Lost

Confirmed Dead

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 07, 2008 on ABC

• A revealing episode!

The producers for "Lost" promised that the storytelling would accelerate now that the timetable for completion was in hand, and fulfilling that promise certainly seems to be at the forefront of their minds in this particular installment. At first glance, this episode seems to introduce unnecessary new mysteries to the overall puzzle, but in actuality, the picture is coming into focus.

In terms of the "present", the narrative advancement is incremental but incredibly important. Splitting the rescue party between Team Shepherd and Team Locke is an unexpected but welcome twist. It prevents the likelihood of ignoring Team Locke completely whenever telling stories about the rescue party, and with the revelation about Ben and the true purpose of the "rescue", this speeds the flow of information.

This time around, the flashbacks follow a more conventional format, which in turn is more unconventional in terms of "Lost" itself. Each act is prefaced by a flashback for one member of the rescue party, in order of introduction. In nearly every case, the members were reacting to the news that Oceanic 815 had been found at the bottom of the ocean.

Footage of the remains confirms that someone faked the crash site, though the circumstances remain hard to judge. It seems to resurrect the theory that Ben and his post-Dharma organization made sure no one would be looking for the true survivors, but there's the small issue of timing. Ben's organization wouldn't have had the information necessary to fake a plane crash that quickly. However, it's certainly clear that someone faked the crash, and that means the true fate of Oceanic 815 may not have been circumstantial after all.

Whatever the case, this would appear to debunk the theory that the rescue party was in some way meant to pre-empt Penny Widmore's efforts to find Desmond. That doesn't mean that Penny's father is off the hook, since it still appears that he knew about the island and happily contrived to get Desmond there ("Live Together, Die Alone"). All the evidence still points to the Hanso Foundation and their connection to the legacy of the Dharma Initiative, especially given the nature of the rescue party itself.

The first member of the rescue party is Daniel Faraday, who takes the news regarding Oceanic 815 rather hard, despite having no reason for such a response. According to Faraday, he is a physicist (hence the clever character name), but that doesn't seem to be the complete story. For one thing, his comments suggest an interest in fringe theories regarding electromagnetism. As it happens, unusual electromagnetic fields play a vital part in legitimate research into "paranormal" events, and they would certainly be important to anyone with fringe theories on the subject.

The second member of the rescue party is Miles. He sells himself as a professional "ghost buster", it seems, and that puts him in the category of con man. That could explain his paranoia to some extent; he may also have a military or mercenary background. Even so, his abilities do seem to be real to some extent (even if it's an intuition on the level of Frank Black from the series "Millennium"), and psychic abilities are nothing new in the "Lost" mythos.

The third member of the rescue party is Charlotte Lewis. Once again, on the surface, she appears to be a simple anthropologist, but her flashback and dialogue suggest something more. She certainly recognizes the Dharma symbol, and that suggests that she's been studying the appearance of similar remains throughout the world. Like the rest of the team thus far, it suggests a keen interest in the paranormal and historical/geographical anachronisms (like polar bears with Dharma collars in the middle of Tunisia).

The fourth member of the rescue party is Frank Lapidus. Unlike the rest of the rescue party, Lapidus seems to have little interest in the paranormal. Instead, his flashback reveals a far more interesting tidbit: he was supposed to be the pilot of Oceanic 815, and he's aware that the remains are fake. His presence on the team is revealing, to say the least.

The final flashback is devoted to Naomi, but it says far more about Matthew Abbadon (he of the demonic name). Abbadon's emphasis of the party line, that there were no survivors of Oceanic 815, strongly suggests that his organization was behind the fake crash site. It also leads to the speculation that his organization was behind the actual crash on the island, given the fact that Naomi is aware of where the plane actually fell. One interpretation is that Naomi was being told to ensure none of them escaped the island. (Perhaps because two of them already have, and presumably Abbadon is well aware of that fact.)

Taken in context with the other members of the rescue party, it's not a stretch to speculate that the team members were chosen for very specific purposes. It has been strongly hinted that elements of the Hanso Foundation are connected to the legacy of the Dharma Initiative as well as the Widmores. Naomi's possession of Penny's picture suggests that Abbadon's organization is connected to the effort to trap Desmond on the island, which further implicates the Widmores and Hanso. The Dharma infrastructure has remained intact to the extent that food drops continue. While one might assume that the drops were still for Kelvin, the fake crash suggests that someone knew about Ben's Others and their inroads into the rest of civilization.

What if Abbadon's organization knew about Ben and the Others, and their Purge of the Dharma Initiative? What if that organization had been planning to take back control of the island? Ben may be aware that a small mercenary force is waiting on the boat to take control, since he has a man there. Daniel, Miles, and Charlotte are all ideal choices for scientific study of the island, its history, and its properties. Frank would be an inconvenient voice to be silenced, presumably trapping the "science team" on the island once Ben and the Others were eliminated or taken into custody. The survivors of Oceanic 815 might have been intended as test subjects for new Dharma experiments, or a means of destabilizing the Others and making them vulnerable.

This is important, because in the future, Abbadon is very keen on getting Hurley to reveal if anyone else remains on the island, as seen in the previous episode. That suggests that something went very wrong with the mission to find Ben. Taken in that context, Team Shepherd's decision to control the relationship with the "rescue party" is a rather good one, and could point to the eventual circumstances of the "Oceanic 6" situation. The speculation that the "rescuers" are repelled, yet Abbadon's organization learns about six survivors, forcing the "Oceanic 6" to leave to protect the remainder, continues to be a viable theory.

