Lost

Cabin Fever

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 08, 2008 on ABC

• Another strong entry for the fourth season!

Right from the beginning, it was clear that this episode would be a stunning chunk of mythology, adding to the recent revelations and placing them in a more confusing (yet more intriguing) context. The nature of time and space has once again come under question, at least in terms of the island, and some of the speculation from previous reviews appears to be right on track.

Perhaps the most interesting development in this episode is the apparent confirmation of Locke's destiny. As a character, Locke has never questioned that his arrival on the island had a purpose. It was the kind of assumption that becomes easily absorbed by the audience, something of a shorthand for the character himself. It's not so much that the audience must believe in Locke's destiny, only that he himself believes wholeheartedly that he has one.

This episode turns that assumption on its head. Locke may have been delusional, but he was, in fact, "chosen". In this case, something inherent to John Locke caught Richard Alpert's attention before he was even born. This would imply (along with the unusual space-time properties of the island) that he was known to have potential for leadership of the Others. Yet, despite the fact that Richard and the Others attempt to bring him into the fold throughout his life, Locke continually makes the wrong choices.

Even so, Locke came to be on the island, and the process of getting there might have made the difference. Locke was the first to see the "smoke monster", early in the first season, and he survived without incident. Since that moment, his success on the island has been tied to his faith in his destiny and his purpose as the "shaman priest" among the survivors. That now ties into his apparent status as Chosen One, the new liaison between the physical world of the Others and the apparent spiritual or non-corporeal world of Jacob and his amazing friends.

It now seems clear that Jacob is not the one taking on the forms of those passed, but that the connection to Jacob is very strong. The previous episode seemed to show, through the character of Miles, that the whispers surrounding the Others are connected to the dead. The apparitions have been connected to Jacob, but also to the "smoke monster". There is an underlying rationale to all of it, and it is likely connected to the properties of the island.

An early theory for the activity on the island was that a non-corporeal intelligence was looking for a way to regain corporeal form. That turned out to be incorrect (as most early theories were), but the intersection between corporeal and non-corporeal on the island is clear. What if the souls of the dead on the island are "trapped" there, acting in some gestalt form as the "smoke monster"? Alternatively, the "smoke monster" could be something designed to allow the gestalt intelligences to act on the physical plane. Jacob, then, would be something of an interface, with the Chosen One as the voice of the dead, who combined comprise the "will of the island".

This idea is meaningful because non-corporeality, in conjunction with the space-time warping properties of the electromagnetic anomaly, could explain much of the rest of the seemingly paranormal phenomena encountered. If the anomaly heals, then it also would preserve…unless the non-corporeal beings on the island intercede. And it would appear that longevity lasts far beyond the island, once granted.

It might also explain the truth about the crash of Oceanic 815. What if neither Ben nor Widmore brought the plane down on the island? What if neither of them contrived to have the plane so far off course? What if it was Jacob and his kind, purposefully bringing the right people to the island, ensuring that particular individuals survived? (A question, in fact, that has been asked sporadically by characters on the show, though not in the same terms.)

If so, then perhaps this episode begins to suggest the timeline of events on the island. Assuming, once again, that Charles Widmore was the leader of the Others up to (and perhaps including) the arrival of the Dharma Initiative, it leads to the following speculation. What if Jacob was not pleased with Widmore for quite some time? Perhaps Widmore had a right-hand man, someone like Matthew Abbadon. Perhaps Richard was tasked by Jacob to find a replacement.

Maybe Richard had reason, based on certain signs and portents, to believe that Locke was the right man for the job. Richard tried many times to bring Locke into the fold, as a child and as a teen. But clearly, Locke's own issues stood in the way. Around the same time, Dharma might have come to the island, perhaps based on a decision by Widmore himself. This could have been the final straw, forcing Widmore's ouster (as well as Abbadon's "walkabout") and the need for a replacement.

With Locke out of the running (at least, at the time), could Jacob have led Richard to Ben, a young man with very similar circumstances of birth? Could the signs and portents have been "close enough"? In the meantime, Widmore and his right-hand-man Abbadon could have learned about Locke, and could have pushed him towards his destiny, knowing that Locke could be the key to restoring their primacy over the Others and the island. Once Locke was on the way (metaphorically and, soon after, literally), Jacob could have decided that the interim leader was no longer necessary, leading to Ben's tumor. This would put the competition between Locke and Ben in an intriguing new light.

This assumes that the non-corporeal elements on the island are represented solely by Jacob. That may not be the case. The non-corporeal entities may, in fact, be in a struggle for control themselves. Jacob may represent one side of the equation, the side populated by Richard and Ben. There may be an opposing force related to Widmore and Abbadon. Jacob's side may simply want to protect the island; the other side may be wanting broader control.

If this speculation is at least close to reality, it may explain why Aaron was so important in the first season, as well as the early use of black/white imagery. Aaron could be more than just the solution to the fertility problem. He could be meant as the next great leader of the population of the island, perhaps even Locke's successor. Claire's presence in his life could be a deciding factor in which side controls Aaron's future, and thus the fate of the island and its secrets.

All of this is subject to much revision, but that is the strength of "Lost" this season. The condensed nature of the storytelling has made every moment important and meaningful to the Big Picture. It's also great to see Claire regain importance to the narrative. There's something disturbing in the sultry, dreamy, knowing look she gives Locke.

The rest of the episode is devoted to servicing the plot, setting the stage for the invasion by Widmore's mercenaries. These events are relatively straightforward, since it's clear that the ball has to get rolling for the finale somehow, but the time-distortion issue is still kept consistent throughout. Keamy is coming across as a bit over the top, but once his ruthlessness was established in "Meet Kevin Johnson", it couldn't be reduced. It is, however, the only true complaint for such a mind-bending episode.
  • An amazing package of everything that makes Lost the best show on TV right now.

So... how'd you like this fine episode?

Last week we took a break from all the WTF and bizarre storylines, and focused on character development. Uhm.. well.. it was truly only a one time thing.

"Cabin Fever" was true to the season's scheme, and we got more plot than character development. However, as I said, that's not an issue. Especially not when a well developed character is in the center.

Let's break this one down in 5 parts.

1. The trek(Ben, Locke, Hugo) - Awesome. The opening was very "Deus Ex Machina" / "?" - like with the creepy and truly bizarre dream sequence. I don't know what to make out of it yet. Horace built Jacob's cabin? But how did it start moving? Or why? Is Horace Jacob? Obviously not. But then who is Jacob, and why is he in Horace's cabin? Why was the dream sequence very similiar to a time loop?(Tree being chopped, then it's back up, Horace repeating same things over and over again). Why did his nose bleed? Time travel? That small scene alone raised more questions than the previous episode. You decide wether that's a good thing or not. I think it's great - it's what Lost is mostly about anyway.

Moving on: the dialouge was fantastic. I really enjoyed the Ben-lines - and his honesty. Hugo was his usual self, providing some good comic relief. And Locke - he seems to be the Chosen One. Ben's comment about him manipulating Hugo - very well put. Locke, the next Ben? The only thing that was a bit weird is Hugo's involvement. He wasn't neccessery afterall,which was a tiny bit disappointing. All considered, the trek was a superb storyline, which I enjoyed more than the trek in "The Man Behind the Curtain".

