Lost

Catch-22

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2007 on ABC

• Another triumph for mediocre writing...

"Lost" has lost it all. Most of the third season has been a disaster, the scripts are mostly lost beyond recognition and the amount of unsolved questions getting stacked on top of each other never seem to end. This episode just confirms everything I've written. Again we have to suffer the focus of one of the most damagaging characters to the serie: Desmond. His jargong is riddled with "Brother" and "Man", his acting below freezingpoint and he kills every frame he's in. This venom-presence have now finally made me decide NOT to watch "Lost" anymore. I've Lost hope, I've Lost interest since Lost lost everything that made this something Very Special. The scripts go from bad to worse, the acting suffer and the storylines jump around without ever settling. Flashbacks within flashbacks, all logic cast aside etc - this serie has, from season 2 and on in a escalating tempo, destroyed everything it once was. The original, vibrant, crisp, intelligent, human and mindboggling show from season one is all Lost.

I'm tired of being treated like a jerk by scriptwriters who have no sense of direction or being believable in what they write. This is a weekly abuse of an audience who praised the screen Lost was put on, when it once aired. Now it's just loose ends upon loose ends. There is no mainstory anymore, everything is fillers upon fillers - one show about one charachter, the next about another and the next about yet another and another and another. Since new characters are spread like confetti, there's plenty to go around. We get glimpses, a lot out of context, from Sawyer and the original cast. The mystical forces of the island are now just stupid and impossible to believe. Who cares about the Dharma-thing now, anyway? The story and the mystery have dissolved into a Big nothing. With all the loose ends lying around, it would be easier just to pull the plug on the show right now. Don't feed us any more stupid stories, out of context-events etc. Just finish the damn thing, because this is embaressing. Everything that once worked for the show now works against it. If the original cast thought the show would promote their careers, well: that ship has sailed since season two.

I'm thinking this is a J.J. Abrams-phenomenon. It was EXACTLY the same thing with "Alias", even if that remained a good show for a bit longer. But after a outstanding first season and a very good second season, they went into a boring and confusing third season - where the stories and the actors got worse. Then a fourth season, which no-one could believe in, treating the audience like idiots with plotlines which competed in stupidity. Then the last fifth season, where the show was lost beyond recognition - no-one cared, everyone wanted to go home, everything was so way below average that they pulled the plug on the show and a lot of people didn't even notice that it had gone. What a shame - to have a strong development of a theme just turn into rigor mortis and even more rigor mortis. The same thing with "Lost" and I know I'm not the first one to say it. I have my doubts about Abrams future. The third "Mission impossible" didn't pull it off. His modus operandi of creating something new and fresh which captures an audience for a while, then just dies - about the same time as he decides to move on to another project - it does feel a bit cynical. What if he instead had stayed, put as much effort in season two and three as in the first one? Together with Lindelof and the rest. What we instead are faced with is a monument of bad writing and how to dismantle a beautiful show, that could have been one-in-a-lifetime. Really. Every new episode of "Lost" is another tombstone on the churchyard of this show, where we hope all loose ends soon will be buried. This viewer will suffer no more. Thanks for the first season, guys - you Were great.
  • Desmond again is trying to prevent Charlie from dying without altering the future.Kate's jealousy of Julliete's relationship with Jack prompts a romp in the tent with "James"

3.8
    I hated this episode. I thought that the show was really clicking ever since the NikiPaulo episode and then came up with this stinker. I feel every time we go to a Desmond back story it's horrible. I can't stand this character, and I couldn't care less about his past.I have to tell you, every time it's a Desmond friendly episode, I immediately lose interest and find my self channel surfing. I'm not sure why we have so many episodes dedicated to him, and I hate that he has become so important to the show.What a stupid explanation to why he says "Brother" all the time too. And OK we get it, he's a drunken screwup.I think the writers knew that last night's story was uninteresting and wouldn't be able to carry the whole episode since they felt the need to include the KateSawyer romp. Sheesh I thought I was watching FX for a minute there. i just feel it's too late in the season to have such a bad episode especially after the great ones we've had the last month or so. I'm not a huge Charlie fan, but I wish that Desmond's been wrong all along and it's him that's destined to bite the dust."That would be worth watchin' brutha "
  • Overall it was ok.

