Lost

Confirmed Dead

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 07, 2008 on ABC

• a Dead girl Flashback??? what is with that? dejense de joder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a Dead girl Flashback??? what is with than? dejense de joder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is really dissapointing to witness the downfall of and excelent series with such a poor writing in the past episodes. Una lastima pero la prepotencia en la tele se paga cara.
    Lost is lost and will be that way i think in the future.
    Es triste que con el tiempo la television no pueda tener una conversacion consigo misma y optar por calidad narrativa sobre pauta publicitaria. si series mala recaudan la misma cantidad de dinero que series buenas no entiendo por que no terminan buenas series antes de caer en el ridiculo.
  • wasted 60 mins !! what was this episode about

let me ask you this question again What was this episode about
    it was so out of LOST that I literally started thinking what was it about
    i mean this show is heading nowhere there is so much substance in the first season and
    all they are doing here is doing now is wasting time !
    how many of you actually thought they are survivors
    they are just playing tricks to make viewers think about the survival by showing future flash-forwards. It is stupid ! I mean if you really enjoyed this you may not have a life ! ! !
    Hopefully i like to believe that you are not so easily stupified
  • It took sixty minutes to reveal that four new people were all selected to come to this island. Trust me when I tell you, John wasn't the only one who wanted to shoot someone for some actual, relevant answers

So, let's review, shall we?

The helicopter lands and we're introduced to a new character. The losties then go find the other three of his teammates.

For an entire episode, we get to find out that these people were chosen for a mission and that that mission was going to be dangerous. Now, this wasn't a bad episode. It really wasn't. The problem is, nothing relevant happened. 1.) We already knew that the place was discovered. That we got to see it tonight was nice, but hardly relevant.

2.) Two of the four backstories were worthless. The only thing we found out that was interesting at all about the four newcomers was that asian guy can relate to the dead and the drunk dude is a pilot. Now, we could have found that out in a number of other ways, I feel that these flashbacks really missed the point.

3.) The ultimate payoff and reveal is that they're after Ben? Um, ok. Fantastic. Now what? Sixty minutes to find out that they're looking for Ben? It's never good policy to drag something on for an hour that could have been summerized in a five second sentance. For example, Jack meets nervous guy, asks "Why are you here". He says: "Rescuing you isn't our top priority". Jack goes "What is?" Nervous guy says: "Oh, we're looking for a dude named Ben. Do you know him"? This whole thing could have been solved in the first scene.

I guess my whole beef with this episode is that with only eight new episodes left this season and only 48 left before the end, I feel that this is one of those throwaway hours that really did nothing to advance the story or get us any closer to anything.

I learned more in the 14 second teaser at the end of the episode than i did the 60 minutes proceeding it.

Still a good season, still a fantastic show, but this episode was more frustrating than thrilling and that in and of itself is a disappointment.
  • alright but i am now watched 4 episodes the last one 'Eggtown' and i can't remember much in this episode so it can't have been that great.......... apart frm that there after ben but not much.

7.4
    this episode was new but niaomi was in the flash backs and she a rubbish actress so i couldnt concentrate was to busy slagging her off she can't even act the woman who plays her she fancys herself to much. anyway it was ok but not as good as episode 1 'the beggining of an end' but not much happened in that either b ut atleast there was interesting characters that we liked and interesting flashbacks this episode was ok not the best, i thought when the people arrived on the island it woukld have been more interesting and filled with more suspense we'll jsut have to wait and see, the only info we got was of that the people r after ben ad that i think miles is creepy
  • OK, some new info, some new cast members, the mystery deepens but basically left with Ben getting beaten up, again?. How many times is that now since Season 2? And why does everybody end up pointing handguns at each other? Again?

Four new characters join the island on some kind of mission/easter egg hunt. Each has a backstory linked to the overall story and a special skill, sort of like a "Guns of Navarone" team. Are they a match for the Lost tribes? Time will tell. Not really witty writing in this one, Locke's missing kidney line the best. Ben, Jack and Locke's so-called leadership abilities very weakly portrayed. Why would anyone follow any of these three? Viewers of this show have signed on for the duration and will accept some variations, some shows are better than others and this one, despite being a potential turning point, came off as flat and has a "paint-by-numbers" feel.
  • It was good but I've seen better

7.8
    Never mind the summary above. Yeah, I just didn't really get into this one because of who it was about and basically how weird the show is becoming. I'm just guessing it's this particular episode, I have a good friend who thinks the same about the show tonight. The whole story of the Freighter business was great but the flashbacks were strange. Miles has like this amazing power. Back on the island, Naomi's people arrive and problems between them and Jack's people are here. I won't go on too far. Really, the action was there, but there was something odd about this episode. It was different from what I know the show to be. I can't really explain further. The upsides, good action, high suspense and the downsides were the following. A strange episode, different from what I expected it to be and yeah, this episode was an example that the show is becoming something else. Some people complain that this season has been hard to follow, particularly grown-ups. I disagree, it's always been easy for me. I just can't take in odd episodes.
  • Lost: the second episode of Season 4. We are given background into the four mysterious "rescuers" and once again the lines are drawn between the people who don't want to be rescued and the people who do.