Score: 9.5

2. The cabin(Ben, Locke, Hugo, Claire, Christian) - Unbelivable! All the build up paid off perfectly well. Very satisfying. I was afraid we wouldn't get enough cabin time - but we did. The episode was extremely well constructed, and the little comic relief in the end was a SUPERB idea. I'll get to that in a bit.

The cabin scene itself -- man, awesome directing by Paul Edwards. Christian manages to be creepy in every scene he's in. And, the lighting has a big part in that. Finally. Finally we had a healthy island-Christian - someone else conversation. It took 4 seasons, but it was worth it. He confirmed that he isn't Jacob - so who is? Let's go back to 4x1 - "The Beginning of the End". We clearly saw Christian in the chair, but then someone else popped up at the window. I think he was Jacob. But who that guy is, good question. I always had an impression it was Desmond, and I still do, but I can't really back that theory up(apart from that Desmond's heavily involved with the time travelling aspect of the show and the eye in 4x1 was similiar to his).

Anyway - the best part of the cabin scene was still, the part where Locke meets Claire. What happened to her? Is she even alive?(Maybe she died in the explosion?)Or is she drugged? But you know, let's say she's perfectly healthy and is not drugged. If that's the case then WOW. What did Christian tell her to change her? She was as freaky as Christian - smiling, hanging out in the cabin, not caring a bout Aaron - The writers did the right thing giving her this major storyline.

And then, the comic relief I was talking about: Hugo sharing a chocolate bar with Ben.My jaw was on the floor, then quickly switch to them - I started laughing. Very well done! Am I missing something? Oh yes. The final line. "He [Jacob] wants us to move the island". WHAT? That is the best punchline of the season, beating out "I have a man on their boat". I immediately thought that moving the island means moving it in time, not physically. Interesting stuff.

Score: 10

3. The Freighter(Freighties, Sayid, Desmond, Michael) - The best freighter storyline yet! Keamy is an awesome villain. I'm so glad they didn't kill him(yet). The captain - awesome too. Well, was. In 4x5 we were given an impression that he was this really cruel and unforgiving figure, but it turns out, he's not. I'm sad he was offed, but that was the only way to go, honestly. Now, to me, the best freighter moment was the scene where Keamy tries to shoot Michael. Awesome use of the Michael can't die plot element. Another goldie - Keamy killing Doc Ray. I didn't see it coming, even though we knew it was going to happen...

Did anyone notice that the backup plan had a Dharma logo on it? I wonder what that means. Anyway. Sayid goes back to the island without Desmond - I was a bit disappointed. In Desmond. I understand his motives, but he's being really selfish.

Score: 10

4. The Beach - 3 long minutes only, but I thought it's worth a mention. Frank drops off a satphone to help the survivors locate the choppers. Now we know what the finale is going to be about. Another trek to another end of the island! Not surprised. Season1,2,3 all had this. But no, it's not a bad thing. It's great. Especially because it made Frank even more awesome(and he was superawesome to start with!). If it's not Ben who gets to kill Keamy, I want him to do it.

Score: None(bonus points rewarded, however)

5. The Flashback - We've seen many Locke flashbacks. But this one... was really different. Mainly because it was so different. It was like learning about a new character. It's hard to make out any sense of the flashback, for now anyway. But it was interesting and exciting nonetheless. Key moments: Richard visiting the hospital, Richard "testing" Locke, Teenage Locke an expert in science, Abbadon escorting wheelchairLocke. Interesting fact: Locke's mother is called Emily. Ben's mother is Emily too. Just a funny coincidence? All in all, superb flashback, but somewhat messy. Obviously, that was the point. Once we understand what are the motives of Richard and/or Abbadon, this whole flashback will make much more sense. But this way - it was just a 15 minute dose of WTF, which is great, but it can be frustrating for some.

Score: 9.0

General thoughts:

This was a very well put together episode, with no real issues. The flashback could've been a bit more fluent, but it's connection with the island story made up for that. And the island plot - almost flawless.

The writing was perfect. Maybe Ben's fickle b*tch line was a bit corny, but it was funny anyway. Interestingly, one of the writers of this episode(Kyle Pennington) haven't done anything before this episode of Lost, only a mini movie. I wonder how he got in. The other writer, Elizabeth Sarnoff is known for her random performances - her work is either a hit or miss. Hit this time.

Also, the music: this episode had the best score of the season so far, I thought. The beginning of the episode, Locke approaching the cabin, Sayid leaving on the boat(reused theme from S3 finale) - they really made the episode more memorable.

Final verdict:

After all this "oh my god. This.. and that... and this and that was AWESOME!!!1111" I don't think this will be a surprise:

10.
  • Holy S***!!

Lost can`t stop getting freaking mind blowing can it? :O
    A locke flashback on his childhood, adolescence and part of his adulthood. Very interesting things were of course Richards (the guy just don`t get old) and that black guy who I`m sure Locke will indeed meet again. Pretty interesting to see Locke draw the black smoke monster when he was a kid, looks like he is indeed the chosen one.

The most thrilling thing of the episode was most definitely the cabin. Certainly something the audience was dying for since Jacob`s first appearance last season. We did not get to see Jacob himself but Christian who spoke on his behalf. I think Jacob is actually some kind of spirit that just takes form of dead people. Actually, I saw the Christian Shepard thing coming as I always firmly believe that there was a relationship between Jacob and Christian. But the big OMFG moment in the cabin was the fact that Claire was in there!! Hell, is she dead???????? Looks fine and not upset at all. Mind blowing stuff. And of course the whole thing just end with a hugeee bang, the quote of the year "We have to move The Island"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    F*** YEAH!!
    Of course there were the boat scenes as things gets more and more intense! Keamy (reminds me of Rambo Lol) is getting crazy as Sayid heads back to the island with a boat. Would love some fight between Sayid and Keamy!
    One of the most interesting thing of the episode was the Doc`s death...looks like time just don`t pass the same on the island...but yet another genius strike.
    On the beach, Frank sends a phone to the Losties. Jack thinks that it is to follow him but is it?
    Bring on the next one!!
  • 'The Island wanted me to get sick, and you to get well. My time is over John '

You know, I haven't written a Lost-review since Season 1.

I promised myself not to write one until the show ends. But I had to. I loved this episode. My favorite since Season 3's 'The Man Behind The Curtain'.

