Lost

Catch-22

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 18, 2007 on ABC

• We finally see what Desmond sees when he has a flash and Charlie dies. Oh, wait, that was in a flash. Anyway, this Desmond-centric episode was definitely one of the top 10 of the season and it had brilliant, funny writing and a great ending.

Although this episode wasn't a mind-blowing hour of television and not as game-chaging as previous Desmond episodes, it did have a healthy supply of plot movement while still bringing the twists and turns.

For those of you who don't know, a catch-22 is an event in which there is a dilemma because of conflicting conditions. (Desmond wants Penny to be on the island, but, to have that happen, Charlie has to die. But, if Charlie dies, then the Jin and Hurley won't want to finish the trip and the parachutist will die). The reason the episode is entitled Catch-22, though, is mainly because Desmond finds the Portugese version of the book in Naomi's pack--along with a 'working' satphone, a hula girl, beef stew, a nutra bar, and a picture of DESMOND AND PENNY!!!!

Flashbacks:

The flashbacks, while still showing an interesting side to Desmond, and answering the question of why he calls everyone brother, were definitely not the highlight of this episode. Also, they were surprisingly short. Either way, the obvious underlying theme of the flashbacks was that people have to make sacrifices for the greater good and thus, sometimes you have a catch-22 or a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation--hence the title of the episode.

The flashbacks tell the story of a pre-Penny Desmond and his time in a monastery while training to be a monk. In the flashbacks, Desmond is fired--if that's even the right word to use--by the head monk, Brother Campbell, because Desmond is apparently not fit to be a monk and Campbell thinks that God has "bigger, greater plans for Desmond." In fact, Brother Campbell was right.

Additionally, we are shown yet another instance of Desmond's cowardice through his relationship with a girl named Ruth, whom he was going to marry. A week before the wedding, Desmond, apparently, had a calling and decided to follow a monk who found him on the street. Ruth, however, does not take this as enough justification for Desmond running out on her.

Then, in a scene that I smiled through entirely, we see how Desmond met Penny.

Obviously, Desmond episodes have been known mainly because of their flashbacks, but, although these ones had a very direct on-island tie-in and had a lot of character development, they were not the main feature of this episode.

On-Island:

Oh snap! The on-island stuff this week was awesome. It's funny how last week the flashbacks were the main focus, but this week it's the other way around.

When Desmond has a flash of a helicopter coming to the island, he must enlist the help of Hurley, Charlie, and Jin because that is the only way the "picture in the box" will stay the same.

I thought the episode did a really good job of explaining what Desmond sees when he has a vision and I really enjoyed the fact that Desmond refers to his visions as putting together the pieces of a puzzle without a picture. (I did that with one of the LOST puzzles, actually (that took forever)) Anyway, after convincing Hurley, Charlie and Jin to come along on the "camping" trip and getting the medical kit from Jack, the 4 musketeers head out towards the cable. At first, I thought the cable was going to play a bigger part in the episode, but it made a lot more sense for it to just be a "landmark" for Desmond's vision. They decide to make camp for the night. During one of Jin's ghost stories, which Hurley seemed to understand pretty well (??), they hear a helicopter flying overhead. At this point, because of the weird sound it was making, I really though that the helicopter had hit some sort of island barrier; kind of like the "snowglobe" that Desmond refers to in Live Together, Die Alone. Either way, the helicopter crashes and, because he didn't see the flashing red light, Desmond thinks he did something wrong and ended up changing the future. Luckily, he was wrong. As Jin turns the other way, he notices a flashing red light and Desmond is very eager to go and find the parachutist because he thinks it's Penny. But Charlie, because he's a big fat loser, says that they should wait until morning before going into the jungle because they might run in to one of Danielle's traps. He was right. The next morning, after they take off into the jungle, Desmond finds what is believed to be the parachutist's pack in a tree. Inside: a Portugese version of Catch-22, a satphone, a hula doll, beef stew, and a Nutra Bar. Oh yeah, and a picture of Desmond and Penny. Oh snap is right! Later, Desmond tells Charlie that he is sure that the parachuter is Penny now that he's found her pack. I don't really understand why he would think that... Does Penny know Portuguese or something? I think the book would've given it away for me if I was Desmundo. This is the part of the episode where the vision of Charlie's death comes into play. In the vision, Desmond saw Hurley and Charlie having a hilarious argument about if Superman or the Flash would win in a foot race. When Desmond recognizes this, he has to decide whether or not to warn Charlie about his impending doom and risk changing things. In the end, I think he made the right decision by saving Charlie. Even though I hate the little hobbit with the furry of a thousand suns. I hate Charlie the character and the decisions he's made, not the actor. I hate him in the way that you are supposed to hate a television character. Anyway, they finally find the parachutist and it turns out to not be Penny. Sorry, Des.

Storyline B, while not being the main focus of the episode, was pretty awesome. Unlike most fans of the show, I actually really like the Juliet-Jack-Kate-Sawyer romance story. And the parts of this episode dealing with that were super cool. And, even though I would be in the Jater category, that hoochie-coochie see with Kate and Sawyer was *cough* really sexy *cough* The sexual tension between Jack and Sawyer during the ping pong match was brilliant. I loved it. Yes, there was sexual tension between them.

Overall, a great episode that was definitely one of the best of the season. The flashbacks tied very well into the on-island storyline and we had one of the best cliffhangers of the season.

Can't wait until the finale.

Things I Noticed/Easter Eggs:

- I really didn't want this to be brought up because I wanted you people to think I was very insightful. Anyway, as Hurley or Charlie said, Desmond, from the first flash he had, totally thought that it was Penny parachuting down.
    -Ardil-22 is PORTUGESE for Catch-22 (A great book, by the way)
    -Ms. Hawking, ring shop lady, was in Brother Campbell's picture
    -Desmond says, 'brother' because it's a habit from when he was a MIT (Monk in Training)
    -Kate loves Jack. Jack loves Juliet. Sawyer loves Kate. Juliet loves Goodwin.
    -The ping-pong ball was computer generated.
    -Charlie is writing again!
    -Bernard is mentioned! They're not dead! -Juliet is a butt-kicking, baby-saving, lying carpenter
    -The monastery has only bottled 108 cases this year

Questions:

-Who the heck is this parachutist and how does she have Des/Pen picture!??!
    -If Desmond let Charlie die, would it have been Penny instead of Naomi?
    -Will the parachutist's satphone work?
    -Was there anyone else in the helicopter that crashed?
    -Why did the helicopter crash? (We are stuck in a bloody snowglobe!!)
    -Was Naomi sent by Penny or someone else?
    -Juddging by the portugese book title, does the parachutist, Naomi, have any connection to Mathias and Henrik from the end of season 2?
    -Where the heck is John!? Aargh!
    -Was it just my ignorance about satphones or did that thing look really futuristic?
    -Why is Naomi/Parachutist there?

