Lost

Confirmed Dead

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 07, 2008 on ABC

• The freighter folk arrive, and a whole new set of problems come with them

We've known since 'D.O.C.' that Oceanic 815 was supposedly recovered from the bottom of the ocean floor a few weeks earlier. In the teaser of 'Confirmed Dead', we actually get stock footage from underwater cameras supposedly confirming that the plane crashed, and that there were no survivors. At the time, our first instinct may have been "Maybe the writers have been lying to us about the island being purgatory". Then with all the furor over Naomi's arrival and the subsequent attempts to contact the freighter, we let that all go. Now we meet some of the people on that freighter, and find that they all believed that this was a lie.

In the flashes, we get impression of the four people who came aboard the helicopter. The first one is Daniel Faraday, the man who parachuted down asking for Jack in the last minute of the previous episode.. Daniel seems more than a little scattered when he arrives on the island--- though he seems open and honest, it appears that he's talking a little too much. Furthermore, when we see him in the teaser, he looks a bit like he's suffering from some kind of breakdown (otherwise why would he cry when he sees the wreckage, and then say he didn't know why?) The other members of the team keep warning him not to speak, and they seem more than a little disdainful of him.

The next one we meet is Miles Straume, who seems more openly disdainful of the idea that the plane has crashed. He actually seems to have a supernatural skill in that he seems able to talk to the dead. When he lands on the ground, he seems certain that he's landing in the midst of hostiles, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble openly lying. He wants to assume command, but even after being taken hostage he doesn't reveal a single thing. There might be a reason to bring him to the island--- after all, there are a lot of dead people.

Charlotte Lewis is the wild card of the bunch. It's hard to know what an anthropologist needs to work here, but she seems to know more about the island than the others. She didn't seem surprised to find the skeleton of a polar bear in the Tunisian desert, or that this bear had a Dharma collar. Of the group, she seemed openly happy when she emerges from the water, and the most surprised when she found that there were survivors. But she must have come prepared, otherwise why would she be using a bulletproof vest in the middle of the jungle.

All three of these characters would be named regulars. Though we won't find it out for a while, they all have a connection with the island. However, the flashbacks that have the most potential involve characters who aren't regulars. Frank Lapidus is the most vocal in his disbelief that the recovered flight is Oceanic 815, and we learn his reason right away ---- he was supposed to be the original pilot. He flew the helicopter that brought everybody to the island, and managed to bring it down without crashing (which, given what we saw in the teaser was a minor miracle). But he also knows instantly that Juliet is a native of the island, and though he talks about making multiple trips back and forth, he manages to avoid saying if he'll take the survivors with him.

The last flashback involves Naomi and is the most mysterious. The man who assembled the team was none other than Matthew Abbadon, the man who threatened Hurley in the last episode (Suddenly his question: "Are they still alive?" makes a lot more sense.) He is equally adamant when Naomi questions him in saying "There were no survivors." Perhaps that is the real mission of the people on the freighter. It doesn't, however, explain why Naomi had such a detailed covered story about being there on behalf of Penelope Widmore, or why she didn't seem interested at all in Ben Linus (we'll get to that in a minute). The mission seems to depend on these four people making on the island. But as we will later learn that wasn't even the real purpose of the freighter. Was there another mission that we don't know about? We won't learn that for a while.

It seems strange that none of these people seem willing to reveal any information about the mission they are on. But then again, how does that make them different from the survivors themselves? When Locke tells his band that the reason he killed Naomi was because Walt told him to, Sawyer then follows with "What, you didn't ask any follow up questions?" It's a funny line, but it belies a bitter truth: has anybody been asking any follow-up questions. No one knows what Kate really did, or that Sawyer was a con artist, or that Locke was paralyzed, or that Hurley is a millionaire. Everybody has been keeping secret, and no one wants to share. Maybe that's the real reason that the Others have seemed to have so many advantages--- they know the survivors secrets better than the passengers themselves.

It's also interesting to compare Jack and Locke's response to the arrival of the freighter folk. Jack seems more than willing to help Daniel find Miles, mainly because despite the fact that he has a gun, he doesn't view him as much of a threat. When Miles says that the only way he'll believe the story about Locke killing Naomi is if they take her to her body, again he just accepts this as something to file away for a later date Just as Miles thinks that he has an advantage, Sayid and Juliet emerge with weapons ready to shoot.

Meanwhile, Locke seems a lot less concerned. Perhaps that's because his faith in the island has been restored. When he stands in the rain, he looks exactly like he did in Season 1 when there were storms and he knew almost instinctively that they were going to break. He doesn't even seem bothered by the fact that Ben nearly killed him. We finally learn how he survived: the bullet was a through and through. Then he says, if he'd had a kidney, he'd be dead. Ergo, he was meant to be conned by his father, because that destiny ended up saving his life.