Oh, where to begin?
    Let's do the Flashbacks. I loved the teaser. Locke's mom, Emily. Back in the 60's? She got hit by a car when she was Six Months pregnant. After Locke was born, she didn't want him anymore and gave him away. I loved how creepy-Richard was watching over him.
    Yeah, Richard, one of the highlights. We hadn't seen him since Season 3's finale. And it was SO good to see him again. I love that guy... so much mystery. Just like with Rousseau. I also enjoyed the flashback with Abaddon. Who else thought he was going to throw Cripple-Locke off the stairs? That guy is really creeepy. On the Island in the Freighter, there's a lot of drama going on. it was before Keamy left to go to the Island. They had Michael chained and tortured. I'm surprised with how much i'm liking this new version of Michael. What else happened? To summary things short. Sayid left the Freighter to go to the Island. And Keamy was the one who cut Doc Ray's throat and shot the Captain. Yeah, my least favorite part of the episode. I don't see why the writers introduced SO many Freighters just to kill them off. It seemed very unnecessary. I can understand Nadia. But why George? Regina? Ray? and most of all, Captain Gualt. That guy had so much to give. I mean, his last episode was Meet Kevin Johnson, when Sayid gave Michael up. It ended with that cliff hanger. Three episodes later, Michael is chained up and Gualt gets shot and killed? I feel cheated somehow. Enough rambling. I still looved the episode. And most of it was because of the Island stuff. Locke had a dream including Horace, who told him to find his body. Which had a map. It was about time the writers made him reappear. I loved all the Ben-scenes. He's been such a strong character this season. I felt bad for him, really. My favorite scene was when Locke entered the Cabin and found Christian and... shockingly, CLAIRE. She didn't seem to care about her baby. A lot of people think she's dead, but I doubt it. I think she just knows everything now, the importance of the Island etc. And she thinks that giving up her baby is probably the best thing to do.... or, she is in fact dead. I guess we'll see.

Amazing episode. really. loved it.
  • This "adjustment" season has been weird, from great episodes (The constant), to all action episodes, to episodes you want to erase from your memory (Eggtown), Lost's soul felt somehow "Lost", but with Cabin Fever my faith is back! AMAZING!

*May contain spoilers*

I just want to say I loved this episode; I barely blinked during its 42 minutes. For us who love connections, mystery, mythology, old school Lost and John Locke, this episode was perfect. It's the right set up for the season finale.

A traditional jungle journey, a revealing flashback (Welcome back Richard! Why was John's grandma so freaked out with Richard's presence?) , and intriguing Mathew Abbadon (Is he going to be set up as Jacob? Maybe not…), a scary treat from the freighter folks (Why didn't Des go with Sayid???? What's next for him on that unfriendly freighter!!!) Claire possibly dead! I love that part hehehe… I'm sorry, I've never been Claire's fan, but I like her better in this evilish ghostish way… Hello Christian Sheppard! And John's final order "We have to move the island" WHAT?! Where or even better, HOW???

Really nice episode, and I hope the three hour finale stands by this standards… this is the Lost we (Or at least I) love!
  • OH WOW

To say that we knew little about Locke before last week is an understatement. But, WOW, how much more we know now. It still feels like we have only scratched the surface of this man called Locke. I am beginning to think that my theories of Locke being the lynchpin character are right. So many things in this episode point to him as being the most significant piece of the puzzle. I was totally creeped out by the black smoke monster picture that Locke drew as a little boy. It really fed into the feel that the island is a destiny that is inescapable. Because although John wasn't able to go the special school as a boy, he ended up where he would have been taken. I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time. The ending with Christian and Claire has me chomping at the bit for this week's episode. I can't WAIT to find out what that was all about!
  • Back to season 3 standards. Fantastic.

This is the episode I have been hoping for all season. Having waited over 9 months after the fantastic season finale of season 3, I've been pretty disappointed with season 4. We've had the flawless The Constant and the exciting Shape of Things to Come but other than that we've had some pretty limp, slow episodes, most demonstrated by the dreadfully disappointing Meet Kevin Johnson. THIS episode is what I've been waiting for. Classic flash backs, island based references to flashbacks, island mysteries touched upon, Richard being back, Jacob, night time! Fantastic stuff and I just hope they keep it up for the 3 episode finale. Can't wait but please don't let us wait so long between the end and the start of season 5...
  • I have to go back.......and watch this again.

This awesome Lost installment has it all with hidden clues, mysterious visits, a few tests of faith, some deaths and a long awaited return to a certain cabin... Locke, Ben and Hurley set out to find Jacob's bachelor pad and Locke is given startling information on what he must do to protect the island from the freighterinos. Meanwhile on the freighter, things are getting tense as the mercenaries embark to commence the island bloodbath even if they must torture and murder to make it happen. This episode is clearly split in two; the laughs and mysteries being in the Locke, Ben, Hurley half with the action and suspense located on the freighter. The thing that doesn't belong are Locke's flashbacks which really don't seem to contain any of the above elements that would make it memorable even though Richard's un - aging ability raises a few eyebrows.

If anything, this episode is an elaborate drum roll to the epic finale which comes next and believe me, once you've seen the ending, next week can't come soon enough.

With this episode we say an abrupt "goodbye" to Dr. Ray and Captain Gault who are both killed by a visibly cold - blooded Keamy. Despite having the acting range of a tree; Keamy is the most evil character seen on Lost ever and we can't help but pray for the island inhabitants since he is leading the team who are en route to the island with the motivation to kill.

We also say two surprised "hellos" to Horace Goodspeed and Michael Abaddon, these two shady personalities are seen by Locke that offer advice to him but also raises questions.

I must express my disappointment surrounding Locke, Terry O'Quinn won a well - deserved Emmy for blowing us away last season but here he just seems asleep and hits all the obvious buttons. If my review makes little sense to the Lost rookies it reflects the actual show that has passed the setup point and is getting into the meat of the good-versus-evil battle and the voyage to find a way home, only time will provide the answers and outcomes.
  • =]

Locke becomes enlightened after learning the whereabouts of Jacob's cabin, and life aboard the freighter becomes perilous. In flashbacks, young Locke meets Richard Alpert and after being paralyzed, he encounters Matthew Abaddon. One of my favourite Locke episode. I have to say I don't really like Locke's episodes the best but this episode was amazing. I loved it. If his episode are always going to be something like this, then bring them on..! It was that good! I loved the scenes on the island too. I can't wait to find out who the black guy is though. Bring on next weeks episode..!
  • John Locke the miracle bastard baby and night of the living dead.

I loved this episode. So many questions, so many questions! Just for once I'd like more answers than questions but what are ya gonna do?

Apparently the island has been trying to recruit John (the world's oldest-looking 48-year-old, or am I doing the math wrong?) since the 1950s, possibly even fathering him by a mysterious man in his 30s (twice the age of the mother who was apparently a teen ager around 1956). I think this will be important but I can't predict how right now. The test Richard gives him is the same test they use for finding the new Dalai Lama. They show a child items the old Dalai lama owned (with other items thrown in) and see if the child picks the right ones. Why Locke botched the test (intentionally or because he's not the one) is still up in the air.

The island is operating in the future. That's how the doctor washed up on shore before he died. But wait! Didn't a missile fired from the boat arrive after it the boat showed it landing? That would indicate that the island was operating in the past. Which is it? Maybe it's both. When Locke reports they are supposed to move the island I suspect that will be in the 4th dimension (time) rather in the other three. But we'll see, won't we...

Keamy sure goes the extra mile in his mission. Why? The other freighties seem pretty much ready to say "I didn't sign up for this," when the going gets tough. Not Keamy though. Pretty much like it's personal. There must be a story there. But maybe he just has a better work ethic than his fellow employees.