1.6
    I'm not a fan of Desmond or the Desmond arc at all though. If I didn't see him on the show again, I wouldn't miss him a bit. I like episodes with Charlie in them, and this at least has that, however, I don't want to see Charlie leave the show and I'm starting to think that the writters are getting us used to that idea by showing and hinting to his death again and again.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the look on Jack's face when he finds out that Juliet is nothing but a turncoat and can never be trusted. Hopefully Sawyer will kill her (and him!) soon and both of them will be gone forever.
  • Desmond toys with the idea of sacrificing Charlie in order to be reunited with his girlfriend, Jealously drives Kate back into Sawyers ever-willing arms, Jack and Juliette continue to bond and Lost begins to slide back, ever slowly, towards the abyss.

Just when we thought things were finally beginning to get moving again, we get this big load of codswallop. Desmond has a vision and the lads all trek off into the jungle, not at all unnerved by Dessie's frantic, desperate attempts to keep them moving all the time and reluctance to tell them anything about what they are supposed to be doing.

I'm hoping for big answers from parachute girl but somehow I doubt we'll get very much in that regard, although we may have a new character on the show, as we are seriously lacking in anyone of the African American persuasion at the moment. They either disappear into the horizon or get smacked up by smoke monsters but never seem to last very long on the island.

This last episode was cack. Just as my faith in the show was beginning to be restored they pull the rug out from under you and give you this drivel. It was an excuse to give us a semi-decent view of Kate in the tent getting dressed and another near death experience for Charlie but is that a real reason for watching the show.

I think the writers have some semblance of an idea of what they are doing and where the story is going but they don't have enough material to stretch over the next hundred seasons or however many seasons they are planning to drag this on for. So they drop us some bait when we seem to be losing interest, reel us back in for the moment and then serve us this tripe for a few weeks until we are dropping off again, then they hit us with something else that seems relevant to the overall story(whatever that is at this stage-I'm not too sure)luring us back again for another few weeks of pointlessness. But for how long will we keep coming back?
  • Errrm....

Lost has been on a roll for me. Basically, up to this point, with the exception of 1-2 slower episodes, every single one managed to score between Above Average and Perfect.

But, this episode, really breaks that roll. Heck, this one comes off as THE lowest rated episode of Season 3 in my books.

I was surprised to see so many Perfect ratings for this.... I think this episode was actually much duller than Stranger in a Strange Land.

One of the main issues i have with this episode is that it was absolutely unneccessery.

First of all, I liked the opening. Desmond seeing Charlie die was cool, as we finally saw it too. And of course, many of us thought it actually is reality ,not a flash. Anyway; it was nice. But from there on... spend 15 minutes on preparing for a trek that we already see happen in the flash?

That was somewhat silly. Because we already knew it would happen. And quite honestly, It's not much of an excitement to see how it happens, it's not like Desmond had to ask Ben to go with him. He only had to ask his friends.

If anything, there were certain... MOMENTS that were good. The boys whistling, Jin telling them ghost stories in korean, Desmond daydreaming of Penny...

Basically this episode is all about wether Desmond should sacrafice Charlie for Penny or not. He understands his vision as this: Charlie dies, Penny arrives on the island.

But... he doesn't let Charlie die, and it's not Penny who comes to the island, but a stranger, who, actually, has a photo of Penny and Desmond. The End.

Where was the excitement? Where was the juice? After this episode, there was nothing to talk about, really. Stranger landed on the island, and that's it.

The flashbacks were... oh god. BORING. These flashbacks were 2 times worse than ANY of Kate's flashbacks , and yes... it was actually worse than "Whatever the Case May Be". Desmond as a monk? Ok. Desmond apologizes to his ex girlfriend? Ok. It's ok... I just don't care. 1. It didn't develop his character.
    2. It was irrevelant.
    3. Sadly, they tried to force a bible story parallel on the island plot which came off totally lame.
    4. Yawn.

The only truly good thing was the Back and forth scenes with Desmond meeting Penny for the first time in the flashback and him removing the helmet of the girl who just landed on the island. And of course, the disappointment on Desmond's face was very similiar to my face expression.

Overall:

Predictable trek from A to B.
  • Desmond has the honor having my most favorite and least favorite episodes of the season.