Very confusing episode tonight; it sheds light on not one but four shady chracters who have come to the damn island to rescue the survivors of Oceanic flight 815. There's Daniel who sees the plane wreckage on TV and starts bawling for unknown reasons, Miles who is payed by an old woman to communicate with her dead grandson who "tells" him where a stash of money is being hidden (i could not make head nor tail of this Flashback), Charlotte an anthropologist who, while on a desert site, finds the bones of an animal from the Dharma Initiative and Frank a grizzled drunk who called the Oceanic hotline saying the pilot wasn't the man who flew that plane because he wasn't wearing his wedding ring and then drops a bombshell by saying that he was originally supposed to be the pilot of Flight 815. I used to think it was cheesy how the good guys always win but now, who are the good guys? The rescuers, the people being rescued or the people who say the rescuers are bad? God knows. Since Charlie is dead and the funniness of Hurley and Sawyer have been muted; the blood - soaked Ben is the main source of laughs in this episode with several rude quips which usally result in a thrashing from his captors. I think it's safe to say that the lust for Jack and his clan to be rescued has clouded their judgement, if i hear the phrase "off this island" again i'll lose it. Even now it's doubtful whether he's even considering the safety of his people or just leading them into a deadend. Like most of the episodes, especially in Season 3 where they were basically for filler and nothing happened nor was discovered, the first 3 of Season 4 have been vital and there is never the feeling of dragging nor stalling, i can't wait to see what this Season has for us.
  • Meet the Freighties

This season has two major forces on opposite ends affecting it. The first is the writer's strike, which ended days after this aired. Originally the show had eight completed scripts, which have been filmed and presumably been in post-production since then. Now with the writers back at work, but the studios sticking to the September-May model, so "Lost" may only complete 13-14 episodes and have the season shortened from the intended sixteen. Of course that is problematic to the writers' vision of three sixteen-episode seasons. However, shortening the season (and perhaps it's end as well) has helped "Lost" tighten its focus. It's unlikely we're going to have any "Jack's wacky tattoo adventure" episodes in this bunch. In fact, this episode begins to introduce us to some of the freighter's crew (who will be referred to as "Freighties"), including some information we probably wouldn't have gotten for some time, or a centric episode devoted to one of them. In some cases, we learn something about them before they're formally introduced on island (or in Miles' case, have a line).

Daniel, who we saw in the last episode parachuting on the island in an unstable helicopter, seems to be a reference point for the audience to see their perspective. So far he's been sympathetic, but there are hints to mental problems. Naomi refers to him as a "head case". His sobbing over the news of the crash could've been sympathy, but not knowing why he was so upset is telling. Then there was the weird light scattering remark. I'm assuming that's not meant to be another part of the island mythology.

Some may pin Miles as the loose cannon that Ben and Locke fear will destroy the island. He feels about the castaways much like Team Locke feels about the freighties. He also doesn't have a great report with his crew, referring to Naomi's body as "meat". However, he could easily sway the other direction. Also, Ken Leung's performance keeps him from being annoying, which could've easily happened with this character.

There is something to him keeping the drug money, but despite that, he seems to be a genuine medium. Some may bemoan another supernatural element added to the show, but considering psychics and elements of dead characters appearing to others, it isn't that hard to believe.

Charlotte, whose character name references C.S. Lewis, was noteworthy last summer as the role Kristen Bell turned down to play Elle on "Heroes" (a decision, considering "Heroes" meandering second season, she's probably regretted). It adds a bit when looking at how Rebecca Mader plays her. Had Kristen Bell picked "Lost", we (or at least those who've seen "Veronica Mars") would probably sympathize with her more. Charlotte shows more duality than the other freighties. In her flashbacks she's rude, but cunning when it comes to getting the information she needs. Now she plays naïve and sweet towards the survivors. I could see Bell pulling this off, as Elle has similar drives.

Frank's motivation for being part of the mission is the only explainable one in this episode: he was originally the pilot for 815, but was bumped for the man the monster killed in the first episode. Some, citing the growing conspiracy angle in the crash, believe Frank was pulled because he was a better pilot, and could've avoided the crash altogether. Then we learn that Frank's memorized the manifest of all 324 names and his interest turns to obsession. Jeff Fahey is the only freighty not in the main cast, so one has to wonder if he'll be killed soon.

This episode hints at Abbadon's motivation for visiting Hurley in the institution; he recruited the freighties on their mission to retrieve Ben. Maybe his encounter with Hurley was to make sure he stayed quiet, or maybe he turned against his people in hopes of finding the truth. I doubt he's the monster as some theorized using slow motion video. Like many questions, this is for another episode.

Another question is Abbadon's choice of this strange group to recover Ben. Why send a bunch of non professionals to a dangerous island (the irony of course being the professional was the first killed)? The answer may point to their talents and how they relate to island phenomena. Frank may have been chosen because of his piloting skill and his knowledge of what really happened to 815 possibly jeopardizing the conspiracy.

Perhaps this was a plot hole, error in writing or the writers acknowledging the freighties' knowledge of 815 as it ties to the island, but why does Naomi ask Abbadon what to do if they encounter the survivors when there's no clear connection between the two to those unaware? Abbadon seems adamant about there being no survivors, yet when questioned, Miles sarcastically feigns surprise that 815 had survivors. Obviously there's more to this mystery.

Upon their arrival, the initial relief among Kate and Jack give way to feelings of mistrust. While Daniel's initially friendly, there's an uncomfortable amount of secrecy between them, which is made worse by seeing the gun he has on him, the private phone call and the gas masks. Knowing they were after Ben and presumably his action in the purge, their tactics makes sense. It also makes sense considering what happened to Naomi. It could've easily been Locke's killing of her is the turning point that makes the freighties do whatever bad things that haunt Jack and Hurley in the future, but as many first guesses go, there was more to it.

Jacob's cabin receives a nice follow up, with Locke and Ben learning of Hurley's discovery. Their reactions were very different. Locke sees it much like he would have in the first season, as a proud moment where someone else has a close connection to the island. Ben likely sees it as another threat.

One has to give credit to Michael Emerson. Not only is he one of Lost's consistently excellent players, but recently his character has been beaten up so badly I'm surprised his jaw isn't total mush (island healing must take more pity on that than his tumor). As Locke says, his biggest weapon now is his mouth, but even now we see what that can do, as he riles up Karl, Sawyer and Locke in this episode. Like I mentioned in the premiere review, Ben is constantly plotting to get the upper hand, even when that seems impossible.

The big twist at the end reveals just why Ben was so worried about these people coming: they're after him. It appears that some off the island outside of The Others are aware of who they are and their operation on the island. This could point to some post-Dharma group. It would make sense that Dharma off island would become aware of the purge. Maybe they regard Ben as a terrorist for his actions. Now whether they want him simply to know who his inside man is or for something more is yet to be tackled.

