Lost

Catch-22

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2007 on ABC

• Another triumph for mediocre writing...

"Lost" has lost it all. Most of the third season has been a disaster, the scripts are mostly lost beyond recognition and the amount of unsolved questions getting stacked on top of each other never seem to end. This episode just confirms everything I've written. Again we have to suffer the focus of one of the most damagaging characters to the serie: Desmond. His jargong is riddled with "Brother" and "Man", his acting below freezingpoint and he kills every frame he's in. This venom-presence have now finally made me decide NOT to watch "Lost" anymore. I've Lost hope, I've Lost interest since Lost lost everything that made this something Very Special. The scripts go from bad to worse, the acting suffer and the storylines jump around without ever settling. Flashbacks within flashbacks, all logic cast aside etc - this serie has, from season 2 and on in a escalating tempo, destroyed everything it once was. The original, vibrant, crisp, intelligent, human and mindboggling show from season one is all Lost.

I'm tired of being treated like a jerk by scriptwriters who have no sense of direction or being believable in what they write. This is a weekly abuse of an audience who praised the screen Lost was put on, when it once aired. Now it's just loose ends upon loose ends. There is no mainstory anymore, everything is fillers upon fillers - one show about one charachter, the next about another and the next about yet another and another and another. Since new characters are spread like confetti, there's plenty to go around. We get glimpses, a lot out of context, from Sawyer and the original cast. The mystical forces of the island are now just stupid and impossible to believe. Who cares about the Dharma-thing now, anyway? The story and the mystery have dissolved into a Big nothing. With all the loose ends lying around, it would be easier just to pull the plug on the show right now. Don't feed us any more stupid stories, out of context-events etc. Just finish the damn thing, because this is embaressing. Everything that once worked for the show now works against it. If the original cast thought the show would promote their careers, well: that ship has sailed since season two.

I'm thinking this is a J.J. Abrams-phenomenon. It was EXACTLY the same thing with "Alias", even if that remained a good show for a bit longer. But after a outstanding first season and a very good second season, they went into a boring and confusing third season - where the stories and the actors got worse. Then a fourth season, which no-one could believe in, treating the audience like idiots with plotlines which competed in stupidity. Then the last fifth season, where the show was lost beyond recognition - no-one cared, everyone wanted to go home, everything was so way below average that they pulled the plug on the show and a lot of people didn't even notice that it had gone. What a shame - to have a strong development of a theme just turn into rigor mortis and even more rigor mortis. The same thing with "Lost" and I know I'm not the first one to say it. I have my doubts about Abrams future. The third "Mission impossible" didn't pull it off. His modus operandi of creating something new and fresh which captures an audience for a while, then just dies - about the same time as he decides to move on to another project - it does feel a bit cynical. What if he instead had stayed, put as much effort in season two and three as in the first one? Together with Lindelof and the rest. What we instead are faced with is a monument of bad writing and how to dismantle a beautiful show, that could have been one-in-a-lifetime. Really. Every new episode of "Lost" is another tombstone on the churchyard of this show, where we hope all loose ends soon will be buried. This viewer will suffer no more. Thanks for the first season, guys - you Were great.
  • Overall it was ok.

1.6
    I'm not a fan of Desmond or the Desmond arc at all though. If I didn't see him on the show again, I wouldn't miss him a bit. I like episodes with Charlie in them, and this at least has that, however, I don't want to see Charlie leave the show and I'm starting to think that the writters are getting us used to that idea by showing and hinting to his death again and again.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the look on Jack's face when he finds out that Juliet is nothing but a turncoat and can never be trusted. Hopefully Sawyer will kill her (and him!) soon and both of them will be gone forever.
  • Desmond again is trying to prevent Charlie from dying without altering the future.Kate's jealousy of Julliete's relationship with Jack prompts a romp in the tent with "James"

3.8
    I hated this episode. I thought that the show was really clicking ever since the NikiPaulo episode and then came up with this stinker. I feel every time we go to a Desmond back story it's horrible. I can't stand this character, and I couldn't care less about his past.I have to tell you, every time it's a Desmond friendly episode, I immediately lose interest and find my self channel surfing. I'm not sure why we have so many episodes dedicated to him, and I hate that he has become so important to the show.What a stupid explanation to why he says "Brother" all the time too. And OK we get it, he's a drunken screwup.I think the writers knew that last night's story was uninteresting and wouldn't be able to carry the whole episode since they felt the need to include the KateSawyer romp. Sheesh I thought I was watching FX for a minute there. i just feel it's too late in the season to have such a bad episode especially after the great ones we've had the last month or so. I'm not a huge Charlie fan, but I wish that Desmond's been wrong all along and it's him that's destined to bite the dust."That would be worth watchin' brutha "
  • Desmond has the honor having my most favorite and least favorite episodes of the season.

First of all, I'd like to apologize. I spent the last week going around saying things like "there hasn't been a bad episode in weeks!" and "it's a Desmond episode coming up! It's gonna be GREAT!" Obviously I jinxed myself, because I was throughly bored with last night's show. It actually felt like half a show, like something was missing. I honestly remember very little of anything other than Desmond's trek through the jungle, the consequence of which we already knew. Kate was jealous or something, right? There's a reason I don't watch things like Grey's Anatomy.

And I'm not sure what the flashbacks were supposed to clarify. That now we know why he says "brotha" a lot? I was really tired last night...did I miss something? Why did that guy punch him in the face? And who was the girl at the end? It was revealed in a way that we were supposed to gasp and go "oh my god! It's ----", but I don't know who to fill in the blank with. I assume that she was sent by Penny, or by those two Portuguese guys at the end of last season, so at least that story is moving forward.

In any case, Desmond has the honor having my most favorite and least favorite episodes of the season. HOWEVER, at the risk of extending my curse, I would like to point out that we have some great episodes coming up in the next few weeks, including a Sun and Jin episode next week which, with Sun's impending delivery, proves to be of utmost importance to exploring the Others' mission.

Line of the week:
    Sawyer: (to Jack and Juliet) Hope I'm not interrupting! You two arguing over who's your favorite Other?
  • Errrm....