When the group encounters Charlotte, Hurley seems more than willing to tell her everything, but Locke holds back, trying to hold her prisoner. He then gets completely taken by surprise when Ben breaks loose and tries to kill Charlotte (Hell, he would've succeeded if not for that self same bulletproof vest). It's hard to understand why Locke is so determined to keep Ben around. Sawyer wants to kill him, and only seems to hold off because Hurley indicates not to. (They've come a long way from Sawyer calling him Jumbotron a few weeks ago, but I'm thinking that after what Hurley did on the beach, Sawyer finally seems to be respecting him. Hell, he's even calling him Hugo.) Then Ben tries to curry favor by saying that he has secrets about the island, and then says he knows nothing about 'the monster'. (This I didn't believe for a second; if Juliet knew about it, I'm sure as hell Ben would have some idea what it was. Later episodes will demonstrate he knew a lot more about it than he was willing to tell.) And then he changes the game by giving a complete history of Charlotte to Locke's crew along with a record of all the other people on the chopper, and then the fact that they're here to get him. (Which raises the question again, where is he getting his information. Assuming that he was able to use the computers to gets files on the survivors of Oceanic 815, the electronics have been on the fritz since Desmond blew the hatch. If Ben only knew about the freighter after Mikhail told him {admittedly, that's a big if}, how would he get all of his intelligence, even if he does have a man on the boat? Am I over thinking this because it seems like a pretty obvious hole in the plot?)

If nothing else, this episode does a great job of introducing four radically different characters to us, all of whom are played by fine actors. Even though our hearts and minds automatically belong to the survivors, Jeremy Davies, Rebecca Mader, Ken Leung and Jeff Fahey are all impressive actors, and after knowing them for less than an hour, we seem to have a pretty good handle on all four. Of course, this being Lost, there are obvious a lot of secrets hiding below the surface, and we will start getting evidence that these people may know more about the island then they're telling. However, it's interesting that they don't seem dangerous in the way that the Others did, or sinister in the way Abaddon does in his brief appearance. (My guess is they wanted to use Lance Reddick more than they gave him time for, but he was still busy on The Wire and they didn't use him right). They just seem different, a little at sea, to make an appropriate pun. Even the fact that they're there to get Ben isn't by itself sinister; we know he's a dangerous man. They're as suspicious as we are, which means that the game is about to shift again
    My score: 9
  • Follows the Season Premiere!!!

Plot Details/Objective - » (8/10). Every season of Lost, new characters are introduced, but this time they decide to come with 4 new characters, and all of them seems that they will stay a little longer. Contrary to Nikki and Paulo, the Producers guaranteed a short sequence of flashbacks, connecting everyone of them to the Island somehow. And Ben have something to say too. The only problem is that our favorites survivors on TV don´t have nothing to do, so the writers complicated the 4 new character life´s and tied them with Jack/Locke tribe looking for them.

What I Like/Disliked -» Michael Emerson acting is pure gold. The new mysterious characters like Miles and Dan, which can uncover some of the mysteries of this Island. The ending was nice too.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Another good presentation and I think everybody liked to see another point of view.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Nothing too special, but was good enough to keep you interest.

Climax -» (7/10). Almost didn´t notice where the climax was, but was near the ending.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). Better than the last weak episode, since things are more interesting now.

Flashbacks Sequences -» (9/10). First time this happens and I think that every one o single Scene introduced very well more intriguing mysteries.

Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10). Another Trek like the last episode, but overall things are Ok.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Some dialogues between some of the characters was very interesting, but Michael Emerson stole the moment.

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

Suspense/Tension -» (7/10). You don´t Know what the news Arrivers want, so you don´t Know who is dangerous and if Jack/Locke are in danger.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (10/10). The 5 flashbacks sequence introduce new mysteries, hints and doubts.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The beginning of this episode Is about confirmation, but the end have a surprise too.

Thoughts Changer -» None. Nothing that could trick you or change you thoughts/opinion in something.

This episode continues to build the plot in a solid and sometime great ways, that make you interesting in what could happen. I don´t think that this episode is better than the season premiere, but it is almost very similar, only a little behind.
  • Continues to Be Great!!!!

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

• Continues to Be Great!!!!

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

• The writers attempt to shake off their new character curse that was in Paulo and Nikki and introduce the Freighter Folk.

After the perfect set-up episode, "The Beginning of the End", it was now time to move the plot forward considerably the introduction of four new characters and with it new plot threads and situations on the island. Once again LOST manages to inject itself with fresh ideas and concepts, at theright time, keeping audiences interested in the overall saga unfolding. Despite fans knowing late in Season 3 that a Freighter load of new characters would be arriving to the island in the future, the fact that it has now happened hasn't lessened its impact. Each season has had its own focus, both thematically and characterization. Season 1 was focused on the survivors of the Fuselage camp, introducing the basic themes and mysteries of the island, that continue to expand as the series went on, and also focused on the general relationships between this camp of survivors and their attempts to survive on the island and to escape from it. Season 2 focused on the Tail-End survivors, led by Ana-Lucia, the Swan Station and introducing the DHARMA Initiative, more about the Others and the survivors struggles to live on the island on a long-term, perhaps, permanent basis. Season 3 was the focus on The Others and much of the plot threads dealt with them, their lifestyle, their relationships, their intentions and their history. It gave us much more insight into the DHARMA Initiative and how much of an impact they have had on the locations on the island, three new stations and the introduction of time travel and possible salvation from the island, in the form of Freighter lady, Naomi Dorrit. Season 4 is about the Freighter Folk, and like The Others in Season 3, are likely to be the driving force behind all the main plotpoints. But the season also hints at the future when at least six people escape the island.
    The four new characters introduced here are all very unique, the best, perhaps being nervy, scatty Daniel Faraday, whose scientific expertise is likely to tap very strongly into the island's mysteries pretty soon. Being spoilery it is surprising that the other characters haven't revealed as much about the island, as is to be expected. That gripe aside, the new characters are great additions.
    "Confirmed Dead" does go straight to the ultimate question: "What the Freighter Folk want?" and they answer it: Ben! the episode does leave more room for questions, but this is a good start and proves that the writers are not going to dillydally too much before revealing things, as they have done. One of the most interesting plot points of the whole episode and was likely the most discussed part on the forums was the DHARMA Polar Bear skeleton found in the sands of Tunisia!!! Not only did fans question how the polar bear, evidently the sole property of the Island and the Hydra Station we saw at the beginning of last season, got there, arousing all sorts of theories from time travel, teleportation and black holes, but Charlotte's reaction to discovering it. Alot of people rightly guessed that she recognised the Hydra DHARMA logo and was ecstatic to see it, almost as if that is what she had been looking for. Tie that together with the following scene where she loosens herself from dangling from a tree on the island, and whilst in the water, we can see her beaming and almost laughing in delight as she examines her surroundings. As we would discover in Season 5 [Spoiler ahead], Charlotte was once a member of The DHARMA Initiative.
    Also interesting is the opening scene which shows footage of the wreck of Oceanic Flight 815 in the Sunda Trench. This would naturally back up Naomi's story in Season 3, but the writers quickly poke holes in that theory when Frank Lapidus questions the identity of the Pilot. We all know that this is a fake wreck, as we saw the remains of the plane in the last episode as the backdrop for the split amongst the survivors. Perhaps, if we hadn't seen that we would be less inclined to scoff at the news footage. The flashbacks are just as good as the island footage and this is not usually the case. On first viewing, I wasn't sure about the episode. Maybe it was getting used to the new characters and the new situation. But after a couple of re-watches I love it and I think it is a better episode than the premiere.
  • The writers continue to try to "sell" us new characters.