The first choice of the inside man is of course Michael. In season two Ben agreed to let Michael and Walt go off on their boat, but throughout season three they continually mentioned Ben not wanting anyone to leave the island. So why let Michael go, even with a kid with psychic abilities too powerful for The Others to contain? The producers have said that Michael's story isn't finished and with Harold Perrinau back in the cast, that would be a good way to reintroduce him.

This episode effectively sets up major conflict between Teams Jack and Locke. Team Locke has two things Jack wants. While they may not want to do Charlotte harm (besides Ben), she's in a way their hostage. With her, in addition to Ben, around, they have certain leverage should the freighties become hostile.

The excavation of the polar bear remains is a huge curveball. Since their first appearance, it's been explained that the polar bears were brought by Dharma to Hydra Island, where they eventually escaped (likely during the purge) and swam to the main island. Having one wind up in Africa is a completely different thing altogether. One interesting theory involves the hatch implosion scattering everything around it through wormholes. Maybe two bears were there, explaining how Eko was prisoner of one in "Further Instructions". It also could explain why that giant metal ball that used to be The Swan wasn't in the hole.

Although still in the introductory phase, the season's direction comes off as more confident and less stalling for time than before. In previous seasons, it's unlikely we would've learned much about the freighties until possibly six episodes in or more. With the shortened season and the writers' ability to figure what plot points to hit and when better, this episode maintains the confidence of the premiere as the season takes shape. As a result, this introduction is the best since the first season.
  • A revealing episode!

The producers for "Lost" promised that the storytelling would accelerate now that the timetable for completion was in hand, and fulfilling that promise certainly seems to be at the forefront of their minds in this particular installment. At first glance, this episode seems to introduce unnecessary new mysteries to the overall puzzle, but in actuality, the picture is coming into focus.

In terms of the "present", the narrative advancement is incremental but incredibly important. Splitting the rescue party between Team Shepherd and Team Locke is an unexpected but welcome twist. It prevents the likelihood of ignoring Team Locke completely whenever telling stories about the rescue party, and with the revelation about Ben and the true purpose of the "rescue", this speeds the flow of information.

This time around, the flashbacks follow a more conventional format, which in turn is more unconventional in terms of "Lost" itself. Each act is prefaced by a flashback for one member of the rescue party, in order of introduction. In nearly every case, the members were reacting to the news that Oceanic 815 had been found at the bottom of the ocean.

Footage of the remains confirms that someone faked the crash site, though the circumstances remain hard to judge. It seems to resurrect the theory that Ben and his post-Dharma organization made sure no one would be looking for the true survivors, but there's the small issue of timing. Ben's organization wouldn't have had the information necessary to fake a plane crash that quickly. However, it's certainly clear that someone faked the crash, and that means the true fate of Oceanic 815 may not have been circumstantial after all.

Whatever the case, this would appear to debunk the theory that the rescue party was in some way meant to pre-empt Penny Widmore's efforts to find Desmond. That doesn't mean that Penny's father is off the hook, since it still appears that he knew about the island and happily contrived to get Desmond there ("Live Together, Die Alone"). All the evidence still points to the Hanso Foundation and their connection to the legacy of the Dharma Initiative, especially given the nature of the rescue party itself.

The first member of the rescue party is Daniel Faraday, who takes the news regarding Oceanic 815 rather hard, despite having no reason for such a response. According to Faraday, he is a physicist (hence the clever character name), but that doesn't seem to be the complete story. For one thing, his comments suggest an interest in fringe theories regarding electromagnetism. As it happens, unusual electromagnetic fields play a vital part in legitimate research into "paranormal" events, and they would certainly be important to anyone with fringe theories on the subject.

The second member of the rescue party is Miles. He sells himself as a professional "ghost buster", it seems, and that puts him in the category of con man. That could explain his paranoia to some extent; he may also have a military or mercenary background. Even so, his abilities do seem to be real to some extent (even if it's an intuition on the level of Frank Black from the series "Millennium"), and psychic abilities are nothing new in the "Lost" mythos.

The third member of the rescue party is Charlotte Lewis. Once again, on the surface, she appears to be a simple anthropologist, but her flashback and dialogue suggest something more. She certainly recognizes the Dharma symbol, and that suggests that she's been studying the appearance of similar remains throughout the world. Like the rest of the team thus far, it suggests a keen interest in the paranormal and historical/geographical anachronisms (like polar bears with Dharma collars in the middle of Tunisia).

The fourth member of the rescue party is Frank Lapidus. Unlike the rest of the rescue party, Lapidus seems to have little interest in the paranormal. Instead, his flashback reveals a far more interesting tidbit: he was supposed to be the pilot of Oceanic 815, and he's aware that the remains are fake. His presence on the team is revealing, to say the least.

The final flashback is devoted to Naomi, but it says far more about Matthew Abbadon (he of the demonic name). Abbadon's emphasis of the party line, that there were no survivors of Oceanic 815, strongly suggests that his organization was behind the fake crash site. It also leads to the speculation that his organization was behind the actual crash on the island, given the fact that Naomi is aware of where the plane actually fell. One interpretation is that Naomi was being told to ensure none of them escaped the island. (Perhaps because two of them already have, and presumably Abbadon is well aware of that fact.)

Taken in context with the other members of the rescue party, it's not a stretch to speculate that the team members were chosen for very specific purposes. It has been strongly hinted that elements of the Hanso Foundation are connected to the legacy of the Dharma Initiative as well as the Widmores. Naomi's possession of Penny's picture suggests that Abbadon's organization is connected to the effort to trap Desmond on the island, which further implicates the Widmores and Hanso. The Dharma infrastructure has remained intact to the extent that food drops continue. While one might assume that the drops were still for Kelvin, the fake crash suggests that someone knew about Ben's Others and their inroads into the rest of civilization.