Dialogue:

-Come on. Obviously, I have to give some credit to the hilarious "Flash vs. Superman" argument. That was genius. For those of you who don't know, that was definitely put in there because one of the writers of this episode, Brian K. Vaughan, is a very well known comic book writer; so, he probably wanted to put something like that in there. I thought it was genius. Superman would kick The Flash's butt. Hands down.
    -The line about Sawyer making a mix-tape for Kate
    -Desmond: Thank you... brother (YAY! Now we know why!!)
    -Jack saying, "Oh, right" to Desmond when Des says he's taped a few ankles.
    -Kate: I'm up here.
    -Sawyer: You guys arguing about who's your favorite Other?

Next Week On LOST:

Sun and Jin's D.O.C. written by none other than LOST's funny men, Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. Last week I compiled a list of what I thought the order of greatness of episodes would be from Catch-22 until the finale; this episode, I think, while still being a good episode, will probably be the lesser of the 6. I'm predicting that the average TV.com rating will be between 9.0 and 9.2.

(Prediction) In order of rating:

The Man Behind the Curtain
    Through the Looking Glass
    The Brig
    Catch-22
    Greatest Hits
    D.O.C.
  • Desmond delivers with another episode that raises more questions with multiple conflicts and another great flashback...

Desmond is now easily one of LOST's best characters. In fact, if it weren't for Locke, he'd be my new favorite. Why? Because it seems that every time Desmond gets an episode that is centric around him, it is nothing but awesome. This episode was no exception.

I think that this episode did a great job of mixing the mythology along with the Season 1 type story. You see, the episode had some mythological occurrences (that helicopter, the parachutist, Rousseau's traps) while it also tackled some of the more emotional and character based sides of LOST well. The episode started off with Hurley and Charlie going at it with a fight for which superhero was faster, the Flash or Superman. While they talk, one of Rousseau's traps springs up and kills Charlie with an arrow to his throat. Although shocking, we soon find that it was only another flash of the supernatural Desmond, who may allow Charlie to die this time around. You see, Desmond may actually be willing to sacrifice Charlie since he finds that someone is coming to the island, and after learning that Penny promised that with her money that she'd rescue Desmond if he was ever in danger, Desmond believes that the one he saw in his flashback may be his true love, Penny. Unfortunately, he doesn't let Charlie in on the fact that he saw him die.

The episode is also able to be lighthearted when faced with the death of Charlie, as Hurley, Charlie, and Sawyer all make sure that they get their fair roles in the episode as the story driving comic relief. Sawyer is faced with a heartbroken Kate that uses him to get over Jack and Juliet, who later finds out from Jack what Kate's intentions really were. Jack reveals that he may have just gotten over Kate as he seems to somewhat ignore her, but it's sad to see him misled by a manipulative Juliet. Hurley and Charlie unearth the truth of the girl in the picture with Desmond and Sun tries to learn yet more English as he is tricked in going with Desmond since he thinks it is just a camping trip.

This, along with a great flashback that reveals that Desmond was once a monk that led a life of religion to find meaning in his life, pairs to make an episode that shows that the show, no matter how much bad press it receives, still kicks every other shows @ss. Now, the flashback shows us Desmond's past lover, who he left unexpectedly after he got a message from God that he needed a life of devotion to faith. Unfortunately, when his lover finds out where he's been, Desmond resumes his drinking and is "fired" from his monastic duties. His monk boss tells him that he was not meant to be a monk, but more. This then leads to a confrontation from Penny, who he meets for the first time and falls in love with immediately. The flashback is just so great since it shows the themes of both religion and destiny so well that it makes this flashback one of the better ones we've received this season.

Now, the ending is what people will be truly discussing, as we see a helicopter fall from the sky, leaving a parachutist in the jungle. Desmond believes that this person is Penny, as he finds that in the parachutist's book, Catch-22, is a picture of him and Penny. Unfortunately, he is crushed when he finds that it is some random woman that knows him as she calls "Desmond..." This raises many questions as to how she knows who she is or why she is even there, but it provides a good cliffhanger to even keep casual viewers hooked. All in all, the episode was pretty awesome, although it could've been a little better with maybe a faster pace and another smaller answer given, but I loved it anyways. Great episode!
  • Overall, this episode is another success for the third season, continuing the recent trend of strong material coming into the final stretch.

While Juliet and Ben have proven to be excellent additions to the cast, another character has been around longer and has been equally impressive. That character, of course, is Desmond. Initially dismissed as a minor addition along with the rest of the Swan Station, Desmond has become critical to the dynamic of the JackLocke tribe, taking on Locke’s visionary status since the beginning of the season.

Desmond represents a substantial contrast to the backlash against new characters on “Lost”. New characters tend to fall into two categories: the embraced and the loathed. Desmond stands with Juliet, Ben, and Eko as characters that have ultimately been accepted by the majority of fans. Others, like Ana Lucia, Nikki, and Paulo, were a constant source of contention.

This is a good thing, because Desmond is clearly connected to larger themes and concepts within the mythology, and without him, the story would be a lot less interesting. If one considers Locke to be aligned spiritually with the island, either in his own mind or in truth, then Desmond appears to be aligned with the undercurrent of unexplained phenomena beyond the island. Desmond’s experiences fall within the same realm as the psychic from “Raised by Another”, for example.

Desmond’s character has a complicated background, yet his psychology is very simple. Despite moments of apparent bravery and dedication, he is crippled by a deep cowardice. He also feels trapped by some vague sense of predestination. He’s constantly searching for meaning in his life, not unlike John Locke. The difference is that Desmond has never really felt that sense of purpose. In his own way, he reflects back on his own regrets through a filter that blinds him to the truth.

Like Juliet, Desmond wants to find a way to a specific individual: Penny. Desmond’s cowardice nearly drove her from his life, but she refused to accept that limitation. The end result was a complicated moment for Desmond. The choice to enter the race around the world was, in and of itself, an act of courage. Yet it was also another expression of his cowardice. In trying to win her father’s respect, Desmond was still running away from Penny.

This episode poses the interesting flip side to that idea. Desmond is, in fact, always running away from something. But as Brother Campbell astutely notes, whenever someone is running away from something, they are inevitably running towards something else. And if one takes predestination into account, both interpretations are part of a larger scheme.

Locke has come to believe that his destination was the island itself (though his interpretations have changed over time). Desmond has come to recognize, on some level, that he was destined to come to the island, but he’s no longer sure that the island is the final step in the journey. Taken in context with the connections to the mythology and the focus of each character, there appears to be a clear transition between Locke’s part of the story and Desmond’s part of the story. (Indeed, one is left wondering if Locke will survive the end of the season, given the signs and portents.)

All of that plays into Desmond’s mindset in this episode. Desmond’s visions present him with a difficult choice. He believes that Penny has come to the island to find him, and that his trek into the jungle will lead him to her. Unfortunately, for that to happen, Charlie must die. For whatever reason, Desmond is compelled to save Charlie from his appointed fate. Thus Desmond is forced to choose between his own happiness and the happiness of another. His choice, from a certain point of view, fits into the overall redemption model.