Oh, the living dead. Is Claire among them? She sure wasn't herself. As someone who would do anything to protect her baby she sure gave him up lickety split. Does not compute. Let's talk about Ben. Do I think that he's really all that resigned to the fact that the island hasn't picked him anymore so he's just gonna slip away into the background. Oh Heck No! He's playing Locke like a fiddle, as per usual. And now that I'm thinking about it, if Locke had been the chosen one going right back to his premee birth, why wasn't he on the list when they dragged survivors off into the woods on the first few episodes? Seems like he would have been. For that reason I feel like they are adding a story line that they didn't start with. Things get messy when that happens. Remember the X-Files. It went nowhere. What a mess.
  • Locke's origins revealed: he is a miracle baby! Of course, he is also gifted, so Richard Alpert must give him a very bizarre test to determine if young Locke is "special". The Losties have trouble coming, Sayid to the rescue. Will Locke be "chosen"?

A very important episode of Lost, and definitely one of the best in the season. Locke's childhood is revealed, and with this come several revelations. He miraculously survives being 3 months premature and a barrage of infections, gets visited by the ageless Richard Alpert only to be denied, refuses science, and is guided on his journey by Matthew Abbadon (who works for Widmore). This flashback is among the most revealing in regards to the nature of destiny and the time anomalies on the island. Young Locke seems to already know items he will possess in the future, and this worries Richard. Locke could be the one who restores destiny and ends the time paradox created by the island. Could Richard be trying to impede this, or does he believe the route Locke is taking to be unsuccessful? Either way, the flashback gives us a revealing look into the nature of destiny, and the possibilities of time loops and course corrections that were alluded to in the Desmond episodes. Abaddon's presence adds another interesting question to the story, as we are still left guessing motives and wondering who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The action on the freighter added some nice action and suspense that will lead us into the action-packed finales, but the flashback and the action with Locke on the island were the true steak and potatoes of this episode. Speaking of which, Christian Shepard is back! WOW! While we knew Christian had been in the cabin before, this was still a pretty awesome moment. And then, as mentioned last week, there is Claire right along with him. And she seems different now, as if she has been enlightened to the meaning of the Island and now plays a more important role. I personally love Claire, and am glad to see that she will now play a major role in the overall plot. Once again, Michael Emerson is masterful as Ben, who finally seems to have lost control. While in the past Ben has always seemed to have a plan to continue on his quest, the death of Alex has really affected him. His character continues to develop even with limited screen time. So now Locke knows what to do, and he lets us know before the episode ends. This episode really had it all: excellent flashbacks (to different periods of time), character development, revelations, action, dream sequence w/dead character. The writers really jammed a lot into this episode because of the shortened season, and it still managed to be well-paced. My one qualm with this episode was that Jacob was not revealed to us, as I thought he would be due to last week's preview. Chock it up to ABC promotions, but I expected to see Jacob! Anyways, I loved the episode and can't wait to see how things unfold. One things for sure: Locke had better move that island!
  • Good intro, good outro and Darma is back in the picture ! I start rambeling from here ...

spoilers !

I have to say this was a very good episode !
    First of all i have to thank vicqueto for seeing the link between emily beeing ben's and Locks' mother. That is exiting news witch explains why Ben sad that hey where diferent in that kind of tone...I asume diferent fathers but with emily dating a guy 2 times here age that will probably be the same guy. ( and a new secret )

This was a episode with a lot Lock and new or long-time-not-seen faces. Personaly i thought that went a little to fast because i have problems remembering all that. But this is no complain to the show ! I realy like stuff like that, for example the guy in Lock's dream!

I was almost afraid in the flashback with the black man pushing Lock's weelchair that he woud be jacob or something. That woud have been cheap and they didn't do that ( thanks! ) So he will be in the finale to make things extra hard for Lock ( i woud think because he ows him one apearently ) In other flashbacks emily is running out on baby-john and when the guy comes again when he is like 5 orso there is no sight of emily.Still, he has an older sister and younger brother ( baby-ben or is that stratching it? And from who is that baby-boy? From emily or her mother? )

2 things i likes about the ending.
    1st is that we see claire back and she has been ... let's say enlichted (typo,i know) and seems so happy maybee knowing that her boy will be in jacks good parenting hands??

2nd thing is ofcourse the last line. "he want us to move the island" I won't go wilt on this one but all i'm thinking is .. whell how the hell is sweet Sayid and his little boat going the get to the island if they move the damned thing :)
    Maybee some hardcore-adiceted-fan has a headcount of the people in the future-flashed and count if they can fit in that little boat of his?

Is it just me or is it just my feeling that the writers are now realy back in the series? It sure feels this way and Lost is fully back in the game !
  • The stakes keep going up as a phenomenal season heads towards its climax.

Locke hasn't had much to do character wise this season. The writers clearly want to keep what happened to those still on the island a secret so most of the cast, whose back stories have been explored well enough, didn't get much in the way of centric episodes (it's odd this season didn't do a Sawyer episode). This episode is the closest this season's gotten to a traditional flashback episode. Locke's role on the island is about to become very important. He's been claimed as the new leader and protector of the island and as the episode ends, the enemy has touched down on its soil. So it's a good choice to explain how Locke got there, which goes back to beyond his birth.

This episode serves as a worthy companion piece to "The Man Behind the Curtain" in many ways. It revisits several settings and elements like the cabin, the mass grave, Jacob and Horace's Sisyphus-esque cameo. They both deal with how the respective character gained control as protector of the island, including premature birth around the same stage in the pregnancy, losing a mother named Emily (albeit in different ways) and encounters with Richard Alpert involving some element of island mythology they wouldn't know otherwise, in Locke's case his picture with a man in peril an a pillar of smoke. Some suspect that Locke's flashbacks at 5 and 16 coincide with Ben's birth and arrival on the island. The flashbacks also feature another actor playing the character at greater length than other episodes, where it'll be relegated to the prologue or first act. Highlighting the similarities fits this episode, as Locke begins to have some sort of respect for Ben.

In the "Meet Kevin Johnson" review, I remarked how the island keeping people alive wasn't that far fetched an idea considering how other characters have been spared from harm by some providence (Michael himself was spared a gunshot to the head this week). This couldn't be more appropriate for Locke. Born three months premature to a mother who just got hit by a car, he warded off illness and grew up otherwise healthy and that doesn't even compute surviving an eight-story fall with only a broken back or a plane crash that should've killed everyone on board.

Following Alex's murder, Ben is showing something we've never seen him show before, resignation. Of course, losing his daughter is a big contributor to this sleepwalking, but the big piece is that he feels his time on the island as its protector is over. It's hard to believe that Ben has become sympathetic to some degree. The moment where Hurley shares his candy bar (which looked like a brand name and not Dharma) comes off as oddly touching. With that, we have to consider his future where he has a renewed resolve in the war between himself and Widmore and what happens between now and the moment he arrives in the Sahara that reinvigorates him.