First of all, I'd like to apologize. I spent the last week going around saying things like "there hasn't been a bad episode in weeks!" and "it's a Desmond episode coming up! It's gonna be GREAT!" Obviously I jinxed myself, because I was throughly bored with last night's show. It actually felt like half a show, like something was missing. I honestly remember very little of anything other than Desmond's trek through the jungle, the consequence of which we already knew. Kate was jealous or something, right? There's a reason I don't watch things like Grey's Anatomy.

And I'm not sure what the flashbacks were supposed to clarify. That now we know why he says "brotha" a lot? I was really tired last night...did I miss something? Why did that guy punch him in the face? And who was the girl at the end? It was revealed in a way that we were supposed to gasp and go "oh my god! It's ----", but I don't know who to fill in the blank with. I assume that she was sent by Penny, or by those two Portuguese guys at the end of last season, so at least that story is moving forward.

In any case, Desmond has the honor having my most favorite and least favorite episodes of the season. HOWEVER, at the risk of extending my curse, I would like to point out that we have some great episodes coming up in the next few weeks, including a Sun and Jin episode next week which, with Sun's impending delivery, proves to be of utmost importance to exploring the Others' mission.

Line of the week:
    Sawyer: (to Jack and Juliet) Hope I'm not interrupting! You two arguing over who's your favorite Other?
  • Necessary Setup???

Objective - » Since Desmond is one of the Main Cast Characters, and the episodes were he was the Main character was so successful, the producers decided to build one more episode about him, since he was impossible to put a episode about him later in the season. So, you have is flashbacks and mission on the Island as the primary focus and the Kate subplot reaction about Jack. Good material or so it seemed.

Flashbacks -» Pure from Boring Kingdom. The beginning can fail to catch your attention. The complication phase is inexistence, the climax is not there and you simple don´t care for an ending.

Event on The Island -» Just wasting your time. The beginning was strong, but then, the complication phase was about Desmond deciding to save Charlie or not. I didn´t Catch the Climax, and the ending does not justify the whole structure of this episode.

Kate Reaction -» Kate subplot was really strange. Her slut reaction to Sawyer was something that does not make sense to me. In the Middle, what was cool was seeing Sawyer reaction, when he learn why Kate did it. Maybe this was the Climax of this subplot, because Sawyer made some minor jokes that is funny anyway.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Silver. Didn´t Noticed but I didn´t care either. The only thing here that is strange is Kate Slut reaction, which is something that does not make any sense to me.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Bad. Showing us what would happen in the beginning of this episode was a bad idea from the writers, since you wait too long for the part you want to see and with the flashbacks, this became very boring.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: The beginning can get you by surprise, this was well done, the ending is a surprise, but not very interesting yet.

4 - Action: None, but wasn´t an episode for this.

5 - Funny: Bronze. The Ghost Story Scene made by Jin. Maybe some comments between Hugo and Charlie.

6 - Drama: .Bronze. Almost Irrelevant. The Scene with his loved one was nice.

7 - Tension/Fear: Weak. Almost inexistent.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Nearly Bronze - . Maybe you want to know what happens with Charlie, but when the episode begins to be boring, it is difficult to care and is impossible to him to die, only if was Charlie flashback in game, like many other character like Ana Lucia, Shannon and Eko maybe this would become true.

Overall, this episode was unnecessary, maybe the ending, but the entire episode is about wasting time and does not have the ability to entertain for too long, only if you are a super fan that rate 10 or 9 to every episode.
  • Desmond is to Penny as Micheal is to Walt. Will do anything are will they? Overallt an okay episode great Humor and puts a whole new spin and speculation for the fans.