While the episode itself is relatively straightforward in terms of the concept’s exploration, there are interesting implications. After all, from Desmond’s point of view, he may have changed things enough that the parachutist’s identity changed because he saved Charlie. A more pragmatic interpretation would be that Desmond was making assumptions and that the identity of the new arrival was always the same, but his reaction will be consistent with his psychology.

This would appear to suggest that events can be changed. However, that wasn’t the lesson of “Flashes Before Your Eyes”. In that episode, the rule was “course correction”: minor changes might take place, but in the end, everything happens the way it was meant to happen. In other words, Desmond’s choice to save Charlie wouldn’t prevent Penny from coming to the island or acting to find and save him. It would just change how that process evolves.

That idea is subtly reinforced by the fact that Brother Campbell was in some way associated with the mysterious woman from “Flashes Before Your Eyes”. This might have been a mere thematic association on the part of the producers, since Brother Campbell’s message was not unlike Ms. Hawkings’ message, but the similarities might be deliberate. Beyond Dharma and the Others, and whatever organization stands behind all of that, there may be something far more mystical driving a “course correction” on a larger scale. The parachutist mentions Desmond by name, which suggests that the tapestry is still coming together in some fashion.

Naomi’s arrival, coming so soon after the initiation of Ben’s latest plan, is rather suspicious. On the other hand, Desmond was not one of the original survivors of Oceanic 815, so it’s unlikely that Ben would have a sense of how to manipulate Desmond at this stage of the game. If Naomi was sent by Penny to find Desmond, it would finally bring the scene at the end of the second season into context with the rest of the season. (Indeed, it has only been a couple weeks since the EMP was detected; it’s logical to assume that any operation to find Desmond would take several days to put together.)

Desmond’s choice (well described by the title of the episode) dominated the episode, but there was one relatively significant subplot. After everything they went through, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer are trying to find a new comfort zone, and Juliet is not making that easy. Despite the potential for Kate-inspired tension, Jack and Sawyer seem to have a lot more respect for each other. They may be rivals, after a fashion, but they do care about each other’s welfare.

The Jack/Sawyer dynamic was good enough to counter the disappointing turn for Kate. Once again, Kate’s actions are defined by her relationship to Jack and Sawyer, which is not a good sign. While this does reinforce the idea that her insecurities drive a need for a man’s love, the one aspect of her character that has been relatively consistent over the course of the series, it’s disappointing to see a supposedly strong female character resort to such measures. Sawyer may not object to being used (too much), but it doesn’t make it palatable.
  • Desmond episodes tend to be among the best; and though this one wasn't quite up to par with his last two, I felt it was very good. What was new was seeing a darker side of Desmond, and the interesting introcution of his story and a connection to Jacob.

Desmond leaving his former fiance a week before the wedding was interesting, because it showed us something truly bad that Desomnd has done. We have seen that the other island castaways have all done something really bad, but until now, not so much with Desmond. But Desmond has been different from the other survivors all along. Aside from not being on Flight 815, Desmond has the uique expereince of visions, and his strange journey in his flashback in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" was diiferent than every other character's flashbacks.

The story with Desmond here is deeper than may be initially recognized. The fun details (learning where Desmond picked up the "brother" expression, how he met Penny) supported a stronger story of Desmond and destiny, like how the monk told him that he may be destined for things greater than the abbey. It was also an interesting reference for the monk to mention that Desmond needs to think more about what he may be running toward, instead of what he's running from - somehting he would later paraphrase to Jack when they met while literally running at that stadium. Here, Desmond was running from who he was and what he did to his fiance, but then was apparently able to embrace what he was running toward when he met Penny (and as we know ultimately being with Penny). But, as is a common theme with Lost characters, there is question as to whether he learns from his mistakes and changes, as years later he is again concentrating on what he is running from (not being worthy of Penny) as opposed to running toward something (just being with Penny).

Jacob. Interesting reference with how the monk compares Desmond's struggles with Abraham and Isaac, as Issac (in the bible) was the father of Jacob. And we've recently heard the name Jacob referenced as the potential leader ("great man") of the Others. And being tested is another core theme of Lost, as it often seems the survivors are being tested on the island, at least tested with those things that make them not worthy of being on "the list". (as a side note not directly related to this episode, it is interesting how Jacob has now more than once been referred to as a "great man", which is exactly how the woman in Thailand who could read people described Jack).

In the present, Desmond's [almost] willingness to sacrifice Charlie exposed a darker, selfish side to Desmond than we've seen. But his inability to let Charlie die showed the better person he is. And even though he thought he was maybe being tested and failing because he keeps saving Charlie, perhaps he was being tested and passed, since his saving Charlie may have compromised his vision (of reuniting with Penny--what he wanted more than anything), but he ultimately chose to do that to save another's life, even if it meant losing out on Penny.

Finally, the Jack/Kate/Sawyer story was well-done as well. Not ground-breakingly unique or clever, but well constructed and acted. Kate obviously still has strong feelings for Jack, and that's why she felt she needed to run from seeing him with Juliet and then sleep with Sawyer. Sawyer later claims that she cold have just been straight with him, and he still would have been there for her physically, but it seems like Sawyer has developed real feelings for Kate, and his willingness to have meaningless sex was really a front to hide his pain over realizing he was just a band-aid.

The mystery at the end (of who the woman was and how she knew Desmond) will be very fun to see play out. Since she had a picture of Desmond, it wouldn't surprise me if she was sent by Penny to find Desmond, since we know by last season's finale that Penny was at least on the trail of Desmond and the island's location. Very much looking forward to the remaining episodes.
  • great episode

Desmond gets a vision of the future. In it, Charlie dies. Desmond gets Hurley, Jin and Charlie to go with him to the forest. This episode is a Desmond episode, the story focuses on his past. We get to see what he was doing before he met Penny. We also get to see Kate, Sawyer and Jack, even though their parts are minor, there's enough of them in this episode to keep us intrigued. More mysteries are presented in this episode, it's a really exciting one, the writers came up with another great episode, I can't wait for the next one.
  • Another vital episode, but not for the reason we thought at the time

It is now becoming increasingly clear that Desmond is the wild card in the island. The Others may know everything about the survivors of Flight 815, but they clearly had no idea about Desmond's existence. They didn't know about his boat, and when Juliet was getting set up in the final scene of the previous episode, she looked at Desmond without any hint of recognition at all. Because of this, there's an excellent chance that he will be the savior of those on the island. The first time this becomes possible occurs here in 'Catch-22' Once again his flashes are telling him that Charlie's life hangs in the balance, but this time, if he doesn't let fate carry through, there's a good chance that the other part of his vision won't come true--- and this time, the vision involves rescue from Penelope.