Horace's remark that he's been dead for twelve years has generated a lot of discussion about contradicting the timeline or even retcon. That statement would place The Purge at 1992, four years after Rousseau arrived on the island. Shortly after she gave birth Alex was taken. So how exactly was Ben a father to Alex for four years if he had to maintain a façade of loyalty to Dharma? It's possible Horace isn't a reliable source of information as he is a vision, but hopefully there will be an explanation in a future Ben episode.

With the cancellation of "Cane", Nestor Carbonell is free to return as Richard Alpert, and he plays an interesting part in this episode. Alpert, who resembles John Hamm from "Mad Men" in this episode, once again shows his lack of aging appearing in young Locke's life after he's born and at five years old. This also has been accused of retcon with Locke not remembering him when he first encountered him on the island last season. Obviously he wouldn't remember him after birth (the flashbacks serving narrative function). As for when he picked the wrong item of the six, would it be realistic for someone to remember what a guy he met for two minutes forty years earlier looked like?

In the DVD commentary for "The Man Behind the Curtain", Damon Lindelof compares Alpert's role in The Others' society to the Panchen Lama, second to the Dalai Lama who finds what they believe is the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama when the old one dies. This is recalled when Alpert asks Locke to pick what item "belongs" to him, which is similar to a well known test to determine the new Lama. If the previous leader(s) did die(d), that adds credence to Locke's flashbacks at 5 and 16 to take place parallel to Ben's birth and arrival on the island. They also reference X-Men with Alpert's description of a school for people who are "extremely special".

It's interesting that The Others' front, Mittelos (in this episode Laboratories), tried to recruit Locke as a teenager. Perhaps Juliet was picked to come to the island for something other than her expertise in fertility.

Then we have Abaddon appear as an orderly at Locke's rehab facility planting the idea of going on a walkabout, the thing that would get him to Sydney and eventually the island. Now it may be that Abaddon and Alpert are their respective opposite. Widmore, suspecting Locke was the heir apparent for the island's throne, sent Abaddon to put the gears in motion that would take him there in hopes that it would give him access Ben would never allow. This may foreshadow his return in the finale.

Christian appearing in the cabin, claiming to speak on Jacob's behalf is one of the trippier moments of the episode. Why Jacob wouldn't appear directly could point towards more manipulation and "the island's conning Locke" theory that was popular in the second season. There had to be something with Jack's father's body not being in the casket when he found it back in the first season and now we're seeing the beginnings of that answer.

Claire, acting a little under the influence, doesn't seem that concerned with Aaron (some have criticized her for not caring more for Charlie this season as well). Assuming she isn't dead, it would be a fair assumption to believe that Christian (Jacob) took Claire to the cabin for safekeeping as the mercenaries prepare to invade the island. Since the cabin doesn't have a fixed location (except when Locke finds that map), it's safe to protect her so she can raise Aaron when the dust settles. However, why is Aaron, under the care of Sawyer and Miles heading back to the beach, "where he's supposed to be"? This may refer to a temporary caretaker and they failed to consider someone else taking him off the island in the battle.

The idea that the island can move has been around for a while, at least as far back as the introduction of Eko's plane. There's no way a Beechcraft 18 could make it from Nigeria to the island. The mobility of the island may explain how the Real Henry Gale's balloon got to the island as well. Moving the island may be through time as well as/instead of space, which adds another layer of complications to the mix.

Jacob's decision that the island needs to be moved could explain how only the Oceanic Six make it off the island, as well as Ben's appearance in the desert wearing a parka with the same Dharma logo on the top secret plans Keamy claims will help them locate Ben. It all ties to what many believe is The Orchid Station. Ben and presumably Widmore know that station is where they need to be to move the island. That place may be cold or the island may move somewhere colder shortly before Ben jumps to the Sahara. The Oceanic Six may be the first six people the Zodiac raft picked up before the island moves, where the castaways can't find it on a second run or as they speed away from the island.

Gault, the captain Michael warned Sayid and Desmond couldn't trust, turns out to be not more than a patsy. Keamy, who has become a formidable antagonist, walks all over Gault and is the only one of the two who had knowledge of the plan to "torch the island". Gault may have been hired simply because he can command a ship.

A lot of emphasis is made on the device strapped to Keamy's arm, so much that he thought that was enough of a deal to get Gault to stand down (or perhaps part of a con to distract Gault long enough to get a gun and kill him). An initial theory is that it's some heart rate monitor, where if it goes too low it'll set off some explosives, likely on the freighter. Whatever it is, it'll likely play a big part in the finale.

One major stupid moment occurs when Gault, who has Keamy at gunpoint, turns away to ask what the device strapped to Keamy's arm is. This is the guy who slit an innocent man's throat and threw his body overboard to prove for point a minute earlier and he's going to look away for a second? This was an ultimate contrivance where they had an otherwise reasonable character do something stupid so the story could reach a certain point.

Desmond staying on the freighter may spell his doom, but it also may be why he isn't one of the Oceanic Six. I'm reluctant to say Keamy's device causes the freighter to explode, as it would be too similar to the raft pack left to die by The Others in "Exodus Part 3". Some suspect in a twist of cruel irony, Penelope finds herself on the island shortly before Locke "moves" the island, reversing the dynamic. It would be interesting because Desmond's cowardice was partially responsible for both. That may be interesting, albeit tough since Sonya Walger has two other shows to juggle.

Obviously the confrontation between the mercenaries and the castaways isn't going to end well. Knowing the future, Jack misreading Frank's warning of the satellite phone as a method to find Keamy rather than avoid him, will likely prove a fatal mistake. That makes Sawyer and/or Sayid's arrival to warn them of their true intention likely to happen too late in the proceedings for Jack and company to do anything about it.

This episode does a good job of giving Locke, who hasn't had as much to do this season, a major spot in the storyline as the showdown between the castaways as a whole and the mercenaries on the freighter draws close. This season has so far hit most of the right marks and the road to the finale is no exception. The tension is high and with only a few people guaranteed safe and major answers on the horizon, it looks like the finale will easily deliver on many of the promises this season has made.
  • Alpeeeeerrrttt!

I KNEW that RICHARD ALPERT was IMPORTANT!

I called it a while ago. I said that Richard was the same age now as when he first met Ben as a child. I said that he is very important to the show and will play a big role. As usual I was right. He was the same age when John was a child too. That was bloody brilliant. I loved that scene. For once a flashback wasn't boring. Too bad he was so critical. Doesn't he realize that John picked the knife because no matter what else he may be, he is still also a kid and the knife draws the attention of a small boy? That scene reminded me of a similar scene from King of the Hill where Bobby picked an object that had belonged to Lama Sanglug. That's what made me realize that Richard was searching for the reincarnation of someone (Hanzo?)

The scene with the doctor was annoying. Didn't he realize that someone was going to kill him? He had fair warning. The time delay seems to have gotten even wider.

The show is really getting crazy now. I can't wait to see how they mess it up in the finale.
  • Destined to protect the island.

Horace is Jacob.
    He came to Locke in a dream.
    He was cutting down trees to build his cabin.

As Locke sifts through the bodies in the mass grave, Hurley says to Ben "I thought you were their leader [of the Dharma Initiative]". Ben replies "Not always"... Scene instantly cuts to Horace's remains.