Team Locke, on the other hand, is still trying to find its course. Locke is still operating on visions and instinct, probably in conjunction with Jacob, and that disturbs Ben greatly. Ben's stock is rapidly declining, and that makes him dangerous. Meanwhile, Sawyer is more than happy to take control if necessary, and it's only Hurley holding him back. Hurley and Locke now have the cabin in common, and that ought to lead to some interesting conversations, to say the least. Ben's operative on the boat, and their method of communication, ought to provide a ready source of exposition.

After the first season, which was all about the main group of survivors, each successive season has introduced new characters intrinsic to the respective season arcs. The second season featured the tail section survivors and their impact on the tribe. The third season was all about the struggle against the Others. This season appears to be about the threat of Abbadon's organization, which is tied directly to many unanswered questions about the island and its history. The trend of introducing new characters as a challenge to the existing cast continues, and thus far, the process continues to be successful.
  • It is amazing how an episode where so little happened can be so engaging!

Oceanic Flight 815 was found! This episode begins with a scene that gave me chills: the wrecked footage of the plane on the bottom of the ocean.

Cut to Daniel, one of the newbies, who seems particularly confused and upset. Not much is revealed in his flashback, but on the island we find out he is horrible at lying, but apparently a genius physicist. His acting skills are perfect and fill a void for a trait most shows overlook: awkwardness. He is a welcome addition to the Lost island and I can't wait to see more of him.

Next comes Miles, apparently someone to call when there is something strange in your neighborhood. He is a ghostbuster. That sounds as ridiculous as having a show about visions of George Micheal, but it is very well done and seems almost believable! Despite conning the woman and being very paranoid, he seems to have some redeeming qualities. His character seems to fill a void left by Ana Lucia with him being all nervous and sarcastic.

Next up: Charlotte Staples Lewis, or CS Lewis. Her backstory provided one of many "Lost moments" in this episode: finding a Dharma logo in a Tunisian desert by a polar bear's skeleton! That moment alone made this a great episode. Also, I don't know if it is bad acting or amazing acting, but her character seems to be hiding something big. If the latter, she did a great job of portraying a liar.

Finally, the lucky guy who got drunk before going in to work one day at Oceanic: Frank. Seeing Greg Grunberg in his flashback was great, especially after having him only on Heroes for the past few years. We didn't get to see much of him and he is probably the least interesting of the newbies, but he seems better than Nikki and Paulo at least!

As for what happened in the episode, not much of anything. This episode can be considered an introduction to the characters that will most certainly play a large role this season!

I think the winner for best acting in this episode (and season) has to go to Mr. Emerson. His portrayal of the manipulative Ben was perfect in this episode. His final words of this Lost episode ensured that the rest of season four will be great.

Why the 9.5? No Desmond!
  • A new approach... and it's a superb one.

Well, what can I say? Oh. My. God.

Lost season 4's direction is really surprising to me. The writers are definitely going with the Sci Fi approach more than ever.

The new characters for example. They are all connected to the island somehow.I liked how they were introduced, each one of them got a short flashback sequence. The new actors/actress done a good job, though I wish Kristen Bell would've been casted as Charlotte(as she was meant to, it's a pity the writers of Heroes offered her a role first).

I really liked Ken Leung(Miles) and Jeremy Davies(Dan)'s performance. Their characters are also great, as they seem to be the opposite of each other(Dan is hesitant whereas Miles is a badass). The episode's beginning wasn't much of a shock if you followed the find815 interactive game. I did, and, yes, I was still surprised. However if you didn't I bet your jaw dropped! Just as powerful start as in the season premiere. The island plot was great, but very similiar to the previous episode. Trekking and more trekking, just now there are 2 groups. Every scene with Ben in it was gold worthy. Michael Emerson was the best actor on the show before season 4, but now he's simply one of the best actors ever. His play with his facial expressions is brilliant... I thought the "meat" of the episode, though, was in the flashbacks. Each flashbacks sequence introduced a mystery, rather than developing character - but it's okay: I think at this stage it's the right thing to do. I loved the cliffhanger. The first episode of the season didn't really have one, this one did. The focus is back on Ben as it's revealed part of the mission of the new characters is to retrieve Ben. However, Ben appears to have a spy amongst them...

This season really feels "deep", and the mythology is getting more and more complex. So the obvious is inavoidable: the show is turning into a Sci Fi. With a ghost buster, several ghosts, a plane that's crashed yet it's not, a polar bear from the island found in the wrong place - the writers are setting the tone for the big endgame that's luckily still a couple of episodes away, but you can feel it coming.

Lost is always about questions and characters. Of course there'll be answers - eventually - but until then, enjoy the ride.

Because that's what Lost is. A rollercoaster.
  • Not our primary objective... oh yeah :)

Lost is getting better and better with each single episode.
    This one was another great installment - finally we are getting back the real lost-feeling. The moment when jack, kate, sayid and juliet see the chopper and when miles reveals why they are really on the island respectively - that is lost in perfection.

"Confirmed dead" is probably one of the best episodes of all four seasons. The four new characters fit perfectly into the show and their introduction was chosen well. Only thing that was not so good was the fact that charly seems to be forgotten by "every single person on this island".
  • Don't people like puzzles anymore?

