A Lost Community
ABC (ended 2010)
Lost's season finales set the bar high early on - if you had to pick one, which is it?

Here's a quick refresher. Note: Spoilers for all:

1) Season 1's "Exodus" ended on the show's biggest cliffhanger, a light shining out of the newly discovered hatch. The first season's huge ratings would never recover, but this twist cemented the hardcore fans' love for the show. With a summer to ponder what was inside the hatch, the show established wild speculation as the norm.

2) Season 2's "Live Together, Die Alone" revealed Ben Linus as the leader of The Others, outed Michael as a killer, and showed us what happens if the button isn't pressed every 108 minutes. Season 2 was widely criticized for the long, slow buildup that resulted in Desmond's reveal and the lack of answers to accompany dozens of new, intriguing mysteries. That said, the finale paid off big time by putting a charismatic face in change of the previously mysterious Others. Here's an old promo to re-live the build up:

3) Season 3' "Through the Looking Glass" brought a huge showdown with The Others, the show's most heartbreaking moment in "Not Penny's Boat," an escape from the island and Jack's maniacal "We have to go back! - perhaps the show's very best twist. Some have argued that the show could have stopped right here and been better off.

4) Season 4's "There's No Place Like Home" brought a shortened season of waiting for the freighter to a close with lots of violence, the island "moving," and the long awaited introduction of time travel. While there were great scenes throughout, I expected a much greater pay-off from a season that embraced the exciting flash-forward device.

5) Season 5's "The Incident" was probably my least favorite season and finale, with Jack's bomb resulting in the show's most painful and confusing cliffhanger. For many, time travel greatly confused Lost's plotting and the made it impossible to deliver a satisfying season finale.

6) Season 6's "The End"

While I'm not looking to re-start the discussion about the quality of Lost's series finale, it's worth noting that even the actors were heartbroken to reach the end...

poll

22 Comments
Comments (22)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
For me I think Exodus is marginally ahead of Through the looking glass. What was in the hatch was probably the biggest cliffhangers on television. The shot of Jack staring down the hatch and the lead up to blowing it up was one of the pivotal moments in the show. Just beating out Jack´s flash forward moment of ¨We have to go back Kate! We have to go back!¨

Season 5´s The incident is 3rd for me, Juliet´s death was especially poignant. Followed by Season 2´s Live Together Die alone. The End is next because the flash sideways was really a debacle despite the on-island stuff being entertaining and quite moving. Finally, I put s4´s There´s no place like home as last. The main reason being, by that stage, we already knew who had made it out off the island, so there were no real surprises although the island moving was fairly shocking.
Flag
Man, I miss this show.
Flag
I'm probably a minority here but my favorite was Live Together, Die Alone".
Flag
I've just seen the first three so far, but I loved the end of season two. S3's was awesome too, but S2's was more satisfying to me,
"I was wrong."
Flag
Season 3's finale was flawless .. i still get teary-eyed when watching the "Not Penny's boat" scene. The actors portrayed their emotions perfectly there.
Flag
It was the lack of answers in season 2 and the build up that I loved, it really enthralled me. So, season 2 for me, but I'm splitting hairs .
Flag
Its a four-way tie because I cant decide what was the best.
1.Live together die alone
1.Through the looking glass
1.The incident
1.The end
5.Exodus
6.Theres no place like home

They are all so good but the season 1 and 4 finales were definitely weaker. They are no where near terrible but the season 4 finale is my least favorite episode in that season.
Flag
For me its...

1.Season 3 - 9.8/10
2.Season 2 - 9.5/10
3.Season 1 - 9.4/10
4.Season 4 - 9.4/10
5.Season 6 - 8.9/10
6.Season 5 - 8.8/10
Flag
I would say Exodus,because it was the first and I love the scene with Jack and Sawyer about Christian.The opening of the hatch and the Others taking Walt.I also love the twist at the end of Through The Looking Glass.They were all good to me,but I love the first best.
Flag
For me, its still the one the islad disappears: time travel gave the show something the suprnatural, the epic and the romance never did.
Flag
My favorite Lost finales (from best to worst):

3-5-1-4-2-6
Flag
1. Through the Looking Glass
2. The End
3. Live Together, Die Alone
4. Exodus
5. The Incident
6. There's No Place Like Home

This was tough to choose. Lost always had the best finales. Each finale felt like an event, you know? There hasn't been a television show since, in my opinion, that went completely gangbusters with finales quite like Lost. Even There's No Place Like Home was a heck of a ride, making it that much tougher to rank this list. Lost finales were always my favorite episodes to watch, and perhaps even moreso to look forward to.
Flag
Thats interesting that you dislike the season 5 finale, because the end nof The Incident was definitely the part of Lost that brought me into a OMG BRING THE FINAL SEASON NOW attitude, like, I have to see how this sends now. Now the ending was a disaster, but when Juliet fell down that hole I gotta admit, I was heartbroken.

I understand the love of Through The Looking Glass, but don't get the hate on The Incident. I loved the question it asked, whether or not the losties have changed their destiny. I often think it should've ended there and the fans should've just guessed the ending. But at the same time...no
Flag
I completely agree! I couldn't wait for the Final Season and the promise it had in store. ...then it arrived, and it was simply not very good. And the Season 6 finale goes down in history as, not just the worst finale of Lost, but one of the worst finales of all times. It still hurts me to this day to say that.
Flag
Season 3 was a great TV moment and deserves my vote. But a close second would be the heartbreaking moment of Juliets death at the end of season 5. She and James were the couple that the fans were rooting for and it was a big character loss.
Flag
Charlie's death is probably the most heartbreaking scene in television I have ever seen. My vote goes to Not Penny's Boat.
Flag

'Nuff said
Flag
All right, well, I voted for Season 6 because I'm one of the ones that loved the way Lost ended. There. I said it :D

That said, I also really liked Season 3's finale and Season 4's as well. Season 3's was great in the twist at the end, when you realized it was a flash forward (though I have to say, before the twist was revealed, those flashbacks were a bit annoying... more self-destructing Jack was sort of boring by then). Season 4's was great because, thanks to the flash-forwards all season, you had some pieces of the puzzle, as to who was getting of the island. You knew Jin was 'dead.' And so it was just waiting to see how all the inevitable pieces would come together, and I really liked that.
Flag
I agree, i love the ending of Lost. But i hated the entire season 6 island storyline, except for Richard's back story and the finale. But all of the season finales had something good in them. Season 1 finale hooked me on the show. The season 2 finale was shocking. Season 3's surprised me with the flash forward scenes. Season 4 and 5 finales were very sad to me. The finales are probably why, this is my favorite series of all time.
Flag
I'm with you. The finale was moving!

I think criticism of the finale is better placed on season 6 as a whole. It was a strange season that really kind of took a left turn. But the finale was near perfect.
Flag
That's exactly how I feel, too - Season 6 as a whole wasn't that great; it certainly meandered its way around into some odd places. But I loved the finale and how it wrapped everything up.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members