Each flashback in Desmond's past seems to be happening before the previous one, and this one has another huge shock --- he was a monk, which also explains why he calls everybody 'brother'. Furthermore, before he became a man of the cloth, he was engaged to a woman named Ruth. He left her at the altar because he believed he had a higher calling, but as always the women who love Desmond see through his facade. She tells him" next time you want to break up with someone... just tell the girl you're too bloody scared." (Unfortunately, he won't learn his lesson, will break up with Penelope for the exact same reason, and hear almost the exact same line from her.) The interesting thing comes after he breaks his vow of silence to talk with Ruth, and then proceeds to get liquored up (Desmond seems to get more drunk than anyone else on the island) He is then fired by Brother Campbell who tells him that he has some kind of destiny before him, but God isn't part of it. (Which leads us to wonder is someone else leading Des on? In the last flashback, we can see that there is a photo of Ms. Hawking, a.k.a. the ring lady from 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'. Is it possible that he is somehow leading him down this path.) Before the flashbacks ends, we also see Campbell last act was to inadvertently introduce Desmond to Penny, who is buying wine for her father.

Now that he's on the island, Desmond is no longer running. He tried to get away from his destiny before--- he ran when he thought the hatch was going to explode, got onto a boat and tried to escape--- but he couldn't get away. But now Desmond is trying to move forward, now that he sees another of his flashes, and this one seems to lead to Penelope.

We know that Penelope has been searching for the island, and now Desmond seems to get proof. But in order for his vision to become a reality, he needs Jin, Hurley and Charlie to take him on a journey. While they are out camping, they see lights in the sky, and what appears to be a helicopter, and soon evidence that someone parachuted out, and that person may well be Penny. But in order for this to work, Charlie needs to run into one of Rousseau's traps, and he has to take an arrow to the neck.

Once again, however, his basic goodness gets in his way, and he saves Charlie. But as soon he does, he thinks he has changed destiny, and that now Penny won't be there--- which would seem to be borne out by the fact that Penny is not the woman in the plane. But if you watch the flash carefully, you can see that Charlie and Jin were there while Desmond cut the woman down, meaning he had to be there in order to save her. Was the flash giving him conflicting information? Or did fate change so that Penny wasn't there? We will later see that Penny was nearby, but is it possible that she really would have saved them then?

Meanwhile, on the beach, things are returning to normal, sort of. The triangle of Jack, Kate and Sawyer has be reformed, only now, it's become a square with the coming of Juliet. Kate is glad to have Jack back, but now he's been distant and unfamiliar, and seems to favor Juliet instead of her. This leads to another shift which ends up putting Kate willingly in Sawyer's arms. He's got a catch-22 of his own in that he loves Kate, but she still seems to be carrying a torch for Jack. however, those feelings are what drive her to Sawyer's bed. However, in typical Sawyer fashion, he doesn't seem to mind that he's being used as long as he gets what he wants. He can live with this--- for now.

Whichever side of the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle you come down upon--- and I was one who didn't hold much care for either--- Desmond's love for Penny may be far more vital. Was this woman sent by Penelope? We will later learn that she wasn't. Then why did she have a photograph of Desmond with her? Why was Desmond the first word out of her mouth? We will later learn a lot about this woman--- and it will be very difficult determining how much of what she said was true. The episodes centered around Desmond's are easily becoming the most eagerly awaited of the bunch, not just because Cusick is such a fine actor or because the love story is taking on the appearance of epic proportion, but because unlike most of the people on this island, Desmond seems to be the most eager to go. He wasn't on the plane, but it's becoming clear his destiny his ensnared with those of the passengers on it. The question is, will this destiny eventually be true for everybody?
    My score:9.5
  • We have another series of flashbacks, in order to understand Desmond better this time, not his visions but his life upto the intial meeting with Jack in the stadium that time. We also see the jealousy in Kate,which causes her to have some mixed emotions.

We see Desmond going through the jungle and we see that Charlie trips a wire and gets shot in the adam's apple by a crossbow bolt, then we see a parachutist hanging from the trees and Des cutting them down. We then see that it is one of Desmonds apperitions or foretellings. We then go back to reality and see that Des is talking to Charlie, explaining that they have to go on a little hike / overnighter, Charlie is all for it, especially when Des says that he can't tell him about it yet, but that they need to rope in Hurley and Jin.

We have flashbacks to Des, this time in an abbey, talking to a monk regarding the task of silence as a test, some people take a day, some a week and some that need more time then longer. We then see Des robed and being a monk, putting labels on the bottles of wine and being told that it is £100 per bottle. Then a visitor comes into see Brother Desmond, punches him and then asks for forgiven.

We see that all the boys are packed for their boys outing, explaining to Jin the notion of camping, he is all game, so they trek along the beach until they find the cable in the sand, as foretold by Des as he pictures the events unfold as predicted. They camp the night at the spot on the beach.

Flashback time to Des, this time explaining to a girl, why with only hours to go until the wedding he called it off, even though everything was bought and paid for, she says it was a good job that he was helped up by a monk rather than a shepherd !!!!

We see Des having images in his head, a helicopter, a parachutist, a red flashing light then it is time to wait and see for it to play through, but it still has Charlie with an arrow in his neck.

We go back to the Abbey, with Des getting drunk on the wine, the head abbott not being too pleased and sacking him. Then Des handing back his robe the following day and being asked that if he helps with some loading then he'll get a lift into town. The loading is for Penny Widmore, who hits it off with Des.

The helicopter can be heard, it crashes, but he is forced to wait til first light before exploring, which they do, they find a rucksac on a rest, they prevent Charlie getting an arrow in the neck and then we see the parachutist, who calls Desmonds name, he removes the helmut but its not Penny.
  • Once again it seems the universe really wants Charlie out of the picture but what else do we see? A rope on the beach, a beacon in the sky and a parachute... hmmm...

I've been praying for Charlie's life to be spared since Des announced it way back in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" but once again the writes of Lost had me on the edge of my seat the entire episode.

The episode started off amazingly well, we got to see one of Desmond's flashes for the first time. Once again it seems the universe really wants Charlie out of the picture but what else do we see? A rope on the beach, a beacon in the sky and a parachute... hmmm... sounds like this is gonna get interesting!

I personally loved the episode, although I do think the "I have to sacrifice Charlie to save Penelope" thought could have been written better. The idea is good, thinking that if you don't copy the flashes exactly that Penelope won't appear on the island. But what bugged me was how hazy Desmond's flashes seemed. I noticed there was some sort of sail hanging in the trees (later revealed to be a parachute) but I didn't understand how Desmond could assume Penny was coming based on those images.

Anyway, to get passed that, I thought this episode was spectacular. Jin and Hurley were hilarious as always and Charlie and Desmond work so well on screen together I'd hate to see that end (however it will end remains to be seen).
  • Desmond has a new revelation...

Excellent episode!!! I don't know if anyone noticed but near the end when desmond is saying goodbye to his monk boss, they show a framed picture. The old lady jeweler from episode 8 is on it!!!! what does this mean...so interesting. The plot thickens more everytime! She was the one that told desmond to leave penny and she seems to have been in his life since before he even met Penny. This show is excellent it always has new interesting bits to add to the entire storyline and this one is certainly very interesting. I love lost its the best show ever made.
  • This is a great episode, very revealing about certain characters, and has a great little twist at the end. You will enjoy it.

This episode has to be one of my favorites this season, it's much better than Flashes before your eyes.
    This is probably because it's more to do with the island, than Desmond's little trip that explained very little.