We all know by now that LOST drives many impatient viewers crazy with unanswered questions. Just take a peek at the forum here to sample the madness. A popular discussion is who are the people on the freighter and why are they really here? Well here's the episode that that spills the beans.

They're here looking for Ben. There you go, a tangible answer. One piece for the puzzle. So hey, whiney ill-attentive complainers... go stick that up your- I'm mean, go stick that in the puzzle and start to see the big picture. Try to have some fun with it like the rest of us nerds.

If only Sawyer knew about Miles Strom when Naomi first showed up on the island with her phone, I'm sure he would've sang "who ya gonna call?"... Yes that's right, one of Ben's headhunters is a bonafide ghostbuster, fully equipped with a fancy dustbuster. At first, even I found this ridiculous, but I did not fret and moan, I remembered Locke and had some faith.

Abbadon did tell Naomi "every member of this team was selected for a specific purpose". Someone who can commune with spirits? Well there's a nugget! Jacob's kinda ghostly, no? Jack's dad still kickin' around, ay? Maybe this is going somehwere.

We also have an anthropologist that could come in handy with so many unanswered issues about origins and developments. Polar bear remains in the Tunisian desert tickle your fancy? How'bout we slap a Dharma Initiative collar round that sucker? Quick! send her out to the 4 toed statue.

A physicist that could indulge us in natural sciences such as magnetic anomolies. Farraday's already privy to the light on the island. He commented on how "it's strange out here [the light]. It doesn't scatter".

Oh, and a pilot. A pilot that was supposed to be flying 815. Get excited people! Don't you have pulses?

Other points worth noting...

The cow that Lapidus stumbled upon, I guess he's homless now that the Flame station is kaput. Maybe he's looking for that nice one-eyed man who used to fill his troff.

Since we're discussing Lapidus, in the scene where he's listening to the news report, did anyone notice the conveniently timed static on his tv? "NTSB said that..." ~static interference~ "...recovering the bodies will be next to impossible". I don't know, it may or may not turn out to be nothing.

Finally, I really didn't think they were even gonna touch this but they did. Locke acknowledges that Walt had gotten taller. We were all thinking it so I guess it had to be done. Kudos to the writers for not treating us like idiots who wouldn't notice such an inevitable technicality.

My overall feeling on this new season so far is that it they've managed to create great momentum. Being that we have a confirmed endpoint, the series now feels a lot more fluid then we're used to. It's rolling.

Oh and hey, complainers? I almost forgot. The question posed last week about Naomi's sister was answered too... A mere one week later. How's that for a turnaround?
  • First time review!

Once again great episode!!! I cant imagine any lost fan not liking this episode
    it kept all viewers glued to the screen. Since mid season 3 all episodes have been great and 'Confirmed dead' didnt dissapoint. I just hope we get some answers soon because im sure the die hard fans out there are getting a little fed up longing for answers. But without complaining, lost for me is definatley the best show on tv. Ben continued to manipulate everyone. 'absoulute genious' Micheal Emerson is supurb. New characters introduced and if they are here for the whole season i think they will fit in well. More than ever weve had answers but yet more and more questions. Will it ever stop??? i doubt it but lost has not let me down so far and i dont think it will , i think we all just have to be patient and not lose interest.
  • A Daniel, Miles, Charlotte, Frank and Naomi-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that I thought that this episode was absolutely amazing. This episode was so exciting. It was definitely just as good as the season four season premiere was. I loved all of the flashbacks of all the new characters. It was great to learn some information about their past in the first episode that they appeared. So far, I have to say that I'm very intrigued by Charlotte. One of the things that I loved the most about this episode was Sawyer and his story line. All things considered, I thought that this episode was just as well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost as the season premiere was, and I can't wait to get caught up on the rest of season four since I only saw the second half of the season as it aired on TV.
  • Brilliant episode that introduces viewers to the freighter team.

A great episode. It uncovers more mysteries for me, which is always fun. Like who is Abaddon, and why is he like the creepiest person ever? Why are they covering up the crash of Oceanic 815? Why didn't Frank pilot the airplane? Why wasn't Charlotte surprised to see the polar bear in the desert? Does she, along with the other three have connections with the Dharma Initiative? Locke made me chuckle this episode, which is really rare. He's usually so serious. Daniel is definitely my favorite of the Freighter Team. He definitely has tourettes. I Can't wait for next week!
  • Ok what was that all about?

A huge amount of things happened in this episode which makes a change on Lost. So in this episode we get to see all of the rescuers who each seem to have a differnet motive. But what is made clear is that they are not intrested in saving the Oceanic survivors. They want Ben for some reason. Also what was all the flash forwards about with all of the resvcuers surviving? And why is one of them able to speak to spirits? Perhaps the biggest question made in this episode is the Polar Bear which is found in the Desert with a Dharma tag! And it appears the remains are millions of years old! So it seems that atleast Sayid, Juliet, Kate and Jack will be going back to the ship...but who exactly is Ben's spy? and why o why is Ben still alive? how many times can that guy escape death? Well The whole Locke thing is getting very weird, him taking orders from Walt. Well John seems to be letting Ben live a little longer but i wonder why the team want Ben. I am also intrested in finding out more about the fake Oceanic crash. Why is it being covered up? Who has the power to do something like this? And who is the guy who seems to be pulling the strings begind the opperation? Well this episode did answer a few things like what they are doing there, but it also raised more questions. I hope we are given some answers soon as i really want to find out what exactly is going on. But overall this was a brillient episode and i hope more are like this. Lets start getting to the answers soon!
  • The survivors come face to face with their supposed 'rescue', as four strangers arrive on the island.

