • Locke learns his purpose. Kimi takes over as the antagonist. richard and the creepy dude have been following Locke his whole life.

wow. just wow. There were multiple holy sh** moments. This was one of the best episodes this season. They're slowly bringing Locke back to where he was in season 1. I'm psyched for where this is all going. Can't wait for next week.

Also, this episode opens the door to new theories. Why have Richard and Agamamonmamsm chasing Locke since he was young? How important is Locke? Is Locke being manipulated by the island? Who is Jacob? Is Jacob Lock? Is there a reason that JAcob wasn't in the cabin? etc etc etc... Awesome episode. Can't wait till we see what happens when they get off the island.
  • Another wow episode which continued to increase the anticipation for the season finale.

First in the flasbacks we come to know that John Locke was always some kind of a chosen one. Richard went to see him when he was young.

Meanwhile on the freighter we continued to realise the time difference between the island and the rest of the world. The doctor's throat was slit a day after the losties found him on the beach.

Locke found Jacob's cabin and when he went in it he found Christian Shepard and Claire in it. Claire looked very relaxed in the cabin. Meanwhile Christian told him that to save the island, they had to move the island.

This will make the season finale very interesting to say the least.
  • Revelations about who Locke was --- or are they?

Considering how exciting the flashbacks of Locke have been in the series, I was understandably excited to hear that we were getting another one in this episode. For the most part, it tells us things we already know about him--- his birth mother abandoned him, he was raised in foster care, he was a loser, he loved backgammon, and he had given up on ever walking again. However, 'Cabin Fever' shows us that even from the beginning of his life, Locke was special--- or was he? Later events will suggest that even now he might have been manipulated, and that manipulation is still going on even on the island.

We see that from the beginning of his life, he defied the odds. Born three months premature, he then fought off a series of illnesses to come out of the incubator. When he was given up for adoption, Richard Alpert was there watching him. Why is not clear yet, but he visits Locke at the age of five, saying that he represents a school for very special children. There, Locke clearly drew a picture of a man being attacked by a pillar of smoke suggesting that somewhere in his DNA, he knew something about the island. Richard then presents Locke with six objects--- a baseball glove, a Book of Laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. He then says to him: "Take the ones that already belong to you." This would seem to be a test for the island. Locke takes the vial of sand, and the compass. Richard seems pretty excited. Locke then leans in, looks at the Book of Laws.--- Alpert looks like he's going to burst--- and then John chooses the knife. Considering how closely Locke is associated with knives (and later events) we would think this is the right choice. (especially cause we've still got no idea what the Book of Laws is) Whatever the reason, Richard turns away, and Locke is left behind.

Question: what is Richard doing in John's past, again appearing ageless. Back in season 4, the popular theory was that he was time traveling to the past exploring for candidates to be the chosen one. However, later evidence suggests that didn't happen. Richard was looking for Locke, but because of events that preceded what happened in this episode. It still doesn't explain why he looks exactly the same in 1956 than he does in 2004 (in fact, it makes it even less comprehensible) It does suggest why Richard may not have thought Locke was special but thought Ben was.

In high school, Locke is still getting stuffed in lockers, and even less popular. Again, he gets an offer from a science camp in Portland (not that different from what Juliet was offered), but Locke refused to give in, even though he's good at science. Locke's repeating of his motto "Don't tell me what I can't do," seems to show just as when he was an adult, Locke never trusted his own instincts. He did what was popular rather than what he was good at. And in the end, all it brought him was more pain.

The most telling flashback takes place in the hospital and involves a man we've seen before--- Matthew Abaddon, now disguised as an orderly. We then see him try to boost Locke's confidence, and plant the seed of the idea of the walkabout in his head. It's still unclear who he's working for, or why he seems so certain to try and put Locke on the path that will lead to the island. There were all sorts of theories about him after this--- one suggesting that, like Richard, he doesn't seem to age. I never bought this theory because a) it's only been, at most, five years between when we see him here, and 'The Beginning of the End', and b) Lance Reddick is such a skilled actor, he could be playing late twenties to early forties and you still wouldn't be sure unless the show told you. (I never could tell how old Cedric Daniels was on The Wire.)