Des' flashback wasn't that interesting, but it did give us more imput into the pre-racearoundtheworld desmond... which is nice. He was a monk... that's why he says Brotha all the time.

I loved the Skate moments... maybe a little Jate too... seeing as Kate is shacking up with Sawyer just to get her mind off of Jackiet.

This episode is great in comedy, both from Sawyer, and Hurley... and Jin is awesome too...

The Korean ghost story is probably one of the funniest things I've seen this season. I wish I had a translation for it.

Desmond's powers are shown in a more beliveable light this episode... it's cool to see how he has to make a choice between saving the woman he loves, or his friend, whom he is obligated to protect due to his foresight.

The twist at the end, wasn't as shocking as I would have hoped... but all in all, it was still pretty cool.

I give it 105 out of 108 stars.
  • Thrilling. I couldn't hold my breath until the last moment.

The chapter begins with one of Desmond's visions. In the vision, as expected, Charlie dies yet another time. Other than that Desmond sees there an aircraft passing the island's skies and a parachuter. Desmond tries to convince the 3 other people he saw in the vision: Hurly, Charlie and Jun to come with him in order to duplicate it, but he neglects to inform Charlie, that his life is once again at risk. Everything goes according to the vision, and a doubt begins to rise whether Desmond is going to sacrifice Charlie for Penny, his ex girlfriend, that he assumed he saw on the vision. On the last moment Desmond saves Charlie's life from one of "Rousseau's deadly traps". The parachuter is also revealed not to be Penny in the end...
  • wow!

Led by flashes, Desmond coaxes Charlie, Hurley and Jin on a trek across the jungle where they discover Naomi, a parachutist. Kate turns to Sawyer after seeing Jack alone with Juliet. Flashbacks show Desmond's time as a monk and his meeting Penny. What a start to an episode we all thought Charlie had it there but alas my friends it was one of Desmonds visions, but this kept us on the edge of our seats (as usual), waiting to see if Charlie gets saved or not.
    What an end aswell, another amazing twist in the Lost storyline a helicopter crash with a women survivour we have never seen before.
  • Desmond foresees Charlie's death... again.

This was certainly a peculiar episode for Desmond. It showed how he met Penelope. I certainly didn't think it was as good as the last Desmond episode, but it was ok. I yawned three times though during that part, either because I was bored, or because I was tired. Your pick.

Throughout this episode Demond foresees Charlie getting hit in the neck in the arrow, and then dying. Afterwards, he foresees Penelope coming to him. Well, after a long contemplation he finally decides to save Charlie the split second before death, but then, the girl who was exposed to be Penelope is a girl that knows who Desmond is, but is not Penelope. Mysterious...

I hate Kate now, she openly took from Sawyer that she used him to get even with Juliet and Jack. Gosh, I hope Kate gets what is coming to her. Juliet is still awesome though. It was a superb episode, not as good as the last one, but sitll good.
  • Great episode.

While nowhere near the greatness of Desmond's other centric episodes, "Live Together, Die Alone" and "Flashes Before Your Eyes", it was still a great episode. I love episodes like this, where you have to actually think about it. The flashbacks were pretty cool, I love when they get into "destiny & fate" issues. The writing was excellent in this episode. And that's not something I could say about some scenes during the last few episodes. There were some really funny scenes in this episode, I think Jin has made me laugh just as much as Sawyer this season. I think that the parachutist was sent by Penny, thus the reason she knew Desmond's name (that's who she was sent for) and that's how she had the photograph (who knows WHY but that would be HOW). We'll see.

Hurley: No, man... this is a satellite phone. Oh crap, it's busted.
    Charlie: Shocker.
  • Superb episode. Desmond living in the trap of foreseeing.

I adore the foreseeing storyline and another Desmond episode this season. Yey. What more to wish. And this one looks quite dark and not happy ending - for Charlie. And Desmond has decision to make - follow what he saw and let Charlie die in hope to find Petty or save his friend. And that is what it means to live with knowing what will happen and be afraid that your actions will change things.

Super episode. All that tracking, filling the visions, and the flashbacks. More facts about Desmond life. I adore the new character flashbacks as they are fresh and there is always something new and informing - some of the older character's flashbacks seems to get nothing new.

Good episode
  • Odysseus is tempted by...parachutes?

It’s been a long time since brother Desmond left the monastery (proving once and for all there’s an Eko inside of every man) and although he must now prove himself worthy of Penny’s heart by surrender to destiny and allow Charlie to die or she may as well be dead otherwise, the episode shows that you can leave church but church never leaves you.

Stranded altar boy himself, Charlie also has a family - as surrogate as it may be - and both Claire & Aaron remain clueless to the fact they might lose this husband and father due to a vision of the parachute that carries beloved Penelope closer to Desmond. Now, the problem is this: in order to save one he must lose the other, hence the dilemma. Which is more important? To fail to Charlie or fail to Penny to whom Desmond has already failed so much.

After painful vacilation our hero resolves it to try, once again, to save Charlie’s life as the monastery life kicks in with newfound meaning inside of him and destiny decides to slaps him gently this time around as it’s revealed that the woman in the parachute was not Penny all along and that somehow she manages to defeat her fate, all by herself, while Desmond slowly regains the honor he got stranded for so that one day Penny may hopefully see.
  • Desmond meets Penny for the first time via flashback, a new visitor arrives to the island, and Hurley, Desmond, Jin, and Charlie go camping (even though they camp everyday just by living on the island).

Really enjoyed Sawyer's 'Perverts' remark when found out The Others had a camera on his cage and also 'You two discussing which is your favourite Other' - when he saw Jack and Juliet talking.

Never could have guessed Penny and Des met at a monastery. I am glad Desmond sacrificed his own happiness by,changing events, in order to save Charlie. Desmond is a great guy and loyal friend. I think we are being led to believe that Desmond travelled back in time when the hatch imploded. However, I think what really happened is that he went into the future near the point of his death and then from there went back in time where he ended up on floor with spilled paint sharing an apartment with Penny. I think he is not seeing the future but instead remembering the past. If he only went into the past he would only remember things up until the hatch imploded but nothing after that...unless he went into the future too. It would tie-in to being able to know when to read the last Charles Dickens book before dying. Supposedly people have their life 'flash' before their eyes and Ep 8 of season 3 is called 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'. Make any sense? I think the paint can had the letters 'FUTUR' on it - I may be mistaken. It's my 2 cents anyway.
  • More mistery, more love affairs, more death of Charlie and the arrival of a new person to the island.

I won't summarize yet again what happenes in this episode, but in my opinion it's briliant. I couldn't get enough of Desmond and his visions, especially the one in which Charlie dies. Begins to look like another charachter from a popular show: "Oh my god, they killed Kenny!". Offcourse things are on a totaly different level in Lost but there is a resembelence.

This episode reveals more about Desmond and his visions. The fact that he joined and was 'fired' from the monastery is revealed. The fact that he had 'a calling' to join the monastery, like he was destined to makes me wonder if he didn't already have this abilities to predict the future and the island just greatly amplified them. It's hard to say what will come next with all this mistery but all this suppositions is the thing which makes the show so good.
  • Some food for your mind, some candy for your eyes.

