Lost

Catch-22

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2007 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 4 of 4

• Could have been alot better, but it was ok.

7.3

This episode feels quite entertaining at some points, while at other times, quite dreary.

Starting with a positive aspect, it carrys on desmonds thematic aspect that he is running towards as well as inadvertently running away from something, but at the same time, his flashback story seems somewhat flat and uneventful, the tied in concept of his "brother" catchphrase seems as ludicrase as the explanation for Jacks Tattoo, and at the same time, equally as pointless.

The love triangle rears it's ugly head again with a somewhat seemingly pointlessly time consuming aspect of Kate, Sawyer and Jack, not really doing very much really, this aspect will most likely lead to Judas Juliet in later episodes, but for the time being, utterly uninteresting.

It's not a bad episode, it just feels as if alot of time has been squandered, more time spend on Desmonds back story being matured to something interesting and less on the island would have probably made this episode more enjoyable for me.

There is also a gratuitous flashing of bodies in a sexual manner and a particularly graphic scene involving a character which not might be subtile for younger viewers. (who will watch regardless of the scheduling), this seemed very unlost like.
  • Excellent installment of lost, keep it up

Desmond convinces Hurley, Jin, and Charlie to follow him on a trek through the jungle. Flashbacks reveal more of Desmond's Army career. Meanwhile, a despondent Kate turns to Sawyer after seeing Jack and Juliet together. Super episode of lost, so much is happeneing, so many twists arnd turns but it is all paying off in the end

excellent episode, much is reealed in desomnd flashbacks a bit about charlie aswell, i cant wait to see if desomnds flashes really come true

What will happen now tht kate and saywer are back together.We all know deep down she wants jack

excellent installment, keep it comming.
  • Ahhh Desmond...

I do loves me the Desmond. He's always been one of the more facsinating characters, popping up in people's flashbacks all out of nowhere... He's always struck me as a pivitol character that we've only gotten a few crumbs about here and there. His story structure (unlike other characters who shall remain nameless *cough-nickipaulo-cough*) has been expertly executed, with enough hints to get you curious and enough answers to keep you from throwing the television over the balcony. Tossing the obvious Kate/Jack/Sawyer tension into this episode was a good move rather than wasting a whole hour on that soap opera. Not saying get rid of it, but it's more a back story than front page news - until their love triange once again becomes a pivitol plot point, of course. All in all I gotta say I'm getting happy about the second half of the third season. I've waited the Lost guys out through a rocky couple of months, but they're finally starting to deliver again.
  • Will Desmond sacrifice Charlie for the greater good of the people on the Island? Nah. Oh, and the Sawer/Kate thing is really lame.

Catch-22 was kind of a so-so episode. I never really bought into the idea that Desmond would let Charlie die. However, the flash-back shot of him taking an arrow in the throat was pretty cool.

What really bothered me about this episode is how the Sawer/Kate story took a 180 degree turn. I thought Sawer was upset with Kate because he thought she only slept with him out of sympathy because was going to die. After that turned out to not be the case Sawer started being rude to Kate. Now all of a sudden he’s walking up to her and saying, “Hey, let’s get it on. Please!”. That just doesn’t seem to fit his character.
  • Destmont deathly flashes again

the chapter begins with another possible charlie´s death,

we found new Prop Satellite phone Hawaiian Hula hula Doll
    Back pack
    canteen
    Books: Joseph Heller ARDIL-22 possible for sawyer, another book in a plastic bag Helicopters for Dummy's maybe jaja
    plastic parachute some nylon beacon locater
    helmet
    oxygen mask
    a nice black leather suit

and new girl appears maybe his sister, remember season 2 finale when the big bang alert some scientist that work for penny finally one arrive, Destmont thinks is penny that fell the sky so is thinking to scarifies Charlie in the process but not do it, instead we have to wait another week to now what happen
  • Not as good as "One of Us", but better than "Expose".

Lost has really taken a weird turn with these last few episodes, starting with "The Man From Tallahassee" which was a series calssic, and then Following it up with "Expose" which was pretty much a throw away episode, then following it up with a strong "Left Behind", and then last week's perfect "One of Us". Now we get another Desmond back story, and it's the weakest of his so far, last years season finale was better, and then his flashback/flashforward was better as well. The ending to this episode though was very good, as we get to see how Desmond and Penny met. Also, they need to either kill Charlie, to end that storyline as they've dug themselves into a hole with it. The Kate/Sawyer/Jack/Juliet love square is beginning to get on my nerves a little, I know they're trying to build tension up, but I'm just tired of seeing it. By the way, how did Nessa from Las Vegas find her way to the island?
  • desmond has more visions, so the episode is centered around him.