On the island, Locke is still trying to find his way, but he seems to be getting waylaid. He then has a dream of Horace Goodspeed, who tells Locke he's been dead for twelve years, and seems to imply that he was the one to build the cabin that houses Jacob. Again, later evidence would suggest that this is highly unlikely, if only because the Dharma Initiative never seemed to have a clear idea just how special the island was. Otherwise, why would they have been fighting the others. Nevertheless, Locke does find a map in Horace's pocket that does seem to lead to the cabin. However, if this is true, how did Ben find Jacob in the first place? This would seem to be an indication that Jacob hasn't lived in this cabin always (and there's a strong implication he never did)

Eventually, Hurley is the one who finds the cabin, but we're still not sure how. Locke walks in the front door for the first time, but Jacob isn't there--- Christian Shephard is. Now since we saw him here last time we saw the cabin, that's not so strange. But Claire is also in the cabin, and she seems so at peace, the theory that she was dead would seem to hold some merit. Furthermore, rather than answer questions, Christian keeps asking them, finally forcing him to ask the question they need to know Given what we know now, it seems pretty clear that Jacob never asked these questions, especially because Christian is no longer wearing the suit he was buried in. Locke is still being manipulated, and he doesn't know how.

Ben probably could provide some answers, but for the first time since we've known him, he seems more passive than we've ever seen him. Is he upset that he has been usurped by Locke, or (more likely) has the death of Alex has taken all the fight out of him? Something's deflated him, and when he decides not to go into the cabin, it seems that he has nothing left to fight for.

Of course, all of this could be irrelevant based on what's happening on the freighter. What remains of the mercenaries have made it back, and somehow Keamy has survived, and he's is royally ticked. But for some reason, being attacked by the smoke monster hasn't made him want to run; he's just moving on to his secondary protocol. This causes Captain Gault, who is watching his ship fall apart, to mutiny. He helps Sayid and Desmond begin a plan to get everybody off the island. Then he tries to attack Keamy and tell him that this is too dangerous. But Widmore must be paying him a huge sum, because all he does is start killing people again, first the doctor, and throwing him overboard (and no, I still haven't figured out how he managed to show up on the beach yesterday), and then by shooting Gault. Frank clearly wants to rebel, but he's clearly no longer a willing participant, and he does his best to try and save the people on the island. (He would have been a bigger hero if he crashed the plane into the ocean, but maybe he knew there was still something he could do.) Keamy is going to kill everyone on this island, just as Ben prophesized --- unless they can do what Christian said and--- wait for it--- "move the island." Yeah, I thought it was lunacy, too, but given everything we've seen on the show so far, it doesn't sound that crazy, even then.

As any episodes that focus on Locke and Ben are, this was one of the high points of the season. Considering that a lot of the information we later learned was red herrings is what keeps me from ranking among the best ever. Still, the fine work of even a muted Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn's usual fine work makes this well worth watching. Locke probably was chosen, just as this episode says, but he kept denying his destiny. But if he'd known what being chosen truly meant, he might have thought twice about what he was being made to do.
    Score:9.2
  • good episode...

This was a pretty good episode - not amazing, but still good. Locke is going off trying to find the cabin while the freighter army people are going back to the island to kill everyone...interesting. I was sad that the caption was shot, well, not really, I just liked his voice...I liked how Desmond stayed on the freighter and Sayid left - it makes more story lines and it makes it more intersting when they're on their own. I loved the whole part with Jacob, well, it wasn't even Jacob. I guess I got really confused when I saw Claire with him, even though he's her father, it was just...odd that he would give up her baby that easily. I'm very intersting in seeing what he'll bring to the story, other than being the father of Jack and Claire. I liked the flashbacks; very interesting. Overall, good episode.
  • This is what I've been waiting for! Gimme more Locke!