Lost has been on a roll for me. Basically, up to this point, with the exception of 1-2 slower episodes, every single one managed to score between Above Average and Perfect.

But, this episode, really breaks that roll. Heck, this one comes off as THE lowest rated episode of Season 3 in my books.

I was surprised to see so many Perfect ratings for this.... I think this episode was actually much duller than Stranger in a Strange Land.

One of the main issues i have with this episode is that it was absolutely unneccessery.

First of all, I liked the opening. Desmond seeing Charlie die was cool, as we finally saw it too. And of course, many of us thought it actually is reality ,not a flash. Anyway; it was nice. But from there on... spend 15 minutes on preparing for a trek that we already see happen in the flash?

That was somewhat silly. Because we already knew it would happen. And quite honestly, It's not much of an excitement to see how it happens, it's not like Desmond had to ask Ben to go with him. He only had to ask his friends.

If anything, there were certain... MOMENTS that were good. The boys whistling, Jin telling them ghost stories in korean, Desmond daydreaming of Penny...

Basically this episode is all about wether Desmond should sacrafice Charlie for Penny or not. He understands his vision as this: Charlie dies, Penny arrives on the island.

But... he doesn't let Charlie die, and it's not Penny who comes to the island, but a stranger, who, actually, has a photo of Penny and Desmond. The End.

Where was the excitement? Where was the juice? After this episode, there was nothing to talk about, really. Stranger landed on the island, and that's it.

The flashbacks were... oh god. BORING. These flashbacks were 2 times worse than ANY of Kate's flashbacks , and yes... it was actually worse than "Whatever the Case May Be". Desmond as a monk? Ok. Desmond apologizes to his ex girlfriend? Ok. It's ok... I just don't care. 1. It didn't develop his character.
    2. It was irrevelant.
    3. Sadly, they tried to force a bible story parallel on the island plot which came off totally lame.
    4. Yawn.

The only truly good thing was the Back and forth scenes with Desmond meeting Penny for the first time in the flashback and him removing the helmet of the girl who just landed on the island. And of course, the disappointment on Desmond's face was very similiar to my face expression.

Overall:

Predictable trek from A to B.
  • Desmond toys with the idea of sacrificing Charlie in order to be reunited with his girlfriend, Jealously drives Kate back into Sawyers ever-willing arms, Jack and Juliette continue to bond and Lost begins to slide back, ever slowly, towards the abyss.

Just when we thought things were finally beginning to get moving again, we get this big load of codswallop. Desmond has a vision and the lads all trek off into the jungle, not at all unnerved by Dessie's frantic, desperate attempts to keep them moving all the time and reluctance to tell them anything about what they are supposed to be doing.

I'm hoping for big answers from parachute girl but somehow I doubt we'll get very much in that regard, although we may have a new character on the show, as we are seriously lacking in anyone of the African American persuasion at the moment. They either disappear into the horizon or get smacked up by smoke monsters but never seem to last very long on the island.

This last episode was cack. Just as my faith in the show was beginning to be restored they pull the rug out from under you and give you this drivel. It was an excuse to give us a semi-decent view of Kate in the tent getting dressed and another near death experience for Charlie but is that a real reason for watching the show.

I think the writers have some semblance of an idea of what they are doing and where the story is going but they don't have enough material to stretch over the next hundred seasons or however many seasons they are planning to drag this on for. So they drop us some bait when we seem to be losing interest, reel us back in for the moment and then serve us this tripe for a few weeks until we are dropping off again, then they hit us with something else that seems relevant to the overall story(whatever that is at this stage-I'm not too sure)luring us back again for another few weeks of pointlessness. But for how long will we keep coming back?
  • Necessary Setup???

Objective - » Since Desmond is one of the Main Cast Characters, and the episodes were he was the Main character was so successful, the producers decided to build one more episode about him, since he was impossible to put a episode about him later in the season. So, you have is flashbacks and mission on the Island as the primary focus and the Kate subplot reaction about Jack. Good material or so it seemed.

Flashbacks -» Pure from Boring Kingdom. The beginning can fail to catch your attention. The complication phase is inexistence, the climax is not there and you simple don´t care for an ending.

Event on The Island -» Just wasting your time. The beginning was strong, but then, the complication phase was about Desmond deciding to save Charlie or not. I didn´t Catch the Climax, and the ending does not justify the whole structure of this episode.

Kate Reaction -» Kate subplot was really strange. Her slut reaction to Sawyer was something that does not make sense to me. In the Middle, what was cool was seeing Sawyer reaction, when he learn why Kate did it. Maybe this was the Climax of this subplot, because Sawyer made some minor jokes that is funny anyway.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Silver. Didn´t Noticed but I didn´t care either. The only thing here that is strange is Kate Slut reaction, which is something that does not make any sense to me.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Bad. Showing us what would happen in the beginning of this episode was a bad idea from the writers, since you wait too long for the part you want to see and with the flashbacks, this became very boring.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: The beginning can get you by surprise, this was well done, the ending is a surprise, but not very interesting yet.

4 - Action: None, but wasn´t an episode for this.

5 - Funny: Bronze. The Ghost Story Scene made by Jin. Maybe some comments between Hugo and Charlie.

6 - Drama: .Bronze. Almost Irrelevant. The Scene with his loved one was nice.

7 - Tension/Fear: Weak. Almost inexistent.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Nearly Bronze - . Maybe you want to know what happens with Charlie, but when the episode begins to be boring, it is difficult to care and is impossible to him to die, only if was Charlie flashback in game, like many other character like Ana Lucia, Shannon and Eko maybe this would become true.

Overall, this episode was unnecessary, maybe the ending, but the entire episode is about wasting time and does not have the ability to entertain for too long, only if you are a super fan that rate 10 or 9 to every episode.
  • Continuation of the ridiculous Lost love quadrangle of doom that everyone's had just about enough of already

6.1
    How many times can the writers point out to us that Kate wants to have her cake and eat it too? Throughout all the seasons so far, she's had Jack and Sawyer right where she wants them and her and Sawyer finally acted on their feelings in the latest season, which Jack was aware of. The producers led us to believe 'whoever Kate chooses in the mini-arc will be her definitive choice'. Well, either they've got selective memory issues, or they're taking us for fools with this one. Because guess what? The triangle? Still not over. And there's a new member now, Juliet, making it a love rhombus I guess.