I've never been a fan of new characters on this show, and these 4 in particular don't interest me in the slightest. We have a pilot who's a conspiracy theorist. Great. We have a red-head who found the skeleton of a polar bear in a desert. Enough with the polar bears. We have that coward from Saving Private Ryan, being all weird and nervous. And finally we have the ghostbuster. (seriously?) I find that I like Lost best when they keep the sci-fi mumbo jumbo at a distance and focus more on the character-driven stories. And enough with trying to be "clever" with the names of characters. Miles Straume (because it sounds like maelstrom! Isn't that clever?) Charlotte Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis of the Narnia books). What do these have anything to do with the show?
  • A Daniel, Miles, Charlotte, Frank and Naomi-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that I thought that this episode was absolutely amazing. This episode was so exciting. It was definitely just as good as the season four season premiere was. I loved all of the flashbacks of all the new characters. It was great to learn some information about their past in the first episode that they appeared. So far, I have to say that I'm very intrigued by Charlotte. One of the things that I loved the most about this episode was Sawyer and his story line. All things considered, I thought that this episode was just as well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost as the season premiere was, and I can't wait to get caught up on the rest of season four since I only saw the second half of the season as it aired on TV.
  • The fantastic (freighter) four.

In my previous review I said that I was glad that the premiere episode didn't start already introducing the new characters. I liked that, there was a nice bridge between season 3 finale and season 4's storyline.

Many people, however, would disagree with me and say that "The Beginning of the End" was slow, and that this episode should've been the premiere.

Sure, I can see why: "Confirmed Dead" is much faster paced, and has much much more "meat" in it. Lots of things to theorize about.

Most importantly, four new characters are introduced - four people from the freighter. Daniel Faraday, Miles Straume, Frank Lapidus and Charlotte Lewis.

Each of them have a flashback, of the time the plane crashed. Now my first issue is... why? What is the point? 2 out of the 4 flashbacks were utter disastrous.

Dan has a flashback of him crying infront of the tv screen. Ok. That's it.

Miles has a flashback of ghostbusting. Sure, that's an interesting piece of information, but could it have been any more corny? The two other flashbacks are better, though.

We learn that Frank was supposed to be the pilot of 815 originally. Now this was a good scene but it suffered from weak writing. There's no way on earth that TV would show the rotten body of a man in a crashed plane.

Charlotte's was the best - as she finds a polar bear skull with a Dharma collar in the middle of the desert.

My problem is that the flashbacks didn't serve their purpose. Not only there was no character development, but in Dan's case, we really didn't learn a thing about him. What he does, what's his life like, et cetera.

The last flashback featured Naomi and Matthew Abbaddon from the previous episode, who, really isn't a lawyer. He was the one to brief Naomi about the mission. Loved that scene, very dark and interesting.

The on island story was quite decent. Lots of interesting twists and turns, though it wasn't quite perfect.

For starters, Locke's group acting like the others when spotting Charlotte = win. Kate flirting with Dan to confuse him... epic win. Actually, I really enjoyed Dan's character. He seems to be that crazed sctientist type, which was definitely missing from the show.

Ben continues with the funnies but at the end of the episode he delivers the scene of the hour.

He reveals that he knows everything about Dan, Miles, Frank and Charlotte. Why?

"Because I have a man on their boat."

Ben, oh Ben... you bastard. You just seem to have a plan for everything!

Loved the reveal that the freighties came for Ben - to capture him. This raises lots of theories, but most importantly, once again confirms that Ben is very... important. In fact, he might just be more important and significant than what we may think at this point.

There were some other nice moments too. Locke trying to find Jacob's cabin but fails - basically, confirmation of that it really did move.

However, the writing wasn't really up to the standards of Lost. I like the new characters, but their intro was a mixed bag with the mostly pointless flashbacks. Also, some of the dialouges were extremely off. Why would Locke call the black smoke "monster"? In the previous season he said that the beach folks are calling it the monster, and that he doesn't believe it monsters.