What if Abbadon's organization knew about Ben and the Others, and their Purge of the Dharma Initiative? What if that organization had been planning to take back control of the island? Ben may be aware that a small mercenary force is waiting on the boat to take control, since he has a man there. Daniel, Miles, and Charlotte are all ideal choices for scientific study of the island, its history, and its properties. Frank would be an inconvenient voice to be silenced, presumably trapping the "science team" on the island once Ben and the Others were eliminated or taken into custody. The survivors of Oceanic 815 might have been intended as test subjects for new Dharma experiments, or a means of destabilizing the Others and making them vulnerable.

This is important, because in the future, Abbadon is very keen on getting Hurley to reveal if anyone else remains on the island, as seen in the previous episode. That suggests that something went very wrong with the mission to find Ben. Taken in that context, Team Shepherd's decision to control the relationship with the "rescue party" is a rather good one, and could point to the eventual circumstances of the "Oceanic 6" situation. The speculation that the "rescuers" are repelled, yet Abbadon's organization learns about six survivors, forcing the "Oceanic 6" to leave to protect the remainder, continues to be a viable theory.

Team Locke, on the other hand, is still trying to find its course. Locke is still operating on visions and instinct, probably in conjunction with Jacob, and that disturbs Ben greatly. Ben's stock is rapidly declining, and that makes him dangerous. Meanwhile, Sawyer is more than happy to take control if necessary, and it's only Hurley holding him back. Hurley and Locke now have the cabin in common, and that ought to lead to some interesting conversations, to say the least. Ben's operative on the boat, and their method of communication, ought to provide a ready source of exposition.

After the first season, which was all about the main group of survivors, each successive season has introduced new characters intrinsic to the respective season arcs. The second season featured the tail section survivors and their impact on the tribe. The third season was all about the struggle against the Others. This season appears to be about the threat of Abbadon's organization, which is tied directly to many unanswered questions about the island and its history. The trend of introducing new characters as a challenge to the existing cast continues, and thus far, the process continues to be successful.
  • Setting the pieces in place to lead us to the future we have recently seen in "The Beginning of the End."

At first, the back stories of the Not Penny's Boat people really cast this episode in a different light. They were the ones who were clueless and "lost." They were being surrounded and manipulated by people who another reviewer likened to "the others." This would have been an interesting direction for the episode to take but it was probably better that it did not. We got the point and the show moved on.

Some of the things happening with our survivors in this episode really seem like contrivances. It seems that Jack got extremely lucky when Sayid and Juliet showed up to echo back to "The Hunting Party." Jack's extraordinary willingness to go along with these people and Kate's pointless presence has gotten old. Jack is really on a roll making bad decisions. Kate follows him and doesn't utter a word until Juliet shows up. So with all that being said, I am rooting for the Locke tribe. But it has its own flaws. Locke struggles with earning everyone's trust when he wants to take a detour to the cabin. Hurley seems a little antsy to go back to the cabin himself. But Locke wins some hearts and minds when he illustrates how he took a bullet from Ben just days ago. Sayid was the sheriff of the original tribe. Towards the end of season 3, Sawyer joined him in this role while Sayid (partly) and Jack were gone. Now Sawyer is the sheriff of the Locke tribe. He is ready to meet out justice on Ben twice. Locke stops him the first time but the second time he nearly does the job himself... until, of course Ben says exactly what he knows will get him saved. Abaddon appears again, not as creepy this time, to explain to Naomi that the other 4 members of her team were chosen for a reason. This could be because these people have some connection to the island. The first flashback showed Dan weeping over the crash of 815 and not knowing why. Later, Charlotte uncovers a Dharma polar bear collar and looks at it as if she recognizes it. There are probably more connections than those mentioned here. I still believe these are loosely related to Dharma. That provides an explanation as to why they are seeking out Ben. It also begs the question of what they want with Ben. If Locke or Sawyer kills him (I concede this is not likely), how would that change their "primary objective"?

Overall, we got a good follow up to the season premiere. The plot advanced a lot in this episode and many people probably enjoyed it more than the premiere for this reason. But I prefer a little more emotion and reflection in the stories. "The Beginning of the End" was a reflection of the events of "Through the Looking Glass." "Confirmed Dead" really begins the on-island story that will culminate in "The Beginning of the End" with Hurley attempting to persuade Jack to "go back."
  • Always leaves you questioning everything before.

With the addition of the new characters to the show things are starting to get a little more interesting. Not to say They have not been interesting the whole time but there are some low points in the action in the previous season. The only real issue I have had so far this season and it continues in this episode is the addition of Ken Leung as Miles he is a little guy with a huge mouth now with having survived nearly everything thrown at them so far. I'm not sure anyone would be willing to put up with this little guy spouting off like he's a tuff guy would work out for anyone. I seriously hated it when he called Hugo "Tubby." It's about time Hugo starts laying the smackdown on the insulters starting with his punkaXX. please excuse the slang.
  • Not a classic, but a really great episode non the less

Great episode, feels really fast moving and progressive, alot of stuff happening, not a moment squandered, all in all a great episode that feels alot more like the first season of lost with a sense of mystery and unpredictability to it.

There are no moments that particularly stand out above others, instead the episode seems peppers with lots of little great moments, and a surprising amount of charecters and content crammed in, if this episode is any indication of the episodes to come, looks like we are in for a treat.

No doubt this episode will get heavily overrated on the basis that it is a newer episode, as with most of the general concencous rating on tv.com.
  • The writers continue to try to "sell" us new characters.