6.8
    The Flashback was okay too I mean the whole Desmond being a monk I enjoyed it but did it reveal and thing about his character a bit Hes always looking for somthing better, he believes in Destiney and fate which led him to find Penny Widmore and on the Island Penny Is looking for Desmond are so we think. I loved Jin in this episode he has a striking presence and Daniel is quite hilarious. Charlie has now trusted Desmond but I dont understand why he needed Charlie to die I mean would his death changed the coruse of the future in terms os Desmond finding Penny are somthing worse. I guess we will never no but as for this mysterious person. She is defently hired by Penny I think to find the Island becasue I know think is visibile to the outside world. Overall it was guile averge and a little perdictable but honestly wouldnt it be of a surprise if it was Desmond. The Juliet- Jack- Kate - Sawyer ark continues. You know what they say Love is blind and Jack is blind. Kate however has some issues by making Sawyer her rebound was kinda sketchy yet very good storytelling. This episode was okay and we learned more about Kate then Desmond but I did enjoy it overall and Next week my faveiriote Flashbacks are Sun/Jin so I cant wait not to mention we havnt seen much of Sun.
  • Plot: Desmond rallies the boys to go on a camping trip in the hopes of killing Charlie and I suppose if he finds his love on the way that’s cool too, but killing Charlie should take precedence. TV reviews at www.lifereviewed.com

6.3
    Plot: Jack and Juliet get cozy together, forcing Kate to sleep with Sawyer. Not really sure how that worked out, but I don’t hear him complaining. Desmond rallies the boys to go on a camping trip in the hopes of killing Charlie and I suppose if he finds his love on the way that’s cool too, but killing Charlie should take precedence.

I read in Entertainment Weekly, that the writing staff feels that since the slow start of this season, they are being judged on an episode by episode basis. I agree with this assessment and found this episode wanting. I would call it a filler episode, but it doesn’t even merit that. The flashbacks focus on Desmond’s life leading up to his meeting Penne. Normally, flashbacks show us something new about the character or explain some new connection with their fellow castaways. These were just pointless. All we learn is that Desmond is a huge douche, who manages to make up for his cowardly nature with a bad ass accent. After leaving his finance, Ruth without any notice, Desmond joins a cloister of monks. Desmond takes getting cold feet to new heights and could give the runaway bride a run for her money. Ugh, I said run too many times in that last sentence. When Ruth’s brother shows up and punches Desmond in the face for leaving his sister, Desmond turns to his own personal savior; Jesus, as personified by a bottle of expensive wine. The monks tend to frown upon boozing and fighting and decided Desmond needs to go. I guess God has nobler things in mind for him than getting wrecked in the basement of a church.

Visions of a new visitor coming to the island, lead Desmond to believe that Penne is at last coming to find him. Neglecting to tell Charlie about his impending death, he gathers up everyone who was in his vision and heads out into the jungle. This brings up an interesting point; does Desmond really see the future or is he just following a set path from which he could chose to avoid if he wanted to? We already know, much to my chagrin, that he can prevent Charlie’s death, so I wonder how far he can truly manipulate fate. In this particular instance, he had to actively work to get everyone to follow his vision as opposed to the events naturally occurring. In a last minute decision, Desmond decides to spare Charlie’s life and changes fate once again. Instead of finding his lost love, the guys discover an injured pilot. Sadly, she is not a hot chick.

Kate continues to grow jealous watching Jack and Juliet bond together. Instead of talking to Jack or simply accepting the fact that she may have missed her chance with him, Kate acts like a normal girl, and by that I mean she goes crazy. Doesn’t Sawyer have the herp anyways? I wonder if he has condoms in that stash of his.

Parting Thought: I know Desmond has a cool accent and all, but come on Penelope, make the man work for it a little bit at least.
    TV reviews at www.lifereviewed.com
  • Step into the mind of Desmond's horrific visions and have to watch the same man die over and over again....still it's better than having to watch Jack/Kate/Sawyer.

6.6
    I was torn this episode. The Desmond story was good. I was unsure about his "being a monk" backstory but since it was just him cowardly running away again I let it be and enjoyed it. I liked that what seems to be one of Penny's employees found Desmond and arrived on the island (even if she doesn't live) but I didn't love it. I got scared that Charlie would be offed and I realised that I'm not ready yet. Since we're still a-waiting for his own episode I'm nervous that it's coming up. I found repeatedly seeing him die quite horrible and I think they did a good job of making you understand why Desmond was ready to sacrifice Charlie (letting himself believe that Penny herself was coming to justify it).

All of these things and more (particularly Team B aka Team Awesome going out on an exploration and Jin's brilliant campfire story) were pretty good for me.