Jack and Juliet would potentially make a great couple. She brings out a side of Jack that is actually endearing, which I never thought I'd say. But that damn Kate keeps getting in the way. Jack impressed me in the scene with Kate; he sort of shrugged her off, pretending to be noticing her flirting but not really acting like he cares either - all I can say is, well done Jack. Kate does stupid things in this episode like licking a spoon before sharing it with Jack, getting jealous of Jack eating dinner with Juliet, and going to Sawyer's tent and making the moves on him - whilst crying. Oh, please. Writers, why bring Kate down to this level? Why keep centering her between Jack and Sawyer like this? She's merely 'the object of the main guy leads' affections' in this show, and the whole thing's just silly and getting really old now.

The Desmond-related scenes were the saving graces of the episode. Yes, the stuff with saving Charlie once again is repetitive, but the episode's climax with the woman parachuting onto the island is well worth watching. I think this should be a lesson to the writers - cut down on the Jack-Kate-Sawyer melodrama, especially if you can't write decent dialogue for them in the romantic sense.
  • Plot: Desmond rallies the boys to go on a camping trip in the hopes of killing Charlie and I suppose if he finds his love on the way that’s cool too, but killing Charlie should take precedence. TV reviews at www.lifereviewed.com

6.3
    Plot: Jack and Juliet get cozy together, forcing Kate to sleep with Sawyer. Not really sure how that worked out, but I don’t hear him complaining. Desmond rallies the boys to go on a camping trip in the hopes of killing Charlie and I suppose if he finds his love on the way that’s cool too, but killing Charlie should take precedence.

I read in Entertainment Weekly, that the writing staff feels that since the slow start of this season, they are being judged on an episode by episode basis. I agree with this assessment and found this episode wanting. I would call it a filler episode, but it doesn’t even merit that. The flashbacks focus on Desmond’s life leading up to his meeting Penne. Normally, flashbacks show us something new about the character or explain some new connection with their fellow castaways. These were just pointless. All we learn is that Desmond is a huge douche, who manages to make up for his cowardly nature with a bad ass accent. After leaving his finance, Ruth without any notice, Desmond joins a cloister of monks. Desmond takes getting cold feet to new heights and could give the runaway bride a run for her money. Ugh, I said run too many times in that last sentence. When Ruth’s brother shows up and punches Desmond in the face for leaving his sister, Desmond turns to his own personal savior; Jesus, as personified by a bottle of expensive wine. The monks tend to frown upon boozing and fighting and decided Desmond needs to go. I guess God has nobler things in mind for him than getting wrecked in the basement of a church.

Visions of a new visitor coming to the island, lead Desmond to believe that Penne is at last coming to find him. Neglecting to tell Charlie about his impending death, he gathers up everyone who was in his vision and heads out into the jungle. This brings up an interesting point; does Desmond really see the future or is he just following a set path from which he could chose to avoid if he wanted to? We already know, much to my chagrin, that he can prevent Charlie’s death, so I wonder how far he can truly manipulate fate. In this particular instance, he had to actively work to get everyone to follow his vision as opposed to the events naturally occurring. In a last minute decision, Desmond decides to spare Charlie’s life and changes fate once again. Instead of finding his lost love, the guys discover an injured pilot. Sadly, she is not a hot chick.

Kate continues to grow jealous watching Jack and Juliet bond together. Instead of talking to Jack or simply accepting the fact that she may have missed her chance with him, Kate acts like a normal girl, and by that I mean she goes crazy. Doesn’t Sawyer have the herp anyways? I wonder if he has condoms in that stash of his.

Parting Thought: I know Desmond has a cool accent and all, but come on Penelope, make the man work for it a little bit at least.
    TV reviews at www.lifereviewed.com
  • Step into the mind of Desmond's horrific visions and have to watch the same man die over and over again....still it's better than having to watch Jack/Kate/Sawyer.

6.6
    I was torn this episode. The Desmond story was good. I was unsure about his "being a monk" backstory but since it was just him cowardly running away again I let it be and enjoyed it. I liked that what seems to be one of Penny's employees found Desmond and arrived on the island (even if she doesn't live) but I didn't love it. I got scared that Charlie would be offed and I realised that I'm not ready yet. Since we're still a-waiting for his own episode I'm nervous that it's coming up. I found repeatedly seeing him die quite horrible and I think they did a good job of making you understand why Desmond was ready to sacrifice Charlie (letting himself believe that Penny herself was coming to justify it).

All of these things and more (particularly Team B aka Team Awesome going out on an exploration and Jin's brilliant campfire story) were pretty good for me.

Kate's story, however, was excruciating. What the hell is going on? I found the whole storyline incredibly soap opera-ish and I really didn't like Kate or Sawyer's behaviour this episode at all. I was never a fan of this love triangle story but it's getting insufferable now IMO. Kate shouldn't've gone with either of them. She's a stronger more interesting character on her own.
  • Desmond is to Penny as Micheal is to Walt. Will do anything are will they? Overallt an okay episode great Humor and puts a whole new spin and speculation for the fans.

6.8
    The Flashback was okay too I mean the whole Desmond being a monk I enjoyed it but did it reveal and thing about his character a bit Hes always looking for somthing better, he believes in Destiney and fate which led him to find Penny Widmore and on the Island Penny Is looking for Desmond are so we think. I loved Jin in this episode he has a striking presence and Daniel is quite hilarious. Charlie has now trusted Desmond but I dont understand why he needed Charlie to die I mean would his death changed the coruse of the future in terms os Desmond finding Penny are somthing worse. I guess we will never no but as for this mysterious person. She is defently hired by Penny I think to find the Island becasue I know think is visibile to the outside world. Overall it was guile averge and a little perdictable but honestly wouldnt it be of a surprise if it was Desmond. The Juliet- Jack- Kate - Sawyer ark continues. You know what they say Love is blind and Jack is blind. Kate however has some issues by making Sawyer her rebound was kinda sketchy yet very good storytelling. This episode was okay and we learned more about Kate then Desmond but I did enjoy it overall and Next week my faveiriote Flashbacks are Sun/Jin so I cant wait not to mention we havnt seen much of Sun.
  • Coming off last week's unbelievable episode, this one paled in comparison.