After a mind blowing opening sequence, this episode picked up right where the previous left off with Daniel Farady introducing himself to the group. The pace quickened in a matter of moments as he, Kate and Jack went in search of the other people who were part of his crew. This episode was awesome, and introduced four new characters to the show in a very mysterious but yet, somehow more revealing, fashion than new characters from previous seasons.

The first three flashbacks shed light on who these people from the freighter were, and the final flashback showed us why they were selected and it was quickly revealed why they were there. For Ben. The ending sent chills down my spine and as always, I can't wait for the next episode. Michael Emersen was brilliant in the episode. Rebecca Mader and Jeremy Davies were also standouts, and I'm looking forward to more from their characters.

All in all, an amazing episode, that is sure to shape the direction that this series is now heading in.
  • The Survivors meet the people who parachuted on to the island, and boy are they and interesting group. More importantly, they have something to hide.

Great episode, very revealing, and just some darn fine television from Lost this week. This episode was engrossing, interesting, exciting, and it made you think. Some of the reveals were very intriguing and this episode was a showcase of one of the best things about Lost:

Sometimes it's what you don't see or it's what isn't revealed that makes it great. Though we all love that great release of a big secret being revealed, if you reveal too much it gets boring and loses focus.

There are four new people on the island, they parachuted in from a helicopter that was launched from the boat. The first one, Dan, meets up with Kate and Jack, but is rather uneasy as he contacts the mysterious George. Using the satellite phone, they track down Miles, who can talk to dead people (interesting). The next new person, Charlotte parachutes in and gets stuck on a branch above some water, she cuts herself down and is met by Locke and his crew. The final person, the pilot of the chopper named Frank, sets off a flare and is met by Jack, Kate, and crew.

Seems that Dan is a physicist who was saddened by flight 815 going down, Miles is a ghostbuster who uses a vaccuum cleaner?, Charlotte is a cultural anthropologist who found something interesting in Tunisia, and Frank is a pilot who claims that the pilot of flight 815 wasn't who the media announced he was.

Meanwhile Jack gets the drop on Dan and Miles with help from Sayid and Juliet. They also meet up with Frank and find the helicopter Sawyer beats the crap out of Ben and does so again after he tries to kill Charlotte, and just as Locke is about to blast on Ben for what he did, Ben gives a Spectacular reveal-he gives Locke and company info about the people on the boat, how you ask? He has a man on the boat! This is getting interesting, real interesting.

Another big reveal was the finding of a polar bear skeleton in Tunisia, what makes it weirder, it had a Dharma collar with the Hydra logo on it! Something is screwy here...To make things even more interesting, Naomi and crew were hired by Matthew Abbadon! There is something very creepy about this guy.

The acting was really good, not as good as last week, but still good. Michael Emerson is an awesome actor and he did it again this week, his portrayal of Ben is nothing short of awesome. Jack showed some level headedness and foresight, but he is still ruled by his emotions which could be an issue. Terry O'Quinn also had a stellar performance by enhancing the enigmatic characteristics around Locke, and growing more into his role as a leader.

The direction and cinematography fit well with the pacing of the episode which enhanced the mood and feel of the show. The dialogue was good, but it was kind of sparse, that can be good or bad, but given the nature of the episode it was acceptable.

Overall, Lost is off to a great start. If things keep going this way, it's going to be an intense season.
  • Because I have a man on their boat!

Season 4, you sure as hell know what you're doing. Only two episodes in and damn things are going soo good. This episode was excellent! We were thrown so much new information and so much excitement that I simply cannot wait for the next episode. Ben pulls some crazy **** on us showing how committed he is in what he believes in. I love all the new characters, they add so much excitement to everything. Seeing a helicopter sitting on the island made me very excited, and I just wanna know who the hell is that man on their boat... Michael perhaps.
  • We are proud to to present to you: The rescue team! Fasten your seatsbelts, because introducing new characters has never been more exciting.

It's not easy bring a goup of four new characters into a show that's been running for lready three years. Well, that couldn't have done it any better. While normally episodes like this one slows down the show (remember "the other 48 days" in season two?!), "confirmed dead" manages to combine the backstory of the team-members with things we wanted to see for a while anyway (I don't wanna give stuff away for people who haven't seen it yet).

Every member of the team lands on a different part of the island, which gives us the chance to see all the Losties, even though they are heading in different directions. They bring a lot of questions with them to the island but also a lot of answers. They're just not willing to tell them....yet.

"confirmed dead" got me really excited about season 4. It's a well written, throughout interesting episdoe. It has written LOST all over it and gives me the feeling the answers are coming our way....really!
  • "I'll tell you what we're doing here!" Great episode, love the new characters, especially Daniel.