Lost's super impressive Flashes Before Your Eyes will never be forgotten. Lost fans will always remember that episode, because either they thought it was perfect, or that, it was the worst episode ever.

Why is the fanbase so split up? Easy to answer. Desmond's 'ability' to see the future is almost too far fetched even for Lost. But then again ...if thanks to it, the writers can pull off well written pieces like this, no problem!

Brian K Vaughan's first addition to the series is a good one. And what a typical BKV start! Arguing about comic books(if you don't know, BKV is a very famous comic book writer).

The episode gives you a taste of what's going on, instantly. We finally get to see one of the 'flashes' of Desmond. The episode peaked in the intro - similiarly to the season 3 premiere. Intense, disturbing, and just damn creepy.

Unfortunately, Desmond's backstory is just not as intriguing as it was in the 2 previous episodes, until the last flashback sequence of course, the reappearance of the 'ring-lady' was golden - even if it was only on a photo, and realizing that the flashback led up to the big event of Desmond and Penny knowing eachother was a nice touch too.

The ending wasn't much of a shocker, as it was a little predictable, but it was definitely surprising. Whilst it may have felt like a transitional episode, it did explore some of the aspects of the show, meaningly, the island itself: the chopper seemed to struggle getting any closer to the island, is it shielded by some kind of magnetic force? Just think of Ethan's 'bumpy ride' comment.

The subplot was great. Probably one of the best. While it explored the 'triangle', it was very entertaining, and seeing Kate jealous is priceless.(And as a male, I gotta tell you, she is some real good eye candy in thongs!) Many say she's out of character, but I believe, this is one of the aspects of Kate we didn't see.... yet.

Overally, great episode, but not superb. It delivered a few punches, and probably could have if there was a little more material to work with. But still, catch-22 is a very mind bogging episode, with no major flaws.
  • Ahhh Desmond...

I do loves me the Desmond. He's always been one of the more facsinating characters, popping up in people's flashbacks all out of nowhere... He's always struck me as a pivitol character that we've only gotten a few crumbs about here and there. His story structure (unlike other characters who shall remain nameless *cough-nickipaulo-cough*) has been expertly executed, with enough hints to get you curious and enough answers to keep you from throwing the television over the balcony. Tossing the obvious Kate/Jack/Sawyer tension into this episode was a good move rather than wasting a whole hour on that soap opera. Not saying get rid of it, but it's more a back story than front page news - until their love triange once again becomes a pivitol plot point, of course. All in all I gotta say I'm getting happy about the second half of the third season. I've waited the Lost guys out through a rocky couple of months, but they're finally starting to deliver again.
  • Has rescue fianlly arrived?

Following Desmond's last two centric episodes, both of which are favourites of mine, the earliest of which, "Live Together, Die Alone", Season 2's finale, is currently at time of writing this review my favourite episode of the series, the anticipation of "Catch 22" was well-deserved. So too was the payoff that this episode should have rewarded us. However, this episode is a slight disappointment. On one hand it provides us with an old fashioned adventure, something that prior to perhaps the Enter 77 arc, was sadly absent from the series. The adventure had been something that had been missing from the first half of the season when we were stuck in the cages of the Hydra Island. But once Kate decides to embark on her "Rescue Jack" mission [perhaps the best thing that Kate has done for the series so far] the adventure we all loved from the first seson returned.
    And even though there have been more stalls in between the sense of adventure has returned. In "Catch 22" the adventure feels like it was inspired by Season 1's "Numbers" and so it is rather ironic that "Rousseau's spiky death traps" and the Cable, two things that were memorable parts of that episode return here. Unfortunately, the same excitement that "Numbers" generated from that Jungle quest isn't mirrored here and this brings up the other hand of "Catch 22", which is that despite the promise of adventure the episode doesn't feel adventurous enough. Much of the first half of the episode is spent amongst the survivors arguing over Desmond's visions and his attempts to form the camping party. All this provides some comic moments but is also largely uneccesary and only stalls the adventure to come. When they do start their trek all that seems to happen for a while is whistling, ghost stories told round the camp fire and more arguments over the visions Desmond has. It is not until Charlie's near death that things start to get interesting.
    Elsewhere on the island thelove triangle or quadrangle now, is given some quality time, which drags the episode even more.
    The potential for the episode, as promised with the shocking teaser, doesn't reveal itself until the very end when Desmond sees the fallen Parachutist in the tree. This moment when the identity of the parachutist is revealed is perfectly mixed with the flashback in which Desmond meets Penny. The emotion and anticipation of that final moment builds well and Henry Ian Cusick's performance in this moment is great to behold. You're left wondering who the hell the parachutist is when it is revealed not to be Penny. If it wasn't for this final moment, the mini-adventure, and Charlie's near-death experience then this episode would have fared less for me. It was particularly nice to see the Cable again. The last time we saw it was Season 1 and since then some fans were wondering what the heck is was for and if it was connected to an underwater station. Mikhail mentioned an underwater beacon and that cables run down to it in "Enter 77" and "Par Avion". Despite not giving us any information on the cable and its purpose, in light of the exposition that had gone before, fans convinced in themselves that an underwater DHARMA station existed and that they would one day see it. Their prayers were duly answered by the end of the season.
    For all those fans that didn't lie awake at night thinking about Cables, the rest had forgotten about it. Despite Hurley and Sayid respectively discovering the cable only 2 months ago island time, it feels like an eternity for the viewers, even without the live first broadcasts.
    The writers keep risking showing us something and then not raising it back up until several seasons later. We don't even know what Adam and Eve are yet and they were discovered before even the Cable.
    However, returning to the cable in this episode, onlyt helps to allay fears that the writers don't know what they are doing. Even if they don't know what they are doing at least they don't forget things that have introduced seasons ago and this is a good sign.
    Lost gets sexed up again in this episode as a seductive Kate visits Sawyer's tent for some sex. All this lovey-dovey stuff is not necessary to the Lost plotline but it does help keep Lost an all-rounder. Lest we forget that the series isnot just a sci-fi series and not just about an island. One thing that did peturbe me was the fact that there wasn't that much tension with Juliet this episode. Sawyer was all over Juliet with threats in "One of Us" but in this episode he remains at bay and any suspicions with Jack are held off too. Why would Sawyer be so reticent with Jack, enough to play Table Tennis with him or joke to him in front of Juliet. Luckily suspicions are raised again soon but this seems a little inconsistent, reminding me of when Claire was abducted and the next thing that Jack and Kate did was argue over a case.
    Lost does not want to repeat this literary technique too often. Lost is a series which relies on its momentum and you feel that it is building at this stage of the series. And it would only get better.....
  • Good grief, Desmond!