I usually love the Desmond episodes, but this one was just okay. We got some wonderful moments. I loved the campfire scenes with Jin and Hurley and I loved the fact that Marsha Thomason has now landed on the island. Have I mentioned how much I loved her on Las Vegas?

And how much longer is Desmond going to have to save Charlie? I'm kind of getting sick of this whole thing. Just kill him and get it over with. Yes, I am morbid like that. But seriously, he's dragging the whole group down. I thought for an instant though that Desmond might have gotten hit by the arrow when he threw Charlie to the group. I would not have been able to deal with his death.

For a complete review of the episode, head to my site: http://www.thetvwatcher.com/lost3_17.html

Enjoy.
  • It was a good and solid episode overall.

"Catch-22" is a Desmond-centric episode showing us flashbacks from the time he was a monk to the first time he laid eyes on Penny. On the island, the story is divided into two. One of them was a Desmond story, which includes Charlie, Jin and Hurley. The other story would be focusing on Sawyer, Kate, Jack and Juliet.

The flashback was overall just OK for me. We just find out that Desmond was supposed to be married before he met Penny, and that he fled to a haven because of fear. He also breaks down in that haven, and ends up meeting Penny. Not the better part of the episode. The flashback also had no shockers, and it didn't even play a role on the island. Just a type of flashback that was informative, and not really wowing.

Meanwhile, on the island, Desmond gets flashes of a helicopter crashing, and a survivor from it. He also gets a vision of Charlie being shot. In hopes that the survivor would be Penny, Desmond drags Jin, Hurley and Charlie out for a camping trip to relive the whole vision. When time came, Desmond decided to save Charlie from the arrow, but when he reaches the body of the person who landed, he gets the shock of his life. That story was quite adventurous and fun to watch. The dialogs between the characters were great as well.

Elsewhere on the island, the Kate-Jack-Sawyer-Juliet love square heats up. Kate flirts a little with Jack, giving him the small talk while they run into each other, but when Kate later sees Jack having dinner with Juliet, she gets jealous and seeks comfort with Sawyer. I actually liked that part of the episode since I am a Jate fan. I'm still hoping Jack and Kate end up together. Sawyer was also hilarious as usual. Overall it wasn't a bad episode.
  • Will Desmond sacrifice Charlie for the greater good of the people on the Island? Nah. Oh, and the Sawer/Kate thing is really lame.

Catch-22 was kind of a so-so episode. I never really bought into the idea that Desmond would let Charlie die. However, the flash-back shot of him taking an arrow in the throat was pretty cool.

What really bothered me about this episode is how the Sawer/Kate story took a 180 degree turn. I thought Sawer was upset with Kate because he thought she only slept with him out of sympathy because was going to die. After that turned out to not be the case Sawer started being rude to Kate. Now all of a sudden he’s walking up to her and saying, “Hey, let’s get it on. Please!”. That just doesn’t seem to fit his character.
  • Destmont deathly flashes again

the chapter begins with another possible charlie´s death,

we found new Prop Satellite phone Hawaiian Hula hula Doll
    Back pack
    canteen
    Books: Joseph Heller ARDIL-22 possible for sawyer, another book in a plastic bag Helicopters for Dummy's maybe jaja
    plastic parachute some nylon beacon locater
    helmet
    oxygen mask
    a nice black leather suit

and new girl appears maybe his sister, remember season 2 finale when the big bang alert some scientist that work for penny finally one arrive, Destmont thinks is penny that fell the sky so is thinking to scarifies Charlie in the process but not do it, instead we have to wait another week to now what happen
  • Could have been alot better, but it was ok.

7.3

This episode feels quite entertaining at some points, while at other times, quite dreary.

Starting with a positive aspect, it carrys on desmonds thematic aspect that he is running towards as well as inadvertently running away from something, but at the same time, his flashback story seems somewhat flat and uneventful, the tied in concept of his "brother" catchphrase seems as ludicrase as the explanation for Jacks Tattoo, and at the same time, equally as pointless.

The love triangle rears it's ugly head again with a somewhat seemingly pointlessly time consuming aspect of Kate, Sawyer and Jack, not really doing very much really, this aspect will most likely lead to Judas Juliet in later episodes, but for the time being, utterly uninteresting.

It's not a bad episode, it just feels as if alot of time has been squandered, more time spend on Desmonds back story being matured to something interesting and less on the island would have probably made this episode more enjoyable for me.

There is also a gratuitous flashing of bodies in a sexual manner and a particularly graphic scene involving a character which not might be subtile for younger viewers. (who will watch regardless of the scheduling), this seemed very unlost like.
  • Not what I expected

Well, I thought this episode would reveal more about Desmond's mystic power of seeing the future, not about him and his girlfriend and his ex. Well, too bad that in the end it wasn't Penny landing on the island. If he hadn't saved Charlie, it would have been her!! Now he's stranded on a deserted island with his ex. That's ironic...
    He won't be able to save Charlie forever, so will he die soon? Rumour has it he will... I hope he at least gets with Claire before he does!!

I don't like Desmond's flashes, it adds a new factor to the show that I don't like in it. Of course it's already very mystical, but they could have spared us the psychic thing...
  • Come on.

Maybe I'm missing something but this episode was a real stinker. All of this flashback stuff and going back in time before the first event happens in the episode was just really stupid. There are a few things about lost that just don't change do they. This episode was really just a flashback and some trip through the woods. Anyway nothing really great happened and I knew Charlie wouldn't die, of course not, not in the first 5 minutes.

This new person on the island, I'm not sure what might be the deal with this. I think if any other help comes across the island well it would never work, not with the other people pretty much ruling the whole place.
  • Desmond !!!