Now, I guess it's time to rate the episode. I give it a 9.2, which is a high score and you would probably question why, after criticizing the episode so much. Well, the reason is simple. There were many, many moments that can only be found in the best episodes of the show. The beginning with ROV's finding the plane, the jump scene, Dan's and Miles' interaction with the survivors, Charlotte's huge Dharma reveal, Abbaddon's appearance in the flashback, Ben shooting Charlotte, Ben's spy... These moments were so exciting that they really made me forget inconsistency. So, exciting episode overall.
  • It was good but I've seen better

7.8
    Never mind the summary above. Yeah, I just didn't really get into this one because of who it was about and basically how weird the show is becoming. I'm just guessing it's this particular episode, I have a good friend who thinks the same about the show tonight. The whole story of the Freighter business was great but the flashbacks were strange. Miles has like this amazing power. Back on the island, Naomi's people arrive and problems between them and Jack's people are here. I won't go on too far. Really, the action was there, but there was something odd about this episode. It was different from what I know the show to be. I can't really explain further. The upsides, good action, high suspense and the downsides were the following. A strange episode, different from what I expected it to be and yeah, this episode was an example that the show is becoming something else. Some people complain that this season has been hard to follow, particularly grown-ups. I disagree, it's always been easy for me. I just can't take in odd episodes.
  • Four new characters are introduced !

The rescue team has arrived but are they really here to rescue or fight ? Locke and the others on his side are still travelling toward the others's cabins and Jack and Kate are now meeting with Dan, one of the rescuers. Here is a review of the four new characters added to Lost season 4 : 1) Dan !! : American. we didn't see much from his flashback. Dosen't have a very strong personality from what I see. 2) Miles !! : Asian. Apparently he can talk with the dead. He was found lying on the floor on a beach but when Jack comes to the resuce Miles gets up and points a gun at Jack demanding that he takes him to Naomi. When hes near Naomi's body he talks with Naomi's spirit and finds the truth which is that Naomi wasn't killed by Kate. 3) Charlotte !! : British. From her flashbacks we see that she's a palaeontologist and she also found a polar bear in the desert which was very weird but then again what isn't weird in Lost. She was found in the water by Locke and Claire and all the others. She fell from the tree. Locke takes her with them and then she gets shot by Ben but she was wearing a bulllet proof vest so she didn't die.
    4) Frank !! American. Pilot. He was supposed to be the one flying oceanic flight 815 and hes the one who flew the crew to the island. The helicopter is safe. From what I see looks it like Naomi was their leader and she was working with the man who visited Hurley in the medical center in his flashforwards.

At the end of the episode it is clear that the crew are here for Ben and Ben has a man on their boat.

Great episode !! Nice introduction. Favorite out of the new characters : Miles !! He's tough and funny. Good stuff !!
  • The crew

Flashbacks of the "rescue team" occur. Daniel watches the news about Oceanic 815. Miles gets paid to make a spirit be at peace, when he is really stealing money. Charlotte discovers a polar bear in the desert with a Dharma collar. Frank sees the news about Ocean 815 and the pilot's body and calls to say that that is not the pilot. Naomi is set to lead the team of Dan, Miles, Charlotte and Frank to the island.

Jack and Kate encounter Daniel and Miles. Miles is tough while Daniel is sort of shy. They also find Frank, the helicopter pilot. They learn that Miles, Daniel and the others are not there for the survivors, but for Ben. Locke and his group find Charlotte and Ben tries to kill her. Sawyer wants to kill Ben and so does Locke, but Ben tells them information on Charlotte and that they are there to get Ben. He reveals that he has a men on their freighter.

This episode was great! It was neat how they introduced the characters in flashbacks. I sort of like Miles and Daniel because they're funny. Miles is sarcastic and Daniel is weak and it's funny. I am really getting into what will happen next.
  • great episode

a group of survivors parachute on the island. jack and kate meets the first one that lands, he behaves really odd, he's not exactly there to rescue anyone. but he refuses to tell jack the real reason. we're now treated with flash forwards. somehow 6 of the survivors make it out of the island but we don't know how they got there or are the fates of the ones that were left behind. the writers really made this episode very watchable. the flash forwards are amazing, i can't wait for the next one. this is one awesome episode. i can't wait for more lost.
  • I LIKE IT

Entre outros, tenho dois clientes (de cob.duv.) com saldos devidamente lançados na conta 21.8. Tenho comprovantes de tentativas de cobrança.

Tenho provisão (ajustamento? - Ainda não percebi bem.) constituída, actualmente em 25%, conta 28xx.

No exercício de 2006, resolveram morrer os dois.

Pergunto:

-Como proceder para eliminar estas contas?

-Devo provisionar a 100% e utilizar a provisão, tudo no exercício de 2006?

-Ou devo utilizar a provisão constituída até ao exercício anterior e, eliminar os saldos excedentes das contas através duma 6G9xxx? UI GH
    sta questão dá-me que pensar pois numa situação consumada em Janeiro de 2007 de impossibilidade de recebimento, num crédito com mora inferior a 6 meses em 31 de Dezembro de 2006, nem sequer posso criar a provisão... (informação numa Reunião Livre) VBB

• Great Episode.!