I've never been a fan of new characters on this show, and these 4 in particular don't interest me in the slightest. We have a pilot who's a conspiracy theorist. Great. We have a red-head who found the skeleton of a polar bear in a desert. Enough with the polar bears. We have that coward from Saving Private Ryan, being all weird and nervous. And finally we have the ghostbuster. (seriously?) I find that I like Lost best when they keep the sci-fi mumbo jumbo at a distance and focus more on the character-driven stories. And enough with trying to be "clever" with the names of characters. Miles Straume (because it sounds like maelstrom! Isn't that clever?) Charlotte Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis of the Narnia books). What do these have anything to do with the show?
  • Good not bad just good

Jack and Kate meet the physician Daniel Farady first and then the psychics Miles Straume and they demonstrate that have not come to the island with the intention of rescuing the survivors. Locke and his group find the anthropologist Charlotte Staples Lewis, and Ben Linus shoots her. Meanwhile, the group of Jack finds the pilot Frank Lapidus, who landed the helicopter with minor damages that can be repaired. Jack forces Miles to tell the real intention why they have come to the island.

The second episode of the Fourth Season returns to the island, with four new characters, stops the confusing "flash-forwards" and it seems that will finally be the beginning of the explanations that I (and most of the fans and viewers) expect to be provided in "Lost". Why the interest of the government in Ben Linus, and how he is informed from the boat are some of the questions that I expect to see in the next episodes. My vote is eight.
  • An Asian guy who talks to dead people (Heroes anybody?), a drunk ex-pilot (no stretch here), an emotional scientist (big stretch) and a treasure hunter show up on the island(this makes sense). Jack gets bailed out and Ben gets one over on the crew.

A mixed eposide!

I liked seeing the plane discovered and knowing something was not right. The Dharma Polar Bear in Tunsia was great. The Treasure Hunter character fits right in. Faraday looks like a nice wrinkle as well. I didn't like the whole ghost buster nonsense. Miles is not needed on an Island that already has enough sci-fi elements. I wish Lost would keep the sci-fi contained (a.k.a. have an unrealistic world that can be explained within the premise of the show). I don't need somebody from back home who already can talk to ghosts. This is the same complaint I had of Desmond's character last season.In addition, how many times can Jack misread a situation and still be trusted. Ditto for Locke. Has anybody else wondered why Sayid is not ever just listened too!
  • The episode was pretty good. they've had better.

It was okay. They have had better episodes.
    It was just a little bit boring to me cuz nothing really
    exciting happened.
    I just can't wait until next week when new oceanic 6 is revealed. I think its going to be Sawyer. Then after that Locke and I'm thinking either claire or sun. But thats just what I think. What about you?
    Anyway... the episode was pretty good. Got a little boring in the middle though. I'm sure next week's will be pretty good. Hey does anyone know how much longer LOST is going on air? And how many more seasons it will have? I've read that they're going to end it at the sixth season but who knows... just wondering.
  • ...a headcase, ghostbuster, anthropologist and a drunk who is also a pilot.

Well, I get so lost each time I watch LOST but the show is really becoming too intricate for my comprehension. Which should bother me and stop me from watching which oddly does not. I cannot deny that it because a bit predictable like for example the scene where Jack thought Charlotte was running from something. Okay, they didn't know that Locke found fer first and we did but I so much knew that it was going to be some kind of animal running with the GPS transmitter. I even said to myself that it would be Vincent because the camera showed the dog very precisely a few minutes before. Heh, I'd do the same if I was Locke. Genious minds think about the same things... ;> The predictability was also painful when Jack asked Miles what their primary objective was. Maaan, we so much knew he wasn't gonna answer the question, didn't we? Not in that particular moment, it was so obvious that something would start ringing, singing, buzzing or that something would fall from the sky. Because he wasn't supposed to answer. But okay, I'll live with it.
    By the way I almost died of tremendous laughter when I saw the cow. And earlier when Locke said "I'd probably be dead if I still had that kidney". So ironic, isn't it?
    And Ben has a man on the rescue boat. What does it mean?! It's definitely gonna rob me from my sleep tonight, 'coz I'd be thinking about it! It means that LOST is back. Good old LOST that prevents me from sleeping at nights and makes me think about it!
  • Follows the Season Premiere!!!

Plot Details/Objective - » (8/10). Every season of Lost, new characters are introduced, but this time they decide to come with 4 new characters, and all of them seems that they will stay a little longer. Contrary to Nikki and Paulo, the Producers guaranteed a short sequence of flashbacks, connecting everyone of them to the Island somehow. And Ben have something to say too. The only problem is that our favorites survivors on TV don´t have nothing to do, so the writers complicated the 4 new character life´s and tied them with Jack/Locke tribe looking for them.

What I Like/Disliked -» Michael Emerson acting is pure gold. The new mysterious characters like Miles and Dan, which can uncover some of the mysteries of this Island. The ending was nice too.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Another good presentation and I think everybody liked to see another point of view.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Nothing too special, but was good enough to keep you interest.

Climax -» (7/10). Almost didn´t notice where the climax was, but was near the ending.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). Better than the last weak episode, since things are more interesting now.

Flashbacks Sequences -» (9/10). First time this happens and I think that every one o single Scene introduced very well more intriguing mysteries.

Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10). Another Trek like the last episode, but overall things are Ok.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Some dialogues between some of the characters was very interesting, but Michael Emerson stole the moment.

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

Suspense/Tension -» (7/10). You don´t Know what the news Arrivers want, so you don´t Know who is dangerous and if Jack/Locke are in danger.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (10/10). The 5 flashbacks sequence introduce new mysteries, hints and doubts.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The beginning of this episode Is about confirmation, but the end have a surprise too.

Thoughts Changer -» None. Nothing that could trick you or change you thoughts/opinion in something.

This episode continues to build the plot in a solid and sometime great ways, that make you interesting in what could happen. I don´t think that this episode is better than the season premiere, but it is almost very similar, only a little behind.
  • ...

I much preferred this second episode of the season to the season premiere for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I really enjoyed having the four separate flashbacks of the four new characters. That was a good idea of the writers, as each short but vital flashback had to get to the core of the character and their connection with the island without giving away too much or holding back too much either. It was also nice to see Naomi's separate flashback, seeing her in quite a different position back on normal land.