this show has two main storylines. those revolving around jack, and those not revolving around jack. needless to say that the episode not revolving around jack are subpar to the episodes revolving around him. this episode was a desmond episode, not that bad, but could have been better. my biggest gripe about the show is that when they create one drama or cliffhanger, they start a second one without resolving the first one. according to last weeks ep "one of us." the other were coming to the survivors beach a week after they split with juliette. by my calculations, we just finished the 6th day. since we know it took a day for "the camping party" to get to the parachuters crash site, that means that they probably won't be at the beach when the others come, and that is unexceptable. but that was just rambling about the before and afters of this episode. now it is time to fairly judge this episode by itself. i was very impressed with what was accomplished. new people coming to the island is always fun, and on a show like this it is kind of hard to introduce new characters. the recreation of the sexual tension between kate and jack seems a little cliche, but we should expect no less. basically a well done ep all around. a little specualtion on who the helocopter pilot is. at first i thought it was desmonds first fiance that we met in the flashback, but it is more likely an agent of penny's, and she crashed because you can't fly over that island without crashing. why did she have that picture? i'll assume that penny gave that picture to every search party that she sent out. lets not forget that penny knows that the hatch blew up, we figured that out in the second season finale. since the island is most likely close to wherever desmond was seen last, penny must have been monitering that area for any hint of activity there. hence, when she heard of the explosion (the hatch explosion) she sent out teams with desmonds picture to look for him.
  • The title is also a reference for the sequence of 5 episodes (17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 21th) that well lead us to the season finale (22th).

The title is also a reference for the sequence of 5 episodes (17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 21th) that well lead us to the season finale (22th). It is a nice episode, with a lot of coincidences along the way (like Ms. Hawking in a picture with the "monk that looks like Lock when he was the Millenium guy", the book written in Portuguese, the parachute hanging in a tree like Henry Gale's baloon, and so on ). Also, they are finally setting the stage for revealing what Penny (and her father) has to do with the island - I hope that's the revelation we will 'Catch' on episode 22!
  • Desmond has a new revelation...

Excellent episode!!! I don't know if anyone noticed but near the end when desmond is saying goodbye to his monk boss, they show a framed picture. The old lady jeweler from episode 8 is on it!!!! what does this mean...so interesting. The plot thickens more everytime! She was the one that told desmond to leave penny and she seems to have been in his life since before he even met Penny. This show is excellent it always has new interesting bits to add to the entire storyline and this one is certainly very interesting. I love lost its the best show ever made.
  • Great episode.

While nowhere near the greatness of Desmond's other centric episodes, "Live Together, Die Alone" and "Flashes Before Your Eyes", it was still a great episode. I love episodes like this, where you have to actually think about it. The flashbacks were pretty cool, I love when they get into "destiny & fate" issues. The writing was excellent in this episode. And that's not something I could say about some scenes during the last few episodes. There were some really funny scenes in this episode, I think Jin has made me laugh just as much as Sawyer this season. I think that the parachutist was sent by Penny, thus the reason she knew Desmond's name (that's who she was sent for) and that's how she had the photograph (who knows WHY but that would be HOW). We'll see.

Hurley: No, man... this is a satellite phone. Oh crap, it's busted.
    Charlie: Shocker.
  • Desmond delivers with another episode that raises more questions with multiple conflicts and another great flashback...

Desmond is now easily one of LOST's best characters. In fact, if it weren't for Locke, he'd be my new favorite. Why? Because it seems that every time Desmond gets an episode that is centric around him, it is nothing but awesome. This episode was no exception.

I think that this episode did a great job of mixing the mythology along with the Season 1 type story. You see, the episode had some mythological occurrences (that helicopter, the parachutist, Rousseau's traps) while it also tackled some of the more emotional and character based sides of LOST well. The episode started off with Hurley and Charlie going at it with a fight for which superhero was faster, the Flash or Superman. While they talk, one of Rousseau's traps springs up and kills Charlie with an arrow to his throat. Although shocking, we soon find that it was only another flash of the supernatural Desmond, who may allow Charlie to die this time around. You see, Desmond may actually be willing to sacrifice Charlie since he finds that someone is coming to the island, and after learning that Penny promised that with her money that she'd rescue Desmond if he was ever in danger, Desmond believes that the one he saw in his flashback may be his true love, Penny. Unfortunately, he doesn't let Charlie in on the fact that he saw him die.

The episode is also able to be lighthearted when faced with the death of Charlie, as Hurley, Charlie, and Sawyer all make sure that they get their fair roles in the episode as the story driving comic relief. Sawyer is faced with a heartbroken Kate that uses him to get over Jack and Juliet, who later finds out from Jack what Kate's intentions really were. Jack reveals that he may have just gotten over Kate as he seems to somewhat ignore her, but it's sad to see him misled by a manipulative Juliet. Hurley and Charlie unearth the truth of the girl in the picture with Desmond and Sun tries to learn yet more English as he is tricked in going with Desmond since he thinks it is just a camping trip.