Another great episode from Lost. I think we have a better idea of what Matthew Abbadon meant when he said last episode, "Are they still alive?" Perhaps the survivors are able to leave the island and keep the freighter people on it. I'm glad that Ben is still important in the show. I have a feeling that Ben is going to end up paying for killing all of the Dharma people. And how the hell did a Dharma polar bear end up in Africa? As far as the flashbacks went, I'm glad that we know a little something about each of these new characters, so that they aren't a total mystery. Especially with Daniel, it makes us care more for them, which could be mind games the writers are playing with us, when they turn out to be really bad. I'm sure they are not just there to pick up Ben and leave, otherwise it could be a real short trip for them.

Overall, great episode. Can't wait for more.
  • The show is coming back!

Loved it! The show is coming back to be as good as it was before!
    In the beginning there were some parts of Find 815, the final part when Sam was with the sonar looking for the Black Rock! I think this "rescuers" are from The Maxwell group...but why are they looking for Ben? How does he know about them? I love this Lost's misteries!
    What about Vincent? Long time I haven't seen him! Didn't Walt take Vincent with him?
    But my biggest question is how did they find that underwater plane, if the real one is on the island? Maybe the bald black guy has something to do with this!
    I can't wait to see another episode!!!
  • So Lost just raised the bar for itself with this fanatstic new episode. All kinds of interesting new developments and questions to be answered, such as the ones in my (108 word) review:

Why is Ben Linus so damned important to these four new people? Why is Oceanic Flight 815 on the bottom of the ocean? What IS up with that black smoke monster? Whatever happened to Michael and Walt after they left the island... was that really Walt who appeared to Locke? Why was there a polar bear skeleton and a Dharma Intiative logo in that excavation site in Tunisia? Is Miles really a Ghostbuster? When did Matt Parkman change his name and decide to pilot airplanes? (well, that was shown in the first episode, but I digress) I look forward to finding the answers in the coming episodes.
  • Are they good ... or are they bad?

Holy cow, I just can't decide are the rescuers good or are they bad? Are they good for the Losties but bad for Ben? Are they good for Ben and bad for the losties? Man ... so many questions. Each of the rescuers had a really interesting storyline on their own, it looks like we'll get some extra flash backs which will be exciting. I really liked this episode because we're again introduced to new and interesting people. I really thought this episode was paced well and well written. I loved the way the characters were coy as well as hard. It'll certainly be interesting to see how the rescuers are integrated into the island, and which side they integrate with.
  • A revealing episode

I thought this was a good episode. It was like a character development sort of episode and also quite informative as the main intentions of the so called rescuers was revealed and an important question was raised because of this intent of theirs.

Some conclusions could be drawn from this episode concerning the survivors of the crash. Ben was at his best again in this one, hes planning something don't you think and like Sawyer said its only a matter of time before he gets to them. I kind of like the beating he got from Sawyer. The episode focused on the rescuers.So all in all it was an informative episode.
  • Newcomers on the island...

Now, we have a change to met with the newcomers to the island, whose helicopter crashed on the island at the end of the previous episode. So, most of the episodes goes for running around the island and picking up the crew members and thanks to the flashbacks we get more idea who they are and more and more hints that they are not out for good. They are after Dharma, I am quite sure what they want from them. And some character development too - it is building up some kind of dark scenario of events what will follow and the words Hurley said last episode - he wishes that he had not gone with Locke. What is going to happen?

But the end.. it was worth it all - finally it comes out that Ben does know something and maybe that is their greatest advantages against the new people.
  • Great episode as usual! =)

I liked the episode! and it was nice to find out that the Dharma are not just on the island but are doing the same thing all over, and possibly for many many years, as we have never seen the Dharma logo that was on the polar bears collar, so i am guessing they have different stations all over the world, as we have seen polar bears on the island, in tropical weather, and the polar bear in the desert, a very dry atmosphere, both very drastically different climates for a polar bear to survive in!

Some people are speculating that it is Mikhail who is Bens source on the freighter, but if that is the case, i wonder how he got there? considering it also looked like he got blown up by the grenade that caused the flood to kill charlie, but i guess as we have seen Mikhail does not seem to die very easily, maybe he can't die, who knows, and also some think it is Micheal on the frighter, i think this would make more sense, as ben could have given them directions to the freigheter, as we know ben does not want anyone to leave the island so i can't see why he would just let Micheal and Walt leave!

My question is, i wonder what will happen to the helicopter, as i dont think that this is what they leave the island on, too obvious if you ask me, something will definatly happen to it, possibly another Locke sabotage! and out of all of the questions Locke could have asked Ben before he said he was going to shoot him, why ask what the monster/smoke is, he could have asked anything! aand it just left us thinking we were going to get some answers and then we did not find out what it is! speaking of which, it has not shown itself in a while! so i think someone must be activating it!

Next episode looks interesting! looking forward to it and hopefully find some answers, or maybe not! =)
  • This is REAL Lost season premiere! Each new regular is dynamite; no Ana-Lucias, Paulos, or Nikkis here.

An exhiliarating introduction to four (maybe 5) recurring characters, a reinvigoration of Ben's villiany, an over-the-top, can't-believe-he-wrote-this-in-a-week musical score, a recommittment to at least one of the island's central mysteries, and a break from the usual format make for a memorable stop in the Lost journey.

While the season premiere transitioned us from the events of the season three finale into the world of the two opposing camps, this episode felt like a more typical Lost season premiere, disorientingly introducing the new element that will ostensibly be the main conflict of the season.