The more insight I am given into the character of John Locke, the more intriguing he becomes. Here we get to see that even as a small child, he seemed to possess a unique insight into metaphysical and spiritual matters. In addition, the "island conspirators" have been paying attention to John throughout his life and his personal difficulties. Did the "island forces" put him through a number of hardships for the purpose of developing his spiritual awareness? It seems likely, but I've learned to take nothing for granted with this show and that my assumptions can lead to completely incorrect conclusions. I'm just thinking out loud here.
  • I should have reviewed this earlier- fantastic

this episode has not a flash-forward which has been regarded as typically season 4, but a flash back for our favourite rambo wanna-be John Locke. Her we witness his birth to Emily (his mom) we find out that his dad is twice her age???(can it really be Cooper then???) and that when he is roughly 7 or 8, Richard comes to visit him with a number of items asking him "which one belongs to you?" other revealing notes are that Aboddon is the man that tells him to go on the "walkabout" and that Keamey is on his way back tot he island with frank to wreck havok.
  • How Do I Save The Island?

Really good epsiode overall I thought, with the first couple of flashbacks leaving a little more to be desired. I liked the episode much better upon rewatch when the first couple of flashes didnt take me to 10:20. I enjoyed the dream sequence a lot with Locke and Horrace and I have missed the dreams like those that Locke has had over the years. This one was certainly interesting, with the dream seeming to repeat on a loop (I think it was 3-4 times that it did this). Im not sure what it all means yet, but if we see Horrace again maybe we can get some more background information. Ben was great in this episode as well and it seems to me that the guy just works well with everyone on the show. The scene at the very end of the episode with Hurley and Ben was amazing and I would have LOVED if it had cut to LOST right after Locke asked the question that he had come there to ask.

Speaking of which, certainly a very odd and strange journey Locke and Ben are about to undertake in. They need to move the island, whatever that means. Move it to a different time, maybe? A lot of time has passed between where we are now on the island and where we are now in the flash-forwards (Sun just gave birth meaning 7 months ahead?) I dont know if the writers plan to fill in those gaps or if this moving the island adventure will jump them forward in time. Also to mention is that Keamy seems to all ready be on-island, so moving the island is only half of their problems.

Lockes flashback was certainly interesting, in two scenes anyway. The first two scenes were only highlighted by the return of Richard Alpert, who has been following John much longer then we thought. The scene with the items that John must choose was very interesting and should provide much to debate about around the forums. The best idea I have read to this point has been the thought of reincarnation - "No, John. Which of these items ALL READY belong to you?" Is Locke the next Jacob, is that what Richard was looking for.

The scene with Matthew was also a great one. The last line of that scene sets up a Abbadon + Locke reunion sometime in the future. Im not sure how I feel right now about Matthew telling Locke to go on his Walkabout, but it will do for now until we get a little more information. Overall, the flashbacks get a grade of a B, only because the other three were so plain and "whatever" quality.

Cabin scene was amazing. I knew Claire was going to the Cabin with Christain and something has happened to her. I have no idea what is going on with Claire but Im happy to see her vault into the main storyline for a chance. Aaron is now with Sawyer, who will soon transfer to a member of the Oceanic Six. Hurley also needs to get in gear, but a sense another Locke / Rest of the group showdown coming soon so we will see what happens with that. Jack wants to go after the plane, but Sayid should show up just at the right time to warn them of the upcoming danger and the war will begin in the next epsiode. Overall, very solid episode which due to the flashbacks finishes right there in the middle of the season.

Season Four Rankings

The Shape of Things to Come (10+)
    The Constant (10+)
    The Beginning of the End (10.0)
    The Economist (9.5)
    Meet Kevin Johnson (9.4)
    Cabin Fever (9.4)
    Something Nice Back Home (9.4)
    Confirmed Dead (9.3)
    Eggtown (9.2)
    The Other Woman (9.0)
    Ji Yeon (8.6) Season Four Average --> 9.44 (.01 behind 24 Season Five for the best season of all time, for me)
< 1 2