This, along with a great flashback that reveals that Desmond was once a monk that led a life of religion to find meaning in his life, pairs to make an episode that shows that the show, no matter how much bad press it receives, still kicks every other shows @ss. Now, the flashback shows us Desmond's past lover, who he left unexpectedly after he got a message from God that he needed a life of devotion to faith. Unfortunately, when his lover finds out where he's been, Desmond resumes his drinking and is "fired" from his monastic duties. His monk boss tells him that he was not meant to be a monk, but more. This then leads to a confrontation from Penny, who he meets for the first time and falls in love with immediately. The flashback is just so great since it shows the themes of both religion and destiny so well that it makes this flashback one of the better ones we've received this season.

Now, the ending is what people will be truly discussing, as we see a helicopter fall from the sky, leaving a parachutist in the jungle. Desmond believes that this person is Penny, as he finds that in the parachutist's book, Catch-22, is a picture of him and Penny. Unfortunately, he is crushed when he finds that it is some random woman that knows him as she calls "Desmond..." This raises many questions as to how she knows who she is or why she is even there, but it provides a good cliffhanger to even keep casual viewers hooked. All in all, the episode was pretty awesome, although it could've been a little better with maybe a faster pace and another smaller answer given, but I loved it anyways. Great episode!
  • Just an average okay episode for Lost.

Overall, I was not super impressed with this episode. The flashbacks were pretty boring and didn't seem to provide too much to the story. The idea of a helicopter coming to the island was pretty exciting! I am sure whoever that lady was that came to rescue them told others where she was going! Also with the satellite phone, they have batteries on the island, so hopefully they can rig those up so that it gets charged and they can call someone! This episode brings a lot of hope for rescue! I really want to know who that lady is that crashed on the island that knew Desmond!!
  • Review

The episode was decent, nothing amazing but no "Stranger in a Strange Land" or anything. I thought this was one of the weakest Desmond flashbacks, with the only exciting part for me being the end when they were going back and forth of when he first met Penny and the woman hanging from the tree. I think we all knew it a sense that the woman wasn't going to be Penny, but whoever it is does know Desmond so Im sure we will be getting some answers soon. The fact that Desmond ran out on his girlfriend of six years before meeting Penny was interesting, as it showed it wasn't the first time he ran away from someone. I thought the flashbacks started out a bit slow, but really picked up at the end. The island story can be divided into two parts, beach and adventure. The beach stories were good, mainly focusing around Jack and Juliet and Sawyer and Kate. Sawyer learned that Kate essentally only came to him once Jack went to Juliet, which seemed to get on his bad side when he found out. I thought the acting down by MAtthew Fox and Josh Holloway during the table tennis game was really good, showing them intreact while both of them trying there hardest to beat the other one. The adventure part of the story was also good, with Desmond changing what was supposed to happen yet again, saving Charlies life. What reprocussions that caused we dont know yet, but the show ended with a lot of mystery surrounding it and thats always good. One thing I give the producers credit for is the use of Night Scenes and Rain scenes recently. I thought those two things were two of the biggest things missing from season three in the first ten episodes or so and I really enjoyed both those types of scenes in this episode. Solid episode overall, flashback could have been a bit better.
  • Desmond leads Hurley Jin and Charlie on a "camping" trip. The love square continues with Kate,Jack, Sawyer and everyone's favourite spy Juliet.

Another Desmind centric episode equals another fantastic episode with some heart felt scenes and solid acting. Overall for me a great memorable episode that furthers us into the final stretch of the third season. Desmonds sees in his mind Hurley and Jin finding a cable on the beach that leads them to the jungle where Charlie is killed when he steps on one of Rousseau's traps. This all ultimately leading to the arrival of Penny and so Desmond convinces them all to join them but not fully telling them all especially Charlie why they must come. Desmond doesn't want anything to be altered so he can be sure the guest will be arriving. Some very hilarious scenes along the way including Jin's ghost story in korean. Back at the beach Kate sees Juliet and Jack spending more time together so out of jealousy and misery she goes after Sawyer. This was all fine and dandy to me as it didn't take up too much time as served nicely as a filler b plot story for the episode. Also at first I didn't really care for the flashbacks Desmond as a monk? wtf? who cares? but then as it went along I understood the reason for them as it shows how he came to meet Penny and why he struggles with the decision to not sacrifice Charlie. Later on the gang hears a helicopter and then someone eject from it and land. Later they set out to find the mystery person however Desmond alters events and tackles Charlie so he's not hit by the arrow from Rousseau's trap. Charlie confronts Desmond about this and is understandbly upset although in the end Desmond did save him....again so you would think he would be a little more grateful yeesh I hate Charlie i'm ready for him to die. Anyways the gang finally finds the person and gets them down and in probably one of the most heartwrenching scenes for me in Lost Desmond thinks he is reunited after 3 years with Penny only to find a mysterious name who knows his name. Unfortunately I read spoilers I wish i hadn't for this episode cause I knew a new female character was arriving although even if i hadn't it seems to early for it to have been Penny although I really wanted it to be. All in all a very enjoyable episode.
1 2 3 4 >