I don't really care about Charlie, but seeing him get shot in the throat is one of the most gut-wrenching things I have ever seen. I almost lost my dinner! Of course, it was just a flashback. But when it came time for it to actually happen, I almost believed for a moment that it would come to pass! I was on the edge of my seat. Undoubtedly the most suspenseful moment of the series so far. I still don't understand why Charlie had to die for Desmond to find "Penny". Wouldn't that have slowed them up more?
  • Desmond leads Hurley Jin and Charlie on a "camping" trip. The love square continues with Kate,Jack, Sawyer and everyone's favourite spy Juliet.

Another Desmind centric episode equals another fantastic episode with some heart felt scenes and solid acting. Overall for me a great memorable episode that furthers us into the final stretch of the third season. Desmonds sees in his mind Hurley and Jin finding a cable on the beach that leads them to the jungle where Charlie is killed when he steps on one of Rousseau's traps. This all ultimately leading to the arrival of Penny and so Desmond convinces them all to join them but not fully telling them all especially Charlie why they must come. Desmond doesn't want anything to be altered so he can be sure the guest will be arriving. Some very hilarious scenes along the way including Jin's ghost story in korean. Back at the beach Kate sees Juliet and Jack spending more time together so out of jealousy and misery she goes after Sawyer. This was all fine and dandy to me as it didn't take up too much time as served nicely as a filler b plot story for the episode. Also at first I didn't really care for the flashbacks Desmond as a monk? wtf? who cares? but then as it went along I understood the reason for them as it shows how he came to meet Penny and why he struggles with the decision to not sacrifice Charlie. Later on the gang hears a helicopter and then someone eject from it and land. Later they set out to find the mystery person however Desmond alters events and tackles Charlie so he's not hit by the arrow from Rousseau's trap. Charlie confronts Desmond about this and is understandbly upset although in the end Desmond did save him....again so you would think he would be a little more grateful yeesh I hate Charlie i'm ready for him to die. Anyways the gang finally finds the person and gets them down and in probably one of the most heartwrenching scenes for me in Lost Desmond thinks he is reunited after 3 years with Penny only to find a mysterious name who knows his name. Unfortunately I read spoilers I wish i hadn't for this episode cause I knew a new female character was arriving although even if i hadn't it seems to early for it to have been Penny although I really wanted it to be. All in all a very enjoyable episode.
  • so a monk

Yes it is flashback for desmond type

double infact

desmond has one of his visions : somebody is coming to the island, so he prepairs for it by gathering everybody he saw in the vision, the only thing is he also saw charlie with an arrow through his throat, fun indeed

in a flashback we see desmond as a monk, turns out he was going to marry and ended up in a monastary, the big monk is not sure about desmond becomming a monk sawyer disides to get back to what is normal play;s a bit of ping pong with jack and visits kate to see well if he can get some

he catches her just as she is dressing (i have a feeling that when she says "i am over here" when sawyer is staring at her she is actually talking to all men boy what a body)

turns out she is not in the mood, well a ladies prerogative i guess

our quest group (hey it includes a former hobbit) is on the beach for the night when they here a helicopter, it crashes but something/one falls into the jungle

We see another flashback desmond gets one on the nose from some guy (his bride;s brother) and we see him with her explaining, not sure she is is convinces either

kate tries to connect with jack but looks he is not interested in her that way and he goes of to have dinner with a certain blond other

desmond gets kicked out, and as a last job he helps to put some cases of whine in a car, and look, its penny (so now we now 2 things how desmond meets penny and what the reason for that annoying "brother" thing is that he always says this pisses her off, and you know that there is only one thing to do, yes jump sawyer, ah the ways of love and lust.

the group go into the jungle and reach the place where charlie will die, but eventhough desmond thinks it will change all that he wants, he cannot do it and manages to pul l charlie out of the way

sawyer starts to wonder about why kate jumped him (why god why would he) and soon realizes that jack being with juliet has something to do with it

the group find the pilot in a tree the cut the body lose and hey it makes a sound it is alive

desmond opens the helmet (hope did not have a neckinjury!) and looks at the face of p.. no actually nessa (las vegas style) sorry des i know you thought it would be penny but hey life sucks
  • It was a bit predicable and Desmond isn't as interesting as he used to be. But this show still had it's moments and good ones at that.

Not wanting to end on a negative note, I'll get my points out first.
    Not having read ant spoilers beforehand, I could tell from the opening that Charlie wasn't going to die. The arrow was definitely good for its shock value, but something in me pegged it as one of Desmond's 'flashes.' Also, I figured later Desmond would do the right thing and alter his flash by saving Charlie. Somehow, I didn't 'feel' it was Charlie's time.
    Secondly, as much as I like Desmond's character, these flashbacks weren't nearly as interesting as the previous two of his episodes. Though I do like seeing how him and Penny got together.

The best parts of this episodes were the secondary stories. Seeing how Juliet and Jack are together is nice, but makes me wonder if he himself isn't also a plant by the Others. But watching Sawyer approach Jack all...well Sawyer-y, telling him there's some things he needs to learn since being gone, like he's going to declare himself the new boss, but then whipping out ping pong paddles instead.....that was wonderful, seeing those two actually getting along for a change.

I had no doubt the helicopter pilot wasn't going to be Penny. When you're that rich, you don't go off into the middle of nowhere looking for something. You send a scout to recon the are, and report back any info you find, which is exactly what I believe the actual pilot was doing. So unfortunately all that build up never held any real emotion for me.
  • A new arrival marks the establishment of the final phase of the season.

Of the loose ends from the season two cliffhanger, two haven't been addressed: Michael and Walt on the boat and the discovery of the island by the Portuguese men. Many speculated how much time would be devoted to this storyline this season, and whether we'd be taken off the island for a long period for Penelope's quest. Since they decided to keep the real-time story island based and that it would take some time to get the available crew to the area, it makes sense that we wouldn't hear a follow up until now. So with that we turn to another Desmond story. It is the least satisfying of the three we've seen so far, but considering the two prior, it's still a solid episode laying the foundation for the conclusion of the season. His flashbacks in this episode served more to deepen our understanding of Desmond and his cowardice than provide major revelations, unless how he came to call everyone "brother" counts.

Desmond, like Locke, is driven by faith and destiny. After a drunken night before his wedding, he met a monk and decided that a life devoted to the church was where he was supposed to be. That decision reflected a deep cowardice towards his relationship with Ruth, who clearly took it hard. Instead of facing the fact that he wasn't in love or ready for marriage, he used fate as a justification for it.

Unlike Locke, Desmond hasn't had the sense of a higher purpose. Desmond feels his life is leading somewhere, but he doesn't know what that is. Anytime he made a mistake in his life, he considered it merely a step towards his destiny. In the flashbacks, his ill advised time in the monastery lead him to the love of his life. While Locke has gone for big signs (finding his missing father, crashing on the island), Desmond is picking up anything that comes by and reading it as a sign of his higher calling.

Ruth's comments about Desmond placing so much importance upon who found him after his stupor offer an ironic foreshadowing. Eventually in the hatch, Desmond was discovered by a Shepard (Jack, albeit a different spelling than the profession). When Desmond contemplated suicide, it was Locke's anguish that pulled him back from the brink. It's never been clear, but it would be interesting to know what Desmond thought about the castaways breaking in to the hatch.