I liked seeing the two different groups of the Losties too, and how close they were at points, e.g. how they found different Freighters and the dog moving from one group to the other.

It was a good scene when Sayid and Juliet 'rescued' Jack and Kate. Although I didn't notice Jack's wink to Kate the first time round, and she obviously didn't either, it was noticeable on rewatching the episode. Juliet and Sayid made quite an interesting pairing for their couple of short scenes together. Also loved Mile's response to Juliet not being an Oceanic 15 surviver, interesting that she didn't attempt to explain who she was though, as I had always assumed 'hostiles' are those born and bred on the island.

Locke's bullet survival seemed slightly Messiac, which I guess is part of the island's themes; having a Godly leader. It provided a nice insight into ideas about power, corruption, charismatic leadership etc though.

All in all a good episode. The new characters are interesting. Well I find Dan a bit soppy and Miles annoying, Charlie could go either way but I am looking forward to learning more about the Pilot, and Ben's last remark about his inside man was definitely intriguing.
  • Four new characters are introduced !

The rescue team has arrived but are they really here to rescue or fight ? Locke and the others on his side are still travelling toward the others's cabins and Jack and Kate are now meeting with Dan, one of the rescuers. Here is a review of the four new characters added to Lost season 4 : 1) Dan !! : American. we didn't see much from his flashback. Dosen't have a very strong personality from what I see. 2) Miles !! : Asian. Apparently he can talk with the dead. He was found lying on the floor on a beach but when Jack comes to the resuce Miles gets up and points a gun at Jack demanding that he takes him to Naomi. When hes near Naomi's body he talks with Naomi's spirit and finds the truth which is that Naomi wasn't killed by Kate. 3) Charlotte !! : British. From her flashbacks we see that she's a palaeontologist and she also found a polar bear in the desert which was very weird but then again what isn't weird in Lost. She was found in the water by Locke and Claire and all the others. She fell from the tree. Locke takes her with them and then she gets shot by Ben but she was wearing a bulllet proof vest so she didn't die.
    4) Frank !! American. Pilot. He was supposed to be the one flying oceanic flight 815 and hes the one who flew the crew to the island. The helicopter is safe. From what I see looks it like Naomi was their leader and she was working with the man who visited Hurley in the medical center in his flashforwards.

At the end of the episode it is clear that the crew are here for Ben and Ben has a man on their boat.

Great episode !! Nice introduction. Favorite out of the new characters : Miles !! He's tough and funny. Good stuff !!
  • Continues to Be Great!!!!

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

• Continues to Be Great!!!!

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

• The freighter folk arrive, and a whole new set of problems come with them

We've known since 'D.O.C.' that Oceanic 815 was supposedly recovered from the bottom of the ocean floor a few weeks earlier. In the teaser of 'Confirmed Dead', we actually get stock footage from underwater cameras supposedly confirming that the plane crashed, and that there were no survivors. At the time, our first instinct may have been "Maybe the writers have been lying to us about the island being purgatory". Then with all the furor over Naomi's arrival and the subsequent attempts to contact the freighter, we let that all go. Now we meet some of the people on that freighter, and find that they all believed that this was a lie.

In the flashes, we get impression of the four people who came aboard the helicopter. The first one is Daniel Faraday, the man who parachuted down asking for Jack in the last minute of the previous episode.. Daniel seems more than a little scattered when he arrives on the island--- though he seems open and honest, it appears that he's talking a little too much. Furthermore, when we see him in the teaser, he looks a bit like he's suffering from some kind of breakdown (otherwise why would he cry when he sees the wreckage, and then say he didn't know why?) The other members of the team keep warning him not to speak, and they seem more than a little disdainful of him.

The next one we meet is Miles Straume, who seems more openly disdainful of the idea that the plane has crashed. He actually seems to have a supernatural skill in that he seems able to talk to the dead. When he lands on the ground, he seems certain that he's landing in the midst of hostiles, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble openly lying. He wants to assume command, but even after being taken hostage he doesn't reveal a single thing. There might be a reason to bring him to the island--- after all, there are a lot of dead people.

Charlotte Lewis is the wild card of the bunch. It's hard to know what an anthropologist needs to work here, but she seems to know more about the island than the others. She didn't seem surprised to find the skeleton of a polar bear in the Tunisian desert, or that this bear had a Dharma collar. Of the group, she seemed openly happy when she emerges from the water, and the most surprised when she found that there were survivors. But she must have come prepared, otherwise why would she be using a bulletproof vest in the middle of the jungle.

All three of these characters would be named regulars. Though we won't find it out for a while, they all have a connection with the island. However, the flashbacks that have the most potential involve characters who aren't regulars. Frank Lapidus is the most vocal in his disbelief that the recovered flight is Oceanic 815, and we learn his reason right away ---- he was supposed to be the original pilot. He flew the helicopter that brought everybody to the island, and managed to bring it down without crashing (which, given what we saw in the teaser was a minor miracle). But he also knows instantly that Juliet is a native of the island, and though he talks about making multiple trips back and forth, he manages to avoid saying if he'll take the survivors with him.

The last flashback involves Naomi and is the most mysterious. The man who assembled the team was none other than Matthew Abbadon, the man who threatened Hurley in the last episode (Suddenly his question: "Are they still alive?" makes a lot more sense.) He is equally adamant when Naomi questions him in saying "There were no survivors." Perhaps that is the real mission of the people on the freighter. It doesn't, however, explain why Naomi had such a detailed covered story about being there on behalf of Penelope Widmore, or why she didn't seem interested at all in Ben Linus (we'll get to that in a minute). The mission seems to depend on these four people making on the island. But as we will later learn that wasn't even the real purpose of the freighter. Was there another mission that we don't know about? We won't learn that for a while.