7.6
    Boring is one word you might describe this episode but I described it as a small break from the excitement. From the beginning of the third season of Lost I have been sitting on the edge of my seat jumping up and down from the adrenolin rush Lost always gives me so this episode was more of a calm down kind of episode. Nothing much happened. Desmond sees Charlie's death again but he also sees Penny ( the love of his life ) land on the island but Charlie has to die for that to happen so Desmond is torn between sacrificing Charlie or the probability of him not seeing Penny again. The episode was alright. I never expected Lost to sink to a rating lower than eight but these things happen. Favorite character from this episode : Penny !! I liked how she flirted with Desmond in his flashbacks. She has atittitude !! Friends oponions : 1) 3 out 10. 2) 10 out of 10. 3) 9 out of 10. 4) 8 out of 10. 5) 10 out of 10.

Episode spotlight was on : Desmond :) Great stuff
  • This episode shows an interesting item. The picture that was on the desk of the monk who fired Desmond shows the monk with the same woman that told Desmond not to buy his engagement ring and he needed to go to the island.

7.9
    I thought the episode was interesting, but wasn't crucial to the story line, at least not at this time. It's interesting to find out where Desmond learned to call everybody "Brother". I think they should've killed Charlie. I think I would like to know where the "Others" went. I also believe Julia is a good person, she just wants to get off the island and will do whatever it takes to make that happen, even if it means doing Ben's will and infiltrating the beach with the survivors of 815. I wonder if Niki and Paulo have clawed themselves out of the sand yet?
  • A new arrival marks the establishment of the final phase of the season.

Of the loose ends from the season two cliffhanger, two haven't been addressed: Michael and Walt on the boat and the discovery of the island by the Portuguese men. Many speculated how much time would be devoted to this storyline this season, and whether we'd be taken off the island for a long period for Penelope's quest. Since they decided to keep the real-time story island based and that it would take some time to get the available crew to the area, it makes sense that we wouldn't hear a follow up until now. So with that we turn to another Desmond story. It is the least satisfying of the three we've seen so far, but considering the two prior, it's still a solid episode laying the foundation for the conclusion of the season. His flashbacks in this episode served more to deepen our understanding of Desmond and his cowardice than provide major revelations, unless how he came to call everyone "brother" counts.

Desmond, like Locke, is driven by faith and destiny. After a drunken night before his wedding, he met a monk and decided that a life devoted to the church was where he was supposed to be. That decision reflected a deep cowardice towards his relationship with Ruth, who clearly took it hard. Instead of facing the fact that he wasn't in love or ready for marriage, he used fate as a justification for it.

Unlike Locke, Desmond hasn't had the sense of a higher purpose. Desmond feels his life is leading somewhere, but he doesn't know what that is. Anytime he made a mistake in his life, he considered it merely a step towards his destiny. In the flashbacks, his ill advised time in the monastery lead him to the love of his life. While Locke has gone for big signs (finding his missing father, crashing on the island), Desmond is picking up anything that comes by and reading it as a sign of his higher calling.

Ruth's comments about Desmond placing so much importance upon who found him after his stupor offer an ironic foreshadowing. Eventually in the hatch, Desmond was discovered by a Shepard (Jack, albeit a different spelling than the profession). When Desmond contemplated suicide, it was Locke's anguish that pulled him back from the brink. It's never been clear, but it would be interesting to know what Desmond thought about the castaways breaking in to the hatch.

When he was first introduced, there were hints of Desmond's cowardice, as he bolted towards the then unknown "Elizabeth" when the computer malfunctioned. After several more instances, it has become a defining aspect of his character. Now we're given a scenario where Desmond's behavior is in a different light. Desmond believes he has two possible outcomes: reunite with Penny or save Charlie. With the story of Abraham and Isaac on his mind, he's wondering if saving Charlie is ultimately going against the fate he believes in. However, his active way of sparing Charlie could be the first step to his redemption. He's willing to give up something he wanted for the safety of another and not ready to accept things outside of his control.

Desmond's last flashback (so to speak) explained that the weird premonitions he had were flashes of future events, primarily involving Charlie's death. This episode shows what he meant by flashes. It's understandable that these are taking a toll on Desmond, as the random scattered images of events to come would be traumatizing to see played out repeatedly and to have no power over them. Whether he can learn to control this will likely be a major piece of his story.

It also set up the notion of "course correction". While Desmond has the ability to change what will happen in his flashes, this will change the "image". Preventing something bad in one instance could set up for another bad thing later. In this case, it is Charlie's death, which recurs in different ways every time after Desmond saves him. This explains Desmond's mindset, as he is unsure whether saving Charlie will prevent him from his reunion.

Unlike prior confirmed flashes, Desmond had an active role in making the trek in the jungle happen (besides Charlie dying), including bringing people along for the sole reason of them appearing in the flash. Would they have gone had Desmond not gotten the vision? Would they have gone out into the jungle had they stayed on the beach? Could they even hear the helicopter crash into the ocean from their camp? Such circular thinking makes this episode's title especially appropriate.

This brings up many questions about the function of the flashes. It's possible that they are a self-conscious entity and wanted Desmond to go into the jungle to find the parachutist, so they sent him a vision of the future where it happened. Perhaps Ms. Hawking was the manifestation of that, much like The Architect of "The Matrix" films.

Ms. Hawking, whom Desmond encountered in "Flashes" appears briefly in a horribly doctored photo (it's like they just cut them out of other pictures and pasted them together). Is there a difference between that woman and the person Desmond encountered in his first flash or did the entity assume her form? It would be far more compelling them be the same and to have her working with Brother Campbell to guide Desmond to the island, which gives more weight to the popular "recruiter theory".

Much like "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead", we get a bunch of great comic scenes between Hurley, Charlie & Jin. Storytime with Jin was a highlight (I actually saw this episode with a native Korean speaker, who gave the rest of us the gist as to what the story was) and Charlie and Hurley's debate over who would win in a foot race feels like the type of conversation they should be having more often.