Horace was the leader of the Dharma Intitiative.
    He ordered the purge to protect the island. Dharma's experimentation had become a threat to the nature of the island.

Oh, and let's not forget... His skeleton's shirt pocket had a map to the location of his cabin... that he was building in Locke's dream. C'mon! Could it be more obvious. He's Jacob.

After Horace found Ben's parents - who had just given birth to Ben - he assumed he had found this chosen one who was destined to protect the island. He brought Ben and his father to the island under this false assumption.

Locke is the real chosen one. He can not die. He survives falling 8 stories. He is healed on the island as Ben becomes sick. He is destined to protect the island. Jacob says "Help Me"... Move the island.

You heard it here first. Horace is jacob. Rock on.
  • A Locke-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that all things considered, I enjoyed this episode, but I didn't like it as much I usually enjoy Lost. Although, Locke is one of my least favorite characters on the show, so I usually don't enjoy his episodes very much. One thing that I did like about this episode were the flashbacks of Locke's life. I thought that they were very interesting, and I liked getting to see flashbacks of Locke's life when he was a kid and when he was a teenager. I do think that this episode did a really good job of leading into the season finale though. In closing, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost, but I still thought that it was pretty well written, pretty well acted and pretty well made from everyone involved in the making of it, and I'm really excited to watch the three part season four finale of Lost again.
  • The ballad of the Penchen Lama

The return of Richard Alpert is only the tip of the iceberg for a most pivotal "Cabin Fever", Locke's ultimate flashback episode, that takes us back to day John was born and survived against all odds not only a premature labor but also an accident that almost costs his mother's life. It's perhaps, this characteristic – that he also shares with Ben Linus – what attracts Richard Alpert's attention who drops by as ageless as ever to perform the most peculiar test a few years later: see John "left" an item that belongs to him among 6 objects that Richard carries with him and if he can recognize what's his then he'll join a "very special school" that by the time it could only be lead by the Dharma Initiative. However John chooses his trade mark knife Alpert is disappointed, the object does not belong to him, a fact that later on is reassured not only his high school teacher trying to pick John's interest in science but also by one Mr. Abaddon who finally introduces him to the idea of the Walkabout that finally lead John to the island.
  • Great episode. (includes spoilers)

After last week's episode, which was far from perfect, I give this episode a full 10! First of all Jack hardly appeared in this episode – which was great, cause I'm kinda getting tired of him. Not that I have anything against him, and I will always like him cause of Party of Five, but still enough is enough. I loved the whole cabin search part of the episode intertwined with flashbacks to John's childhood. Ben's dialogue was brilliant as always and Hurley was entertaining as usual. Big surprise to find Claire in the cabin. I'm betting that she was wounded pretty badly in the explosion and that she actually died, which would explain why her father took her with him. But still, I can't explain that weird smirk she had on her face when John approached her. Weird.

The interaction on board the ship was pretty intense and very interesting (I really hate Keamy). One small mystery was at last solved as we got to see how the creepy Doctor ended up washed on the shore with a slit throat. And once again, we discover that Michael can't die (what a shame, he's really getting on my nerves). I can't believe the Captain was killed. He was actually one of the nicer people aboard the ship and I was hoping we'd see more of him. Can't wait for next week's episode!!!

On a side note, Desmond is my favorite character and has been since he joined the show, but, I have to admit that Frank Lapidus (Jeff Fahey) is slowly taking over that spot with his small but excellent appearances throughout the past episodes. He's just an amazing. I loved the way he tried to refuse to take Keamy on the chopper and how he threw the satellite phone out of the chopper for the survivors. I just hope we get to see more his story and that he doesn't end up like the captain.
  • Many questions are answered...and raised in this Locke-Centric episode.

Wow, this episode really came back after last week-not so much that it was fast paced or terribly exciting, it was incredibly revealing, deep, and set up some major events for the future. This episode succeeded in answering enough questions to keep you satisfied, but left so much open it leaves you wanting more. A fine episode that is definately on par with the rest of the season.

So much happened, I cannot give a full recap, but here are the high points.

Keamy and the mercenaries return to the chopper-we also get to see the full effects of what Smokey can do. Keamy is also throwing his weight around by giving Cpt. Gault orders-he also tries to kill Michael for his betrayal, but his gun jams, I wonder... We also see Keamy being rigged up with what looks to be a heart monitor, he also warns Gault later not to shoot him and he points out the device-my guess is if his heart stops, something goes kaboom. Keamy also orders Lapidus to take him back to the island to finish the job as according to a secondary protocol-Lapidus does not want to, but relents after Keamy murders the doctor (slices the throat, hence last week) and kills Captain Gault. Lapidus attempts to warn the survivors by activating his Satellite phone and throwing it to the survivors.

Happy Birthday Locke! Well, we get to see his birth anyways...seems that he was born premature and managed to fight off plenty of illnesses. He also gained the attention of one Richard Alpert, who visited Locke as an infant, a child, and sent him info on Mittelos while he was in school. Locke is visited by Horace, the dead Dharma mathematician who is building a cabin in the woods, though Horace has been dead for 12 years. He tells Locke that to find the cabin, he has to find him-so Locke and company go to the mass grave and Locke finds a map inside Horace's pocket. They find the cabin again with only Locke going in. There he meets Christian Shepard who claims he can speak on Jacob's behalf-interestingly enough, Claire is there too-in an attempt to preserve her life from the mercenaries. Christian asks Locke why he is there, Locke says because he was chosen, and Christian confirms this. Christian also asks Locke what the most important question is-Locke asks "how do we save the island?" Locke returns to Ben and Hugo who are sharing an Apollo bar, when Ben asks him what they do Locke cryptically answers "He wants us to move the island".

Great episode, many things were answered. There is a definate discrepancy in time as illustrated by the mercenary receiving Daniel's morse code message and the doctor's murder. Christian Shepard is in league with Jacob, very interesting. Moving the island? It's not like they can get a U-Haul out there, which means there is some sort of metaphysical occurance that permits this to happen. This episode is highly indicative of Season 4 and it's high level of quality. It was great to watch and one of the reasons why Lost is such a wonderful show.
  • Finally a Locke episode :)

That was a fantastic episode of Lost, especially if you are like me and are a Locke fanatic. It was awesome to see the beginnings of Locke, from childbirth and onwards. Also it seems from the very get go of his life, Locke was chosen to be the savior of the island. The whole thing with Richard and then the whole meeting after physical therapy with Matthew Abaddon was just so amazing and well written with so much foreshadowing all over it that just made me personally feel like in heaven when watching the episode. Also I am really liking how the thing with the boat is going. I was really expecting that to be a dull point in the show, but to me at least it's quickly becoming the people on the beach who are becoming a real bore to me. Anyway, Lost was fantastic as always and I can't wait for next Thursday :)
  • Let's start moving...

Wow.. I have always enjoyed Locke episodes as he is very unique char - very out of usual standards. His storyline with faith and premonitions - it is just great. And this episode is not below the expectations - if not the best Locke episode, then on the top defenetly.