Kate's story, however, was excruciating. What the hell is going on? I found the whole storyline incredibly soap opera-ish and I really didn't like Kate or Sawyer's behaviour this episode at all. I was never a fan of this love triangle story but it's getting insufferable now IMO. Kate shouldn't've gone with either of them. She's a stronger more interesting character on her own.
  • Another piece of the jigsaw puzzle is solved!

We're always waiting for new twists, turns and breakthroughs in this series, and here we have a classic example. Aswell as the Kate-Sawyer-Jack love triangle subplot, the flashbacks on Desmond's life as a Scottish Monk are interesting. The episode also picks up somewhat from the season two finale, ending with a typical 'lost' cliffhanger - the introduction of a new character who literally drops from the sky (cute, English born acrtess Marsha Thomason plays the mysterious parachuter). So, at last, we may get some sound answers to the mystery of the island.. and will Penny and Desmond finally be reunited?! Bring on next week's episode! Can't wait!
  • Great episode!

I really love this episode because it's so exciting. Desmond is one of my favourite actor. He is so good and he really knows how to make an episode exciting. I love it how they began with Charlie dying, but than you see it's not real. Really a great episode just like every episode of lost!
  • Could have been alot better, but it was ok.

7.3

This episode feels quite entertaining at some points, while at other times, quite dreary.

Starting with a positive aspect, it carrys on desmonds thematic aspect that he is running towards as well as inadvertently running away from something, but at the same time, his flashback story seems somewhat flat and uneventful, the tied in concept of his "brother" catchphrase seems as ludicrase as the explanation for Jacks Tattoo, and at the same time, equally as pointless.

The love triangle rears it's ugly head again with a somewhat seemingly pointlessly time consuming aspect of Kate, Sawyer and Jack, not really doing very much really, this aspect will most likely lead to Judas Juliet in later episodes, but for the time being, utterly uninteresting.

It's not a bad episode, it just feels as if alot of time has been squandered, more time spend on Desmonds back story being matured to something interesting and less on the island would have probably made this episode more enjoyable for me.

There is also a gratuitous flashing of bodies in a sexual manner and a particularly graphic scene involving a character which not might be subtile for younger viewers. (who will watch regardless of the scheduling), this seemed very unlost like.
  • Come on.

Maybe I'm missing something but this episode was a real stinker. All of this flashback stuff and going back in time before the first event happens in the episode was just really stupid. There are a few things about lost that just don't change do they. This episode was really just a flashback and some trip through the woods. Anyway nothing really great happened and I knew Charlie wouldn't die, of course not, not in the first 5 minutes.

This new person on the island, I'm not sure what might be the deal with this. I think if any other help comes across the island well it would never work, not with the other people pretty much ruling the whole place.
  • Desmond !!!

7.6
    Boring is one word you might describe this episode but I described it as a small break from the excitement. From the beginning of the third season of Lost I have been sitting on the edge of my seat jumping up and down from the adrenolin rush Lost always gives me so this episode was more of a calm down kind of episode. Nothing much happened. Desmond sees Charlie's death again but he also sees Penny ( the love of his life ) land on the island but Charlie has to die for that to happen so Desmond is torn between sacrificing Charlie or the probability of him not seeing Penny again. The episode was alright. I never expected Lost to sink to a rating lower than eight but these things happen. Favorite character from this episode : Penny !! I liked how she flirted with Desmond in his flashbacks. She has atittitude !! Friends oponions : 1) 3 out 10. 2) 10 out of 10. 3) 9 out of 10. 4) 8 out of 10. 5) 10 out of 10.

Episode spotlight was on : Desmond :) Great stuff
  • A solid addition to the Lost saga.

This was definately a solid episode. The whole trek was suspenseful and would have been alot better had I not known there was no chance of Charlie actually dieing.

As to the ending I think because Desmond didnt follow the flashes exactly how he saw them Naomi came down instead of Penny which is really hard to imagine but il accept it. Or maybe thats just in the weird world of Desmond.

The flashbacks were really dull but had some interesting references to Desmons current paradox. The scene with was worth it though and I cant wait for Penny to actually step foot on the island, hopefully in the season finale.

Overall Lost is on a roll, at the moment its well ahead of season 2 but it has to step it up even if it wants to compete with season 1.