The introduction of the parachutist, later named Naomi, is the effective starting point for the conclusion of the season. As Ben prepares for his major attack on the castaways, having a new person thrown in the mix could turn out to be a major problem for him, since he won't be able to gather as much intel as possible about her (it hasn't been mentioned how much The Others know about Desmond).

With the Portugese copy of "Catch-22" and a copy of Desmond's photo, it's a safe assumption that she is among those we saw in the listening station from "Live Together, Die Alone", who were Portugese as well. It obviously took a few weeks for them to assemble and get there as well, so the timeline fits.

Producers had teased of a new, non-flashback, non-castaway, non-Other, character, and she is presumably it. While some, with Nikki and Paolo still fresh in their minds, may roll their eyes at this new arrival, it seems like the logical next step, which has been hinted at in "One of Us". For the first time, we're going to see how the outside world has reacted to Flight 815.

The least compelling of the storylines this week involved Kate's jealousy over Juliet and Jack's bonding. Too much emphasis is placed on which man Kate will choose, and ultimately her character suffers because of it. What would be compelling is to explore this from an alliance point of view. Although she helped Claire, Juliet still isn't on solid ground with everyone and Jack's prolonged absence could seriously affect his leadership status. Or they could've mentioned the consequences of the late night trysts between Kate and Sawyer. As mentioned several times, it's not likely there are a lot of reliable birth control methods on the island (unless they don't want to offend some people by showing Dharma condoms or birth control pills).

Ultimately, this episode does a good job setting up the stage for the final episodes, with certain elements brought back to the front that will become pivotal. More time is given to develop Desmond's flashes, which will likely be a major force in Desmond's story.
  • Overall, this episode is another success for the third season, continuing the recent trend of strong material coming into the final stretch.

While Juliet and Ben have proven to be excellent additions to the cast, another character has been around longer and has been equally impressive. That character, of course, is Desmond. Initially dismissed as a minor addition along with the rest of the Swan Station, Desmond has become critical to the dynamic of the JackLocke tribe, taking on Locke’s visionary status since the beginning of the season.

Desmond represents a substantial contrast to the backlash against new characters on “Lost”. New characters tend to fall into two categories: the embraced and the loathed. Desmond stands with Juliet, Ben, and Eko as characters that have ultimately been accepted by the majority of fans. Others, like Ana Lucia, Nikki, and Paulo, were a constant source of contention.

This is a good thing, because Desmond is clearly connected to larger themes and concepts within the mythology, and without him, the story would be a lot less interesting. If one considers Locke to be aligned spiritually with the island, either in his own mind or in truth, then Desmond appears to be aligned with the undercurrent of unexplained phenomena beyond the island. Desmond’s experiences fall within the same realm as the psychic from “Raised by Another”, for example.

Desmond’s character has a complicated background, yet his psychology is very simple. Despite moments of apparent bravery and dedication, he is crippled by a deep cowardice. He also feels trapped by some vague sense of predestination. He’s constantly searching for meaning in his life, not unlike John Locke. The difference is that Desmond has never really felt that sense of purpose. In his own way, he reflects back on his own regrets through a filter that blinds him to the truth.

Like Juliet, Desmond wants to find a way to a specific individual: Penny. Desmond’s cowardice nearly drove her from his life, but she refused to accept that limitation. The end result was a complicated moment for Desmond. The choice to enter the race around the world was, in and of itself, an act of courage. Yet it was also another expression of his cowardice. In trying to win her father’s respect, Desmond was still running away from Penny.

This episode poses the interesting flip side to that idea. Desmond is, in fact, always running away from something. But as Brother Campbell astutely notes, whenever someone is running away from something, they are inevitably running towards something else. And if one takes predestination into account, both interpretations are part of a larger scheme.

Locke has come to believe that his destination was the island itself (though his interpretations have changed over time). Desmond has come to recognize, on some level, that he was destined to come to the island, but he’s no longer sure that the island is the final step in the journey. Taken in context with the connections to the mythology and the focus of each character, there appears to be a clear transition between Locke’s part of the story and Desmond’s part of the story. (Indeed, one is left wondering if Locke will survive the end of the season, given the signs and portents.)

All of that plays into Desmond’s mindset in this episode. Desmond’s visions present him with a difficult choice. He believes that Penny has come to the island to find him, and that his trek into the jungle will lead him to her. Unfortunately, for that to happen, Charlie must die. For whatever reason, Desmond is compelled to save Charlie from his appointed fate. Thus Desmond is forced to choose between his own happiness and the happiness of another. His choice, from a certain point of view, fits into the overall redemption model.

While the episode itself is relatively straightforward in terms of the concept’s exploration, there are interesting implications. After all, from Desmond’s point of view, he may have changed things enough that the parachutist’s identity changed because he saved Charlie. A more pragmatic interpretation would be that Desmond was making assumptions and that the identity of the new arrival was always the same, but his reaction will be consistent with his psychology.

This would appear to suggest that events can be changed. However, that wasn’t the lesson of “Flashes Before Your Eyes”. In that episode, the rule was “course correction”: minor changes might take place, but in the end, everything happens the way it was meant to happen. In other words, Desmond’s choice to save Charlie wouldn’t prevent Penny from coming to the island or acting to find and save him. It would just change how that process evolves.

That idea is subtly reinforced by the fact that Brother Campbell was in some way associated with the mysterious woman from “Flashes Before Your Eyes”. This might have been a mere thematic association on the part of the producers, since Brother Campbell’s message was not unlike Ms. Hawkings’ message, but the similarities might be deliberate. Beyond Dharma and the Others, and whatever organization stands behind all of that, there may be something far more mystical driving a “course correction” on a larger scale. The parachutist mentions Desmond by name, which suggests that the tapestry is still coming together in some fashion.

Naomi’s arrival, coming so soon after the initiation of Ben’s latest plan, is rather suspicious. On the other hand, Desmond was not one of the original survivors of Oceanic 815, so it’s unlikely that Ben would have a sense of how to manipulate Desmond at this stage of the game. If Naomi was sent by Penny to find Desmond, it would finally bring the scene at the end of the second season into context with the rest of the season. (Indeed, it has only been a couple weeks since the EMP was detected; it’s logical to assume that any operation to find Desmond would take several days to put together.)