It seems strange that none of these people seem willing to reveal any information about the mission they are on. But then again, how does that make them different from the survivors themselves? When Locke tells his band that the reason he killed Naomi was because Walt told him to, Sawyer then follows with "What, you didn't ask any follow up questions?" It's a funny line, but it belies a bitter truth: has anybody been asking any follow-up questions. No one knows what Kate really did, or that Sawyer was a con artist, or that Locke was paralyzed, or that Hurley is a millionaire. Everybody has been keeping secret, and no one wants to share. Maybe that's the real reason that the Others have seemed to have so many advantages--- they know the survivors secrets better than the passengers themselves.

It's also interesting to compare Jack and Locke's response to the arrival of the freighter folk. Jack seems more than willing to help Daniel find Miles, mainly because despite the fact that he has a gun, he doesn't view him as much of a threat. When Miles says that the only way he'll believe the story about Locke killing Naomi is if they take her to her body, again he just accepts this as something to file away for a later date Just as Miles thinks that he has an advantage, Sayid and Juliet emerge with weapons ready to shoot.

Meanwhile, Locke seems a lot less concerned. Perhaps that's because his faith in the island has been restored. When he stands in the rain, he looks exactly like he did in Season 1 when there were storms and he knew almost instinctively that they were going to break. He doesn't even seem bothered by the fact that Ben nearly killed him. We finally learn how he survived: the bullet was a through and through. Then he says, if he'd had a kidney, he'd be dead. Ergo, he was meant to be conned by his father, because that destiny ended up saving his life.

When the group encounters Charlotte, Hurley seems more than willing to tell her everything, but Locke holds back, trying to hold her prisoner. He then gets completely taken by surprise when Ben breaks loose and tries to kill Charlotte (Hell, he would've succeeded if not for that self same bulletproof vest). It's hard to understand why Locke is so determined to keep Ben around. Sawyer wants to kill him, and only seems to hold off because Hurley indicates not to. (They've come a long way from Sawyer calling him Jumbotron a few weeks ago, but I'm thinking that after what Hurley did on the beach, Sawyer finally seems to be respecting him. Hell, he's even calling him Hugo.) Then Ben tries to curry favor by saying that he has secrets about the island, and then says he knows nothing about 'the monster'. (This I didn't believe for a second; if Juliet knew about it, I'm sure as hell Ben would have some idea what it was. Later episodes will demonstrate he knew a lot more about it than he was willing to tell.) And then he changes the game by giving a complete history of Charlotte to Locke's crew along with a record of all the other people on the chopper, and then the fact that they're here to get him. (Which raises the question again, where is he getting his information. Assuming that he was able to use the computers to gets files on the survivors of Oceanic 815, the electronics have been on the fritz since Desmond blew the hatch. If Ben only knew about the freighter after Mikhail told him {admittedly, that's a big if}, how would he get all of his intelligence, even if he does have a man on the boat? Am I over thinking this because it seems like a pretty obvious hole in the plot?)

If nothing else, this episode does a great job of introducing four radically different characters to us, all of whom are played by fine actors. Even though our hearts and minds automatically belong to the survivors, Jeremy Davies, Rebecca Mader, Ken Leung and Jeff Fahey are all impressive actors, and after knowing them for less than an hour, we seem to have a pretty good handle on all four. Of course, this being Lost, there are obvious a lot of secrets hiding below the surface, and we will start getting evidence that these people may know more about the island then they're telling. However, it's interesting that they don't seem dangerous in the way that the Others did, or sinister in the way Abaddon does in his brief appearance. (My guess is they wanted to use Lance Reddick more than they gave him time for, but he was still busy on The Wire and they didn't use him right). They just seem different, a little at sea, to make an appropriate pun. Even the fact that they're there to get Ben isn't by itself sinister; we know he's a dangerous man. They're as suspicious as we are, which means that the game is about to shift again
    My score: 9
  • The writers attempt to shake off their new character curse that was in Paulo and Nikki and introduce the Freighter Folk.

After the perfect set-up episode, "The Beginning of the End", it was now time to move the plot forward considerably the introduction of four new characters and with it new plot threads and situations on the island. Once again LOST manages to inject itself with fresh ideas and concepts, at theright time, keeping audiences interested in the overall saga unfolding. Despite fans knowing late in Season 3 that a Freighter load of new characters would be arriving to the island in the future, the fact that it has now happened hasn't lessened its impact. Each season has had its own focus, both thematically and characterization. Season 1 was focused on the survivors of the Fuselage camp, introducing the basic themes and mysteries of the island, that continue to expand as the series went on, and also focused on the general relationships between this camp of survivors and their attempts to survive on the island and to escape from it. Season 2 focused on the Tail-End survivors, led by Ana-Lucia, the Swan Station and introducing the DHARMA Initiative, more about the Others and the survivors struggles to live on the island on a long-term, perhaps, permanent basis. Season 3 was the focus on The Others and much of the plot threads dealt with them, their lifestyle, their relationships, their intentions and their history. It gave us much more insight into the DHARMA Initiative and how much of an impact they have had on the locations on the island, three new stations and the introduction of time travel and possible salvation from the island, in the form of Freighter lady, Naomi Dorrit. Season 4 is about the Freighter Folk, and like The Others in Season 3, are likely to be the driving force behind all the main plotpoints. But the season also hints at the future when at least six people escape the island.
    The four new characters introduced here are all very unique, the best, perhaps being nervy, scatty Daniel Faraday, whose scientific expertise is likely to tap very strongly into the island's mysteries pretty soon. Being spoilery it is surprising that the other characters haven't revealed as much about the island, as is to be expected. That gripe aside, the new characters are great additions.
    "Confirmed Dead" does go straight to the ultimate question: "What the Freighter Folk want?" and they answer it: Ben! the episode does leave more room for questions, but this is a good start and proves that the writers are not going to dillydally too much before revealing things, as they have done. One of the most interesting plot points of the whole episode and was likely the most discussed part on the forums was the DHARMA Polar Bear skeleton found in the sands of Tunisia!!! Not only did fans question how the polar bear, evidently the sole property of the Island and the Hydra Station we saw at the beginning of last season, got there, arousing all sorts of theories from time travel, teleportation and black holes, but Charlotte's reaction to discovering it. Alot of people rightly guessed that she recognised the Hydra DHARMA logo and was ecstatic to see it, almost as if that is what she had been looking for. Tie that together with the following scene where she loosens herself from dangling from a tree on the island, and whilst in the water, we can see her beaming and almost laughing in delight as she examines her surroundings. As we would discover in Season 5 [Spoiler ahead], Charlotte was once a member of The DHARMA Initiative.
    Also interesting is the opening scene which shows footage of the wreck of Oceanic Flight 815 in the Sunda Trench. This would naturally back up Naomi's story in Season 3, but the writers quickly poke holes in that theory when Frank Lapidus questions the identity of the Pilot. We all know that this is a fake wreck, as we saw the remains of the plane in the last episode as the backdrop for the split amongst the survivors. Perhaps, if we hadn't seen that we would be less inclined to scoff at the news footage. The flashbacks are just as good as the island footage and this is not usually the case. On first viewing, I wasn't sure about the episode. Maybe it was getting used to the new characters and the new situation. But after a couple of re-watches I love it and I think it is a better episode than the premiere.
  • I'm proud to say I watch Lost.