Appropriately, then, the old characters felt well-defined, particularly, Locke, who we see basking in his unchallenged leadership while still somewhat fumbling the ball in high-pressure situations. The Jack / Kate dynamic also feels right; in this episode, they work together for a common goal without Kate's betrayal shenanigans, and without real hints of the 'quadrangle.'

What's impressive is the high quality of the new actors and characters. Ken Leung, Jeremy Davies, and Lance Reddick especially give their characters a zeal that we haven't seen a newcomer give since Ben & Eko. Like they did in season two, the Lost writers have introduced us to a sad and dysfunctional new ensemble that will no doubt prove a foil to our two remaining camps. I think that even though Ana-Lucia was ultimately a failure of a character (perhaps due more to the actress than the writing), that season two tail section had a certain made-you-want-to-watch-more quality. Season three, by comparision, only really shared Ben and Juliet as major Others characters, and ben was already known to us.

The episode's unique flashback structure is effective--some fans will undoubtedly see any flashback-instead-of-flashforward episodes as Lost going into a slump, so having these chracters get their flashbacks out of the way all at once was clever and refreshing.
  • Lost: the second episode of Season 4. We are given background into the four mysterious "rescuers" and once again the lines are drawn between the people who don't want to be rescued and the people who do.

Very confusing episode tonight; it sheds light on not one but four shady chracters who have come to the damn island to rescue the survivors of Oceanic flight 815. There's Daniel who sees the plane wreckage on TV and starts bawling for unknown reasons, Miles who is payed by an old woman to communicate with her dead grandson who "tells" him where a stash of money is being hidden (i could not make head nor tail of this Flashback), Charlotte an anthropologist who, while on a desert site, finds the bones of an animal from the Dharma Initiative and Frank a grizzled drunk who called the Oceanic hotline saying the pilot wasn't the man who flew that plane because he wasn't wearing his wedding ring and then drops a bombshell by saying that he was originally supposed to be the pilot of Flight 815. I used to think it was cheesy how the good guys always win but now, who are the good guys? The rescuers, the people being rescued or the people who say the rescuers are bad? God knows. Since Charlie is dead and the funniness of Hurley and Sawyer have been muted; the blood - soaked Ben is the main source of laughs in this episode with several rude quips which usally result in a thrashing from his captors. I think it's safe to say that the lust for Jack and his clan to be rescued has clouded their judgement, if i hear the phrase "off this island" again i'll lose it. Even now it's doubtful whether he's even considering the safety of his people or just leading them into a deadend. Like most of the episodes, especially in Season 3 where they were basically for filler and nothing happened nor was discovered, the first 3 of Season 4 have been vital and there is never the feeling of dragging nor stalling, i can't wait to see what this Season has for us.
  • Meet the Freighties

This season has two major forces on opposite ends affecting it. The first is the writer's strike, which ended days after this aired. Originally the show had eight completed scripts, which have been filmed and presumably been in post-production since then. Now with the writers back at work, but the studios sticking to the September-May model, so "Lost" may only complete 13-14 episodes and have the season shortened from the intended sixteen. Of course that is problematic to the writers' vision of three sixteen-episode seasons. However, shortening the season (and perhaps it's end as well) has helped "Lost" tighten its focus. It's unlikely we're going to have any "Jack's wacky tattoo adventure" episodes in this bunch. In fact, this episode begins to introduce us to some of the freighter's crew (who will be referred to as "Freighties"), including some information we probably wouldn't have gotten for some time, or a centric episode devoted to one of them. In some cases, we learn something about them before they're formally introduced on island (or in Miles' case, have a line).

Daniel, who we saw in the last episode parachuting on the island in an unstable helicopter, seems to be a reference point for the audience to see their perspective. So far he's been sympathetic, but there are hints to mental problems. Naomi refers to him as a "head case". His sobbing over the news of the crash could've been sympathy, but not knowing why he was so upset is telling. Then there was the weird light scattering remark. I'm assuming that's not meant to be another part of the island mythology.

Some may pin Miles as the loose cannon that Ben and Locke fear will destroy the island. He feels about the castaways much like Team Locke feels about the freighties. He also doesn't have a great report with his crew, referring to Naomi's body as "meat". However, he could easily sway the other direction. Also, Ken Leung's performance keeps him from being annoying, which could've easily happened with this character.

There is something to him keeping the drug money, but despite that, he seems to be a genuine medium. Some may bemoan another supernatural element added to the show, but considering psychics and elements of dead characters appearing to others, it isn't that hard to believe.

Charlotte, whose character name references C.S. Lewis, was noteworthy last summer as the role Kristen Bell turned down to play Elle on "Heroes" (a decision, considering "Heroes" meandering second season, she's probably regretted). It adds a bit when looking at how Rebecca Mader plays her. Had Kristen Bell picked "Lost", we (or at least those who've seen "Veronica Mars") would probably sympathize with her more. Charlotte shows more duality than the other freighties. In her flashbacks she's rude, but cunning when it comes to getting the information she needs. Now she plays naïve and sweet towards the survivors. I could see Bell pulling this off, as Elle has similar drives.

Frank's motivation for being part of the mission is the only explainable one in this episode: he was originally the pilot for 815, but was bumped for the man the monster killed in the first episode. Some, citing the growing conspiracy angle in the crash, believe Frank was pulled because he was a better pilot, and could've avoided the crash altogether. Then we learn that Frank's memorized the manifest of all 324 names and his interest turns to obsession. Jeff Fahey is the only freighty not in the main cast, so one has to wonder if he'll be killed soon.