8/10
  • Desmond has another vision in which Charlie 'dies', by taking an arrow in the throat during a camping trip through the jungle in search of a woman who lands on the island. Kate and Sawyer grow closer dues to her reaction to Jack and Juliet's relationship.

So while this was not my favorite epsiode of the season, it was rather nerve racking, the opening scene where we see Charlie getting shot in the throat by a booby trap; possibly one of Rousseau's, only to find that in the end Desmond saves Charlie. The flashback was hard to follow, maybe because it was a flashback lite episode. So Desmond was once a monk, now we know why he calls every guy 'Brother', and he loved another before Penny, and we know how he met Penny. I just didn't connect what his flashback showed that would have made him save Charlie. The head monk kept talking about the pathes that we choose in life, so I guess we are meant to believe that Desmond's constant saving of Charlie leads us to believe that it will eventually lead to something great. Now for the biggest shocker who is this mysterious parachuter and why is it that she has a picture of Desmond and Penny, remember last season's finale when we see that Penny has been in the south Pole or something looking for Desmond and tracking the e.m.p. or whatever from the hatch exploding, so she probably sent someone to the origin, of course there is no way to communicate with the outside world on the island.

Now in regards to the love square between Jack and Juliaet and Kate and Sawyer, so Sawyer basically said that he has no problem being used for sex by Kate but he at least wants to know if that is the case, I used to feel bad for Kate but after her last flashback episode it is clear she cares too much and puts her own happiness above others just doenst realize it. Jack and Juliet are growing closer, their little dinner date was cute, I just hope that he does not say that four letter word before she exposes her treachery.
  • Lost is getting better!

This was a good episode. I prefered the two previous episodes but it was still v good! Didn't get the ending - have we seen that women from the end before?? i thought the start and middle were really enjoyab;e but the end ruined it for me, i think they could have finished somewhere different. Still Lost seems to be back to its best, can't wait for the upcoming episodes!!
  • Mysterious visitor drops from the sky, who is it?

This is one of the better episodes of Season 3. A good old fashioned lost trek through the jungle with danger lurking everywhere and even the Desmond monastery flashbacks were pretty good as it showed how he met Penny (Penelope).

Desmond once again used his weird power of persuasion to convince the people in his lastest premonition flash-forward to join him on his trek, so hopefully he would be reunited with Penny whom he thought was the one to arrive on the Island. Desmond was in a Catch-22 as he had to decide between saving Charlie from death once again or letting things play themselves out. He chose to do the right thing as usual and saved him from one of Danielles traps. In a way it was kind of predictable but you never know with LOST as its full of suprises. Like finding out who it was who parachuted out of the crashing helicopter. Did saving Charlie alter things?

The subplot with Sawyer and Kate finally "getting a room" back at the beach was ok, but didnt add much to the episode. Overall this is one of the stronger episodes, though not as good as last week. It does set up next week as we will find out who it was that fell from the sky.
  • Desmond takes Jin, Charlie and Hurley on a trek to the jungle where Desmond believes Penny has landed. The Jack-Kate-Sawyer Love Triangle turns into a love quadrangle. Desmonds flashback shows that he ran from another girl before his wedding day.

Another solid episode. Not a spectacle or anything like Desmond's last flashback episode but an overall great episode of LOST. I was constantly wondering if Desmond was actually going to sacrifice Charlie for who he thought was Penny, but was relieved when his conscience got the best of him. I am very curious to who this mysterious Portageuse girl who landed on the island was, but she must be someone Penny sent (since she is Portageuse and the two men from last years season finale who called Penny when they detected an electromagnetic anomaly were also Portaguese). I would assume Penny sent her to rescue Desmond, but of course she failed and her helicopter crashed. (This is feasible since she whispered Desmond when she landed). Another key point of this episode is "What the hell is Kate doing?". I'm very pumped for next week's Sun/Jin-centric episode, and even more pumped for the one after that where we supposedly learn about what Locke has been doing with the others.
  • Absolutely fantastic.