Another awesome episode from Lost. I think we have a better idea of what Matthew Abbadon meant when he said last episode, "Are they still alive?" Perhaps the survivors are able to leave the island and keep the freighter people on it. I'm glad that Ben is still important in the show. I have a feeling that Ben is going to end up paying for killing all of the Dharma people. And how the hell did a Dharma polar bear end up in Africa? As far as the flashbacks went, I'm glad that we know a little something about each of these new characters, so that they aren't a total mystery. Especially with Daniel, it makes us care more for them, which could be mind games the writers are playing with us, when they turn out to be really bad. I'm sure they are not just there to pick up Ben and leave, otherwise it could be a real short trip for them.

Overall, great episode. Can't wait for more. And can't wait to see more of Daniel.. :D
  • We are proud to to present to you: The rescue team! Fasten your seatsbelts, because introducing new characters has never been more exciting.

It's not easy bring a goup of four new characters into a show that's been running for lready three years. Well, that couldn't have done it any better. While normally episodes like this one slows down the show (remember "the other 48 days" in season two?!), "confirmed dead" manages to combine the backstory of the team-members with things we wanted to see for a while anyway (I don't wanna give stuff away for people who haven't seen it yet).

Every member of the team lands on a different part of the island, which gives us the chance to see all the Losties, even though they are heading in different directions. They bring a lot of questions with them to the island but also a lot of answers. They're just not willing to tell them....yet.

"confirmed dead" got me really excited about season 4. It's a well written, throughout interesting episdoe. It has written LOST all over it and gives me the feeling the answers are coming our way....really!
  • alright but i am now watched 4 episodes the last one 'Eggtown' and i can't remember much in this episode so it can't have been that great.......... apart frm that there after ben but not much.

7.4
    this episode was new but niaomi was in the flash backs and she a rubbish actress so i couldnt concentrate was to busy slagging her off she can't even act the woman who plays her she fancys herself to much. anyway it was ok but not as good as episode 1 'the beggining of an end' but not much happened in that either b ut atleast there was interesting characters that we liked and interesting flashbacks this episode was ok not the best, i thought when the people arrived on the island it woukld have been more interesting and filled with more suspense we'll jsut have to wait and see, the only info we got was of that the people r after ben ad that i think miles is creepy
  • four new guys join in LOST!

after jack and kate meet daniel faraday,the clumsy scientist (his name is kinda funny,though),they search for another team members.

first,they found miles.in my opinion,he's another weirdo since desmund.they both have a sixth sense power.and miles power is talking with ghosts.eww..creepy!and one more thing.why they cast an asian guy to be a ghost mediator?it's so cliche.

on john locke group,they meet with charlotte.(another hottie since kate and shannon!and with her british accent?urrgh!i love her).
    charlotte is a paleontologist,but john (and ben) seems not trust her,and suddenly ben shoot her.oh ben!what a bad move!
    but she still alive,thanks to her vest.

and then,jack group found another team member.i forget his name,but he's the pilot.and for another surprise to us,the helicopter is there!so it might be a chance for them to get off the island?(i'm kinda boring with the island,though)

and for the mystery for this episode,yeah,the four of them coming for this island not to saved the survivor of oceanic 815,but to finds ben!
    i hope ben died in the next episode!haha.
  • Kate: Dan? Your name's Dan, right? Listen, Dan, I know that you don't want anyone to get hurt, right? So why don't you put the gun away. Dan: Because Miles would kill me?

The survivors begin to question the intentions of their supposed rescuers when four strangers arrive on the island. Well most people thought this episode was brilliant but I thought it was ok compared to last weeks episode, I like some of the new characters Dan is boss he is my favourite one and I like Miles aswell the other two are not so great, the new girl is the worst here posh British voice is just stupid I hate her, hope she dies soon Wonder who Ben's spy is aswell that was the best part of the episode. I think the frieghter people want to get Ben because he killed Dharma they must have found out somehow . Anyway that was my main thoughts on the episode hopefully next weeks is better.
  • Good not bad just good

Jack and Kate meet the physician Daniel Farady first and then the psychics Miles Straume and they demonstrate that have not come to the island with the intention of rescuing the survivors. Locke and his group find the anthropologist Charlotte Staples Lewis, and Ben Linus shoots her. Meanwhile, the group of Jack finds the pilot Frank Lapidus, who landed the helicopter with minor damages that can be repaired. Jack forces Miles to tell the real intention why they have come to the island.

The second episode of the Fourth Season returns to the island, with four new characters, stops the confusing "flash-forwards" and it seems that will finally be the beginning of the explanations that I (and most of the fans and viewers) expect to be provided in "Lost". Why the interest of the government in Ben Linus, and how he is informed from the boat are some of the questions that I expect to see in the next episodes. My vote is eight.
  • Lost: the second episode of Season 4. We are given background into the four mysterious "rescuers" and once again the lines are drawn between the people who don't want to be rescued and the people who do.

Very confusing episode tonight; it sheds light on not one but four shady chracters who have come to the damn island to rescue the survivors of Oceanic flight 815. There's Daniel who sees the plane wreckage on TV and starts bawling for unknown reasons, Miles who is payed by an old woman to communicate with her dead grandson who "tells" him where a stash of money is being hidden (i could not make head nor tail of this Flashback), Charlotte an anthropologist who, while on a desert site, finds the bones of an animal from the Dharma Initiative and Frank a grizzled drunk who called the Oceanic hotline saying the pilot wasn't the man who flew that plane because he wasn't wearing his wedding ring and then drops a bombshell by saying that he was originally supposed to be the pilot of Flight 815. I used to think it was cheesy how the good guys always win but now, who are the good guys? The rescuers, the people being rescued or the people who say the rescuers are bad? God knows. Since Charlie is dead and the funniness of Hurley and Sawyer have been muted; the blood - soaked Ben is the main source of laughs in this episode with several rude quips which usally result in a thrashing from his captors. I think it's safe to say that the lust for Jack and his clan to be rescued has clouded their judgement, if i hear the phrase "off this island" again i'll lose it. Even now it's doubtful whether he's even considering the safety of his people or just leading them into a deadend. Like most of the episodes, especially in Season 3 where they were basically for filler and nothing happened nor was discovered, the first 3 of Season 4 have been vital and there is never the feeling of dragging nor stalling, i can't wait to see what this Season has for us.
  • Omg they wont lemme change my pic thing. nice episode.