When I heard the final three seasons of lost would be cut down from 24 episodes per season to 16, I was really upset because the more the better and the more weeks I would be waiting for my 1 hour of Lost. What I think the writers wanted to do was to cut out all of the filler episodes and all of this 'boring bits' and put all of the focus on why we love lost.

Confirmed Dead was an action packed episode which was very revealing. I was really suprised that the writers gave us so much information about the newbies and they only just arrived. Usually they keep us in suspense for ages. That's a positive to the 16 episode season, they cram it in meaning every episode is amazing.

One of the helicopter people can aparently talk to ghosts. I'm really upset because although Lost is really science fictional to a point, ghosts and spirits is way to much for me.

Season 4 of Lost is definintly a turning point and the beggining of the end. Things are becoming clearer.
  • new characters!

Yay! New characters! A helecopter lands on the island and there were four on it. Three had to jump out and they separated. They all seemed to have small different reasons to be on the island. There was a physicist, a ghost-whisperer type, a pilot, and an archeologist. I love new characters. I really like the pilot. The female archeologitst was captured by Locke while Miles, the ghost-whisperer, and the physicist were with Jack and Kate. They met up with the pilot. Anyways, I really liked this episode because it's adding new characters. I think it did good for character development. Also, YAY, we finally 'know' what happened to the flight 815. Good episode.
  • New character introduced!

The more I learn about the island the less sense it seems to makes sense.

I enjoy all the new characters so far. I think they all make a great addition to the cast. What on earth do they want with Ben? I don't think he's that special. Miles seems to have the corner on unique now.

Locke has the market on crazy. He cannot kill Ben, but killing Naomi made sense to him in his world. It's beyond me why anyone would follow him.

The survivers are supposed to be dead. I wonder who faked the plane crash, and why. I wonder how they explain it when the six show up.
  • A fantastic episode giving you the feeling that all the puzzle pieces are starting to fit together...

It sounds stupid but the thing that I noticed most about this episode was how amazing the music was! Most of it was new to the show but it fit in brilliantly with all the scenes and really added to the feel of the episode.

The scenes in the episode were all individually crafted to be memorable, every line spoken felt like it would be remembered as one of the best in "Lost's Legacy"

If you look at the writing credits for the two writers of this episode, they haven't written a bad episode of Lost yet and Drew Goddard is probably more familiar for most recently writing "Cloverfield"!

"Confirmed Dead" introduces us to the 4 members of the helicopter team in brief, straight to the point and revealing flash backs. The final flash back is from the recently deceased Naomi's point of view and that fellow from the first episode who talked to Hurley shows up with Naomi... this guy is clearly part of a larger organisation, maybe something to do with Dharma or Widmore... who knows.

"I have a man on their boat..." the final line of the episode that will surely pave the way for more shocks and revelations?

When Locke asks Ben "What is the Black Smoke Monster?" I was on the edge of my seat waiting for a response, but for the first time ever I actually believe Ben when he said "I don't know", for the first time ever in the series his life was truly threatened by everyone around him, this makes me more suspicious of Juliet who seemed to know more about this creature than Ben does.

The series writers are at the top of their game, the 2 episodes of season 4 so far have been superb, and the last 5 or so in season 3 were equally as good, the show has found its momentum and if it keeps up we are in for a great ride.
  • Another exciting installment, much better than season premiere.

I just watched this episode and loved it, it was a lot better than the first episode in my opinion and I felt like it answered quite a few questions but then also raised a few too. I wonder who is covering up the missing the real Oceanic 815 with a fake plane? Why do the Freighters want Ben?

I think Ben's person on the ship is probably Daniel, well that's if the only people on the ship are those four which I'm assuming they are.

I can't work out whether Ben is just protecting himself from the Freighters or if he's protecting everyone. I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.
  • A slower pace, but still provided us with a lot of exciting information. Solid episode.

With the introduction of 4 new characters everyone (hopefully) realised that this episode would never be as fast paced as the last few have been. However, even though a lot of time was spent introducing new characters there was still a lot of interesting stuff going on. This episode put a lot of preassure on the acting abilities of the new cast members and luckly they didn't let us down. We were introduced to them through revealing flashbacks, one character's flashback, Miles, even continued to suggest the idea of spirits existing as he appeared to talk to a troubled spirit and maybe even that of newly departed Naomi. As the title suggests, we were also treated to a bit more about the apparent discovery of 815, and thanks to the second last of the 5 flashbacks we might be able to confirm that it is a fake reckage. The real set up for the episodes to come, however, was in finding the real purpose of the team searching for the island, Ben, who claims to have "a man on their boat." It will be interesting to find out more about the man who questioned Hurley in the premiere, and now appears to be in charge of setting up the team looking for Ben. Bring on the next Lost!
< 1 2 3