When he was first introduced, there were hints of Desmond's cowardice, as he bolted towards the then unknown "Elizabeth" when the computer malfunctioned. After several more instances, it has become a defining aspect of his character. Now we're given a scenario where Desmond's behavior is in a different light. Desmond believes he has two possible outcomes: reunite with Penny or save Charlie. With the story of Abraham and Isaac on his mind, he's wondering if saving Charlie is ultimately going against the fate he believes in. However, his active way of sparing Charlie could be the first step to his redemption. He's willing to give up something he wanted for the safety of another and not ready to accept things outside of his control.

Desmond's last flashback (so to speak) explained that the weird premonitions he had were flashes of future events, primarily involving Charlie's death. This episode shows what he meant by flashes. It's understandable that these are taking a toll on Desmond, as the random scattered images of events to come would be traumatizing to see played out repeatedly and to have no power over them. Whether he can learn to control this will likely be a major piece of his story.

It also set up the notion of "course correction". While Desmond has the ability to change what will happen in his flashes, this will change the "image". Preventing something bad in one instance could set up for another bad thing later. In this case, it is Charlie's death, which recurs in different ways every time after Desmond saves him. This explains Desmond's mindset, as he is unsure whether saving Charlie will prevent him from his reunion.

Unlike prior confirmed flashes, Desmond had an active role in making the trek in the jungle happen (besides Charlie dying), including bringing people along for the sole reason of them appearing in the flash. Would they have gone had Desmond not gotten the vision? Would they have gone out into the jungle had they stayed on the beach? Could they even hear the helicopter crash into the ocean from their camp? Such circular thinking makes this episode's title especially appropriate.

This brings up many questions about the function of the flashes. It's possible that they are a self-conscious entity and wanted Desmond to go into the jungle to find the parachutist, so they sent him a vision of the future where it happened. Perhaps Ms. Hawking was the manifestation of that, much like The Architect of "The Matrix" films.

Ms. Hawking, whom Desmond encountered in "Flashes" appears briefly in a horribly doctored photo (it's like they just cut them out of other pictures and pasted them together). Is there a difference between that woman and the person Desmond encountered in his first flash or did the entity assume her form? It would be far more compelling them be the same and to have her working with Brother Campbell to guide Desmond to the island, which gives more weight to the popular "recruiter theory".

Much like "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead", we get a bunch of great comic scenes between Hurley, Charlie & Jin. Storytime with Jin was a highlight (I actually saw this episode with a native Korean speaker, who gave the rest of us the gist as to what the story was) and Charlie and Hurley's debate over who would win in a foot race feels like the type of conversation they should be having more often.

The introduction of the parachutist, later named Naomi, is the effective starting point for the conclusion of the season. As Ben prepares for his major attack on the castaways, having a new person thrown in the mix could turn out to be a major problem for him, since he won't be able to gather as much intel as possible about her (it hasn't been mentioned how much The Others know about Desmond).

With the Portugese copy of "Catch-22" and a copy of Desmond's photo, it's a safe assumption that she is among those we saw in the listening station from "Live Together, Die Alone", who were Portugese as well. It obviously took a few weeks for them to assemble and get there as well, so the timeline fits.

Producers had teased of a new, non-flashback, non-castaway, non-Other, character, and she is presumably it. While some, with Nikki and Paolo still fresh in their minds, may roll their eyes at this new arrival, it seems like the logical next step, which has been hinted at in "One of Us". For the first time, we're going to see how the outside world has reacted to Flight 815.

The least compelling of the storylines this week involved Kate's jealousy over Juliet and Jack's bonding. Too much emphasis is placed on which man Kate will choose, and ultimately her character suffers because of it. What would be compelling is to explore this from an alliance point of view. Although she helped Claire, Juliet still isn't on solid ground with everyone and Jack's prolonged absence could seriously affect his leadership status. Or they could've mentioned the consequences of the late night trysts between Kate and Sawyer. As mentioned several times, it's not likely there are a lot of reliable birth control methods on the island (unless they don't want to offend some people by showing Dharma condoms or birth control pills).

Ultimately, this episode does a good job setting up the stage for the final episodes, with certain elements brought back to the front that will become pivotal. More time is given to develop Desmond's flashes, which will likely be a major force in Desmond's story.
  • Coming off last week's unbelievable episode, this one paled in comparison.

I usually love the Desmond episodes, but this one was just okay. We got some wonderful moments. I loved the campfire scenes with Jin and Hurley and I loved the fact that Marsha Thomason has now landed on the island. Have I mentioned how much I loved her on Las Vegas?

And how much longer is Desmond going to have to save Charlie? I'm kind of getting sick of this whole thing. Just kill him and get it over with. Yes, I am morbid like that. But seriously, he's dragging the whole group down. I thought for an instant though that Desmond might have gotten hit by the arrow when he threw Charlie to the group. I would not have been able to deal with his death.

For a complete review of the episode, head to my site: http://www.thetvwatcher.com/lost3_17.html

Enjoy.
  • Will Desmond sacrifice Charlie for the greater good of the people on the Island? Nah. Oh, and the Sawer/Kate thing is really lame.

Catch-22 was kind of a so-so episode. I never really bought into the idea that Desmond would let Charlie die. However, the flash-back shot of him taking an arrow in the throat was pretty cool.

What really bothered me about this episode is how the Sawer/Kate story took a 180 degree turn. I thought Sawer was upset with Kate because he thought she only slept with him out of sympathy because was going to die. After that turned out to not be the case Sawer started being rude to Kate. Now all of a sudden he’s walking up to her and saying, “Hey, let’s get it on. Please!”. That just doesn’t seem to fit his character.
  • Screamer

If I could classify this episode I would call it a screamer because when I'm watching an episode that has me on the edge of my seat I get so excited/scared that I started screaming...well more like squeks. ANYWAY! At the begining I freaked out. Seeing Charlie die like that made me really mad. I don't really like Charlie that much but I definatly didnt want him to just die like that. But about half-way through the clip I realised that it was a vision and I calmed down. From that point on it was a very solid episode. I love that Sawyer and Jack are acting like buddies. Kate is seriously starting to bother me now because she is using Sawyer. She needs to make up her mind and either fight for Jack or go with the right choice and choose Sawyer :). Charlie and Hurley's talk about the Flash and Superman had me laughing. I love them together. And I was screaming yet again when they got to the parachutist. I wanted it so badly to be Penny. I was going around all week telling people it would be Penny. I shouldn't have been so nieve lol. Of course it wouldn't be Penny. Who is this Naomi chick tho? My guess is that she works for Penny (obviously) and was sent to find him. I can't wait for Wendsday!

btw this in my opinion was the best of the season
  • Getting tired of saving Charlie! (SPOILER)

This episodes focus on Desmond flashbacks as a monk and how he met Penny. Desmond see himself in a very difficult choise, let Charlie die to save someone he thinks is Penny, or save Charlie and lost his chance with Penny. What would you do?! Even knowing that Charlie will die anyway sonner or later?!
< 1 2 3 4