Nice episode. omg they wont let me change my pic thing. but the episode made even more questions. like who does he have on the boat? why? how long? well they get him/her back? but wow nice episode. so.....so far season 4 has been very exciting and keeps puting up more questions =/. Well.....it looks like most other ppl thought it was a good episode to. and it was. Nice episode. omg they wont let me change my pic thing. but the episode made even more questions. like who does he have on the boat? why? how long? well they get him/her back? but wow nice episode. so.....so far season 4 has been very exciting and keeps puting up more questions =/. Well.....it looks like most other ppl thought it was a good episode to. and it was. /\
    Posted that again so i have over 100 words min.
  • Always leaves you questioning everything before.

With the addition of the new characters to the show things are starting to get a little more interesting. Not to say They have not been interesting the whole time but there are some low points in the action in the previous season. The only real issue I have had so far this season and it continues in this episode is the addition of Ken Leung as Miles he is a little guy with a huge mouth now with having survived nearly everything thrown at them so far. I'm not sure anyone would be willing to put up with this little guy spouting off like he's a tuff guy would work out for anyone. I seriously hated it when he called Hugo "Tubby." It's about time Hugo starts laying the smackdown on the insulters starting with his punkaXX. please excuse the slang.
  • a Dead girl Flashback??? what is with that? dejense de joder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a Dead girl Flashback??? what is with than? dejense de joder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is really dissapointing to witness the downfall of and excelent series with such a poor writing in the past episodes. Una lastima pero la prepotencia en la tele se paga cara.
    Lost is lost and will be that way i think in the future.
    Es triste que con el tiempo la television no pueda tener una conversacion consigo misma y optar por calidad narrativa sobre pauta publicitaria. si series mala recaudan la misma cantidad de dinero que series buenas no entiendo por que no terminan buenas series antes de caer en el ridiculo.
  • New Characters.

In a flashback, we see rescuer Daniel upset while watching footage of underwater wreckage of Flight 815. Back on the island, he tells Jack and Kate that he's there to rescue them, but needs to use their phone, in private, to talk to the people on his chopper. While walking, Kate finds a box that had been dropped from the helicopter with a gas mask in it. They confront Daniel about that and about the fact that he's carrying a gun. He admits rescuing them is not his only objective. The three of them find Miles, who pulls a gun on them, wanting to know the truth about Naomi. We flashback and discover that Miles appears to speak to ghosts to make money. Back on the island, he demands to be taken to Naomi's body, where he apparently talks to her ghost and finds that Jack and Kate are telling the truth. Juliet and Sayid arrive with guns blazing, so Miles and Daniel must drop their weapons. Meanwhile, Locke's group of survivors asks him questions about the barracks, about seeing Walt, and about why they are keeping Ben alive. They then discover Charlotte who, in a flashback, we see finding a Dharma polar bear's remains in the middle of a desert. Charlotte is held captive by Locke and his group, who do not want to be rescued. She then gets shot twice by Ben, who has stolen a gun. Thankfully, she was wearing a bulletproof vest. In a fourth flashback, we meet Frank who watches the newscast about the underwater Flight 815, calls a hotline, and says that they are wrong about the dead man who they are claiming is the pilot. He says he knows this because he was supposed to be flying 815 that day. On the island, an injured Frank shoots up a flare. Jack's group finds him and Frank shows them that he was able to land the helicopter safely. In a final flashback, a team consisting of Charlotte, Faraday, Miles, and Frank is being put together by Naomi and Matthew Abaddon, who we last saw with Hurley in the institution. They're planning a mission to the island, and Abaddon assures Naomi that they won't find any 815 survivors there. Back on the island, Frank discovers that Juliet isn't one of the 815 survivors and tells Miles and Daniel. Miles pulls out a picture of Ben, demanding to know where he is, revealing that finding him is the real reason they came to the island. Back in Locke's group, they are about to execute Ben. So that he won't get killed, Ben reveals that he knows everyone who arrived on the chopper. He rattles off information about Charlotte and her group, and says that he knows they've come for him. How does he know? Well, he has a man on their boat, of course.
  • Loved it!

I watched Confirmed Dead last night, and once again was truly amazed by the episode. In fact, this one is definitely better than the S4 premiere. The 4 new characters, I can't remember all their names, but one that stands out in my mind is Charlotte and also Dan. Was it Dan...? Aargh. I love the pilot, he is fantastic, but I can't remember his name for the life of me.

Once again, Michael Emerson delivered a fantastic performance as Ben, I particularly loved the part when Ben "shot" Charlotte, but she was wearing a bullet proof vest. And is it possible that Alex geniunely loves Ben, the man she grew up thinking was her father? Her face when Locke was going to shoot Ben was brilliant, and so real. It was also a pleasure watching Terry O'Quinn in this episode, he never fails to impress me and is now turning Locke into one of my favourite characters.