This episode hints at Abbadon's motivation for visiting Hurley in the institution; he recruited the freighties on their mission to retrieve Ben. Maybe his encounter with Hurley was to make sure he stayed quiet, or maybe he turned against his people in hopes of finding the truth. I doubt he's the monster as some theorized using slow motion video. Like many questions, this is for another episode.

Another question is Abbadon's choice of this strange group to recover Ben. Why send a bunch of non professionals to a dangerous island (the irony of course being the professional was the first killed)? The answer may point to their talents and how they relate to island phenomena. Frank may have been chosen because of his piloting skill and his knowledge of what really happened to 815 possibly jeopardizing the conspiracy.

Perhaps this was a plot hole, error in writing or the writers acknowledging the freighties' knowledge of 815 as it ties to the island, but why does Naomi ask Abbadon what to do if they encounter the survivors when there's no clear connection between the two to those unaware? Abbadon seems adamant about there being no survivors, yet when questioned, Miles sarcastically feigns surprise that 815 had survivors. Obviously there's more to this mystery.

Upon their arrival, the initial relief among Kate and Jack give way to feelings of mistrust. While Daniel's initially friendly, there's an uncomfortable amount of secrecy between them, which is made worse by seeing the gun he has on him, the private phone call and the gas masks. Knowing they were after Ben and presumably his action in the purge, their tactics makes sense. It also makes sense considering what happened to Naomi. It could've easily been Locke's killing of her is the turning point that makes the freighties do whatever bad things that haunt Jack and Hurley in the future, but as many first guesses go, there was more to it.

Jacob's cabin receives a nice follow up, with Locke and Ben learning of Hurley's discovery. Their reactions were very different. Locke sees it much like he would have in the first season, as a proud moment where someone else has a close connection to the island. Ben likely sees it as another threat.

One has to give credit to Michael Emerson. Not only is he one of Lost's consistently excellent players, but recently his character has been beaten up so badly I'm surprised his jaw isn't total mush (island healing must take more pity on that than his tumor). As Locke says, his biggest weapon now is his mouth, but even now we see what that can do, as he riles up Karl, Sawyer and Locke in this episode. Like I mentioned in the premiere review, Ben is constantly plotting to get the upper hand, even when that seems impossible.

The big twist at the end reveals just why Ben was so worried about these people coming: they're after him. It appears that some off the island outside of The Others are aware of who they are and their operation on the island. This could point to some post-Dharma group. It would make sense that Dharma off island would become aware of the purge. Maybe they regard Ben as a terrorist for his actions. Now whether they want him simply to know who his inside man is or for something more is yet to be tackled.

The first choice of the inside man is of course Michael. In season two Ben agreed to let Michael and Walt go off on their boat, but throughout season three they continually mentioned Ben not wanting anyone to leave the island. So why let Michael go, even with a kid with psychic abilities too powerful for The Others to contain? The producers have said that Michael's story isn't finished and with Harold Perrinau back in the cast, that would be a good way to reintroduce him.

This episode effectively sets up major conflict between Teams Jack and Locke. Team Locke has two things Jack wants. While they may not want to do Charlotte harm (besides Ben), she's in a way their hostage. With her, in addition to Ben, around, they have certain leverage should the freighties become hostile.

The excavation of the polar bear remains is a huge curveball. Since their first appearance, it's been explained that the polar bears were brought by Dharma to Hydra Island, where they eventually escaped (likely during the purge) and swam to the main island. Having one wind up in Africa is a completely different thing altogether. One interesting theory involves the hatch implosion scattering everything around it through wormholes. Maybe two bears were there, explaining how Eko was prisoner of one in "Further Instructions". It also could explain why that giant metal ball that used to be The Swan wasn't in the hole.

Although still in the introductory phase, the season's direction comes off as more confident and less stalling for time than before. In previous seasons, it's unlikely we would've learned much about the freighties until possibly six episodes in or more. With the shortened season and the writers' ability to figure what plot points to hit and when better, this episode maintains the confidence of the premiere as the season takes shape. As a result, this introduction is the best since the first season.
  • Great Episode.!

Another awesome episode from Lost. I think we have a better idea of what Matthew Abbadon meant when he said last episode, "Are they still alive?" Perhaps the survivors are able to leave the island and keep the freighter people on it. I'm glad that Ben is still important in the show. I have a feeling that Ben is going to end up paying for killing all of the Dharma people. And how the hell did a Dharma polar bear end up in Africa? As far as the flashbacks went, I'm glad that we know a little something about each of these new characters, so that they aren't a total mystery. Especially with Daniel, it makes us care more for them, which could be mind games the writers are playing with us, when they turn out to be really bad. I'm sure they are not just there to pick up Ben and leave, otherwise it could be a real short trip for them.

Overall, great episode. Can't wait for more. And can't wait to see more of Daniel.. :D
  • This was great as always (contains some spoilers)

This week we had Naomi flashback after she was dead which was weird, and we got 3 new people who are now on the island looking for Ben. We have I have thought they should kill Ben earlier and now that they finally want to, he is going to be useful because they are looking for him for a reason. We find out that next week they will reveal another one of the "Oceanic 6" that means that in addition to Hurley, Jack and Kate we will have the 4th member that we know will make it off of the island. The end was amazing, as always and we will see what becomes of it.
  • I'm so lost - but I love it!