First the whole cabin thing - it has been haunting around for quite long and it looked like there is room some answers. But I think more than answers we did get more question. First, Claire.. What is she doing? What is her part? And the way she spoke about the baby? It looked like she has made 360* turn to evil, maybe.. why not. Something new for her.

But we did get one answer - Jacob is not Jack's father but still mystery remains. What he does on the island? Did he woke from death when he ended on the island? Anyway, I adore the mystery.

Also, the flashbacks to show more of the Locke's past - there is still so much to know - I liked the task when he had to choose something and he picked the knife. What it all meant? I have no idea... and the man who was on ER and later talked with Locke.. I had seen him before.. anyone have the idea who he was?

And the things on ship.. and the helicopter.. it was just a great episode.
  • I should have reviewed this earlier- fantastic

this episode has not a flash-forward which has been regarded as typically season 4, but a flash back for our favourite rambo wanna-be John Locke. Her we witness his birth to Emily (his mom) we find out that his dad is twice her age???(can it really be Cooper then???) and that when he is roughly 7 or 8, Richard comes to visit him with a number of items asking him "which one belongs to you?" other revealing notes are that Aboddon is the man that tells him to go on the "walkabout" and that Keamey is on his way back tot he island with frank to wreck havok.
  • How Do I Save The Island?

Really good epsiode overall I thought, with the first couple of flashbacks leaving a little more to be desired. I liked the episode much better upon rewatch when the first couple of flashes didnt take me to 10:20. I enjoyed the dream sequence a lot with Locke and Horrace and I have missed the dreams like those that Locke has had over the years. This one was certainly interesting, with the dream seeming to repeat on a loop (I think it was 3-4 times that it did this). Im not sure what it all means yet, but if we see Horrace again maybe we can get some more background information. Ben was great in this episode as well and it seems to me that the guy just works well with everyone on the show. The scene at the very end of the episode with Hurley and Ben was amazing and I would have LOVED if it had cut to LOST right after Locke asked the question that he had come there to ask.

Speaking of which, certainly a very odd and strange journey Locke and Ben are about to undertake in. They need to move the island, whatever that means. Move it to a different time, maybe? A lot of time has passed between where we are now on the island and where we are now in the flash-forwards (Sun just gave birth meaning 7 months ahead?) I dont know if the writers plan to fill in those gaps or if this moving the island adventure will jump them forward in time. Also to mention is that Keamy seems to all ready be on-island, so moving the island is only half of their problems.

Lockes flashback was certainly interesting, in two scenes anyway. The first two scenes were only highlighted by the return of Richard Alpert, who has been following John much longer then we thought. The scene with the items that John must choose was very interesting and should provide much to debate about around the forums. The best idea I have read to this point has been the thought of reincarnation - "No, John. Which of these items ALL READY belong to you?" Is Locke the next Jacob, is that what Richard was looking for.

The scene with Matthew was also a great one. The last line of that scene sets up a Abbadon + Locke reunion sometime in the future. Im not sure how I feel right now about Matthew telling Locke to go on his Walkabout, but it will do for now until we get a little more information. Overall, the flashbacks get a grade of a B, only because the other three were so plain and "whatever" quality.

Cabin scene was amazing. I knew Claire was going to the Cabin with Christain and something has happened to her. I have no idea what is going on with Claire but Im happy to see her vault into the main storyline for a chance. Aaron is now with Sawyer, who will soon transfer to a member of the Oceanic Six. Hurley also needs to get in gear, but a sense another Locke / Rest of the group showdown coming soon so we will see what happens with that. Jack wants to go after the plane, but Sayid should show up just at the right time to warn them of the upcoming danger and the war will begin in the next epsiode. Overall, very solid episode which due to the flashbacks finishes right there in the middle of the season.

Season Four Rankings

The Shape of Things to Come (10+)
    The Constant (10+)
    The Beginning of the End (10.0)
    The Economist (9.5)
    Meet Kevin Johnson (9.4)
    Cabin Fever (9.4)
    Something Nice Back Home (9.4)
    Confirmed Dead (9.3)
    Eggtown (9.2)
    The Other Woman (9.0)
    Ji Yeon (8.6) Season Four Average --> 9.44 (.01 behind 24 Season Five for the best season of all time, for me)
  • Revelations about who Locke was --- or are they?

Considering how exciting the flashbacks of Locke have been in the series, I was understandably excited to hear that we were getting another one in this episode. For the most part, it tells us things we already know about him--- his birth mother abandoned him, he was raised in foster care, he was a loser, he loved backgammon, and he had given up on ever walking again. However, 'Cabin Fever' shows us that even from the beginning of his life, Locke was special--- or was he? Later events will suggest that even now he might have been manipulated, and that manipulation is still going on even on the island.

We see that from the beginning of his life, he defied the odds. Born three months premature, he then fought off a series of illnesses to come out of the incubator. When he was given up for adoption, Richard Alpert was there watching him. Why is not clear yet, but he visits Locke at the age of five, saying that he represents a school for very special children. There, Locke clearly drew a picture of a man being attacked by a pillar of smoke suggesting that somewhere in his DNA, he knew something about the island. Richard then presents Locke with six objects--- a baseball glove, a Book of Laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. He then says to him: "Take the ones that already belong to you." This would seem to be a test for the island. Locke takes the vial of sand, and the compass. Richard seems pretty excited. Locke then leans in, looks at the Book of Laws.--- Alpert looks like he's going to burst--- and then John chooses the knife. Considering how closely Locke is associated with knives (and later events) we would think this is the right choice. (especially cause we've still got no idea what the Book of Laws is) Whatever the reason, Richard turns away, and Locke is left behind.

Question: what is Richard doing in John's past, again appearing ageless. Back in season 4, the popular theory was that he was time traveling to the past exploring for candidates to be the chosen one. However, later evidence suggests that didn't happen. Richard was looking for Locke, but because of events that preceded what happened in this episode. It still doesn't explain why he looks exactly the same in 1956 than he does in 2004 (in fact, it makes it even less comprehensible) It does suggest why Richard may not have thought Locke was special but thought Ben was.

In high school, Locke is still getting stuffed in lockers, and even less popular. Again, he gets an offer from a science camp in Portland (not that different from what Juliet was offered), but Locke refused to give in, even though he's good at science. Locke's repeating of his motto "Don't tell me what I can't do," seems to show just as when he was an adult, Locke never trusted his own instincts. He did what was popular rather than what he was good at. And in the end, all it brought him was more pain.

The most telling flashback takes place in the hospital and involves a man we've seen before--- Matthew Abaddon, now disguised as an orderly. We then see him try to boost Locke's confidence, and plant the seed of the idea of the walkabout in his head. It's still unclear who he's working for, or why he seems so certain to try and put Locke on the path that will lead to the island. There were all sorts of theories about him after this--- one suggesting that, like Richard, he doesn't seem to age. I never bought this theory because a) it's only been, at most, five years between when we see him here, and 'The Beginning of the End', and b) Lance Reddick is such a skilled actor, he could be playing late twenties to early forties and you still wouldn't be sure unless the show told you. (I never could tell how old Cedric Daniels was on The Wire.)