Anyone who reads my reviews will know that I am not one of those people who gives something a 10 unless it truly deserves it, but I must say, I was about to give this episode a 10 until maybe the last 5 minutes. The storyline for this episode was fantastic, even the backstory was fairly interesting, developing on one of the only characters we don't already know everything about. The parachuting woman introduces a new character to the island, but I fear she will meet the same fate as Nikki and Paulo. I seriously thought Desmond was going to sacrifice Charlie for a second and was infuriated with him. This season started off very poorly, but it is setting up for afantastic finale. Keep it up Lost!!
  • Everything around Desmond seems to be great, and this episode is no exception.

Catch-22, being a Desmond-centric episode, deals with his precognition ability. Having us worried all throughout, Charlie's fate is at game during the episode. Desmond hesitates between his love for Penny and protecting Charlie, finally settling for taking a risk.

The flashbacks were surprising, showing Desmond as a newly accepted monk who bailed out of an engagement a week before the wedding. I stood the whole time wondering when chronologically was the flashback happening, after or before Penny, because not only was he to marry another woman who wasn't Penny, but also because he was becoming a monk, and I recall knowing monks can't be with women.

The episode was just fantastic, while watching it I felt a mix of intrigue, anxiety and anger, all on Desmond's storyline (both in flashbacks and on the island). On the other hand, there was also the triangle tension arising again, but with the addition of Juliet to make things more complicated.
  • A Desmond-centric episode.

All things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. All of the story lines in this episode were great. In my opinion, the flashbacks of Desmond's life were great. I loved the whole story line with Kate being upset about Jack and Juliet spending time together and seducing Sawyer in order to make herself feel better. That was definitely my favorite story line of the episode since Sawyer is one of my most favorite characters on the show. I only wish that Juliet had been featured more in this episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted, well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD set.
  • i thought this episode was ahhh weird

i thought this episode was great or thought it wasent penny it is still another person on the island right? it might even have flash backs for who ever this person is and i thought it was cool seeing the flashes of and charlie getting killed.

and sawyer lol.

in the next 2 weeks i think lost will answer the dharma!

enyways i guess i goto wait
  • Catch 22 review

First of all superman man is way better than The Flash.

I was dissapointed that the writers actually expected to trick us with the arrow in charlie's throat thing. I mean was there anyone who actually thought they were going to kill charlie in the middle of a superman V Flash arguement opposed to in a heroic way.

In desmonds vision he sees charlie killed. But then later in the flashback he sees charlie, hurley, and jin holding the net about to catch naomi. How can he hold the net if he died earlier. This might multiple version of the future.
  • Wow!

The ending was totally unexpected. When I thought Penny died, I was incredibly mad! I threw the remote at the TV.. It dissapointed me. But when I found out that "she" was alive, I got very happy! I thought she was going to be an addition to the show. But when they showed the other chick come out of the suit, I was confused. It was so weird! And then it just ended! I LOVE the episodes that do that! They make my day! Another part that affected me was when Kate was seducing Sawyer as she was crying? what is up with that? Wow! She really liked Jack!? I didn't know she liked him that much. It was kind of depressing seeing her crying though. Oh well, hopefully next episode will be just as good as the last!
  • The Trend Continues

With a few exceptions, Lost has been better than ever since it came back from it's 3-month hiatus. This episode continued the marvelous trend. We finally learned how Desmond met Penny. We also got a ton of new things to speculate about from the flashes Desmond is having. We cannot get a barrelful of answers every week. Sometimes having new questions presented is good. While, not my favorite episode, this was yet another brilliant episode. It leaves a lot to discuss until next week. And it sort of shows that Desmond is getting tired of saving Charlie. Things are really getting good now.
  • This was a good episode with Charlie & Desmond, and this Desmond flash back was way better than last one. (contains Spoilers)

The beginning was great it of course had us thinking that Charlie was a goner, and then of course it was a vision of Desdmonds. We found out alot about Desmond, like the fact he was a monk, and how he was fired and then met that penny chick who he saw was going to come on the island. I knew when they didn't show her face it was going to be someone important sicne they were talking and built up to showing who he was talking to. When he finally decided to save Charlie.. again it ended up being some different chick, but she had a picture of Desmond and Penny, and she also said his name when they go her out of the tree. The arrow to the throat they kept showing was gross, it was as bas as when they kept giving Claire shots, when they took her to the now empty medical hatch. It did look cool, but I'm glad they didn't kill off Charlie.