This was one of the best episodes of Lost. I wonder if Ben is wanted dead or alive. I noticed that Charlotte was sitting very calm and still with her back slightly turned when we thought Ben might be shot. What do they want Ben for? I like these new characters - they add depth and I finally feel that the show is going somewhere - I just have no idea where!
    Locke and Ben both seemed upset when they suspected that Hurley saw the cabin. There are some predictable moments like the dog running and Ben taking the gun. What secret is Ben protecting anyway?
    I think the picture they had of Ben was taken off the island. I like the reference someone posted about the similarities between Charlotte S. Lewis and C.S. Lewis. Coincidence...? Part of the master plan or just a way to throw the viewers off?
    This is definitiately an episode you don't want to miss and hopefully the sign of the best season so far!
  • After a bust up at camp Locke, Ben reveals he knows more about the people from the helicopter…

So, the episode starts with someone looking under the sea, in probably a submarine. We're not sure what they're looking for, if anything, and all seems to be normal. Until - boom - they find an airplane at the bottom of the sea! An airplane that isn't broken into three pieces, an airplane that in fact, looks too intact, but then another - boom - and apparantly it's Flight 815! Ok so now we're thinking, it must be a flash back because Naomi said that the plane had been discovered and everyone was found dead.

Then zoom in on the guy who crash landed last week from the helicopter, he's watching the footage on the news and he's in tears! Again we're thinking, hmm maybe it's a flash forward?! Why is he so upset about the "discovery" of Flight 815 if he hadn't been on the Island yet?

Back to the Island and this guy mentions that there were four, including him, who jumped out of the helicopter, so now Jack and Kate have another mission on their hands - to help this guy find his helicopter friends! This guy seems a bit jittery though, like he's hiding something.

They find one of his helicopter friends, who after a flash forward or flash back (who knows at this point?!) appears to be some sort of ghost buster. He points his gun at Kate and demands to know where Naomi's body is. Apparantly he can speak to the dead?! Ahh Lost never ceases to dissapoint with the surprises!

So Locke and co. stumble accross one of their other helicopter friends and from her flash back (yes, I've come to the conclusion that they were all flash backs by now ) we see that she discovered a Polar bears remains in the desert! and that's not all, a Dharma logo thing! By this time we're like, OK, so she's part of Dharma? And it's Dharma who have come to the Island to take back what's theres? Who knows…

The last guy that Jack and co. find is the pilot, and wait for it, it turns out he was supposed to be the pilot of Flight 815 that day of the crash, oh and one more thing - apparantly he knows from the footage of Flight 815 that it is a fake, because the Pilot never took off his wedding ring, and in the footage he wasn't wearing one!

This comes as no surprise really, because we all know it's fake footage, but still…

So now all the helicopter people have been discovered it starts to become clear that they aint there to rescue the Losties. When they discover Juliette is a "native" they quickly become aggressive, asking where he is… after showing them a photograph, it's clear that they have come to the Island to find Ben, and I'm guessing it isn't to ask how his rabbit is!

After a bust up at camp Locke, Ben reveals he knows more about the people from the helicopter… and then - boom - the episodes over and we have to wait for more! Ahh Lost just gets better and better!

My review and more at www.lost-isle.net
  • Wow, this show is definitely getting back on track...

Season three was bumpy, let's admit it. While it ended fantastically, it started in the dumps. "Lost" so far this season (and I know this is only the second episode) has gotten back to the amazing storylines, conspiracies, and plot twists that made this show so good during its first two seasons. I think people will have mixed reactions to this episode because there was a LOT of mythology in it. The introduction of the four new characters was pitch-perfect. It definitely made up for the trainwreck that was Nikki and Paulo last season (although I loved the episode in which they were killed off). I wish we had more than eight episodes this season, although with the writers' strike very likely nearing its end, perhaps we may get a full season. This episode was definitely in the top 5 best.
  • four new guys join in LOST!

after jack and kate meet daniel faraday,the clumsy scientist (his name is kinda funny,though),they search for another team members.

first,they found miles.in my opinion,he's another weirdo since desmund.they both have a sixth sense power.and miles power is talking with ghosts.eww..creepy!and one more thing.why they cast an asian guy to be a ghost mediator?it's so cliche.

on john locke group,they meet with charlotte.(another hottie since kate and shannon!and with her british accent?urrgh!i love her).
    charlotte is a paleontologist,but john (and ben) seems not trust her,and suddenly ben shoot her.oh ben!what a bad move!
    but she still alive,thanks to her vest.

and then,jack group found another team member.i forget his name,but he's the pilot.and for another surprise to us,the helicopter is there!so it might be a chance for them to get off the island?(i'm kinda boring with the island,though)

and for the mystery for this episode,yeah,the four of them coming for this island not to saved the survivor of oceanic 815,but to finds ben!
    i hope ben died in the next episode!haha.
  • Great addition to an even twisting plot.

The episode "Confirmed Dead" is one of the most compelling in recent additions to the show. We were introduced to four new character. Each with a special incite or "ability" to add to the already intricate cast. We also find out more about the Darmah Initiative. How did a polar bear get in the desert? Why was there a plane at the bottom of the ocean and how did it get there? All said and done the was an excellent addition and left us with great expectations of future episodes. It will be interesting to see how new characters are used to give us incite to the island.
< 1 2 3