On the island, Locke is still trying to find his way, but he seems to be getting waylaid. He then has a dream of Horace Goodspeed, who tells Locke he's been dead for twelve years, and seems to imply that he was the one to build the cabin that houses Jacob. Again, later evidence would suggest that this is highly unlikely, if only because the Dharma Initiative never seemed to have a clear idea just how special the island was. Otherwise, why would they have been fighting the others. Nevertheless, Locke does find a map in Horace's pocket that does seem to lead to the cabin. However, if this is true, how did Ben find Jacob in the first place? This would seem to be an indication that Jacob hasn't lived in this cabin always (and there's a strong implication he never did)

Eventually, Hurley is the one who finds the cabin, but we're still not sure how. Locke walks in the front door for the first time, but Jacob isn't there--- Christian Shephard is. Now since we saw him here last time we saw the cabin, that's not so strange. But Claire is also in the cabin, and she seems so at peace, the theory that she was dead would seem to hold some merit. Furthermore, rather than answer questions, Christian keeps asking them, finally forcing him to ask the question they need to know Given what we know now, it seems pretty clear that Jacob never asked these questions, especially because Christian is no longer wearing the suit he was buried in. Locke is still being manipulated, and he doesn't know how.

Ben probably could provide some answers, but for the first time since we've known him, he seems more passive than we've ever seen him. Is he upset that he has been usurped by Locke, or (more likely) has the death of Alex has taken all the fight out of him? Something's deflated him, and when he decides not to go into the cabin, it seems that he has nothing left to fight for.

Of course, all of this could be irrelevant based on what's happening on the freighter. What remains of the mercenaries have made it back, and somehow Keamy has survived, and he's is royally ticked. But for some reason, being attacked by the smoke monster hasn't made him want to run; he's just moving on to his secondary protocol. This causes Captain Gault, who is watching his ship fall apart, to mutiny. He helps Sayid and Desmond begin a plan to get everybody off the island. Then he tries to attack Keamy and tell him that this is too dangerous. But Widmore must be paying him a huge sum, because all he does is start killing people again, first the doctor, and throwing him overboard (and no, I still haven't figured out how he managed to show up on the beach yesterday), and then by shooting Gault. Frank clearly wants to rebel, but he's clearly no longer a willing participant, and he does his best to try and save the people on the island. (He would have been a bigger hero if he crashed the plane into the ocean, but maybe he knew there was still something he could do.) Keamy is going to kill everyone on this island, just as Ben prophesized --- unless they can do what Christian said and--- wait for it--- "move the island." Yeah, I thought it was lunacy, too, but given everything we've seen on the show so far, it doesn't sound that crazy, even then.

As any episodes that focus on Locke and Ben are, this was one of the high points of the season. Considering that a lot of the information we later learned was red herrings is what keeps me from ranking among the best ever. Still, the fine work of even a muted Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn's usual fine work makes this well worth watching. Locke probably was chosen, just as this episode says, but he kept denying his destiny. But if he'd known what being chosen truly meant, he might have thought twice about what he was being made to do.
    Score:9.2
  • good episode...

This was a pretty good episode - not amazing, but still good. Locke is going off trying to find the cabin while the freighter army people are going back to the island to kill everyone...interesting. I was sad that the caption was shot, well, not really, I just liked his voice...I liked how Desmond stayed on the freighter and Sayid left - it makes more story lines and it makes it more intersting when they're on their own. I loved the whole part with Jacob, well, it wasn't even Jacob. I guess I got really confused when I saw Claire with him, even though he's her father, it was just...odd that he would give up her baby that easily. I'm very intersting in seeing what he'll bring to the story, other than being the father of Jack and Claire. I liked the flashbacks; very interesting. Overall, good episode.
  • This is what I've been waiting for! Gimme more Locke!

The more insight I am given into the character of John Locke, the more intriguing he becomes. Here we get to see that even as a small child, he seemed to possess a unique insight into metaphysical and spiritual matters. In addition, the "island conspirators" have been paying attention to John throughout his life and his personal difficulties. Did the "island forces" put him through a number of hardships for the purpose of developing his spiritual awareness? It seems likely, but I've learned to take nothing for granted with this show and that my assumptions can lead to completely incorrect conclusions. I'm just thinking out loud here.
  • Another wow episode which continued to increase the anticipation for the season finale.

First in the flasbacks we come to know that John Locke was always some kind of a chosen one. Richard went to see him when he was young.

Meanwhile on the freighter we continued to realise the time difference between the island and the rest of the world. The doctor's throat was slit a day after the losties found him on the beach.

Locke found Jacob's cabin and when he went in it he found Christian Shepard and Claire in it. Claire looked very relaxed in the cabin. Meanwhile Christian told him that to save the island, they had to move the island.

This will make the season finale very interesting to say the least.
  • It just gets better and better!!

"Cabin Fever" is one of the best episodes of the series, I really enjoyed the whole episode there wasn't one bad part to it, the flashback was the weakest part to the episode because I thought the only good parts were Abbadon and Alpert's scenes, oh and the young Locke saying "Don't tell me what I can't do".

The Freighter parts were amazing, I really like the character of Keamey, he is one of those characters you love to hate. Wonder what that devicce was on his arm. Totally didn't expect the captain to get shot. The scene when Sayid was driving back to the island was great, I got goosebumps.

The short beach scene was cool, I actually Found Jack funny for once. Then the helicopter came back WOW!

Well the main story to this episode was Locke, Ben and Hurley trying to find Jacobs cabin, Locke's dream was wierd and spooky as usual. There were some funny lines aswell like the part were Hurley asks what happened to Dharma and John replied "Ben happened" thought it was very funny. Scary scenes were in the actual cabin with Jacks dad and Claire they were both very scary and what was the matter with Claire's eyes? The ending was a shocker and really confusing, How do you move an island?

"Cabin fever" was a excellent episode of Lost which is right up there with the best episodes of this show.
  • more questions without answers

Wow, what can I say?. I have no words to describe this unbelievable episode. Let´s start.

While John, Hurley and Ben are looking for the famous cabin, Said, Desmond and Michael continue in the boat. Something wire is happening here, because they wanna destroy the island, and almost kill Michael. The Pilot, now is realising that he is not with the good guys, and try to help the Jack´s group throwing their a transmisor to follow they. Continuing with John, a the rest, he finally find the cabin, and what is the Big Surprise???? who is in there??? OMG, Claire and Jack´s father.... Amazing!

I love this show, really, really love it, but I have to say, that in this episode I don´t understand a thing.
  • Locke learns his purpose. Kimi takes over as the antagonist. richard and the creepy dude have been following Locke his whole life.

wow. just wow. There were multiple holy sh** moments. This was one of the best episodes this season. They're slowly bringing Locke back to where he was in season 1. I'm psyched for where this is all going. Can't wait for next week.

Also, this episode opens the door to new theories. Why have Richard and Agamamonmamsm chasing Locke since he was young? How important is Locke? Is Locke being manipulated by the island? Who is Jacob? Is Jacob Lock? Is there a reason that JAcob wasn't in the cabin? etc etc etc... Awesome episode. Can't wait till we see what happens when they get off the island.
< 1 2