The chick flick part of the episode was when Kate saw Jack and Juliette getting all chumy and then got some lovin' from Sawyer. He stated he can still call her "freckles" because she wasn't there when the bet took place. I can't wait for the bet to be over, his one nicknames and one liners are great. I would also like to add before that when he walked into her tent and she was just barely dressed, that was nice. I don't know why he reacted the way he did, he already saw it all. So later the next morning Sawyer finds out what happened after playing ping pong with Jack. It was also funny when he asked Jack & Juliette, if they were arguing over who was there favorite "other." I think he was just happy to be with her and didn't care why. That was funny about the if we don't play ping pong every 108 minutes comment th island will explode. Sawyer gave Kate a Phil Collins tape which was funny in itself, after saying he was going to give her a mixed tape. He said he got it from Bernie, so he is still there somwere, they haven't had him and Rose on in a while. I hope they bring them back and give them some cool storyline that maybe answers some more questions. I think there are only about 4 or 5 more episodes till the end of Season 3.
  • Continuation of the ridiculous Lost love quadrangle of doom that everyone's had just about enough of already

6.1
    How many times can the writers point out to us that Kate wants to have her cake and eat it too? Throughout all the seasons so far, she's had Jack and Sawyer right where she wants them and her and Sawyer finally acted on their feelings in the latest season, which Jack was aware of. The producers led us to believe 'whoever Kate chooses in the mini-arc will be her definitive choice'. Well, either they've got selective memory issues, or they're taking us for fools with this one. Because guess what? The triangle? Still not over. And there's a new member now, Juliet, making it a love rhombus I guess.

Jack and Juliet would potentially make a great couple. She brings out a side of Jack that is actually endearing, which I never thought I'd say. But that damn Kate keeps getting in the way. Jack impressed me in the scene with Kate; he sort of shrugged her off, pretending to be noticing her flirting but not really acting like he cares either - all I can say is, well done Jack. Kate does stupid things in this episode like licking a spoon before sharing it with Jack, getting jealous of Jack eating dinner with Juliet, and going to Sawyer's tent and making the moves on him - whilst crying. Oh, please. Writers, why bring Kate down to this level? Why keep centering her between Jack and Sawyer like this? She's merely 'the object of the main guy leads' affections' in this show, and the whole thing's just silly and getting really old now.

The Desmond-related scenes were the saving graces of the episode. Yes, the stuff with saving Charlie once again is repetitive, but the episode's climax with the woman parachuting onto the island is well worth watching. I think this should be a lesson to the writers - cut down on the Jack-Kate-Sawyer melodrama, especially if you can't write decent dialogue for them in the romantic sense.
  • It was a good and solid episode overall.

"Catch-22" is a Desmond-centric episode showing us flashbacks from the time he was a monk to the first time he laid eyes on Penny. On the island, the story is divided into two. One of them was a Desmond story, which includes Charlie, Jin and Hurley. The other story would be focusing on Sawyer, Kate, Jack and Juliet.

The flashback was overall just OK for me. We just find out that Desmond was supposed to be married before he met Penny, and that he fled to a haven because of fear. He also breaks down in that haven, and ends up meeting Penny. Not the better part of the episode. The flashback also had no shockers, and it didn't even play a role on the island. Just a type of flashback that was informative, and not really wowing.

Meanwhile, on the island, Desmond gets flashes of a helicopter crashing, and a survivor from it. He also gets a vision of Charlie being shot. In hopes that the survivor would be Penny, Desmond drags Jin, Hurley and Charlie out for a camping trip to relive the whole vision. When time came, Desmond decided to save Charlie from the arrow, but when he reaches the body of the person who landed, he gets the shock of his life. That story was quite adventurous and fun to watch. The dialogs between the characters were great as well.

Elsewhere on the island, the Kate-Jack-Sawyer-Juliet love square heats up. Kate flirts a little with Jack, giving him the small talk while they run into each other, but when Kate later sees Jack having dinner with Juliet, she gets jealous and seeks comfort with Sawyer. I actually liked that part of the episode since I am a Jate fan. I'm still hoping Jack and Kate end up together. Sawyer was also hilarious as usual. Overall it wasn't a bad episode.
< 1 2 3 4