Desmond’s choice (well described by the title of the episode) dominated the episode, but there was one relatively significant subplot. After everything they went through, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer are trying to find a new comfort zone, and Juliet is not making that easy. Despite the potential for Kate-inspired tension, Jack and Sawyer seem to have a lot more respect for each other. They may be rivals, after a fashion, but they do care about each other’s welfare.

The Jack/Sawyer dynamic was good enough to counter the disappointing turn for Kate. Once again, Kate’s actions are defined by her relationship to Jack and Sawyer, which is not a good sign. While this does reinforce the idea that her insecurities drive a need for a man’s love, the one aspect of her character that has been relatively consistent over the course of the series, it’s disappointing to see a supposedly strong female character resort to such measures. Sawyer may not object to being used (too much), but it doesn’t make it palatable.
  • A solid addition to the Lost saga.

This was definately a solid episode. The whole trek was suspenseful and would have been alot better had I not known there was no chance of Charlie actually dieing.

As to the ending I think because Desmond didnt follow the flashes exactly how he saw them Naomi came down instead of Penny which is really hard to imagine but il accept it. Or maybe thats just in the weird world of Desmond.

The flashbacks were really dull but had some interesting references to Desmons current paradox. The scene with was worth it though and I cant wait for Penny to actually step foot on the island, hopefully in the season finale.

Overall Lost is on a roll, at the moment its well ahead of season 2 but it has to step it up even if it wants to compete with season 1.

8/10
  • Another quest in to Desmonds past, future and present. I can't keep track.

There is so much strong stuff going on with the Locke, Ben & Juliet stories, thus don't send us other places. I really don't love the Desmond storyline. I am lukewarm about him as a character, but am not sure why we have to bring more elements to Lost. The esp of Desmond and the "monster" seem to be overkill. The show is fanasty, but it could be self-contained fantasy if we delt with the "the others," the Dharma project, connected pasts, messed up pasts, survivor rivalries and rescues. I don't want to see the butterfly effect or "monsters." There is enough on the plate, brother.
  • Lost slips a little bit with a Desmond episode.

This week's episode of Lost was alright. It wasn't one of the best they have done, but it wasn't the worst either. This episode's flashbacks were really dull if you don't like Desmond. They helped to flesh out his backstory more, letting us learn where he got the "brother" phrase from and how he met the girl of his dreams, and the girl that plagues him so, throughout the episode. I also really didn't like that they let (excuse me for saying this) the minor characters play out the episode (Hurley, Desmond, Charlie, Jin). The only things that really saved this episode for me was the brief stints that had the main characters in it (to me they are Jack, Swayer and Kate; Locke was missing but he's off with the Other's doing something cool I hope). I did like the interaction between Jack and Swayer as they played ping-pong that was pretty cool. Also liked how the writers used Kate in this episode. Whew that is one fine woman lol.
  • It was a bit predicable and Desmond isn't as interesting as he used to be. But this show still had it's moments and good ones at that.

Not wanting to end on a negative note, I'll get my points out first.
    Not having read ant spoilers beforehand, I could tell from the opening that Charlie wasn't going to die. The arrow was definitely good for its shock value, but something in me pegged it as one of Desmond's 'flashes.' Also, I figured later Desmond would do the right thing and alter his flash by saving Charlie. Somehow, I didn't 'feel' it was Charlie's time.
    Secondly, as much as I like Desmond's character, these flashbacks weren't nearly as interesting as the previous two of his episodes. Though I do like seeing how him and Penny got together.

The best parts of this episodes were the secondary stories. Seeing how Juliet and Jack are together is nice, but makes me wonder if he himself isn't also a plant by the Others. But watching Sawyer approach Jack all...well Sawyer-y, telling him there's some things he needs to learn since being gone, like he's going to declare himself the new boss, but then whipping out ping pong paddles instead.....that was wonderful, seeing those two actually getting along for a change.

I had no doubt the helicopter pilot wasn't going to be Penny. When you're that rich, you don't go off into the middle of nowhere looking for something. You send a scout to recon the are, and report back any info you find, which is exactly what I believe the actual pilot was doing. So unfortunately all that build up never held any real emotion for me.
  • so a monk

Yes it is flashback for desmond type

double infact

desmond has one of his visions : somebody is coming to the island, so he prepairs for it by gathering everybody he saw in the vision, the only thing is he also saw charlie with an arrow through his throat, fun indeed

in a flashback we see desmond as a monk, turns out he was going to marry and ended up in a monastary, the big monk is not sure about desmond becomming a monk sawyer disides to get back to what is normal play;s a bit of ping pong with jack and visits kate to see well if he can get some

he catches her just as she is dressing (i have a feeling that when she says "i am over here" when sawyer is staring at her she is actually talking to all men boy what a body)

turns out she is not in the mood, well a ladies prerogative i guess

our quest group (hey it includes a former hobbit) is on the beach for the night when they here a helicopter, it crashes but something/one falls into the jungle

We see another flashback desmond gets one on the nose from some guy (his bride;s brother) and we see him with her explaining, not sure she is is convinces either

kate tries to connect with jack but looks he is not interested in her that way and he goes of to have dinner with a certain blond other

desmond gets kicked out, and as a last job he helps to put some cases of whine in a car, and look, its penny (so now we now 2 things how desmond meets penny and what the reason for that annoying "brother" thing is that he always says this pisses her off, and you know that there is only one thing to do, yes jump sawyer, ah the ways of love and lust.

the group go into the jungle and reach the place where charlie will die, but eventhough desmond thinks it will change all that he wants, he cannot do it and manages to pul l charlie out of the way

sawyer starts to wonder about why kate jumped him (why god why would he) and soon realizes that jack being with juliet has something to do with it

the group find the pilot in a tree the cut the body lose and hey it makes a sound it is alive

desmond opens the helmet (hope did not have a neckinjury!) and looks at the face of p.. no actually nessa (las vegas style) sorry des i know you thought it would be penny but hey life sucks
  • Desmond leads Jin, Hurley and Charlie into the jungle, while he debates not saving Charlie for the fourth time, in the hopes of being reunited with his love, Penny.Flashbacks reveal how he met her. Sawyer & Kate hook up again.