Although, did anyone else notice that the group got over Charlie's death rather quickly? I would've expected more sadness from Hurley and Claire, but no.. just pre-occupied with Locke and Ben's decisions and moves.

Overall, wonderful, wonderful episode, great performance by all cast members, and a very intriguing story to go along with it!
  • ...

I much preferred this second episode of the season to the season premiere for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I really enjoyed having the four separate flashbacks of the four new characters. That was a good idea of the writers, as each short but vital flashback had to get to the core of the character and their connection with the island without giving away too much or holding back too much either. It was also nice to see Naomi's separate flashback, seeing her in quite a different position back on normal land.

I liked seeing the two different groups of the Losties too, and how close they were at points, e.g. how they found different Freighters and the dog moving from one group to the other.

It was a good scene when Sayid and Juliet 'rescued' Jack and Kate. Although I didn't notice Jack's wink to Kate the first time round, and she obviously didn't either, it was noticeable on rewatching the episode. Juliet and Sayid made quite an interesting pairing for their couple of short scenes together. Also loved Mile's response to Juliet not being an Oceanic 15 surviver, interesting that she didn't attempt to explain who she was though, as I had always assumed 'hostiles' are those born and bred on the island.

Locke's bullet survival seemed slightly Messiac, which I guess is part of the island's themes; having a Godly leader. It provided a nice insight into ideas about power, corruption, charismatic leadership etc though.

All in all a good episode. The new characters are interesting. Well I find Dan a bit soppy and Miles annoying, Charlie could go either way but I am looking forward to learning more about the Pilot, and Ben's last remark about his inside man was definitely intriguing.
  • Flashbacks are back!!! OMG i was so happy. no spoil-forwards. awesome!

this was a great episode & had exactly what makes this show fantastic, the character development that i've been talking about all along. jack, has learned from the others how to not get taken advantage & not giving away too much information & to listen just like ben. like ben he pretended to be something he isn't to learn what the "rescuers" intentions were (ben in the swan) & he even had the losties in the jungle with guns (mr. friendly captured michael & kate) to get the upper hand. it was a surprise & more importantly the kind of change that slowly jack has been embracing in himself.

ben shot charlotte which was a great scene. even if she had on a vest. i'm glad they aren't a military unit but a weird group of people with their own strange area of expertise. more weirdness to add to the island! sweet. miles is an arrogant character & hopefully sayid will shoot him soooner than later. of course, it's great when they make jokes at the expense of the fans when locke goes "what is the monster?" very funny.

i like that they found an ancient polar bear, tying together the polar bears, dhama initiative & desmond's time travel episode (flashes before your eyes). i was actually able to enjoy this episode & forget about the awful spoilfowards.
  • I'm proud to say I watch Lost.

When I heard the final three seasons of lost would be cut down from 24 episodes per season to 16, I was really upset because the more the better and the more weeks I would be waiting for my 1 hour of Lost. What I think the writers wanted to do was to cut out all of the filler episodes and all of this 'boring bits' and put all of the focus on why we love lost.

Confirmed Dead was an action packed episode which was very revealing. I was really suprised that the writers gave us so much information about the newbies and they only just arrived. Usually they keep us in suspense for ages. That's a positive to the 16 episode season, they cram it in meaning every episode is amazing.

One of the helicopter people can aparently talk to ghosts. I'm really upset because although Lost is really science fictional to a point, ghosts and spirits is way to much for me.

Season 4 of Lost is definintly a turning point and the beggining of the end. Things are becoming clearer.
  • new characters!

Yay! New characters! A helecopter lands on the island and there were four on it. Three had to jump out and they separated. They all seemed to have small different reasons to be on the island. There was a physicist, a ghost-whisperer type, a pilot, and an archeologist. I love new characters. I really like the pilot. The female archeologitst was captured by Locke while Miles, the ghost-whisperer, and the physicist were with Jack and Kate. They met up with the pilot. Anyways, I really liked this episode because it's adding new characters. I think it did good for character development. Also, YAY, we finally 'know' what happened to the flight 815. Good episode.
  • Meet the Freighties

This season has two major forces on opposite ends affecting it. The first is the writer's strike, which ended days after this aired. Originally the show had eight completed scripts, which have been filmed and presumably been in post-production since then. Now with the writers back at work, but the studios sticking to the September-May model, so "Lost" may only complete 13-14 episodes and have the season shortened from the intended sixteen. Of course that is problematic to the writers' vision of three sixteen-episode seasons. However, shortening the season (and perhaps it's end as well) has helped "Lost" tighten its focus. It's unlikely we're going to have any "Jack's wacky tattoo adventure" episodes in this bunch. In fact, this episode begins to introduce us to some of the freighter's crew (who will be referred to as "Freighties"), including some information we probably wouldn't have gotten for some time, or a centric episode devoted to one of them. In some cases, we learn something about them before they're formally introduced on island (or in Miles' case, have a line).

Daniel, who we saw in the last episode parachuting on the island in an unstable helicopter, seems to be a reference point for the audience to see their perspective. So far he's been sympathetic, but there are hints to mental problems. Naomi refers to him as a "head case". His sobbing over the news of the crash could've been sympathy, but not knowing why he was so upset is telling. Then there was the weird light scattering remark. I'm assuming that's not meant to be another part of the island mythology.