Oh, the things love makes you do!

Desmond tries to recreate a vision he has,and is prepared to sacrifice Charlie's life in order to see Penny again, but in the end he is not able to let him die.

I loved the flashbacks of Desmond as a monk and how he meets Penny. Now we know why he calls everyone "brother".
    I don’t know why they brought up the story with his ex-fiancée, but I guess we’ll see. I am curious about the woman in the picture on the monk’s desk. Isn’t it the lady from the jewelry store, that told him not to buy the ring??

Kate realizes she loves Jack, but only after seeing him with Juliet and realizing he's moved on, so she takes revenge on Jack and herself by climbing into Sawyer's tent for some "afternoon delight", with tears in her eyes.

I think it's very sweet the way Sawyer reacts to the knowledge that Kate only "jumped him" after seeing Jack and Juliet. When he makes her the mix tape. Very cute. Kate has managed to melt his candy shell.

Aaah, Jack and Juliet...Little does Jack know that in a week, his sweet Juliet will reunite with Ben. One more betrayal by a woman for Jack.

The ending was a nailbiter! Who is that chick??? And why does she know Desmond's name, and why does she have a pic of him and Penny, and why does she have the book "Catch-22" (is it in German??)??

Will Sayid get the satellite phone to work?

So many unknowns…

I am slowly and reluctantly beginning to understand and accept that this show is not about them getting off the island, but about WHEY they were brought to the island.
  • Has rescue fianlly arrived?

Following Desmond's last two centric episodes, both of which are favourites of mine, the earliest of which, "Live Together, Die Alone", Season 2's finale, is currently at time of writing this review my favourite episode of the series, the anticipation of "Catch 22" was well-deserved. So too was the payoff that this episode should have rewarded us. However, this episode is a slight disappointment. On one hand it provides us with an old fashioned adventure, something that prior to perhaps the Enter 77 arc, was sadly absent from the series. The adventure had been something that had been missing from the first half of the season when we were stuck in the cages of the Hydra Island. But once Kate decides to embark on her "Rescue Jack" mission [perhaps the best thing that Kate has done for the series so far] the adventure we all loved from the first seson returned.
    And even though there have been more stalls in between the sense of adventure has returned. In "Catch 22" the adventure feels like it was inspired by Season 1's "Numbers" and so it is rather ironic that "Rousseau's spiky death traps" and the Cable, two things that were memorable parts of that episode return here. Unfortunately, the same excitement that "Numbers" generated from that Jungle quest isn't mirrored here and this brings up the other hand of "Catch 22", which is that despite the promise of adventure the episode doesn't feel adventurous enough. Much of the first half of the episode is spent amongst the survivors arguing over Desmond's visions and his attempts to form the camping party. All this provides some comic moments but is also largely uneccesary and only stalls the adventure to come. When they do start their trek all that seems to happen for a while is whistling, ghost stories told round the camp fire and more arguments over the visions Desmond has. It is not until Charlie's near death that things start to get interesting.
    Elsewhere on the island thelove triangle or quadrangle now, is given some quality time, which drags the episode even more.
    The potential for the episode, as promised with the shocking teaser, doesn't reveal itself until the very end when Desmond sees the fallen Parachutist in the tree. This moment when the identity of the parachutist is revealed is perfectly mixed with the flashback in which Desmond meets Penny. The emotion and anticipation of that final moment builds well and Henry Ian Cusick's performance in this moment is great to behold. You're left wondering who the hell the parachutist is when it is revealed not to be Penny. If it wasn't for this final moment, the mini-adventure, and Charlie's near-death experience then this episode would have fared less for me. It was particularly nice to see the Cable again. The last time we saw it was Season 1 and since then some fans were wondering what the heck is was for and if it was connected to an underwater station. Mikhail mentioned an underwater beacon and that cables run down to it in "Enter 77" and "Par Avion". Despite not giving us any information on the cable and its purpose, in light of the exposition that had gone before, fans convinced in themselves that an underwater DHARMA station existed and that they would one day see it. Their prayers were duly answered by the end of the season.
    For all those fans that didn't lie awake at night thinking about Cables, the rest had forgotten about it. Despite Hurley and Sayid respectively discovering the cable only 2 months ago island time, it feels like an eternity for the viewers, even without the live first broadcasts.
    The writers keep risking showing us something and then not raising it back up until several seasons later. We don't even know what Adam and Eve are yet and they were discovered before even the Cable.
    However, returning to the cable in this episode, onlyt helps to allay fears that the writers don't know what they are doing. Even if they don't know what they are doing at least they don't forget things that have introduced seasons ago and this is a good sign.
    Lost gets sexed up again in this episode as a seductive Kate visits Sawyer's tent for some sex. All this lovey-dovey stuff is not necessary to the Lost plotline but it does help keep Lost an all-rounder. Lest we forget that the series isnot just a sci-fi series and not just about an island. One thing that did peturbe me was the fact that there wasn't that much tension with Juliet this episode. Sawyer was all over Juliet with threats in "One of Us" but in this episode he remains at bay and any suspicions with Jack are held off too. Why would Sawyer be so reticent with Jack, enough to play Table Tennis with him or joke to him in front of Juliet. Luckily suspicions are raised again soon but this seems a little inconsistent, reminding me of when Claire was abducted and the next thing that Jack and Kate did was argue over a case.
    Lost does not want to repeat this literary technique too often. Lost is a series which relies on its momentum and you feel that it is building at this stage of the series. And it would only get better.....
  • Good grief, Desmond!

I don't really care about Charlie, but seeing him get shot in the throat is one of the most gut-wrenching things I have ever seen. I almost lost my dinner! Of course, it was just a flashback. But when it came time for it to actually happen, I almost believed for a moment that it would come to pass! I was on the edge of my seat. Undoubtedly the most suspenseful moment of the series so far. I still don't understand why Charlie had to die for Desmond to find "Penny". Wouldn't that have slowed them up more?
< 1 2 3 4