Some may pin Miles as the loose cannon that Ben and Locke fear will destroy the island. He feels about the castaways much like Team Locke feels about the freighties. He also doesn't have a great report with his crew, referring to Naomi's body as "meat". However, he could easily sway the other direction. Also, Ken Leung's performance keeps him from being annoying, which could've easily happened with this character.

There is something to him keeping the drug money, but despite that, he seems to be a genuine medium. Some may bemoan another supernatural element added to the show, but considering psychics and elements of dead characters appearing to others, it isn't that hard to believe.

Charlotte, whose character name references C.S. Lewis, was noteworthy last summer as the role Kristen Bell turned down to play Elle on "Heroes" (a decision, considering "Heroes" meandering second season, she's probably regretted). It adds a bit when looking at how Rebecca Mader plays her. Had Kristen Bell picked "Lost", we (or at least those who've seen "Veronica Mars") would probably sympathize with her more. Charlotte shows more duality than the other freighties. In her flashbacks she's rude, but cunning when it comes to getting the information she needs. Now she plays naïve and sweet towards the survivors. I could see Bell pulling this off, as Elle has similar drives.

Frank's motivation for being part of the mission is the only explainable one in this episode: he was originally the pilot for 815, but was bumped for the man the monster killed in the first episode. Some, citing the growing conspiracy angle in the crash, believe Frank was pulled because he was a better pilot, and could've avoided the crash altogether. Then we learn that Frank's memorized the manifest of all 324 names and his interest turns to obsession. Jeff Fahey is the only freighty not in the main cast, so one has to wonder if he'll be killed soon.

This episode hints at Abbadon's motivation for visiting Hurley in the institution; he recruited the freighties on their mission to retrieve Ben. Maybe his encounter with Hurley was to make sure he stayed quiet, or maybe he turned against his people in hopes of finding the truth. I doubt he's the monster as some theorized using slow motion video. Like many questions, this is for another episode.

Another question is Abbadon's choice of this strange group to recover Ben. Why send a bunch of non professionals to a dangerous island (the irony of course being the professional was the first killed)? The answer may point to their talents and how they relate to island phenomena. Frank may have been chosen because of his piloting skill and his knowledge of what really happened to 815 possibly jeopardizing the conspiracy.

Perhaps this was a plot hole, error in writing or the writers acknowledging the freighties' knowledge of 815 as it ties to the island, but why does Naomi ask Abbadon what to do if they encounter the survivors when there's no clear connection between the two to those unaware? Abbadon seems adamant about there being no survivors, yet when questioned, Miles sarcastically feigns surprise that 815 had survivors. Obviously there's more to this mystery.

Upon their arrival, the initial relief among Kate and Jack give way to feelings of mistrust. While Daniel's initially friendly, there's an uncomfortable amount of secrecy between them, which is made worse by seeing the gun he has on him, the private phone call and the gas masks. Knowing they were after Ben and presumably his action in the purge, their tactics makes sense. It also makes sense considering what happened to Naomi. It could've easily been Locke's killing of her is the turning point that makes the freighties do whatever bad things that haunt Jack and Hurley in the future, but as many first guesses go, there was more to it.

Jacob's cabin receives a nice follow up, with Locke and Ben learning of Hurley's discovery. Their reactions were very different. Locke sees it much like he would have in the first season, as a proud moment where someone else has a close connection to the island. Ben likely sees it as another threat.

One has to give credit to Michael Emerson. Not only is he one of Lost's consistently excellent players, but recently his character has been beaten up so badly I'm surprised his jaw isn't total mush (island healing must take more pity on that than his tumor). As Locke says, his biggest weapon now is his mouth, but even now we see what that can do, as he riles up Karl, Sawyer and Locke in this episode. Like I mentioned in the premiere review, Ben is constantly plotting to get the upper hand, even when that seems impossible.

The big twist at the end reveals just why Ben was so worried about these people coming: they're after him. It appears that some off the island outside of The Others are aware of who they are and their operation on the island. This could point to some post-Dharma group. It would make sense that Dharma off island would become aware of the purge. Maybe they regard Ben as a terrorist for his actions. Now whether they want him simply to know who his inside man is or for something more is yet to be tackled.

The first choice of the inside man is of course Michael. In season two Ben agreed to let Michael and Walt go off on their boat, but throughout season three they continually mentioned Ben not wanting anyone to leave the island. So why let Michael go, even with a kid with psychic abilities too powerful for The Others to contain? The producers have said that Michael's story isn't finished and with Harold Perrinau back in the cast, that would be a good way to reintroduce him.

This episode effectively sets up major conflict between Teams Jack and Locke. Team Locke has two things Jack wants. While they may not want to do Charlotte harm (besides Ben), she's in a way their hostage. With her, in addition to Ben, around, they have certain leverage should the freighties become hostile.

The excavation of the polar bear remains is a huge curveball. Since their first appearance, it's been explained that the polar bears were brought by Dharma to Hydra Island, where they eventually escaped (likely during the purge) and swam to the main island. Having one wind up in Africa is a completely different thing altogether. One interesting theory involves the hatch implosion scattering everything around it through wormholes. Maybe two bears were there, explaining how Eko was prisoner of one in "Further Instructions". It also could explain why that giant metal ball that used to be The Swan wasn't in the hole.

Although still in the introductory phase, the season's direction comes off as more confident and less stalling for time than before. In previous seasons, it's unlikely we would've learned much about the freighties until possibly six episodes in or more. With the shortened season and the writers' ability to figure what plot points to hit and when better, this episode maintains the confidence of the premiere as the season takes shape. As a result, this introduction is the best since the first season.
< 1 2 3